Was it really THAT bad?

Was it really THAT bad?

Attached: chrono-cross-ps1-cover-front-jp-47447.jpg (640x633, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g4mHPeMGTJM
youtube.com/watch?v=sFiSb9SBOW0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Depends who you ask.

No, it was actually a really good game. It just wasn't much of a sequel to Chrono Trigger.

Better than Chrono Trigger objectively speaking, only Nostalgia jaded boomers will disagree

It was great.

it's a classic

The Chrono name is unfortunate because it distracts people from the fact that the game isn't good on its own merits either

>objectively

no its comfy af

Soundtrack wise it’s superior to Chrono Trigger. CT’s soundtrack is a solid 10/10, but Chross has the best OST of any game ever, making it a 11/10.

Graphics wise, Chrono Cross is the most beautiful looking PSX game. Visually CT was nothing special and inferior to FFVi.

Gameplay wise like most JRPGs they are both trash and are easily beaten by using your strongest attacks and healing occasionally.

Story wise Chrono Trigger is better. CT’s story is actually quite bad but Chross’ is too pretentious and convoluted.

Overall I think CT has the edge but not by a wide margin. CT is overrated as fuck and CC is underrated as fuck.

>but Chross has the best OST of any game ever
Not with that battle theme.

>mfw full white field

Attached: CasualFilter.png (797x600, 451K)

>ng+
You had to have done it on purpose.

It's just triggerniggers upset that it wasn't a direct sequel, the sentiment only grows stronger as more zoomers try to be retro cool.

BASED

Attached: 1561076211726.jpg (502x446, 55K)

It's a better game

I think the game has 10/10 aesthetics and music that pretty much carry everything else. Its hugely experimental and most of the experiments proved unpopular; they're mechanics never seen again in newer rpgs. Basically its a kind of below average game carried by how much SOUL is put into it.

Why did Square try to push this as a sequel?

It was alright in the early parts of the game when it was just this whimsical tropical island adventure. But then the plot takes off and tries to establish continuity with Trigger and the game kind of goes to shit.

no it was great
thinking you can can get a happy ending from fucking with time is naive (even with good intentions) is naive
he trigger characters deserved what happened to them

because it literally is a sequel

>bad

lol you've been greatly misled, my friend

only in the most convoluted way and it required shitting all over the Trigger cast to do it

It's fine, the graphics just aged horribly and the combat mechanics were just not very good. It was great at the time of release, but it wasn't the sequel everyone was hoping for.

>objectively
Look, I like chrono cross more than trigger myself but they are hardly comparable in the first place, they are far too different gameplay wise. The only similarity is that they are both JRPGs

Most of the the trigger cast weren't the big players in the grand scheme of things, get over it.

This is a great way of putting it, the gameplay is okay, there are WAY TOO MANY CHARACTERS who all feel flat as hell. But god damn the music is beautiful

Better than Trigger, BY FAR.

It had good music and atmosphere. That's about it.

Wrong. I grew up with Cross, have nostalgia for Cross, and even I can see that Trigger, which I played for the first time as an adult, was way better.

Attached: 1524241588715.png (1125x1600, 362K)

>The graphics aged horribl-

Attached: 8-starship18.jpg (640x480, 78K)

It's one of the most interesting JRPGs, mainly because it answers a peculiar question: how do you make a video game where there are multiple time travelers? So they made a game set during the time travel endgame, a game whose plot was iterated several times by various players until it finally settles into a particular resolution, and you're playing the patsies who've been manipulated into place to finally resolve everything.

The story was the only egregiously bad part of cross. Everything else is mostly great. However, it's still a fucking story-driven RPG game...

I think the story, itself, wasnt bad, the execution was poor, though. It had a lot of interesting plot points and developments, the pace was just horrid.
It's a very flawed game, and yet one of my favorite games ever.
I feel CT was a more consistent, way less flawed game, but it never made me so passionate about it, the way CC did.

Magus shouldn't have been dropped from the plot, he's the one Trigger character that absolutely should have been involved.

I tried playing through this shit game years ago, I think I fell off the train when my party was captured by like, pirates or something. But then it turned out to be a ghost ship. But the pirates weren't ghost pirates, they just happened to have ghosts on their ship. And then it was filler that didn't matter.

Also the combat was dull.

Dropped it right after that.

Y'SEE, WHEN YOU GET OLDER, AND THE OLD NOSTALGIA GOGGLES GET IN THE WAY, YOU GOT TO FIGHT BACK WITH BLATANT SENILITY.

THE REASON CHRONO CROSS WAS BAD, WAS BECAUSE SQUAREENIXSOFT WAS AFRAID THAT A CHRONO TRIGGER SEQUEL WOULDN'T ENGAGE PEOPLE BECAUSE THERE WAS NOTHING NEW; SO WHAT THEY DID WAS, THEY WENT OUT AND BOUGHT A GAME CALLED DOKI DOKI TIME TRAVEL. THEN, THEY KIND OF CHANGED THE SPRITES TO LOOK LIKE TRIGGER CHARACTERS, AND KIND OF HORSESHOED THE WHOLE MESS TOGETHER.

YEARS LATER, ENIXSQUARESOFT EVENTUALLY MADE AN ACTUAL SEQUEL, WHICH THE ENTITLED THE LOST TIMELINES, BUT IT WAS ONLY AVAILABLE ON THE JAPANESE PLAYSTATION, OR THE PSG AS I LIKE TO CALL IT. (THE G STANDS FOR GOOK)

ANYWAYS, WHILE CROSS WAS CRAZY AND DIFFERENT, SOME OF THE ENEMIES AND CHARACTERS HAVE BECOME BELOVED ADDITIONS TO THE NOW FLOURISHING CHRONOVERSE.

>asking that on here
>with all the baiting bullshit
The truth is that it isn't that terrible of a game, just mediocre with some nice environments and an amazing OST.
The main issue with it though is how overly convoluted the plot gets after the first half, which absolutely can't be overlooked.

Trash game with great production values

Attached: No Fuck Off.png (1064x670, 604K)

>Not with that battle theme.
>Have amazing soundtrack
>Song you hear the most often is atonal squealing ear rape

The concept of visiting alternate universes spawned by time travel is extremely interesting, but Cross's implementation of it was a nightmare toilet

Attached: chrono cross plot dump.jpg (3960x1612, 1.26M)

I really hated the combat. That't the main reason I wasn't been able to revisit again.

6/10 it's OK.

>Soundtrack wise it’s superior to Chrono Trigger
haha oh wow

I just can't stand that characters lose all characterization when they join your party

I'm not sure if I agree with him but he's not that wrong. CC's soundtrack is amazing. So is Radical Dreamers while we're at it.

let's take a listen to CC's final boss theme
youtube.com/watch?v=g4mHPeMGTJM

Not bad, just mediocre

Cross has a better OST trigger is better than everything else.

Not even close to being right fuck stick.

Attached: 1555973411762.png (640x401, 571K)

wrong, this is the final boss
youtube.com/watch?v=sFiSb9SBOW0

>top ten underwhelming final bosses.

I used black characters and took your nigger sword to the face and didn't die WHAT NOW SIR!?

No. It's actually better than Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII.

Yes.
>lame combat with braindead mechanics
>copy pasted double world
>like a hundred characters but only 3 of them get any real characterization
>ridiculous and stupid plot
>decides halfway through to remember it was a """""""sequel""""""" to CT
>does so by shitting on the previous cast
>last dungeon is painfully bad
>rehashed final boss

Anyone saying "NO IT WUZ BETTER THAN TRIGGA AND SHHHHEEEEIIIITTT" is being a contrarian or is too zoomer/late-stage millennial to remember CT.

>No. It's actually better than Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII.

Attached: 1554589998150.jpg (388x471, 44K)

it's nice to pretend

anyway, time's scar is good but Trigger has overall better music.

No.

>One of the best OSTs ever
>Looks fucking beautiful
>Amazing atmosphere and comfy areas
>Has this nostalgic feeling for some reason (Played it for the first time in 2010)
>Nice battles and bosses
>Interesting locations
>NG+ with a fucking FAST FWD HOLY SHIT MORE GAMES NEED THIS

But...
>Way too many characters
>Story starts strong and VERY interesting... by the end... it's a damn clusterfuck, fanfiction tier and most things a just dropped in walls of text.
>Final battle is.... meh, for an amazing OST having no song there added to the letdown a lot.
>Protags from the first game end up having a fucking horrible fate... why?!

Who gives a flying fuck if it's good or bad
fuck you I liked it

My Chrono Trigger waifu gets killed offscreen by a furfaggot so no, terrible game and non-canon.

>Comparing to different games
Zoomers LOL

Attached: 1559078959308.png (398x376, 193K)

>non-canon
wrong :)

Attached: sequel.jpg (800x681, 209K)

>The long awaited sequel to one of history's favorite adventures
What a shitty year that was it wasn't even close to trigger if you can call it a trigger game.

honestly it's fine if you forget it's supposed to be a Trigger sequel
and also every Trigger reference it makes

And yet it holds a better metascore than both Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII. Cross is excellent, and was a great sequel to Chrono Trigger. Most of the people who say otherwise are just mad that it wasn't Chrono Trigger 2. :)

It never was a trigger game and nobody will ever convince me otherwise. Now if people want to argue if it was a good game? yes it was.

>metascore
>Relying on a website if a game is good

Attached: 1553597934900.gif (360x346, 170K)

Probably a more accurate source than some zoomer spamming reaction images on Yea Forums, yeah? Numerical indicator that it was well received in some sort of capacity.

>metascore
>Relying on a website if a game is good
>zoomer
I'm gonna die of laughter!

Attached: 1555329529854.png (128x128, 29K)

It was a good game and a shitty trigger game.

HOLY FUCK HEY GUYS DID YOU HEAR THE DREAM TEAM IS GETTING BACK TOGETHER I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT TO SEE WHAT MASTERPIECE THEY COME UP WITH THIS oh

Attached: 376153-blue-dragon-xbox-360-front-cover.jpg (800x1147, 161K)

What happened to white dragon? green purple red orange?

I didn't think so shut the fuck up you nigger ass zoomer trash. You know nothing about video games you vapid cock sucker! Stick to fortnite where your kind belongs cunt. Be happy society is still active.

Imagine being such a brain dead individual that you have to rely on some imaginary virtual numbers

Yes. It has an awesome soundtrack, but that's it.