What the fuck were they thinking?

What the fuck were they thinking?

Attached: Sewer Rats.png (1362x743, 948K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/BOUMiEbkZUM?t=1168
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They ran out of animation budget for the helicopter.

You are President Shinra! Your atrocities are greatly known. I have traveled many years and miles to meet you.

This is a reference to something but fuck if I can recall.

>replacing the 1990's retro-futuristic world with generic scifi holograms and shit

This gave me FFXV vibes

A MAN CHOOSES, A SLAVE OBEYS

Was there any hologram shit in the original?

The original is retarded when you think about it.

Big company boss shows up in person a few yards away from highly dangerous terrorists?

Yeah, flying 3D hologram drones in a world that still uses CRTs is a lot more realistic

It makes more sense though

I can't recall any holograms specifically, just weird shit like mutants and robots. They had TVs though.

This has been expressed a million times today, but that was the point of the scene. Shinra had balls. He came to intimidate you while also jerking himself off. His callousness and arrogance foreshadows both how super easy it is to break into the upper parts of Shinra HQ and his death at the hands of Sephiroth

You forgot that this technology DOES exist. Remember Bugenhagen's room?

I always thought that was a visual metaphor, like when Cloud and Tifa would be on screen and talking about their memories in the background.

>Was there any hologram shit in the original?
They did. The presentation in Cosmo Canyon where they explain how the Life stream works uses all sorts of hologram-type shit

They had space travel and shit, why wouldn't they have holograms?

That always bothered me about FF7, and jrpgs in general. The technology and level of civilization is far more advanced than our own, yet the world still functions like a pre-industrial society, with small settlements separated by vast, uncharted expanses of wilderness filled with wild beasts and roving bandits, and characters still using medieval weaponry. What is the point of going with a futuristic setting if it's functionally and thematically identical to a medieval fantasy world?

Jrpg settings are just Tolkien-like worlds dressed up in superficially different skins now that I think about it.

Attached: 1557431557155.jpg (960x728, 59K)

Bitch that's a projector screen on a dome ceiling while a computer runs simulations. That's very different.

>I always thought that was a visual metaphor,
There's nothing whatsoever to indicate its a metaphor.

Why are you so in denial about this and willing to fabricate false facts? For what? Some misguided idea that FF7's setting is something well thought out?

>he steps out of the helicopter
>cloud summons shiva and turns him into paste immediately
come on OP

>This has been expressed a million times today, but that was the point of the scene. Shinra had balls.
So why didn't the characters take the opportunity to kill him and save countless lives in the process? He is literally their arch-enemy.

Oh yeah, because the writers were lazy hacks more concerned with characters looking cool than any sort of coherent character motivation.

Why would you even defend this?

Attached: 1564583123152.jpg (500x359, 30K)

Are you not familiar with Star Wars user? It's been a huge influence on FF series pretty much from the start.

There is no defending it, even when the game first came out that struck me as retarded, and it's even more retarded now. The hologram is fine.

>you are now wicked wutai
ok

This is a good metaphor to show that president Shinra is a much bigger presence than Avalanche. I learned this from the star wars man.

>They had space travel and shit, why wouldn't they have holograms?
Are you fucking serious? They had a fucking rocket that barely left the atmosphere ONCE, that's not space travel, did we have holograms in 1969? You sure you aren't thinking about VIII?

Would you say... 10 Million?

Did we have a cannon the size of your mother's penis that shoots earth energy across the fucking planet in 1969 you spastic?

The boxing game in the arcade used holograms

>There's nothing whatsoever to indicate its a metaphor.
That's why I said "I thought," what the fuck is up your ass user?

Are you forgetting about genetic engineering and robots? That's far more advanced than what we have.

>So why didn't the characters take the opportunity to kill him and save countless lives in the process?
Barret's a bitch ass nigga and a hypocrite, Cloud's up his own ass, Tifa's too far away, also there's a helicopter with guns and a giant robot. Shit even comes up later with Dyne. Barret never has the balls to kill people with faces and names.

Gozuburo Kaiba.

>All these stupid ass niggas saying "BUT THEN THE GOOD GUYS COULD KILL HIM" while ignoring that these same characters just ignore Hojo at Costa del Sol.
Please don't try to justify this big dumb hologram. It weakens the scene for the sake of "logic" in a game that doesn't operate on logic.

Is that Andrew Ryan? FF7 takes place in Rapture?

>this level of mental gymnastics
Even the most vapid peoplee in the world wouldn't pass up an opportunity to get rid of thir arch-enemy. Why the fuck do you think the characters joined Avalanche and are constantly risking their lives? For fun? You must really be a deluded fanboy if you're making up these sorts of excuses.

>these same characters just ignore Hojo at Costa del Sol.
You don't know that because we've not seen "these same characters" go to Costa Del Sol/meet Hojo.

Two wrongs don't make a right, you retard. Yes, FF7's story is filleed with instances of bad writing like that. How does one justify the other?

are you implying they'll cut hojokino

>this game's story is dumb and makes no sense
>plotholes are something that should be preserved instead of fixing it like the remake seems to do

>Scene isn't logical if you assume characters actually have the balls to kill Shinra on the spot.
>Either there's a slight waving of hands or it's saying AVALANCHE can't commit.
>It makes for a great thematic point and visual.

>Game operates on "logic" of how they would TOTALLY try to kill him.
>Lose that great scene, replace with something way more generic.
>This is somehow better because it's...more logical?

>I should make a scene worse to fix a """plothole""" (characters behaving in a way I wouldn't), that's how you fix games.

I hate kids these days who think characters shouldn't make mistakes or do stupid shit since it somehow makes the story bad. You try shooting the president. See how easy it is, even if you hate him.

Balls for what? If you're a member of a freedom fighting terrorist group, killing evil cyberpunk man doesn't take 'balls'. It's what any characteer would do in that position. What great thematic point is made by having characters act like thy're too stupid to live?

You really are deluded.

Why the fuck would they kill Hojo there? They're on a public beach in broad daylight surrounded by people, plus Hojo was willingly providing them with information and said that he had already quit Shinra.

Why does everyone forget that the group is surrounded by armed soldiers and then a GIANT FUCKING ROBOT when talking to Shinra and act as if they had a clear, easy shot at him?

Out of all of the changes, hologram Shinra didn't really bother me, it seems plausible within ff7's world. The ghosts flying around is another thing entirely though.

They probably went over the original script and agreed that
>Yeah, this shit is not going to work

I bet there's going to be a lot of "errors" like that they changed. Reno fighting Cloud in the church as well instead of "Nooo pls dnt step on flower!" "Ohk..." and standing around like a tard is another one.

>Why does everyone forget that the group is surrounded by armed soldiers and then a GIANT FUCKING ROBOT
Oh, armed soldiers and a giant fucking robot? You mean the enemies the characters effortlessly curbstomp in THE FIRST FEW MINUTES of the game?

Or the fact that he baits Barret into barking off a theological argument instead of opening fire.
Or the fact that Cloud actually tries to grab him but can't make it before he jumps on the helicopter.

I'm more curios why those things pulled Tifa away from Cloud instead of just attacking her? Like if the implication is to isolate Cloud from her why not try to kill her?

Yeah the guards Cloud had to run away from because he can fight one at a time, maybe two, but 5+ is way too many for him to actually deal with at once because they have guns and he isn't full anime yet.

I'm sure they would have gotten a clear shot and not also find themselves riddled with holes.

>Did we have a cannon the size of your mother's penis
I think the (trigger warning) Nazis had a big cannon back in WW2 that had to move on train tracks.
Now the President won't get to look Cloud in his eyes and I.D him as Soldier member

>Yeah the guards Cloud had to run away from because he can fight one at a time
In what universe? Literally the first few fight in the game has Cloud effortlessly beating multiple guards.

I want it too be good but, I doubt.

Attached: FF7_EN 2019-06-12 16-23-08-98.png (1440x900, 340K)

>In what universe
This one.
youtu.be/BOUMiEbkZUM?t=1168
Cloud is eventually overwhelmed by numbers and has to run and jump on to the train. If you think the original scene is bad, why not just add more soldiers or clearly define that they have snipers trained on them until the end of the scene?

Oh man, watching that and hearing the music makes me doubt the remake again. There's no way it will be as comfy and fun to play.

there's literally a stealth section in the original VII

Throughout the entire Midgar section soldiers are treated as a threat when in excess of one or two dudes. The fact that they beat up so many is a gameplay abstraction, like how people can die in combat without consequence but not in-story.

Give the game shit all you want for its other stupid bits, but it's at least consistent about what counts as a threat in the cutscenes.

Cosmo Canyon, unless I'm misremembering Bugenhagen's shenanigans.

As already stated they probably just want to avoid people asking why Barret didn't just shoot him. It fits anyway since he loved to flaunt his money and power through fancy new tech like the Airbuster.

Attached: FFVIIR_gameplay_June2019_03.jpg (1280x720, 809K)

Yeah, what's that about? They trying to label Avalanche as some Wutain insurgency assblasted about the war?

You can't kill a man while he's getting a tan. That's just bad form.

You can't just murder people whenever you want

I wouldn't be surprised if the fight with Nero was short and stopped due to the flowers thing.

I meant Reno. I'm thinking of XIV.

Their spinning the story to pin the blame on Wutai so that they have an enemy to unite the people against 1984 style

im just glad that it looks like they are doing Wall Market proper

>Teasing us with Miss Cloud but not showing anything

>The fact that they beat up so many is a gameplay abstraction, like how people can die in combat without consequence but not in-story.
Which is just bad design. Story and gameplay should work together, not contradict each other at every turn.

Attached: 183813281.jpg (2000x1548, 803K)

this, looks awful

If your story was true, then that would mean... You are the chosen one!

Oh yeah? Lifestream that movie if you're so great.

Where is Dr kung pow user
He was the hero we needed

The Fallout example never happens because the player gets blocked into a corner by a party member and rage quits long before they can reach the final areas of the game.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Makes sense.

>Now the President won't get to look Cloud in his eyes and I.D him as Soldier member

What if that still happens but he talks about Angeal and Genesis?

Why are people exactly having a beef with this?

A) Barrett isn't a cold blooded murderer despite his demeanor. He's basically flabbergasted Shinra himself made an appearance the first time. The second time they meet, in the President's office, Barrett struggles to plead his case against Shinra but gets dragged off.
B) Tifa doesn't give a fuck about anything but her own security and comfort.
C) Cloud is a hollow crazy person who wants the president to explain his past.

Shinra's appearance makes complete sense. It was a setup, he's there to gloat, fuck Barrett and fuck Avalanche and fuck you, I'm Mr. President.
He's not anyone's arch enemy except arguably Barrett's and (as character development will show) Barrett has just a mindless hatred for the Shinra-Industrial complex in general and would rather try to shout the president down than blow him away. Also bear in mind they're surrounded by shinra security when Shinra makes his appearance.

Attached: 1562804449203.jpg (878x592, 235K)

>compilation garbage

Attached: 1475925231074.jpg (484x461, 130K)

That's what I'm afraid of, user.

Sure "on a dome ceiling". You mean the "lifestream animations" during Bugenhagen's presentation were projected "on the dome ceiling" as well?
>B-But that was just MUH METAPHOR! I-It wasn't real!

It looks silly, for one. In the original game this was a very unexpected encounter. Shinra strolls out of the reactor you just set to blow up, that conniving Shinra music kicks in and he lays it all down.

In the remake apparently a swarm of techno-robots form a humungous 3D image of the president to illustrate his power and influence in an obnoxious and unnecessary visual metaphor. It's so over the top and unneeded. Compare to his cold and clipped demeanor in the original now he's a GIANT GLOWING MONSTER MAN MONOLOGUING ABOUT A CONSPIRACY WITH WUTAI OH HHOHOHOHOO.

It seems pretty absurd what they're turning the setting of FFVII into, it had a nice run-down dystopian vibe in the original game, but now Midgar is of course a techno-wonderland instead of hastily cobbled together industrial city powered by voodoo.

But him, but you are just prefering one absurdity (showing up in person for rule of cool despite it being dumb as fuck no matter the excuse) vs another (super villain projection by the ruler of the whole world, perhaps compensating for something considering what a manlet Rufus turned out to be for a "son" if he's even really actually his real son), neither which are inherently better or worse, but MUH NOSTALGIA is said to be a rather influencial compelling force.

I cannot believe they are trying to push the Turks over when this still exists inside of the mess that is the compilation, which has Advent Children, which has a scene where Reno is dealt with in the matter of seconds as a joke.

I thought hundred gunner looked really cool!

Attached: 1562866000801.png (453x480, 223K)

>I cannot believe they are trying to push the Turks over when this still exists inside of the mess that is the compilation, which has Advent Children, which has a scene where Reno is dealt with in the matter of seconds as a joke.
Isn't that the point? The main cast grows in strength and while the turks seemed really impressive early on with Reno taking on a whole party, the last 3v3 fight in midgar, if you didn't already use up the owed favor and skip the fight entirely, is pretty damn easy by that point (escpacially if compared to the later bossfight against Heidegger's+Scarlet's super robot).
Likewise you fight SOLDIER 3rd Class in Shinra HQ, then 2nd Class in Junon at CD2, then finally 1st Class on the stairs leading up to Hojo in Midgar, subtly showing the growth in strength.

Underrated

have you ever been around a helicopter you wouldnt be hearing anything anyone is saying around those rotors