Is there a single likable JRPG protagonist? They're all either whiny moralfags or just extremely bland and low energy

Is there a single likable JRPG protagonist? They're all either whiny moralfags or just extremely bland and low energy.

Attached: Shulk.png (311x499, 170K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jj84qXDT8S0
arch.b4k.co/v/thread/477845112/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Is there a single likable JRPG protagonist?
Play Estelle's game.

Attached: Estelle bloodthirsty.jpg (1024x701, 168K)

Tried it and didn't like her at all, what a dull as fuck tomboy stereotype.

Vyse from Skies of Arcadia and Yuri Lowell. Nobody in Xeno I would say, I guess Fei is kinda interesting but he's bogged down by all his mindfuckery multiple-personality baggage.

Literally a bland genki shoujo protag, fuck off

>Is there a single likable JRPG protagonist?

Attached: Fang.png (468x797, 230K)

Yuri Lowell

Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia does what is necessary

He looks like some Sword Art Online levels of weeb cringe

LOCALISATION OH MY GOD

For me, it's Fei Fong Wong

Attached: Ness_clay.png (796x1199, 645K)

>he STILL hasn't played Vesperia

Attached: 4bamw7sFy1r3ezgp.gif (400x571, 476K)

Yuri Volte Hyuga is the superior Yuri JRPG protagonist

Unironically cloud
>he's a whiny emo
he isn't, that nu-cloud

Attached: cloud.jpg (1010x704, 146K)

Yuri from Shadow Hearts and Stocke from Radiant Historia

Stocke

Attached: RH_20101210_03_zpsa3b44a05.jpg (1000x950, 290K)

based

>Yuri from Shadow Hearts
Based
>Stocke
This nigger is so overrated and boring.

Attached: Ffta-marche.jpg (250x273, 16K)

Attached: tanji.png (1280x719, 809K)

he's a whiny moralfag
kudos for dabbing on the escapists though

>kills people because his own sense of justice says it's the right course of action
>dragon-dude wants to kill Estelle for the same reason
>"WHOA HEY YOU CAN'T DO THAT WHO LET YOU DECIDE WHO DESERVES TO DIE???"
>nobody ever points out how hypocritical that moment was
I don't get why you guys suck off Yuri so much

Attached: 1252368435666.jpg (202x251, 9K)

it's okay when it's to protect the fapbait

Estelle hasn't hurt anyone yet and Yuri promises he'll kill her himself should that ever happen, and almost ends up doing so.

Yea Forums is full of teenagers

He was based.

Attached: Nier_Gestalt.jpg (1280x800, 264K)

Was gonna say him. Shulk in the first half of XB is also way better than OP is pretending.

There's also Gig from Soul Nomad, Kalas from Baten Kaitos, Arc from Terranigma, Aya Brea, Lan and Hub from Battle Network, etc.

>tsundere
>likeable

Attached: 9GAG.jpg (256x298, 21K)

That's why you make PROUD moralfags with HIGH ENERGY.

Attached: 2334116766808.jpg (1080x1350, 175K)

>protagonist is not an oblivious retard charging headfirst into everything
Why don't more games do this?

Attached: 1559311839119.jpg (351x440, 44K)

Rean is more of a chad in his likability.

Sorry you can't deal with writing that's not in your face.

Yes

Attached: A97DE2B8-6B32-4248-9E08-F44EEFB01101.png (678x948, 741K)

She's literally Naruto with a vagina.

FF2 Firion

>will beat up old men carrying canes and pregnant women as long as he announces his intention to do so first

There is a difference between subtle writing that makes you read between the lines, and a bland cool guy.

>Game still forces you to commit every single mistake to 100% it.

Attached: 31BA91E2-722E-4A8C-94C4-711A60D9350B.jpg (640x480, 46K)

You'd be wrong. Fang is absolutely great as a character.

His core personality trait is that he's a massive slacker; because he knows he can get away with it. And he ends up saving the world, because everyone told him he wouldn't be able to get away with it, and he doesn't like that attitude. Fang does what Fang does, because it's what Fang _wants_ to do.
And if that involves stabbing that particular continuity's version of a resurrected Satan in the face with a man-high broad-sword, then by god: face-stabbings are what we will have.

Things never really become more complicated with him outside of those core motives, and that's what makes him incredibly endearing.

Bratz and most of VI's cast, Cloud, and Vivi were better. And Tidus is the best written FF protag undermined by his own game's story. Fight me.
Cecil and Rydia were absolutely the first well written FF characters, though.

Rance

Stocke isn't cool at all. He's a quiet ass nerd who is constantly pondering shit and choosing his words very carefully. He isn't exciting or extroverted, but he isn't bland.

What IS bland is the game's writing as a whole, goddamn.

bland

Nobody said the story/game was good.

>A fencer and the main character of this story, Fang is often perceived as a poor fencer because his sole interests are eating and sleeping and has no interest in reviving the Goddess. His other defining feature is his desire not to have his fate determined by anything and anyone but him. While initially having no desire to be a hero he gradually grows to like the role. Finally, Fang hates unnecessary death, something fueled by the deaths of Apollonius and to a lesser extent Ethel.

Oh he becomes a moralfag?
Gotcha

Holy fuck that's even worse than I thought.

Nintendo perfected the JRPG protagonist 20 years ago.

>silent
>pantomimes any info that needs to be said
>has no qualms kicking anyone's ass
>likable, recognizable character
>starred in 3 separate RPG series, all of which are touted as unique and fun

No joke, I'll take 1000+ hours of Mario pantomiming and jumping on goombas, before I suffer through even one hour of shulk being a whiny baby, or Tidus being an annoying brat, or Estelle being as bright as a wet match.

Attached: mario.gif (230x369, 27K)

I like the protagonists in Ni No Kuni 1+2

This.
It appeals to the "lazy but gifted" (in their mind) crowd in between 16-23yo

>Nintendo
Squaresoft*

Also Crono

>before I suffer through even one hour of shulk being a whiny baby
It takes 100 hours before that starts. The first half of the game is pluck, misery and rage.

His faux-Italian gibberish in M&L is even better than mere pantomime: youtube.com/watch?v=Jj84qXDT8S0

Cloud
Squall
Zidane
Tidus
/thread

The same way BOTW perfected Open Worlds.
As in, not at all and only for the people who have no experience with the genre.

You forgot
>marries a little girl

>Cloud
Yes
>Squall
Whiny bitch
>Zidane
Loldbzno
>Tidus
Ahahaha

You tried/20

Asbel

>the MC of this game is great I wonder how are the rest of...
>Joshua : *tips hat*

Attached: 1553305127892.png (676x702, 1.82M)

>perfected the JRPG protagonist
>silent

Attached: 8350be28ffe79ba6c375c171473ddb2fbf9ca166v2_hq.jpg (689x720, 82K)

he's the typical "I want to eat and sleep and do nothing" type of character until [EVENT] happens and then he becomes generic

Attached: 1559779101470.gif (600x450, 87K)

Yes.

Attached: celes 2.gif (175x250, 412K)

>wanting a talkative protagonist

Attached: Cheetos.jpg (303x351, 36K)

>*steals your waifu*

Attached: Rean_Schwarzer_CS3.jpg (516x772, 91K)

fuck off, acfag.

*ahem*
FUCK TIZ
FUCK AGNES
AND FUCK EDEA ALL DAY

Attached: ringabel.jpg (210x240, 14K)

He’s just a shell though. Barely any characterization. You were better off posting Lucas who at least talks in his own game and has scenes where his character is developed

I guess I hit a little too close to home.

Attached: a3b50156056a9be11555b0c9756f98ee.jpg (920x1320, 120K)

You posted one

Not him, ACfag hates all JRPGs by default because they're "cinematic."

>bland
>moralfag
I almost never give a shit if a protagonist is a bit bland. It's not incredibly important for a protagonist to have a lot of personality videogame especially if some degree of self-insertion is expected. Also, one that has morals that more or less coincide with the intended goals of the game tends to make a game flow better.

Why are protagonists from obscure weeb jrpgs all have the same look?
You know? The "generic anime boy" look. The only thing going for them are their clothes

Galahad Fortress is nowhere near 100 hours in

Red from Pokemon is pretty cool
So is the Pokemon Adventures version of Ethan.

Shulk is still acceptable, but I assure you that once you've reached peak bland MC, you'll go as far as wishing he was a silent protagonist.

Attached: TMS_Itsuki_Aoi_render.png (1114x3500, 2.88M)

>but I assure you that once you've reached peak bland MC, you'll go as far as wishing he was a silent protagonist.

like Noctis? The only thing that makes more more bearable than a blank slate is that he loves to fish.

>you are either a psychopath or a moralfag

Play good JRPGs

Attached: Ryudo and Skye.jpg (454x788, 62K)

The leading man himself.

I’ll accept this too

Attached: F641C96B-990B-44C3-A5B7-7274F97C6836.jpg (760x428, 79K)

Targeted MC design, basically

It is of you're doing all the sidequests.

Not even the best protagonist in his own series.

>never even got his own game

FFXII

I think it's supposed to be a bing bing wahoo joke in that in games from 64 onward Mario is anything but silent.

The same reason all anime MCs look the same, they are supposed to be relatable to the main audience.

Big problem is they have too much personality to be self inserts but are too bland to be memorable characters.

Vaan indeed is a shit protagonist, but let's be real, Basch schould have been the protag

Neku Sakuraba

>Noctis
>bland
You serious? Dude is a fucking nerd.

Attached: ezsbfugdossjbbrhfwmp.png (1600x900, 2.29M)

Zidane is good it's just that his cool-kid attitude does come off as a bit try-hard at times and his visual design can be off-putting.

>Xenoblade actually already made a god-tier protagonist
>He's trapped in a dlc

Attached: Addam_Portrait.png (400x400, 259K)

Never played any other game in the series, though.

Attached: 20a754bf41225b405c9ee3334ba89ce2.jpg (770x1000, 145K)

NO MYTHRA
MYTHRA STOP
MYTHRAAAAAAAAAA

>Neku Sakuraba
t. cringe and edgy zoomer

Jin was the protagonist, but Addam is indeed nice.

no offense but that is not part of the main game

>The leading man himself.

Balthier does what he does in juvenile rebellion against his father's wishes. He has a smug and cool facade, but deep down he's still a whiny teen brat that didn't get his way.

And he wasn't the protagonist of the game.

>Married
>not a teenager
>doesn't let his whiny bitch thot blade control
>great lines
>good life mindset

>writers are apparently butthurt about all of this so they make him "weak" and this manlet have all the power of the universe

Attached: 6.png (643x669, 321K)

Kind of
[Spoiler]Also Yu[/Spoiler]

Attached: Flynn.jpg (660x401, 38K)

>He has a smug and cool facade
That's all you need to impress Yea Forums

OI! CUNT!

Attached: Wylfred.jpg (1216x1160, 213K)

Tanjiro is even blander than Deku. Fucking normies thinking Demon Slayer is some sort of revelation.

Also, this guy. You guys should play better games.

Attached: 249355-kaim.jpg (727x960, 46K)

I like Addam AND Rex

Lost odyssey is a meme

The actual writing of the game is fucking garbage, and Kaim has no lines

Everyone just jerks off to the random mini-novels you find, where the characters actually have fantastic writing, WHICH ISN'T REFLECTED ON WHATSOEVER IN-GAME

The short story writers and the actual game writers were two people, you shouldn't be okay with that

Is CotP any good? Should I play Silmeria first?

>Tanjiro is even blander than Deku
Based. Watching Kimetsu right now and he's boring as shit with his chronic hero syndrome. Doesn't help that fights end up being boring and non-strategic since demons recover from non-beheading wounds. 8/10

No this in XIV made me angry. He was actually really interesting there.

Its alright, worth it if you want a good tactics game on the DS. Never played Silmeria

Does anyone here actually LIKE silent protagonists? Genuinely?

Like you hear about some jrpg you're excited for, and learning the protag is silent makes you happy?

Attached: part 1.jpg (1080x967, 49K)

Demon Slayer is an above average anime being touted as AOTD by people who get all their shows from Netflix and Hulu.

The fact that anons actually defend x2 as the best xenoblade game and even go as far as saying its "best jrpg ever"

WITH THIS ABSOLUTLEY UNLIKABLE SHIT AS THE -MAIN CHARACTER-

Just fucking blows my mind

Ignore them for the sake of your sanity.

>even go as far as saying its "best jrpg ever"
What? I'm pretty sure that's a very small minority even among the XC2 fanbase. Why do you guys like stirring shit up so much?

> The actual writing of the game is fucking garbage
I don't know what are you talking about, but this was the one of the better JRPGs that I've played.

> Everyone just jerks off to the random mini-novels you find, where the characters actually have fantastic writing, WHICH ISN'T REFLECTED ON WHATSOEVER IN-GAME
I can agree with that, at least.

apparently every piece of media outside of FFXV makes Noctis seems like a good character when he is bland as fuck in XV

and to be honest I saw the AC outfit and thought it was the AC/XV crossover thingy in XV

There are a few people like that.

The South Park and Paper Mario games are the only games I think it worked for

Zero from DoD3

Well yeah, every fanbase has its few over zealous fans.

I like characterized non-silent protagonists desu

>Oh he becomes a moralfag?

He doesn't. That description is wrong. He never grows into being a real pureblooded hero.

He's initially in it for the personal gain: the Goddess granting him any one wish and that continues to be a prime motivator. He later gets betrayed by a former party member with a smug superiority complex who belittles him, and Fang simply wants to prove him wrong. Finally, the fate of one of his love interests ends up intertwined with resurrecting the Goddess.

I.e. Fang never becomes an altruistic moralfag; he's always playing a personal angle.

His resentment towards applying lethal force towards other named characters also doesn't come about because he hates unnecessary death in the sense that "all life is sacred" or such bullcrap. It's because he himself specifically did not want to kill a few of them, but due to fate playing its hand they ended up dead anyway. The storyline in his game contains a timeline-rewind event and he specifically Groundhog Day's it with prior knowledge to try and avert that fate. And specifically his motivation again is that Fang is supposed to get what Fang wants; screw fate.

I hate it. I hate it even more when the character has an established personality but are mostly silent anyway, like Ludger from Xillia 2. He had more goals and motivation before the start of game than any other tales protag. Why the fuck did they not give him lines?

No, you were right, I meant to type "Now this kinda thing in XIV made me angry." As in, how he's way better in crossover stuff. Go look up his XIV quest chain, it tells you more about Noctis in 30 minutes than XV as a whole does with almost no exposition.

The whole TWEWY crew. I dont think any of them actually know they are fighting to save to world at any point, they are all fighting for personal reasons relevant to their characters and their character growth.

Attached: 1387510488900.png (307x436, 179K)

>silent
Stopped right there. The "silent protagonist" is one of the worst cliches in a traditional JRPG. You have a pre-defined character, with a pre-defined look, in a pre-defined story, with a pre-defined playstyle with pre-defined cutscenes but he's silent so you can "relate to them" or "decide for yourself what their voice is". This makes no sense.

It's just a compromise between an actual character and a character entirely made by the player. In the former you can have a character with a unique personality and interesting interactions or dynamics with other characters (ala Luke fon Fabre from ToA or Joel from TLOU) or you can have a character that is entirely made by the player (like in Fallout or other tabletop-inspired games where you make a character, decide what their stats and skills are, decide what they say in dialogue, and so on).

The "silent protagonist" meme doesn't take advantage of either. You don't have an interesting character who develops or interacts with other characters, and at the same time you don't have the freedom of choice of a character made by the player. In the latter it actually makes sense that the protagonist is silent because the game is literally designed around building dozens, if not hundreds of potential characters, all of whom have tons of potential personalities and who the player ultimately controls in both action and dialogue, one or even several "voices" would have no way of fitting all of them. The "silent protagonist" is neither.

The worst example is probably Dragon Quest XI, your past child self has a voice but for some reason you don't, it was completely jarring

>Immediately established as a born leader: within a few minutes of rolling into a new town he jumps into a fight with an invading army and coordinates all the local mercenaries like a general, he effortlessly networks with elites even without his royal heritage being known, gathers intel with keen intuition and smart connections.
>Strongly characterized as perpetually tired and dazed, as well as easily sidetracked when lacking things to do, but has incredible amounts of enthusiasm for his hobbies.
>Comes off a bit rude at times, but is interested in the life of the common man for more than its novelty. He likes to listen to people's troubles when they aren't petty and is fairly quick to open up to kindhearted people.
>Has doubts about his choices and what his "friendship" should mean when he has a duty to his people.
>Despite his hesitation and constant pessimism towards himself, he's determined to do anything for the people he loves.
I want a game starring 14's Noctis.

There you go.
>b-but she's not a generic anime fuckboy, I can't play this

Attached: 58828282_p0.jpg (1720x1400, 621K)

>hates Women and God
Is he... /ourguy/?

He fucked that big titty bitch, you bet he is.

yeah shulk get stuck in :)

Stocke, Radiant Historia.

Haha...

>pseud wankery
It's a minor detail you are wasting your life nitpicking it. A silent JRPG protagonist is literally just supposed to look cool. The difference between him not saying anything or saying something generic is minimal and for a game like Crono Trigger winds up working exceptionally well.

Off the top of my head
>Stocke
>Neku

based

extremely based

and Bunny too!

Attached: DeSu-Hero.png (350x472, 86K)

Shulk was great for the first third of the game when he had a robot killing boner, but he’s boring and sucks after Metal Face falls into the void.
Also Chrono is pretty based.

Jack is funny. I'd join his party.

Attached: Jack.jpg (904x1580, 387K)

beepzorz thread

arch.b4k.co/v/thread/477845112/

Attached: the-hands-of-young-barber-making-haircut-to-PEPDEGU[1].jpg (2000x1333, 1.71M)

Mario.
He's not whiny.
He's not a moralfag.
He's not bland.
He has ton of energy.

Ramza is pretty cool. Ever vigilant and deals with nothing but bullshit without letting it get him down.

Roxas

Is there a better protagonist in JRPG history, unironically?

Attached: Rance39.jpg (1200x1763, 461K)

Using an eroge protag is cheating

Holy shit

My nigga

Attached: aika vyse.gif (373x281, 1.84M)

Name ONE that can even come close to Rance

Aqua is.

Attached: Aqua_KH0.2.png (504x703, 219K)

Caim

Haha, thats Rean wife.

How he fuck is estelle a tsundere, she says what she means.

>Neku
>edgy
Didn’t even get past week 1, did you?

>start off hating how much of an emo bitch he is
>game repeatedly calls him out on being an emo bitch
>he gradually improves and ends up being a total bro
Neku’s character arc was great. He really did change himself for the better.

Attached: 9th anniversary.jpg (658x680, 91K)

me

>gary stu
>literally everyone jerks him off
I bet you like Isekai, too.

>Cloud
No personality
>Squall
Edgelord
>Zidane
Bland
>Tidus
having brain damage is not a personality

Cloud
Vyse

uhhhh hold on I'm gonna scroll through the thread now because now all I can think of are self inserts or boring

Ashe was the main character of the story. Vaan was there as the key component to keep her from going warmongering psycho. That was his entire role and it was pretty well done. It was a neat change of pace from the typical protagonist system.

I feel like the majority of Yea Forums has no idea what was even going on in FF12.

yuri form shadow hearts

Attached: Yuri-shadow-hearts-13850163-650-871.jpg (650x871, 205K)