Give me a serious and non-contrarian critique of this game

Give me a serious and non-contrarian critique of this game.

Attached: blunderfail.jpg (616x353, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HK1YlRtIUnk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

[03:47:38] okay lol i don't know how to feel about undertale
[03:47:46] the sans fight is extremely fun and challenging in a fair way
[03:47:54] and shows that the designer can deliver fun content
[03:48:02] but the rest of the game is dull and focused on presentation
[03:48:26] the pacifist route's writing is honestly really asinine and pissed me off, but i guess i'll stick with a 5/10 because the sans fight is so fun
[03:48:59] if the entire game were designed like the undyne and sans battles on genocide route, it would probably be a really good game
[03:49:12] but it isn't, and most of the content is padding
[03:49:56] the world/level design is boring and unsatisfying, the characters are one-dimensional, and having to play the game three times is just too much. the battle system is only used to its fullest potential in two fights on a route that you're actively dissuaded from playing
[03:50:17] there are some funny moments here and there, the music is great, and the attention to detail in the art design is noteworthy
[03:50:38] but as a game the only satisfying moments are on genocide route
[03:50:45] which cuts out almost everything else
[03:50:56] so overall i would say undertale feels really confused and at odds with itself
[03:51:18] no way can i understand how people could call this GOTY, it fails at its goals 90% of the time
[03:52:21] it's nice that people are paying attention to it over generic AAA shit but there's just not enough actual, satisfying content for me to score it highly

Genocide route is trash with no substance and the battles are all too easy even the hardest ones outside of sans

Most soulful game of the past 10 years. Ignore the fanbase and the shitposters

Who?

Most of the game play tends to boil down to navigating menus and relying on context and writing to understand what you're even doing. Or course, on the flipside this removes the need for grinding and stat management, which can be either a boon or a bust depending on who you are

Genocide route was clearly made intentionally to bore you out and be annoying as fuck
You arent supposed to enjoy it

Perfectly competent indie game with a somewhat unique gimmick in the storytelling. Good soundtrack. Some characters are more memorable than others.

Good music, story is interesting as long as you can accept the magic stuff and how it's fundamentally different from just "imagine the real world but with magic", gameplay is okay but repeat encounters can sometimes feel like a chore (you can run away from them though), humor and characters are very subjective, a lot of it is pun-based or taking a tangent a character makes and extending it. Some characters are really bombastic and loud. Difficulty is easy to medium in anything that isn't a superboss, if you're good at bullet hells you should have no problem at all with it.
If you ignore the distractions and sidetracking the game is very short, but it's at its best if you let yourself become attached to the characters and check all the little things and unimportant NPCs.

I finished the pacifist run yesterday. I like the humour, it makes me laugh. Some of the fights are fun, but I don't think they all reach their full potential and I could see them being more fun in the genocide route, potentially.
Music is good.
Art is bad but does what it needs to.
I enjoyed it and I'm interested enough to go back and Replay on genocide and maybe another run after that to see how pacifist changes post genocide.

It’s an indie game, so it’s garbage.

>hide post

Very impressive that it was made by one guy. Music was good but I couldn't finish it, just found it way too dull.

I have been tired of writing the same long text in all those threads about how this game is flawed so since fans seems to ignore it so they can say no one gives a solid criticism, your thread made me decide to just spare some time and do a mini review for it entirely. Thanks user.

It wasnt made by one guy entirely.

Story is a mess and pacifist has to be justified with "lol the monsters aren't trying to kill you, they just communicate this way" despite the fact that they also talk to you.
Asriel's fight monologue about Chara and how much he loves him falls apart the second you find out Chara is a psychopath murderer who bullied him and is only carried by the emotional current provoked by the pretty visuals and Hopes and Dreams playing in the background.

>it's supposed to be trash bro you don't get it

Attached: (you).jpg (400x244, 24K)

who are you?

There's not enough variety in the gameplay. In the pacifist route you just gotta do the same thing for a specific enemy type every time and in the Genocide Route you're doing the same thing for every enemy

Some of the random battles can be tedious.

Its a fucking stupid game with boring gameplay nothing to equip outside meme items that represent other dead children, mr saturn ripoff but lmao so wacky characters, forced gayshit eveywhere games goes to shit the second alphys enters the scene you cannot kill alphys in genocide worst fanbase of all time worse than rickandmorty

there is more but thats more than enough to hate this game

Then why the fuck is it in the game?

>its supposed to be shit dude
>but it has the only two battles that are any fun in the entire game

No, fuck you.

Good game,one western girl killed the franchise.

this response would be justified if you were talking about the pacifist route

You can make a player feel evil and dissuade them from doing morally bad choices through clever writing and gameplay to reflect that. Not to mention, the best and most satisfying fights in the game are locked behind the route. If Toby wanted to make a compelling reason for not doing the genocide route, then he should have had more scenes like the one where flowey is begging you not to kill him. Making the gameplay slow down to a crawl for a route simply because it's """""not the way that you should be playing""""" is retarded, especially in an RPG where """""ooooooOOOOooOOohhhh your choices maaaAAAAaAaaater"

tl;dr: if it's trash on purpose it doesn't mean its good

I dont know who that is but thats pretty accurate

The story is barebones and somewhat formulaic, but this allows you to focus on the meta-narrative which is fantastic and easily the best part of the game.
The characters are hit or miss, sans Asgore they are reminiscent of saturday morning cartoon characters, with all the ups and downs this entails. The dialogue can be very cringe-inducing but can also get some good laughs, so once again, very hit or miss.
The gameplay is barebones as fuck. The worst aspects of an RPG mixed with the most boring aspects of a shmup, topped with some very easy puzzles. I assume this must be fine by those that are inexperienced in either genre, but for me personally I could barely stand it for a single playthrough.
Music is fantastic, graphics are subpar but at least have an unique feel to them. Not much to say here.

Overall, I can see why people like it, but I personally couldn't enjoy it. Play it for the unique experience it brings, but if you already went through a similar experience in a story-driven RPG before, expect to be disappointed.

Pretty boring and too many annoying characters.

An RPG that hates RPGs, but adopts RPG mechanics to "subvert" your expectations. An RPG with limited C&C, and character-building, and leans on the worst aspects of "blobber" RPGs from Japan, ripped off from Ultima/Wizardry/Earthbound

Good game and it has god tier music. Also Japan loves it despite being western-made so it's guaranteed to be good.

Mediocre music, mediocre gameplay, and abysmal characters.

>"lol the monsters aren't trying to kill you, they just communicate this way" despite the fact that they also talk to you.
Oh yeah that was retarded
Why dont you get hurt when you "date" undyne? she is communicating all over the place

>then he should have had more scenes like the one where flowey is begging you not to kill him
More like he should have written better characters/world that actually influenced my choices based on how much emotional connection/investment I have with them and not which things I should do to get said ending. Guilty tripping is cheap.

I don't even like the game that much but your comment is absolutely retarded. You clearly dont even like the genre to begin with.

Toriel and Undyne's pacifist methods are poorly telegraphed
Pacifist route is not mechanically satisfying because the game never gets hard enough, which may again be on purpose but doesn't justify itself.
The game's final message is something I disagree with. The game heavily guilts you for wanting to replay it at all, which is supposed to be a message about letting go. I don't feel this is a good message because revisiting a piece of any media is important to your lasting impression of it.
I personally see this as Toby's way of responding to one of Mother 3's final quotes, since that game ends with the protagonist encouraging the player to revisit it since they know the outcome was worth the struggle. In that way I respect the game because you don't often see games challenge the works that inspired them. Either way I consider this a flaw of its writing
Alphys is a terrible character and you can never do anything to them, I don't think you can even be all that rude to her in Pacifist.
I can't get my cock sucked by Toriel
The second best fight in the game is locked behind a route that is otherwise pure torture. Yes, that route is bad on purpose, but that doesn't make it good

Im just glad the honeymoon phase is finally over
Its worth a pirate and a OST download but not the crazy praise it gets constantly
>ur just a contrarian durr
Sorry but unwarranted praise can really get annoying and I know for a fact this game got huge because of women vegans gay furries and other betas that loved the not having to harm any enemy in an RPG and that only play the sims and anumal crossing otherwise
And that actually find the skeletons funny, are you kidding me

There could have been more done to add to the challenge of being a pacifist Ex: Parsnips and tsundereplane requiring you to complete a challenge in order to actually complete their ACT commands
Other than that, I can't really think of any issue.

Attached: 389-1-23.jpg (500x383, 20K)

Inconsistent presentation throughout the game. For example, as you progress through the game, the shop keeper graphics actually get worse. Then you have varying degrees of quality with background artwork throughout the game. That's about it.

Because she's deliberately trying not to hurt you, and she's aware that you're a human. Something at BEST 6 characters in the underground are aware of.

it's kinda tedious to 100% this shit
it lacks game, and let me explain what i mean by that

this is an rpg-lite with bullethell-lite shit in it and a very simplistic combat system
it isn't really an rpg and the bullethell elements are very, very casual compared to actual bullethell games
this game is not meant to be enjoyed as a game. it's a choose your own adventure story and a little bit of a world for you to explore.

the replay value suffers, here. you might think, wait! but all the endings! and that's true, but there's no reason to do any of them more than once. the game doesn't change appreciably based on your non-story choices, like what items to pick up or whatever else like that. there aren't character builds. it doesn't matter. this is one of the few games where the game facilitates the story, not the other way around.

this is more apparent with deltarune. again, not much of a game, but this time your choices don't affect anything very much, either, so you're not incentivized to try again to figure out how things would've been otherwise. replay value of maybe 1 additional, painful, boring playthrough.

the music's fantastic, it's kinda funny if you're into the humor, and the art is original and compelling. the game isn't a game, though.

NOT ENOUGH SHOTA GOAT

Attached: Asriel (5).png (536x809, 126K)

you're right,megalovania is suicide inducing.

Good music, good story, good locations, shit characters, shit gameplay.
Should have been a visual novel instead.

The combat is extremely simple, it's always obvious what move you should do on any turn.
But the same could be said of pretty much every traditional JRPG, the genre it's based on. At least Undertale makes it fun with its dialogue.

Everything that I said is true. Also, Earthbound is a shit RPG, and Undertale aping it doesn't help matters.

Attached: I like the genre.jpg (1295x154, 59K)

Pretty fair assessment, only major thing he missed was that the 30 fps makes Undyne's gimmick more obnoxious than it needs to be.

Papyrus doesn't put out.

These games are a completely different genre from Undertale and the JRPGs it's obviously modeled after. They're all called "RPGs", but they shouldn't be, they have practically nothing in common. I don't blame you for being a fan of those games and not the ones UT is based on, I agree they blow.

I knew you were into wrpgs only, which is why your opnion completely doesn't matter since it's biased. You are playing a game that you know you wont like, it's almost like if I decided to play some wrpg myself.

It sucks shit

Pacifist run is pretty fun throughout but the final boss really falls flat once you realize you can't lose.
Genocide is a horrible slog until the bosses which are pretty good.
A normal playthrough is nothing special really.

Anytime I think about playing it my nostrils get assaulted by Tumblr whale sweat, fursuit sweat, soi, and cum.

There's not enough bleach in your stomach either, you should fix that.

It's an overrated game adored by furries, trannies, SJWs, and other weak minded degenerates. The only decent thing to come out of the entire game is Undyn and that's specifically because I happen to like /fit/ girls and girls with blue skin.

Who is your favorite and least favorite characters in the game?
For me, it's
Favorite:
>Metaton
Least Favorite:
>Undyne

That's the guy who exposed Persona 5 as trash

I just beat this game yesterday and it's pretty good. I did the no kill route and I had fun. I kind of knew what to expect so I just didn't kill because I thought the game would tell me something if I did. It's not as great as people say but it's still fun. I guess I expected more because people hyped it up so much but the music is really good though. The music probably has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard from a video game. Toriel is the best character in the game.

Attached: Toriel.png (206x234, 1K)

Good music, soulful presentation, fun gameplay premise that only gets challenging enough to really be enjoyable for 2-3 fights in the entire game. Writing is very hit or miss.

Fuck off hater. You're only jealous of Toby Fox!

Attached: This is what Undertale fans actually believe.png (800x416, 96K)

worship

Fuck you for making me read that cringefest, man.

Always

Attached: Asriel (11).png (1400x1800, 70K)

I disagree with this, there are plenty of fights in the game that were very fun, apart from the genocide route. Omega flowey was neat, metaton ex's was fun, asgore had a really good fight. Muffet's was neat. I can agree that asriel's fight could have been better, but overall there's plenty to do on the pacifist routes that make it worth it.

Literally the rick and morty audience

>HARD GAME GOOD
>EASY GAME BAD
fucking grugs get off muh IRCs

Attached: 04d.jpg (272x285, 12K)

I have started this three separate times and it is actually torturous to play so far. The controls suck, the characters are annoying, the music is ok, the dialogue is a slog. I'm half an hour in on my current attempt, just got to Toriel's house. When does something happen. When does it get good? I feel like the endless love for this game is all about a different game to the one I'm playing. The only thing that made me slightly laugh was "The cactus, the most tsundere of plants". Is it me, or the children who are wrong, anons?

Attached: 30706446_1032277903594689_3381854693364858880_n.jpg (480x357, 16K)

The Ruins suck.

It's good

>if the entire game were designed like the undyne and sans battles on genocide route, it would probably be a really good game
Fucking this, the Undyne fight was the most fun I had in this game

Will I be there much longer?

No, the tutorial ends after Toriel's battle.

good things
>true lab
>fun events
bad things
>you can't just genocide every single monster and leave
>even though they're a threat to humanity

seems pretty accurate

Good things:
>music
>combat IDEA

Your opinion things:
>humor
>character design/personality

Bad things:
>Most of the combat being too easy/not explored enough
>STORY
>length of the game
>"choices"

It's a 5 or 6 out of 10. If it had bad music nobody would remember this game.

>>you can't just genocide every single monster and leave
>>even though they're a threat to humanity
BECAUSE THAT'S MEEEAAAN. HOW DARE YOU, YOU'RE THE REAL MONSTER FOR KILLING IN AN RPG!

Gameplay is simple but solid. Unique enough to get away without being too challenging most of the time. Unfortunately a lot of interesting mechanics like the gun and the web aren't developed enough, they're only in boss fights which don't occupy a lot of time. The story is also simple but solid. Characters are entertaining if overrated by the fanbase. The game really knows how to sell the big moments by hyping up bossfights or adding some lovely backgrounds. However, there are also long sections of the game that are empty and boring. There are neat character interactions and things to do part of the time, but there are still plenty of empty hallways, and a lack of real dialogue options means that these encounters have little charm when you replay the game. The game also has a confusing relationship with players who try to do everything in the game. On the one hand it rewards exploration, stopping to talk with every NPC will provide amusing bits of dialogue, players are encouraged to revisit areas, the good end requires a lot of optional content be explored as well as dedication towards merciful play, there are secret bossfights with really obtuse requirements, a difficult minigame in the credits, weird rewards for defeating enemies in specific ways, etc. These aspects reward players who are dedicated to experiencing everything in the game, and much of the game encourages the player to explore in this manner. Yet the game also punishes players for doing this, permanently affecting the game if a player chooses to pursue the ending that offers the most challenging bossfights as well as a solely needed extended backstory on the main villain. The player is punished for trying to see content that any fan would be naturally curious about. This is repeated in the console port of the game where the achievement list is a troll, asking the player to grind through dialogue in order to earn half the achievements.

Give it till the papyrus fight, it's at the end of the snow area right after. Thats the next area. Ruins sucks, but it's a tutorial area really. If you like the snow area even a little, undynes fight is right after. I personally think the last couple areas are the best, but if you don't like papyrus, you definitely wont like the rest.

What's the point in giving a player a choice to save/kill? It's just like Bioshock and just as pointless.

>if you save everyone you give a friendship speech and suck each other off and win the day with rainbows
>if you kill everyone you become demon cyber hitler and throw babies into a woodchipper
>every other combination of choices just leads to a ending that says "uhh idk lmao" and sends you to the credits

Why would you kill any of the little sisters after saving 3? Why would you save any character in Undertale after killing 2?

You get the nootral ending with different variances based on whom you kill
Eg, if you kill Undyne and Toriel but leave mettaton, he becomes king and fucks everything up

This achievement thing might seem like a small complaint, but it illustrates a massive problem with the core design. The game has a ton of secrets and entertaining content that can be easily missed. A achievement list that hints at all of these things would allow players to find more reasons to love the game. Instead, the game insults players for having a completionist mindset, while locking away some of its best content on a path that only dedicated completionists will follow. This is confusing. It tells the player to go in a certain direction, gives the player a reward for doing so, but then insults the player and takes away something else. Likewise, the game plays with a meta narrative and subverts many tropes of RPGs, clearly drawing attention to the fact that the player is simply playing a game, that these characters are just scripts living in a world with silly rules determined by a programmer. This isn't poorly done, it's actually innovative and funny most of the time. But it makes it difficult to connect and empathize with the characters when the player is constantly reminded that they are not real. Toby wants to have his cake and eat it too. He wants to make a traditional RPG and a subversive meta RPG at the same time. Both of these RPGs are made well and are quite enjoyable. But they conflict with each other despite all the charm and style.

Please learn what a paragraph is you dumbass.
Not that anyone should bother reading that drivel.

Why is moogy such a fag? He only plays shitty needlege anyways, his opinions on difficulty are as valid as a zoomer's.

>game takes a metanarrative choice on you commiting genocide
>vii is offended and takes it as a personal insult, sperging insecurity
You wanted to kill everyone and see the consequences of your actions, you got it. The only difference between you and Chara was that chara wanted nigger numbers while you wanted to get the story.

here fixed
>Gameplay is simple but solid.
>Unique enough to get away without being too challenging most of the time.
>Unfortunately a lot of interesting mechanics like the gun and the web aren't developed enough, they're only in boss fights which don't occupy a lot of time.
>The story is also simple but solid.
>Characters are entertaining if overrated by the fanbase.
>The game really knows how to sell the big moments by hyping up bossfights or adding some lovely backgrounds.
>However, there are also long sections of the game that are empty and boring.
>There are neat character interactions and things to do part of the time, but there are still plenty of empty hallways, and a lack of real dialogue options means that these encounters have little charm when you replay the game.
>The game also has a confusing relationship with players who try to do everything in the game.
>On the one hand it rewards exploration, stopping to talk with every NPC will provide amusing bits of dialogue, players are encouraged to revisit areas, the good end requires a lot of optional content be explored as well as dedication towards merciful play, there are secret bossfights with really obtuse requirements, a difficult minigame in the credits, weird rewards for defeating enemies in specific ways, etc.
>These aspects reward players who are dedicated to experiencing everything in the game, and much of the game encourages the player to explore in this manner.
>Yet the game also punishes players for doing this, permanently affecting the game if a player chooses to pursue the ending that offers the most challenging bossfights as well as a solely needed extended backstory on the main villain.
>The player is punished for trying to see content that any fan would be naturally curious about.
>This is repeated in the console port of the game where the achievement list is a troll, asking the player to grind through dialogue in order to earn half the achievements.

It's a great game. It does a lot of really unexpected things that make it very endearing.

i don't like that he sometimes cheats and unnaturally moves sprites around instead of having properly pixelated animations for it.

you know how when you throw guns away in hotline miami and they don't align with the pixels around them because they're spinning?

please tell me someone gets what i'm saying here

I wanted a good game not an anime written by an american.

no, i honestly wanted to kill all monsters so they could never take a human soul

yes but it's worth it for that bit where Papyrus goes out the window

I don't really agree, but that's more because resolution clamping looks pretty awful.

I'm with you. It's just a gamemaker thing.

>My complete experience with Undertale
Overall opinions are kinda meh, story wasn't very interesting, characters while fairly charming were pretty bland, graphics were ass most of the time and the quirky random lol humour was alright at first but got old quick. The music was the best bit for me, and I feel like I got what I paid for and enjoyed it enough to complete the short story. A few years later I decide to boot the game up again to try and get some of the other endings, but I couldn't even force myself through the first hour again, I just found it to boring And from what I heard about the evil route of the game it doesn't even seem worth it. I know people are going to say "THATS THE POINT" I don't give a fuck, why bother going through the effort of not only intentionally making 1/3 of the game bad and unenjoyable, but also permanently ruining your save file just to preach the message "KILLING IS BAD GUYS".

>the type of player the game wasn't designed for doesn't like it
surprised face

as much as I liked UT Alphis is a pain in the ass with the constant calls

I don't like "video games" that when you subtract their narrative they become useless "interactive experiences."

loved it, but also went out of my way to true pacifist it out of genuine 'this is how i like to play the game'-ness and not 'i know this will lead to the best outcome'

i think the game was just tailor made for me in that respect, so i was bound to have the best kind of experience

played through it once, finished it once, cried like a bitch two times, one of the best indie games ever, will never touch genocide route.

despite everything, it's still you is one of the rawest lines in a game ever also

yo what the fuck, that’s literally me

yo, what the fuck.

also one last thing i should add, i played the game the day it came out and only found out about it via back when Yea Forums was raving over the toriel boss fight demo that the kickstarted had, so peak of the hype train pre-fandom explosion. that might be why i have such fond memories of it, too.

ok that’s not me anymore

cringy youtuber bait game

Attached: 678996.jpg (700x988, 85K)

>so overall i would say undertale feels really confused and at odds with itself
This makes no sense. The game knows exactly what it is. He just has an unrealistic expectation from it. HE'S confused, because he seems to think the game should be about hardcore battles.

sans > omega flowey > asriel

Attached: 1515632670121.png (280x429, 91K)

Finally tried it out 2 weeks ago, dropped it after a couple of hours.
I liked the goat lady, but the game is just fucking boring. Feels like a VN, nothing you do is meaningful.
Just read a good book.

Every battle is above Asriel. Because Asriel is a snivelling baby edgelord with rainbow powers.

I liked Undertale, I just don't like the people who like Undertale.

Attached: e1844fa8db5b5d5203a47a0876d1be79d914b994e1f0d4a69d598d20781e5e4f.jpg (636x768, 109K)

I personally really liked it. I think posts like Moody’s offer a sort of “faux contemplative” by arbitrarily enumerating specific aspects of the game that they grew attached to and marking down or ignoring everything else. For example, unless we have a big discussion about stylistic choice and preference, “asinine writing” is an incredibly imprecise accusation, because the cast is strong characterized from what I can tell. Moogy seems to be focused purely on “moments” usually experienced by a boss fight or something like that as satisfying content, when undertale’s appeal is as..a small adventure rather than a series of huge boss fights connected together by some motivation. Pacifist route is interesting because the small dance you do to figure out an enemy pattern is entertaining. Genocide route is interesting because of how many barriers you have to break for the game to really access content - which is the core of what undertale is about. Does it stumble? Sure, absolutely. But it’s also lighthearted, entertaining, sharply written, pretty wholesome, and there was a clear amount of soul put into it - and I hate using the term soul.

Attached: 24F75576-DB29-43B6-B4F1-A2A7F12CA9EC.jpg (440x550, 17K)

>Sans fight
>Challenging in a fair way
Shits literally trial and error memorization

It’s an indie JRPG with heavy plot focus. What did you expect?
>nothing you do is meaningful
If you accidentally kill something but restart the game remembers. If nothing else your choices are logged and affect the game accordingly

+Good music that does the job of setting the mood and making everything feel interconnected.

+The whole concept of sparing monsters and the shmup stuff is a nice take on the genre.

+Some of the writing is funny and holds up well.

+There's some neat story beats and bosses like Asgore and Sans are pretty thematically interesting

+The weapons you equip change up how you deal damage, which is a nice touch rather than just leaving it as a simple number increase

+There are some neat interactions depending on the choices you make in a fight, like eating Toriel's pie causes Asgore to react during his fight

-The gameplay is pretty barebones in terms of what the player can do

-Despite the Reset mechanic being a thing, you're still corralled into doing what the game wants you to. It doesn't matter how many times you go through the Flowey intro, for example, you still HAVE to be saved by Toriel.

-You can't actually genocide everyone. It just feels half-assed that you only kill the bosses and random mooks rather than the monsters you can see outside of battle.

-You can't skip cutscenes and the in-fight dialogue drags on during. It's fine during your first playthrough, but it's annoying beyond that.

second half has bad pacing

It's a good game, but not the game I wanted it to be. 8/10

fpbp

I agree with this aside from trial and error memorization combat on an extremely tedious. boring route you're actively dissuaded from playing being fun. Undertale's biggest problem is if you don't give a shit about the characters or find them annoying you won't give a shit about the game.
Undertale has some charm and good music, but only the fanbase believes it wasn't elevated far beyond that by managing to appeal to several extremely autistic groups of people.

what the fuck

This dude's girlfriend likes it.
youtube.com/watch?v=HK1YlRtIUnk

I can't like the same videogame women like. That's gay.

Judging by this thread, it makes Yea Forums foam at the mouth even though I distinctly remember when it came out it was all that was talked about, so clearly it did everything right.

It aped Mother and japs love weird, quirky shit, so of course they'd like undertale.

>check video's preview
>earthbound logo

i know 99% of people simply pretend to have played earthbound, but still, they are nothing alike

What scares me is these people have sex.

>before release the fans kept to themselves in the occasional thread
>after release the game blows up and people spam it everywhere claiming it as the second coming of christ
I can't fathom why that'd annoy anyone.
Also
>I came into a thread asking for people to criticize a game I like and now I'm upset, how could this have happened?!

That's her point, she hated earthbound and loved undertale. She hated Chrono Trigger too.

Oh come on, like Yea Forums doesn't do the same shit for every single indie game that gets popular. I've been around long enough to realize this is no exception.
>I came into a thread asking for people to criticize a game I like and now I'm upset, how could this have happened?!
You are assuming way more than you know, user. Like assuming I'm mad at all and not just stating the obvious. I haven't even played it yet, I came into this thread to check answers to OP. I found exactly what I was expecting.

For what it's trying to do it's great, but as an RPG the mechanics aren't as fully realized because of how Genocide wound up being. That and you can't fight Sans and Undyne the Undying outside of Genocide. Still really good game though, but it really makes me want to see more of Deltarune and I seriously hope you can actually level up in that game without getting the shitty ending.

>chat dump
I'm not reading that garbage.
Jesus fuck Yea Forums has gone down the toilet.

Gameplay is kinda eh, but unique and interesting.
Graphics are fucked but could be considered charming in its own way.
Music is fucking amazing.
The writing and characters absolutely make the game.
The meta stuff is neat but the newness of it wears off quickly.

If you like fun character banter and interactions, you'll probably love the game.
Else, you might either think it meh at best.

>every single game that gets popular
ftfy
The more talked about the game is, the more flak it will get, especially here where anyone can say anything with little repercussion. Spam it and scream it's GOAT that blows every other game out of the water and you're just asking to annoy even the people who've never seen or heard of said game. A game getting shit is not exclusively the fault of contrarians. This is a problem with anyone who wants a black and white view of what they've played (or haven't played), good or bad.

You're doing a really good job of sounding like a fanboy despite never having played the game; ignoring the legitimate criticism and praising it simply because you found the shitposts you were looking for.

Once again, you're trying to sound way smarter than you are. Good job removing the word "indie" from the quote btw. Always a good way to completely remove all credibility from your argument to ignore vital parts of the argument so they fit your own better.

The point of coming to Yea Forums for opinions is to completely discard every single retard that just goes "It's shit, X, Y and Z are shit, people who like it are shit and I'm definitely not basing my whole opinion on things outside the game itself that annoy me instead of giving an actual fair review" with no explanation whatsoever. You look for the posts of people giving their actual opinion and explaining why. Whether that is "The game tried to do something and it failed", to "The tried to do something and it blew my mind". You read all of those and decide if it's worth a try for yourself. The people just posting the aforementioned "It's shit" posts are proof of nothing except the game succeeded with a wider audience, because Yea Forums is retarded and contrarian like that.

You say I'm a fanboy butthurt that not everyone is reviewing it positively or saying exclusively good things about it. I'm gonna go ahead and say instead you stepped into this thread about a game you dislike because you knew the popular opinion on Yea Forums would be to dislike it too and you felt like circlejerking about it for a while. And now that someone's stepped in that knows better than to just listen to kneejerk reaction "opinions" that don't actually say anything but how mad they are and knows to just laugh at them, you're mad yourself.

Anyway, I just got the game, so, thanks for the opinions I guess. I know at the very least I'll be able to form an opinion for myself better than half the people posting here. Besides, I've heard it's got funky skeletons, so there's at least something to look forward to.

Attached: 1547419488684.gif (480x480, 543K)

>You can't skip cutscenes and the in-fight dialogue drags on during. It's fine during your first playthrough, but it's annoying beyond that.
I get that it slows things down, but the dialogue in some cutscenes do change after a reset. Sometimes it's shortened or other times a character will hint at having met you before in the past.
In-fight dialogue does get repetitive but all dialogue is easy enough to skip through if you want to.

SANS XD

How was a game being indie a vital part of your argument? Yea Forums shits on AAA games just as much as any indie, if not more so. The vast swathes of AAA they'll ignore almost outright or nuke if they get a thread. You're ignoring that and making it sound like only indie games are subjected to this level of shitposting, which is flat out wrong.

>the point of coming to Yea Forums is to wade through all the shitposting for actual well thought out opinions
>except when you don't and use the shitposting as a justification for a game being good lol
Your entire second paragraph is some bullshit, bro. There are far better sites to go to if you just want a well thought out and reasoned opinion without the hassle and you know it.

And I'll just keep assuming you are actually a fanboy who played the game ages ago and went into a thread asking for criticism, got butthurt over it and decided to shitpost. Carry on, user.

I have no idea from where you guys get that Yea Forums is completely against exclusively your favorite game only. It's almost like you know that it isn't true but you are hurt because it's your fav game and since it's popular, it means that there's objectively a seal of quality confirmation, which is no different than thinking that anything popular means it is shit, so you believe there's a whole movement against it. Even if it's not exactly what you said, that is how I feel when I see posts like this. Shit talking happens with any game here and including indies. The hip thing about this place is shit talking any game and any opinion that is negative but genuine is lost along the way because you are supposed to believe that it's done just so to fit in the place unless there is a wall of text attached to it every single time.

UT even have negative reviews on steam, from people that certainly isn't from here mostly. It seems like you guys think that only in Yea Forums there are people that disliked the game because of the contrarian culture.

>How was a game being indie a vital part of your argument?
Easy, because I wasn't talking about AAA games, I was talking about indie games, and they always have the same shit happen. Some people on Yea Forums look forward to them, they get released, there's suddenly a bunch of threads talking about them and declaring it the best shit since sliced bread because it's new and shiny, then a bunch of contrarians get pissy for one reason or another and declare it's shit before actually trying it out themselves. And let's not mention the extremely important case where it becomes popular in other sites like reddit or tumblr because then, holy shit, how DARE you like it and post about it on Yea Forums? If you had been on Yea Forums for more than a year you'd have seen this process several times over already.

>There are far better sites to go to if you just want a well thought out and reasoned opinion without the hassle and you know it.
In your own words "especially here where anyone can say anything with little repercussion." Getting honest, sincere reviews is the reason why one should ask Yea Forums about their opinion on a game. One should also have a minimum of intelligence before doing it and know to filter all the bullshit as well from people who have no idea what they're talking about and are just following popular opinion or are too anally pained to judge it with a clear mind.

Anyway, it's already installed, so this is my last post. I'm going to, you know, *play* it. So see ya.

>faux contemplative by arbitrarily enumerating specific aspects of the game
Exactly what did he leave out? He addressed everything from gameplay to story to music. And how is it "faux contemplative"? Nothing about that was contemplative. If anything you should be arguing the opposite in that all he did was throw out adjectives without going in-depth.

You were trying to attach a special status to indie games as some undeserved magnet for shitposting and it doesn't work. This happens to every game, indie or otherwise.

Now we can actually agree on something. Yea Forums is a great place for unfiltered thoughts. But it's a bit too late for you to say all this considering the post you started with.

Have fun. Again.

Game is fun, story is heartwarming, fanbase is the same obsessive cancer than follows any game of this kind.

Play it and have fun with it, then wash your hands of it and play something else.

I said I was going to go play it but I'll take one extra minute since you're a different guy. I never said one should just ignore every single negative review about a game because lol it's Yea Forums and it's all contrarians. The "people are foaming at the mouth" thing was mainly a joke, but in any case it does still hold some truth, and the fact it pissed someone off just makes me think I touched a sensitive spot. The whole point is to avoid posts that are just "hating" on the game without actually explaining why, and there are a ton. They are at best lazy and don't care to explain themselves, in which case that opinion can be safely disregarded because why even take it into consideration? Guy didn't even show any investment into even explaining why he should or should not get it, so he probably put about as much investment into actually playing and analyzing the game. At worst, they're just following what's trendy on Yea Forums.

And on the other hand, there's posts explaining what's actually wrong with it (or at least what they think is wrong with it). In case you didn't notice, I didn't refer to those, because those are usually capable of both explaining what they found wrong and what they found right or at least correct, and you put those together with the ones that are also arguing for it being good. Then once you've got as many opinions as you can, you decide if there might be something that could interest you personally. But every post that's just lazily shitting on it goes straight to the garbage bin. It's the difference between constructive, well thought out criticism and throwing your shit against a wall.

Anyway, now I am actually going to play it. The intro played out like 5 times during this.

Have a great life.

based moogy dono
but unironically this, undertale just feels like a fun but simple concept stretched too far, the creator's intentions feel mixed with each new fight and the game itself is at odds with it's core design, that and pacifist as a whole despite being what the game pushes the hardest is honestly just a toxically naive perspective on both the conflict in the game and life itself, it's a philosophy that's born from sheltered happiness and nothing else and it shouldn't be spread as a message, at least not a serious one
and the music's not that good desu like it's just a grossly inferior and simplified version of its inspirations
I get why people like it tho

Attached: 1566751192133.jpg (1024x1024, 68K)

I think it's fair but I just want to remind you that even if you dislike something you don't need to write or speak a whole essay everytime you talk about it. As much as it sucks could be from someone who is just trying to be a contrarian, there are people that really mean it as well even if they don't dig in details about it. But you are free to ignore who you want to.

So, before the thread closes, honestly for me I am tired of UT. I am just tired of it being that indie game that people tries to create an objectively judgement that speaks for everyone and actively avoid giving it a critical look like they are too scared of it, even in the IGN review for it let it gets a pass while games like Lisa get a look at certain game design aspects. When people say that this game is overrated, they aren't kidding. I am not here to say that the game is bad though, I will just point out what I disliked the most from it.

First the game does not feel or have any genuinity or "simplicity" it's claimed to have, either you have that or you are too aware of your own nature (where the story is aware of the game's mechanics) and go for a meta route that tries to inject depth into it which goes completely against about the image of a "humble simple and fun concept". I have pointed this multiple times but the game tries to touch in emotional territory over its moral choices of sparing or not and yet I can't feel anything, simply because characters have no time to develop or for proper interesting characterization that influence my actions in the game. This kind of concept would work better in a longer game. When you spare them, you get to see different facets of said characters which is certainly an improvement in characterization but they still remain one to two dimensional.

It's not all as great in storytelling either, the dialogues in battles even if they are in the middle of an emotional moment for example, are often interrupted because of segments so it breaks the pacing most of the time, the corridor before asgore is literally a very lazy infodumping moment, same with the secret laboratory.

Not all details about the story were thought and planned ahead too - there's barely anything related to humans and their world and the whole barrier story makes no sense as humans still fell in the underworld for years and nothing was done regarding it.

barebones combat, shit characters, each ending takes a new playthrough to get

great game. enjoyed it fully to completion which is something i can't say the same for 99% of games.

You are actively punished for not playing full pacifist or total genocide. The vanilla ending is lame as fuck.
Toby Fox said it's best to play Undertale before internet culture got a hold of it. The issue is if you went into the whole game blind you most likely won't know you can spare every monster or kill every monster to get a real ending.

For me I killed everyone except dog characters in my first run, thinking there would be a dog utopia ending, there's not. It's just some lame sentence and that's it.

Did you ever stop to think that's maybe just because the game is 5 hours long to 100% at best

Sounds like he was expecting a full bullet hell experience.

The game would be so much better if it was just a cutesy and dumb game that made fun of popular tropes, which isn't anything new by the way, Earthbound is literally just that without the meta, subversion does not equal to a smart and thoughtful story as people like to believe. As much I disliked most of the characters, Chara and Gaster are the worse because of that. Chara is just there to add unecessary meta and Gaster isn't a character, he's a plot device.

He's a /jp/ meme that really loves visual novels. He probably wasn't expecting gameplay in the first place.

I played it for a little while. It's boring as shit. Didn't get what all the hype was about really.