1 man project

>1 man project
>made in spare time while creator worked at a printing company
>hand made sprites, music, coding
>stands on its own as neither a Metroid or Megaman rip off
>perfect unique weapon mechanic that is punishing and forgiving at the same time
>interesting characters that are charming and don't wink at the camera needlessly
>released to everyone for fucking FREE

Please I emplore you to name me a more soulful game. Because I don't think you can.

Attached: 0e83db8b2a0a66a67f7f0016882a0ead.jpg (321x480, 77K)

>try to do all that
>sprites aren't coming out the way I want
>backgrounds as well
>don't even know how to make the music

if you make the game fit the tone, you can use public domain classical music and most people won't recognize it anyway
they'll think holy shit this developer is as good as mozart

wonder if anyone ever tried this

A bitter redpill for you today: Cave Story would become lost and forgotten in today's indie game environment.

The clones of the game wouldn't exist.

I could apply the same logic to something like Ocarina of Time.
Cave Story pioneered indie games.

No Cave Story = No Undertale.

Counterpoint: Undertale

What about undertale tho

I'll be honest I want to make a Metal Slug inspired game but I just can't seem to make good sprites of characters let alone draw them normally or animate them

Is Kero Blaster good?

>Please I emplore you to name me a more soulful game. Because I don't think you can.

Attached: Iji.png (766x512, 230K)

metal slug spritework is absurdly high quality, some of the best the industry has ever done. They had a team of talented artists work on that, it's not at all feasible for a solo indie dev to even come close, and you shouldn't beat yourself up over it tbqh.

Cave Story is even unknown for most core gamers. It's literally only here where it's mentioned quite frequently.

Way too many cute furry creatures to slip by

I literally cant, cave story is pure soul

Attached: quote.png (720x720, 6K)

Gonna be honest. I don't know what this is.

I'm not saying I want to replicate the art style I know that is some high quality bs but I don't also just want to make faceless square people

Iji is overrated.

Barkley Gaiden comes close, but Iconoclasts is my favorite.

Read the sticky to learn how to draw in the first place. You gotta learn to crawl before you can walk.

Attached: 1537804351119.jpg (1280x720, 308K)

Was it super successful amongst core gamers when it came out? Most people with more than a passing interest in games knew what it was in like 2005, but the average Madden crowd never cared about it

Kero Blaster is also good, shorter than Cave Story but it still has little secrets and unlockable omake modes.

Attached: Kuro.png (396x238, 20K)

I'll be honest this is the furthest I have come to actually doing a project I have so many notes and ideas written down I just don't know how to move them to the screen I don't know how to code, animate or write music but I don't want to stop now because I don't want this idea to go to waste like other ideas I have had

LISA the Painful

>funded by kickstarter

Sorry bud but Cave Story still wins. Don't get me wrong it's still soulful as fuck but it just doesn't dethrone the king.

Attached: f82068b8759754e3ac8f50ab3847df90.png (800x565, 317K)

There's a yellow frog?
That reminds me there's achievements I still need to unlock but don't know what I am missing.

>Pixel will never make a new game
>Pixel love for gaming and developing is gone forever thanks to the evil fucking jew that manipulated, scammed him and destroyed his drive

>stands on its own as neither a Metroid
It's literally a Metroid "rip-off" The entire idea behind the project was Pixel's take on Super Metroid, since he wanted it to be cuter.

Overrated shit

I think like one or two people have been posting this lately. Literally no one talked about this game until the past month or so.

tell me the story user I haven't heard that

just continue doing it even if stuff looks a bit off.
I mean look at undertale. It is one of the most popular indie games in the world now despite having shit graphics.
He did black and white battle screens because it was easier to draw, but now they are considered iconic

you're right I'll try out that studio Toby used too I heard it's forgiving to new people

What's with all the cave story threads all the sudden? Did something happen

The original La-Mulana? It's not enough like Maze of Galious for me to call it a clone. I like Cave Story, either way.

How many decent indie games are made from scratch nowadays?

I disagree

yeah but undertale had the advantage of already having the homestuck fanbase on board

Cave Story is the apex of soul in gaming. "7th Stand User" has considerable soul itself, given it's creation by an autistic housewife with basically no coding ability who had to use inefficent unga design to make things like timestop work.

Metal slug sprites is great but not that great. The sprite cheats by having a lot of movement in them. If you see some of their sprites, they just move parts of the base sprite. If you are great enough, you can do something similar especially with the tools we have now. Onion skinning was fuck awful in the old days with most artist going back and forth between digital and physical for drawings.

If you really want my opinion, most of the sprites in metal slug are grainy as fuck. Only some of the stuff like vehicles were drawn with great care.

>tfw Pixel said Cave Story 2 was "very likely" but couldn't make it now because everything is owned by nicalis

Why not falseflag as SJWs to hasten the demise of Nicalis with this new cancel-culture meme? Didn't they just get in trouble for saying something edgy about Blacks?

name 1 (ONE) game with better pixel sprite animation than Metal Slug, I fucking dare you.

I didn't like it that much but I can respect it considering he put years into it and it's free.
one of it's characters being in slap city gave it that little nudge I guess

castlevania

Even nimtendo has done this.

not even close my dude

OK

SF3 Third Strike
KOF 13
Red Earth/Warzard

The answer is simple, Touhou.
Its popularity has long since entered a loop, because the fanbase makes the franchise and draws in more fans.

Attached: Reimu.jpg (800x1000, 240K)

Melty Blood?

>literally no one talked about this game until about a month ago
confirmed newfag

>the same game over and over and over
>every character is the same
>tragic shut-in fanbase, most of which don't even play the games
Anti-soul. Hell, cave shooters have more soul.

Touhou has great character design and great music but the gameplay depth is lacking. The 2D sidescroller fan projects have better potential.

The first two games aren't really alike, then the third one was PvP