Why is FromSoftware the only Japanese dev able to do non-cringey English voice acting?

Attached: DC0EA157-2B7E-4368-B7F5-8B4CE922B57C.png (831x323, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VkvdpZmIGtw
youtube.com/watch?v=cCN2w19pjw4&ab_channel=MrSsDeath21
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's also worth noting that the old English feel of From's writing can be at part attributed to the excellent translation team at Frognation.

Look at the credits for the games. They don't have credited writers, only designers/programmers/planners/directors. The English scripts are outsourced to other companies (like Frognation).

Look at the Dark Souls Credits:

(English) Script Writing
>Ryan Morris (Frognation Ltd)
>Lynn Robson (Frognation Ltd)
>Kengo Watanabe (Frognation Ltd)
>Ema Kodaka (Frognation Ltd)

No one else (not even miyazaki) is credited with writing the game script, and Frognation is an outsourced company.

DS2 credits:
Script Writer
>Toshifumi Nabeshima

(English) Script writing:
>Ryan Morris (Frognation Ltd)
>Lynn Robson (Frognation Ltd)
>Kengo Watanabe (Frognation Ltd)
>Ian Milton-Polley(Frognation Ltd)
>Ema Kodaka (Frognation Ltd)

they outsource it to competent people

See Also it's recorded natively in English (usually) by English actors.

The one time it wasn't was sekiro. Que MMYY NAAMMMEEEE ISSS

Trick is to not hire the same dozen VAs like western devs seem to do all the fucking time.

They hire theatre actors for voices rather than overpriced and undertalented career vidya voice actors

educated high quality

to be fair that's because there's barely any real STORY in souls games. incidental dialogs and fluff pieces you put together are not the same as having a classically structured story to tell.

because in the Souls games the English voices are the original voices.
FromSoft doesn't outsource to some trash America localization company who'll shit it out with their go to roster of anime dub actors.
Sekiro's english voicing and translation was handled by Activision for example and it was way worse, unsurprisingly.

Attached: 1528947949668.png (698x515, 209K)

Hey! They work hard to get those roles on the casting couch damn it.

The English dub for Sekiro is pretty bad compared to the Japanese voice acting.

To be fair all the souls games and bloodborne were heavily influenced by European history and mythology so it makes sense to have western script writers handle the writing of a heavily western-influenced setting. Sekiro's default voice acting is Japanese because, well, the setting is Japan.

>OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH

Yeah, because that game wasn't even supposed to have an English dub originally.
Activision is responsible for that.

>the excellent translation team at Frognation

The one that made all those nonsensical mistranslations in 2 and even mixes up katakana symbols?

>excellent translation team
Not sure what are you talking about, DaSII and III had poor translations. Don't know about the first one

They record it in the UK, not the US.

It shows. Instead of getting a bunch of actors with a theater background like in previous Fromsoft games, Activision got youtube/twitter personalities for some minor characters in addition to the regular vidya VA's.

>MY NAME... IS GYOUBU MASATAKA ONIWA!

The only good line in the English dub just because the actor hammed it up.

VA only sucks in burgerland

they don't allow americans to have a hand in it, and it's originally recorded in English with actual directing instead of some fucking anime dubbers reading their script aloud over the phone

Pretty bad? It should be fucking outlawed.

Horrible delivery, but it was apparently customary for samurai to yell out their name as a challenge.

>non-cringey English voice acting
youtu.be/VkvdpZmIGtw
You have got to either be deaf or retarded to think this is good voice acting

Most of Sekiro's VA was pretty flat, but Gyobu was fucking great. Isshin was great too.
HOW MY BLOOD BOILS

That's pure kino that you just posted bro

Who even plays Sekiro in English?

Good VAs in English include (and you can fight me on this shit if you don’t agree)

>Patrick Seitz
>Ian Sinclair
>Matt Mercer
>Charlie Schlatter, exclusively for his performance as Wonder Red
>Roger Craig Smith
>Johnny Young Bosch
>Josh Keaton
>Robert Atkins Downes
>Nathan Vetterlein
>Yuri Lowenthal
>Liam O’brien
>Helena Taylor

If you don't think that's fantastic VA work you're legitimately tasteless, user.

Just wanted to say Jap Genichiros voice is pure sex. Kenjiro Tsuda is also voicing Sam in the Jap dub of Death Stranding.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 122K)

It's like those VAs can only read from script and are unable to put some emotions in them, worst offenders being Wolf and Kuro. Even ones that are supposed to be emotional like Orin just feel really flat and generic.

Sekiro's dialogue felt really off compared to the prior Souls games and now I'm glad to see it wasn't just me.

youtube.com/watch?v=cCN2w19pjw4&ab_channel=MrSsDeath21

This always gives me chills.

Jap voices is the intended experience. I think it even says so when first launching the game.

And Gehrman does one too in Bloodborne in the middle of his boss fight. It's great.

So if Elden Ring is going to be Norse mythology, will a Scandinavian language be the "preferred" dub?

Attached: k.png (463x431, 326K)

>Be decrepit mutant horseman for god knows how long
>Get smashed up by some nerd with a wheel
>Collapse from immense damage
>HMMMMMM??? AAHHHHH, YOU were at my side ALL ALOOOONGGG... my true MENTOR!!! My guiding moonlight! MHMHMHMHHMHM!!
>good voice acting
ok

icelandic is the best bet then, swedish, norwegian, danish and finnish have all deviated from the original nordic language

It's just going to be ye olde English.

NMH and DMC say hi

Funny how most of them are males. Says a lot about the female "talent" in the industry

Should I play 4 before 4A? Should I play VD at all?

>the regular vidya VA's
You mean anime dubbers.