How do we fix the horror genre?

How do we fix the horror genre?

Attached: Walter.webm (960x720, 2.97M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nXEF1lcW-oQ
archive.org/details/4chanSpUTVFanEverythingPDF
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Horror genre was never consistently good. Prove me wrong

jumpscares you fucking pleb. This is the only way to fucking save it. Goddamn fucking fake horror fags fucking ruining the genre. Stop being fucking pussies for two seconds.

"yea bro I'm pretty hardcore because I play horror lol BUT NO JUMPSCARES haha"

Nigger, you ARE the horror genre.

Attached: Capture.jpg (855x913, 90K)

>Horror games get popular.
>Survival horror with guns.
>People lose interest.
>Action game with horror elements.
>People lose interest.
>Adventure game where you have to hide from monsters.
>People lose interest.
>Back to survival horror.
Its a vicious cycle.

Attached: 1385407954160.jpg (800x586, 107K)

Horror games aren't broken.
They were hurt for the big game market but Capcom's bringing them back.
And indie games are still pumping out some great horror shit.

Bring back forbidden siren

Balance fear of the unknown and what player knows to fear, and don't make the player afraid only for their character's life.

Also this

We take a game like Fatal Frame where you are forced to look at deformed, scary girl ghosts through the lens of a camera, but after you exorcise them they become beautiful ghost waifus that you can rape.
Fixed.

Attached: 1541049048725.gif (498x328, 448K)

Make another game based on The Thing.

Attached: Squall_Ending.jpg (500x267, 23K)

Obliterate it.

give dead by daylight proximity chat with the killer

i can do a pretty good krueger impression

that game is garbage, though

sounds exactly what a survivor main would say

We need more horror games which do "hide from monsters" but still give you limited ammo to defend yourself when hiding doesn't work.

Thing about having a gun is that you know there's actually a possibility you'll need to use it, otherwise the game would just give you this feeling of plot armor everything time the monster enters the room you're hiding in but "lol no he went out again".

>tfw you finally get a switch

People have been starting threads with this phrase (as far as I can remember) since 2014. Image always changes every now and again, back then it was Max Headroom.

Changes are it's been even longer than that.

This. The one on sixth gen consoles had some good ideas, but was limited by what it could actually do. Build upon that.

Attached: 1567583430925.gif (234x249, 269K)

The dedicated autism of some posters on here wouldn't surprise me if it were the same user making the same thread daily

Attached: OR77Sh0.png (1250x1036, 183K)

Dude that's funny af

With an ocean liner. Long voyage, 5-7 days to reach the destination. Time period either right before WW1, or perhaps early to mid 1920s. You play as an officer on board, ordinary day on the job. Some weird shit begin happening. Strange noises. Some passengers acting strange. You go check out something in cargo hold and notice a black gooey streak of an unknown substance leading towards a dark corner with a bunch of cargo. There's a wooden crate there. It smells terribly. There's a hole in the crate, as if something broke out of it. The ship was transporting something it shouldn't have. What was it? Who knew about it? AND WHERE IS IT? Everything gradually becomes more fucked up. Some people die. Suddenly nobody responds on the wireless. The weather turns bad. Ship goes off course, the stars look unrecognizable. Nobody knows the location anymore. Ship slowly turns into a fucking nightmare, reality begins getting altered Silent Hill style.

There should be multiple endings. The ship should sink in at least two endings, one in which you escape, one in which you don't. There shouldn't be any ending where the ship arrives happily into a port and everyone is fine. In the ending where protagonist survives and the "creature" is eliminated, but the protag stays on board, then some unknown military dudes should unexpectedly intercept the ship and board it and take the protag away, hinting at some "force" somewhere knowing about what the ship was transporting and wanting to cover it all up.

It's something I've thought about many times. It has lots of potential. I think one of the most important things to make it spookier would be to never show the outside of the ship. It should only be seen from the inside. One reason for this is so that the player never gets a clear grasp of how big it is. It shouldn't be a small boat though, it should be about the size of the Olympic class or larger. Doesn't have to be based on a a real ship - in fact, best if it isn't.

What's going on here?

>6 years ago
time fucking flies

i miss old Yea Forums

100% this.

It's what makes Thief a far superior horror game to 99% of horror games.

>"jumpscares ruin the mood of horror games, I need atmosphere and tone!"

Attached: 1555358214772.png (632x756, 36K)

was it theif 2 that had those fucking robots?

I got to the second level where those things where clomping around and 12 year old me couldn't fucking handle it.

Attached: 1562856767987.png (670x578, 345K)

Sounds pretty based

Attached: Toby.jpg (1284x856, 139K)

>That long ago
Man I miss the weirdos. More people like him would be a great way to get rid of the namefags

Jumpscares aren't actually scary because they're all the same

The game needs to have one or two jumpscares, and NOTHING else but creepy/unsettling atmosphere for the rest of the game. This is the kino set up if you go in blind, prove me wrong.

Attached: 1557955669546.jpg (900x900, 83K)

I'd be down for something like this. I think something that would be kind of a neat "bad ending" would be something like if you defeat the creature, but don't do enough to save the ship itself the ending cutscene finally shows the protag finding his way to the exterior of the ship only to zoom out to show there are dozens of ships just like his all heading for the same seemingly random point in the ocean which would obviously indicate something is incredibly off about this and also far more dangerous and capable of planning that initially thought. A greater threat looms.
But that is just my love of eldritch horror type meddling bleeding in.

Cope

kill yourself

>tfw 'owning' someone on Yea Forums!

Attached: 1568415299835.gif (417x317, 39K)

Use that wii heart rate monitor to make the game more fucked up and hard to beat the more nervous you are, so you actually have to calm down IRL in order to make it through.

pwned

Since actual horror will never get the AAA budget again, just focus on making the weirdest off-the-wall designs and ideas that no studio would ever accept. Fighting against things you can barely understand is gonna be a lot scarier than a few jumpscares in the long run. Just hope indie devs go crazy and make good shit, then AAA will smell the money and throw it in that direction.

Not going to lie, I would be all over that

Im retarded. Please explain this

Attached: 1568138958435m.jpg (1024x638, 50K)

This is not something that can be explained to newfags, you just had to be there to realize what that post meant

Sports

I don't get the appeal of horror anything in general. Why would you enjoy being scared? Are you some kind of a masochist?

Attached: 1507397253986.jpg (600x728, 43K)

You might be onto something because I have a hard time getting off unless it is some degree of femdom.

Some dude stalked a tripfag and made a huge document involving shit like his printed out posts and photos and shit.
fag

add real visceral horror back to horror games

Attached: hundred leg snack.webm (404x720, 1013K)

Quit giving redditors more shit to get upvotes with

>muh reddit
>muh secret club wars
Grow up

>Jumpscares aren't actually scary because they're all the same

Horror isn't the genre for you if you "don't get scared".

There are different kinds of horror than just "scary monsters" and "jumpscares."
I can't remember what the video was called, it was something with Hitchcock. An important part of horror is suspense. If a bomb goes off in the middle of a crowd, it's horrifying. If you see a guy put a bomb in a briefcase, set the timer for 3 minutes, and then start walking through a crowd casually, that is more suspenseful. You know what's about to happen, nobody else does. Even better if there are a few close calls where he bumps into a cop and he goes "hey, what you got in that briefcase there?" But the cop plays it off as a joke and lets him keep walking.
A similar thing would be having a player get a keycard down a long dark hallway, and at the end something jumps out. That's a jumpscare, but there was no build-up or suspense. Show the player a cutscene of someone getting attacked in that hallway, then force them to have to go down that hallway to get the keycard. They have to go down that hall, they have to get that item, and they know they will be attacked. The whole time they'll be scared and expecting an attack.

Attached: 1532139392539.png (680x418, 516K)

>Thing about having a gun is that you know there's actually a possibility you'll need to use it,

I genuinely think alien isolation was scarier because of this. if the player didn't get a gun and all those tools, the game would have just been a generic hide and seek game.

The gun not doing anything and the flamethrower slowly being weaker was great.

>won't even have to wait for the end of game chat to harvest salt from assravaged SWF babbies who're mad that you won't leave the hook when you can see them all standing right in front of you

Might make that shit game worth playing again

Attached: 1516406453548.jpg (899x650, 196K)

It exciting and very moody.

I think it gives normies a type of high and burst of adrenaline as if you were doing some extreme shit IRL
Like, if you're standing on a ledge at extreme heights, bungee jumping or parachuting, it gives you this exhilirating feeling for a moment
And I use the term "normie" because these are people that haven't done anything in their entire lives, they've gone through schools to adulthood without ANY experiences that would have them gasping for air in joy.
As someone who's been a professional martial artist for nearly 20 years, I don't envy people who see military service as their highest point in life.
These people don't understand what it is to challenge yourself and feel rewarded for it, so horror simulates that rush in a smaller scale, releasing some chemicals in your head for a spike of fear and when your body is intact and you're not actually hurt, dopamine

>A similar thing would be having a player get a keycard down a long dark hallway
I get what you're saying but generally speaking if you see a scripted event happen in a hallway our gamer senses tell us that hallways is done with shit and you're free to wander through it
see; every silent hill game

What if multiplayer games encouraged players to scare the shit out of players? and indirectly encourage roleplaying the killer?

My favorite horror enviroment are buildings currently in use but empty at night.

Its like twice as solitary because people were there instead of being wholy abandoned. I personally find ransacked and derelict to not only been overdone, but misguided.

Scariest shit was the school section in outlast, going into the well lit offices and looking out into the dark hallway.

Attached: outlast-2-school[1].jpg (1920x1080, 188K)

you ever play White Day? there's a janny walking around, but otherwise the building you're in is a normal place just shut down for the night

yes actually, played the pc and the ps4 remake.

Straight up horror games are never very good, you need to hurt people on a deeper level for it to stick.

Attached: the witch's house.png (365x277, 267K)

It was posted all over Reddit when it happened, faggot.

>you need to hurt people on a deeper level for it to stick.

this, scariest shit is the background stories and dark implications.

Bring back weird shit into genre again. Truly scary games are always weird. Look at SH series, or at Afraid of Monsters mod, for example. Or entire RPG-horror genre. It was always about imagery. Modern horrors are often trying to scare players with hide and seek gameplay, or tight resource management with addition of common SCI-FI\supernatural cliches. And it is not enough. All good games with "horror" in tags always had something surreal in them. Even shooters like Doom3 or F.E.A.R.

Pretty much this

Attached: images (8).jpg (161x312, 7K)

>If a comedian tickles you it means they're funny.

Wouldn't that make for a better scare then? Purposefully mess with people's "gamer sense" to keep them on edge. Like how some people talked about games that unpaused themselves so not even the pause screen is a safe place to rest. I know when I was a kid playing RE4 I'd have shit my pants if the Regenerators could unpause the game in the hospital ambush section.

if you know of any games that really break up that mold pls list em out, i got a long weekend ahead of me. :c

if a comedian surprises you and you laugh, they're funny.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's about time Visceral releases a teaser for Dead Space 3.

don't tempt me, that would be awesome if they continued the story.

Now that you say that, why does tickling make people laugh?

>Give the player dakka and a flashlight
>Send them in to x
>Enemies have HELLA dakka and night vision and are smart
>Monsters kill human enemies and are speedy and mysterious and SMARTER than the human AI
add atmosphere and tone and soul
like STALKER
like Alien
FEAR 1 was close but only the combat was good
give the player agency
don't have gay soundscapes like slasher films. do it like Alien 1 where there's just spaceship and heartbeats.

thats reversal of expectation, that's an actual method of illicting laughs, with preparation and pay off. Jump Scares work regardless of any build up. Don't get me wrong, some can be done stupendously well, but it's a inaudible minority.

Man I just want a game where you're walking inside buildings at night that are perfectly normal and there's nothing supernatural about it, but the horror comes from your own imagination, the eerie silence, empty corridors, empty rooms, ambient of the buildings, just like in real life.
You could have multiple buildings, offices, your own house, parking lots, hotel rooms, no need for ghosts, jumpscares and shit. Just throw the player in a well detailed building where you can freely explore the entire building, it's the middle of the night, lights are cut off everywhere but the place you start at, you can put lights on and off to give some respite or use a flashlight, let the human mind conjure up some scary shit for you to be scared of, to keep those senses heightened in case of a predator attack.

That game would only work blind. If you know the "gimmick" then you've basically just made a boring walking simulator.

>thats reversal of expectation
thats litterally how jumpscares work.

> Jump Scares work regardless of any build up
no they don't, thats like saying nigger randomly and waiting for applause.

Jumpscares are heavilly based around buildup and misdirection. The best ones are the ones that you can't predict even rewatching it.

>but it's a inaudible minority.

just like good comedians.

True, but if you play Minecraft on peaceful and just build random shit underground, the ambient sounds can get to you, even when there's no threat.
Sound design can make a huge difference, just having scary ambiance can make it horror enough, it doesn't need cheap scares.

A random user was stalking a tripfag for months, maybe years. He compiled and catalogued literally every single post made by them.

The file contained all of the tripfag's posts, fanfiction involving this user + tripfag, literal 3D modeling of houses that were constructed entirely out of his posts and a bunch of other crazy shit. It's been awhile since I looked at it.

Sounds like you're describing machine for pigs.

Like everything you're describing is a dream, but you'd need to have something happen. Maybe have a time limit before morning, and you need to collect information, and maintain a generator. Maybe have limited energy supply so you can only turn specific hallways on and certain computers/servers.

Have game overs and shit be vague (not the reason why you failed, but what killed you).

I hate when a game relies purely on the "yeah we bang a fucking loud noise and teleport a monster with pale skin, wide frontal predatory eyes and sharp teeth to the center of the screen to make your amygdala haywire your limbic system" because it's scary but not really. I am tense but not because of the merits of the game itself, it's not the good kind of tense. When a game builds up well to a jump scare and it gives me almost heart attack I am impressed. When a game abuses human biology it makes me jump the same but then I feel angry.

Attached: welcome to stalker.webm (854x480, 2.53M)

Nigga you don't understand. If you KNOW the game has LITERALLY NOTHING DANGEROUS in it then it won't be scary. That shit scares you in real life because there's no way to know for sure what is happening around you with 100% certainty. "Maybe that creaking I heard was a killer breaking in my house, maybe that sound I heard in the office at night was a ghost saying something". A game is a closed system. You know everything that's in it so it won't scare you. In the same way you won't be scared of a snake jumping out of a bag you packed because you packed and sealed it yourself and you know there's only clothes in it.

Now the real way to fuck with people would be to go the GTA Bigfoot route. Where only SOME copies of the game have some actual weird shit in it that pops up and scares or kills the player. Then the stories spread as unconfirmed rumors and everyone is on edge and scared despite the game probably not having anything scary in it in their copy.

good bait, still a faggot redditor for using unironically normie

both of what you described are jumpscares desu.

Attached: spooky.gif (900x1200, 788K)

That's some avant-garde shite. Is there a game like that?

No. the closest thing is certain anti-piracy measures that are present in all copies, but only show themselves under certain play conditions

Not a bait tho. You can't even argue back.

jumpscares aren't actually scary though, they're just startling. i want a game that actually disturbs me consistently, even when i'm not playing it, without it being a virtual jack-in-the-box

maybe i'm just autistic but the anticipation of jumpscares are usually scarier than the jumpscare itself

Attached: 1553186053378.jpg (1024x768, 50K)

Yeah I remember back in the PSX days I had a pirated cd of Spyro 3. My eggs would go missing. Spooky.
Imagine a game with weapons laid out in levels but no monster ever appears. What a shit game.

spiders

Attached: 1523588999893x.webm (720x720, 1.72M)

yeah that's usually how it works.
tension is the scary part, but you gotta release tension at some point.

Add jumpscares in just to create the threat of jumpscares that you don't deliver on. Establish rules and expectations and then fuck with them later.

that's just the difference between terror (anticipatory dread) and horror (revulsion after experiencing something scary)

Just go play Metal Gear Solid 2

Just make a normal game then add an enemy that doesn't play by the rules around half way through.

Imagine playing some dry as fuck Arma campaign, driving to different checkpoints and looking at shit through your binoculars, getting into some heart pounding gunfights (cause bullets are fucking lethal) and generally playing soldier.
Then when you think you have the game sussed out, you're going to ambush some guerrillas on a night raid, you cut through a forest with your squad all with night vision goggles. The ambient noise cuts out, like a glitch or something, but one of the guys in the squad mumbles "what the fuck" as you push on toward the guerrilla encampment. The game renders big black shapes in the trees but only on the edge of your screen, so you start looking around skittishly for targets. One suck black blob just sits there and you aim at it hesitating to shoot and fuck up the mission. When the game detects you aiming at the blob it stands up and sprints unnaturally fast out of sight. It looks like a giant fucking werewolf. Then you notice there's more of them. Then they start running toward you. You set the squad to "fire at will" but your bullets seem to have no effect. You fucking run for your life. Your character is doomed to die here and the rest of the game is played as the "SWAT x files" type black ops unit investigating what the fuck happened, talking to locals with your interpreter and driving around the island finding clues and eliminating guerrillas... while trying not to get caught out at night with the werewolves. Make almost nothing else scripted, when the player misjudges his fuel usage, or the vehicle gets destroyed or gets a fuel leak and they're too far from anywhere to get to safety before sunset...That's when the real fear kicks in. Have the werewolves fuck up the guerrillas too so you can hear utter chaos in the distance and horrendous screams and snarls.

>Yes I too like post-2000's David Lynch special effects how could you tell?

Attached: B7zehYhIQAAj0n4.jpg (600x327, 19K)

There's a word that describes that sort of feeling, "Kenopsia"

Jump scares are a tool just like using alliteration in a book. They are very effective in horror and yes, they can create fear. This whole "hurr jump scares aren't akshually scary" is some bullshit that faggots heard someone else say, so they just echo it without thinking because it makes them seem smart.

Also Thief wasn't ostensibly a horror game. Horror elements in non-horror games are always a lot scarier

Attached: file.png (800x640, 458K)

>We need more horror games which do "hide from monsters"
no more of the meme shit pls god pls

you make it more atmospheric with good sound design and level design
avoid jumpscares, but if you do, don't make them cheap

youtube.com/watch?v=nXEF1lcW-oQ

that's boring you'll just end up with a new resident evil remake where you don't really have to shoot much so you end up with too much ammo anyhow. I liked alan wake though it did basically the same thing

We need more Playable Yurei in vidya

Attached: 5hZip0jkxcYQF3xSwluuAZ01gYU.png (610x355, 210K)

No, jump scares are not scary. The only thing you're 'fearing' is the next loud noise. Any noise at all could be thrown into a jumpscare and it'd make you jump. The setting is completely irrelevant.
It's fucking bullshit and fuck you for encouraging games to keep doing it.

I sure hope you aren't implying with that image that Bloodlines was not a horror game. And Thief was a horror game. Did you not play it? Thief uses the technique commonly referred to as genre shift. When it starts it's not a horror game but by the end it absolutely is.

I like it when characters experience dread. anything directed at the audience tends to not strike a chord with me.

START with one light jumpscare then keep building tension. Release the buildup of tension with one big jumpscare that has some predictability to it and give the player a breather, only to interrupt it suddenly with a raise of tension (no jumpscare here), keep mixing it up to make it unpredictable, play on expectations and mind games

Attached: 1D3B87BE64434B659EBE75B957104ABA.gif (320x260, 1.03M)

I wouldn't consider Bloodlines to be a horror game, it's an action game with horror elements

Holy shit I just read this PDF

There are no horror games that DONT have jump scares.

There are two types of scary things
terror and horror
terror is a jumpscare, it is being startled, a moment of excitement. It is what your nightmares are made out of, and will wake you with a freight.
horror is realizing that after your short, short life has passed, you will entirely cease to exist. It is the slow dread that creeps up on you in the middle of the night and keeps you awake.
And neither is better than the other, it is really up to personal taste. Stop bitching because people don't have the exact same taste as you.

archive.org/details/4chanSpUTVFanEverythingPDF

Fuck off, Stephen King, It sucked and Carrie rocked

I just want horror games to be longer than 11 hours if it going to be in 3D and to be more open than just being a fucking movie.

tl;dr?

fuck off if you're this lazy

But I liked both

It's 97 pages user, I'm curious but im not sitting through all that

stop asking to be spoonfed