How to make a video game in 2019

1. Make a short, unsatisfying and wholly unoriginal platformer that would've stood a 50% of getting blammed on Newgrounds in 2007.

2. Make the protagonist relatable to your target audience by giving them some (or all) of the following character traits:

- depressed
- anxious
- LGBT
- traumatized
- quirky sense of humor
- unique yet common basic-bitch hobby such as photography, drawing or video game development

3. Alter the protagonist's appearance to be palatable to both the clueless public who haven't yet realized your flash gam-- I mean indie title is awful, and to the 12-39 year old females (and "females") who insist that it's the most compelling design since that time their favorite tumblr artist redrew an anime character as a koala. This may include any of the following:

- neon hair
- pale or charcoal black (no inbetween)
- pastel palette
- piercings
- masculine clothing such as flannel or rough denim
- slender or childlike build

4. Manufacture buzz by baiting hit pieces about how awful your game is and starting fights with people on social media who don't like your game (don't worry, you've got the media in your corner!)

5. Have no less than three meltdowns over the course of development. It's best to have one before, during and after (with intensity ramping up with each consecutive incident of suicide threats, playing the victim and deleting your account only to return a week later). If you have not had at least a straight 48 hours of Yea Forums's catalog clogged with posters complaining about/ironically defending your game at this point, you have failed.

6. Enjoy your newfound fame and fortune. Port the game to consoles and watch your playerbase triple with disappointed children who saw bright colors, expected Mario and instead got to see a lesbian's battle with self-hatred. Consider making new controversies every few years to keep your game in the news. Rest well knowing you've inflicted your permanent brand of faggotry upon the gaming industry.

Attached: cutesy_nondescript_platformer.jpg (1920x1080, 144K)

Attached: 1550644838398.png (1367x631, 47K)

So you haven't played Celeste at all
Okay

Attached: 2ca6ce5881ec1ca28115797a33da9570-sample.jpg (904x999, 176K)

Never bothered with it because the art is fuck ugly tumblr tier shit and that thing alone should tell you enough about the game.

>shit post
>cute feet
I am conflicted.

That sounds pretty complicated, why not just make a good game instead?

... but that sounds haaaarrd...

The problem is nobody knows how to do that anymore

Depressingly accurate

Based

Attached: 0a1.jpg (643x820, 80K)

this artists dedication to slightly transparent white tights is really interesting.

I know of a videogame being developed that is literally this with only a 2 button control scheme

this is PAINFULLY accurate

>tfw indie dev so i see a lot of really stupid shit from other indie devs

Attached: D8_9ygfUEAAIWUA.jpg (600x450, 21K)

i think you are describing NITW

t. hasnt beaten the b sides

>Short
Those B and C-Sides must not have given you any trouble then huh, considering you were able to blaze through them so fast.

it was meant to be all-encompassing of shitty indie platformers, my mistake was including celeste in the OP so people think it's only about that game

It's his religion

Attached: 258bc8b5878c38502520c8c29e66c31f-sample.jpg (707x999, 202K)

>Yea Forums on Celeste before the reveal
Good game

>After the reveal
SEETHING

Attached: file.png (1143x408, 111K)

BRO NONONO A GAME WITH VALUES I DONT AGREE WITH IS GOOD AND FUN PEOPLE ARE ENJOYING THE GAME NO THIS CANT BE HAPPENING HELP Yea ForumsROS NO HELP I CAN’T STOP GIVING IT ATTENTION DUDE IT’S JUST THAT AWFUL GUYS HELP HELP THIS SHIT IS FUCKED DUDE

Hello newfag. Yea Forumstards were memeing about abortion when the game came out. Regards on this board who don't play video games shouldn't surprise anyone anymore.

>short

You forgot 7. shill your game 24/7 on Yea Forums with threads like this

Attached: 1438039564580.jpg (500x500, 40K)

Did you guys not see how the devs looked like at the game awards?
This was to be expected

Because that shit is easier
Why bother with character design when you can just stick to the tried and true tumblr template? Why bother with strong writing when you can just give the character a few generic traits that apply to broad swathes of an easily persuaded market? Why bother with quality when you can take advantage of the media's bias against the core consumer base to foment controversy that gets you free press?

are there any good wetern indie games?, i only played shovel cuck and it was fun but nothing else

When did you people become more fragile and whiny than the people you constantly complain about?

People will be seething for a couple more weeks, then they forget about this nontroversy and flock to whatever new indie game pops up in the media. After the seethers leave, people will start unironically posting webms of them beating the really hard parts of Chapter 9 and talk about how tight and challenging the level design is.

I would say no but I am working on something, I will shill my game here when it's done tho

Attached: D9WNQUSW4AEHOIA.jpg large.jpg (805x629, 32K)

Castle Crashers is fun

>unoriginal
Name a single concept that has only been done once

I'm already starting to make mine. It's both endlessly frustrating and immensely satisfying.

Attached: 89745654165.webm (1280x720, 1.41M)

>starting fights with people on social media
>Have no less than three meltdowns over the course of development

Do people seriously get this obsessed over games they don't even like or play? Shit, I love this game and played it for countless hours but I don't even know who the developer is. What kind of weird mentality do you have to have to dedicate this much time to something you hate?

9B and 9C when

Isn't that just player 2 Suguri?

Attached: 585380_20180226123858_1.png (1600x900, 1.38M)

Imagine caring enough to write all this.

I like how Chapter 9 properly and formally teaches you about wavedashing, but sort of glosses over wallkicking and assumes you'll figure it out, while both 7-B and 8-C formally taught you both techniques before this.

People going straight from 8-A to Chapter 9 are going to have a hell of a time.

The really cringe inducing element is that this games depiction of "depression" is absolutely nothing like what real clinical depression is. It's just half assed virtue signaling.

Just like your post

it's not real depression, but what self entitled women, s o y boys and trannies consider to be "depressed"

Because the chapter was originally blocked until beating 8C, but they again had to lower it for those poor poor gamers just like being able to disable the assist mode shame marker

Ahhh a fellow tranny, can't wait until your balls get cut off?

>just like being able to disable the assist mode shame marker
I am usually a patient, tolerant man, but there are some things I won't stand for.

Tranny, how is not wanting to play something "being fragile"? In any case, stop bullying.

>reply_31.exe initiated

lol upvote!

7B is required to get to that part without corner boosting (need 15 hearts).

Imagine anyone that fapped to madeline

Funny because it was one of my favorite games of whatever year it came out on solely based on the fact that it was an amazing platformer.