Stronghold Thread

Rate my castle.

Attached: 1469540837880.jpg (1440x900, 445K)

DANGER MY LORD! A MASSIVE ARMY OF THE PIG IS HEADING FOR THE CASTLE!

Clubbed after 2 minutes

THE ENEMY IS FILLING IN THE MOAT

Okay how do I beat the 3rd war mission in stronghold 2 all these guys do is stand here and it’s impossible to reach fhem

Attached: 4DDCF1B1-9A94-47F7-AA64-F86447ED9351.jpg (1024x697, 174K)

That's the starting castle at the beginning of the level.

Wood NEEDED

>stronghold 2
just delete the game its a buggy piece of shit

wtf is his problem

Attached: str.png (244x232, 37K)

Stronghold 2 is not that bad dude, only thing bad is the maps that are too small.

he has no wood

The people WORSHIP you, Sire!

CAN'T PLACE THAT THERE, M'LORD

fuck should I have gotten stronghold crusader?

Stoon need'd M'lard

yes stronghold crusader is way better

is it more complex?

Original stronghold and crusader are kino
Stronghold 2 is flawed but they at least tried to expand the economic and civilian life, I still play it sometimes.
Stronghold 3 is garbage.

Trebuchets will destroy that thing in a matter of hours.

just not as buggy is the main part
stronghold did a huge nosedive in quality after they went 3d models

You call that a castle?

Classic Firefly.

Attached: Stronghold comparison.jpg (1904x2532, 1.93M)

No, stronghold 2 is more complex.
It's just wasted potential, I think all the new stuff was great but it wasn't fleshed out or they didn't have enough time, I don't know.

That smile. That damned smile.

most kino stronghold game

Attached: Stronghold_Legends.jpg (220x316, 33K)

tell me about it
i just remember it as shitty warcraft 3

I remember playing Crusader online with a friend. It was a ton of fun. I think you could even have up to 8 players in some maps? I kind of want to play it again. Is shields + horse archers still the top tactic?

I still hop into the game time by time to fool around in free build making new castles.

Attached: new.jpg (2559x1439, 2.59M)

HOW DOES THIS GEOMETRY WORK? MY BRAIN!

it just werks

can you in wc3 build an army of giants and smash enemy walls in with archers flying in all directions?

Stronghold 2 has more interesting castle management (more systems at play), but Crusader 1 (possibly Extreme) is the apex of the series. All of the 3D games have issues with large battles when there's a lot going on, but you can have plenty of fun in them. Don't touch Stronghold 3, but 2, Legends, and Crusader 2 are all decent. Warlords will probably be a reskin of Crusader 2, but the new features the devs have touched on might make the best 3D game if they don't fuck it up.

All of the 3D games don't have tree spread/regrowth, which bothers me so, so much. 2 would probably be my favorite if it wasn't so ugly, buggy, and barren after running out of trees; I'd kill for a prettier 2 with the fantasy units of Legends + tree spreading.

Attached: 1537105306079.jpg (733x850, 137K)

2D sprites with simulated terrain height and a northwest/southwest/southeast/northeast compass.

Diagonal walls don't look amazing, but I love almost everything about the look of the old 2D Strongholds. Comfy, just like old Command and Conquer games.

Attached: 1542057429477.png (1920x1080, 2.72M)

What's with all the stronghold threads the past few days?

>friend tells me to buy Stronghold 2 with him since its only 20$ bucks
>play a match
>build a nice army of knights and try to rush him
>they get stuck on a bridge, can't free them, can't build new ones since I've reached unit cap
>quit and never touch it again
This was the fully patched steam version, I regret the purchase to today.

Yea Forums has always liked Stronghold.

Attached: smugCrusader.png (192x198, 104K)

Warlords is coming next year. Medieval/pre-medieval Japan, China, and Mongolia.

Get Stronghold Crusader and play that. Get Stronghold Crusader 2 if you can't handle the old 2D graphics, but the original is generally better, IMHO.

Attached: 1564760024410.jpg (545x600, 49K)

I'm not complaining.
>Warlords is coming next year
Cool, will it be 3D or sprite based? I did play Stronghold 1 and Crusader before, never finished the campaign on any of them though.

I still can't tell. Are these 2D pre baked sprites with 3D shadows or does it just look extremely flat and shitty? Also if these are 3D why do the units all look in the same direction?

If Firefly ever gets their shit together and make a new game worthy of the title, I sure hope it's set in classic medieval Europe. Crusader is nice and all, but sand everywhere is boring to look at.
If only they took their time and actually polished a game properly.

> that mill placement

It is pre-alpha footage, but it's not going to look like Total Warhammer 2. 3D, but not pretty 3D. Not as ugly as early 3D rts games like Command and Conquer Generals, but it won't be particularly good looking.

They've already mentioned adding more ground decor to make it look less flat.

Fuck this mission
Also not your castle, it's already built

Would Stronghold still have soul if it was remade into true HD?

Attached: img.png (1920x1080, 2.91M)

Age of Empires jumped from 2D to 3D pretty well.
Command and Conquer, too. Generals was ugly but fun, while Tiberium Wars was good looking and fun.
Warcraft III still looks good to me, but that's probably nostalgia.

>sneaks into your castle with 40 assassins and kills your king

Attached: 1505537387635.png (745x451, 407K)

castle castle my castle

Attached: Desktop Screenshot 2019.03.11 - 16.30.32.70.jpg (1920x1080, 651K)

*swims into your castle at night*
psh

jokes on you, the game has no night

WC3 is peak soul.

Attached: Glad you could make it, Uther..jpg (1106x884, 113K)

you simply haven't played long enough

I've played enough to have seen all the game has to offer and never touch it again.

I always wished Warcraft III had walls and finite resources.

I made my own triggers to constantly replenish health/resources of trees and gold mines, but I still don't play it. Maybe I'll touch on it again when the remaster arrives.

Attached: 1549820080260.jpg (600x454, 79K)

>command and conquer too
lmao yeah ok, nothing came close to the asthetic of tiberium sun or red alert two, the 3d games look like uninspired dog shit.

any more slow paced RTS that you can just play at your leisure in singleplayer?
i know Settlers 3/4 but it always irked me i could take full control of every units aside warriors if i recall

Any good modern castle/base building games?

>sneak into my friend's castle with assassins while he's warring with my other friend who sent roughly 20 burning carts to destroy his farms
>get caught by barbarians he had guarding his king
>oh fuck he knows
>my assassins kill his barbarians and keep making their way to the king at the top of the castle
>my friend hasn't noticed yet
>order all my assassins to ignore the remaining barbarians and rush the king
>kill his king and his entire land crumbles
>friend starts cussing me out, ass blasted beyond belief
>quits the game and never plays Stronghold again

Attached: 1385458805670.gif (389x279, 2.27M)

Don't get me wrong; I love the aesthetic of the generation you're talking about. That being said, Tiberium Wars looks pretty good in general. Red Alert 3 has some neat units (I love the Russian walkers, and the Japanese are interesting), but the environment looks pretty bad.

thtas a fort, not a castler u dumb ufck

Stronghold Crusader.

openStronghold will rise again. no worries!

Attached: openStrongholdMenuMockup.jpg (1920x1080, 3.08M)

>*purges the city for no reason*

Tell me more.

Attached: 1428316498157.jpg (364x459, 45K)

>be huge fan of stronghold
>start writing an open source rewrite
>firefly contacts me and "is not amused"
>cancel the project because not worth the hassle and impossible to use 60k sprites without meta information
and thats the story of openStronghold

Attached: trutte.jpg (163x146, 5K)

Looking Down Cause I Can't Stand These Niggas...

Attached: DeRO5DuXkAAcqtO.jpg (1024x1012, 212K)

Attached: mai.png (543x513, 39K)

Oh.

Attached: 1326762904113.png (601x695, 5K)

>no reason

I wish I didn't know this now. God fucking dammit Firefly why can't you just expand on the isometric Stronghold by adding larger maps and more features.

Attached: 1558977153002.png (1008x1000, 241K)

they got lucky back in the days and they are still making money from the assets (stronghold kingdoms)