Wrpg elitism

I honestly don't get it why are wrpg dudes so eliest about their favorite titles when they are honestly fall short in many categories as opposed to jrpgs

>Music
I honestly, can anyone list 6 memorable tracks from a wrpg?Majority of it is just stock music

>Art
Usually really shit hyper models in game with a dull brown tinge, Oblivion is so uncreative, Khajiit and Argonians are just animal heads on human bodies.

>longevity
Majority of these games look like shit within 5 years of release
INB4 FF7 majoirty of Jrpgs have staying power,

>Setting
Usually some unpleasant hyper real urban/medival/futristic space kinda deals. You never see any animated or cartoony settings in these games

>INB4 games made in the west that borrow heavily from jrpgs
Can't pull undertale or the south park card, as they borrowed from earthbound, and paper mario respectively

>Gameplay
Collecting wolf pelts and navigating through convos with a stupid convo wheel. They rarely diverge from the standard mold.

You would never see a magic pengel wrpg or other games that branch out.

Despite all of this many wrpg players shit on jrpgs for just being the

Attached: jrpg characters.jpg (2000x1952, 1.42M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uHQZNNajxOk
youtube.com/watch?v=QUR7fdg6n3s
youtube.com/watch?v=Ns7fNPiNiNc
youtube.com/watch?v=rF09vGckSAc
youtu.be/fhtXEP1ZIRo?t=1
youtube.com/watch?v=ZcNrEV9fZQY
youtube.com/watch?v=sBwqTPKgcSI
youtube.com/watch?v=f0jJ2u2rk3k
youtu.be/5jnAZSbmeuU?t=259
youtube.com/watch?v=PSWTUhI5xhA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ff1DjBe3LOM
boards.fireden.net/v/search/filename/jrpg vs wrpg.png/
boards.fireden.net/v/search/filename/1834891981.jpg/
youtube.com/watch?v=zV1wrdXpij4
youtube.com/watch?v=qzVexHHhh4A
youtube.com/watch?v=Rm9PJNF3sE0
youtube.com/watch?v=7md_gd3HuMQ
youtube.com/watch?v=lcxrsaT2nAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=OYqv75ANPik
youtube.com/watch?v=o3gp5XI0XCw
youtube.com/watch?v=JqL4n7SlDB8
youtube.com/watch?v=J46RY4PU8a8
youtube.com/watch?v=ROKcr2OTgws
youtube.com/watch?v=4VlALXxjUz0
youtube.com/watch?v=8201LMlcAZU
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=338354302
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

here is the original

Attached: incorrect.jpg (2000x1952, 735K)

So you couldn't even find any interesting jrpg protagonists that aren't effeminate teenage boys, so you had to cherrypick jrpg protags that are...platformer mascots that got their own RPG spin-off? Or in the case of Slime, generic rpg monstrs that got their own spin-off.

Oh yeah, I'm sure Bowser as a protagonist is far more compelling than the sisyphean journey of the Nameless One.

Attached: 1523451916032.jpg (454x284, 36K)

Did the weeb who made this not know what the definition of a protagonist is?

>I honestly, can anyone list 6 memorable tracks from a wrpg?Majority of it is just stock music

>Dragon Quest XI
>100+ hour rpg released in 2017, made by one of the biggest publishers in the world
>one (non-boss) battle theme for the entire game
>low-quality midi music

>Deus Ex
>made with an extremely small budget, even for the tim
>has 4 unique musical themes for each area: one for normal exploration, one for combat, one for when conversing with an NPC, and one for getting a game over (that's right, every area even has unique game over music), so 20+ unique battle themes, 20+ unique exploration themes, 20+ unique dialogue themes, 20+ unique game over themes
>music themes change if you revisit an old area after a plot-critical event (such as when you escape from Unatco)
>music drawing from a wide variety of genres, with strong melodies and catchy hooks

Attached: 1546372689490.jpg (1002x857, 54K)

Alexander Brandon is a better musician than any of the japs from your jrpgs

you didn't answer his question, deus ex doesn't have any memorable tracks

not getting enough upvotes on reddit, beepzorz?

why do you give a shit about what some retarded spamming autist defending an irrelevant genre thinks?

Lol u mad

everything on the right is less interesting than everything on the left
that is a terrible fucking image, OP, try again

UNATCO is catchy

there are plenty of catchy themes that are not memorable. The only memorable track in the entire wRPG landscape is the elder scrolls theme. In contrast, jRPGs like chrono cross alone have multiple memorable tracks

If we are talking about Deus Ex 1 then the 2 best ones in my honest opinion are The Synapse (hong kong ambience) and the DuClare Chateau Conversation theme
youtube.com/watch?v=uHQZNNajxOk
youtube.com/watch?v=QUR7fdg6n3s
Human revolution had a great sound track especially the main theme Icarus
youtube.com/watch?v=Ns7fNPiNiNc

>Usually some unpleasant hyper real urban/medival/futristic space kinda deals. You never see any animated or cartoony settings in these games
If anything, it's jrpgs that are more guilty of taking themselves too seriously, with tons of meelodrama and epic cliched heroic plots about killing gods.
Wrpgs tend to be more varied when it comes to the tone of their stories: you can have comedy, anti-heroic stuff, historical fiction, etc.

Attached: 1221934934943.jpg (3000x3000, 863K)

Attached: smt_sj_8785.jpg (350x493, 35K)

none of those tracks are memorable, being memorable means it's a track widely recognized among the gaming landscape, not a personal opinion. something like sephirot's battle theme is memorable

They are not memorable if you are a console nigger

Why do we have to fight?
Who gives a fuck. If you like wrpg, ok.
If you like jrpg. Ok.
Fuck off, you aren't special

Attached: raccoon.png (274x296, 149K)

>xenogears
>killing god
how many times do I have to teach you this lesson retard? you don't kill god in xenogears

>typical jrpg silent young man protagonist, but he's wearing a mask so you don't see it
So...this is the limitless imagination and creativity of jrpgs...

Attached: 13761383012.jpg (540x540, 26K)

>Wrpgs tend to be more varied when it comes to the tone of their stories
yeah, you can have wannabe dungeons & dragons, or you can have wannabe star trek. wow, such variation!

sorry, pc gaming is largly irrelevant

yeah, why can't japan do anything other than silent young man protagonists?

Attached: T260G.jpg (511x610, 233K)

You gotta be bullshiting me if you think the Untaco theme isnt the first thing that comes to mind when you think Deus Ex

In jrpgs you have wannabe journey to the west or wannabe journey to the west

Sephiroths Battle Theme and FFX's main theme are probably the only soundtracks out of JRPGs that fit that description without moving goalposts.

Additionally, almost everything from WoW fits that description, as well as ME2's Suicide Run theme, but I'm sure you won't include any of that because of reasons, right?

AHEM!

Attached: 240px-Mk-zetta-tome.jpg (240x295, 20K)

Attached: SJ_Protagonist_render.png (305x803, 233K)

never listened to the sephiroth theme, but the hong kong theme will make anyone who has played deus ex get the largest nostalgia boner you have ever seen

>how many times do I have to teach you this lesson retard? you don't kill god in xenogears
Oh yes, I'm sorry. You just kill a sentient machine called 'Deus' that has trapped the Wave Existence inside it. The Wave Existence is a divine being from a higher plane of existence that can create worlds and create life forms to populaye those worlds. Totally not god.

Oh, and the guy who was behind all this, and who was planning on destroying all life on the world, is instantly forgiven by the end. Because that totally makes sense for our heroes to do.

And you wonder why people make fun of jrpg fans?

sorry man, i spent so much time in hong kong in deus ex 1 it is literally the track my brain defaults to when thinking about deus ex

JRPG's are typically style over substance. And have ebin animu girls for coombrains to jerk it to.

WRPG's are superior in everyway.
And tabletop roleplaying games blow them both out of the water

Attached: 1472861599630.jpg (425x640, 42K)

and this is the real reason WRPG fans on Yea Forums are so at odds with the average JRPG fan on Yea Forums, so many of them are just filthy fucking casuals

Attached: 1362665823727.png (680x849, 659K)

Looks like a faggot.

for me, it's versalife

I like both WRPGs and JRPGs

Attached: 1567387420424.gif (376x450, 1.78M)

memorable means that they stand out to people who listen to them
just because people are overexposed to a certain theme, doesn't make it automatically the best around

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 5K)

I was honestly going, to say if it was catchy or not.
But none of those themes deus ex were catchy

try'
youtu.be/fhtXEP1ZIRo?t=1
youtube.com/watch?v=ZcNrEV9fZQY
youtube.com/watch?v=sBwqTPKgcSI
youtube.com/watch?v=f0jJ2u2rk3k

youtu.be/5jnAZSbmeuU?t=259

>yeah, you can have wannabe dungeons & dragons, or you can have wannabe star trek. wow, such variation!
Actually, it's jrpg settings that are wannabe D&D dressed up in superficially different skins.

A good way to demonstrate what I mean is to look at how jrpgs utilize their settings. For instance, if you look at wrpgs that aren't high fantasy, like say Fallout, Deus Ex, Jagged Alliance, Vampire The Masquerade, etc. they tend to incorporate aspects of their setting in their gameplay. And I don't mean things like characters using guns. I mean stuff like Fallout having a barter economy, which is logical in a post-apocalyptic society where monetization has broken down. Or how cybernetic augmentations in Deus Ex take the place of a more traditional RPG system. Or the whole mercenary company aspect of Jagged Alliance.

It's obvious that a game's setting should inform its gameplay. But jrpgs really don't do this. Even jrpgs that take place in modern or futuristic settings, such as Persona or Xenoblade, still revolve around typical high fantasy cliches like dungeon crawling and god-killing shenanigans. The characters even still use medieval weaponry. Heck, Symphony of the Night is a Japanese RPG where you play as a vampire, yet you can't even bite anyone to drink blood, meaning you can't even fulfil the basic function of a vampire. How lame is that? Or take Lost Odyssey, a game where you play as immortals, yet you can somehow still die from combat.

Another baffling trope is all the jrpgs (most recently FF15) where the technology and level of civilization is far more advanced than our own, yet the world still functions like a pre-industrial society, with small settlements separated by vast, uncharted expanses of wilderness filled with wild beasts and roving bandits, and characters still using medieval weaponry. What is the point of going with a futuristic setting if it's functionally and thematically identical to a medieval fantasy world?

Attached: 122034043043.jpg (2000x3000, 1.03M)

didn't they remix this one for Human Revolution or Mankind Divided?

if wrpgfags aren't casual, why do they praise "games" with brainded gameplay?

Attached: ffxv vs planescape.png (1938x654, 589K)

>memorable means popular
lmao

Why the fighting? Both are cool, sure there are shitty games, but that happen in all the genres

didn't read, beepzorz.

UNATCO is the only theme I recall being mixed for the prequels.

JRPG fags are constantly praising FF6 and Chrono Trigger as the peak of the genre though

it didn't trap the wave existence inside it, humanity did. and no it wasn't that guy either. It's honestly pathetic how you google all this shit and think it's an argument

Give me the GEP gun

youtube.com/watch?v=PSWTUhI5xhA
it's shit

He was a good man *smacks lips* what a shame

you mean two games with better gameplay than planescape?

Nope

Attached: jrpg settings.jpg (1968x3666, 1.86M)

wRPGs are trash, there's a reason every year wRPGs move further away from their source material

Attached: jrpg vs wrpg.png (1596x4682, 2.96M)

>replay Deus Ex for the first time
>the weapon option at the start is pretty much a difficulty select
I hope I wasnt the only one that got tricked into going for the tranq bow after that whole intro bit telling you to be stealthy

Attached: 1361179568823.jpg (400x500, 24K)

he says as he implies elder scrolls isn't casual

yeah i can just hear it in the 2 minute mark, what a shame they went so ethereal with the prequel music, especially MD that should of started to sound more techno to blend into the origional sound track

What are you even arguing against? Yes, it's technically not God. So what? Xenogears still stuffers from the typical jrpg problem where everything has to be as epic,convoluted and melodramatic as possible.

Interestingly enough, both Xenogears and Planescape: Torment are late 90's RPGS that revolve around an amnesiac protagonist who's been reincarnated numerous times.

Let's look at how that premise is tackled in Planescape: Torment, without giving away any specific spoilers. The entire game is spent uncovering the mystery of who you are. Instead of only getting better at combat, gaining higher mental stats like wisdom also helps you to gain new insights into your past lives. The climax of the game consists of a mental trial where you reconcile those past lives with your current life and confront the unresolved baggage of your past lives. It's a deeply personal story, and the story is driven by the player's actions. The ending is not happy, but it provides fitting closure.

Now let's look at Xenogears. The story is driven not through the player's actions, but is told entirely through non-interactive scenes of the characters talking. While the game does reveal the mystery behind the protagonist's past lives, the story is decidedly epic, with the fate of the world and arguably all of existence at stake, and culminating in the predictable cliche of a boss fight where teenagers defeat a corrupted god-like being. Rather than explore those past lives, the game uses them as a framing device for an archetypical good vs evil struggle. The ending is happy and overly saccharine, with even genocidal villains getting a last-minute reprieve for their misdeeds.

Planescape: Torment's writing is not pefect, but what makes it a good story (by vidya standards) is that it leverages its premise in every aspect of the game. By contrast the writers of Xenogears obviously had a lot of ideas, but they seemed to have no clue about how to meaningfully incorporate those in a game

Attached: 1712847313841.jpg (2000x3000, 1.58M)

comparing a game from 20 years ago to one from this generation...back in the day we had only a toaster and it was pulling double duty as a kitchen appliance when we weren't gaming on it

For reference, here is the original image.

Attached: 1834891981.jpg (1596x4464, 1.6M)

last I checked Morrowind does a pretty good job of filtering retards that cant into character builds with its diceroll combat. Meanwhile there are Final Fantasy players that managed to complete 8 without understanding anything about its junction system

well if he had to compare gameplay to a recent WRPG he'd have to do something like say, make a comparison with DivOS2, at which point his entire premises falls apart as it's significantly superior to Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Have you played bloodborne? WRPGfags earned their right to boast after a game that good, I think.

Attached: whaaat.png (538x494, 296K)

what the fuck is a celestial fantasy?

>Earthbound as fictional real-world when it it has prominent sci-fi/fantasy elements
>Saga Frontier as cyberpunk...lolwut? It's your typical science fantasy setting
>Arc the lad as urban fantasy
>Valkyria Chronicles as alternate history when it takes place in a separate fantasy world.
>having to invent fake genres like toon fantasy and celestial fantasy

You don't have a clue what these genre classifications mean, do you?

Attached: 1j9ywu.jpg (400x369, 77K)

For me, it's a conversation with Morpheus in Deus Ex

>I honestly don't get it why are wrpg dudes so eliest about their favorite titles
next time you see them, just say "boss battles"

Attached: lol2.png (1856x2168, 1.07M)

Jrpg fans know what they want is the thing of it, cute girls, some passable YA story, and groovy music. Get all that and they’ll be satisfied.

Wrpg’s are basically a dead genre because all the good old ones were CYOA pulp novels interspersed with crappy, easy as balls isometric combat, and all the new ones are shit like mass effect or dragon age.

>Earthbound as fictional real-world when it it has prominent sci-fi/fantasy elements
>REEEEEEE, HOW DARE GAMES NOT CONFORM STRICTLY TO MY AUTISTIC DEFINITION OF A SETTING AT ALL TIMES?

this, the story/gameplay seperation is quite obvious in most JRPG's

>>REEEEEEE, HOW DARE GAMES NOT CONFORM STRICTLY TO MY AUTISTIC DEFINITION OF A SETTING AT ALL TIMES?

>universally accepted genre classifications
>"autistic"

Pretty pathetic that you can't even find a single jrpg without fantasy or sci-fi elements, whereas plenty such wrpgs exist, like Kingdom Come; Deeliverance, the Expeditions series, Mount & Blade, Jagged Alliance, etc.

Attached: 1548507447455.gif (487x560, 898K)

I fail to see how the one on the right is a good rpg boss, as the way you build your character has virtually no effect on how you fight the boss
I'd take a wrpg boss that actually lets you use your character's strengths to it's fullest, even if that means that some characters can oneshot it

I just want to thanks the faggots who make this pictures, it truly shows how you can discredit the merits a game has trough very articulate cherrypicking.

Attached: DlO08UQXsBAzmHj.jpg (900x1200, 128K)

Isn't almost every praised WRPG know for having broken combat or being immenselly easy to break and then steamroll?

Attached: Slowpoke.png (312x295, 12K)

that's true of both wrpgs and jrpgs, to be honest

talking about KCD
that is historical fiction, an actual recognized genre that has been a literary staple for decades or even centuries and is completely distinct from "fictional real-world"
unlike celestial fantasy or toon fantasy which are overly specific terms made up just to have a jrpg example

Where's the JRPG historical fiction?

I think the problem here and this might piss off WRPG fans is that JRPGs are generally just great games and the people who play them mostly rate them on a spectrum comparing them to other japanese games, regardless of genres. WRPG fans who list cons of JRPGs are comparing it solely to RPG and D&D standards. They don't talk as much about how JRPGs have better music, characters, and general plot but instead focus on how faithful their games are to d&d and how good they are at lore and world building.

Attached: animekiss.gif (500x281, 607K)

WRPGs do have memorable tracks!
Like megalovania!

Attached: happy face 2.jpg (646x601, 29K)

>wrpg’s are basically a dead genre because all the good old ones were CYOA pulp novels interspersed with crappy, easy as balls isometric combat
Spoken like someone who has never played a wrpg in their life.

Historically, wrpgs have almost no emphasis on story (planescape: torment was notable precisly for being an exception to that rule). Most wrpgs can be speedrun in a few minutes and npcs can be outright killed, that's how little the developers cared about you following the story. Meanwhile, most jrpgs easily feature dozens of hours of cutscenes and a completely linear and railroaded path through the game.

As for combat, well...

Attached: 12344889445.jpg (2000x1797, 853K)

>characters
>general plot
yeh, planescape torment does that better than literally every jrpg out there

>Most wrpgs can be speedrun in a few minutes
"i-it's good because you can skip all the actual gameplay!"
>npcs can be outright killed
"i-it's good because it's edgy!"
>As for combat, well...
kek, here's your god-tier dark sun combat.

Attached: dark sun.webm (640x480, 2.77M)

JRPGs have more memorable characters overall. 99% of the time in WRPGs the main storyline is ass, it's usually the fun quirky little side quests that people like in WRPGs whereas the best JRPGs tend fo have a memorable streamlined easy to digest main storyline.

>es, it's technically not God. So what?
so your shitty argument means nothing when wRPGs, including planescape, feature a god like being as the primary antagonist. transcendent one is more of a god than deus. Planescape's story rarely, if ever, changes based on options. Difference is planescape only cares about TNO, not the other party members (barely morte) or the world that's pulled from existing material unlike xenogears

I could have put chrono trigger or something there instead and the majority of it would be the same. Not like age dictates quality

pathetic that wRPGfags have to lie to seem better boards.fireden.net/v/search/filename/jrpg vs wrpg.png/
boards.fireden.net/v/search/filename/1834891981.jpg/

>JRPGs have more memorable characters overall.

Attached: 12213248328.jpg (3009x1569, 830K)

RPGs to me have to be turn-based games.
WRPGs are almost never turn-based games.

Thus, WRPG bad.

Attached: CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING.jpg (719x720, 51K)

only thing that remains of the wrpg genre is bethesda and bioware tranny shit lmao

Both of those are memorable though?

>Needing to use a character who isn't even an RPG character to make jrpgs look good
lmao the absolute state

not true, Lets compared xenoblade 2 with D:OS. XC2 does the same thing as the OS's world/battle transition except it's not turn based, environmental hazards are in play, blade combos (which create seals to block off tributes/moves) and driver combos (incapacitate/burst damage) combine to create fusion combos which increase the effects of both combo paths and apply bonuses, such as extra party gauge, increased special build up, etc. Then you have other things to consider; positioning, pouch items, type of enemy, elemental weakness/resistance are some of those. On top of this, the game has a canceling mechanic that requires proper timing to boost specials and arts. Behind the scenes, characters are completely customizable with different blades that change stats, classes, abilities, passives, and certain ones have special prioritizes which change up how the game work (e.g. corsette brings a new dynamic to potion collection which increases fusion combo damage, an extra incentive to give up positioning to collect potions rather than just health). I haven't even gone over additional mechanics like just range or affinity, the latter which intertwines narrative elements into gameplay, something further emphasized with the DLC in terms of blade partnership vs ownership.

>wRPGfags will never know the feeling of stacking combos and timing a level 3's invulnerability frames to negate a party devastating AoE into a chain attack with 4 orbs build up into a full burst
maybe if wRPGs had good gameplay they wouldn't all be dead aside from shit eating normies who buy TES

>westshit needs to rely on hollywood movie licenses because they can't come up with any memorable original ideas of their own

All of them are from RPGs though. That Bowser is from the Mario RPG series.

>right
>well known

>left
>literally who?

>so your shitty argument means nothing when wRPGs, including planescape, feature a god like being as the primary antagonist. transcendent one is more of a god than deus.
So now you're resorting to flat-out lying?

In what universe is the Transcendeent One, a guy who goes into HIDING because he knows that if the gods discovered his existence thy would instantly destroy him, a god-like being?

most jrpg's tend to actually have rather poor main stories
they're cliche storms that don't try to innovate their genres even remotely
they're streamlined and easy to follow sure, but they lack any form of depth. It's like the plot to a children's novel, and not even a good one at that

Old pc fanbases are filled with schizos who will never mention the flaws of the titles they praise. Most of them are retards who never realize how most of the cool ideas in those old games have absolutely awful execution.
But then again production values aside, JRPGs are also trash.

>Transcendent one
>kills the most powerful being in the game aside form gods or himself, ravel, in mere seconds
>deus
>gets fucked by an explosion and needs nanomachines from some guy to function again

>I could have put chrono trigger or something there instead and the majority of it would be the same. Not like age dictates quality
Chrono Trigger is a terrible game, so no, that would completely undermine your point.

Speaking of which, why aren't you adressing the points mentioned in

Kafka is more memorable.

>he uses the party AI to get through the tutorial fight

you best not be talking shit about motherfucking ROCKET SLIME
>it isn't even an rpg

Attached: dragon-quest-heroes-rocket-slime.jpg (1200x675, 717K)

wtf...they make each of the moves in JRPG turn based combat flashy because the act of selecting an option in a menu is boring as fuck

because your image is flawed from the get go, xenoblade 2 isn't considered one of the greatest games ever and AI-controlled allies do require input from the player. That's already 2 things wrong, it's clear the original image which you claim you made here when you didn't, made you extremely asshurt so you youtube some shit and decided to edit the image. Try to make something worthwhile and I'll bother responding to it. Or I won't, depends how I feel

All of you are complete faggots. Just play the games you like. Who the fuck cares about what country they came from?

Attached: annoyed jak.jpg (724x746, 87K)

if CT is terrible then planescape is truly abhorrent

Indeed

Attached: Kafka_portrait.jpg (711x948, 380K)

environmental hazards in xenoblade 2 are not even remotely in the same league as OS2 in terms of importance, diversity and impact and you know this
not to mention the sheer amount of utility spells that can be used in clever ways, methods of manipulating and preparing for fights etc

>Historically, wrpgs have almost no emphasis on story

That’s disingenuous user, classical wrpgs such as OG fallout, the Baldur’s Gate, Deus Ex, and even slightly more contemporary examples like VPTMB are frontlines of the genre and are well known for their narratives. Planescape’s pure focus on story was a departure in terms of its commitment, but pretending it was going against genre conventions wholly for this is absurd.

And if we’re going direct comparisons to titles like Divinity that DO eschew much of a linear narrative for pure gameplay, it would be Moreno appropriate to compare it to japenese dungeon crawlers like etrian odyssey or the like.

>Implying that D&D system is good

>sephirot's battle theme is memorable
>Sephirot
WHAT IS IT LIKE WHEN PULL BACK THE CURTAIN

>kills the most powerful being in the game aside form gods or himself, ravel, in mere seconds
The most powerful being which is still just a mortal hag. How is that god-like?

Meanwhile, Deus' powr can be harnessed to end all life. THAT's god-like, you moron.

If you had played Planescape: torment, you know that it's possible to actually encounter a god-like being, the lady of pain, in an optional encountr You know what happens? You get an instant game over just by LOOKING at the god-like being.

JRPGs still get made and are mostly still good. The "WRPG" genre is as good as dead with all their "good" games being what decades old by now?

Divinity games are turn based
they're some of the best turn based gameplay this decade at that

>environmental hazards in xenoblade 2 are not even remotely in the same league as OS2 in terms of importance, diversity and impact and you know this
every single topographical change in the enviornment is a hazard in XC2 due to how the potion system works, pits/falls are abundant as well, so are ether/poison areas

The multiplayer was more fun that it deserved to be. Golem meta too strong

>AI-controlled allies do require input from the player.
How do they? You can't control multiple party members simultaneously, so the AI takes over. So no, they don't require input.

Hey, if he can just end all life and has the power of an actual god then riddle me this

why doesn't he insta-kill all his enemies?

>How is that god-like?
because it shows the power difference between him and a mortal

>LOOKING at the god-like being.
are you sure you didn't play it? she slashes you

>Deus' powr can be harnessed to end all life
it's a biological weapon made by people, not godlike

>Dice rolls in an ARPG

>don't require input
>focus/fall back
>which blade art to use
>chain attack combos

The thread is obvious bait, but there are some actual points hidden there. Western RPGs, or CRPGs, as I like to call them, indeed tend to go for the more realistic graphics which often age much worse than more stylised approaches.
Music is often quite good but unmemorable, although western video game music is pretty underappreciated on mainstream video game circles, since much of the people invested in sites/communities such as Yea Forums Yea Forums have always played games on (Japanese) consoles, instead of (home) computers of the 80s and 90s, when the music in Western games was not just Orchestral elevator music (not that there's anyting fundamentally wrong with that).
Characterization can also be a problem on CRPGs. Even though you can have multiple dialogue choices, they may be very superficial, and the characters tend to be left impesonal and intagible in such a way at least I personally do not care about their motivations or fates. Archetypes exist for a reason, though they are a double-edged sword.

In the end CRPGs and JRPGs are almost completey different beasts, often sharing only the same genre name and some sort of sense of exporation. I generally prefer CRPGs, although they can be sometimes pretty cumbersome to play. There doesn't need to be any antagonism between players who prefer one or the other, but hey – this is a public forum.

tl;dr: What I'm really trying to say is, what are your favourite Western and Japanese RPGS?
Mine are:
Betrayal at Krondor — Ultima 7 — Jagged Alliance 2 (if it counts)
Tales of Symphonia — Persona 4 — Chrono Trigger (I'm a pleb when it comes to JRPGS)

A-are you winning, honey?

>what is diablo

The only part of the combat in Xenoblade 2 that matters is building the elemental combos and UI is quick to remind you that they arent automated by the AI

WRPG is a meme. In the first place, western devs dont make it anymore lmao

Westacucks only talk about their nostalgia and ancient games

This is the face of an Old God. Books should be feared.

transcendent one decimates anything that isn't a god in P:T aside from himself and can traverse different planes with ease, as well as holds power over potentially infinite shadows. Deus is a weapon made by humanity that was completly fucked until a human fixed him again. Yeah, i think transcendent one is more godlike

>are you sure you didn't play it? she slashes you
She doesn't slay you? You get slashes just by looking at her.

So we've established what a god-like being actually is in the world of Planescape.

The transcendent onee doesn't even come remotely to that kind of power. Why can't you just admit Xenogears is far more epic in scope than Planescape? Why would you be in denial about this? Are you so insecure about your favorite jrpgs that you have to mak up fake shit about other (better) games?

>WRPG
Fallout New Vegas
>JRPG
TWEWY

I really love all those single character WRPGs like Witcher and Deus Ex and also enjoy Blobbers like Might and Magic but I cant for the life of me get into those old isometric ones like Fallout or Baldurs Gate

if transcendent one doesn't count as a god-like being, neither does deus. I know you're dumb and the name tricks you, but he's the equivalent of a sophisticated nuke

OS2 has 56 distinct environmental effects each with their own unique modifiers, methods of creation and removal and can be stacked or override eachother on a case-by-case unique interaction, not to mention that multiple environmental effects can be present in the same battle AND that said effects are often an integral part of the encounter design

such as one memorable moment where the game simulates an oil rig going up in flames entirely through unscripted game mechanics

They are? I thought they were just another filthy diablo copy and threw them in the trash.
Guess i'll give them a chance after all these years.

You better not be fooling me, every time I try a WRPG it's an immense disappointment.

Attached: ! !.jpg (640x480, 43K)

also

>Why can't you just admit Xenogears is far more epic in scope than Planescape?
when did I deny this? everyone knows XG is more epic than planescape

>if CT is terrible
But it is.

Combat is mindnumbingly boring. Enemies pose no threat and deal a fraction of the damage the player can dish out. Abilities are incredibly boring: everything either deals damage or heals it. There's literally only one or two abilities in the entire game that inflict a status ailment. Dual/triple techs are boring variations on the same 'do tons of damage' or 'heal tons of HP' template. The ATB system only encourages mindlessly bashing 'attack' as fast as possible to prevent enemies from getting hits in.

There's barely any exploration, it's a time travel game that is paradoxically completely on rails. Your only choice is how soon you want to end the game by teleporting to Lavos, and even that is realistically only a choice on NG+.

It has incredibly shallow writing. Not a single character has a distinct voice, besides Frog's heavy-handed Ye Olde English. Everyone is a walking cliche: the rebellious princess, the geeky scientist girl, the noble knight who's been cursed, etc. We don't even know a single thing about Crono, ostensibly the main character. What does he do for a living? Does he still go to school? Where did he learn swordplay? That's how barebones the narrative is. The setting doesn't make a lick of sense: Lucca, a teenage girl, invented firearms and a time machine in a pre-industrial setting, and we are supposed to take this seriously.

The multiple endings are even shallower than the overall narrative: they're either superficial variations on the same happy ending, or even worse, easter egg/joke endings. They're pointless and contribute nothing to the game.

Time travel is not even used in any meaningful way: instead of traveling back in time to prevent Lavos from becoming a threat, the characters travel forward in time to face him at the height of his power and beat him up. The doom of all mankind, that destroyed a sci-fi civilization, can be punched to death by three teenagers. How does that even make sense?

still a silent young man even if his face his peak chad aesthetic

Attached: 1443459525154.png (200x200, 38K)

they are turn based tactical rpg's with a heavy emphasis on positioning and proper ability usage

C’mon man, this pasta is seriously stale by now.

Deus Ex, first game i was so into i can fully remember the plot, the levels and almost all the dialogue, but i can list quite a few problems.
1. there is only about 10 different npc models and skins, makes it weird that a terrorist orginisation has a perfect uniform for all their soldiers, or when a asian woman in a china dress speaks with a french accent
2. incredibly easy to break a level, a lam on the wall and a box to jump off and you can get over what was supposed to be an impassable fence
3. the weapon choices in the start basically boil down to 1 correct choice and 3 wrong ones, you can find the rest in the same level on enemies
4. very "blocky" levels, the engine it was made on did not like curves in level geometetry
5. npc dialouge is less than superb (I SPILL MY DRINK)
plenty of other problems but i am getting kinda drunk now and blurring my memory, still a great game and i play through it at least once a year for old time's sake

>what are your favourite Western
Gold Box games, as far as I'm concerned they're the peak of western CRPGs

>WRPG
Class differences strongly dictates how the fight plays out. A character with a silver tongue can even cause the boss to not fight, or even can recruit them. Many times the player character can join the boss. JRPG'S don't do these things. They are terrible role playing games.

>when did I deny this?
You're literally trying to spin a false narrativee that Planescape's story is about killing God. One of the reasons why Planescape's story is well-regarded is because it's a small-scale, personal story. But apparently all those people who liked that aspect were mistaken and the story is really about killing God.

You really are deluded.

I thought Yea Forums hates cinematic games yet here we are defending RPGs which are just glorified visual novels

>wrpg
Deus Ex, VTMB
>jrpg
Earthbound, Paper Mario

>C’mon man, this pasta is seriously stale by now.
Yet you can't refute a single thing about it.

Because it's a true. Chrono Trigger is an extremely well-polished game. But it's also very safe, bland and just generally unimaginative and hollow.

listen, I could take the time and argue against all that, but even if I take all that for face value, it's still better than the atrocity of planescape's gameplay

I always thought these pictures were just shitposting and false flagging. I don't think anyone can be autistic enough to unironically make these, even on Yea Forums

>You're literally trying to spin a false narrativee that Planescape's story is about killing God
I'm doing that to show how much of a retard you are for trying to do the same with xenogears

>One of the reasons why Planescape's story is well-regarded is because it's a small-scale, personal story.
a large part is also the world which was copypasted from DnD. Xenogears has multiple reasons why it's loved, the primary characters, the worldbuilding, lore, plot progression, etc. instead of just one thing like planescape.

>environmental hazards are in play

>environments having certain hazards (something virtually every game has) is somehow the same thing as an ntire gameplay system built around hundreds of abilities that manipulate the environment

This is what Xenobladde fans believe. This is their level of intelligencee

Its ok when the Japanese do it

Attached: metal gear solid.jpg (484x484, 66K)

that's great and all, but they are still a factor and xenoblade 2 has far more going on than just the environments, many aspects you ignored because you can't argue against them

>a large part is also the world which was copypasted from DnD. Xenogears has multiple reasons why it's loved, the primary characters, the worldbuilding, lore, plot progression, etc. instead of just one thing like planescape.
What characters, plot progression, and locations in Planescape were copy-pasted from D&D?

MGS gameplay requires more abstract thinking than any RPG Japanese or not rofl.

Post a track from the last RPG you played and say if it was a JRPG or WRPG faggots.
Here's a track from the last JRPG I played.
youtube.com/watch?v=zV1wrdXpij4

Attached: Caligula effect overdose.jpg (1280x720, 332K)

but if you do that you can't pick a side and fight about the games you love. What's the point of playing the games then?

Pasta but I think eventually SE will make a remake of CT or a new one in the series. Meanwhile in the west, you will never get such a thing except for remastering trash.

WRPG fans are very similar to oldfags on Yea Forums who always want to argue about western 2D cartoons despite Americans not having their own 2D animation studio and animators anymore. They act as if they still make them. Its nothing but a fantasy.

I said the world was copypasted, not the characters.

Primary characters are not what's loved about the story of PT, only TNO matters in the story and very little of morte. The plot progression is shit in PT because it throws you with meaningless fetch quests constantly, the biggest one being the goose chase for ravel. Locations are definitely taken from DnD planescape.

>a large part is also the world which was copypasted from DnD. Xenogears has multiple reasons why it's loved, the primary characters, the worldbuilding, lore, plot progression, etc. instead of just one thing like planescape.
Xenogears 'world building' is just copying every single religious and philosophical concept and mashing it up with a blatant Neon Genesis Evangelion ripoff.

Meanwhile, almost everything in Planescape: Torment is actually wholly unique and created for the game. In fact, the game created lore that D&D would later incorporate into thee setting.

>stay out of the cone in the minimap
>abstract thinking

im a Nrpg elitist
Wrpg is shit
Jrpg is shit
No role playing game is great

check out OS2 if you want to see a truly environment and positioning integrated combat system
just because a barebones version of this exists in your game, does not make it remotely comparable

>Xenogears 'world building' is just copying every single religious and philosophical concept
what? the world of xenogears is unlike any of those. Yeah there are influences, but everything is influenced by something

>NGE ripoff
NGE and xenogears are nothing alike, they were also in development around the same time. the relogious shit in NGE doesn't mean anything, they just put it in because it looks cool. Shows what you know

>Meanwhile, almost everything in Planescape: Torment is actually wholly unique and created for the game
what is this nonsense? the game is licensed by DnD and took its world. It may have added some new stuff but largely it took from existing material

Yes.

You're so cool!

>Yea Forums is one person
Shitposting only targets the new popular games because they're new and popular. Though there are lots of RPGs that require strategic thinking, gameplay is more than just action

>Primary characters are not what's loved about the story of PT
You think Xenogears, a game where the characters are cardboard anime cutouts who speak in broken English, has more memorable characters than Planescape, a game where even a generic town NPC has their own unique speech, accent and mannerisms?

>The plot progression is shit in PT because it throws you with meaningless fetch quests constantly, the biggest one being the goose chase for ravel.

>I was too stupid to find Ravel. Why can;t the game lead me down a linear path like all those amazing jrpgs?

>Locations are definitely taken from DnD planescape.
They definitely aren't. The brothel of intellectual lusts doesn't exist in D&D. Neither does the Dead Nations. Or Ravel's Maze. Or the Slumbering Corpse Bar. Or the Fortress of Regrets.

Even when the location was mentioned in D&D (like the mortuary), they still had to create evrything from scratch.

>but I cant for the life of me get into those old isometric ones like Fallout or Baldurs Gate
You might want to try out something else, like the aforementioned Ultima 7 – 8, for the single character experience in a desolate world; I think it's at the same time underrated and condemned for a reason. Jagged Alliance 2, too, if you're into more tactical games (it's really more of a squad based tactical game than an RPG).
There's something about Baldur's Gate that repels me as well, and I can understand not getting into Fallout either, with their clunky mechanics, interface and graphics.

>The only memorable track in the entire wRPG landscape is the elder scrolls theme
That's factually wrong, every single time anyone brings up VTMB, the topic falls on the Hollywood theme. I assume we're disregarding tracks that aren't specifically made for the game, because if we don't anyone who has play the game will immediately hear it in their heads by looking at this image and reading the filename.

Also, could you link some of those memorable chrono cross tracks? I'm genuinely curious to hear them.

Attached: ISOLATED.jpg (604x453, 54K)

oldfagism with shitty nostalgia goggles.

WRPG track, I liked it
youtube.com/watch?v=qzVexHHhh4A

I hope they don't

A true user of taste.

>Jagged Alliance 2, too, if you're into more tactical games (it's really more of a squad based tactical game than an RPG).
It has more role-playing than any jrpg ever made.

hey hey people

>itt I irrationally hate one kind of rpg for no reason
both of the sides are extremely elitist and defensive about their games
>477617637
a lot of this picture is obviously wrong/exaggerated for both games, but specifically
>morte gets minimal development, rest of party may as well not exist
I feel like someone could only say this if they have never played the game. Morte gets huge amounts of development, assuming you had high wisdom.

Yea Forums is one of those select few places on the internet where the game's popularity predates that video
we've been having non-stop threads ever since the xpac came out

youtube.com/watch?v=Rm9PJNF3sE0
youtube.com/watch?v=7md_gd3HuMQ
youtube.com/watch?v=lcxrsaT2nAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=OYqv75ANPik
youtube.com/watch?v=o3gp5XI0XCw
youtube.com/watch?v=JqL4n7SlDB8
I can hear all these just by thinking about them

Attached: 1539731282518.jpg (191x264, 6K)

xenogears has more memorable characters, yes. Who the fuck remembers any of the random NPCs from P:T? Actually on that front big joe and captain of thalmes are more memorable than any P:T npc. Anyway, TNO is the only one memorable because he's the only one who matters. Morte and Ravel are to an extent as well

the matter of finding ravel isn't that it's difficult, it's that it puts the story to a halt for a while. The pacing is fucked

>They definitely aren't. The brothel of intellectual lusts doesn't exist in D&D. Neither does the Dead Nations. Or Ravel's Maze. Or the Slumbering Corpse Bar. Or the Fortress of Regrets.
great, but these don't make up the majority of P:T. After accusing me of being in denial, you sure are doing it yourself when the game is straight up licensed.

sure

youtube.com/watch?v=J46RY4PU8a8
youtube.com/watch?v=ROKcr2OTgws

I don't care about everything else being said itt what's the book dude from he looks cool and he's the only one besides the girl I don't recognize

To have fun?

there are two things that define wrpg fans. one is that they are highly autistic. it's pretty much a requirement for enjoying the genre. the other is that they hate anime. these two things combine to make hate for jrpgs and making up whatever reasons they need for why jrpgs are worse than wrpgs. even though jrpgs usually have shitty gameplay which even jrpg fans will admit, notice that most criticism from wrpg fans is usually about them not being "real rpgs" because they don't have dialogue options or that the settings are too anime and don't have enough "worldbuilding."

Have you got a single fact to back that up?

>implying anyone who played Deus Ex heard those battle themes in game for more than 10 seconds a piece

"Ultima 7 – or 8"
is what I was trying to say.
How so? Not trying to argue, I'd just like to hear what exactly you mean.
In fact, I adore the game. It's also some of the few western games, outside of adventure / point-and-click games, with well-made, clear-cut archetypal characters. And pretty much the best game at that, Western or otherwise.
The only thing in this regard in which it loses to Japanese rivals is the tactical (main) mode graphics, which are functional at best.

Not the guy you are arguing with but
>Vhailor
>not memorable
He may not be a developed character or have much dialogue but fuck if he wasn't memorable
Dakkon was too if you managed to get all his backstory

If you arent highly autistic you shouldn't be posting on Yea Forums

Attached: 1475882323295.png (749x699, 405K)

Does the location of where the game was made define a WRPG/JRPG or is it the gameplay? The former doesn't define the gameplay at all. If the latter, what exactly is "WRPG" gameplay? What's "JRPG" gameplay?

what, you never did a no-stealth, all-gep gun playthrough?

Its good for zoomers. The new FF7 doesnt look bad, which means SE still can make a somewhat decent game, and a bunch of zoomers and kids will play it even if its episodic shit. I dont think they would make a half-assed remake.

I didnt like the first trailer of Legend of Mana remake though. The original was much more atmospheric, dreamy, and comfy. But still it has a decent look, will sell well as an ARPG/JPRG. Its not a bad thing.

>xenogears has more memorable characters, yes. Who the fuck remembers any of the random NPCs from P:T?
I can't remember a single character from Xenogears that wasn't a party member, and even with the party members, I can't remember their actual personalities, just what they vaguely look like. I can't even remember most of their names, besides Fei, Ellie and Citan.

Meanwhile, in Planescape, I will never forget Ingress, the woman who lives every second in fear of accidentally walking through a portal. Or the nameless zombie that asks you to look for her name. Or Mebbeth the midwife, who has perhaps the most touching scene in the entire game (and one that is completely optional). Or that ghitzerai woman who is dying because of smoke poisoning. Or Dhall the scribe. Or all the prostitutes in the brothel of slaking intellectual lust. Or Fell and his tattoo number. I could go on, but I can still vividly remmbr dozens of characters from the top of my head. These aren't even party members, they are for the most part just town NPC that you can completely ignore.

>great, but these don't make up the majority of P:T.
They do. You do realize that while the devs took the concept of Sigil and the Planes, they still had to create all the locations within that world, right?

>>music themes change if you revisit an old area after a plot-critical event (such as when you escape from Unatco)
That only happens with Unatco HQ iirc
NYC, Hong Kong and Unatco themes are memorable

>He may not be a developed character or have much dialogue but fuck if he wasn't memorable
He actually has quite a bit of dialogue. You can ask him to 'judge' each party member, and this leads to some very cool conversations and insights.

WRPG Origins:
>tabletop RPGs
>early attempts to adapt that to PC
>Moria
>Akalabeth
>Ultima
>Wizardry

JRPG Origins:
>"Man, Wizardry sure is fun"
>"I wish it was easier"
>makes Wizardry knockoff with jappy art
>continues doing that for the next 30 years

Why is this even an argument?

Attached: jrpg.jpg (1265x699, 178K)

ITT: WRPGfags/JRPGfags who don't play JRPGs/WRPGs talk shit about their preferred genre's respective counterpart to reveal how little they know.

Attached: but why.gif (480x270, 2.38M)

>That only happens with Unatco HQ iirc
It also happens with New York.

>the absolute newest WRPG ever referenced in this threads is 15 years old
>JRPGs haven't changed since their inception
i always come out of these thinking both genres are shit

my mistake. Seiken 3. Not legend of mana.

>Can't pull undertale or the south park card, as they borrowed from earthbound, and paper mario respectively
Fair, since we get Soulsborne

divinity games are mentioned plenty o times

>>the absolute newest WRPG ever referenced in this threads is 15 years old

>D:OS 2 and Underrail are 15 years old

Kreia defies Star Wars completely, she is a great character regardless of what series she is from.

I know, but compared to other party members outside Ignus he doesn't have much going on beyond his first conversation
All his dialogue is great though, so I don't see how anyone could find him not memorable

Attached: 1565620305338.png (725x84, 121K)

Thank mang, I wasn't too sold on the second one, but the first one is lit.

>>JRPGs haven't changed since their inception
Yeah man Yggdra Union and Tales of Graces play just like Dragon Quest 1!

>You do realize that while the devs took the concept of Sigil and the Planes, they still had to create all the locations within that world, right?
the worldbuilding and lore (the context of this argument) is still rooted in the original source material

>I can't remember a single character from Xenogears that wasn't a party member
if you can't remember jessie or captain thalmes despite the amount of times they appear throughout the game, then your IQ is even lower than I thought

>2017 was 15 years ago

Why do people that tend to prefer eastern games have such a victim complex? Most of these jrpg vs wrpg threads just turn into like 10 jrpg fans ganging up on 1 wrpg fans defending their preferred genre against very obvious cherry picking. Same with people saying that Sony games get unfairly shit on, like what fucking board are you frequenting?

>Divinity

I like how every single wrpg game in the thread is at least 20 years old. Nostalgiatards living forever in the past.

id like to play a good wrpg, but all of the wrpgs they bring up are old school shit. i could play them but their system and pacing are too old. its hard to play now without any improvements.

yeah, modern Ys and Xeno are exactly like their origins

Attached: spongefish.jpg (500x395, 32K)

>the worldbuilding and lore (the context of this argument) is still rooted in the original source material
Planescape actually leaves out most of the lore, so no.

Planescape also creates lore of its own, like the backstory of githzerai/githyanki and the circle of zerthimon. That was entirely created for the game.

There are still some good ones coming out but yes the golden age of the late 90’s to early 2000’s has been over for a while. Kingdom come and Divinity 2 we’re both fine games.

simple bad
complex good
me smart

>incredibly easy to break a level, a lam on the wall and a box to jump off and you can get over what was supposed to be an impassable fence
This is the entire design philosophy you dingus

Xeno games started out as glorfied movie games filled with mini-games and large robots and now its a glorified movie game with almost no mini-games and a small portion of large robots. Doesn't seem like that big a change to me

This like half the time.
Games that are considered the "best WRPGs of all time" tend to have outdated combat, have aged like milk, and are broken from top to bottom in gameplay.

Someone tells this amazing plot that exists in this WRPG and you really wanna experience it but the game itself is burning garbage and the delivery of the plot itself is done just as bad to the point it only sounded good in paper.

Attached: 1459523433293.png (700x800, 518K)

finally someone else recognizes how kino this soundtrack is.

Yes. When people think WRPG they usually think of CRPG, ARPG or Hack and slash. When people think JRPG they usually think lite-RPG.

Really they don’t mean dick though since there are a ton of subgenres in both regions.

>Someone tells this amazing plot that exists in this WRPG and you really wanna experience it but the game itself is burning garbage and the delivery of the plot itself is done just as bad to the point it only sounded good in paper.
Know you know how we feel getting told to play shit like Persona 2

I haven't read your OP because I just came back from work an am tired as shit and I'm also drunk, so I will just respond to the thread subject, which is wrpg elitism, and I will do so by referring to my personal view on the subject exclusively, which might or might not be similar or identical to that of "wrpg elitist" part of Yea Forums.

I generally prefer wRPGs over jRPGs because of a few reasons:
1. jRPGs tend to have either turn based combat system (which I hate with a passion) or a real time combat with all those goddamn flashes, overexaggerated moves, closeups on face doing some dumb impression, some stupid, differently colored(I don't know the word to describe so I will try to explain) kind of paint brushes that follow the path of the weapon, circles of power, little rocks floating over the ground from the sheer amount of mana put into attack, and, the worst of all, fucking shouts in fucking Japanese of all languages (I would accept combat shouts in German because it is a hard-sounding language, but when some dude shouts, in a distinctly japanese matter which I don't know how to describe, some shit like oaionomaoiotematsu I cringe hard as fuck), I just fucking despise all that tryhard bullshit that tries to make the attacks look like they could shatter the universe yet the enemy somehow does not turn into a mist of blood in an instant. It's fucking dumb, the sheer dichotomy between how powerful the attacks look and yet they don't destroy the entire universe and God himself. I fuckind despise that shit.
wRPGs on the other hand (at least good ones) tend to have some basic-looking swings, stabs, maybe sometimes a spin, with a simple brush effect to give a sense of speed at best, and they tend to do considerable damage to opponents.
Cont.

kingdom come looks like a good game, but its not a fantasy or a fiction. i think its an open world game, not an rpg. its akin to way of samurai games.

More accurate JRPG Origins:
>"Man, Ultima sure is fun"
>"I wish the overworld was linear, all the NPC interactions were removed, and all the role-playing aspects were minimalized, possibly removed"
>"Man, Wizardry sure is fun"
>"I wish it was easier, let's make each encounter mash A instead of a life-or-death scenario with lots of strategy, we don't want little Niko here to use his brain! Also let's combine it with Ultima world exploration so now if you walk somewhere we don't want you to, you are instantly killed by level 100 enemies. Yeah, that'll be fun!"

Thus Dragon Quest was born and the genre hasn't evolved since.

>id like to play a good wrpg, but all of the wrpgs they bring up are old school shit. i could play them but their system and pacing are too old. its hard to play now without any improvements.
Wouldn't that be more true of jrpgs?

Attached: 19219219921.jpg (1000x876, 212K)

Then why don't you play literally any of the good JRPG games that come out almost every year? You still have options.

Cont.
2. Aesthetics. Jesus christ how I hate manga/anime style. It looks fucking horrible. Never in the history of our world has mankind came up with an artsyle more repugnant than this shit. Those horrible, big, square shaped eyes. Those stupid light effects (you know, the white dots) on them. Those ugly faces. Those retarded hairstyles. Those lazy as fuck animations. Jesus fucking Christ. And to top it off they're accompanied with terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE japanese VA. Every female sounds like a 9 year old speaking through helium. To even think that there are "humans" that consider them sexually attractive and even FAP TO THEM, fuck me how could humanity fall this low? All males sound like they're trying really hard to appear serious and manly but their voices just aren't, they're too soft and no matter how hard they try,they will NEVER sound like men.
wRPGs on the other hand tend to have toned-down aesthetics, character have more or less human appearance, it isn't trying too hard to be muh cute, it's just characters that can be related to.
3. Story. Literally all jRPGs have ever done falls into one of those categories: the power of friendship, a 6 million years old god who looks like a 6 years old girl having revenge or a bunch of teenagers saving the world. wRPGs have more diversified stories and settings. Granted, there is a lot of dumb, low effort stuff in them too, but on the other hand we have really good wRPGs that offer narratives which touch on philospohical or political subjects from multiple points of view and ideologies, exploring all of them and showing all of them as actual, legitimate worldviews that you can understand why someone could have them even if you disagree with them. And they tend to be written like they are being discussed by adults, not teenagers.

But that's just my personal opinion.

it's a historical fiction rpg mate, since when does an rpg need to be fantasy?

There are none

>WRPG: "Hey, let's try and capture the complexity of tangible consequence from player choice and customization unique to TRPGs."
>JRPG: "Hey, let's do Wizardry for Babies but grindier."
Complex IS good, thank you.
Me definitely smart.
This.

Modern AA(A) CRPGs that are not actually action games pretty much do not exist outside of Witcher 3 (I assume it's a pretty classical RPG; I've yet to play it, honestly). It's almost a dead genre outside of indie and stuff, but a proper modern RPG is much too grand for them.

I couldn't care less if it's a WRPG or a JRPG. I just hate garbage ass "standard JRPGs" like FF, DQ, and Tales. Boring garbage. Now Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma? Now THAT'S a JRPG I can get behind.

>WRPG fans accusing of JRPGs being grindy

Attached: 2a06ed0d431fc40f522dd46d040d59b696deac2f.jpg (616x353, 38K)

Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogmas are WRPGs

so memorable you can't get his name right kek

People are still claiming this shit?

Anachronox, LISA, and Undertale are JRPGs

>good JRPGS
>come out almost every year

Attached: 1443747052068.jpg (250x235, 41K)

That is correct

>System Shock 3
>VTMB 2
>Greedfall
>Cyberpunk 2077
>The Elder Scrolls 6
>Smaller indie games such as underrail
Are we in the renaissance of wrpgs?

Anacrhonox is very much made in WRPG style, its only connection to nipshit is the combat
the South Park Games fit that mold better

I forgot about Baldur's Gate 3

Caligula effect was posted in the thread and it came out this year. It's from the same writer from persona 2.
Labyrinth of Refrain was last year.
SMT Strange Journey redux was also last year.
Ys Lacrimosa of dana also came out last year.
Utawarerumono MoD and MoT was 2 years ago and so was Nier Automata along with Persona 5.

You guys do actually play videogames, right?

Attached: 2 haruhi.png (259x377, 83K)

You dumb autist, he is the strongest being in the game, but no in the universe/setting. He is not a godlike being cause you don't mean any of them in the course of the game.

I'm glad you mentioned Strange Journey because it's the perfect example of the infantile JRPG fan desperate to feel validated
>"This game is so mature?"
Why?
>"The characters are adults!"
And?
>"Uhhh they talk about how bad humans are, look a shopping mall metaphor for greed"

People like Strange Journey for the gameplay though.

You're glad I mentioned Strange Journey because it's the only game you recognized from the list faggot.

Attached: smug robot.jpg (607x613, 131K)

The rest of those games look identical to one another

So you haven't played any of them and this is the best you've got.

Attached: smug queeen.jpg (350x308, 38K)

Asking wrpg fags to keep up with the times and expecting them to know of recent releases is inpossible. After all being obsessed and stuck in the past is what it takes to like wrpgs in the first place.
The genre is mostly dead, and will likely stay like that since almost all western devs are chasing trends instead of doing their own thing.

>darkest dungeon, a shitty game inspired by jrpgs, is somehow representative of wrpgs
Most wrpgs have level caps, or don't even award xp for killing monsters, to prevent grinding.

Demon co-op is aids, it has none of the depth of Press turn and serves to only restrict demon composition in teams

WRPG and JRPG are fucking casual genres anyway, I don't know why anybody pretends otherwise.

>Hong Kong
I personally can't stand that track, and it always gets in my head. Versalife and Area 51 are my faves.

>Anacrhonox is very much made in WRPG style, its only connection to nipshit is the combat

>linear
>no character creation
>no non-combat skills

>"WRPG style"

Nier and Persona 5 were terrible, Your taste is shit.

Play Wizardry, faggot.

Why would WRPG fans keep up with JRPG releases? There's a half-dozen of these samey anime-looking weeb games coming out every year, it all blurs together.

>no non-combat skills
wut? Havent played it in ages but I am 95% sure there were hacking and locking skills
>Implying Witcher is a JRPG

don't bother continuing, you've already made it clear that you're retarded.

Don't forget we have upcoming JRPGs like
>The Alliance Alive HD
>FFVII remake
>Tales of Arise
>Ys IX: Monstrum Nox
>Atelier Ryza
>Shin Sakura Taisen

>I personally can't stand that track
you don't get goosebumps when you hit the 36 second mark?

Attached: 1554613060020.jpg (329x306, 56K)

Fuck all of those my dude, Disgaea 4 is finally coming to the ps4, I've been wanting to play it for years but never had a PS3.

Attached: Laughing Laharl.jpg (853x1000, 181K)

yeah lets ignore the entire gameplay shifts with the exploration and combat

He continued twenty minutes ago. He linked the fucking post.

I love these threads

>wut? Havent played it in ages but I am 95% sure there were hacking and locking skills
There are, but it's closer to jrpg-style mini-games than the non-combat skills in wrpgs. There is no customization either: each character has their own non-combat gimmick.

>Implying Witcher is a JRPG
It pretty much is, yes.

Darkest Dungeoon isn't an RPG, it just has RPG-like combat.

WRPG fans are mostly annoying grognards that seemingly can't enjoy or even recognize other genres as actively and needfully intermingling with the "RPG" to even make a game. I realized that looking at people's opinions on Elex and Age of Decadence.

JRPG fans in big part are retarded weebs that ultra defensively try to find some merit in games such as yet another Senran Kagura game when called out on playing the games merely because of cute girls. Otherwise they're pretty okay and I enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles: X along with some other titles but generally they are pretty shitty and I have no idea why people play them.

so like deus? the entire point is to prove his (or you if that's you) hypocrisy

I think you might be mega retarded

>a silver tongue can even cause the boss to not fight, or even can recruit them. Many times the player character can join the boss
Can you even name one game that does this?

>Both sides are retarded.
Why do you even bother posting?

>senran kagura
>rpg
wut

For me, It's monster girl quest paradox part 3.
Imagine having to actually replay deus ex for the 30th time in your life.

Attached: iv_marcellus2.png (640x480, 333K)

it's fun to rile up ignorant people

Me too :^)
I like both JRPGs and WRPGs but I tend to defend whatever genre I'm currently playing. I'm in a classic WRPG craze right now so I'm shitposting about how shitty and dumbed down JRPGs are even though I really like them.

youtube.com/watch?v=4VlALXxjUz0
Standard battle theme

Attached: 1566361618518.png (1095x1295, 952K)

you need to be locked up

Attached: 15425254245.jpg (1000x563, 244K)

The only comparison that matters.

Attached: wrpg vs jrpg.png (868x470, 798K)

To tell both sides that they are retarded.
That's actually me being retarded, but generally ironic weebs like both JRPGs and action games or similar. Neptunia would've been a better example.

>play fantastic WRPGs released ages ago and the uncommon good WRPG released in the recent years
>play really fun JRPGs, old ones might have been very clunky and had very simple gameplay but good new JRPGs come out often enough
It's that simple, just learn to enjoy videogames

Attached: 1445940935520.jpg (448x419, 29K)

Compile heart actually tries to make better games now though

Attached: packshot-f7b33999c9918e876d492c041d03c7af.jpg (500x713, 158K)

You caught me red handed

Attached: 1439522538118.jpg (600x654, 213K)

I just find WRPG's tend to have more depth in their gameplay. Things like character builds, skills and stats, micromanaging blah blah blah. JRPG's are almost always more shallow in these aspects and have little wiggle room outside of just levelling up your character. For this alone I prefer WRPG style.

Its a damn shame that Wing Commander has become pretty much forgotten

Which ones do you like the most?

you could have just written
>I hate anime

blanket statement. name good "modern" wrpg games. id play them if they looked interesting.

WRPGs are only good for the story and even those are very rare. Bloodlines was such fucking shit and gets paraded around as a marvel of storytelling.
Meanwhile something like Nioh has more combat depth than every WRPG ever made put together but the story requires you to know who every single Japanese historical figure is to even make sense out of.

But there is more to what I've written than hating anime (which I admit too) and you'd know that if you've read my posts. But you didn't. Which I also understand because those were long posts.

I read it and you're retarded

jrpg/wrpg aren't genres

I wasted the entire day playing Fallout 2.
That is all.

Arcanum

>Collecting wolf pelts and navigating through convos with a stupid convo wheel. They rarely diverge from the standard mold.
>You would never see a magic pengel wrpg or other games that branch out.
You're kidding me, right? Japanese developers have yet to make a game with actual role-playing.

Where is the Japanese equivalent of something like Heroes of Might and Magic, which fuses RPG-style character progresion and adventure with 4x-style strategic sensibilities? Where is the Japanese equivalent of something like Deus Ex, a game that seamlessly combines RPG, stealth game, action game and first-person shooter?

Japanese RPGs seem to basically come in two flavors: menu-based combat (usually turn-based) or 3rd person action-combat...and that's basically it. Whereas with western RPGs, the sky is the limit, and there's no limit to what kind of game mechanics they can implement.

>JRPG Thieves can't disarm traps, pick locks, pick pockets, this makes them bad
but then why are JRPG classes so much more interesting than their WRPG counterpart?

you should have just played Fallout 1, it's shorter and better

Greedfall

Thank you for admitting defeat.

>supposedly the best thing about WRPGs is that you can skip 90% of the game
really jogs my noggin

I have already beaten Fallout 1, that's why I'm playing 2.

>Deus Ex, a game that seamlessly combines RPG, stealth game, action game and first-person shooter?
Well, "seamlessly"...

Jrpgs are for boys
Wrpgs are for men

>but then why are JRPG classes so much more interesting than their WRPG counterpart?

Attached: 1378128812.jpg (2000x2516, 768K)

>JRPG thief
>weak melee class that can steal items, but only in battle
yeah, very interesting

Who honestly gives a shit, just play whatever looks to be your fancy and be happy when you enjoy it, or be disappointed and try something else. Desperately trying to justify your entertainment with arbitrary metrics and numbers is how you end up as a bitter fuck, like a lot of people here and on other boards.

But bro you don't getting, picking the "skip battle with funny dialog" option from the menu makes it good..
Did you literally only play Dark Souls and FF? I actually doubt you played even that much.

You either haven't played enough JRPGs or never bothered with putting up a higher difficulty to actually force you to use everything a game has to offer. A lot of JRPGs, mainly the ones who focus on dungeon crawling are very hard to properly play and master and go way past just leveling/grinding even though they do allow a bad player to just waste 5 hours grinding instead of strategizing in case they ever find themselves stuck.
Putting up a higher difficulty forces you to strategize in most games unless you actually don't care about spending the entire week grinding mobs and not progressing on a single-player game instead of just using your brain.

WRPG's in my opinion are very shallow in their gameplay even though they try to overload the mechanics, and by that I mean you can go through most games without using half of what the game has to offer to the point it just makes you beg the question on why such a thing is even in the game.
And when they ARE needed, it feels mostly like a chore than actual interesting gameplay, yes the extra mechanics are very interesting for the actual battle, but i'd rather not have to go through alchemy, enchantment, crafting + special specific builds that feel like they're just there to increase game time just so I can reach the end goal of doing more damage or applying a special effect.

Attached: covenfodusk.jpg (1888x1062, 670K)

>WRPG Fighter
>He hits stuff very hard with a martial weapon
such depth, very interesting

Planescape, Deus Ex, Gothic, Etrian Oddysey in general, Trails in the Sky, Witchery 8, Radiant Historia
Would also mention the Ys series but it's barely a RPG even if it's called an action JRPG
Those are probably my favorites, what about yours?

Attached: 1495477599692.jpg (381x264, 36K)

>WRPG's in my opinion are very shallow in their gameplay even though they try to overload the mechanics, and by that I mean you can go through most games without using half of what the game has to offer to the point it just makes you beg the question on why such a thing is even in the game.
In my experience this more accurately describes jrpgs. For example, in every jrpg I played, bosses were arbitrarily immune to status ailments, and random eencounters go down too quickly from normal attacks, so status ailments are effectively useless, whereas in wrpgs, bosses usually have no artificial immunities and status ailments tends to be far more useful than damaging attacks even on non-boss enemies.

>non-linear bad

Jesus christ that's fucking sad

That is literally only true in Persona.
Even in FF and DQ bosses could still be debuffed put to sleep etc.
I think you need to play more (or at least a single) JRPG.

You've never played a japanese dungeon crawler have you?

as opposed to a jrpg fighter?

>>supposedly the best thing about WRPGs is that you can skip 90% of the game
It's not "best thing", it's simply a symptom of non-linearity. Which allows for actual replayability and different ways of playing through a game.

Meanwhile in jrpgs, the overworld is shaped like a corridor, conveniently barricaded by mountains and shorelines (and the sea itself is barricaded by reefs, so the game is still linear even when you get a ship) so that you can only proceed down one path, which is inevitably the next plot-critical location, which is typically nestled in some environmental chokepoint so that you HAVE to pass through it and progress the plot before you can access the next part of the world. This leads to very unnatural world design and means there is pretty much no exploration in these games, until you unlock the airship near the end of the game, at which point you've already been forced to traverse pretty much the entire game world in a linear fashion. This is NOT good design.

Classic Experience or Oddity?

Attached: Underrail Experience.png (1920x1080, 2.42M)

>Right
>well known

no

>I only played FFX once

It feels like bosses in FF tend to have their ability to have status aliments inflicted on them decided by a big old lottery wheel. How would you guess that pretty much every status ailement that isnt darkness will fail pretty much every time on all the FFX bosses?

>For example, in every jrpg I played, bosses were arbitrarily immune to status ailments
Play something else than SMT/Spin-offs, the pic I just posted is a boss that needs to first be de-armored through a specific spell you have to find in the game for you to actually start damaging it and you can use ailments/debuffs on it, in fact, it is encouraged to do so.

>Greedfall
well i know that game but its more of an arpg. like soulsborne series. usually people dont count an arpg game as an rpg on this thread.

these comparisons read like "but could anyone defeat X?" posts

basically wrpgs are bad games but wrpg fans don't care and actually want them to be bad. let me explain with a tl;dr blog post:

when I was a kid I didn't have any consoles except for the n64 so I could only play wrpgs on pc. I had baldur's gate and spent tons of time on it. I would spend hours building a party and then use a save editor to make everyone max level and then blow through the tutorial level and start over again. I never actually beat the game until I was much older, and when I did I realized that the actual game was shit and that I was playing the only fun part when I was a kid. the reason that wrpgs are shit is because they put all their effort into being something they can't.

I liked baldur's gate so much I bought the ad&d rulebooks from the local hobby store. I didn't have any friends to play with so I printed out a module and set up all the character sheets on the kitchen table and played musical chairs with myself as the dm and all the pcs. of course it was fucking retarded, but this is what every wrpg is trying to be. tabletop roleplaying games are awfully designed games only a few levels above chutes and ladders, but people still have fun sitting at the table with friends. wrpgs and their fans are obsessed with the game elements like rolling to hit and deciding what to say to the shopkeeper, but miss out on the fact that they're the retard sitting at a table alone playing d&d with himself.

on the other hand jrpgs are completely aware of what they are. they put a lot of focus on character interactions and voice acting so players can pretend they have friends. they have dating sim elements far more advanced than "romance" in wrpgs. wrpg players claim that jrpgs never innovate, but new games like persona 5 can barely even be compared to old ones like dragon quest 2. on the other hand wrpgs like pillars of eternity are making the same mistakes games 20 years ago were. wrpgs will always be shit until their fans stop making them shit on purpose.

Warriors can often equip a wide variety of weapons and armor as a trade-of for their lack of magic or other special skills.
That's the whole point of the class, it's a specialist.

>I have never played Dragon Quest

It's obvious that a game's setting should inform its gameplay. But jrpgs really don't do this. Even jrpgs that take place in modern or futuristic settings, such as Persona or Xenoblade, still revolve around typical high fantasy cliches like dungeon crawling and god-killing shenanigans
This. Persona 3 is set in urban Japan yet everyone insists on using medieval weaponry. The most jarring example is Junpei, he likes baseball, why not just give him a baseball bat? Instead he just carries around a greatsword and wields it like a baseball bat. It’s bizarre and done only out of a desire to fulfill convention and cliches expected with the genre

Good tastes. For me, it would have to be Fallout New Vegas, Mass Effect, VTMB, Morrowind, TWEWY, Devil Survivor (and SMT in general, really) Tales of the Abyss, Dragon’s Dogma, Bloodborne, and also Radiant Historia.

Attached: neku thumbs up.jpg (1136x640, 114K)

Oddity is pretty much a joke mode

The appealing of Deus Ex HE&MD was the Augmentations and Sniper rifle.
Killing without being noticed is very fun. Hell, there were too few Dvalis and gangs to kill. I wanted to headshot while invisible more! I hate the CONCEPT of pacifist run.
It would be better if MD had an burger mod to summon weapons and such.
I would like to have the silenced lancer rifle from start with infinite battery.

But I would pick JRPG for the RPGs.
I felt zero sexual attraction from all the female characters.
The story is not that impressive.
The only difference is photorealism and it does not change the plot itself.

>on the other hand jrpgs are completely aware of what they are. they put a lot of focus on character interactions and voice acting so players can pretend they have friends. they have dating sim elements far more advanced than "romance" in wrpgs. wrpg players claim that jrpgs never innovate, but new games like persona 5 can barely even be compared to old ones like dragon quest 2.
Oh yeah, just look at all that innovation in Persona 5. It even has a silent protagonist, just like Dragon Quest 2.

Attached: 121020233424.jpg (2000x1884, 919K)

>kefka is not well known
this is legit cope

You just had to go and pick the most Based option

Attached: 1521051074985.png (318x328, 141K)

are you implying persona 5 doesn't have extensive voice acting or character interactions

>>I only played FFX once
And why would I play it again? The non-existnt exploration? The cringeworthy story (now with an added al-bhed translation for evne more garbag writing)? The braindead combat, still utilizing something as archaic as invisible random encounters?

He doesn't actually play videogames.

This is bait.

Comparing old games to new games is cheating
Modern Western games don't do any of this

JRPGs can’t decide if the player character is pre-defined (ala Nathan Drake) or a creation and extension of the player (ala tabletop) so they just combine aspects of both with neither of the advantages. You don’t get the characterization you can take advantage of with a pre-defined character and you don’t get the freedom of choice with a player-defined character. You get a Frankenstein mishmash of a character created for you that is somehow supposed to be a reflection of you

as far as Final Fantasy games go FFX was like the hardest of them since 4

A JRPG Fighter will have a multitude of skills that have a situational use, an attack that hits three as hard for reduced accuracy, a low damage high critical attack, a multi hit attack, a self buff and debuff attack up def down, an armor penetrating attack, etc.

WRPG Fighters are descended from DnD Fighters which are generalists and are why casters are always better past the first hour or two of a WRPG. You want any specialized class you have to dig something out of a DnD supplemental book of prestige classes.

>are you implying persona 5 doesn't have extensive voice acting
This is noteworthy how exactly? Every modern RPG has voice acting.

>character interactions
Persona 5 doesn't have character interaction. Your character is a silent protagonist, he can't interact with anyone. What's more, it's less interaction and more characters repeating the same things OVER AND OVER again.

>p5 cutscene
>1 hour+
>then several days are wasted rexplaining what was originally said
>then daily texts
>then forced to sleep
>then more re-explaining things when in dungeon

Characters repeat the same concepts over and over.

Mona: "So when you take over a palace, you can change their heart."
Skull: "What?!"
Mona: "Yes, taking over a palace will change their heart"
Skull: "Their heart?"
Mona: "Yes, take over the palace and their heart will change in real life"
Skull: "So we can change their heart?"
Mona: "Yes, when we take over a palace their heart changes"
Skull: "If I'm hearing you right we just gotta take over this palace to change their heart"
Mona: "Thats right. Once the palace is ours their heart will change in real life"
Skull: "This makes no sense!"
Mona: "Not to you, but once we take over a p...

>implying JRPG characters can't have characterization

Attached: Cloud-FFVIIArt.png (456x544, 181K)

>Modern Western games don't do any of this

Attached: Harrim_Dialogue_Check.jpg (1920x1200, 230K)

I don't disagree that persona 5 sucks, but it most definitely has a large focus on VA and character interaction

>Cloud
>example of good characterization

Attached: 1549113925114.png (480x480, 91K)

>it doesn't count if I don't like it

In case you don't already know, this is how this guy argues:
>WRPG does this JRPG doesn't
>But JRPG XYZ does do that!
>JRPG XYZ does not do it like WRPG does, therefore the example is irrelevant

You're trying to argue against a brick wall. I genuinely don't even know why he comes here, it's like a street preacher that somehow shacked up in your crawlspace.

The left image just looks fucking ugly.

>>it doesn't count if I don't like it
Cloud is a terrible character, and it's because his entire personality revolves around a shitty M. Night Shyamalan-esque plot twist.

For starters, before the twist is revealed, Cloud doesn't show any indication he has assumed Zack's persona, so the end result is that he goes from being a taciturn hero who has internalized someone else's memories as his own without realizing it to...a taciturn hero who outwardly appears the same, but apparently has resolved all those deep-seated issues, no really, believe me.

Furthermore, what is even the point of the whole Nibelheim incident? Cloud goes from being a heroic person (which he clearly is, judging by the flashbacks where he rescues Tifa twice and defeats Sephiroth) who failed to qualify for the elite squad of the evil cyberpunk regime (i.e. not a group you'd want to join) to assuming the memories of...Zack, another heroic person who did qualify for the elite squad of the evil cyberpunk regime. As far as catalysts for mental breakdowns go, this comes across as very pedestrian in the grand scheme of things. It's like the writers wanted to have a plot twist and an identity crisis, but couldn't think of any compelling material for such a storyline.

Another big issue that FVII suffers from is the dialogue. Everyone in FVII communicates in very basic English sentences. Despite being a group of misfits, some of which aren't even human, all of the characters have very nondistinct and same-y styles of speech (besides Barret's Mr T impression, which is another mistranslation and butchering of his character). Since there's also a weird lack of voice acting (not even grunting noises for taking damage), characters don't feel like particularly distinct individuals.

Attached: 1551998688553.png (680x680, 124K)

Correction, Modern American games
Europe still makes good games

I wish there were more Yea Forums infographics like OP's where it's not exaggeratedly biased/skewed to one argument, and presents both sides fairly.

Okay, so does anyone have any good WRPGs to recommend to me? I have a PS4, Xbox One, and a 360.

>The left image just looks fucking ugly.
You mean you don't like the UI covering most of the screen?

Attached: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 UI.webm (1280x720, 2.95M)

Do you have a prewritten script for fucking everything, you titanic autist?

Yea that, and flying numbers of course, brrrrrr flying numbers.

Attached: 1450747612745.jpg (1784x3926, 2.75M)

>implying JRPG characters can't have characterization

Attached: D1_Laharl_08_Bust.jpg (853x1000, 317K)

>Implying JRPG characters can't have good characterization

Attached: Haku_Game_Portrait.png (350x404, 142K)

>Correction, Modern American games

Attached: 4eb2b9f7c0136c00-600x338.png (600x338, 341K)

Cloud is not a character

>WRPG Fighters are descended from DnD Fighters which are generalists and are why casters are always better past the first hour or two of a WRPG. You want any specialized class you have to dig something out of a DnD supplemental book of prestige classes.
I was thinking about Wizardry. High level fighters are moving bunkers that can dual wield hammers and hit 6 times per turn.
Since they have no magic they end up being more specialized than advanced classes since they spread out their points across more disciplines on level up.

Never played either game, going to throw a Devil's advocacy at this paste: what about the plot, player choice, branching progression and resolution of the world and setting in each game?

>Space Fallout

Attached: 1548580487210.jpg (524x380, 37K)

>not posting the best characterized JRPG protagonist

Attached: mario.jpg (225x225, 9K)

>well you see, if you ignore the core aspect of a video game wRPGs suddenly don't become horrible

The modern Shadowrun games all use skillchecks

>NOOO! THAT DOESN'T COUNT
pathetic

Telltale games are WRPGs last line of defense agaisnt being forced to realize they're bad games.

Attached: RPGS.png (800x800, 67K)

Is is game fun or is it just disgaea grindan?

Attached: mk2.jpg (1024x768, 164K)

It doesn't count because your choices won't matter

did they really have to do the KYAAAAA BAKA HENTAI scene 3 fucking times in the first 2 hours?

>you mean two games with better gameplay than planescape?
And this is FFV, which isn't quite as bad as those two. FF6 and CT are even more braindead by comparison.

Attached: Final Fantasy V.webm (780x540, 2.93M)

I have mixed opinions on this tier list.
First off, swap Ultima 4 and 6.
Never played Advanced D&D, were they really that good? Same with Might and Magic.
I don't think Morrowind and Wizardry 8 were that great but whatever.
Gothic 2 should be lower.
Fallout 1 and 2 should be lower.
Bard's Tale should be higher.
Classic Wizardry games should at least be in mid except for 4 maybe.
Oblivion should be higher.
Arena should be in Shit tier.
I liked Dungeon Siege, fuck you.
The shit tier seems reasonable in my opinion, nice job.

>3 fucking times
Refresh my memory on this, Kuon never got caught when she peeped on Haku.

Attached: scared but also an erection.jpg (1920x1080, 162K)

Both but the grind is way less than the average disgaea game.

Coven of dusk is a bad example. It was so easy and tedious I couldn't even finish it.

I haven't even played a quarter of them, I just saved it to know which WRPGs I should play next and the user wanted recs so I thought it was a good idea

>It doesn't count because your choices won't matter
Why are jrpg fags always reduced to incoherently rambling messs when someone points out obvious facts (e.g. wrpgs have a greater emphasis on player agency)?

Attached: jdrx0f0gtqe31.png (1079x802, 977K)

hehe it's the angeldemon

I remember Skyrim and Fallout 4 "letting you kill whoever you want"
Stop being a gullible fuck

Attached: 1467801572803.jpg (548x425, 28K)

>Telltale games are JRPGs last line of defense agaisnt being forced to realize they're bad games.

Attached: 12382813821.jpg (738x302, 106K)

I'm sure it was user, you must have played the game and found it easy and tedious. You do know no one calls the game coven of dusk, right?

Attached: smugy.jpg (379x364, 20K)

>still not posting the best characterized JRPG protagonist

Attached: B0E2KB9CUAMv3Bs.jpg (471x379, 22K)

>Might and Magic and Wizardry low tier
who made this shit?

>Bethesda, which releases a new RPG roughly once every decade, is now representative of every wrpg ever
Desperate much? There are dozens of wrpgs released in the last few years with such a dialogue system. Why are you ignoring those?

Might and Magic 3, 4 and 5 are peak quality WRPGs

Attached: mm5-dos5.png (320x200, 32K)

well then name modern good wrpgs. western devs dont make it anymore. inb4 greedfall. thats an arpg like souls series.

Reminder that this is what people who complain about JRPGs are like

Attached: grind.png (1880x2166, 490K)

What does that make jrpgs then, considering they don't let you kill anyone, much less anyone critical to the plot?

Fallout New Vegas allows you to kill anyone, by the way.

Well, I don't speak moonspeak

Obsidian hasn't made a good game in ages
>There are dozens of wrpgs released in the last few years with such a dialogue system
None of them American

Question, have you ever actually revised your points and images upon being proven wrong about something or do you think every one you've written is objective, infallible truth?

>None of them American

>Pillars, Shadowrun, Stygian, Outer Worlds aren't American.

FF players are a particular brand of stupid, only in that fan-base could people become deluded into thinking that not only was the Junction system of FF8 complex. But that it was good and better than the other gimmicks FF had done

Ok

Attached: Miki_eating_a_jelly_donut.gif (128x128, 186K)

>Question, have you ever actually revised your points and images upon being proven wrong about something or do you think every one you've written is objective, infallible truth?
Yes, I've revised my images several times, to include more negative aspects of jrpgs I overlooked on the first time I made the images.

Attached: 1552254448683.png (512x288, 98K)

I haven't had to grind in an RPG in over a decade. Grinding is a crutch for retards

ironically Tir might be the most tortured character on that list

Attached: 45778cb9ca3d157f5314f218cde7d825.jpg (450x503, 62K)

Here let him make it easier for you
>GOOD games

>the character who shrugs of the death of his father and best friend like it's nothing
>most tortured

I played until halfway trough the cave with the trolls and the it required no strategy whatsoever. After that point I was bored and stopped.
But I guess Refrain or something is better. I had honestly forgotten which of the titles game first.

I prefer 6 and 7 for the interconnectivity with the story of Heroes III (and M&M3 come to think of it) but they're all pretty great.

>moving the goal posts
The discussion was about dialogue systems. Now suddenly those games don't count because they don't fit your subjective criteria?

Yes user, i'm sure you played the game and it required no strategy whatsoever.

My point ultimately was about good games
America doesn't make good games

>WRPGs enjoyed
Dragon Age Origins
Fallout New Vegas
Knights of the Old Republic II
Morrowind

>JRPGs enjoyed
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre
Disgaea 2
Dragon Quest 9

Omitted anything more action than RPG (Soulsborne, Dragon's Dogma)

Thanks, I don't know why I expect anything else, but whatever.

of course he does. he also spams the same shit on reddit.

This.
I like both. but a good old fashioned WRPG is really fun.

Damn, Deus Ex had some bangers. I should play it

>knowing this pasta gets posted on reddit
>assuming that pasta is always posted by the same guy

Attached: 1371293033804.jpg (316x470, 27K)

>dragon quest 9
spent fucking hours running around collecting shit for the alchemy system. i wish more games had an alchemy system like that
not necessary required to beat the game but gives some nice bonuses

How many games other than Makai Kingdom and Labyrinth of Refrain let me play as a Necronomicon looking book? NIS gave me the weirdest and most specific preference for instant protagonist kino.

Attached: LoRCoD_Luca.png (759x1565, 539K)

Let's turn this shitshow of a thread around
So Yea Forums, what RPG are you guys playing currently?
How are you enjoying it?
Any RPGs that you're excited to play in the near future?
Doesn't matter if it's Western or Japanese, just have fun talking about games.

A friend urged me to play through Persona 4 as my first Persona game, I haven't gotten past the introduction/tutorial stuff yet, but I'm excited to see how the game plays out. Music is really comfy too.
I'm curious about trying some of the mainline SMT games after this one, any recommendations?

Attached: 1549100513466.gif (210x94, 312K)

i want to play a funny sjw wrpg.

Maybe you think autoattacking is strategy.
Not that this isn't going anywhere since you are either convinced that I am lying anyway or just shitposting for your own amusement.
Have a last (you)

How do you guys find the energy to repetitively shit on things you clearly don’t want to change your mind on and just have a strong bias against? I’m in my early 30s but I bet some of you guys are approaching my age. How do you come back from work and do this again and again? Wouldn’t your time be better spent discussing the things you love?

I enjoyed the simple story, and creating my own party. Alchemy could be busted if you put in the grind work

I really wish more games used whatever that UT soundfont was called

Attached: 1541218299010.gif (491x704, 3.22M)

well. as im saying over and over again, but in the first place therere no "modern" wrpgs. its really a few. you could find out some indies that nobody is playing but thats all.

this thread is about old wrpgs vs all jrpgs.

>There are no modern wrpgs except for those modern wrpgs I refuse to acknowledge

Attached: 1400947063265.jpg (600x857, 85K)

>wrpgfags say wrpgs are great because you can roleplay however you want
>wrpgfags say jrpgs are shit because you're forced to play as an edgy teenager
>there are no wrpgs with dialogue options or character customization that let you roleplay as an edgy jrpg teenager
explain this wrpgfags

Actually playing as books is pretty rare, can't think of anything else. NieR has a book sidekick that you control simultaneously as the main character, but I guess that isn't really what you are looking for.

Attached: NieR.jpg (792x1224, 244K)

Just started the original Breath of Fire. It definitely has a bit of early 90's JRPG stink to it but it isn't bad so far.

Making it not blatantly obvious would be a good firdt step.

Thanks user, i'll treasure this very special (you) from someone who autoattacked enemies that can wipe your entire party, beat the witch from the second level by only autoattacking and certainly autoattacked the flies from the cave that destroy your equips among a few other things.

Attached: hehee.jpg (300x303, 20K)

What about a Western Jrpg?
Are there even Japanese Wrpgs?

Attached: Save_the_Light.png (1280x854, 997K)

Fable exists

>on the left
An outsider from society has to uncover a conspiracy pertaining to their creation
There, I can be reductionist too (though VTMB might not count, never played it)

zetta is such a chad
he got a loving wife and child and his own world

Attached: 1879415.jpg (639x638, 68K)

then why dont you bring good modern wrpgs here and shill for them. you are just talking about the same old school shit over and over again

I’m playing a mix of Bloodborne, TWEWY, Witcher 3, and FFX. Currently thinking of playing Divinity Original Sin 2. As for your question, SMT Nocturne and SMTIV are good starting points. If you want something that’s a mix of Persona and SMT, you should also try out Devil Survivor as well.

>WoW
>memorable soundtrack

I don't believe you peter

Because I can only post about Shadowrun so much before everyone realizes I am the only one that cares about them

Undertale is prolly what I'd call a "Western JRPG" in that it takes the eastern RPG conventions and tweaks them through a burgerman's POV. Anything that's in homage to JRPG's but not developed by japs basically.

>Are there even Japanese Wrpgs?
xenoblade x is probably the closest

habeeb it

The SaGa games are basically Japanese WRPGs

>Western Jrpg
>Japanese Wrpgs
This thread somehow got even more retarded

Attached: ddd71f.jpg (935x891, 54K)

WRPG-kun is such an amazing case study. He is essentially a JRPG character desperately trying to break out. Think about it, he endlessly repeats everything, barely needs input because he'll just argue with himself and thereby let the 'game' play itself, incapable of change, incapable of reassessment, and static to a ludocrous degree. He's a sentient JRPG character who keeps looking out the window and sighing how one day he'll be a WRPG character and will at least have branching dialogue.

Attached: wGJgmg46Qb.jpg (650x650, 64K)

It's pretty shit, and the music is garbage compared to any JRPG

I can barely muster the motivation to start even simpler games nowadays, but I am slightly exited for SMTV.
>I'm curious about trying some of the mainline SMT games after this one, any recommendations?
There are several to choose from. SMTIV has a similar combat system to persona in that hitting weaknesses gains you extra turns. Nocturne is harder and has less QoL features, but is a classic due to it's amazing atmosphere
Strange Journey is a fan favorite that has a different combat system closer to a traditional dungeon crawler. Here hitting weaknesses lets the rest of your party get an extre generic hit in. I hate the game, but I am an outlier.
Soul hackers is supposed to be another good one extremely similar to the older games with an even more traditional DRPG combat system. Cannot really comment on it beyond that though.

Attached: smt life stone.jpg (480x3408, 742K)

lol here's a (you)

Attached: 1566737227187.png (600x600, 462K)

WRPG fans are the dumbest people alive, they have to be to enjoy that shit

Here's a JRPG track to make you mad
youtube.com/watch?v=8201LMlcAZU

Then what do you call games like Fell Seal or Stick of Truth that are very clearly emulating a specific JRPG title

>what RPG are you guys playing currently?
Dragon Warrior and Wizardry both on the NES.
Dragon Warrior is alright, pretty boring to be honest, the grind is absolutely insane. I'm not cheating in anyway so I'm getting the "true" Dragon Warrior experience.
I fucking hate Wizardry but I love it at the same time. It took me a while to figure out how to play, plus I figured out the hard way that everything you do is permanent, no takesy backsies. This game is really fucking hard in the best way too. Every battle is life or death and the combat system is suprisingly in depth. Dying really fucking sucks though, since you have to send out a rescue party to retrieve your dead party's corpses, hope you didn't die terribly deep in the dungeon! It doesn't help that reviving is expensive, apparently your characters can permenently die too. Every status effect is sucks in this game, fuck poison in particular, plus every chest kills you because fuck you; you learn very quickly to leave chests alone in this game. I'm actually mapping the dungeon out with a pen and paper which I was dreading but it's actually pretty fun. It would be tedious, but the game actually throws obstacles in to fuck up your mapping, so there's a lot of strategy when mapping out the dungeon. It's not for everyone but I see why this game was so popular.
>Any RPGs that you're excited to play in the near future?
I don't know, I just pick-up and play whatever. I'm thinking of buying Dragon Quest 11 though, I liked the demo alot.

Weaboo in the literal sense

>Implying you do anything in Wizardy but tiltowait niggas

Here's one game to prove you wrong on all of your points.

Attached: Darklands What I expected better quality.jpg (1596x2702, 1.37M)

WRPGs

I thought Yea Forums had gotten over making these EYE tier PEG images

well the OP thinks wrpg is a legit vidya genre, at the least.

the left really can't meme.

Playing Darklands. I know I already shilled it in this post but I legitimately can't understate how great of a game it is. I just hope it gets enough attention for a few dedicated modders to make a port of the game like X-Com fans did with OpenXcom because it's probably one of the deepest RPGs I've ever played and the only one that does a historical dark fantasy setting justice.

Attached: Heretical Village.jpg (640x400, 63K)

The game looks like ass though, so you can't prove him wrong on all points.
Can't shit on anything else though, barely played it.

>""""Left""""
>Cleary glorifies Christianity Templars and Crusaders in that image
Dude what

>dos game

its pretty much retro gaming.

>what I played
>a medieval RPG from the dark ages
>what I expected
>a medieval game with bad graphics and a conqueror mc
>what I got
>a medieval game but with 40 images to say so
Am I missing the joke or something?

it was a different time, christians were leftist compared to pagans and muslims

Did you retards fall on your heads or something?
"WESTERN" Role Playing Games, meaning role playing games designed in the west

"JAPANESE" Role Playing Games, meaning role playing games designed in Japan

I swear to fucking god. This board is getting stupider by the day.

Bowser is unironically more compelling than all those WRPG protags, I'm not even joking here.

What even are those games, are they really worth playing? I'm interested in playing JRPGs from PS1/PS2 era that I missed, but this new shit looks like a derivative of a derivative of a derivative experience.

That's probably the same for everyone in these threads.

at least post something good like FFT

Attached: 1564439024706.png (829x475, 431K)

>good like FFT
lol

yeah

Problem is that those aren't genres worthy of discussing then. We would expect a FPS developed in Japan to be roughly similar to one developed in the west, while the terms JRPG/WRPG usually mean that the gameplay is different.

Attached: 1378136300762.png (360x867, 340K)

>The game looks like ass though, so you can't prove him wrong on all points.
Yeah true, I exaggerated on that. But I feel the minimalist visuals help to immerse in a dark fantasy historical medieval setting. I'll also admit the music is nothing special but you can replace it with any church/choir/medieval music and it might as well be the soundtrack of the game. Still I am shilling this game because it's an underrated gem like I said in this post I didn't make the image but some of the images have hidden meanings
>Old Man with pictures of younger self = Real-time Ageing mechanic
>References to obscure historical events like Hussite Wars
>X-Com cover because of a gameplay similar to X-Com but with RPG mechanics
>Knight fighting Dragon because that happens a lot in the game
>Tons of monastery images because you go to monasteries for knowledge and to train yourself on saint knowledge
>Praying images because praying is a literal superpower in the game
>Alchemy images because of in-depth almost autistic alchemy mechanic
>Poster of Marketa Lazarova because of the pagan wars in this game
>Templars worshipping Baphomet because you literally fight heretical Templars in the game.
Etc
It's all references to some of the cool details and events that the game has that most historical RPGs don't really get into.

Also I think the guy that made the image stated in one thread that he added as much as possible to reference how autistic the manual is and how it's basically the size of a fucking history book with how much information is cramped inside, which I can agree on.

Attached: Witch Darklands.png (528x401, 29K)

JRPG doesn't just mean where it was made, faggot, it also encompasses the design conventions each tend to use. So yeah, it's possible for a Western dev to make a JRPG-style RPG and for a degenerate incel jap to make a shitty WRPG-style RPG (i.e., Dargon's Dargma)

But Internet memes didn't exist back then.

Attached: Confused Samus.jpg (341x354, 35K)

Why would you play Wizardry on the NES when you can't import your character into Wizardry 2 when you finish?

memes are eternal

Attached: 141933884773.jpg (399x295, 21K)

So is it worth playing? Learning curve? It's hard to tell sometimes with this old shit.

Manuscript memes were better anyways

Attached: MS Hunter 251_Folio 62r_DSC_0033.jpg (1200x803, 213K)

They had other kinds of memes.

Attached: Knight vs Snail.jpg (800x435, 165K)

If you like RPGs yes, they're worth playing

That's fine and dandy in all user, but it ever really comes down to aesthetic regardless of how the autistic spergs wants to justify their shitposting

By that same goddamn logic XB2 is a "wrpg" because it's vaguely similar to most KotR

Attached: 1556077891411.gif (250x243, 2.57M)

please play more games

retard

They aren't doofus. Stop making these threads and charts. Make, I dunno, computer RPGs vs Immersive Sims vs SRPGs vs console RPGs charts instead.

It's worth it. But the learning curve is tricky. First off, the greatest advantage you can have before starting this game is to be an autistic medieval /his/fag, if not then you pretty much have to read the whole manual and hint book which when combined are basically the size of a huge history book.

Once you're done with that you need to create your character, add in stats like SpeakLatin SpeakCommon and all that kind of stuff (yes those are actual stats), figure out which saints they pray with, etc. Once you're done with that, grind a lot in the starting cities then get lucky with quests and go hunt down some heretics and demons. Be careful of mines because those have Dwarves and Kobolds who hide traps and other fucking nasty shit that'll get you stuck (I got stuck in a mine in Kutna Hora/Kutenberg because of those little fucks).

Also the game has a copy protection that requires the manual, so unless you know every single Medieval symbol for different Alchemical ingredients, you can't play the game blind.

It's worth playing if you're willing to go down some autistic hoops and if you like medieval history enough to play through it, then it becomes pretty fun and immersive

Attached: Templar Knights.jpg (358x420, 81K)

I dont see the connection between XB2 and Kotor besides maybe the world map screen

Except it literally fucking does you dipshit. This thread wouldn't even fucking exist if magically every JRPG was made in Sweden or wherever the fuck.

Attached: 1533745026263.jpg (480x480, 26K)

That's the goddamn point you mong, hence what "vaguely" means.

I am not making these threads and charts, I'm just arguing to kill time and hoping someone namedrops a decent game I haven't played yet.

And yes, I would very much prefer if there were better terminology for discussing these games.

Attached: 1406996423130.png (184x161, 25K)

What do I have to say that the only JRPGs I like are Growlanser Generations and Koudleka? Because God fucking forbid I like something popular

Asking since I always enjoy the idiotic Disgaea atmosphere but I lose interest as soon as I reach a roadblock. I hate replaying missions for exp.

I've heard mixed opinions on the character import gimmick. If I'm interested in playing Wizardry 2, I'll probably play the NES version which allows you to create new characters and is rebalanced as such. If the import gimmick is really worth it I'll replay 1 on the SNES or another platform if there's a better version.

The only real JRPG.

Attached: 1568226882675.jpg (637x479, 70K)

A few more things I forgot to mention

Every skill has some kind of gameplay importance, Latin means you can speak to nobles, alchemists and monks far more easily since they are snobbish types of people who refuse too speak to anyone that doesn't speak the true holy tongue, speaking common let's you speak to commoners without being looked at as a snobbish prick. Religion is important so you can have a connection to the Saints you learn (each Saint have special abilities and perks that can save you from different situations when you pray for them). Learning to Read and Write means that you can study at monasteries and git gud at alchemy and summoning up Saints. Streetwise and Woodwise help you fight better in urban or rural environments, etc.

Then there's attributes which are just as important where you need to have enough strength to survive in battle and enough perception to be able to aim with a long-ranged weapon, etc. There's a few Steam guides that are useful for understand the game but this one is my favourite: steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=338354302

Remember to beat the shit out of thugs in the middle of alleyways in your starting city before you head out and start questing. Also something useful to note, the city you start with is randomly generated, I got lucky and started off in Prague and got myself quite an advantage, but if you're unlucky you might end up in a worse city, so I suggest to keep rolling characters until you get to a better city. Good luck and keep exploring, you might even accidentally stumble on the endgame.
Oh and one more thing, yes, you do fight a demon Baphomet as the Final Boss.

Attached: Gothic Prague.jpg (800x532, 126K)

>OBVIOUSLY ITS WHERE GAME MADED DUMBUMB
>...w-what's a design convention

neck yourself

Attached: 1BH123a.jpg (543x405, 141K)

Sounds more or less the way I imagine all the old rpgs, totally worth it with deep systems, but more demanding of my time and attention. So basically if I'm willing to put the effort in then it's worth it. I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to playing Darklands but as far as old-ass titles I'm gonna do Ultima Underworld at some point.

>>...w-what's a design convention
this is now a lol thread

Attached: eharmony.jpg (800x599, 42K)

t. fucking retard

A fair choice. It's not the easiest game to get into, but for anyone that wants a lot of depth in an RPG, I'd say Darklands is the best choice. But yeah, Ultima Underworld is a good one as well, I definitely recommend it.

Can you guys stop arguing about nothing and instead post good jrpgs for PC.

emulate snes/psx jrpgs

I wish Till the End of Time was a space opera, or at least had kept that feeling before dropping you on backwood planets for the first third or so. That game came out right around my 13th birthday and somehow my old man remember the name of a random JRPG I wanted and got it for me as a present. I was so ready to embark on an epic scale space adventure (I had never played Star Ocean 1 or 2 so I don't know if that would have changed my expectations) but it ended up being my first major gaming disappointment.

If RPGs made in Japan are JRPGs, then CRPGs are WRPGs, and JRPGs might as well be adventure games compared to CRPGs.

emulate retard, otherwise you really dont have that much of a selection
Grandia 2 is still the best JRPG on steam though

>Dungeon Siege that low
absolutely shit taste, I admit the game has its problems but it deserves way better than to be placed into the same category as shit like Risen

>only western rpg
>made in japan
checkmate wrpgtards

Attached: WildArms3-1.png (633x356, 610K)

no crpg are rpgs made in china

What to emulate then?

does Hard West or that one Western themed Commandos clone count?

I can only speak for the ones in my post, but.
Caligula is a great game with an innovative turn-battle system, the writing is a bit wonky at the start but it really picks up later on, it has a lot of flaws but it's amazing tracks, story, characters and overall game still manages to make it great. It has multiple endings and you can alter the fate of a few characters depending on what you do.

Labyrinth of refrain is basically estrian odyssey but more lore-intensive and less gameplay-intensive, story seems generic and slightly shallow at first but gets deeper and better as you start to realize how the dungeon relates to the real world. Has fun and challenging super-bosses.

SMT Strange Journey is mostly a remake with added routes and content, Strange Journey itself is considered the best SMT by many, so if you know anything about SMT you'll probably like it.

Utawarerumono MoD and MoT is unironically a must-play if you have a ps4 and has ever touched Utawarerumono (First game) before. Mask of deception is a solid great-game without any real flaws except the lack of a real conflict until the end and a set-up for Mask of Truth which is just a straight up masterpiece overall.

I'll refrain from speaking about Nier Automata, Persona 5 and Ys as I believe most people already know about them well enough.

Attached: !classic!.jpg (1050x1500, 364K)