What happened to the RTS genre?

People realized RTS PVP sucks. Memorizing builds and developing autist-tier APM aren't fun. Microing isn't fun. Building armies of cool dudes and smashing them together against other cool dudes is fun but shallow/stupid. Co-op vs AI is the future of RTS games outside of Blizzard pandering to the Asian audience they've captured with Starcraft, but that means devs have to make smarter (not more difficult) AI with more interesting behaviors. It helps to have very slow combat and use squad based unit to make the game more cinematic, as in Total War. We need more RTS games like Dawn of War 1, Kohan, and Battle for Middle Earth.

Attached: fuck you allies.jpg (565x394, 65K)

A lot of the golden era dev companies are dead or bought out.
People who want to play good RTS just play the old ones.
Not sure if there is a solution.

Attached: 1568276489057.png (260x280, 159K)

I thought RTS started going to shit when squads as opposed to individual soldier based units became the norm
would be cool if you could set the individual soldiers into squads that would behave in particular ways and work together after you did that but don't like to be forced like that

but a lot of the people who play old RTS are hoping for a new one that doesnt suck. Thats a large untapped market just waiting there anyone to come along and make decent shekels from. Maybe just not appealing enough to the big companies until some indiefags hit a home run and and show them just how much they could make off it.

Company of Heroes 1 is sort of like that but still forces squads. But you can combine two squads if they're missing numbers.
And to an extent you can control where each squad member will go.

I agree. It's just hard to sell in this era of console and PC sharing libraries. Good RTS is relegated to PC only which limits which companies will even consider making a new one.
But it could happen.

forget all that, is this necromancer the best necromancer in all RTS, maybe all video games? i can't think of any that are stronger. i can roll 6 allied hard AI alone

Attached: Screen162.jpg (1920x1080, 1.53M)

>Company of Heroes 1 is sort of like that but still forces squads. But you can combine two squads if they're missing numbers.
>And to an extent you can control where each squad member will go.

dont you mean coh2? coh1 only allows you to reinforce existing squads.

Attached: 1566690983855.jpg (1200x808, 188K)

pc gaming died; didn't transition to gamepad control.

i enjoy playing RTS singleplayer missions but i hate multiplayer because its just full on autism.

holy fuck the knights cock holders were OP
>im playing as brits
>faggot brings out his knights cocks holders
>they spend a while fucking around with my troops and retreating, gaining xp
>they're now at level 3
>fuck off with that shit
>I hit them with an arty strike
>they are standing out in the open with no cover
>its a direct hit right on their fucking heads
>the dust clears
>they're still there except now hiding in orange cover from the shell hole

Maybe idk. I dont play 2 that much. 1 was better,imo.

RTS MP attracts the worst kind of autist, it's similar to Smash and fighting games in that regard.

not an rts but why the fuck wont the Men of war devs make a 64bit version? The game would be so much grander if it didn't chug like shit no matter how powerful your pc.

RTT took over. I saw the writing on the wall back when World in Conflict came out.

DOTA and e-sports would set the downfall of the genre. It will never come back. ADHD Zoomers can't be bothered to build or wait for unit production queues. Gotta have that instant gratification that makes you go zoom zoom zoom

Microing IS fun, that's why i used to play only the custom maps in starcraft. Great tabletop game simulator.

Just spitballing here, but vidya has become more focused on online play and people usually arent willing to invest the time and thought it takes to be competitive at RTS. That said, I've been playing auto match on CoH lately, pretty fun wish there were more players

It’s quite easy to answer, strategy games don’t excel at anything to an extend that it would give them a mass appeal
>too long matches and complicated for casual players
>unfit for esports because the obvious reasons
>can’t be played on a console to the same extend as on a pc

he then proceeds to retreat them and on the way back they run straight through a 50 cals entire cone of fire, dodging bullets like some faggots in the matrix. They get back to his base where he then replenishes the ONE guy that died before sending them back out to annoy the shit out of me again. Also did no one tell the devs that getting caught in a blast of flaming death from a standing right in front of churchill crocodile usually kills people?

1 or 2?

Men of war.

you just activate your lut lmao scrub

>and people usually arent willing to invest the time and thought it takes to be competitive at RTS.
I’d like to agree with you but it’s not really the time an a thought but more the managing aspects that scare off people, after all you have people who spend 1000+ hours to study a weapon in CS:GO or a champion in LOL / DOTA

I wish we had more games like Battalion Wars. It's not strictly an RTS but it's close enough. A shame battalion wars 2 was so shit, making the entire game a tutorial was a bad call and the few coop missions there were aren't enough.

Attached: Global_War.jpg (640x480, 40K)

that's why stuff like Halo Wars came out
which is such a shame as a Tiberian Sun like RTS set in the Halo universe would be really neat

lmao just shove it in a neural network and have it fight pros. after 100 matches it becomes unbeatable, and you didn't even have to teach it shit.

great game but what this user said
Mow still has a community thanks in large part due to its modding which has added a metric fuck ton of stuff to the game, unfortunately using any near as much of that content as the modding devs intended makes it lag like shit.
>they did release a piece of shit named call to arms though
>it was basically a reskinned version of mow with I think the ability direct control in first person and the ability to direct control multiple units so you can now make an entire squad fire at one spot etc
>despite this the vanilla version of the game is overpriced af and by many accounts a completely not worth it
>based modders come along and start porting assault squad 2 assets and maps into it
>one mod in particularly basically becomes a full fledged assault squad 2 except now its 64 bit and has those few cool new features
>devs sperg out and remove all AS2 content from the workshop for absolutely no reason at all

PC gaming died that's what happened.

coh1 is better but coh2 is more balanced MP.

this is true
basically the same thing that happened to the RPG genre

what game?

i am blind and retarded: the post

user what's the name of the game?

Attached: 1568056491159.jpg (244x207, 10K)

it's heroes of annihilated empires, and here's an army i raised just by turning on my raise undead aura and walking over a recent battlefield

Attached: Screen240.jpg (1920x1080, 1.33M)

All those brave men fighting for Israel.

Hows the FPS with that many units.

in that picture, fine. when i gathered thousands until the game crashed, it'd chug when you panned over the main horde. otherwise you're golden. heres a small horde off of the main group annihilating a superunit, great fps

Attached: 832.webm (1280x720, 2.52M)

genre just has a bad track record of developers following up acclaimed RTS titles with pieces of shit and having their studio go bust when no one buys it

Homeworld 3 will revive the genre.

i thought Call to Arms was made by a totally different company that was just using the same engine as MoW? regardless i didnt like it anyways, and i didnt really like AS2 either. they just felt a lot more arcadey than the previous games and i wasnt a huge fan of all the online integration stuff. still love the original MoW and AS1 to this day though

They're all sprites except for the hero unit IIRC, it plays well. I used to do a 1v7AI game with the AI as skelly boys and they'd continually pump them out in the thousands. Best horde mode RTS.

negative, all big units are 3d as well, works out great visually

Attached: Screen127.jpg (1920x1080, 911K)

>1 was better,imo
Had a much better singleplayer but CoH2's multiplayer blows it out of the water.

Battalion Wars was such a neat game. One of the Gamecube's underrated gems for sure.

MOBAS killed them

Boy I can't wait to play this entire thing for the fifth time

Attached: kohan_1.webm (640x360, 2.93M)

I wish COH2 had an ounce of the charm the first game had.

Just discovered Kingdoms and Castles on Steam, and it's a lot of what I liked in the RTS genre. It's both a city builder and an RTS without the retarded APM shit that plagues a lot of games in the genre.

>I wish COH2 had an ounce of the charm the first game had.
It does, just not in it's singleplayer

>multiplayer changes all the voice work and shit

Yeah nah.

>CoH 1: Actually heroic men, hopeful youths, sassy veterans, professional soldiers.
>CoH 2: Everyone is a blood thirsty cunt or british.

i'm not a fan of the artstyle and it does get kind of repetitive a bit, but it's definitely worth checking out.
it's actually somewhat close to a game I wanted to make a while ago but since I found this I guess I won't bother so soon

Attached: comfy.png (1600x900, 1.6M)

>>>CoH 2: Everyone is a blood thirsty cunt or british.
Why did you repeat yourself?

>we need more RTS games like Dawn of War 1, Kohan, Middle Earth

No, we need to bring back games like Battlezone and Homeworld. The isometric RTS is worn out and the best games in that style have already been made.

Ironically, the best RTS games that can be made would be most unlike a traditional RTS.

>CoH 1: Actually heroic men, hopeful youths, sassy veterans, professional soldiers.
>CoH 2: Everyone is a blood thirsty cunt or british.
Completely untrue. CoH2 voice lines run the gambit of funny, heroic, professional, cowardly, vengeful, and everything in between.

Making a good RTS is one of the hardest genres to do right since there are so many units that need balance. You need to keep the gameplay fresh. Its hard and honestly its been out of "style" for a long time. They still get made of course like even the SC2 trilogy was really fun to play not the story but the gameplay by itself was good The game Iron harvest is coming out "soon" and its gonna be like CoH with mechs and shit. I dont think its dead but we all have to come to terms that its golden age ended. CnC Generals was my favorite for some reason.

I'd say it's the skill level of the VAs aided by excellent script writing. CoH1's voice work is more dramatic, actors put more feeling into it. The sequel meanwhile sounds like accountants being paid for it. Fitting since the first had some veteran/Hollywood guys working in it, and they've probably moved on before coh2 starts.
I can hear CoH1's lines all day long, but I turned off the voicing in coh2. It sounds fake.

RTS PVP died when C&C4 come out.

Never liked RTS PvP much, always preferred to co-op with my friends over LAN or just play singleplayer against the machine

I don't think you've played even one of these games you namedropped.

also
>isometric rts

>Axis
>XP

>Iron harvest
>console RTS
no thank you

Ya man no good RTS has ever made an appearance on console.

Attached: StarCraft64_SC1_Cover1.jpg (640x439, 66K)