How is your game going anons?

How is your game going anons?

Attached: godot.png (1280x518, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/kmJ5Tnavs2w
copyright.universityofcalifornia.edu/ownership/joint-works.html
thewebsiteisdown.com/twidblog/puzzle-dependency-graph-primer/
reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/cv4t0k/steam_follower_count_analysis_september_26_median/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Right now I am 15 levels in. I thought I was only going to do one level per day but I end up doing more on days I have more free time.
I should be done some time next month. Then I will have to market and figure out how to make a mobile version.

I'm trying think of what project I shouod go with.

At the moment, i have an idea but i need to figure out how to syncronize many, many objects between players. I'm talking about tens of thousanss of objects all moving and interacting as part of a physics engine synchronization...

I give up

Attached: Crow.jpg (615x410, 32K)

We released the teaser last night
youtu.be/kmJ5Tnavs2w

Attached: christian_bale_american_psycho_patrick_bateman_axe_10989289_RE_PwnzElite_has_declared_war_on_Grammar (600x450, 46K)

What do you do with problematic teammates? The guys with big egos who will halt progress until they gets things their way despite going against everyone else's wishes or spirit of the project.
Everyone complains about this person in private chats, but nothing is done in the group setting. I want this fucker out.

Attached: 1565643108603.jpg (720x533, 26K)

That shit looks pretty sweet. Like Mr. Bones' Gotta Go Fast Swinging Adventure.

Working through the first game tutorial.

Amazing engine so far. Missing a lot of features that the big boy engines have, but ease of programming makes up for it.

Oh shit, I was just about to say "I've been digging this game from your earlier posts, congrats on getting picked up by Headcannon"
That would have been silly.
This game continue to look quite nice, keep it up. Umihara Kawase hooks + Sonic ramps is such a neat idea

>I was only going to do one level per day but I end up doing more on days
That was my plan 1 month ago and I am at level 17. Making puzzle games is a puzzle in itself.

drive them to suicide. deplatform and depersonalize them

Thanks senpaitachi. We've come a long way.
If Sonic Mania gets a sequel, this game is going to get canceled again, I'm sure of it.

Attached: 1553675217505.webm (640x360, 2.82M)

Best of luck user

Then kick him out or just continue working without him. We did that in college to one guy who told us going to his music festivals and chilling out on our summer vacation time was more important than the big group project we had to hand over at the start of the next semester and we should respect his time and shall not work on his part of the project. He was not even willing to meet up for 10 minutes on Skype. In the last 3 days of the vacation time he called in and complained that we all worked our asses off and did all the work without him. We have called him several times over the course of 2 months without getting an answer. since we used a subversion server, we just handed over the log files to the school and told them he did nothing. He even tried to blame us and failed the course. So fuck ego niggas who feel to good for the work or always want it their way.

I'm at the "drawing stuff in my notebook" phase of the planning and whatnot. I've got Unity and a bunch of pirated tutorials. Wish me luck.

looks good

Still grinding away

Attached: michaelbay.webm (964x588, 2.86M)

Is the racoon naked? I see a censor bar.

Got a lot of the foundation done. Now it is time to implement the network portion for co-op.

good stuff bros

What kind of game? Unity is pretty shit for anything that isn't a 3D platformer.

It's generally the best for 2d, imo. Unless you're making a weird game or you're especially skilled as a programmer

That furgame looks pretty cool, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out

I'm gonna try to do my own Rogue System since the dev got himself scalped by indians or something. Nobody seems to be terribly interested in DCS: SPACE EDITION so I figured I'd do it myself since I have the time and the expertise (shitty programmer). I'm just absorbing every lesson/tutorial about 3D modeling and whatnot for now though.

If this remind project I would have deftly kicked his ass out a long time ago. The project lead doesn't want to ruffle any feathers or can't handle confrontation or something. This fucking prima donna takes an issue with everything and will hold the chat hostage posting how he wants it to be done. I ignore his retarded requests but the other members get into long winded arguments with him. Nigga never post his own progress either, and when asked "he's working on it".
I should just threaten to quit the project. It's not like they have anyone else to replace me, but I don't want to get cucked out of my work either.

Attached: 90f.png (326x643, 248K)

Is Godot a good engine for beginners? I'd like to try my hand at a small project.

Good enough for game jams and prototypes. It's very barebones. It's gonna be a full fledged engine in the next five years if they keep developing it.

Yes

I can’t stop scopecreeping myself and adding a bunch of half baked systems. I haven’t even done the core gameplay beyond walking around a map.

Slowly getting myself unstuck in the whole "background boss" thing.
Need quite a bit of math, and its a very good thing that i only have to run one of those at time, or the math probably would fuck the Z80.

Attached: shittiest amiga ball.jpg (1600x870, 414K)

Is it wrong to work in full ownership rights of characters and and scenarios you designed into your contract? I've essentially built the entire world, designed the characters myself and did all the animation work for them. I fear that the project might not see completion, and if that is the case, I'd like to revisit the world I created in other forms like a comic or some shit. I just wouldn't want to get cucked in the future because I initially didn't fight for those rights.

Attached: Goddess.jpg (290x273, 23K)

I think you might consider a joint authorship:
copyright.universityofcalifornia.edu/ownership/joint-works.html
This way you don't get too aggressive on the team, but still can do stuff with it.

Much appreciated

Attached: d96.jpg (500x500, 43K)

>Is it wrong to work in full ownership rights of characters and and scenarios you designed into your contract?
You can try but who in their right mind would accept such a deal?
>I just wouldn't want to get cucked in the future because I initially didn't fight for those rights.
Sounds like it's too late

Why is Godot being skilled more often than the other engines now?

it's on people's radar because of 3.0 and being free

Most other engines already established themselves and don't really need shilling, godot is new and promising.

There is now a free engine for making 2D games as good as unity does or better. It still needs to catch up with 3D. Also the interface is easy to use and GDscript is simple enough (even easier if you already know python because they're almost exactly alike)

How does GDscript compare to real languages?

It's basically python, user. I said that.

Show me one game made in Godot that is worth playing.

river city girls

Normally I don't think about this but the guy I'm working with now liked my pitches and wants to do a game about it. However, this guy is really pushing me to sign these contracts for the work I'm going to do for the project. Contract hasn't been finalized yet so there's still time. I just don't want to get fucked later is all. The joint authorship the other user recommended seems like a fair compromise.

Attached: 3e9.png (500x533, 531K)

You missed the part where he said "worth playing"

don't be like that, just postpone the launch to later date and it will do even better. people who already finished sonic mania and loved it will yearn for more and may as well give your game a go. think of it as indirect pr.

>made some shitty code for player movement and camera controls
>even got a working flashlight hell yea
>managed to learn a lot about textures
>making a small dev level that looks like Wolfenstein
>fucked up code somehow somewhere
>player character immediately shoots upwards when you press play

I have to start over again.

Attached: IMG_20170822_105825.jpg (453x388, 21K)

Just a joke my friend. I'm sure it won't happen again.

Attached: 1554267108069m.jpg (341x1024, 49K)

It's time to solve the puzzle user.

I don't see how Sonic Mania and your game compete at all.
Your biggest competition is against the flood in general, on how to make people even notice what you did in the sea of 2D stuffs.
But you got a quite different gameplay going for you, and if you just don't try to do exact the same gay videos everyone else do, you might succeed.

Breakpoints are your best friend.
They allow you to read what the fuck is wrong with your variables.

I wish but all I did was add a ceiling and suddenly I rocket towards the sky.

Breakpoints?

i am not joking, i meant it. i am genuinely thinking it will help you. If you had a food you could experience only one and it tasted good, would you not go after it's imitation that may be even better?

Stealth is the main programmer. The first version of the game was cancelled back when he was brought on board for Sonic Mania.

Attached: 1566923968824.jpg (900x1038, 255K)

instead of the swish sound on hit, doo bamboo chime like when you hit skeleton in minecraft.

Yes snake, by clicking on the space of the code editor on the left of the line numbers, you can set a point where the godot engine will pause when it is about to execute that line and let you read all the variables at that instant!

Attached: otaconr.jpg (90x148, 5K)

>godot
I'm using Unity

Well, in this case snake, you can do the exact same shit if you're using an integrated IDE with the project!

Attached: otacon.jpg (1280x720, 58K)

Thanks.

Attached: ThortheMighty.jpg (479x479, 30K)

Finally done with the GUI, is working perfectly, and I'm happy with the results.
I'm close to finish the game and only 10 people know about it, all of them are family/friends with zero social media footprint.

Attached: 1549495325223.gif (160x160, 178K)

email Vinesauce and offer a free copy of the game in exchange for streaming it. Tell him you're a small dev, he should be happy to do it.

>helping people in the form of codec conversations
I fucking love this

Based as fuck

My what?

FREEZE! Put your fat code where I can see em!

Attached: community_image_1407621339.jpg (512x800, 254K)

Literally the only way to fail is to give up. You can do it, you just have to decide to do it.

I want to get on Mr. Bones Wild Ride. The music gives me strong early sonic vibes.

I imagine he gets flooded with those.

What are the best marketing techniques for a lone dev warrior such as myself? Post progress on twitter? Shitpost in game dev forums? I want to get the word out but I don't want to seem like I'm just bluntly shilling my game.

Attached: 1555902553067.gif (228x170, 1.86M)

Love the music. What soundfont was used?

I'm aware. I'm just poking fun at how last time Sonic Mania put the game on what seemed like an indefinite hold until Stealth had interest in starting it up again. If it happens again, I'm sure it'll just be on hold as there is significant progress now.
The game obviously has Sonic inspirations, but my heart and goal is to capture the Umihara audience.
Don't know. Soundtrack is being composed by Michael Staple aka MaxieDaMan. I can ask him but I probably won't get a response until the thread dies.

This will be my first game, I'm planning on making a Twitter account, and just "tweet" with the genre and gamedev every friday, I'm not expecting money on this project.

Attached: tutorial layer object.webm (500x454, 2.7M)

Are you influenced by Umihawa Kawase?

100%

Attached: 1550762772237.jpg (800x800, 226K)

Downloaded LMMS and now I'm gonna try and into music.

Same. I just want people to play my game.

Attached: I+really+dont+see+why+everyone+dislikes+todd+howard+so+_d19bcb64a62df4c277dd25cd3e9b4f15.jpg (1500x1714, 563K)

Looks like the grapple thing from Tomba 2.

>using an engine for retards

Attached: file.png (407x416, 9K)

How is your marketing campaign going Godot guy? Also how do I spell your engine's name? Like Go-do or like robot with a G?

Attached: areyouawizzard[1].jpg (1252x704, 104K)

Not really.
But when i fix the copy math, will probably get closer to it.

Attached: clpasufrpllr.jpg (664x594, 73K)

>threads about a free game engine is shilling

that one was in godot?

But user, you don't find any game worth playing, you have no say on that matter.

Attached: 1307428195788.jpg (800x600, 55K)

Unity

what do you use user

>brain full of ideas of my ideal vision of a game
>0 programming skills
>0 motivation, most likely depressed
>my ideas may be full of shit and i wouldn't even know

Attached: 1371563524020.jpg (331x329, 16K)

starting to grasp OpenGL. It's not easy moving from DirectX to a whole new API

Are you retarded yourself?

I cannot believe how much work it is
I can do anything but not everything

just started my first game in unity

Attached: huu.webm (1920x1080, 2.63M)

Paper prototype

Ideas are worthless, the execution is the important part

So do you guys start out making games to "practice" or do you start just making something you want. I don't have the skill to make the game I want to but idk if I should work on something else or just suffer through figuring out everything without having any real results

What should I use if I wanted to make something like those old text adventures games where you had to type or choose an option to advance the story

A)
You have to level up your "do the fuck i want code" skills first.

Not going on Godot, thats for sure.

i even did that, actually started early 2018. i have lots and lots of mechanics and gameplay elements on paper but i need to be the architect to put them all together
yeah that is the problem, it all makes sense in my head but i can't ever verify that

>cris is evolving

Attached: 1554903983636.jpg (600x678, 42K)

I went the 'just making something I want' route. I did that for a year before I realized the game I was making just wasn't very fun. Now, I'm making another game that really interests me and development is going a lot faster thanks to the skills I had developed over that year (I'm also going to salvage a lot of the code from my previous game). Still have to finish learning how to 3d model and animate.

If you don't know programming you can always just start with Unreal's blueprints. Protoyping is very fast and simple. Of course, useless if you don't have the motivation, get your shit together user.

Not to beat on a dead horse but they probably are but that's alright, we all start there. Many years ago I used to think I was hot shit but once I started making games I realized how garbage my ideas actually were. My inspiration and creativity has only been getting better overtime as I keep working more and more on games.

Currently still working on my monster girl hentai rpg, have to finish drawing the snail and snake bitches, as well as add collectibles, dungeons, skills, quests, etc...

its an FM synth, could be a ym2612 emulator or something else entirely

Paper prototype doesn't mean a document on paper, it means a playable game using physical means.

gave up on it
too many sprite animations to make

I made a clone of my favorite games and then I deviated by changing a core mechanic or adding another one with some synergy to the current base moveset. Made a bunch of fun little variants, but unfortunately all of them lacked polish.

Don't give up

here's my next failboat: it's too complex for that

No you're just too lazy to attempt it

well you know what they say, if it's free you're the product

Why? I'm sure you can simplify the process to something more manageable

Was getting 50 wishlists a day from the 'More like this section' on Steam. New algorithm yesterday fucked us.

It hasn't been going for a while. I was making an NES adventure game, but then my actual programming job picked up and started burning me out.

Explain

Are you me?

I want to make a 3D game but I have very little coding experience, I was thinking of using Unity but I'm not sure what the best way to start out is, I can do a little 3D modeling but I don't want to get heavily into that until I know I can actually make a game first.

I can program and do art but I don't have any ideas

Getting towards the end of Alphaman. Don't know when I'll be ready for release, but how much would you pay for a megaman-like with 4 bot master stages and 3 wily levels + final boss?

Attached: Alphaman_BossGauntlet.png (1080x810, 55K)

Game page was up on Steam and we had posted it with tags that matched our market. 4-player, casual, couch co-op, etc. We were in the 'More like this' section for big games with these tags.

Steam changed the algorithm yesterday so it would recommend popular games instead of games in the same genre. They said they were doing the opposite but that's not the effect it's had on us. Where our game was is now a slot taken by Portal 2 and Castle Crashers :/

Unless it's open source with a license of complete freedom you retard

Did you fix all the problems I listed or did you straight up ignore them?

>Couch co-op
Trash

You're going to have to remind me of what they are. I've fixed a lot of suggestions from a lot of anons.

> All games in a genre are the same level of quality.
Smart user

Can't seem to figure why the fuck is the ai chasing me when it should be lobotomized while the ragdoll is in effect.

Attached: ive_fallen_and_i_cant_get_up.webm (1388x806, 2.86M)

Post code

Just destoy the acctual actor and spawn a ragdoll mesh. I think in blueprints you spawn the ragdoll first and then destroy actor.

We just don't know.

Attached: bts2.jpg (949x755, 361K)

That's just going to be a fucking mess, i've already used the physics simulation on mesh separately and then it's a whole ordeal to joing the mesh back to the main actor, i shudder to think what kind of trickery it's going to take to re-spawn an actor every time it ragdolls, which is going to happen very often.

Hold up. what are you on about? Whats this about respawning actors? Its atmost like 2 nodes in your "On Killed" event ?

Enemie can be raagdolled and then get up, not only when they die, but during the gameplay.

Sorry I don't know how to read this. Maybe someone else can help. But shouldn't the AttackToken bool be connected to something ?

Ok i misunderstood you, i thought u where killing the gremin thing, you just want it to ragdoll? There are ways to pause the ai. Just make a new state in your blackboard. Have it trigger when some event triggers and just have it delay for the duration.

you can make 2d animated sprites from 3d models in no time

Attached: hur.gif (1000x1000, 181K)

Hence why i posted a screenshot of the BT. The AI is paused and i stuck waiting until the enemy state changes to normal.

I think i've found the problem, the rigidbody is taking over and the statemachine is not updating and is stuck in the walking state, that's why the body is rolling towards the player, it seems.

Attached: Bloop2.jpg (772x381, 127K)

Good job user. Rubber ducking truly works

then I'm stuck trying to find appropriate 3d models

t-thanks

Attached: he_comes.webm (464x454, 407K)

I started blocking out the level for my wow inspired game.

Attached: 190913_Screenshot_blockout_1.jpg (1012x538, 256K)

Sorry user. Post more of the behaviour tree.

>That movement
Good shit bro, 10 / 10 would buy.

Could the LookAt still be pointing towards the player and causing this ?

I am glad I found this thread, I just opened Yea Forums for the day and it immediately inspired to keep working on my code.

You are an alright bunch.

I think I did something wrong to my GPU.

Attached: mood.png (794x596, 81K)

Ship it and call it a creative choice

what is the best 2d game engine? and why game maker studio in particular?

The most popular is always the best for beginners because it has the most tutorials and stack overflow answers.

Skeleton Boomerang 2??

check your GPU temp, m8

The clip down works, now the clip up...
Also i will obviously have to deal with stuff like adding more hblank layers.

Attached: bigbosshard.webm (320x240, 106K)

Unity have been pushing exactly this with their Entity Component System. I found it difficult to adjust to this way of programming but there's a lot more info about it now that Unity adopted it.

Retexture that, make that break intentional, and you got yourself a new monster type.
Thanks m8
No, but I did want to do a cross over boss fight with him. Unfortunately his game shipped out sooner. I'm looking at Rune Fencer Illyia now

>havent started coding yet
>still working on the models
hope i can get this shit out by the end of the month

Nice pixelart side-scroller. Not my genre but definitely appreciate the effort.

Appreciate it. I don't know if anyone from the old game dev threads are still around to remember how it use to look.

Attached: SpookyCatle.gif (512x320, 26K)

Is Godot any good for codelets? I know enough C# to program in unity but I'm terrible at optimizing.

Don't worry about optimizing. Hollow Knight was made with sticks and string and no one seems to care

You pretty much can't make it go faster by optimizing script code.
You gain speed with the art and disabling graphical shit you don't want and not going overboard with physics and collision.

I'm working on a GPS RPG, had some fun with Dragon Quest Walk but I'd like more RPG mechanics

How far along is it?

Having fun with it so far. As you collect more points the game goes faster and more asteroids show up. Gets very intense very fast (I died early in this webm, screen capturing chugged my PC)

Attached: Recording #1.webm (1046x886, 2.84M)

How does one make Turn Based combat fun?

copy into the breach

Tactics and positioning.

It's hard to say, I implemented a parser of the relevant OSM data for a proof of concept so now I gotta figure out the key mechanics. I'll probably work on the battle system next.

I'm trying to nail the 90's Playstation look but I don't know what I should be doing for my texture workflow. How did they do it in the old days?

I was thinking of either treating my textures as relatively high-res pixel art or painting by hand at high res and downscaling to 256x256 or something.

Each encounter needs to be impactful, unique, and directly contribute to forward progression. You should never have to grind, you should never feel as though you're doing the same thing over and over. Try Dungeon Mastering a D&D session if you have friend.

any cool slavshit i can put into my game?

Ideaguys who are "working on X" are the worst. In the end, they never actually produce anything, they just try to influence everyone else to make something they way they want it.

Crouching

Dope ass music

a game like that would've been one hell of a hidden gem 25 years ago

>furry
ew

dont make it fucking boring shit but at the same time dont make ot a gookclicker.
Have multiple ways of defeating various enemies and make status effects affect everything unless they are immune to that type

How do I plan out a game? It's an open world game so it'll have a lot of interconnecting paths and structure. I also want to have certain items open up areas in previous sections. My art is shit but do I just scribble out a map or something? How do pros do it with design documents?

Attached: 1419424984418.png (256x256, 14K)

create a barebones story and block model some area, you could always base it on something

how do i make her mouth move?

Attached: creature.png (645x755, 420K)

as far as items opening up areas goes you could use something like puzzle dependency graphs as talked about in this link thewebsiteisdown.com/twidblog/puzzle-dependency-graph-primer/ it could be overkill though. I use them for my games and they are very handy for figuring out exactly how everything will work. I find if I don't write things like this down I end up plenty of bits that are just forgotten or thought of only vaguely, also it helps avoid buges.

>It's another idea guy
You're not gonna make an open world in your first try retard, especially not without a team. Lower your expectations and you might be able to make something playable on your own.

I dropped my dream of being a game designer, and ended up starting a band with some friends instead. We played a gig at a bar/music venue a month ago, and now we're a bit of a local name. We've just started getting emails asking for us to play at other venues, and we're in the final processes of mixing a 5 song EP.
If I was to make a game, something involving ants sounds like it could be fun. Maybe something like darkest dungeon where you play the mother ant and send out small squads to scavenge food, with mortality rate being exceptionally high. except yknow, without a sanity mechanic.

Attached: 1530680450214.jpg (602x493, 199K)

I agree but I'm a programmer, not an ideas guy.

la criatura

Attached: 1E37DB6F-A341-4FE2-9EC1-743F04FD7586.png (462x450, 189K)

learn what kind of planning works best for you by trying and failing

I’m doing my best. Got Steam networking working smoothly. Adding new stages, thinking about adding new weapons/movesets. I applied to demo at Magfest but won’t find out if I’ve been selected until November.

Attached: ReliableCrazyIrrawaddydolphin.webm (1920x1080, 1.03M)

I'm using Unity to make my own 2d side scroller game.

Basic stuff has been coded in such as player movement, object interaction, animations.

Been trying to work on the main menu for the last week or so. But have been partially lazy even though I'm currently a neet. Would've been quicker if I used Unity's textmeshpro rather than making my own letters but I'd rather use my own design.

Once the basics of the main menu are finished I'll either make the character selection screen or jump back to world creation or more character enhancements eg inventory. Have only one world partially complete. Art takes a while but my artistic skill has become significantly better in less than a years time.

At this point I'm struggling on what else I need to code as it seems the basics cover a lot of what other stuff would need.

My dad saw the game I'm making, get the vibe he has no issue with me being a neet as I quit my job several weeks ago. However he rarely ever plats video games as my design is no where near as visually beautiful as some games currently are.

Lol. Although that character design is ugly. Id be embarassed if my parents walked in on that.

>sparks n shit flyin everywhere
looks fucking terrible

Thx

Attached: CoarseWindyAmericanratsnake.webm (1920x1080, 2.6M)

I dig how much shit is going on. Some folks dont like it but I like super busy bright lights all over

I hope this game is easy to mod, I want a spooky Umihara Kawase skin. Also a level editor.

Tip #2302:
Sometimes less is more.
In this case literally, as i was fucking up with a register that didn't needed to be fucked up with.

Attached: scrollup.webm (320x240, 132K)

>I dropped my dream of being a game designer, and ended up starting a band with some friends instead.
How brave of you. Enjoy your increased popularity and social standing, you took the easy road and will never achieve something truly Great.

Attached: 1562897709808.png (744x824, 31K)

I hope every creator in this thread achieves their dreams. You're all gonna make it bros.

I'll never make it.

Attached: 1417957325721.jpg (850x850, 264K)

Not with that attitude, fren

I tell ya man, it's doing/seeing stuff like this that makes one appreciate the hell out of the modern tools available. I always like seeing your MSX muckery in these threads.

If you try you will, user. Believe in yourself.

My dream is to die in my sleep

Well, i am cheating a lot with modern tools, such as the level editor being a modern C++ program and an emulator with memory watch and breakpoints etc..
It's the equivalent of having a pretty expensive development kit back then with an ICE debugger.

Only 10% of all indie games, let alone games in general, ever succeed critically or financially. People like Toby Fox are a once in a blue moon anomaly when it comes to any sort of success, especially video games.

Depends on what you consider a financial success.
20k dollars in the hand of a large company is a complete failure, but on the hand of a one code man its quite a bit.

20k dollars wouldn't even cover cost of living for one person in a first world country.

Yeah, I spend that much in one month. I need to make a much higher amount according to your arbitrary standards before I'm successful.

Something I've discovered after working on games for decades and not releasing anything is that I'm not doing this for some kind of reward. I make games because I have a mental illness compelling me to work a full time job and then continue to toil away coding when I get home. To make games is to be a god and create anything you can imagine.

you gotta consider stuff like this post

reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/cv4t0k/steam_follower_count_analysis_september_26_median/
75% of what's dumped on steam is absolute trash. It eschews the statistics.

Consider spending less.

(Crosspost from /AGDG/)

I have started to put some of the more complex UV-calculations and camera functionality over on the Job System.

Also added a few more objects to the scene. I might tweak the car at some point and make a playable demo.

Attached: 789-testdrive.webm (1120x480, 2.91M)

Very cool user.

Steam api is a shit as always and decided to lock my dlc to a 6 hour early window before the actual content is unlocked. Basically there's a 6 hour window where if you update/auto update the game you can't play it until the update comes out.

Attached: I'M ON THE VERGE OF DYING.jpg (325x346, 14K)

Interstate 76 fan?

Finally got back to working on it after doing fuck all for 2 months. Now I'm Documenting and commenting all my code from here on it so I have a clue of what I have even made so far.

Aw, thank you.

Yes. This was intended as a spiritual sequel to Interstate '76 and '82 that I first called Interstate '94 as it is set in the 90's.

I wish I had the IP rights.

jesus christ that sub is full of concentrated autism and DRM shills.

Good luck with that.
And keep your ass anonymous as you're dealing with freaking activision here.

I hate reddit, but that case study is relevant information.

Gave up on the last engine I tried, making one from scratch (again).
There are literally not a single good rendering engine around that's not tied to a huge infrastructure with infinite suckage (UE4, unity). Everything else is superbroken in the most painful ways and too convoluted to fix.

Current status: I made the logo.
Also I got my triangle onscreen.
Next update: Sep 13, 2020.

Maybe you should not be that fucking worried with a good precision on graphics.

can you tell whoever is in charge of Headcannon's PR stuff to make an actual Steam dev page so I can hit Follow and get notified when you have a game out, I'm lazy.

Not sure what you're trying to say so I'll assume you're suggesting I shouldn't care about graphics quality.

I don't give a shit about graphics fidelity which is kinda the whole reason I am going with my own engine and none of the other engines work. I am worried about gameplay and the fact 99% of engines don't have mechanisms for compute and geometry shaders whatsoever, for example, even though I need that shit for some of the core features in my game.
Things I don't fucking need:
- Forward3D + deferred + forward2.5 + forward+ + old-style forward with 5 backends supported
- Bugs and crashes
Things I fucking need
- Compute shaders
Things anything that's not UE4 or Unity won't let me do without rewriting ridiculous chunks of the engines (I've successfully done in for 2 engines, it worked but still had several caveats related to handling cases where some shaders are present and not others, for example):
- Compute shaders
Things that I get with UE4 and Unity:
- The editor crashes every ~10 minutes for unknown reasons
- (Unity) endless amounts of bugs
- (UE4) many bugs related to the C++ API using different underlying implementations than the (now-deprecated) Kismeth stuff (partly used in the Blueprint stuff)

Know what else? UE4 doesn't have proper compute shader support. It's highly restricted on things like how you can output data from them, which makes most use cases of compute shaders not possible. For example, outputting to multiple streams simultaneously is critical for a lot of simulation-related graphics stuff.

Too busy drinking and working to dev.
I don't know how the fuck ZUN does it

Attached: 20190523_071553.png (405x452, 9K)

Not sure if you mentioned this but unreal doesn't even have compute shaders.

UE4 actually does have compute shaders, as I mentioned they're very limited though. Also they're relatively recent.

Yep, you definitively need to write your own engine.
Not entirely sure if you're doing this already, but you can download a shitton of libraries to make the non-boring parts less boring.
Image importing, GUI, handling audio/window etc.. and even physics, as bullet is actually better than whatever garbage is used on unity/UE4.

>but you can download a shitton of libraries to make the non-boring parts less boring.
Yes, this is exactly what I'm doing.
I don't know what quality I'll get out of it in the end, and I'm certainly not aiming to be "better than unity/ue4", but I sure as hell want to get MY game out, not unity/ue4's game.

I bet on "good enough to make YOUR game but nothing else".
Like the cry engine.

It's not using anything from Interstate in its current version except that you can place guns on cars.

I see.
Good luck and have fun.

TIL Cities Skylines is a 3D platformer

so comfy

But this is a Umihara Kawase ripoff, not a Sonic one

that looks very pretty

Limit FPS son, your GPU is probably doing 3000fps and overheating.

How was implementing Steam Networking?
Brainlet in networking here. I would like to look into making an online co-op game.

Give us the elevator pitch, I bet it's not

See

Gotta wait for that EGS offer first

Attached: 1568239197714.png (674x476, 356K)

I got an hour of actual scripting done but needs work to make it look natural. When I get my next check overworld sprites will be tested thinking of commissioning pokemon ranger like sprites.

Any user that can do music for JRPGs lets talk cause my old composer died on me, I will pay if reasonable

Attached: Anon.png (1270x657, 41K)

>Aw, thank you.
No problem.

>old composer died
what

>can do everything except coding
Theres math in it and thats my kryptonite.

>math is hard meme

Looks cool

Just use wolfram alpha for all your math functions and look up guides on what people use to calculate shit in game engines in terms of mechanics, movement etc. and play with the numbers.

The biggest hurdle to programming is just getting the logic down. Once you feel confident enough in making a small script/program from scratch and you can get the logic right, coding shouldn't be a problem. Hell, YandereDev and Toby Fox basically coded entirely in If statements, which is the lowest-tier form of logic you can put into code. If they can do the most basic shit, so can you.

This math has already been done before, just gotta find examples. You're not going to be innovating new shit in your indie game.

It was incredibly painful to be honest. I first used Unity's built in Network library, which is full of bugs and caused the game to perform inconsistently and crash all over the place. Eventually I moved everything to Mirror and had lots of compiler errors until I could get it set up properly. As far as writing netcode, basically every synced action needs to be changed into "Command" and "ClientRcp" (Client receipt) functions. Commands only run on the server, and client receipts run on all of the clients.

I'm glad I did this relatively early, because it took a lot of effort to make the game fun again once I converted it to online functions. If I'd waited until the very end to do this I'd have to recreate the entire game feel. Basically, if you use the server as the authority for everything, the host will have a huge advantage and the game will really suck for everyone else. Instead you should sync as little as possible (character position/velocity, important events like attacks whiffing, attacks connecting) and focus on making sure the game looks and feels "right" for each player.

zun harnesses being drunk into making 2hu lore and making music, then his sober self does the coding

Fuckin sick dude! Makes me want to try and make my own game.

novice here
Why is programming so hard, brehs?

any advice to develop that logical section of your brain?

Attached: CDB8361E-B4E1-4EE8-8D80-BCE759DC89F9.png (2208x1242, 3.79M)

Like anything, practice makes perfect. Also googling literally any question you have because someone else had already asked it before you. Just try not to copy the answer and instead implement it yourself.

As in he died online

Get a lawyer.
Seriously, this advice is pure gold. When in doubt and dealing with any kind of legal stuff just get a damn lawyer.

I'm like you. My project involves making some good money and then investing in some programmers to do the work for me.

you don't have his contact info? Or did he just stop responding to everything so you assume he is dead.

tfw most of the programming, mechanics, and levels are done but I'm still using featureless squares for all the spritework because I'm bad at art
I'll get the art done eventually but it's discouraging to spend an hour on some sprite and have it come out as shit

I can animate, draw backgrounds and basically make any kind of prop needed but i don't know anything about programing

How difficult is it to program a 2D beat em up game? i have a friend who is really good at programing he recreated all of metal slug 2 and started adding a lot of his own levels, but his current project is a mario kart clone, so i can't ask him for help

where do i even start to learn programming,

Attached: the weak should fear the strong.jpg (450x397, 40K)

It's not a problem with your brain bruh. It can just be slow going at the start. Your process as a programmer is to divide and conquer. If you find you're struggling with something, break it down into babier steps and deal with those. Practice this by taking mundane things you do every day and breaking them down as if you were trying to teach a robot. For example: How do you walk? How do you take a step? How do you raise your leg? Also study up on kinematics and vector maths. And computer science but I don't know how sciencey you even need to be anymore with engines and whatnot.

Programming is the easy part, user.

>where do i even start to learn programming,
There are a shitload of tutorials for Unity that will take you from start to finish of making some simple games, if you're open to learning that. Doing it without an engine and just doing everything in say C++ is possible(and my preference for 2D), but if you don't know any programming is going to be a lot harder. Regardless of what you do, I'd say pick a few mechanics at a time and try to make a game focusing on them. If you ultimately want to make a 2d beat em up game, try a simpler game based around a few of the things you would want to include, and figure out how to build that first. If, for example, your short term goal is now to make a small side scroller with 3 different enemy types, by the time you're done you'll now know(or at least have some idea) of how to move a character in 2d space, how to reason about enemy characters, how to have different types of enemies, and how to have these different actors interact. If this sounds like too much, go even simpler. Just remake Pong. You'll still learn things you can use going forward(Having two different actors, keeping score, basic collision, winning/losing). You can build on this knowledge going forward. Learning programming is a fairly iterative process.

Start with babby shit like RPG maker and git gud at google when you want to figure out how do implement the part you’re thinking of. It’s not a “real language” but it’s a good way to learn concepts

I found Construct 2 to be pretty easy to get into and learn concepts.