Why don't Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft understand d-pads?

Why don't Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft understand d-pads?

Attached: 61pVi84c rL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (1500x1003, 92K)

d-pads aren't as necessary to be great anymore like they once were. As long as they do the bare minimum. Usually they are just seen as menu scroller buttons now.

play real video games faggot

dpads are awful except in games with 4 ways to move

They've all had decent d-pads but they never use their optimal designs consitantly.
I was so dissapointed when the PS4 went back to the mushy segmented piece of shit after getting it right for the first time with the Vita, but Microsoft are in a good enough place with the Xbone and the Switch is on the right track with the Lite from the looks of it after the technical issues the Switch pro had/has.

Not every game is a 2D platformer, you dumb fuck.

Good question. Why was the saturn dpad so fucking good

>dpads are only good for 2d games

I'm not saying it to shit on d-pads. The problem is that most console games have no need for d-pads to be amazing.

xbone controller has a fantastic dpad

>
>Why do not Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft understand d-pads?

Nice English fag. I bet you prefer OUYA, too.

Attached: 1561181855324.png (464x678, 409K)

The Genesis/Saturn pad perfected. Love this design.

Only giga-autists give a fuck about fighting games.

But Sony does understand d-pads.

Attached: ps_vita_d-pad1.png (350x180, 65K)

Only real consoles need apply.

The Vita hardware was good but it has literally no exclusives worth buying it for.

Is 8bitdo's genesis controller better than retrobits? I've heard the latter has weak components that break.

because it does cardinals really well while also being able to roll like an analog stick.

>I've heard the latter has weak components that break.
is this true? i was literally about to order the MD and saturn pads

Yeah, there's multiple reports of the dpad stock just breaking in half. I highly recommend the 8bitdo version. I don't care if it isn't the exact same shape, the parts and feel are higher quality.

Retrobit apparently fixed this in later production batches but I'd stay skeptical. I do love the clear Saturn pad but not if it's cheap plastic.

Attached: b48J0Sd.jpg (3024x4032, 937K)

I've broke 2 dpads on DS4s with them becoming mushy

They did.

The original DS has the best D-Pad that was ever created, and the DS Lite's was 9/10 as well.

The Vita's is right up there with the phat DS's, the only problem being that the analogue stick is a little close to it.

So Nintendo and Sony DID understand them at one point, but forgot about it.

Microsoft keeps shoving it's head up it's ass though and pulling out the D-Pad's it finds there.

Literally have always liked Sony and Nintendo (sans the Switch Pro Controller) d-pads.

Vita's is the best Sony one, and SNES is the best Nintendo one.

Bow down bitches

Attached: sega-saturn-controller-coming-to-ps2-20050505020225759-000[1].jpg (440x550, 51K)

the DS Lite was waaaaaay too mushy.

DS Lite had diagonals that were way too hard to hit compared to DS Phat/DSi. My thumb hated it.

Yes/No. It was perfect, and still is if you have one that hasn't had years of use. It's only after tons of use that it becomes mushy.

Haven’t had any issues whatsoever thus far with their genesis controller.
I haven’t been particularly rough with it either though, so I’m not sure how easy it really is for the d-pad to break.

what gets me with the switch pro controller is that if I use it on pc, the sticks have no dead zone at all and I can't configure one, resulting in it drifting all over the fucking place.

Nintendo invented the dpad.

honestly, Dualshock 4's dpad is fine

Besides ports of old games, most games utilize the analog stick as the primary direction input.
D-pads now are mostly relegated to auxiliary inputs that aren't as frequently pressed on the face buttons.

Attached: 1507036794870.jpg (225x225, 7K)

>Only giga-autists give a fuck about fighting games.

>3DS had a god tier dpad
>games barely use it, the shitty circle pad is used instead
>its position is all kinds of retarded
It's like they got it right and completely wrong at the same time.

what's your favourite genre?

The Xbone controller has a good d-pad though and the Vita's was the best since the Saturn.

Action

how about shut up and buy a third party for Dpad dumb smelly

He said, while posting a controller with a dpad that can't match up to most of Nintendo's