Holloow Knight

Just started playing. It's the most fun I've had with a video game for a long while.

Attached: dzfgdxhgxdfg.jpg (1200x630, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n1zK_Lph-fs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Very interesting. Thanks for letting us know, please keep your blog going.

The first ~2 hours of the game are the least interesting.

It's in my top 10 so far. Couldn't believe how good it was. I'm disappointed to keep reading that the DLC is mostly bosses and not exploratory since I don't think combat is this game's strong suit.
Seconding.

Hell yeah, great game

thanks for a positive thread for once
Enjoy!

You should play more metroidvanias then.

Going through AM2R simultaneously. Hard mode makes into probably the most challenging Metroid ever, but I'd still put HK over it because atmosphere and presentation go a long way.

You must have a pretty shit taste in games if you think this game is fun.

Attached: 1534838806985435436h54h54h3h3.jpg (330x330, 19K)

AM2R isn't much of a metroidvania either. It's a pretty linear game.

post a good game

To be desu if you're gonna split hairs that much without actually recommending anything I don't know why you bothered posting at all.

Attached: Hollow Knight wall.jpg (2500x1160, 1.2M)

Weird... I started this game a few days ago and dropped 1 and half hour in. Couldn't really grasp whats so good about it, felt like some average platformer.

ur mom

What I'm saying is, Hollow Knight is pretty good as an action platformer but it doesn't have exploration as good as some other metroidvanias like la mulana, super metroid or aria of sorrow. If you like the exploration but don't like the combat you might be playing the wrong game.

The first 2 hours are the weakest. Once you reach Deepnest the game improves significantly.

Hollow Knight definitely has as much, if not more, exploration than Super Metroid. If not in depth, in mere breadth considering it is a larger game than SM. La Mulana is on the same level as Myst and Riven and doesn't deserve to be pedestaled with the others mentioned itt. It's its own beast.

I love some of the little touches in this game. One example being when you unlock one of the benches in the Queen's garden. I gramophone also appears and the BGM is distorted to sound like it's playing through it.
I'm about 15 hours in and only just now got to Deepnest.

You will either enjoy it throughout or find it boring. I REALLY liked it at first, but eventually became bored of it.

bloodstained

IMO good exploration is definitely about depth and not breadth. Smart world design matters more than just how many and how large you can make your levels. This is what other metroidvanias which are solid action games but weak exploration games seem to forget, such as Axiom Verge.

>I'm disappointed to keep reading that the DLC is mostly bosses and not exploratory since I don't think combat is this game's strong suit.
This, although I don't really care much for the combat, many of the bosses were more on the underwhelming side. So even if it was more engaging it wouldn't feel all that better with current boss behaviour, to me at least.
I'm looking forward to Silksong, though. I just hope it doesn't take years to even get a release date and I've already lost interest in it.
The start is probably the worst part of the game, unfortunately. It improves later, but if you don't care for exploring the world then you won't find it fun.

>Once you reach Deepnest the game improves significantly.

Can you explain exactly why? I need some motivation to go back to this game.

Played and loved it from the start til the end.

The combat becomes much more rewarding and you quickly accumulate some fun movement abilities.

Fine then, I will give it a second try sometime this week, thanks user.

I've had quite a lot of fun with Hollow Knight. Unsure what it is that gripped me however

Attached: 1550970019421.png (1024x718, 140K)

I still never did the last 2 pantheons or path of pain. sometimes I go back to the game but I'm so rusty I can't even beat grey prince zote

>One example being when you unlock one of the benches in the Queen's garden. I gramophone also appears and the BGM is distorted to sound like it's playing through it.
I accidentally broke that. It doesn't come back.

Attached: 1480103792615.jpg (1023x743, 75K)

If you're going to blogpost, you might as well add details. Where are you up to? What do you like so far? Which charms do you have? Which bosses have you fought?

Whats with the rampant Hollow Knight threads? Are they threatened by competition from Blasphemous? One thing Hollow Knight has over blasphemous is corpses don't disappear

what are you talking about, hollow knight threads are just a relatively common thing, where we can all come together and talk about the majesty of sawblades.

>Where are you up to?
Just got Shadow Cloak after defeating Hornet 2. Attempted the Watcher Knights just before that but I kept getting my shit pushed in. Gonna go fully explore Deepnest for now and kill the knights later.
>What do you like so far?
Most of the bosses have been pretty fun to fight. I like that once you have boss patterns down it's than just a matter of execution to beat them so it feels rewarding when you win. Also really like the atmosphere of the world and the music.
>Which charms do you have?
Charm game is pretty weak right now. Only got 6 notches and 11 charms. Mainly running Longnail, Steady Body and Dashmaster. But switch out for Quick Focus during bosses.
>Which bosses have you fought?
Hornet 1 and 2, Dung Defender, Broken Fragment, False Night, Soul Master and Gruz Mother.

I didn't like it but I hope Silksong is a good game that makes you guys happy

There's a spot with a dark gate in Deepnest that you should go check out, it's southeast of the hot spring. You'll find something really good there.

Try using spells when you're having trouble with bosses. The charms Shaman Stone and Spell Twister are super good for watcher knights.

Hmm, do you want some tips for the watcher knights?

You've done your homework

Attached: 40e.png (500x364, 66K)

Yeah i played it for the first time about 2 months ago, pleasantly surprised with the overall quality of it, and now excited for Silksong. Before you fight the last boss, (which is pretty obvious when its coming up), remember to explore and do EVERYTHING for a better ending. In particular, you need to get the last charm, which is in 2 parts, and then do something to it to make it black. Trying not to spoil anything, but itll keep you hunting

He should beat the "last" boss, to get one of the other ending first imo

Remember there are false walls in a lot of areas. Usually you can tell from a glance that its a false wall, but there's one in deepnest i didnt find until i'd already done pretty much everything else. Also i think there's a full area hidden behind a false wall right? The yellow area. Or was there an actual path to get there?

The hive? No, it's hidden behind a nondscript false wall that's high off the ground. The only tell is that there are enemies in front of it, so you might hit it when attacking them.

Attached: DEFENSOR BLANCO.png (1920x1080, 2.12M)

hollow knight threads were comfy as fuck back in 2017, now youre not allowed to like this game anymore because its popular

Attached: 1355278331611.jpg (404x267, 28K)

Theres like one guy screaming that its shit, while 50 others all talk about why they like it. Ignore the minority

Attached: 8DA4D32D-4C17-41A5-9B2B-EABE7FECACA5.jpg (600x600, 127K)

Attached: 1557050474672.png (600x600, 330K)

Just found the item in Deepnest. It's really good. Also just got the tram pass. Now to finish exploring the east of Deepnest.

I started playing recently as well. Just reached the crystal place.

Fuck soul master. That's all.

Soul Master is one of the more fun fights, its a good early game one that forces you to get at least moderately competent at movement while fighting

That introverted autist would never dare. He just hands people money if he wants something and never says anything. Truly the incel hero of the generation.

Hello fellow 4channel™ gamers, I too had fun with Hollow Knight™. Please share your thoughts and experiences with us over on Reddit™ (lol narhwal bacon xD)

Keep rocking fellow gamers ;D

I never liked him because he has annoyingly small windows of vulnerability that makes the fight go on for ages

''How DARE you like something i dont?''

good game, but the "story" sucks, more than half of it is autistic fanfic

Guacamelee already exists for all your mexican stereotype metroidvania needs, ridiculous names and all.

Attached: c1f435ab99b83bb6caa3acd8fab60ba5[1].png (400x485, 196K)

>just started playing
>having fun
First 10 hours of hollow knight are boring as fuck. Retard redditor trying to fit in fuck you.

that is neither what was said, nor meant.
get out, you spastic.

>since I don't think combat is this game's strong suit.
Combat is literally why this game is liked.

Youre implying that theres no way people actually enjoy this game. Youre the kind of person who screams SHILLS!! every time someone gets hyped for something

there are actual shill threads on Yea Forums, but your point still stands.

there was no negativity in the post at all. stop dragging this thread down with your "shill" bullshit.
we hardly ever get any decent hollow knight threads here.

must suck not being able to read senpai

When I said I just started playing I meant I'm 13 hours in.

quoted the wrong post. very nice.

Had a lot of fun with the game although it got quite annoying in the end.

All areas apart from white palace are a nice mix of platforming, combat and exploration but the palace is just a shitty uninspired platforming section that felt entirely out of place.

Same goes for the real final boss, I never felt like fighting someone, it's just a boring platform challenge.
DLC is pretty bad as well.

That said the rest of the game was pretty amazing so I'm looking forward to Silksong. Just hope they will focus on the metroidvania aspects and not the platforming and the meme difficulty.

>all this seething hate for Hollow knight

What the actual fuck? Do you people own stock in EA or something? Or is this just Yea Forums's reaction when a game is genuinely beloved by people?

Attached: 9402251.png (1786x1030, 1.54M)

Only one person in this thread doesnt like it. Everyone else is talking about it

Go away already, you are just trying to start fights again.

It's funny because I played every single one of them and HK is by far the best

btw I recently played shovel knight a lot of its bosses have moves similar to hollow knight's bosses. Seems like team cherry were heavily 'inspired' by that game (and dark souls of course.)

It's the same people that complain when their game doesn't have lootboxes.

Not a fan of sawblades?

Attached: 1552320232658.png (917x1583, 484K)

I never got around to shovel knight, but i loved hollow knight. Worth playing?

>that one guy who unironically got filtered by Cornifer

Attached: 1259455679361.jpg (476x338, 11K)

>is it worth playing one of the most successful and acclaimed game of the last few years
Also it has nothing to do with hollow knight.

Oh i assumed they were the same kind of thing since you said they were ''inspired''. Might still give it a try though, didnt realise it was so acclaimed

>No mind to think
>No will to break
>No voice to cry suffering
Definitely our guy.

Attention New Player: equip the shaman stone, shoot them fireballs. It's sick damage

>filtered by Cornifer
what

Attached: 1484450669294.jpg (149x131, 8K)

Not a fan of precision platforming in general, but it's really jarringly bad game design as well.

I mean up to that point all the areas are nicely designed and have a sort of natural feel to them, like they are actually different places that exist in this huge interconnected bug kingdom.
Then suddenly you get into the palace and it's 'lol, so there are sawblades and shit floating in the air IDK'.

Also before that point the longest 'pure' platforming session was a few minutes at most and here you spend an hour or two doing nothing but platforming.

Just really took me out of the comfy feeling of the rest of the game.

A few months ago Hollow Knight threads were joined by an angry 'sperg who was legitimately unable to grasp the map system and quit as a result.
He naturally claimed to have played the whole game before being forced to admit it.

Guys how do i acumulate 1800 escense? I already have beaten the mini bosses that you summon them with the dream nail

certain bosses have dream versions that you can fight after hitting their corpses with the dream nail

You find the dream trees scattered everywhere

Rematches with some of the other bosses.
Broken vessel's is probably the easiest

DO NOT WATCH GUIDES OR WIKI
This game is amazing and do not spoil it for yourself. If you're lost, spend more time to figure out stuff yourself. It's the first game that gave me that 'hard but rewarding' feeling since late 90s games. Only go to wiki after you finish the game to see what you missed and you want to 1xx% it.

The fastest way is to do the dream versions of the main bosses, namely false knight in forgotten crossroads, hollow vessel in the ancient basin and soul master in city of tears. They are quite hard but give a few hundred essence each. You can also retry them quickly and use fragile charms as you just wake up next to their body if you "die".

There is also White Defender after Dung Defender and Grey Prince Zote after you fought him in the colosseum.

What other games give me this fucking feel

youtube.com/watch?v=n1zK_Lph-fs

Attached: dugtoodeep.png (1163x658, 465K)

All of Blasphemous

When does this game get good? Just finished the green place and i cant bother to continue. Speaking from someone who like metroidvania a lot

>Also it has nothing to do with hollow knight.
A ton of hk bosses are inspired by shovel knight

You got the dash just now, right?
The next upgrade in addition to the dash makes the game play so much smoother, the "the first 2 hours are a slog" is not a meme for nothing

Yeah. We don't like to discuss video games here.

Its like dark souls the main draw is the bosses. So try to do all bosses follow a guide if you get lost. Don't think I wouldve stuck with the game without a progression guide.

Attached: hollow_knight_3HUqiRmW27.png (780x234, 363K)

They both have extremely standard bosses found in every good platformer ever. I don't know how anyone could see any HK boss and think "shovel knight".

i meant a lot of boss' abilities in shovel knight can be seen in hollow knight. Like grimm, dung defender and more

>put like 50 hours into this game doing literally everything
>got to nightmare grim but dropped it before I beat him dur to moving
>haven't played it in literal months, never even beat nightmare grim or the final boss
At this point I feel like its been too long to pick it back up. Loved it too.

>filtered by pure vessel

Attached: 1536595020626.png (1280x1578, 402K)

Reminder that the White Lady was a cuckqueen

I felt the same way at first, the game was extremely gripping to me when I first starting playing. It did start to wear on me a bit near the end, though, particularly when I had explored the map in full--half of the fun to me was how you could spend hours going down the rabbit hole of exploring one area, then finding another one and going deeper, then finding another, etc. I also found some of the extra content (namely, the Godmaster stuff) to be rather superfluous and I couldn't bring myself to go through the slog of finishing it.

Attached: 1551141714551.png (400x400, 181K)

The completion autism part of me really wants to finish this one day, but just thinking about having to relearn all those boss patterns is enough to make me lose all motivation.

Attached: 20190912152232_1.jpg (1920x1080, 266K)

>indie shit
Ugh. Tired of this nonsense plastering Yea Forums.
Just give me the good old AAA video games.
Preferably the ones willing to deal with Tim Sweeney.

I'd rather teabag a cactus than go for radiant Markoth anymore.

Attached: 1567596151814.png (645x729, 131K)

>filtered by radiant markoth

Attached: 4d64cdaf298c1b608490dae5860727dd[1].png (500x750, 385K)

>but just thinking about having to relearn all those boss patterns
See, THIS is why you radiant a boss you manage to defeat on ascended immediately, no matter who the boss is

>I already have beaten the mini bosses that you summon them with the dream nail
How many? If you beat all of those, and find all the dream trees, you only need to do like one actual Dream Boss to hit 1800.

To be fair, Markth is bullshit for all the wrong reasons. AbsRad, Zote, Marmu, and Oblobbles are really awful to radiant too.

Are the Sister's of Battle only during a pantheon or can you fight them in the basement like all the other bosses?

You can practice them.

>AbsRad
Spell cheese her away. Especially if you count your hits, you can plan and fire off 3-5 abyss shrieks and conpletely skip the spikes-on-the-floor bullshit. And thanks to how big the shriek's hitbox is, you can damage radiance without getting anywhere near her
>Marmu
longnail, mark of pride, strength, THE FUCKING ELEGY
>Oblobbles
Damage both of them equally, so the moment one goes down, the other is already halfway dead
>Zote
>he actually saved zote knowing what Zote will do later
You deserve to get cucked