What was the big deal with this game...

What was the big deal with this game? It was kinda interesting gameplay wise and had some funny moments but the whole morality aspect of the story fell flat. Convince me this was as good as the hype was because I dont see any need to go back to it.

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/tumblrtale/order/asc/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's just a quirky game, what else do you want?

uhh what was the big deal with cocaine? It was kinda interesting but the whole high fell flat. Convince me this high is good cuz I dont see any dsneb to bam cto ttt..=

FUCK YOU NIGGER

It was well written and it made me feel, not many games did that to me.

The secret hunting and investigating made the game for me

it is one of those games that got lucky with the net fame and every hipster eat up all the crap about it. It's not awful but not great, just overrated because "muh feels"

If it didn't vibe with you then there's nothing anyone can do about it and that's okay, it doesn't need to appeal to everyone.
I personally really loved all the characters, the humor, the simple yet very effective writing and the story themes.
The music especially was also god tier, i don't think there's a single song in the game that isn't at least slightly above average, with a few tracks being genuinely iconic.

best posts

>morality aspect
What?

It was a cool mechanic where you got a feelgood ending for being friendly but didn't solve any mysteries for you until you stabbed all your friends to death.

It wasn't, pseudo intellectual assholes latched on the whole 4th wall break as something revolutionary, Tumblr idiot saw alphys being gay for fish girl and also latched into it

Nobody likes Undertale as an actual game

It plagiarised good games that kids are too young to have played

>Convince me this was as good as the hype was
No.

>What was the big deal with this game?
Easy to make fancontent of because of recognizable character designs, moments, phrases, and especially music remixes
>Convince me this was as good as the hype was
Why would I want to do that? Hype is stupid
>I dont see any need to go back to it
You're not supposed to. In fact the game specifically asks you not to.

Considering when the game was released which was at a time where people we're starting to get sick of gritty realism, it's no wonder people couldn't get enough of it. It helps the game is actually good.

To be fair its the first game to fully embrace meta references as its story.

>Plagiarized

I don't think you know what that word means.

>as good as the hype was
It wasn't. As much as I enjoyed the game, Undertale was horribly overhyped and I wish people stopped treating it as a GOTYAY tier game

If you are curious about homosexuality, it's a obvious choice. Queer game

Hello, it is me, the Yea Forums poster who hasn't accomplished anything in his life and defines his empty personality entirely by the things he dislikes.
I am here to tell you that the thing that universally got praised for being a very creative homage to classic RPG titles with good writing, a fun meta narrative, solid gameplay, great character design and an amazing soundtrack is actually bad because like, uhh... it's tumblr and ehm.. oh yes, it resembles the game that it is openly inspired by in some superficial ways! I am so smart for figuring this out!

Here are some of my posts if you want to see more of my amazingly well thought out perspective:

It wasnt that well written. The shit at the end with asgore and the blatantly obvious "hurr you r da bad guy all along" was awful.

The music was great and it was pretty funny but it never really got beyond "this is pretty nice" while it got hyped like it was a piece of sterling art.

>hurr level of violence
>hurr how dare you kill enemies who are attacking you
>what if the humans are really the bad guys asgore dindu nuffin

I think I'm just disappointed about it being so inconsequential and as deep as a pond when it was meant to be well written.

I'm OP and you need to calm down lmao. I still enjoyed it but it's not that creative and the writing is incredibly weak. Beyond the sans/papyrus section it was at best "fine". I think this says a lot about the standards in vidya given how much it was hyped.

>muh blatant strawman
It was just a route selection mechanic.

>all the greentext in that post
You're a retard, the game explicitly says the opposite of all of that.
You're treated as justified and constantly forgiven for killing monsters, Asgore is treated as a weak loser who did bad things out of cowardice.
The pacifist ending is not the "default" ending, neutral is.
The point of pacifist is looking beyond the mistakes of others and practicing empathy, you get rewarded for being nice but that doesn't mean you get punished for not being a pacifist.
Only the genocide route actively treats you as evil for killing.

I responded to a few posts you need to expand your response beyond buzzwords

You're giving the writing way too much credit and filling in blanks that dont exist for the sake of seeming like you "got" it. It's just sloppy writing.

>convince me this was as good as the hype was
You don't want to be convinced of shit. Stop pretending you were going to change your mind of anything when you made this thread, faggot.

No i don't, everything i said is either very obvious subtext or explicitly stated by the characters.
It's not my fault that you're too dumb to get a game written for literal underage teens, i'm honestly shocked you didn't get any of this while playing. Did you skip through half of the dialogue or never talk to any optional NPCs?

you literally don't get the true ending unless you replay the game and get a pacifist run. the game was designed to be replayed and to reload old saves.

Or you just
Play pacifist from the start
Which the game makes EXTREMELY clear is a viable option

You can get a pacifist ending on your first playthrough.

I started playing today. I like the humour and it makes me laugh. The battle gameplay is a good idea but I don't really like how it controls for the mostpart. Redoing battles if you lose or if it's a random encounter you've already done is kinda annoying and it's very frustrating that you can't just retry a boss battle if you fuck up and therefore have to walk from the save point and mash through dialogue.

I'm not sure if a no mercy run would offer much different. I'm intrigued to see how the story would change but it seems like it might just be very annoying to have to whittle down health bars for some enemies.

Try to not always mash through dialogue if you're redoing fights or events, dialogue might have changed.

>You literally don't get the true ending unless you replay the game and get a pacifist run
No, the condition is having OmegaFlowey defeated. You can play pacifist until the end, reload your save before Asgore and backtrack to the hotel to trigger the phone call to start the Alphys date.

>if you lose
?

My guy this game was made for tumblr, there are no remotely challenging fights outside genocide

No Mercy isn't as different as you might want, the ending changes a bit and so do some NPC interactions, but if you want a more different experience then i'd suggest doing Genocide.
It's kinda grindy but it actually conveys the effects of your actions on the world very effectively. It also has the two best boss fights in the game.

I know that it did with some of them but I was pissed off so I was mashing. I think one thing that annoys me is that I have a low health value but I don't want to use healing items because I'd rather just be good at the fight. Healing seems like cheating but eventually I realised that was annoying me, but then Undyne came along and I basically just had to heal every few turns. It doesn't really feel like I'm doing well in a lot of places.

the game is alright and takes things from other retro games, but majority of the fanbase hasn't played the games its based on
the furriy/lgbt crowd really latched onto the game

What's the difference between the two? I assume you have to seek out hidden fights for genocide or something?

I almost feel like i'd rather just rewatch the game rather than replay. The dialogue is the most fun I'm having with it.

In Genocide you have to farm every area until random encounters stop spawning and kill every boss, but unlike No Mercy, it drastically changes the way the entire game plays out.
It becomes a completely different story after the first hour or two.

>planescape torment
>loved on Yea Forums for having violent and non violent conflict resolutions that effect the course of the story rather than full focus on combat
>undertale does the same thing albeit to a lesser degree
>wtf why do I have to be nice to npcs to get the nice ending

Beofre reddit took over Yea Forums, the game was called "tumblrtale" here for a reason. You have to be a twitter tier, phoneposting norman to enjoy it.

Attached: 1511326023094.png (1200x675, 775K)

Yea Forumsfags want games that offer real consequence to choices and then piss themselves when those consequences mean they won't get the happiest possible ending after slaughtering half the population.

The game was loved on Yea Forums for the first few weeks you retarded tourist, stop trying to fit in.

Good sense of humor and character writing. Even the trailer was funny. WAY better if you go in blind. Way better than anyone expected for a $10 indie game.

shut up you stupid fucking newnigger, Yea Forums absolutely adored the 2013 demo. It was barely even discussed anywhere else.

Before electionfags took over Yea Forums, the game was called "I want to fuck Toriel" and it was a demo.

hahahaha it looked like kids game but it had dark jokes inside it lol, isnt it subverting! it funny and childish but also dark too! haha damn, imagine me, unironically playing baby games lol i jinxed ya

If you don't like undertale your mother will die in her sleep tonight
Only normies and trannies don't like it

Its just a nice, self contained single player experience which was cheap, had good music and an excellent build up to some "fights".

I feel as if streamer culture ruined a lot of people's perceptions of the game, as I cannot imagine the story having the same effect when watching some idiot react with a chat compared to playing it alone.

Thats really its appeal. A short but interesting game that was also cheap. with low and high points.

>now that the archive is broken, we can totally rewrite history, fellow redditors! Yeah!

boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/tumblrtale/order/asc/

You faggots are lucky it stops at 2015 now.

Attached: 1455140618013.png (256x256, 30K)

because Yea Forums liked it and then it became popular everywhere else which means we have to hate it more than any other game to compansate

I think it's crazy that some people watched this game instead of playing it. It was the perfect game kind of game to play blind and then find out what other people's experiences were afterwards.

I like that Toby was aware of it though, the genocide route explicitly calls out people watching it instead of playing it.

I actually just decided to play through this after seeing all the hype about Sans in Smash. Wasn't spoiled on anything so here is my relatively unbiased review:

I dug it. For an 8-bit indie game I thought it did a lot of things well. Simple, memorable story with a lot of consequence to choices, multiple endings, and interesting subversion of JRPG tropes like EXP, LV, and SAVE. Great music too.

I got the neutral and pacifist endings. Going to try a genocide run now. I like how the story has so many layers to it even though it's a pretty short game. Every enemy has a story. Every character has another side to them, particularly Chara, Sans, and Asriel.

The humor isn't for everyone though. Obviously neither is menu-based combat and random encounters. The story won't resonate with everyone either. Personally I enjoyed it and I recommend people give it a try.

Attached: DCjmRuNXsAURLBq.jpg (1024x683, 58K)

It was well done in terms of the player experiment, and predicted possible paths a player would take well. That's honestly beyond most games already, but it's still a baby rpg with Gradius sections stapled between. I wouldn't mind this if the characters weren't so one-note and half the levels weren't bland.

That all being said, it's a game tailored for over-sentimental JRPG fans, and although the decisions are measured well enough, Genocide is boring not due to the gameplay not supporting it well. I originally came to Undertale hot off of MGS: Peacewalker, where the game engine could easily support you killing everyone all the time (and R&D taunts you with tons of ridiculous guns), but I still went with the CQC banana because it was rewarding and feels good.

Honestly, there are plenty of janky CRPGs that handle dialogue selection and consequences much better. Undertale's talk selection is analogous to casting a spell in Finaru Fantaji.

I liked it. It's pretty unique and fun, plus Toby's music is superb. It's not the literal greatest game ever that some people think it was, but it's definielty going to be remebered as one of the most important indie games.

the answer is homestuck

Maybe it just isn't your thing user, that's perfectly fine as well. A lot of people just really enjoyed the characters, the world, the music and the whole blend really. It got picked up and the fandom that spun up, with the metric shitton of fan material carried it very far.

It's totally fine if it just didn't end up being your thing, it's not a game that would please everyone.

I genuinely don't know how, after specifying Earthbound as the main influence, you picture for even a second that it'd play like a WRPG.

>Honestly, there are plenty of janky CRPGs that handle dialogue selection and consequences much better.
The dialogue selection was just flavor, the consequences rely purely on how you approach the gameplay.

I never said it would. I just drew a contrast.A lot of the dialogue is flavor, so is the game, but the game mechanics are a factor how you approach the game.

It caught a lot of people by surprise, it entirely falls flat if you don't dig the humor and characters, but it really resonated with the people who did. The game gets much worse if you know things about it prior to playing it. The game also was fun to discuss when the content was fresh since there was such a high amount of small details, jokes and lore in dialogue. Its also premium youtuber and streamer bait since it has many moments where people may be interested to see reactions to.

It isn't as good as the hype, the game does have flaws and the hype insinuated that the game was one of the greatest games ever, but despite those flaws the game is still great as long as it appeals to you, for a cheap turn-based rpg indie, its exceptional even.