Why did the Tenchu series fail?

Why did the Tenchu series fail?

Attached: TenchuZCoverArt.png (594x822, 789K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aa2eHDIU4Dc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Too niche, plus the story in the Wii game screwed up any chance for a sequel.

They could have just rebooted it like they originally planned to with Sekiro

It's a shame, Tenchu Z was fantastic.

It was disappointing.

Stealth games are too niche in general.

It's had flaws such as bullshit boss battles but was , to me, an amazing experience at the time.

First 360 game I got every achievement for. This was back in 2010. Came across the demo and I just really enjoyed it at the time.

My biggest gripe with it was the multiplayer. The connection was always terrible no matter what and a lot of the missions you could solo were absent from online.

The rights got transfered from Acquire to FromSoft, and they never really did anything with the IP other than Z.
Acquire perfected the Tenchu formula with Shinobido afterwards and FromSoft went on to make Sekiro so the name Tenchu is dead but it sold a bunch of games and led the way for games coming out even today. Tenchu didn't fail it just fell into the hands of people that weren't interested in it.

It also removed content from previous games.

Weak sauce gameplay.

Gameplay should evolve. Anyway i like Tenchu games. But campaign in Z was weak.

Wrath of Heaven was the last good game and after that the series stagnated and failed to evolve with the times, especially when compared to other much more highly regarded stealth games such as MGS, Splinter Cell and Hitman. Z failed to spark any new interest and Shadow Assassins killed any remaining goodwill towards the franchise.

>7 posters in this thread

shinobido should be as popular as god hand here, but it isnt
god i fucking hate this board

Because it was never released in burgerland

I played Tenchu 1-4 to death but never touched Shinobido. Are they worth emulating?

MS should get FROM to make another Tenchu for them.

I don't care and I don't know so sit right back and enjoy the show.

I would literally buy an Xbone for a new Tenchu/Shinobido game.

shinobido is peak kino and much more fun (but easier) than tenchu, but ive only played tenchu 1 so take this comment with a grain of salt

Shinobido is only 50fps which sucks.

What did the original Tenchu run at, like 18?

You can use emulators you know.

Am i the only person who played the first few levels of the first tenchu over and over because i got bored once the supernatural shit starts? Rinse repeat every time a new tenchu game came out. I dont want to fight demons and shit while pretending to be narotu, i just want a ninja sim.

It stopped evolving after Wrath of Heaven, in fact it devolved from Fatal Shadows onwards to the point where it became dated.

I still can’t figure out what went wrong. The intention after WOH was to make the series bigger and better than ever before according to WOH’s devs, but then they followed it up with FS, which was a glorified DLC pack except worse and then they lost the rights to FromSoft, who killed the series.

You might like Tenchu Z then, It has no supernatural shit except for anime powers like *teleports behind you nothing personel kid* but no zombies or stuff like that.

Tenchu Z was amazing despite the overall worse presentation in story and stuff. Pure gameplay, really fun game.

It's like Fatal Shadows except you play as not-Rikimaru, move like greased lightning, stealth through partitions or while hanging from ledges like in Sekiro, craft items culminating with bombs that inflict every available status effect all at once, and have a garden homebase which you create from scratch like a custom Tenchu 2 level and defend from gibbering invader bandits

FS was kino af tho

It had it’s moments, but it was overall worse than WOH despite being a really good game overall.

youtube.com/watch?v=aa2eHDIU4Dc

>online match starts
>every pub just rushes as fast as they can to the target, ignoring stealth and just trying to be the first person to kill him

Honestly I don't think a modern revival would do the series much good. It would run the risk of becoming a Sekiro spinoff, or simply miss the point of what these games were besides "ninja stealth". FromSoft is just dumb as shit for basically everything that isn't their main thing anymore.