This Generation Sucked

The 8th generation will go down as one of the worst generations in gaming. We were promised a "next generation experience", but the only thing that is next generation about this gen compared to the 7th gen is the graphics.
>Gameplay
What about next gen gameplay? It seems to me that 7th gen counterparts of games played better and were more fun. There weren't many gameplay innovations that actually did good for videogames. That's not next gen gameplay.
>Sound design
More generic, less character, either too realistic or too gamey. That's not next gen sound design.
>User Interface
My goodness, software for consoles and PC alike has gotten worse from the 7th gen to the 8th. Buggy, ugly, hard to navigate, unintuitive... NOT NEXT GEN UI DESIGN.
>Social Features
Sure, we got recording buttons and share buttons, but the party systems for the 8th gen are vastly inferior to their counterparts on the 7th gen. 360 Party never broke. X1 Party always breaks. Nintendo and Sony both went to Paid online service. Epic Games Store has none of the niceties of Steam. That's not next gen social features.
>Monetization
Games went from giving you a full package for $60 and then $10 map packs to literally crossing every ethical line there is in regards to monetizing a videogame. That's not next gen monetization.
>Frame rate
We went from 30 and 60fps games to... 30fps and 60fps games. NOT NEXT GEN.
>Storage capacity
We went from storing dozens of games on the hard drive to storing 5 or 6 games. That is not next gen storage capacity, which brings us to
>Download speeds
It seems like games take way forever to download, which is a combination in the slowdown of internet infrastructure growth but also the negligence of developers of properly compressing and conserving their game sizes. These are not next gen download speeds.
>Quality
The review scores for this gen are cumulatively lower than that of previous generations. Games are not quality controlled and the games are more buggy. Not next gen!

Attached: wolfenstein2.jpg (640x360, 41K)

it sure sucks if you're playstation or xbox only player

Better than 7th gen for sure but what do I know, I'm an idort and I actually play games.

7th gen was worse overall. Much worse aesthetics (still going through the growing pains of HD, most have aged almost as badly as early 3D), worse framerates, more gimmicky (waggle, etc). It is true that monetization has gotten worse but it was far from perfect last gen.

This gen has also seen a surge in great indie titles. There's always at least a handful of good indie games coming out each year.

You can't be serious
Sure, there are diamonds in the rough, but cumulatively, gaming has gotten worse

I agree and I'd also add that Video Games™ are a lot like Movies™ right now, rehashes and sequels with no originality.

You must be a Zoomer. The 7th generation was the worst generation since the 3rd generation. There was practically nothing to play except Dark Souls.

>worst generation since the 5th generation
FTFY
2, 3, 4, 6, and 7 were the good gens

which games warrant 7th gen being good?

>CoD MW2
>TF2
>Halo 3
>Dark Souls
>Gears of War (at least 1)
>The Last of Us
>Batman games
>GMod
>Skyrim
>Fallout: New Vegas
>Uncharted
>God of War 3
>Arma 2
>Farcry 3
>Just Cause 2
>Assassins Creed 2
>Left 4 Dead 2
>Portal 2
>Witcher 1 & 2
>Crysis 3
My favorite and nostalgic generation is the 6th generation, I particularly have bad memories of the 7th generation, but even I can recognize that its one of the greats.

Attached: 1522888752204.gif (217x199, 588K)

Pretty good list, why are people whining about the 7th generation again?

Go back to the 5th gen boomer and enjoy your ocarina of soi

>the only good fps games came out at the end of the generation

Doom Eternal and Ion Fury will be the best of this gen.

The only thing that happened were HD remakes. And movies. Absolute waste.

If you can't find at least one thing to like about this gen, you're the problem. Just play old generation games.

t. literal zoomer

I am stating that cumulatively, when you compare the quality of life in the 7th gen to the 8th gen, the 7th gen doesn't jump the shark

>Dark Souls
>Portal 2
ftfy

>Graphics
I barely noticed any improvements over the last generation.

Home Console Generation Tier List (For its Time):

GOD TIER:

Generation 4 (SNES, Genesis)
Generation 6 (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube)

HIGH TIER:

Generation 5 (Playstation, Nintendo 64)
Generation 3 (SEGA Master System, NES)

MID TIER:
Generation 8 (PS4, Xbone, Switch)
Generation 7 (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii)

LOW TIER:

Generation 2 (Atari 2600)
Generation 1 (PONG, Magnavox Odyssey)

Handheld Generation Tier List (For its Time):

GOD TIER:

GENERATION 5 (Nintendo DS, Playstation Portable)

HIGH TIER:

Generation 4 (Game Boy Advance)

MID TIER:

Generation 3 (Game Boy Color, WonderSwan, Neo Geo Pocket)
Generation 2 (Game Boy, Game Gear, Lynx)
Generation 6 (Nintendo 3DS, Playstation Vita)

LOW TIER:

Generation 1 (All the systems before Game Boy)

Attached: 1410391057931.jpg (320x318, 25K)

>if you can't find at least one thing to like about being raped and murdered, you're the problem

the atari gen was fucking amazing circa 1980 1981

The first 100% correct ranking on Yea Forums

>comparing video games to rape

the worst generation of gaming was the 7th generation, hands down.
The 8th generation was a flop for western developers while Japanese developers carried them on their back. Thank god for Japan and their actual creativity.

However, everyone bought a second play station 4 when they release updated hardware for it so they can say it's record lifetime sales and declare this generation the biggest success yet.

fuck off weeaboo, the worst gens are the ones where japan leads

LMFAO this generation is one of the best because of japan, faggot. literally they're the only ones putting stellar games right now while 7th gen had western garbage and japanese garbage.
>W-WEEABOO
when did this turn into "if you like Japanese products you're a weeaboo"? stupid normie faggot.

Is that a mech or just a big guy?

Yikes

video games not anime go trannycoomerfurrypony somewhere else

>he is a 'coomer' discord raiding faggot
WOW! shocking. try harder next time, retard.

fuck off coomer were trying to discuss VIDEO GAMES with both hands on the keyboard

>haha xD do you like my epic meme bro rofl
hilarious. I'll take that as a victory. don't project so hard next time

>be retarded baitfag
>ACTUALLY I'm trying to discuss videogames here
Fuck off, retard.

its okay to like anime its never okay to be a japanese supremacist 7th gen is good now go away

i enjoyed it tbqh

Yeah, nah. 8th gen was a major improvement.

7th gen is objectively the worst. For one entire generation nothing was allowed to be niche and every beloved series was rebooted as a brownish shooter.

MW2, Halo 3, Gears of War, TLOU, Arkham Origins, Skyrim, God of War, Far Cry 3, and Crysis 3 all suck though.

I'd rather have real is brown than what the current gen is with OVERSATURATED DIRECT SOI INJECTION LSD TRIP colors

>Gen 6 doesn't far outclass Gen 4
wrong.

7th gen was pretty bad.
Western devs shit the bed, Jap devs shit the bed HARD, 8th gen is better, but not by a ton.

2B was alright.

Attached: enb2019_9_10_11_16_58.jpg (1920x1080, 279K)

You can only think that way if you only just started playing video games

7th generation was literally garbage.
>call of duty most popular game
>every game and studio tried to copy it
>disgusting brown and bloom shooters everywhere
>graphics look like absolute horseshit
>DLC up the ass
>start of handhold gameplay, markers telling you where to go and what buttons to press
>paid online was established for consoles. Yes xbox live is a 6th generation thing but the 360's popularity made no one question it.
>japanese games were a massive failure, clunky and awkward
>western games were cash grabs and boring as fuck
>360 had a failure rate of 40% and OG PS3s had YLOD up the ass
>wii had a few good games and then literally hundreds of shovelware titles.
fuck the 7th generation, it was absolute cancer.

the start of the 8th generation was awful for both sides but I think around 2014 is when Japanese developers kicked in and have been putting out good titles ever since.

There were still good games to be had, but I'm done with the 'console experience' as we move into digital-only and games as a service as the norm

t. ps4, switch and toaster pc owner.

I'd say 2015, honestly 2014 was one of the worst years this gen alongside 2016 and 2018.

>start of handhold gameplay, markers telling you where to go and what buttons to press
go back and play some 5th/6th gen games because they often did the same shit and it usually was unskippable.

It's the opposite
I don't see how a person who grew up in the 7th gen would see the 8th gen as worse

It's almost funny seeing the console wars of the 00s gradually devolve into just being about consoles in general vs PC gaming. Probably has something to do with the consoles themselves losing the features that made them all different from one another around 6th gen.

Attached: 1560720643314.jpg (1337x990, 302K)

Gen 5-7 is the best gens and define what video games are.
Gen 6 > Gen 5 > Gen 7 > Gen 4 > Gen 3 > Gen 8 > gen 2 > gen 1

Attached: d60843b7dc482741d5758ab61c1cebdc628248e8e101dd3f5f4eff86cdd24a16_1.jpg (896x985, 67K)

It's pathetic seeing people diss the 2nd gen of gaming but noone has actually sat down and played these games

the first four items you listed were offered by VR but we didn't bite
framerate went to 144Hz if you play a PC
storage capacity is a loss because we're exponentially putting in more assets into gamees

swap gen 7 and 4 and i'd agree with that. do arcade games count towards generations?