What platform is the best place to play this game?

What platform is the best place to play this game?

Attached: RomancingSaga2_image1600w.jpg (1600x800, 348K)

PeeCee

a badly coded n64 emulator

I have the switch version and i've heard people say that the input lag present on switch isn't on the other versions. It's not unbearable, but keep it in mind.

Reminder we're going to get more RS3 info at TGS in two days.

CHADStation Vita

Is the gameplay challenging and engaging?

It's one of few JRPGs that you can fuck up bad enough to have to completely start a new game.

It's a SaGa game, so yeah, didn't get a cameo in Kitiku Mario for nothing.
Nah, RS2 still lets you recover pretty well if you do understand what you're doing wrong, unless you do fuck up big time and get into a soft game over lock, which is almost impossible even by playing blind.

That is probably the worst thing you can tell someone about a fucklong jrpg.

Attached: nerbus.png (500x478, 195K)

PC and ps4 should be best. Vita has some load times but it's not bad.

Not really, all the non-boss fights are very dull. There's a symbol encounter system and the fights are basically a punishment for failing to dodge them. Once you're a couple hours in you generally kill anything you fight before they get a chance to act. The exception are boss battles, which often have their own gimmicks that might wipe out your party. That's not a bad thing, the coolest thing about rs2 is that you can remake a new party to counter whatever gave you trouble.

Don't forget about that image of the thread where the one guy managed to fuck himself beyond belief in FFVI. People here are pretty bad at even JRPGs and I could easily see someone ending up at the last emperor with no spells or equipment to buy.

Even if you intentionally run from 1000 battles you can recover pretty easily. The battle rank system just exists so you can explore in any direction you choose without having to jump into 'high level' zones like other jrpgs have.

git gud

>all the non-boss fights are very dull.
When you know how to play, sure.
Plenty of people get fucked to death by plants or ghosts, let alone things like chariots, once you're past the learning curve and comfortable with the game it does get easy, but all games do, granted that the early game does have a lot of trash encounters.
I'm not really referring to that, I'm talking about how you can make an unwinnable game file due to forced abdication on some quests.
It is next to impossible to actually have that problem, but it's a thing that can happen mechanically.
Other than that there's no real need to start over unless you missed a lot of stuff or you don't want to suffer through a tedious first playthrough, which is understandable.
Only SaGa Frontier 2, Unlimited and Minstrel Song have the danger of fucking your playthrough so hard you need to restart, RS2 still has some safety chute even in the most disastrous scenario, you do have to find it, but it's there.

If I would have to restart a 100+ hour rpg because of some bad speccing I couldn't have known about on a first playtrough I would rather be called a shitter than to do it all over again.

>RS2 still has some safety chute even in the most disastrous scenario, you do have to find it, but it's there.
As long as I can panic and ask for help on Yea Forums with some actual results then it should be fine.

the game still allows you to choose a new party and learn from your mistakes. Although you can still fuck up if you ignore the cool high tier magic for the final battle.
I played it on PS4. What a great fucking game, really. I had fun from beginning to end and the epilogue made me tear up like a little bitch.

>you can make an unwinnable game file due to forced abdication on some quests.
Are you talking about something dumb like saving underwater in the mermaid quest with your final emperor? Other than that I can't see it happening and it's just a novelty.

>because of some bad speccing
That can not happen.

A single RS2 playthrough is not 100+ hours, make it 30-40, the replay value however is another story.
All SaGa games are pretty concise really, because being nonlinear games with a lot of variations means you replay the game to see what happens on a different campaign, or just to see how things develop differently, build autism is also another layer of replay value.
A single campaign in SaGa Frontier for instance is about 15 hours, you can even run it solo in about 3-4 hours on average, speedrunning them takes about 1 hour if not less depending on your skill.

Even if you miss the fusion spells (which is very likely) the most broken spell, quicktime, cannot be missed.

>Romancing Salsa
these ironic dating sims have gone too far this time

Yeah, both the mermaid and Komulune's quest are potential soft locks, but again, it's virtually impossible to happen upon this problem by chance, you really have to look for it.

Speaking of RS2 replay value, what sort of things do you do when you replay it to keep things interesting? I've done a few runs using different strategies but when I think about doing some sort of run with challenge restrictions it just seems like the answer is to grind high-exp enemies to get overpowered.

Attached: 1514236743688.jpg (581x680, 365K)

i have never play a SaGa game but im thinking of getting this one on the PS4, what do you guys mean by fucking your playthrough

What about the PS2 remake?

Attached: 1521835442066.png (480x395, 123K)

SaGa games tend to have rather free progression and a growth system that penalizes you for trying to take the easy way out with mindless grind or without paying attention to your build, some games in the series become very hard to beat or in some cases unwinnable if you fuck up real bad, but it's not really the case for RS2, you can still crawl back in there even if you fuck yourself up real hard, it's not going to be fun but it's possible.
Different entry, it's a remake of the first Romancing SaGa, and a great game.

>Different entry
I misread OP's pic sorry

No need to apologize, most people here don't know or play SaGa so the nomenclature is a bit confusing for most.

I'd like to try a no-magic, heavy knights-only run, that means, lots of weight and big dick weapons
I also haven't tried to make Coppelia the last emperor

>no-magic run
>RS2
Unlikely, the main game is mostly doable but the last boss will cockblock you hard without any sort of magic, unless you make an exception for built in magic on some equipment like Moonlight, which I don't think helps much really, healing is just one of many problems in there.

I've done a coppelia final empress run, it wasn't really anything special

Instead of 'no magic' you could opt not to build the magic academy, leaving you with only the spells characters learn naturally. This is also one component of a playthrough where you win in the earliest calendar year possible.