The most underrated PC game

The most underrated PC game.

Attached: 220px-Black_&_White_Coverart.png (220x310, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bpC2TXhJGkE
oldpcgaming.net/black-and-white-review/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it was p highly rated, just forgotten

I loved it but was dissapointed by the lack of/revisiting of Worlds. the creature aspect was fun and the PvP was a clusterfuck (a fun one)

It was overrated if anything, with massive review scores and hype. Sadly it was linear as fuck, the AI was often sketchy and it needed many patches and fixes.

Game was extremely fun to just fool around in.

>being petty with your friend and lobbing rocks at his villages from across the map

It's the best pet simulator.

>game is all about raising your creature
>map 3 just takes it away and you have to abuse shit to beat the map

That was my first encounter with overhype. I remember mags detailing all the amazing stuff you could do, yet the release was pretty barebones in comparison. Still a fun game. Also taught me basic modding as I discovered how to change village cultures on maps by the config files

Game is a god game first and foremost.

Do you not enjoy precision fireballs?

For me its the tortoise.

Attached: Tortoise.jpg (800x600, 81K)

I had to extend my village all the way there to win that map.

good lionhead game but for me it was the movies. i wish someone would some sort of spiritual successor to it.

>Get moving you stupid idiots!

Attached: Simcopter.jpg (392x453, 52K)

"Sheep have many uses"

Never gave this line a second thought and years later, one day out of the blue, the penny dropped.

I loved all the weird shit in that game, like using the "greet" megaphone command over and over would get people launching themselves at your helicopter, the fact you could cause the nuclear plants to melt down, the alien saucer that if you shot it down would give you the mission points to finish almost every level bar the last few. And of course, the pride parade ending at your hanger wehn you beat the game.

I went full rainbow tortoise, always protecting the people. Meanwhile my temple was made of black spikes and the creche's provided mountains of baby flesh for me to keep flinging fireballs across increasingly more insurmountable distances.

Simutrans.
Everyone knows OTTD, but Simutrans is just far better game. I'm baffled that it has so little support and awareness.

Attached: Simutrans.jpg (1280x720, 342K)

This!

Also, the mayor sends greetings to you all.

Attached: Woof-Bark-Bark-Graph_o_102670.jpg (670x507, 51K)

That is what was great about the game. You could be of a different alignment from your own creature.

I literally did not know this was a thing. Thanks.

How do i make my creature bigger? When I was a kid, I've heard it gets bigger from sleeping in the temple. So I wall him in with rocks, and that little shit begins throwing fireballs at them, which damage the temple and set my towns on fire

EEEEIDLE
EIDLE
EE ! !

EEEEIDLE
EIDLE
EE ! !

WE SIMPLY CAN'T leave if we haven't got wheat ! !

Me, personally, it was an Evil cow that summoned lightning upon the non-believers

I think I almost beat the game at one point but then the enemy creature beat mine because mine did some stupid shit instead of defending itself.

Was too frustrated to touch the game ever again afterwards.

Yeah, to me it was also one of the first gaming disappointments. It all sounded so good on paper, but the execution was... meeeeh. It was more annoying than fun, with entire mechanics being terribly weak (the Creature combat for an example). In general, I felt like the game constantly requires me to split attention between several different mechanics (civ-builder, oversized tamagochi, RTS) which did not flow well at all.
I was also really disappointed with how cartoony it was. It was super difficult to take it seriously.

Looking back at it, I do have to respect for what it was trying. You don't see games like that being made anymore.
But it wasn't very good.

How was it underrated?
You can't find a boomer that hasn't at least heard of it.

>I literally did not know this was a thing. Thanks.
It's like OTTD except with much smaller community, worse sprite works, less community made content, but much, MUCH better simulation and user-interface.

Passengers are actually simulated, with proper destinations and shit, there is proper line management so you don't have to micro each fucking train every time you extend your line, the economy is interconnected, and the teraforming tools are much better.

It's really good, feels much more logical than OTTD.
The only issue aside from the spritework being comparatively uglier, is that it is kinda fucking HARD if you don't play on hard mode.

Get yourself the Pak128, it has the best simulation. Unless you are german, then go for Pak128German.

I can relate. Thought my first real burn was Fable. Molyneux pulled the same hype scam yet I didn't learn.
Looking back, I realize how absurd the claim that stepping on a sprout would mean that tree wouldn't exist in the future of your character, yet I fell for the media hype, just like B&W

Ooooooooohhh

>on hard mode.
On sandbox mode, sorry.

Sounds good. Thanks again.

I feel like the expansion really improved the game concept, yet can't remember a single shit about it

>stepping on a sprout would mean that tree wouldn't exist in the future of your character
What the fuck.

That's outright deceptive marketing.

Attached: 1343241860352.jpg (518x852, 166K)

WE'VE GOT THIS NOTION

literally everyone who remembers it's existence fellates it to high heaven

I did not feel like BoW did not deliver on its promises: much like the promises turned out to be much less fun then they sounded.
It was cartoony and thus unimmersive, often frustrating, not flowing very well, and just all around kinda... messy.
I never finished it, because it quickly became genuinely frustrating as hell in the later worlds. And I hated how focusing on one thing always fucked you over in some way. Focus on your cities for few minutes: Ups, your Creature is now evil because you weren't paying attention and it started eating villages.
Later on where you are forced to use it to fend off some ogres genuinely annoyed me so much that I gave up entirely.

>That's outright deceptive marketing.
Yeah, that's what he's known for. Just look up Curiosity: What's Inside the Cube? and the controversy around that shit.

Anyone remember this?
youtube.com/watch?v=bpC2TXhJGkE

>That level where you return to the first map and is bombarded with fireballs
After like 10 retries I just taught myself to mod and made the protective shield last longer and being cheaper

To be fair, he said it as a mechanic very early of Fables development. Before any in-game screens were shown.

I just remeber that I always ended up going evil because being good was SUCH A PAIN IN THE ASS, and the followers were annoying the everliving shit out of me.

>"Do you want to babysit these insanely annoying needy little shits?"
>"Or do you want to drop one baby on an altar and get three times the mana in seconds?"
If the game did a better job at making your people relatable, it would be a different story, but they were just... obnoxious.

You just kept everyone worshiping with a shield up the entire time while you fucked around doing the scrolls.

Level design in the game was really shitty though in general. The level where your creature was trapped the entire time? Removing a big mechanic of the game? Dumb shit. The level where it gets cursed and keeps shrinking and whatever you've taught it was scrapped and dumbass shit like that? That was also dumb shit.

Also, B&W2 would've been way better if there wasn't any of that fucking army shit in the game or migrating.

Yeah, 2 made city building better, but also retardedly easy with migration. Then again, I can't think of a way to properly balance making a huge city vs conquest, which at least gave you "new" cities to develop

Imagine what a glorious series it could have been if Microsoft hadn't fucked Lionhead studios from inside?

Attached: 1565008922020.jpg (600x754, 24K)

Does it have exotic architecture? I love sim city and other city builders, but I'm just so tired of western architecture. I tried modding modding sim city 4 to be asian, but modding it is such a pain in the ass, as every asset it a single building rather than a collection so you have to download a billion zips.
That's one of the reasons I've learned to love A-train and Workers & Resources despite them being more logistics than city builder.

2 felt unfinished
No skirmish mode and 1/3 of the maps were tutorial levels that held your hand so fucking much
Only five creatures too

Attached: 1556474038846.png (300x300, 91K)

How many creatures were in 1 anyway? You had the 3 starters, and I think I recall another one with the exp. But that's all I remember

>Just look up Curiosity: What's Inside the Cube? and the controversy around that shit.

Tell us instead, this is now a Peter Molyneux thread.

16 total, including the expansion and a patch

Attached: mandrill.jpg (800x600, 72K)

There are quite a few PAK's avaialble. I know there are two Japanese ones (both can be downloaded through Steam - yeah, you can actually download the whole thing for free on steam, and all of the major PAKs are there as "DLC" if you want just really, really fucking easy modding).

I've tried both of the Japanese PAK's. One of them is... meh, seems very limited, with only very few industries.
The other one seems to be very extensive, and pretty nice to the boot. But it is clearly poorly translated, with industries often missing info. I haven't fooled too much with it, maybe it's not such a big deal.

Other than that, there are some cartoony paks, a british one and german one.

>Imagine what a glorious series it could have been if Molyneux hadn't fucked Lionhead studios from inside?
ftfy

why didnt they just call it Mullato

Guess I missed out since I didn't have internet until years later.
Were there creatures you could get in the game? I remember a wolf, yet know it wasn't one of the 3 starters, but that's all I recall

Yeah, you could unlock them by doing the sidequests
If you did the ship in the first land you get the polar bear in the fourth

Only moly's degeberated mind could be so ambitious as to try something so different as black and white though. Sure his shit never lives up to his hyping, but without him unique games like this wouldn't exist.
Incidentally, I find it kinda odd how molyneux gets a pass and sympathy, while Todd became the "liar" character.

>gets a pass and sympathy,
In what fucking world do you live in user?

>Other than that, there are some cartoony paks, a british one and german one.
Oh yeah, and I should have mentioned: Simutrans is near-exclusively a logistic sim. It is a Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe clone with better mechanics and worse production values. You don't build cities, though you can fool around a bit switching to public service mode.

But the game is really about trains, buses, ships and timetables.

Lionhead are the ones that fucked themselves. Molyneux is especially responsible, he's the one who thought it was a good idea to start like a dozen different projects at once after B&W1's success while trying to work with various satellite studios and also juggle multiple different publishers. The guy was supposed to be in charge of B&W2, but he effectively left the team to their own devices since he was too busy with production related crap and shilling games he actually had nothing to do with (Fable being the most notable example). He's an idea guy, not a businessman, so it's no surprise everything came tumbling down. They were working on Black & White spinoffs and console ports, BC (the caveman game) and whatever else, all of it got shitcanned. Then the ones that didn't (B&W2, Fable, The Movies) had to be released in a half-baked state so that they'd stay afloat. Turns out that wasn't enough so they sold themselves to Microsoft.

>2 felt unfinished
That's because it was a cobbled together alpha they shipped out the door after they ran out of money and EA set a deadline. It's basically just a shadow of what could've been, there's a depressing amount of cut/unfinished assets in the game files.

everyone knows it, everyone liked it to some extent

Same here. I was all in on Xbox simply because of Fable, or "Project Ego" as was its moniker before release. I was a 14 yo lad who wanted to believe. But Molyneux fucked me.

Could never beat it because there was a level were you and the creature had to lift something simultaneously, and my dumb turtle just wanted to eat quest npcs instead.

arx fatalis

Attached: af.jpg (460x300, 28K)

messiah

Attached: messiah.jpg (498x640, 21K)

>Allied god rushed over to you and calls you by your real name

Attached: Excessive-sweating.jpg (766x511, 352K)

I remember an undead village which my creature completely wiped out before the quest got triggered, never got to see the ending because of it

No wonder the game failed with this thing on its cover.

>VR is becoming a thing
>There are no good VR god games where you could actually throw rocks at peasants or headpat/slap your little creature around
Lionhead Studios, please come back.
I need B&W for VR and also The Movies in general.

Attached: 1478450838884.jpg (670x748, 100K)

I though these these train games were autism simulators, but that look pretty comfy. Do you build cities as well?

Pete promised that the first person to solve the puzzle of his game would literally become God and have the ability to remake the world in their image

Fucking Molyneux

Skirmish was shit.

w2 > w1 > w4 = w5 > w3

To be fair it is burned hard into my mind. I will never forget messiah even though I will probably never play it.

These transport simulators are more dad games than autism simulators. The kind of relaxing fooling around you can do in bite-sized chunks. Kinda like Factorio, which actually got me into this genre.

You don't really build cities. The cities grow on their own, you just connect them. You can influence how they develop both by providing certain specific types of services, and by "trimming" them using roads and landscaping.

There is also a mode called "public service player" which you can switch to, that allows you to place cities, buildings, industries and landmarks if you so desire. It's kinda like cheating, but not completely.

But the core of the mechanics is in building transport networks. Railways and stations, roads, highways, canals and quays, airports, subways, that kind of stuff. Normally, you don't directly place down building not related to transportation.

I only ever played B&W 2, but to me, that was the perfect city building game.

On top of the graphics and visual design, which were great considering the time, you had the minimal ui, the diorama-like map design, and the free floating camera that felt like it was so free, you could zoom right in and out and move around through the little towns you made. Also, really small things like being able to uproot trees and replant them in your town made it feel cozy.

And there was something about the overall feel of building. It just felt unrestricted and natural. I don't know. I never cared much for the military mechanics, or the level objectives, or the creature stuff. My fondest memories of that game are just mindlessly expanding my town after the level objectives are complete.

I wish there was a pure, city building game that had the same overall feel as B&W2

"Dad games" is an amazing genre name. Never got into factorio, but I liked the idea behind it.

Thanks for the heads up bro

wrong pic OP

Attached: HEDZ.jpg (800x1016, 256K)

>play the game
>my name gets whispered
I kinda missed it due being busy, but it perked my attention right up. Love that kind of irrelevant but nice detail

God I remember the adverts for this back in the day

>tfw can’t use the turtle in b&w2’s base game
Using him in the expansion was great but it would have been nice to destroy the Japanese with him

Damn, wish I had a generic name so the game would recognize me.

Anyone else ever accidentally get it so that every god could do whatever they wanted without regard for influence limits?

Boomer here. Why can't I get this shit to work on windows 10? I swear I had it working once on windows 7/8 when I was drunk. This site is great in general, but their version comes up saying fatal error whenever I try to run it.

oldpcgaming.net/black-and-white-review/

Run it in a virtual machine. Win10 hates everything younger than it.

>virtual machine
got a link pham

Fraid not mate. But if you google it you should find plenty of people talking about how to get older windows games to run stable under 10 using various setups.

Ok, appreciate it bud.

How is this any different to openttd

I only played Black & White 2 when I was a young'n and loved it, but also I was a stupid kid. Is it worth going back to play the first one? Are there mods that would make either the first or second one worth playing again? Or something where I can skip the tutorial bullshit in 2?

The creature AI in the first one is a lot better

>Or something where I can skip the tutorial bullshit in 2?

You can do that if the game is patched

Oh cool. I only ever played off a fresh disc installation, so maybe I'll try that out.

I hate how the most efficient way to get wood is by watering forests repetitively and then move each tree 1 by 1. Especially bad in later levels when you aren't allowed the wood miracle.

>lobbing rocks at his villages from across the map
I kinda hate how the game incentivizes this. Makes progression feel weird and awkward. Was I doing something wrong when I first played?

>The most underrated PC game.
I played it after the release, it was FUCKING BUGGY AS HELL. And it was also so poorly optimized, it dropped frames like CRAZY.

deeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaath

BAD COW! DO NOT EAT PEOPLE!

>someone just say my name
Fallout can't even do that.

Get patch from B&W lionheart forum, bugfags.

I dunno , Daniel seems unusual

>When I still had friends and would force my screenshots on them so someone would actually see my cities

Attached: 1561540248620.jpg (552x337, 16K)

>AI sketchy

Attached: 1489918481793.gif (300x186, 446K)

>Digital release never fucking EVER.

Damn forgot I posted this thread. Thanks for keeping a Black & White thread up for this long Yea Forums. Its not often this franchise gets this type of discussion and I am glad to see it.

Molyneux did nothing wrong.

The game got like two years of journalists and magazine's sucking Molyneux dick prior to release, and received 80 to 90% ratings on release. Unfortunately, this was the first nuMolyneux game, which means it all collapsed when people noticed that the game barely held together for roughly 5 hours before players noticed everything's in their head and the actual game is barely functional and most of the promised features were either missing or impletented to so poorly they might just as well not even be there.

2 I felt did not have the same soul but it at least was still a decent game. I never beat it though. I think they should have ignored most of the criticism against the first. It was supposed to be a god game not an RTS.

WORSHIPPERS NEED FOOD

were you watching cinematech with Yea Forums the other day?

it was highly overrated when it came out, and has had more realistic appraisement since then.

yes, in the first world, but in the second it was exactly the same, and then the third, etc.
it was a fun toy, but a mediocre game.

>and most of the promised features were either missing or impletented to so poorly they might just as well not even be there.

Such as what? SUCH AS WHAT!?

"Amazing" creature AI would be the first that comes to mind. City building and villager simulation another.