Runescape

What do you think of the new runescape and the old runescape? does microtransactions rune the purity of the 'gem?

Attached: rs3.jpg (186x186, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openrsc.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=7RNK0YBdwko
youtube.com/watch?v=xNjI03CGkb4
youtube.com/watch?v=SFJ724crI2c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I stopped playing when eoc and the new artstyle was introduced, couldn't recognize the game anymore.

Aren't the old and new versions basically completely different now?
How different are they?

I thought the game looked real nice but it's MTX that changed everything..

>RS3
>turned into a poorly done WOW knockoff
vs
>oldschool runescape
>filled with redditors that ruined the game

What did they do to ruin it? I'm aware of the all the micro transactions in RS3 and I'm not about to play an MMO but I thought the RS2 version was considered good, at least by nostalgiafags

I've got to mid-high level on both rs3 and osrs, Assuming you aren't some turbo sperg that gets triggered by people paying to level faster than you, from my experience rs3 would be a better game if they fixed requiring auras to do any high level content efficiently but that alone ruins it to the point osrs is better

so maybe RS2 is worth a go for nostalgia sake?

old runescape holyshit this map is so big my god. spend a year just mining and wandering around.
new runescape run from lumby to falador in 5 minutes wait what
im sure it was just as small buck when i was like 10 playing it but danm.

Microtransactions ruins the purity of everything it touches.

Is this really a question you need to ask? What rock do you live under?

Oh and OSRS is a shitty game pointless grind that leads to no pay off and the only reason people like it is nostalgia for their younger days when they didn't know any better. Just like classic WoW.

>filled with redditors that ruined the game
>How could people I don't like play a game I like?

Everyone in my school used to play runescape back in like grade 5, but I could never get into it. The combat was just simple clicking on shit until it dies and doing anything outside of combat was tedious as fuck.

50 year olds with actual cancer play RS3

you tell me

Why does a game with a subscription have microtransactions? How did people allow this?

It hasn't been good since late 2004

>Just like classic WoW
No.

You could get to Falador in less than 5 minutes by running in RS2

more money=better

The creator sold the company so he could focus on running the game and not business stuff. He was quickly fired and then the MTX started. Sad story.

Runescape's fine. I quit when the changed the combat system, but came back last year. I'm enjoying it. I've maxed and am actually close to getting the completionist cape now.

I just ignore the microtransactions. It's not like the hiscores have actually meant anything for at least the last decade anyway. I know my gains were legit.

Oldschool runescape has a democratic voting system for new content, reddit controls a majority of the votes
Here's some of the damage that's been done
>no consequence from death (keep all your items) because of this people use the best possible gear everywhere because there's no risk to lose anything
>addition of overpowered weapons that make the game laughably easy (toxic blowpipe)
>grand exchange
>little to no PVP content since the majority, reddit, hates dying in the wild

Biggest offenders there are powercreep and arguably the grand exchange

>no consequence from death (keep all your items)
This was because of server issues and it was supposed to be temporary. Too late to get rid of it now.

I just wish I could play RuneScape offline locally. Just carry a portable copy in my laptop or something, maybe even my phone.

That would be really nice. Anyone know if it's possible?

Attached: 1383613992262.png (170x170, 2K)

>no consequence from death
Really? I've been playing it like I'd lose my shit this whole time

there's a single player version of runescape classic that some dudes made, open source too.

In the wilderness it's a little different but outside of wildy you have an hour to pick up anything you died with, also you never lose untradeables when you die.

What's the name?

run your own local runescape private server

openrsc.com/

This.
Biggest thing is PvP though, its the only fun endgame. Plebbit hates PvP so any potential PvP update is DOA.

>does microtransactions rune the purity of the 'gem?
The only thing microtransations do is make e-peen bragging rights about mindelessly grinding something for hundreds of hours not a thing anymore. And if you really care about e-peen bragging rights, there are things like 4k Telos to do but that requires actual skill. Don't be like the man children of reddit and cry that instead of clicking rocks for hours, someone can spend $$ to speed it up since Runescape isn't a competition.

is this actually true? you're talking about andrew and paul gower right?

youtube.com/watch?v=7RNK0YBdwko

Go to just before 56 minutes.

>"I made a mistake"
I feel bad for him.

>because of this people use the best possible gear everywhere

You drop stuff in the wilderness retard.

Honestly I enjoy RS3. OSRS is nice but gets old quick. I like both games. Like said, just ignore the MTX or start an Ironman account.

he literally pointed out that plebbit hates wildy

Who's fossil island is better? I only played RS3 one and it's pretty good for one of the major updates of the year.

I don't believe there is one for OSRS.

OSRS has fossil island, RS3 has the Land out of Time.

there is a fossil island for osrs

RS3 has a way better PvE and bossing endgame, but OSRS is a better overall experience

OSRS got fossil island first
RS3 said they weren't adding it and then did it anyway

>grand exchange
Fuck off, retard. The GE is one of the best things that ever happened to the game. I do not miss the days of wandering around from bank to bank spamming "BUYING MAUL" until I have to resort to finding someone on the forums that isn't trying to rip me off.

Attached: runescape bank spam.png (772x533, 297K)

I stopped playing back before the Grand Exchange and the wildy changes. Everything I've heard of the game since then has sounded like an abomination.

you do realize that people were using zbyez before the ge, then we got the trading post which was zbyez but in game, and then we got the actual ge right?

Yes it ruins the game. I quit a couple years ago.

Even now I get strong urges to play rs3, but I can't bring myself to play a game that mtx infested.

osrs is a good game and not just for nostalgia desu.

This is coming from someone that doesn't play it because I don't want to relevel all my shit

RS3 is in one of the best places it's been in a while. The past 2 years and now they've been releasing good content but it might not suit most people who still value the nostalgic experience. There's OSRS for those that enjoyed the game from around when you quit.

>but I can't bring myself to play a game that mtx infested.
What's so wrong with mtx?

rs3 will always be tainted by the mtx content, dailyscape, auras required for high level pvm locked behind DUDE JUST BUY GOLD MEMBERSHIP XDD

>What's so wrong with mtx?
You're a lost cause. Not even worth replying to

Runescape 3's MTX were in that big UK addiction and gambling report, so pretty happy as an OSRS player.

He doesn't realize that because he was probably 12 the last time he played the game, and only vaguely remembers how annoying it was to buy and sell shit without 3rd party help.

The MTX and the new aesthetic both fucking suck. It really annoys me how they forcibly migrated all the accounts into RS3 instead of allowing people to move their accounts into OSRS.
RS07 isn't exactly the same thing either, but it's better than RS3.

People that remember the days before MTX infested all videogames don't like having daily spins and other MTX bullshit shoved in their faces every time they boot up the game.

This post is 100% correct. Redit will disagree

Attached: 274264788.png (2048x420, 356K)

>youtube.com/watch?v=7RNK0YBdwko
>Andrew leaves because they reduce his role down to nothing and the stakeholders literally just look at who has the most shares as opposed to who actually had experience with what works
>Paul left because he always told players that they would never have to pay for anything beside membership to progress in the game, and when they introduced MTX he didn't want to be known as a liar to the players.
This was depressing to hear.

Attached: 1306462136010.jpg (300x400, 208K)

I dabble in a bit of RS3 time from time to help bro out with quests or grinds. He manages money on both OSRS and RS3.

I think the most disappointed I have been was they hype build for a new God Wars to start and the idea of the landscape changing by player interaction with the gods. Saradomin and Zamarock fucked up Lumbridge. I expected other zones to be where fights took place to overhaul later with massive damage ruining the land as we crusade against each other...

But after the second one that I missed, they never did any more and fucked off with the idea the other gods were nervous and patient since Bandos died. It was a fucking cocktease that they never continued with this and just killed Silske off and forced us to 'Appease the Elder Gods'.

Did it to themselves.
I honestly don't blame them though. If I made a game I would sell out if I could and live a nice life

>be tainted by the mtx content, dailyscape, auras required for high level pvm
What's wrong with mtx? The only thing it ruins is e-peen bragging rights that you used to get for hitting 99 in a skill.
The game wasn't nerfed for dailyscape. Dailyscape is just a boost for less effort to help with improving. If you ignore dailyscape, the game will be the exact same as it was before it was released.
You don't need auras for high level pvm. You could low enrage Telos and Arraxi with no auras easy.

I think all the god shit is lame desu. I played through that entire era and didn't like it. I liked it more when the gods were like a religion in gielinor. Like Christianity, Judaism, etc. It was more mysterious and interesting that way, but insead they have the full fledged gods come down meh

>You could low enrage Telos and Arraxi with no auras easy.
Also the fact that people are able to 4000 enrage Telos with no food just goes to show, that you could easily 4k Telos with no Aura if you bring in food if you're actually good at the game.

Did the Elder God quest come out yet? Sliske's Endgame was pretty fun gameplay-wise, I was actually looking forward to more Elder God shenanigans before I quit.

>If I made a game I would sell out if I could and live a nice life
We know kike, go back to counting profits

>you can do low enrage telos and araxxi
so literally nothing. The game is in a bad place but you are too blinded to see that. MTX affects everything in the entrire game.

The way auras are balanced enforces players to just do bosses when they have auras, and then fuck off while they are on CD. The game just isn't good

rs3 apologists in this thread are pathetic

>The way auras are balanced enforces players to just do bosses when they have auras, and then fuck off while they are on CD. The game just isn't good
That's because of efficiancy.
You said
>auras required for high level pvm
>required
There is nothing stopping you from farming a boss without auras, especially if you have max cape teleports. But people only do them when auras are off cooldown as it allows them more kills in that hour.

no u

Attached: 1431845449297.jpg (224x225, 10K)

>hey want to do x boss with me
>no my aura is down

just refresh it bro

>What's wrong with mtx?
You have to be a sub 80 IQ trog to not realize why MTX is a problem.

>players subscribe for years
>devs promise that members will always have access to all the content available
>add MTX
>suddenly development time is going towards making shit that you can only get if you pay extra
>MTX is profitable
>less time is spent on producing content that regular members have access to and more time goes towards creating MTX shit
>due to the profitability of MTX, the devs spend more time finding annoying ways to get players to look at the MTX options in order to suck them in

MTX is predatory by design. If you think I'm being cynical or mamking shit up then feel free to watch a professional marketer giving a presentation on how MTX work.

youtube.com/watch?v=xNjI03CGkb4

>doesn't know what the trading post was
trading post was a much better solution than than instant sell/buy grand exchange

why are you replying to me? I know what the fuck it was, blame reddit for voting it the ge in when it was a fine system.

>>suddenly development time is going towards making shit that you can only get if you pay extra
>>>less time is spent on producing content that regular members have access to and more time goes towards creating MTX shit
>>>due to the profitability of MTX, the devs spend more time finding annoying ways to get players to look at the MTX options in order to suck them in

Oh damn you're absolutely right. If only the devs worked hard so that random cosmetic #3000 was available for everyone and not behind mtx.

Honestly who cares that the people who work on cosmetics are also working on stuff that's in MTX? This year we got Mining and Smithing rework, a new Elite Dungeon, new Slayer master, new Firemaking content, big update to the quest system, Fossil Island and new quests. And that's not counting all the other small stuff added thoughout the weeks

Anyone still playing rs3 at this point has jagex dick so deep in their mouth. Just look at the playercounts. Most players have quit.
The only ones left are just sunk fallacy autists

>better
No. The only good thing about the trading post was the Ebay style item list so you could actually see all the offers. The GE is a better solution overall though.

runescape 2005-2007 - peak of video games
runescape 2008 - 2012 - still really good
runescape 2013-2019 - how to ruin a great video game

see

Like I said, you're a troglodyte. Resources (skinners, modelers, programmers, and effects artists) are diverted to working on MTX instead of regular game content because it's more profitable than making a new quest. It isn't a coincidence that the whole MTX thing happened shortly after the company was bought out by the Chinese.

See and 3rd party solutions are not ingame solutions and the trading post was better than nothing, but not as good as the GE. There is literally no argument against the GE other than some faggy nebulous ideas about how haggling was good for the community.

It was good at first, but having them be dumb fucking idiots with great powers just hurts and we just don't see anything.

They made two quests about the 'Needle', an elder god artifact that messes with time. One to explain it and one where you fuck it up and give the power to a Dragonkin, This was right after getting every follower that would listen to Seren in a room to discuss how to make the Elder Gods like us.

Basically, we do the Spongebob equivalent where we go after the Alasken Bullworm and Seren gets everyone to push Burthope somewhere else.

>I just wish I could play RuneScape offline locally. Just carry a portable copy in my laptop or something, maybe even my phone.
Why offline MMO? World of Warcraft wouldn't be fun in singleplayer? If you can get into the new RS3 then you might look forward to the IOS app they're developing, then you'll have runescape on the go in your pocket.

Runescape is different than WoW though. Even though it's mmo now most people basically play singleplayer. Look at how popular ironman mode is. It can be fun to grind by yourself and do solo bosses and try to get all the items in the game

I understand your sentiment and it's seems really weird to play an MMO by yourself, but I've never played WoW. Only RS and it was fine playing it by myself. I would have done Ironman if it existed when I knew about it.

There are downsides of course but at this point? I'm fine playing it on my own, I already experienced the player interaction parts that people like to give their stories on, I'm fine.

>Resources (skinners, modelers, programmers, and effects artists) are diverted to working on MTX instead of regular game content
Keep ignoring the amount of content everyone gets for free compared to the random cosmetic set MTX gets every now and then. Runescape the past 2 years has been releasing big content that's actually good at a decent rate and choosing to ignore it and think less of the game just because random cosmetics are worked on the side for MTX just goes to show how much of a manchild you're being over it.

If there was no MTX content the last 2 years, people would say Runescape would have have had a great 2 years and things were looking promising for the future. But because there's MTX that's for completely optional cosmetics, the game is bad?

2004-early 2007 was the peak

I feel like a runescape that played like Diablo 2 would be an amazing experience.

Why not just play Ironman mode on mobile then? MMOs don't even use that much data so there shouldn't really be a strain on using mobile data on the go.

Because I don't want to relevel all over again.
Whenever I get the itch I just play a private server

>But because there's MTX that's for completely optional cosmetics, the game is bad?
not him but don't forget the bxp and exp and sometimes high amount of gold pumped by the th. It's ignore-able but sometimes goddamn obnoxious.

instantly buying and selling items is the problem, it devalued a lot of items, before people were much less willing to go through the hassle of mass selling their stuff which made items harder to obtain and worth more

>not him but don't forget the bxp and exp and sometimes high amount of gold pumped by the th.

The poster was going on about dev time being spent on MTX, and stuff for exp, bxp and gp don't really effect dev time at all. But it is true that those stuff have people obsessing over mtx. But at the end of the day, all of that is optional since Runescape isn't some big race since it's no big deal if someone out there in the world hits 99 in a skill.

GP on the other hand can be disastrous if done poorly, but with the whirlpool in DSF and stuff, the devs have mentioned that total game gold was going downwards not upwards so having if they are managing it properly, MTX GP could help the game.

RSC and early RS2 hold a dear place in my heart but I just don't have the time to play this game anymore. Maybe someday I'll come back to osrs to re-experience some of the old quests I haven't done in 14-15 years just for a huge rush of nostalgia. I haven't played since micro-transactions were introduced but it sounds terrible.

rs3 should be totally f2p with the amount of mtx in the game

that'd be a welcome change but it's one of the few games I see have a membership card in physical locations

I don't see how that's a problem. That just shaves a little of the grind off the game.

Attached: runescaped2.jpg (416x142, 12K)

Don't act like most of people that play runescape hate pvp user.

mining and smithing rework wasn't worth the dev time and the stone spirits insanity. Should have just dumped t93 armor as untradable 99 with bosses dropping the material lmao

I still enjoy the quests and the scenerie the most. The arc and uncharted islands were the best update in 5 years.
I like Sliske but I hate this god bullshit around him. It's just them standing in a circle monologing they don't even have any defined powers. The writers are absolute hacks with no depth attached.

Rs3 is comfy and perfectly reflects 2019 like a half spoiled product that once had immense potential but ultimately doomed itself duo it's frivolous nature and past mistakes. If you hold your nose up you can sniff out 18 years of mmo and the golden years of the internet.
youtube.com/watch?v=SFJ724crI2c

Attached: 1556672350857.jpg (1658x1407, 304K)

>auras
>purely cosmetic
Pick one.
Also bonds are MTX and they are the exact same thing as simply buying gold. The only difference is that Jagex charges more than the Venezuelans do.

do any Japanese or Koreans play runescape? The only asians I know that play runescape are probably all Americans or Australians, also chinese goldfarms.

nah japs play ffxiv on ps4 and koreans play their shitty mmos

Im not really a nostalgiafag and I picked it up this year after not touching it since 2008, so far I've put about 300hrs into an iron man and an enjoying it, the accompanying youtube content is good too.
Mtx should never be added to OSRS as I see it, since they need a 75% poll result and the question is basically "right now you pay $10/mth and have the ability through gameplay to unlock everything except previous holiday items, would you like to instead have some content that can ONLY be purchased". It's an easy choice for people who actually PLAY the game, even though as a babby account I have go accept lots of cool content will take time to earn.

combat system sucks ass, dungeoneering and divination are absolute garbage, lodestones make law runes useless, the GE killed all trade, pffinidas is a second GE so theres literally no point not to just stand there or at the GE all day, the community is dead, skillcapes mean nothing anymore because theres so many experience bonuses, and they keep gatekeeping major quests behind needing 75-80 in some useless skill all to open a door or talk to someone

FUCK Nu-scape

You cant do a certain quest if you do this and I hope you enjoy iron man (I do)

Unless they added actual fun PvP stuff like Soul Wars or Stealing Creation it may as well not exist. Not everyone is interested in high risk/high reward gameplay of the wilderness.

That one Shield quest?

I play both

Attached: Omae wa mou Vampire.png (461x314, 195K)

My original acc is on rs3, the original i played in the real runescape 2007. Is the one I still play, is less popular online for sure desu, but R3 was plent of real girls, meanwhile osrs only have trannies. I prefer the first one.

Attached: runescaped.jpg (511x255, 49K)

Two quests technically, that one and Heroes Quest.

>Silver rock golem
Wrong color buddy

It's Amethyst

>that entire image

Attached: 3lr4wxgyouxz[1].jpg (777x743, 130K)

It always felt like such a slow burning quest line, we'd wait a couple of years for a nice big quest like While Guthix Sleeps which would tantalizingly build up the lore surrounding these gods that have all but disappeared from the lands and left their religious nutters behind and some artifacts for the player to use.

And then they jumped the shark.

lmao nigger

I've noticed it too, I joined into a R3 clan and their discord server only had normalfags, girls and guys posting their pics with their bfs/gfs, meanwhile the OSRS discord servers I'm part of only has trans or other robots like myself. But I feel like OSRS are more lazy and yet chill, meanwhile even the normalfag girls try to be super rich and good into pvm, feel like they don't have fun, I guess they are just more competive than us.

>even the normalfag girls try to be super rich and good into pvm, feel like they don't have fun, I guess they are just more competive than us.
I don't think many people play osrs unless they have nostalgia for rs2 in its earlier years. Back then the most competition you got was contained in wildy pvp and had nothing to do with pve so people retain that perception in osrs.

I just want ONE MMO to try and copy what Runescape has done.
There are a fucking billion MMOs that copied WoW in every way possible and yet Runescape is still so unique in so many ways in the MMO market.

The only reason that people still put up with jagex's constant fuckups is that there is no good alternative.

I haven't played RS3 much. What do you mean by competition? Just people standing around in the GE wearing fancy gear and bullying people that don't have the same shit?