Fire Emblem translator BTFOs new censorship allegations

>The original English version was just Treehouse fanfiction to begin with

Attached: 1568389156111.png (1030x921, 454K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iv0w6EffYfY
kantopia.wordpress.com/2019/09/12/fe-three-houses-localization-bernadettas-eng-b-support-dialogue-change-in-the-patch/#comment-24311
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Wish I was none the wiser.

I too can read moonrunes and op is right.

And that crossdressing business? Fake news, they said scarecrow in the original.

Death of the author. No one cares what the original moonrunes said. I'm not playing that version, I'm playing the NA version and in that version Bernadetta was originally characterized as having underwent severe abuse, then they censored it to a far lesser one. It's a slap in the face to players.

wow thats cool
what about the rest of the changed lines

>Twitter @
Fuck off and go back.

>my game for children should have themes of spousal abuse

Check my 5

Attached: 1545429891684.png (547x513, 291K)

>No one cares what the original moonrunes said.
Yeah that's why we had 500 posts about single line changes and the integrity of the original developer's "vision" then seethe when developers put trans flags in their games

And here I thought I was gunna buy it. Guess I'm getting Daemon X Mech instead.

I would be annoyed too if actual writing got censored but political propaganda for one side was left alone.

Yes it should.

Imagine, just imagine, caring this much about some shitty NTR dialogue.

>Believing in PR damage control
Kys. Still not laying another cent on Now's latest fuck up.

The "discipline me all day" part got left out, it still implies abuse.

"He would tie me to a chair and discipline me me all day, so I'd be marriageable in his opinion." is how I'd translate it

I thought they censored because of Australian ratings regulations

children can handle a lot more than you think.

What about the cross-dressing one?

I love this "Death of the author" thing, which exists solely so people can ignore what is actually there and shove whatever context, characterization, and plot they want to see into it.

just learn japanese

Or the one where Sylvain hits on Ashe and Ashe gets mad? Or the one where he calls Dimitri cute?

>Yea Forums is so retarded it thinks spousal abuse = cuckold

Why does Japan always writes souless dialogue?

That would require re-recording the voice lines, the thing in the OP does not

Awakening and Birthright are the best FE games.

>early-mid 2010s
>meme translations running rampant, characters sound like internet shitposters
>late 2010s
>every translation is stock ass directly translated Japanese, characters sound like aliens

>Yea Forums seethed when people rightfully dunked on Persona 5's translation for being too strict and alien

Attached: 1526965070280.png (736x603, 40K)

that's good, japs are aliens. their only form of humor is puns that don't translate and everything else is robotic and polite.

Japanese dialogue really does feel kind of bland a lot of the time desu, I never fault translators/localizers for trying to spice it up a little as long as the original intent is kept
The most extreme example I can think of off the top of my head is the original Yugioh series, the dub has a lot of things to meme about like Joey's accent, but it unironically feels like it gives him a lot more character compared to the original

Not always. 3H just has a bad script.

The weird part about P5's translation is that the issues are almost all in the first 3 hours, you have stuff like Sae's conversation before meeting Joker literally making no sense, Kamoshida was a scum, etc. and then it just drops off

Echoes was the perfect localisation imho. It translated everything and kept the exact meaning, but not the exact words.

Nah fuck that cunt, FE localizers deserve only scorn given their record

Nintendo already censored Edelgard's support, and then had the fucking cajones to AFTER RELEASE patch my game to meet the standards of an Australian rating board.

Attached: 1566433261812.jpg (1400x2000, 258K)

Celica comes off considerably more stupid in the English localization, the reason nobody shits on it is because the game came out a month later in English so nobody bothered comparing the two versions

That's not true. Every character has a unique way of talking.

Do you mean the yobai thing? The extremely Japanese cultural thing that has no (zero, zip, zilch, nada) equivalent English translation? The thing so obscure that when the JP support is explained to English people there has to be an asterisk to explain what the fuck yobai is?

As far as options go to translate it, "restless" was pretty clever. What would you have used?

Attached: 14093905238.jpg (870x954, 103K)

Eh Three Houses handles adult themes better than most M-rated media that try way too hard to be adult and sophisticated, Edelgard for example is a more believable and more well rounded Hitler figure than Daenerys ever will.

>admitting you did a piss poor job at translating the game at first

P5's English isn't awkward shit because of a strict translation - there's plenty of loose translation in there too. It was just translated by people who weren't very good.

I played the undub ROM. There weren't glaring differences like in 3H, but the bigger issue in 3H was that they excised all personality from the script. The dialogue is just bland.

Yeah thats great and all, but im sure we can all agree who the cutest girl in all of fodlan is, right?

Attached: 1B67E8CD-56DB-429D-BE2D-CC72AF0012B8.jpg (1024x731, 99K)

I couldn't play Echoes in JP precisely because of Celica's seiyuu. Her dub was kino by comparison.

Balanced by Alm's JP voice being very sweet on the ears.

90% of the characters have 1 personality trait, and it's the focus of their conversations for literal in-game years. That's fanfiction-tier writing.

Blame Sega for putting all of Atlus USA's senior staff on Yakuza 0 instead. This isn't even a conspiracy, they outright bragged about it in a PSBlog post to show how dedicated they were to Yakuza. Atlus USA doesn't even exist as a publisher anymore, and their priorities are Sega games first and foremost. The new Sakura Wars is getting a faster localization turnaround than P5R

Screw your shit. Where is Annette and Gilbert in the golden deer route!!??

Attached: f728d6587d3a6f41a63c1b1f80f3828e.png (424x439, 251K)

there's no 5, why did you lie to me?

Hilda is.

Hilda is sluttier than Dorothea

Claude talks in idioms. He keeps using kabuki-inspired lines.
Felix is familiar to the point of rudeness with everyone, but Dimitri likes it because he's like the only one calling him Dimitri instead of denka (which you's translate as "the prince" or "highness" depending on context).
Dimitri has the most thesaurus rich vocabulary in the game. If there's a more subtly sophisticated word choice for something, he will use it. The way he talks is very elegant and it contrasts with his rough side.
Sothis talks like you'd expect an old witch lliving in the woods to talks. Super old-fashioned. The character who talks closest to her is Hanneman.
Hanneman uses old-person language, but with the pronoun wagahai... which is associated with cats. Which dilutes his seriousness.

These are just some examples, but 3H has a lot of show don't tell characterisation that was lost.

Wow we went from one bad translation to another bad translation! Wouldn't it be nice if we just got the proper translation instead of talking about which one is censored more?

Do you think Cinderella is too hardcore for kids or something?

So why are there so many fucking sub purists in this thread?

>why do so many people prefer a more subtle and beautiful language over muttspeak

English voice acting for anime characters sounds cringy in like 80% of cases while the Japanese original only sounds cringy in 50% of cases.

Yes it should you retard
Check this 7

Because in English, shit like that sounds fucking awkward and unintelligible.

If its the same and doesnt matter why change it?

Because English is an inferior language.

Eh, I prefer the old version or the untranslated one.

Did they also remove that cringy "crest babies" meme they put into the dub script?

>wrong about 5

Opinion invalidated and safely discarded

>Because English is an inferior language.
Weeaboos, non-ladies and gentlemen.

People who write these long ass autistic screeds about the nuances in anime games have never worked in translation in their fucking lives. This kind of thing is so dumb.

I played the game with Japanese voices and English text so I was able to directly compare them. There’s so weird translations here and there but 99% of it is the same as the Japanese text and the 1% that’s off is close enough. The only way to truly experience something as it was “intended” by the original author is to experience it in its original language anyway.

It makes it easy to spot self important fucks at least.
'Death of the author' was really only meant to be used so people didnt judge works based off the author's own life and vice versa.

Q. What does 「良い相手と結婚しろって」 translate to?
1. To make me a good partner for marriage.
2. To be a good, submissive wife.
3. To be a good wife.
4. None of the above.

Hey, motherfucker cocksucker, some kids grow up in households where they go to bed every night listening to their parents shout and, sometimes, break shit and throw each other around.

Pretending that bad shit doesn't happen doesn't erase the bad shit.

>The only way to truly experience something as it was “intended” by the original author is to experience it in its original language anyway.
Aren’t these the same people who preach about how you’re not allowed to watch anime or play Japanese games unless you learn Japanese yourself?

Sadly, the console war-rotted brains on Yea Forums only care about censorship that can be used to shitpost against a game.

retards think you can just directly translate shit. English is a better language than gookspeak when done right anyway, the tactics ogre LUCT translation is way better than the bland japanese original. Of course most translators are hacks who can't write for shit and have political motives.

2 would be most accurate given the context.

Yea Forums
>It's about the vision intended by the original developers of the game bro!

also Yea Forums
>whining about River City Girls' english voices

What the fuck kind of doublethink is this?

The evidence in the top part directly contradicts the explanation of said evidence in the bottom part.

Alright bozos, here's your Cipher reveal of the day. Say ONE (1) nice thing about Lysithea.

Attached: EEVFg9eUEAA7ua8[1].png (679x473, 761K)

This. English > Japanese
The issue isn't translators however, it's editors. Companies that localise niche anime games are too cheap to hire good editors and to put their scripts through multiple QC passes. You can also blame a culture of someone 'owning' a script: if it's the translator, the result will be an awkward overly literal mess, and if it's the editor you get rewrites. Translations need to be teamwork.

>English is an inferior language
He's right. J*panese isn't much better tho

all languages suck, stop talking

This, hard. I was part of a fan translation effort years back, and we usually took turns reviewing each others' work until everything was perfect. When only one person did a stage, the end result was horrible - sadly, a few of those were left in the final patch.

Despite having low hp and pathetic defense, she's moderately useful on non-maddening mode!

What were you translating? Some obscure manga nobody knows about?

Dirigkdtkoem mfhektilr risorjhktmflx epeo einricksicrkdk solejtlcsoe dmdn.

Rkckrokf

It's still a censored game though.

Gundam TRPG.

Cool.

Ztyuired yorethu abyana, initut iaiaiaiaiaiaia

Are there any dubs that you like Yea Forums?

You're such brave and strong men HaveyouacceptedJesusasyourpersonalsavior?

Attached: GS Ep9.jpg (640x1920, 460K)

There's way fucking worse in this game than that

Ghost Stories and Crayon Shin-chan were great examples of transformative media.

>B-but muh based nintendo didn't censor my games

Attached: 1532456709203.png (213x204, 91K)

lol mutts are really stupid. enjoy your "inoffensive" version. this is why mutt entertainment is totally dying.

this is merely a sort of dark comedy, and yet sjws censor everything like chinks do. amerimutts are really chinky.

I don’t get it

Every fucking time with these weebs

>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT CAN'T EVEN BE DIFFERENT BY A FEW WORDS IT HAS TO MATCH THE ORIGINAL EXACTLY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>"What? Of course I don't use the dub. Who cares that it's exactly the same like I demanded I use the subs anyway."

Attached: 1453871618224.gif (314x319, 98K)

youtube.com/watch?v=iv0w6EffYfY

Skip to 0:55

So literally the only dub Yea Forums accepts is Ghost Stories, and only because of meme potential?

>the entirety of the gaming industry is 1 person i dont like

>the entirety of social justice discourse is one person I don’t like

I'd give you a list but then that'll be spoonfeeding

Attached: spoonfeed.jpg (229x282, 62K)

That isnt true, the rainbow has many colors.

>falling for this damage control

This "super literal translation" is completely wrong.

Americans will say some animes that aired with a dub when they were young and they watched. Notable examples are Yu yu hakusho and Dragonball Z. They will tell you the dub is superior despite never even watching the original Japanese one.

It's because Japanese is a simple language. Verbosity isn't a thing in Japanese, everyone talks like a grade schooler.

>'Death of the author' was really only meant to be used so people didnt judge works based off the author's own life
But...understanding an author's life leads to better understanding of their work in the first place

it was obviously the kind of cringe wank fantasy fodder fan service nips put in everything in the first place

Attached: 1510151506389.png (680x680, 416K)

>"fixed" B support
>didn't fix the actually butchered S support
Death to treehouse trannies and their apologists

Probably because those things are impossible to translate into English. "Watashi" and "ore" have the same literal meaning, but convey very different personalities. Yet if you try to translate them differently, people will say that you're fucking up the writer's vision or some shit.

This. Death of the author is more accurately meant to be used when they do shit like JK Rowling does to Harry Potter since the last book was finished.

No, shut up. Works are to be viewed in a cultural bubble, where nothing influences them and nothing is influenced by them, and the author is just a paragon of emotionless objectivity whose opinions cannot be questioned or debated. Saying otherwise is tantamount to revealing that you are a Jewish Bolshevist seeking to exterminate the white race.

>game for children
This game doesn't use furigana. It's not for kids.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo has a quality dub.

what I've watched of ghost stories

So there are no good dubs?

The biggest thing that pissed me off about the writing in this game is that Petra still has retard speak after the timeskip. What a wasted opportunity to show character growth

And each color is filled with faggots

The problem is that it usually leads to the stupid rationale of
>Oh he was an X, of course he thinks A
While ignoring the argument the author actually makes.

this is interesting

Why couldn't they have given her a voice actor with a non-American accent? She doesn't sound foreign, she just sounds like she has brain damage. Maybe they were worried it would offend someone?

I wish you would die instead of the author. The only way to consume media is in the form most closely representing that which the author intended to provide.
>playing with dubs
Degenerate
>changing the subs for political purposes
Unironically fire them

>english b support
>support
you mean like a kaishakunin?

>wtf why do people want to experience something in the original language it was created in

Nowhere does the original script say something about making someone a good wife. It's about her father wanting her to marry a good party.

Because we don’t all fucking speak Japanese?

English is lingua franca, weeb. Subs are superior because the purity of the media is tainted every time you fuck with the source material. Ideal world you would learn the language of everything you watched/read/played.
Considering that would be fucked we have to settle for subs.

That's why you use subs
Are you that slow?

Except if you stick to subs, it distracts from whether or not you can tell if the animation is good or bad.

can someone explain to me why it doesn't mean something more like "Get married to someone good!". also seems to think the translation isn't correct

I don’t think he was saying it was incorrect, I think he was saying it was the wrong approach to localization.

I thought this was a joke, but are Americans really that handicapped that they can't read subs and watch something at the same time?

Attached: __fujiwara_no_mokou_touhou_drawn_by_shangguan_feiying__ca598a00f6001dd96c69d427e0058601.jpg (390x462, 112K)

I've heard this shit before but cannot understand it. Are you people 80 years old? How are subs difficult to read without you staring at the bottom of the screen for 10 seconds?
And I'm not just talking about anime, I'm talking about any international media. I've watched euro films and shit and have no trouble reading the subs while paying attention.

She doesn't have an accent in Japanese either, just wonky grammar

No it doesn't. If you use dubs you're literally consuming an entirely separate piece of media. Unless the author directed both western and eastern dubs at the SAME time then sub is the only answer. The original language, the inflections, the phrases, all of it, that is what the author created. Even if they personally over saw a dub after the fact it's still an iteration and interpretation on the original media.
Fuck you brainlet. Learn to read faster. How can you not watch animations and read at the same time.

It seems more like "marry a good partner" rather than "make her a good partner" to me. Maybe my brain is slow today.

What, and the sub isn't?

It's always funny to see EOPs complaining about dubs when they're consuming the exact same script, at least in the context of games. Learn to read faster? Why can't you just learn another language?

And what if I’d rather watch an English adaptation of the author’s work because the original is completely fucking incoherent?

Funny how nobody said that about Echoes.

See:
Nice gotcha, retard. The sub is inferior but it's the closest to unimpeded within practical tolerance. Yes if you read/play/watch nothing but nip media you absolutely should learn japanese.
Brainless retard.

>the original is incoherent
>the adaption isn't
What the fuck is this analogy. Sort your shit out and get back to me you fucking loser.

What did he mean by this

They should have done it anyway in my opinion.

>Yes if you read/play/watch nothing but nip media you absolutely should learn japanese.
If the work is going to be packed full of references to the regional pop culture, then not even learning Japanese is going to help you understand it. You’d need to be born Japanese to do so.

>but it's the closest to unimpeded within practical tolerance
Maybe, but if dubs are say, 50% close to the original, subs are up at a whopping 51%. It's a negligible difference.

Are we still talking about a game set in anime medieval fantasy land?

>You’d need to be born Japanese to do so.
That's not how culture and references work. You're joking, right? You already ran out of defenses and are moving the goalposts this hard?

It's more like 50% and 70%. If you know some Japanese at least it's 50 and 80+%.

Irrelevant. You would be experiencing the unadulterated media and therefore it would be better. There are plenty of English pieces of media that have references you wouldn't understand for instance. That doesn't mean that watching it in English is somehow less true to authorial intent.

That's absolutely not true at all. Lets ignore certain teams taking liberties with their lines. Lets ignore translators getting things wrong unintentionally. Just going off the difference in performance there can be major differences in how a character is perceived by the viewer.
You are basically a complete fucking idiot.
Dubs are like 30% whereas bad subs are 40-50% and goods subs are 70-80%
Please kill yourself.

People will shit on you for this but you're not exactly wrong. Humans are incapable of multitasking but instead are really good at changing between different tasks. Most people see this as "good enough" but it really isn't. The human brain is also far, far more attuned to picking up verbal cues than written ones.

In other words dumb E O P cucks will never be able to truly experience foreign media to its fullest.

>I watched a youtube video about multitasking and am now an expert in the field

>hur hur the human brain
If you want to play that fucking game then you're not even seeing the entire image at any one point either - dip shit.
Stay in your lane and don't try to take you "I Fucking Love Science" articles into a real conversation.

You stupid fucking nigger. You absolute subhuman abomination.
We want what the creator of the game makes. We want their product. We do not want what a bunch of literal whos - whom treat the product with, at worst, actual contempt, or at best, indifference - to decide what the audience of said product should ultimately experience from consuming it. Simply altering it as a matter of course, to earn a paycheck.

If thats what you want, then I will personally pay someone to shit in the next coffee you drink. You best drink it with a smile on your face, lest you be labelled a coffee purist.

The cope levels of EOPs are honestly embarrassing.

If you know "some Japanese"? You mean a few stock phrases and honorifics, right? You guys are a riot.

>>We want what the creator of the game makes. We want their product.
That's great. Feel free to start learning Japanese at any time, and you can get that.

someone points this out to the person who provided the "super literal translation", and he appears to say he took liberties with it

kantopia.wordpress.com/2019/09/12/fe-three-houses-localization-bernadettas-eng-b-support-dialogue-change-in-the-patch/#comment-24311

Really? Celica being a dumbfuck was because of shit translation? Thank god I'm studying moon

>calls people EOP
>supports shoddy translations
>thinks actors who cannot and would not even attempt to recreate the mannerisms of the original actors are true to the source
>thinks that, knowing all this, subs aren't as true to the source as dubs
>chides subfags for being linguistically lazy while endorsing the LAZIEST possible choice
There's something wrong in your fucking head.

Looks like both translations are off, but the original english version is better. It's just slightly more flowery than the japanese.

>if you can't get what you want you should get the opposite of what you want as a compromise
Man are you a lawyer? You logic is flawless.

>Simply altering it as a matter of course, to earn a paycheck.
It’s not to earn a paycheck, you asshole, it’s to try and ensure that audiences that DID NOT FUCKING GROW UP JAPANESE can experience a work the same way that the original audience experienced it! And if that requires changing the script in the process, then so be it. That’s localization!

>took liberties with a "super literal translation"
What?
>I thought the phrasing in that sense would be inconsequential (training for a good/rich husband vs training to be a good wife).
What?
Is he retarded or something?

This. It's always used as an excuse for those with an agenda. Whenever someone invokes death of the author, I immediately think they're going to start spouting bullshit.

Baccano's is nice, I think it captures the excitement of the show well

>can experience a work the same way that the original audience experienced it
>by changing it further from what the author intended
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The laziest possible choice is playing games in English, though. Being able to read is not an impressive feat, you are arguing purely a matter of personal opinion. Both you and the dubfags you despise are consuming the same dumbed down media, only you seem to take some kind of offense at being compared in this way. It's like laughing at people drinking out of the sewer while you're drinking your sewage cocktail out of a fancy glass instead of your bare hands.

The original product is the opposite of what you want? Then why are you so upset about "localization"?

>女装した男
What?

>both options are imperfect and I think you're shit
>so you'd better take the worse option because fuck you
Ok

MAKING THE MOTHER OF ALL OMELETTES HERE, Yea Forums. CAN’T FRET OVER EVERY EGG!

this thread is hilarious
acting like japanese is some god language when anyone with a functioning brain can tell that villains that go HORRRRRRRAAAAAAA and roll their tongues 1000 times is shit.

t. linglet

Hey, I don't give a shit if you prefer sub over dub. I just think it's hilarious that you get upset when I tell you it's the same shit in a different bottle, and that you base your whole identity on your preference for the more "accurate" option.

Translation vs. Localization. A good team doesn't just look for a 1 to 1 translation, they retain the spirit and intention of the message while making it sound natural in the target language. It's been this way forever in literature it's only gamers and anime watching mouthbreathers that think a direct translation attempt is a good thing. Original line was better because it more clearly conveyed to the player the attention. A "good wife" has a different connotation in Japan than it does in the US. It needs less dialogue to get the point across in Japanese but in English you need to be clear you're talking about training her to be submissive, something taken for granted in Japanese culture.

SJWs ruin everything

Yes you dumbass.

"Suki da yo"
Good translations:
"I love you"
"I like you"
Decide depending on mood and context.

Bad translation:
"I like you" if it's a clearly romantic scene
"I love you" if he's talking in a more abstract way ("I like that about you")
"Rawr! That's dragon for I love you"
"You're the best best there ever was!"
Also changing the scene so there's no suki there.

Get it?

>base your whole identity
Oh? That's news to me.

>spirit and intention of the message
Is in the semantics of the delivery. Even if we're just talking about scripts writers pick particular ways for characters to voice particular opinions. Now add in to that the delivery and liberties in content associated with dubs and tell me that localisation retains anything you fucking arsehat.

No, clearly the best translation is “You are worthy of my grace”.

If you didn't get the context of it based on what was said, you might be on the spectrum

>"Rawr! That's dragon for I love you"
This will never stop being hilarious.

NO FUCK YOU ONLY BABIES TALK LIKE THAT, HOW DARE THE CHARACTER BUILT TO BE A MOE DAUGHTERU FOR THE PLAYER TO DOTE OVER BE DELIBERATELY OVER-CUTE, MY SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF IS SHATTERED

>Given their record
Treehouse*

8-1 had a godly SD translation.

>Dude here is some shit for this game I finished
>Nice, its in
>Wait, I know its in already, but lets take that out man, for no reason
>Whoa, fuck yeah, good job
Imagine defending this shit.

Japanese doesn't translate 1 to 1. If you want the author's pure message learn Japanese or stick to Western games. You exact translation fags always get uppity about MUH AUTHORS INTENTION but have zero self awareness for how you consume your media.

all I see is two mediocre translations

All localisers deserve the noose. The very fact that they're localising instead of translating speaks volumes.

Gotta get paid

>All localisers deserve the noose. The very fact that they're localising instead of translating speaks volumes.
And people wonder why anime fans are so stigmatized.

>hmm this character is cute
>let's make her even more cute!
>ooops now she sounds like she's 10, but you can marry her off
>oh I know let's just make all her S ranks platonic
>b-but that won't fly
>ok let's make her sound 6. And brain damaged. Reddit will defend us then!

>it's not perfect therefore it's all shit regardless
There's degrees you complete and utter autist. If you're getting fucked and need a translation better to get a more literal one and retain the original vocal performances than guzzle fanfiction by some complete loser Americans.

I agree with you, all localisers deserve the noose. Because then, there won't be any translations left for you peasants to bitch about, and we can have comfy threads for games that aren't filled with retards.

Based.
Too many autists think JP VAs are actually good, but so many suck ass.

>Crest babies
>Cringe
Are you from reddit or resetera?

8-4 is fine. They changed a lot of shit in Awakening, but it still had charm and some of the changes were net positives, like Gregor being a russian mercenary type dude. It's not great but it wasn't that awful either.
Compare to Fates.

We need to build that stigma back up. There are too many normalfags in anime now. I wouldn't want it to become comics or games now would I?
>testing the waters with multiple anime/manga adaptions just like comics in the 90s
>netflix starting to introduce filthy western money into the market where it has no business being
Getting real sick of normalfags.

What’s wrong? I thought you liked it when your waifus and daughterus behaved like they were in kindergarten, since you could get it into their head that sex slavery was natural and necessary for them to live.

It was a retarded joke Treehouse put in. Reddit probably loves it.

Doesn't matter whether they're good or suck ass. That was who the author chose and that is the actor they directed on conveying the character. What you 'prefer' is irrelevant to what the product 'is'. Go wank off to Ghost Stories or something.

How about choosing not to get fucked at all. By supporting shoddy translation work of any kind you continue to prop up mediocrity and allow them free reign.

Read a book dumb E O Ps.

This mindset is literally the reason why Gamergate happened.

>>>/reddit/

B Gata H Kei, easily

I don't care about gamer gate. What do you mean by this comment and can you justify your reasoning.

>Fire Emblem translator

Attached: 621100.png (1000x800, 350K)

Extreme elitism and gatekeeping, believing that normalization and destigmatization of a subculture you belong to only leads to decay and death.

>By supporting shoddy translation work
I don't support any translations financially ,':^) and I don't have the time to heavily invest in learning a new language right now. So, in lieu of that I want the next best thing. Subs that are made with the goal of being as accurate as possible.

not him, but to that i say thesis's ship is a good thing to talk about in this regard.

i'm sure you know of thesis's ship.

That's literally how everything is translated though. Go read up on any translator of foreign language literature. Murakami himself works directly in the localization of his works into English specifically because Japanese can't just be Google Translated into English and published. It requires a fine tooth comb. People who get up in arms about localization tend to hyperbolize everything as censoring tranny stuff but there's much more nuance to that. 仕方がない is always a go to example because it's used so often in Japanese it's almost like a sigh of sorts and can mean a number of different things. Translating it directly as "It cannot be helped" for one sounds really stiff in English because people just don't talk like that in English really and second it loses the alternate meanings that the phrase carries in Japanese. That's a case when you need to look at the context of the sentence and think about having the character say something else that better conveys what the author intended in Japanese. You're not rewriting the character's personality or the meaning of the sentence but you're localising the idea of the message in a way that readers lacking knowledge of Japanese conversation can understand in their own language. And just to close, this isn't just my philosophy this is how PROFESSIONALS TRANSLATORS handle high profile works.

That did happen in the western gaming industry through.

It literally does.
Elitism and Gatekeeping are buzzwords screeched by people who aren't willing to lurk. God bless Yea Forums for still shitting on retards it has stopped it becoming like Yea Forums

So you want a product, but you're not willing to pay for it. And you seriously wonder why translations are made for mass audiences who DO buy shit?

The submissive wife line made me care a lot more about Bernie as a character. It's a shame they went and changed it.

I know of Theseus’s Ship, but not Thesis’s Ship. I assume it involves beta uprisings and mass genocides?

>thesis
Back to school user.

>God bless Yea Forums for still shitting on retards
>he says while there are currently 10 shounen threads up on the catalog

oof, typo'd.

regardless, theseus ship, how much change can a fandom take until its not the same fandom?

You're generalising. Translations in general are made for free by lads who went all in on jap or whatever language they've chosen.
Why would you pay for a bad commercial product.
>if you don't pay for bad product you won't get GOOD product
So I take it you're not in business. If you're willing to pay for bad product then there's no reason at all for me to provide a good product at my own expense.

Except the spirit of old Yea Forums still exists in /vg/. Yea Forums is mostly just Yea Forums for people who don’t like looking at nudes, furshit or goatse, and has been under /pol/ occupation for 5 years.

but that's not what Gamergate was at all

Blame mods for that. They explicitly let toonami and naruto back. Further shounen isn't an issue in an of itself. If you wanted improvements you'd be bitching about all the seasonal anime threads instead of older anime threads or the prevalence of manga threads in general. Fuck off.

>It's better if their bad
Imagine being this fucking retarded

If it transforms, then it could be for the better just as likely as for the worse.

>not seething when gears devs normalize and enable mentally ill fuck wads who want to give society a face-lift

Okay? You needed to evacuate your board to a tripfag paradise in order to maintain what little character you had left. On the other hand Yea Forums weathered the storm. Perhaps you should be looking into that.

>people complaining this change when there are worse translations in the game

Attached: 1542306248407.png (409x445, 231K)

>They're*
I'm retarded

>Further shounen isn't an issue in an of itself.
Imagine if half the threads on Yea Forums right now were talking about the latest CoD and Fornite. That's Yea Forums.

Oh right. Gamergate was about trying to purge women, gays and trannies from existence and assert WASP male dominance over the entire planet. My bad.

>complains about subs
>can't get they're there and their right
I think we found the issue lads

>the censored "rout the enemy" games are the best
Go back

Wasn't it about journalists being sellout shills to gaming companies?

No you're right. Instead they're talking about wanting to cum on characters from games they don't play. You fucking got me. At least Yea Forums will watch something before that.

The text is on an image guys it must be true

See
I corrected it before you even had the chance to point out a typo instead of argue a point, dingus

Because Yea Forums never had an influx of generals or Pokemon threads so bad that caused people to complain so much that Moot was convinced to isolate those aspects to other boards.

>Translations in general are made for free
This is just straight up delusion. Not only is fan translation deader now than it ever has been before, but it's still declining.

I take it you're not in business. Who is the best audience to pursue? Braindead pirates who will throw a shitfit if you remove an honorific, or the other 99% of the market who might pay for your shit, and just want something they can read?

That's not what it was about either.

If it were I would have been interested. Alas it was moralfagging and virtue signalling. The entire Vivian crowd funding saga was the cringiest shit I've seen.

well yes, but that wasn't the question i was asking with it, which is, again, how much change can you make to something, like a fandom, before it stops being what it used to be?

i don't have the answer ofcourse, but i'd like to hear what your answer is.

No. Journalists having friends isn’t corruption. It’s being productive human beings with actual fucking lives.

>translator
Make up your mind
I thought they all were merely "localizators"

In Yea Forums they just straight up banned the threads. Honestly I'd have preferred them going to /ag/.

you know what you're complaining about, right, Yea Forums? Now, I don't disagree with you, but there's a word for this phenomenon. It's cultural appropriation

>I know I'm retarded which means I'm not retarded
Pulling out all the stops for me today aren't you mate?

Yea Forums does and did have to deal with generals and while pokemon is irrelevant it has it's own bullshit like the big 3 shounen (and the nu3) for example.
I'm just hearing excuses.

Hellsing: Ultimate

>Mate
I'm not trying mate with you, fag

Anti-localization retard just needs to think about how things would look in reverse. Try translating things like sick, wicked, tight and bad directly without localizing them from the altered meaning they've taken on in English to the appropriate equivalent in another language. Badass does not become warui oshiri in Japanese.

>all localizations are bad
>laughs in kid icarus

I just told you my answer: “So what?”
So what if it transforms if the ways it does so make the culture more tolerable and less batshit insane? So what if people behave and interact differently than they used to if doing so makes people happier than the old way?

Good question. Should they produce low effort drivel for mouth breathers like yourself or try to appeal to people who actually care and have standards.
I think that their actions cover that one, mate.
However we're primarily talking about getting good translations. It was your weasel wording that tried to pretend that buying bad localisations would help the situation. Don't get things twisted man. You're fucking your own arguments up now.

just here to post this pic I made lol. Fire Emblem is for weebs

Attached: bernie meme.png (735x732, 228K)

EOPs will never, ever understand this image.

Attached: o0480079414190247621.png (480x794, 159K)

your making assumptions based on what "could" happen, not about the question itself, what your doing is making up your mind about something like an Sock and going "you know what, i hate this sock, it needs to be changed"

which while that might or might not be true, it honestly tells me all i need to know that i am talking to someone who doesn't think a single step ahead of themselves, therefore further conversation is pointless, have a nice day.

they're going to tell you that any game with writing akin to wicked, sick, tight & badass are garbage.
and while they're right, they're also retarded.

Literally the only word that caused Treehouse to sperg the fuck out is "submissive".

>and while they're right
Well now, that's all I wanted to hear.

>excuses
Oh, so Yea Forums is just magically a better board than Yea Forums, and that’s why Yea Forums never split off its generals? Heck, I’m pretty sure /m/ and /jp/ were split because they felt persecuted by the overflow of shonen rather than the other way around like on Yea Forums and Yea Forums.

You're the guy who actually needs translations, so I think it's pretty obvious who the mouth breather is here.

Localisation companies are never going to pander to you. It makes zero business sense, these are not masterful works of art, they're cheap entertainment for teens. Even if think you have "standards", you obviously don't. I mean, you're still reading translations in 2019, so obviously you don't have any standards. All you can do is bitch and moan about something that will never change because it has no possible impetus to do so.

glad i could whisper those sweet nothings to you, based retard

>boards splits occur
>doesn't lose it's purpose or backbone and become a wasteland of shitposters unlike Yea Forums
Yeah you're right again

That's how some people talk though. It's why Yea Forums loves fucking Dante and Tony Hawk games

nice

>The original English version was just Treehouse fanfiction to begin with
No. The old translation essentially conveys the meaning in a way that things for people who aren't familiar with Japan's Yamato Nadeshiko stereotype and old standards for feudal Japan "wife material".

The new translation isn't just awkward, it doesn't make sense. I blatantly feels like someone threw half of the sentence away for no reason.

>Localisation companies are never going to pander to you
I'm not asking them to. I'm saying they're shit. By the very virtue of being "localisation" companies I would never like them.
My influence on the market is not what's in question here. It's the quality of their product and what the optimal solution is for people who don't speak nip and guess what? I'm right. Which is why you're pivoting onto retarded shit like the influence of myself and my demo on business decisions, loser.

>It's the quality of their product and what the optimal solution is for people who don't speak nip
What? The optimal solution is for you to just learn nip as an individual. Expecting a company to spend more money for no reason on a product you'll still get upset about is just idiocy.

a) providing a sub is less money than a dub
b) it's not about what the company provides it's about what the player would be better off with
c) yes learning nip is optimal, however if that cannot be done an ACCURATE translation is better than a localisation and leagues better than a dub.
In accordance with the above I think we can all agree that dubs and localisations are sub-par trash for any individual who can't speak japanese.

So you say, when the person who kickstarted the original controversy is, to this day, a cancerous compulsive liar who produces absolutely nothing of value and just lives off of patreongibs and drama. Also, unlike Gamergate, she has a bodycount.

And is still rabidly defended by journalists despite that.

yeah I bet your "friends" suck your dick for good press too lmao

You've yet to address why foreign literature is localized and not translated

>tfw your friends don't suck your dick for favours
Life is tough

Because it's more approachable for retards who aren't invested in the media further it lets them change things to garner attention and favour in new demographics.
Because the lowest common denominator is okay with it and they're the whales of society.

FMA, Bebop, the usual answers people tell you.

>I think we can all agree that dubs and localisations are sub-par trash
Your "accurate translation" pipe dream is sub-par trash too, though.

The first MGS is probably the best translation of a game I've seen, and it's filled with "inaccuracies". Localisation, the boogeyman you blame for all the ills of translation, is both completely necessary to create dialogue that doesn't read like hot garbage, and widely preferable to confusing your audience with references that just come across as gibberish.

You've created some bizarre separation in your mind where "localisation" is "anything changed I don't like" and "translation" is "anything changed I do like".

>Your "accurate translation" pipe dream is sub-par trash too, though.
But it's STILL better than the alternative despite not being better than learning japanese

>Another Blausteinfag who takes everything he says at face value.
All he did was add a few one-liners here and there. His translation was good, but nothing special.

>LCD
>Reading Russian, French and Japanese literature
The fuck are you talking about. Nabokov and Soseki don't get translated because theyre LCD works

I just gave you an example where it wasn't, though. Go compare the script of MGS to the more "faithful" Twin Snakes.

I don't take anything that retard says at face value. SotN was a butchery, but I've played MGS multiple times in both languages.

Mfw i still havent bought this Shit

Attached: 1460522442381.gif (100x100, 45K)

I'm a translator

Both are bad translations. One adds some bullshit, the other loses the severity of the original.

I fucking hate my colleagues

I hope you reform things from the inside so I stop hating your colleagues too, user

The reason the original works better is because you need the submissive and quiet parts to be clear. The way it was changed sounds like her dad was into some fetish shit

remember when fire emblem was praised for its gameplay and difficulty

lmao nowadays it's tranny shit like this instead, borderline saturday night celebrity scandal wannabes, the absolute state of videogaming, people shit on "boomers" like me but holy fuck is it pathetic to see people shit fling this much for a bunch of fucking WORDS in a text box

>Anime studios deserve to stay poor so I can retain my secret club

Oh haha right you probably don't even pay for the anime you watch. Your opinion is irrelevant and I look forward to thinking about you suffering helplessly as the paying customers change the industry to suit their tastes. It will give me great pleasure

That went zero to /pol/ real fast.

Localizing Fire Emblem in the west was a mistake.

>studios make any money from western shit
>studios NEED western money to sustain themselves
Kill. Yourself. Please.

Yes, all it did was save the series from obscurity. Instead of games with translations you don't like, there would literally be nothing

The recent games are crap compared to the earlier ones anyway.

Yes as a matter of fact they do. Their local audience has been shrinking, the Japanese economy has been stagnant for nearly 30 years. This industry will completely die without expanding beyond Japan. Wake the fuck up weeb

He'll just say "the new games are shit anyway".

post a source for literally any of this

Oh well, since they're not up to your standards, I guess they should just cancel fire emblem as a whole. Or you could just move on to something else. From your vantage, it's effectively the same

>I don't care about artistic integrity
Typical Amerilard mentality.

Low IQ bimbos jacking off to their useless degrees.

If you don't know what the lost decade is, or the fact that they've considered renaming it the lost 20 years I don't know what to tell you. The only reason they haven't made it thirty yet is they're not ready to call abenomics a failure yet despite the GDP contracting under it. Meanwhile, Japan's negative population growth is also well known, so I sincerely hope you're not asking for a source on that.

>*sniff* *sniff* *wag* *wag*
very compelling stuff

How fucked up in the head do you have to be to extrapolate that her father was fucking her from this?

Modern technology scares me. Like imagine if you buy a book and then the publisher decides they don't like a line so they break into your house and cut it out with scissors.

how does it feel being retarded