Why is Japanese gaming so handheld centre compared to home console centred like in the west?

Why is Japanese gaming so handheld centre compared to home console centred like in the west?

Becuz u big ghey lol

Attached: 1567047594038.png (341x318, 210K)

>LOOK, WEBM I FOUND ON Yea Forums, WANNA SHARE BECAUSE ME WANT REPLIES
Also everyone who isn't a tourist has alreday seen it anyways.
Fuck off and i hope you get banned.

I don't get it

As somebody who lives and works in Japan, I can tell you everybody is 24/7 on their phone. On the train, walking down the street, during coffee break at work. I'm used to similar things in the west (am from Europe) but Japan is just fucking next level. Literally people cross the street without even looking at the green light, they just follow whoever starts crossing first, like a zombie. I even tried a couple of times to pretend like I am crossing during a red light and people just start walking behind me it's flat out creepy.

This said, trains during rush hour/commute times are so crowded you really can't play a proper handheld like a switch or a DS (I've never seen anyone do that at least), the only thing you can do is hold your phone in your hand, which also explains why most phone games have auto-battle.

Attached: 7ef.jpg (600x600, 32K)

>I even tried a couple of times to pretend like I am crossing during a red light and people just start walking behind me it's flat out creepy.

lol you fucking troll.

Attached: 1564032859853.jpg (495x619, 16K)

Small homes with 1 tv. Parents buy kids handheld so they don't occupy all time on the tv. Idk if this the case anymore but use to be one reasoning

japan home too small for console

This is only partially true. The Japan = small homes meme is only true if you're living in the city center. Rent and real estate in Japan is super affordable even in big cities like Tokyo. I rent a fairly large apartment ~40 minutes out of the city and it's not that weird for families to live in such spaces.

On the other hand, the culture has evolved much more around arcades (which are dying off due to phones, unfortunately), and historically there never has been a super strong push towards home consoles unlike in the west. Also PC components are super expensive here.

>Chink webm
>no violent deaths or suffering happening
Fuck off, OP

I don't understand this webm?

Imagine living below a fucking city square

Time. Your average jap spends so little time at home and more time at work and traveling because of jap work ethic that it makes handheld a much better option.

You're either in a train or in a crammed environment of some sort. Even arcades are crammed.

You have to think of Japan, and Asians in general as more like insects than people.
There's no individuality, or freedom from society. As such, a jap has to interact with their hive at all times. They must work until they drop, socialize with their fellow hivemates and so on.
As such, the few fleeting moments of relative freedom they get, such as on a train, a lunch break or something like that, are the only times they can game.

And it's not feasible to lug around a console, nor socially acceptable within the hive. However, portable consoles are acceptable, and thus flourish.

Because the average Japanese worker has like 2 hours of free time at most at home.

Ironically enough, America has a worse work ethic than Japan

That's some sweet veticality

how is that ironic

Yeah no. The working conditions in Japan are literally destroying the country.

Because the average japanese lives in a tiny ass apartment and spends most of his time at work or commuting to work on the plane or shinkansen.
What do you think would work better? A 3DS with the latest dragon quest or a PS4 with persona 5?
you ask me

It's ironic because all the americans think Japanese salarymen are slaves and overworked.
Japan has passed multiple laws in the past few years to give their workers much better and sane working conditions. There is a maximum legal overtime, there's more PTO, there are more flexible work hours, etc.
Culturally it takes time to change and there's still lots of extra work hours social obligations (going drinking with coworkers, etc) and a lot of alcohol problems overall, and some companies are still black companies that slave their employees, but the US isn't even trying. Unlike Japan.

Source: I work here. I literally have to fill in a spreadsheet of all the work hours I take and all the overtime I do and if I go above a certain number HR will get in touch with me and my manager and reprimand them/work on disciplinary action because the company is liable for it.

you're not entirely wrong but at least in America if I work full time I get benefits and paid time off

because they're all on trains going to and from work to their second job and third jobs.

I have way more vacation days/PTO at my company here in Tokyo than when I was working in Europe. Just saying. And America is even worse.
Japan also has way more national holidays (longer new year's, golden week, silver week, etc)

So why are gacha games so prevalent in Japan anyways?

Attached: BE326684-5CF5-40DF-B308-150EAEC9E8FA.jpg (1000x1000, 425K)

shit I didn't know, thats alright. but yeah the working conditions in America suck since most bosses are backstabbing cunts who will throw you under the bus.
At least I have the bill of rights though so I dont have to complain too much

Because Japan loves gachapon machines and gacha games are the natural evolution to that.

So what are you working in?

PTO and benefits went out the window in America in 2008, and most jobs pay McDonald's-tier wages. You don't have to drink with your boss like you do in Japan, but now you work to live worse off than welfare bums.

>I literally have to fill in a spreadsheet of all the work hours I take and all the overtime I do
This is normal around the world user

I'm a software engineer for a very big company

I know man
there's a reason why I want to work to be able to afford land and fuck off from most of civilization

I know some of my coworkers have to do that in Germany by law, but in all other countries I worked in (in Europe) I never had to do that.

Yeah but just because they work hard doesn't always translate to efficient work. Their programming is a fucking joke, and their office spaces are infamous for pointless busy work.

If it's hourly wage then yeah of course you report how many hours you've worked.

Visited Japan while with the army can confirm
I really had to get the fuck out of that country I genuinely did feel like a zombie there.
Just surviving on 7/11, coffee, all you can eat sushi bars, and alcohol

Fuck I would love to be able to go have beer on tap everyday after work, do they pay you for doing that?

I'll give you that, that's true. But on the other hand there's also much more 正社員 (aka "lifetime" employee) protection. Meaning that it's much harder for people to get fired, which ironically also translates to all that kind of idiotic busy work. The boss doesn't like you? Well they can't really fire you or they'll be in big shit, so they'll just move you to a side department doing paper shuffling 10 hours a day instead just to "keep you busy".

Software engineering is not hourly wage. They are paid the same whether they do 6 or 10 hours every day. It's a precaution to prevent you from working too much (above a certain X amount of overtime hour every month), but it doesn't affect your pay.
As a matter of fact, my salary has a portion of it called "Overtime bonus" and it's a fixed amount that I get every month just in case I have to do overtime (but not past that X amount of hours by law), I still get it whether or not I actually do any overtime at all.
No, you have to pay. And sometimes pay for your mates too as you do rounds. Or more often than not you go to a nomihoudai ("all-you-can-drink") establishment and pay a flat rate for 2 hours of beer.

Cool, i'm a software engineer too. How is it doing it in nipland?

I live in Spain and I have to do that, I have a salary though, not a hourly wage.

That sounds worse than being fired

That is strange

It's pretty comfy. I work for an international company so I don't have to worry too much about being slaved by a black company with Japanese work obligations. Lifestyle is really nice, would definitely recommend if you can get a good job at a non-slaving company.

It's either that, or they browbeat you into signing a resignement letter so you don't come up as "fired" and they won't have to pay you a severance package. Instead you'll just be on unemployment benefits (which is not too bad, overall, but still)

how did you join that company? Are you fluent in Japanese?

probably the same way another user made it to a German company user

Attached: elric thinking.jpg (1024x576, 57K)

I was working at that company (on a different team/project) in Europe for years. I saw there was an opening for a position at a cool project in Japan so I browsed around a bit. Went on vacation last year just to get a feel of the lifestyle, met with my new team, checked out the office and working style here, etc. Then I applied for the position and got the transfer approved earlier this year.
I've been studying Japanese for ~1 year and I can have everyday conversations (somewhat, my grammar is still pretty bad), but I've still got a long way to go. Good thing is the company pays for Japanese tutoring so that's nice (although Japanese is not required for my role whatsoever)

?
You’re average Jap in Tokyo will never own a home and at best an apartment 1 hour outside the city.

No it’s not. Most corporate jobs in the world aren’t time carded. Maybe if you’re a menial worker.

No room.

I didn't say most jobs. I just said it's normal, which it is.

Cool

I'm working for a German/French company but we don't have openings for such opportunities

thats nice man
As someone who wants to be a pilot if I ever manage to fly for an international airline I would go for JAL or ANA as an option
>inb4 fly in europe
>European airlines dont accept FAA licenses

Don't ? me if you don't know what you're talking about.
Despite Tokyo being one of the most crowded capitals in the world, it has incredibly affordable housing/living conditions compared to a lot of other capitals thanks to its aggressive zoning laws and very high rise buildings.
Furthermore, due to its peculiar housing market and quickly-depreciating buildings, you can get extremely affordable 10-15 years old houses/apartments to purchase. Thanks to it, there's virtually no real estate investors/flippers because a house loses more than half of its value in the first ~5 years after being built, which doesn't make it an interesting investment for people who aren't planning to live in it.
Rent itself just a bit outside of the city center is extremely affordable as well, and Tokyo being Tokyo you have super efficient public transport that literally takes you anywhere and even being 20-30 minutes away from hot zones like Shibuya or Shinjuku still feels like being "in the center" anyway.

weeb

>work for 2 five star airlines
>get free first class seats or business class seats between Chicago and Tokyo
I think about benefits mate

Attached: 20190519_132952.jpg (4128x3096, 1.53M)

There's also the other problem of not being able to fire people and of having to give promotions. My father explained this to me yesterday when we talked about his time working there.

As all business are a pyramid scheme for position there arnt many spots for higher positions however in Japan you still get promoted. What happens is that the less valuable people are promoted and put at desks next to windows and then told to just sit there. So you get the title and salary but you just stare out the window and not do much.
Other interesting fact. Recently retired office workers are nicknamed wet leaves because without a purpose they just stick around the house and it's really hard to get them to do anything.

>Recently retired office workers are nicknamed wet leaves because without a purpose they just stick around the house and it's really hard to get them to do anything.
This is so sad, I see it in my dad who just recently retired. He's been trying to fill in the time by going on trips/vacations (to which my still-working mom is not super happy about). He's lucky enough to have enough money to do that, but I can see the probable life crisis he's facing, he's been a super hard working man for the last 40+ years and now that he's in his mid/late 60s and without a job, he really doesn't know what to do anymore.
I hope to never get to that situation myself, it's soul crushing.

Honestly though with my massive backlog of video games the thought of retirement isn't all too terrible
I mean the only issue is that games like KH2, God of War, and RE4 might become impossible to play because of reaction times

Not all of Japan is over crowded

People act like all of Japan is Tokyo