Dead Cells thread

Question here.
are "procedural/roguelike metroidvanias" real metroidvanias?

Attached: Dead-Cells-Free-Download.jpg (620x355, 44K)

No but the term gets the point across. Even though it's a shitty term. Also are shields worthless in this game? I find roll dodge to be much more effective.

Attached: 1568016955772.gif (270x368, 1.54M)

Parrying is extremely powerful with the right modifiers, and it's also more effective because landing a successful parry allows you to immediately parry again, so you can keep parrying consecutive attacks as long as you can keep landing it.
And I guess blocking is alright except at 4 stem cells because of the infection.

THERE AREN'T FAKE METROiD CASTLEVANIA

Isn't Randomizer, one of the most popular way of playing Super Metroid ?
If so, then DeadCells can be considered as a MetroidVania or at least one of its sub-genre

I cant even begin to comprehend how the fuck people can get through 2+ boss cell difficulty
shit's hellish

Attached: 1568219862452.jpg (600x649, 43K)

I like the stun + counter damage parries can give you, it's satisfying. rolling is for when I get scared like a bitch and am just running away.

Fuck no, randgen levels should automatically disqualify devs from calling their game a Metroidvaina. Part of what made Metroid so great was its thoughtful level design. Calling something that was shat out by an amateur's AI a Metroidvania is an insult to the genre.

Shields are good. They have a passive bonus that gives you mitigation after getting hit. The reflection works through walls (most weapons don't) so in dangerous areas you can use it to kill annoying ranged enemies that snipe you through walls.

The stun shield however is insane since it works on bosses too. Assault shield is trash though (the dash fucks with repeated parry).

>Part of what made Metroid so great was its thoughtful level design.
Except that what made Super Metroid good =/= What actually defines Metroidvania's genre.
The Shantae series is also considered a Metroidvania and the level design of this series range from subpar to abysmal.

Dead Cells is shit desu. The randomization means it'll never have the great level design of hand crafted levels while the reliance on upgrades to traverse means the randomization is severely neutered resulting in samey and boring levels that are arranged slightly differently.

No, and dead cells has not a single feature of a metroidvania, so I wonder why you post that as an exemple

>=/= What actually defines Metroidvania's genre.
it is not about the quality, it's about the design style

Shields are literally the only way to play on higher difficulties

>The Shantae series is also considered a Metroidvania
No. Only one game out of 5 or 6 is a metroidvania.

Is there a mod to disable malaise? Its by far the worst thing added to the game.
That would be bows and turrets.

I didn't post an example. Devs said it is a sidescroller roguelike, metroidvania inspired. So players are calling it a real metroidvania. That's why I made that question, I wanted to know how come this game is considered one

I found it mediocre for parrying melee attacks. They're always good for projectile parrying, but once I hit 4 boss cells the value of never getting hit made shields quite good.
I beat 3 boss cells by just going full HP and getting lifesteal and shit for the hand of the king. Once the malaise is activated on every enemy, strat kinda becomes shit. Melee isn't reliable enough to go HP tank builds, although it definitely helps.

Best weapon in game is the stilleto by far.

I miss using sadists stilleto and the sadism mutation. Shame they removed it.

It's not except by zoomers who think all 2D games are metroidvanias
But there are other randomly generate games more akin to metroidvanias, like Chasm

2018 GOTY

Roguelike Metroidvania are it’s own thing but it is not a Metroidvania by itself. Most Metroidvania games tends to follow a strict structure of the genre to an extent. While Deadcells do follow the structure it’s main feature is the roguelike aspect.