Why doesn't Earthbound have a run button?

youtube.com/watch?v=ulBYfJ4M5ks LMAO AT THIS FUCKING FAGGOT

>Game gives you a bike
>Shortly thereafter, Paula joins your party, making the bike useless

BRAVA EARTHBOUND.

BRAVA

And what the fuck was the point of the condiment system?

>Oh man, waste a slot to carry a packet of salt instead of just having another bag of dragonite!

When I think about it, this game actually kind of does suck. For an RPG, it has no replay value to speak of

>99% linear with no side quests
>No party organization to give certain characters priority over others
>No unique equipment builds that reward smarter thinking, not harder thinking
>No way to truly test your characters skills with the lack of a new game+ feature

Would have been nice to have, but this is give or take:
>Alternate party members
>Alternate endings
>Monster/boss arena

At the end of the day, it's still a VIDEO GAME and not an "interactive experience". You don't cut Gone Home any slack(the hipsters that love Earthbound LOVE Gone Home as well), neither should you with Earthbound.

Reminder Undertale is for faggots (and don't give me that MUH MOTHER 3, I just played it and it still has a lot of the same problems as EB)

Attached: 1446731496135.jpg (629x500, 109K)

this is bait but I agree with some of it
The bike really is an odd design choice

and before anyone replies, I know that it's pasta

Holy shit, did you really think I'd read all that shit you wrote up there?

Have sex.

Attached: 1559755669083.gif (480x270, 528K)

It was clearly designed as a subversion of typical RPG cliches at the time. I for one enjoy replaying it every few years, but not every game has to be fucking Deus Ex in terms of non-linearity.

It's pasta, newfag

zoomer detected

ok rian johnson

>IT SUBVERTED MY EXPECTATIONS

Attached: 1565955972913.png (644x800, 30K)

Is this like Evangelion where people claim its subverts the mecha genre while they themselves know nothing about mecha

>It was clearly designed as a subversion of typical RPG cliches at the time
How? The game is pretty much Dragon Quest set in the 90's.

Pretty accurate, though you still have to be a fan of JRPGs to like Earthbound because it has the same problems as any other.

My main gripe with Earthbound is how empty the characters are. You get a quick run down of them when you first meet them but after that they might as well be blank slates.

It'd be nice to hear their reactions on events in the game or their interactions with each other.

wow, this is some old ass pasta

Honestly, the worst sin that it makes is that, despite being a comedy RPG, it's not that funny. I'm not even talking in a "Japanese """"""""""humor""""""""""" kind of way; I've laughed at dumb shit like Bobobo before. But a lot of Earthbound's jokes are just plain annoying, one of the worst being the stupid camera guy that stops you like three times per map just to take 30 seconds snapping you for his cringe compilation. Thank god I was playing on an emulator with 4x speed, or else I would've probably just quit playing altogether.

Attached: ishygddt.jpg (285x297, 37K)

That was probably my biggest issue too. Something like a party chat button would have been great

what would you want in a Mother remake?

Attached: 1562810133373.jpg (1070x750, 640K)

JRPGs never went off the beaten path of "far off fantasy land". Earthbound was set in your backyard, essentially, with a lot of references and meta humor. I mean, you'd see some of this in western released games like Chrono Trigger (which named a set of bosses Flea, Slash and Ozzy)

*blocks your path*

Attached: 456583-metal-max-nes-front-cover.jpg (747x1082, 203K)

get aids zoomer

>one of the worst being the stupid camera guy that stops you like three times per map just to take 30 seconds snapping you for his cringe compilation
t. AHDH zoomer

Can you really say that when the west barely got any jrpgs until ff7 came out? We only got the big ones and ports of wrpgs. I'm sure there were plenty of Japanese rpgs that had unique settings. A couple that come to mind are Glory of Heracles(Based off Greek mythology), Stargazers AKA "Hoshi Wo Miru Hito" (Cyberpunk-themed), Phantasy Star(Sci-fi themed), Lagrange Point(Takes place far in the futre, sci-fi themed. Really cool synth sound track, the only one of its kind on the nes as far as I'm aware), Doraemon: The Revenge of Giga Zombie(I think this one takes place in modern day Tokyo, but I'm not sure), and many more probably. Most of these are Japanese exclusive though.

There was even a Romance of the Three Kingdoms JRPG that we managed to get localized. Dont know why it never gets brought up since its actually pretty decent

Attached: Destiny of an Emperor.jpg (1090x680, 167K)

>the only one of its kind on the nes as far as I'm aware
IIRC Megami Tensei 2 used a similar addon for expanded tunes.

Glory of Heracles 3 is one of my absolute favorite JRPGs of that era, but unless you like the story like I do, it's the same old JRPG. Earthbound really pushes a likability factor that you only ever saw in Square stuff like Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG and Final Fantasy 6

Also the west got some absolute shovelware JRPGs too, don't forget.

Attached: secret of the stars.jpg (800x559, 112K)

EarthBound's charm is its setting and characters. Stuff like Magicant and the Cave of the Past are unforgettable.

That being said, there's a lot of questionable design choices with the gameplay. I think OP's complaints are valid.

>snapping you for his cringe compilation
First time I actually laughed at this meme. You're right.

this pasta is kinda old

I feel like Jeff is the only one that had any depth. Even then, barely any.

I know this is pasta and I'm still mad cause some Yea Forumstards actually have these pleb opinions

Prove it wrong, bitch

Name one reason why those suggestions wouldn't make Earthbound better

Earthbound set out to be a unique experience you can't get anywhere else so it's not really an rpg, just a story you play through. That's why the maker of earthbound only made three games total

>Why doesn't Earthbound have a run button
patch it with EarthReBound
>>Oh man, waste a slot to carry a packet of salt instead of just having another bag of dragonite!
you could always drop the fucking packet of salt, it's optional you mouthbreathing sperg
>muh side quests
it's not the first nor the last great linear game, side quests are not necessary to make it a great game, some want you to focus on the main journey. I had much more fun talking to unique and soulful NPCs than i ever had with soulless trash RPG side quests that felt more like doing chores than playing a video game.
>>No party organization to give certain characters priority over others
why the fuck would anyone want this in Earthbound? are you that bad at games you can't come up with strategies with the way the party is lined up?
>muh equipment
more bitching disguised as asking for challenge. It's a simple RPG. Get fucking good, and fuck your autistic generic jrpg features. All your suggestions except the run button would ruin the game's charm

>patch it with EarthReBound

You already lost as you've proven there is something to fix about EB

NES rpgs are never talked about unless it's Final Fantasy 1, Dragon Warrior 1, or Mother 1. I know alot of people don't like NES rpgs because of how simple their stories are and how clunky some of them can be but I think they deserve alot more respect, they can be alot of fun once you get into them! I think it's a shame we didn't get that many here, but I'm suprised with how many we got. We got most classic nes ports of wrpgs, Wizardry 1 and 2(not 3 :( ), Ultima 3 and 4(both were converted to jrpgs, both good, 4 is a bit too dumbed down for my liking. We also got Ultima 5, but we don't speak of Ultima 5 nes), Bard's Talke, D&D, etc. We got very few jrpgs, great ones we got like DW3/4 are never talked about for some reason, except for recently. I haven't heard of this game, it sounds pretty cool, so I'll probably try it out soon.

>game has one flaw you lost xD
no game is perfect. I has one flaw present in most RPGs from that era, that doesn't mean the game sucks and that the rest of the pasta's whining is justified

Seethe more zoom zoom.

>newfags calling others underage

Attached: 1388723776361.jpg (358x362, 13K)