Why didn't Nintendo simply call the DS, the "GameBoy DS"?

They could have saved themselves embarrassment for their "third-pillar" excuse (which was bullshit to begin with) and not take an unnecessary risk (even though it became their best selling handheld ever), as well as not have two separate handhelds to support.

I would have just called it the "GameBoy DS", and then continued the GameBoy line in perpetuity.

Attached: SwitchDS.jpg (1280x720, 80K)

The failure of the Virtual Boy made them hesitant to name another high risk system after the Game Boy line.

The GBA came out in 2001 retardo

Demographics shit. More females bought the DS than the GBA. Though a lot of women bought the original Game Boy for Tetris.

Game boy became synonymous with "handheld game device" and they wanted to differentiate from that. It wasn't "just" a gameboy.

HIGH RISK SYSTEM
An upgrade to the previous system isnt a risk
but shoving two screens onto something is pretty risky

The DS outs×Ħld the Gameboy massively so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Because they were coming out with a new line of products? What are you asking?

They all need 3-letter designations.

What does it matter if nintendo milled out gameboys in favor of the DS anyways? They traded one handheld brand name for another. There was literally no reason to not get a DS because of its backwards compatibility all the way through the lite generation.

they should have caller the wii u the wuu

>gameboy sp

AGS worked out fine, didn't it?

Attached: XJH14504809_03_back.jpg (1449x1518, 688K)

>but shoving two screens onto something is pretty risky
I'll never understand this line of thinking. I'm not saying that you're wrong about their reasoning, but the whole line of logic screams of "Clueless Japanese businessman."

Why didn't Nintendo simply call the Switch the Super Virtual NES 64U?

Because if it bombed, there goes the credibility of the 'Game Boy' name with it.

why didn't nintendo simply call the game boy, the "game & watch 2"?

But the DS is a handheld game device

Do you have internet explorer or something? This post feels over a decade old.

lol because they werent sure if the DS was going to work out?

Because the embarrassment you speak of doesn't exist anywhere on the face of the planet aside from the deluded mind of some autist. Also
>as well as not have two separate handhelds to support.
So you look at the reality of the current situation where they dropped the successful GameBoy line to support the even more successful DS line, and you come to the conclusion that if the DS line had been unsuccessful they would have felt the need to keep supporting it?

This seems like a lot of bending over backwards just to make a mountain out of a molehill.

But still they released the Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP and Gameboy Micro after it?

more like gayboy D(ick)S amirite hahahah

Attached: 1543902619252.png (851x778, 268K)

Because that would have caused more confusion.

Yeah, re-read the post again. People called every off brand piece of shit a gameboy. Nintendo wanted to separate itself from that brand.

Okay listen here. Thats because the Nintendo DS is a new thing. Its not a gameboy. Theyll probably reveal the new gameboy this e3. This has all been confirmed by reggie and nintendo themselves

[Spoiler]anyone else remember this gem and others from the ol' Nsider forums?

Yeah that worked really well naming the Wii successor Wii U.

>I would have just called it the "GameBoy DS", and then continued the GameBoy line in perpetuity.
Oh yea thats not gonna be confusing
>sir do you have gameboys in stock, my son wants one for his birthday
>sure thing mama, do you want the gameboy ds, gameboy advanced, or gameboy 3ds?
>ummmmm
>oh and we have the new gameboy 3ds and the gameboy 2ds. So which will it be?

there are a sizable about of gamers who don't even know what is a better, a 3ds or a 2ds and you wanted nintendo to confuse the fuck out of parents by still using the same name they had already used for 7 other products?
I bet you thought the switch should have been called a Wii U 2

Attached: 1543451492889.gif (225x225, 481K)