What went wrong? How would you fix GameStop?

What went wrong? How would you fix GameStop?

Attached: gamestop_v2_1000x800.jpg (1000x800, 191K)

digital renting and buying would be the only viable option

Stop selling used games at ebay prices
And get back into 5th and 6th gen games

There's a guy on youtube that was a top Manager regionally that can give you all the inside dirt and numbers (they sued him somewhat recently).

They paid a billion for that boost Mobile shit. That's the sole reason they're in fire right now. They're still be fucked, but they'd be around for another decade instead of only two more years without the debt

Hire corporate executives who understand the game industry.
Stop being filthy jews with trade in values. There are like 5 mom and pop shops in my city and all of them advertise that their trade values are better than gamestop. I went in one and showed them a gamestop value on my phone and they added five bucks to it.
If no name shops are able to afford it, a multi million dollar corporation sure as hell can

>How would you fix Gamestop?
I worked at Gamestop for four years, I only quit a couple of weeks ago. My answer: I wouldn't fix it. Let it burn.

What's really sad is the trade in value is better than other outside markets, Japanese shops are even more insultingly low.

Source

Isn’t boost mobile a phone company what would GameStop want with them

Publishers and Platform owners are basically doing that already, so Gamestop would be a Johnny-come-lately and fail on that.

To be fair trading games is a luxury you can’t do that with other forms of media at legitimate businesses. It only exists because trading was a common thing for gamers to do even before GameStop so they just picked up the practice... except you DONT trade and you “”SELL”” them

Yea Forums will be better once GameStop, his annoying employees and mediocre business practices are gone

Dude, they could have bought into redbox and or blockbuster.
Gone full disc media and put themselves in direct competition with the streaming and digital age.
Fuck that shit
That makes too goddamned much sense.

I walked into a movie theater today and they had t-shirts and funko pops right at the front in your face. It reminded me of how many gay products GameStop has now.

I remember shopping there to be very annoying. I don't recall exactly what it was.. probably some stupid upsell, asking for preorders or some annoying "join our club" shit. Just let me buy my stuff and leave.

...Boost is owned by Sprint. Where the hell does Gamestop come in?

You're think that other phone company.

>Major game retailer GameStop has been having more than its fair share of struggles lately. After giving up on a search for a buyer in January, the company posted a massive loss of $674 million for the most recent fiscal year. As of today, GameStop stock is trading at less than 9% of its recent peak value in late 2015, and the continuing rise of digital game downloads and even game streaming isn't likely to help the company recover.

>GameStop's COO and CFO departed the company after multi-decade tenures earlier this year. And the bad fortune continued yesterday as news broke that GameStop was laying off 50 of its "field leaders," including regional managers, HR staff, and loss prevention leaders. This move comes as part of a "Gamestop Reboot" program designed in part to rebuild stores as gathering places for esports and retro gaming fans.

>For many consumers, the seemingly imminent demise of GameStop is not a cause for sadness. The company has a reputation in many corners for poor prices on trade-in games, high-pressure sales tactics for extraneous add-ons, unfriendly staffers, poor return policies, and, in recent years, stores filled with toys and Funko Pop figures instead of games. (RIP to GameStop subsidiary ThinkGeek, by the way.)

CEO was probably in bed with the people who owned Boostmobile and it was a massive embezzelment scheme.
Like most major games are now.
As hinted at by Hoe Quinn when she tried to leverage what little she knew to protect herself from jail time.

It’s not really a luxury when its the company’s best source of income. The profit margin for used games is something absurd like 80%. They’ll gladly sell you used over new any day.
Since they rely on it so much they should incentivize people to do it more.

>game streaming

Game streaming is a trojan horse to push 5G and Googlefiber onto retards

Also there is not a single solitary motherfucking game released in the last decade that gets anyone hyped anymore.

I actually enjoyed Think Geek, fuck GameStop for getting their grubby hands on them and fucking them over

Wow, this made me realize I haven't been to a GS in years. They peaked before Amazon got huge. They always had godawful service, though, and seemed like every location now was staffed with a bunch of a salesman who didn't give a shit.
I'm honestly surprised the GS is still around. Remember Circuit City, RadioShack or Toy-R-Us?

They expanded in the wrong direction.

I'm all for vidya memorabilia, but they have fucking GoT action figures lining the walls. They're relying too much on fandoms that come and go and leave them with excess stock they have to hock at a loss.

Narrow it down and stick to videogame related items and exclusives. A handful of shirts THAT DON'T LOOK LIKE SHIT and desk decorations are more than enough to keep the average gamer happy. Sell shit that they would want to pick up while they're there.

Trade-ins are always going to be dirty. You end up having to just accept shovelware that nobody will buy and throwing away a buck or two that adds up. While it's shit for customers, from a business perspective, I'd keep trade-in practices as-is. Maybe even put it on a shorter leash and stop accepting sports titles.

Streamers are big right now and every kid wants their battlestation. It might be a good time to start dipping in to PC parts and accessories, with simple charts in-store to help fledgling builders decide on basic shit like graphics cards. Given that Gamestop is significantly more widespread than Frys, I think going down this route might actually bolster them quite a bit. I'd be more than willing to quit shopping at newegg if I can just buy a few pieces at Gamestop and work any returns or RMAs through there. They might run the risk of encroaching on Bestbuy, but bestbuy doesn't really take their PC section seriously anyway. Their geeksquad is pretty much just there to coordinate home theater installations.

So basically more vidya, more pc

Attached: 1568067677831.jpg (1200x800, 144K)

I don't think there is a way. Their business model is anti consumer and outdated as fuck

Meant Spring mobile.

I preordered my switch lite at GS today. Guy tried to sell me a one year warranty and was pushing it super hard, so I just told him I wouldn’t cause Gamestop won’t be here in a year. He looked so insulted.

They just wouldn't stop selling used games as "new." Good riddance.

This
But they are so fucking retarded with it that they'll force people to buy "used" games rather then new games from them.
Even going so far as to lie and say that they don't have new games or consoles.
Also the mark up is ridiculous.
They only ONLY have to have a stock of cheap fucking games on hand and the newest games adn used versions of the game on hand.
That's all.
Just be the place where people can go to get new systems, controllers, games, old games, and even get their systems repaired.
Instead they're pressuring gamers into buying bullshit they don't want or need and making the stores hostile to gamers infront of the counter and behind the counter.
Places are completely unusuable and utterly damend

Fucks sake, they can just be the gaming store where people can buy games and game themes stuff at a cheap or relatively cheap price.
Not faggy funco bullshit and assorted "geek chic" bullshit at ridiuclously marked up prices.

If people think games or anything to do with gaming they should think gamestop and be able to talk to gamers and sell gaming junk to customers.

Honestly I feel like toys r us + GameStop would be an amazing combo
They might as well open a rental service as well since they have a better selection than Redbox or gamefly

>good ending
>preordered a Switch lite
can't tell if based or cringe

Radio Shack died because they started selling overpriced electronics and cellphones rather then stuff to fix and build stuff.

Toy R Us?
They were killed by Disney and their dear god awful Star Wars debacle.

I know. Playing video games is pretty cringe.

mber this?

Attached: maxresdefault (2).jpg (1280x720, 126K)

I'd utilize the existing distribution network and physical location of the stores to allow people to get things shipped to them, within hours, from the website. The nearest store would just pick up the order ticket and employees now double as couriers.
I'd probably extend this to the trade-in as well. Got games to trade in? Mail them in or have a courier pick them up when you order a game or whatever else.

These are literally the easiest moves they can do to make their inventory far more convenient for their target customer base to a point where they can actively compete in this niche against things like Amazon prime and do it effectively since Amazon is far too big in scope to be able to deliver these products in an effective way like GameStop could.

this

>Radioshack tries to sell cellphones, it's a horrible failure and they go bankrupt
>Gamestop tries to sell cellphones, it's a horrible failure and they will soon go bankrupt
the moral of the story is, don't try to sell cellphones when it's not your core business