This shit has the most painful UI I have ever experienced

This shit has the most painful UI I have ever experienced.
I'm trying to setup this stupid thing on my android box and I cannot fathom why it gets praised.
>menus within menus within menus
>saving settings is an obtuse chore
>hotkeys constantly resetting, they absolutely refuse to stay to what I set them to
>changing the 'threaded video' setting always causes a crash
>Switch inspired UI, while less shit, is still definitely shit
>appearently also drops savegames too from what reviews say

And don't give me the "you're a brainlet" bullshit either, because I'm an avid fan of old PC games and have fixed tons of issues myself in obscure/niche titles without needing to google things. I am fully convinced Retroarch is dogshit until proven otherwise.
A lot of the cores themselves seem fine, sure. But those are just taken from other peoples' work and have nothing to do with the program itself.

So to anyone here who emulates shit a lot, what kind of setups do you use? And what do you propose I do?
Get separate emulators or something? Or keep bashing my head in trying to get this app to do what I want it to?

Attached: retroarch.jpg (460x215, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ludo.libretro.com/
libretro.com/index.php/category/wimp/
docs.libretro.com/guides/roms-playlists-thumbnails/
github.com/libretro/libretro-database/blob/master/README.md
twitter.com/AnonBabble

hehe should've seen the old ui

Also didnt even read your autism but people like cuz its all in one, thats it.

A lot of really good feature are either exclusive to retro arch; or require extensive setup, searching, and other inconvenience.
I think there's a better ui that you can use but I honestly have no clue. I don't use retro arch so I wouldn't know.

Sounds like a personal problem.
No, people like it because it has the best shader system in emulation and also has the best PS1 core you'll find anywhere.

Honestly use it in conjunction with LaunchBox, there's a YT tutorial to get it setup. That way you literally just use RetroArch as the emulator set but LaunchBox for the UI. You'll thank me later

Nobody praises the UI. It is notable for having the full-breadth of options in a controller based menu, which is fairly rare. It's also done a lot of emulator portability. Nobody says it's some really great UI however, I've only ever seen complaints about it.

There is the desktop UI but it's still incomplete unfortunately.

RA's UI really does suck, I only use it for PS1 and DS games.

Attached: gsdx_20190908214616.png (2560x1440, 2.45M)

I have no doubts I could get it working on PC, given some time, believe me. But I have a feeling it's absolute trash on Android.
I'm using a frontend on my Shield in conjunction with it, but I'm about to just swap to individual emus if I can't solve the crashing and hotkey issues.

I don't know why they wouldn't work on improving it then. I also feel they probably ignore their other platforms too, given my issues.

Its so fucking confusing to set up the input configuration. the whole "retropad" concept is just ridiculous.

So let me get this straight- there's a "core override" that should save your video/per system settings/etc and "save configuration on exit/save to config" that saves specific retroarch general settings.
So what the fuck saves the control settings, between hotkeys and gamebinds? Even if I save somewhere that I think it would be, it never sticks for some reason.

If there comes a point in trying to make a work that you fall into desperation trying to make it work, you just have to let it go for your own good. Get separate emulators.

why do people use retroarch at all? i only think theres on emulator thats best to use with the libretro core and thats genesis plus gx. for anything else you should use separate emus.

took me all of 5 minutes to get acclimated to it. the only thing i had to figure out is what cores to use

do you have learning difficulties?

does anyone have any recommendations for a libretro frontend that is more simplistic to use?

How do I use the bios for the BeetlePSX HW core?

Apparently it has good GBA and PS1 compatibility as well.

>5 minutes
Sure, alright. That's definitely enough time to make sure everything works alright with every different system.
And this is also on android. I'm sure the windows version is less buggy trash but that's not what I'm working with.

>I don't know why they wouldn't work on improving it then.
It's pretty much inevitable when it comes to open source software. Nobody likes UI design (least of all programmers), and implementing good UI design into any project requires proper delegation. In OSS, there isn't a boss to go "Alright this is what our UI designers came up with, go make it look and function like this". So you either get unusable messes, or you get something extremely simple and extensible but ultimately kind of backwards (like Retroarch).
Personally, because the UI ultimately lets you do anything you want on just a controller. It's a fucking mess, but being able to just throw it up on a monitor, lie back in my bed and change games, change settings, whatever without needing to get up is useful. Also, it's generally a far better solution for emulating on anything that isn't windows. It's a godsend for an RPi box or your phone or whatever.

actually I first used it on pic related. then again on my old phone that I repurposed as a media device
the only real difference the PC version has is the option to use the desktop menu, which is handy if you are having trouble making retroarch detect rom hacks

forgot the pic related

Attached: 51J9Batbf-L.jpg (500x500, 43K)

I hate this shit but it does okay with psx games when you get the right core. I really don't see what the fuck is going on with snes games though.

BizHawk has none of the bullshit retroarch has plus some extra stuff for speedrunners, use that instead

It's convenient having the same hotkeys across all emulators. It's also nice being able to exchange save files between mobile and desktop.
Personally, I don't really understand the hate for the UI.

You're probably a brainlet if you can't figure out the menu.

>genplusgx when blastem exists

This. I downloaded it on my vita, laid down on my couch and scrolled through each option list and kept track of where the major settings were, and disabled a bunch of shit that I'll never use.
RA threads are full of whiny kids.

Shaders that work across all systems, once and done controller configs, misc features, core portability.

It works like the XMB and is incredibly easy to use.

Isn't there a theme based on the Switch's UI? Is it any better?

From my experience, it's not all that much better.

>Shaders
I like it for its scaling capabilities, not its fucking mudfilters or inaccurate as hell CRT shaders.

Why MAME cores is so shit?

I have 5gb romset but i can only get half of them to work. And half of game that work is not run at full speed WTF

I've never had a problem saving settings. Note that settings save on exit, so if you close the window instead of using the "quit retroarch" button in the menu your settings won't save. If you're really having problems getting settings to save you can edit the config file directly.
I've never had it drop saves.

It functions more or less the same way, so if you don't like the other UIs you probably won't like that one any more.

Who /rgui/ here?

I can save most settings save for controller stuff, most importantly hotkeys. Also changing the threaded video setting crashes it for some reason.
If you can tell me what exactly I'm missing with the controller stuff it would be much appreciated user.

>trying the genesis emulator
>doesnt let me select the retropad for player 1, so the keybinds dont work
this is the worst frontend in history

>all emus-in-one frontend
>customizable performance
>customizable settings per core
>customizable settings per game
>great compatibility
>same hotkeys throughout all games

Set it all up once, then simply make a shortcut/launcher to launch the games.

likely a version mismatch between your romset and the version of MAME the core is based on
Just save yourself the trouble and use MAMEUI64

Just use Ludo if you want a more simple experience. It runs on libretro (RetroArch's core), so the emulators are the exact same on both.
ludo.libretro.com/

I don't use a controller so I can't really help you, unfortunately.

I appreciate it user, but is there a similar solution for android?

thjanks man. will try this out

>PS1 core
I thought epsxe android was pretty great. Better than epsxe's PC version even with the proper plugins to fix everything, and the UI happens to not be shit.

Actually, what is Retro's PS1 core based on?

But the overall customizability is just a mess. It seems like the controller input has an extra layer of abstraction, for no reason? Like why cant I just open up a game, and set the input to the buttons of the controller for that system? Why do I have to set the keybidings in the retroarch main menu, and then map THOSE onto a keybiding for the core? No other emulator does that weird shit

I love retroarch

Attached: 1567950412624.jpg (3264x1836, 3.37M)

>I don't know why they wouldn't work on improving it then
If you've ever worked on any software ever, either professionally or as a hobby, you'd know that nobody likes to do UIs.

I mean just don't use it if you don't like it but it's still the most feature rich front end out there with the best sync as well
Personally I don't think the UI is bad at all it's a console-like UI to run console emulators but I also really don't like the visual basic shit most standalone emulators use and don't understand why people like that I actually prefer to use my mouse as little as possible

Until other emus start implementing runahead, retroarch remains the only viable option.

Works on my machine
Once you set it up you can just copy your config file whereever you want

>try it out
>literally just retroarch but with worse features and less settings

Attached: but why though.jpg (261x287, 44K)

>switch inspired UI
>not knowing how to install different GUIs

Attached: 3423423.jpg (210x240, 13K)

The Beetle/Mednafen core is the best one for both accuracy and enhancement, and it's only available for RA. ePSXe is one of those plugin nightmares, while Mednafen is plug and play.

One application is turning your vita/phone 90 degrees to play arcade games without having a mess on your hand when going back in the menu. The more options, the better.
Another romantic feature often overlooked is mapping multiple players on a single controller.

for some reason it doesnt save it when i chance the controller configuation when im playing a game. so its too frusturating to use

>Why do I have to set the keybidings in the retroarch main menu, and then map THOSE onto a keybiding for the core?
You don't. The keybindings you set in the main menu are universal and affect all cores. You can set keybindings per-game or per-core if you want a game or core to have it's own controller setup, but that's optional.

the keybindings you set in the main menu are poorly made for most cores themselves. for instance, to play n64 on retroarch i had to totally redo the keyboard bindings in the main menu and then do all the bindings in the core, because some of the buttons werent even bound to a key. and every other core i have tried for any system is poorly bound with the main keybindings from the main menu. i bet pretty much everyone will have to make their own bindings for every core. so its totally unnecessary and over complicated for there to be universal main menu bindings

This, and it's literally the PS3 XrossMediaBar, not the Switch UI. You have like 4 different UIs to choose between in the driver section of RA.

I use the universal keybindings for everything.
There should be no reason you'd have to set keybindings per-core unless you wanted to.
>so its totally unnecessary and over complicated for there to be universal main menu bindings
Most game consoles have a very similar controller layout. Your controller layout for NES, SNES, PSX, and GBA for example are probably all going to be very similar. Being able to set your control scheme once and have that be universal is more convenient than setting it for every core when you're probably going to use the same general layout for all of them.

>and it's literally the PS3 XrossMediaBar, not the Switch UI
I'm assuming the Switch UI is the ozone driver.

Attached: ozone.png (1920x1080, 98K)

Not OP, but I guess I'll use this thread to ask this. Is there any way to use the "add to the playlist" function inside RetroArch without it completely messing up spacing and such? I added games manually before and I'm glad I made a backup before trying that function out.

Attached: notepad_2019-09-09_09-29-45.png (1596x808, 221K)

Normies who have never used an emulator get fucking freaked out with all the options in RA, I've tried twice to get friends to use it and they look at it like it's a NASA console.

Retro cuck is shit and i will never use it.

Retroarch has the lowest latency for gen 4 and older consoles. No other emu can match it in that aspect. You are literally gimping yourself by not using RA.

I must a pretty good gimp then LMFAO!

Attached: 1553595117429.jpg (398x376, 37K)

Do you use a controller? Maybe it’s better then, but for using a keyboard, retroarch is a nightmare.

I’ve used emulators a long time and RA still confuses me. It’s not necessarily the amount of options but the really awkward way they are all laid out. Stuff like project 64 and dolphin feels much more intuitive than RA. Even emus that don’t have a front end like Mupen or Mednafen are easier to use because their config files are simple.

>I’ve used emulators a long time and RA still confuses me
That's because they made it using autism

I've always used a keyboard with retroarch and never had a problem.

Doesn't Launchbox cost money?

Which Nintendo 64 core is the best one?

You coulduse Lutris instead, if you're a freedom-minded individual.

Mupen64Plus

It's pretty annoying, but I ended up getting used to it.
Found it seems to be smoother than when I use standalone emulators, not sure why, but that's mainly why I use it now. Like the other emulators aren't properly synced to my monitor or some shit.

The Retropad should be optional. Why can't I just open up a game and use whatever keys I want? Its really dumb design. If there are certain keys I want to use but arent set to the Retropad, I have to go back to the main menu and put them in, then go back to the in-game control setup.

Because MAME aims for accuracy which means your shit-tier phone or shit tier raspberry pi can't emulate most games.
You need a really powerful PC to emulate arcade games on MAME.

Tha can't be a CRT shader can it?

My shit runs fine fuck off retro cuck

Just saying why I use it user, if it works fine for you, then do standalone emulation.
I still use it for 6th gen and onward, I wouldn't even want to dream using Dolphin or PCSX2 on Retroarch.

Why not just set everything instead of leaving things unset? Why not just make a universal control scheme and use that instead of trying to set an individual control scheme for every core? It really sounds like you're trying to make things difficult on yourself. Like I said, I only use the keyboard with retroarch and I've never had a problem, and I've used retroarch for years.

No thanks I'll just use the same emulators with no problems for over 20 years.

But there ISNT a universal control scheme, different consoles/games will have wildly different layouts for playing well on a keyboard. I dont understand why retroarch doesnt just let me bind any key i want to the console's ACTUAL controller layout, as opposed to making you bind to a retropad and then change the buttons for each core to correspond to it.

>ZSNES user in 2019
Monumental yikes.

Only half yikes i don't use that one.

I've never used retroarch, but reading through these comment chains I have a hard time understanding what exactly is your problem.
Sounds like the only thing you need to do is make a layout/keybinding for the main retroarch controls, and then if an individual game or system is too different, you just make adjustments but base it on the main layout. Am I wrong?

I use zsnes too because it works well enough for me, and why would I risk using and learning another emulator for things that don't matter to me.

sometimes you want to use buttons that werent bound to the main retroarch controls. so you cant just set them in the game menu, you have to go back to the main retroarch menu and re-bind everything on the retropad. and of course this would ruin all the other bindings you had with the previous retropad layout.

>you have to go back to the main retroarch menu and re-bind everything on the retropad.
This doesn't make any sense. Why would you need to rebind everything? Why not just bind those that are not bound?
Why don't you bind everything then in the first place, and then you can mix and match individually on a per system/per game basis?

Why would you not want to use the same layout for your directional buttons, your face buttons, your shoulder buttons, or your start/select buttons? That's most of your controller buttons right there (all of them on many consoles) and those all work fine with a universal layout. Really, the only console you should need to set individually is the n64, which isn't hard to do.
This is the layout I've used for years, which again, I've never had a problem with using universally.

>Sounds like the only thing you need to do is make a layout/keybinding for the main retroarch controls, and then if an individual game or system is too different, you just make adjustments but base it on the main layout.
That's exactly it.

Attached: retroarch_2019-09-09_01-33-48.png (766x717, 258K)

Main confusion of RA is that there is A LOT OF STUFF buried somewhere in the menus.
Meanwhile for a traditional emu you instead have these windows drop down system bars, which gives you a incentive to hover over them, but not use them.

And to RA's credit, the runtime menu is a submenu of the full menu. That wasn't there in 1.0, and it makes it easier to find out that you can apply shaders.

I like all in one solutions, but mednaffe is enough for me. If mednafen's console selection is too small for you then RA is fair enough.

Its certainly smoother.
PPSSPP-retroarch vs PPSSPP standalone is a night and day difference, merely from the standalone not syncing its output well.

Attached: Fate_saber_.gif (192x256, 843K)

it's pretty shit, yeah. just use standalone emulators

>syncing its output well.
You people have shitty toasters because i have no lag or syncing.

Is it really that much better? I've been using PPSSPP for FFT War of the Lions, and I'm not really happy with it, something still feels off, but can't put my finger on what.
Maybe I'll give it a try with retroarch-PPSSPP.

The most accurate one was written by some nip though.

Just switch the menu driver to GLUI. There, now RetroArch is usable. You can thank me later.

Attached: muhrio.jpg (480x360, 23K)

It's the fucking worst to setup and manage across multiples,I don't fucking get it either.

The thing is: Retro Arch is versatile, very complete and it just works in its main capabilities.
Fuck, I've been using it on my modded PS3 back then and I still use it on my phone to boot up some roms quickly.

I really hope they get it right one day, I'm a fan

>And don't give me the "you're a brainlet" bullshit either, because I'm an avid fan of old PC games and have fixed tons of issues myself

lol, just because you think you're smart doesn't make you any less of a brainlet.
I've never used an emulator before retroarch 3 months ago. It took me literally 10 minutes to set it up with my entire NES collection and this included googling "what emulator should I use?".

you can modify it
libretro.com/index.php/category/wimp/
there are a bunch of cutiom ui too

Syncing is far easier on 144hz monitors and CRTs.
Then again, its one of those horrors you can't unsee once you have seen it. Its pretty gross.

Honourable mentions in modern games and hardware include
1. Tearing
2. Frame jitter on non freesync/gsync hardware
3. Vsync 30->60->30 fps cycles

Its slightly better.
Main advantage is that you can combine higher internal resolution and filters.

i get confused by the difference between retroarch settings and core settings. like, if i change resolution, will that affect retroarch, the core, or both?

The UI is trash but once you have it all setup it's not that bad. The only real problem I have with it is setting up my arcade stick to work with it.

see

Main retroarch settings say what resolution is sent to your monitor. Core settings in things like PS1 decide what resolution the game is rendered at.

Not the same guy, but I'm a technical brainlet, and unfortunately I don't have the slightest idea what it actually means when a game is being rendered at a certain resolution, but a different resolution is actually sent to my monitor. Probably that's the problem of that guy too. If anyone could explain it would be great.

to set it individually for something like n64 you might have to use different buttons then what you configured on the retropad in the first place. for instance for the c buttons i often like using 2, q, w and e, which often wouldnt be bound with a normal retropad. and it gets further complicated by how some games use the analog stick and others the d-pad, which require different layouts for both. and god forbid you maybe want to experiment with different layouts with different buttons you might not have mapped, you cant just change the buttons in game, you have to go to the retropad and change it, but you dont want to do that either because that will ruin all the other layouts you have.

its all just so stupid, confusing and unnecessary. why cant it just show an image of a n64 controller, or even just text like P64, and i can use any button i want for each button? why cant i bind buttons unless they are also bound on the retropad? if you use a controller on steam you can open basically any game and easily set the bindings, why cant retroarch do this?

The fact that RetroArch, literally the easiest to set up emulator I have ever fucking used, gets so many complaints from people about how hard it is to set up, fills me with deep feelings of sadness and despair. I'm stuck on this Earth with fucking morons, and none of the world's problems will ever be solved if these are the people tasked with solving them. If people are too retarded to use RetroArch then what hope does humanity have?

Seems like an incredibly easy thing to solve by binding everything on the retropad in the first place, but you do you, go ahead and make this more complicated than it needs be so you can keep complaining if that's what makes you happy.

if you think RA is the easiest emulator to set up, it makes me think you are retarded when it comes to playing other emulators. i cant imagine how anyone could think RA has a more intuitive layout than most other emulators like Dolphin, Fusion, PCSX2, P64. and often these emulators provide tons of options too, they just do it in a way that isnt as messy, bloated or confusing. I would argue setting up shit on RA how you want is more annoying than any other emulator. i would rather use something like mupen64 without a UI at all then use the retroarch core

Rendering resolution means how many pixels the objects in the game are actually made of, for example PS1 games were typically 320x240. Some emulators, like the beetle core in RA, let you increase that to make all in-game objects more detailed. So for example, you can make Cloud's hair look like an actual spiked shape it's supposed to be instead of just an incoherent mess made of 5 yellow pixels.

Display resolution in main RA options decides what area on your desktop is occupied by RA itself. If you make it full screen, then Windows will decide how to fit it in your screen, according to your system settings.

Rendering res and display res can be different, in which case the rendered image is first scaled to fit your display res. This can sometimes give you a nasty stretched image, so it's best to render games at your monitor's factory resolution. Or at the very least select "keep aspect ratio" and "integer scaling" in RA options.

there are way more buttons on the keyboard than are available on the retropad. so if you want to experiment with different layouts you have to go and change shit on the retropad too. its fucking stupid

works on my machine

So at the end of the day, there isn't too much point in setting rendering res and display res to different values?

so display resolution is basically just window size?

Why would you need to go and change shit on the retropad once you have bound everything in the first place?
Why not just bind the layout for the individual system that is based on the fully bound retropad?
If I'm understanding how it works right, you should not have to change anything in the retropad once you bound everything.

>controls are bound by default if you have an xinput controller, so you don't even have to do shit
>literally the only thing you even really have to configure are your video settings and your directory settings
>you configure your video settings ONCE and it applies to every emulator core you ever use in it, and you never have to think about it again

Compare that to having to go through the rigamarole of binding your controls and configuring your video settings just right for each and every individual emulator you download, over and over again.
Or I could just download a RA emulator core and have it just work.

There is, increasing rendering res has a heavy performance hit. So if your PC can't handle it, you might want to settle for a lower one. In PS1 it's usually not a problem if your PC isn't 15 years old, but for example in Cemu you might start losing frames in that 4K Breath of the Wild.

Yes. There are no performance concerns here.

is it possible to use retroarch without dealing with the GUI whatsoever? like just dragging some core/file onto something in the retroarch files?

>Switch inspired UI, while less shit, is still definitely shit
stop bleeding ignorance everywhere. cant give your shit post serious responses otherwise

Have you tried any of the other GUI drivers? I personally hate the default ps3-esque shit. I like the simpler ones

Have the same problem. UI is atrocious. It's like a retarded psp.

The libretro team is actually working on a baby mode UI called Ludo

ludo.libretro.com/
Currently at version 0.82, they haven't officially launched it yet as far as I know, it's not even on the libretro site

>Cores already configured and prepackaged with the program for performance and accuracy balance
>Easier UI with context menu for saving and loading easier to access, see next pic
>Available as an OS and raspi image for easy retro gaming PC's
>Only supporting desktop means no weird mobile UI and overlay options

Attached: ludo.png (576x530, 30K)

Is this why the Steam release is taking so long?

It lets me use any resolution I want with my Trinitron that I've got hooked up to my PC, and it's got customizable input delay wich is pretty fucking gold. OP you sound very autistic and you should probably look up what a config file is

Attached: IMG_20190907_052541.jpg (4160x3120, 3.95M)

its not like you can bind all the keyboard keys on the retropad

Just get Arc Browser instead you fucking mongoloid

Have had no problems with it once I managed to figure out how to enter core specific settings, which took more of a roundabout than I thought.

i might give them a try but i personally prefer to not use a GUI at all and just change settings in the config files when i have to

Look how much easier the game menu is

Attached: quickmenu.png (1072x674, 155K)

glui is my favorite driver. all you have to do is switch to it, it comes preinstalled

I didn't know you can use a different frontend with retroarch. So how easy is it to set-up and what's the most non-retarded one?

You dont have to change any settings in the cores? Bullshit, if you dont then your games will look and probably play like shit. What you are saying is not at all my experience, where changing everything in each core is way more annoying than just dealing with individual emulators

Why does Retroarch itself even have options at all? I think that is the really unintuitive part. Really, it would make sense if only the cores had options. or at the very least, retroarch non-core options should be far less emphasized in the GUI

Use a frontend like launchbox or batch files

Are we even using the same program? Why the fuck do you need to fuck with core options? The core options are just optional shit that you almost never have to worry about. 99% of the time I just open a core and run it, I don't fuck with the settings at all.
The only setting I regularly fuck with is hard-gpu-sync, because my PC is old and can't handle it on anything past Super Nintendo so I have to turn it off when I'm emulating PS1

The phone one is even worse. GNUtards have been conditioned to believe obtuse UI design is a quality, they can't be reached.

so you never change in game resolution, never change aspect ratio, never change button mapping?

do the cores auto update?

What the fuck console needs you to set a resolution? Consoles ran at a specified resolution, and the default setting is always what the original hardware outputted. I set my overall video to be 4x, and that carries over to everything. And I keep my aspect ratio at 4:3 because that's what all these games ran at back in the day anyways.

I yes I've changed button mappings in NES and GameBoy, but that's only because I prefer YB rather than BA. But that was optional too, and again it's only something you have to do exactly one fucking time and never think about it again

For some reason linuxfags are utterly incapable of making decent UIs

You don't learn emulators you nigger.
They're simple to use.
ZSNES is shit-tier.

bla bla bla

im nota gonna read all of this thread

Retroarch is for literal retads, just use a standalone emulator for the system your emulating.

I don't see how it's shit tier if it plays my snes games perfectly as far as I can see so

>it plays my snes games perfectly
lol

why do they offer so many options for SNES cores? that shit is confusing

laugh all you want, I'm not going to replace something that works perfectly just to please some autist on Yea Forums

They offer many options because some people are running RA on toasters.
Just use bsnes-mercury-balanced or snes9x

yea I don't care, have fun with your dogshit audio emulation retard

People get all but fucking mad because zsnes isnt perfect emulation, but only in things like resolution. However Zsnes has an amazing ui, tons of options, a function cheat/hex editor that doesnt suck dick. Of course the same autistic that complain about zsnes use snes9x but the only perfect snes emulator is bsnes.

If you knew anything about snes emulation you'd realize that zsnes's audio emulation is fucking trash.
If you're on a toaster and/or don't care about accuracy outside of anything you can't notice then at least use fucking snes9x, it incorporated bsnes's more accurate audio emulation into itself years ago.
And If you can't hear the difference then I don't know what to say, you must be deaf.

something about talking about UI and these kinds of programs is really comfy

>Zsnes audio is trash
Not true. Also Zsnes can emulate music from certain romhacks that neither SNES9x and bsnes cant. Oops.
Are you sure you dont have hearing problems? I've used tons of emulators for SNES. Mostly because I'm not stupid enough to pay for actual hardware and I also dont unbiasedly support bullshot like the SNES mini or switch online. I will think the worst emulator by far is either Higan or libertro snes9x so fuck off mate. People can form their own educated opinion and by the way it takes like 5 seconds to change zsnes audio options.

>This program is trash because it wants me to leave my comfort zone for a 5 minute long config!
>I hate change, back to ZSNES!
Imagine already being a stubborn old man at the age of 25.

Because those romhacks were designed for zsnes and not anything else.
Modern romhacks are designed to run on actual hardware, that zsnes romhack shit won't run on anything other than zsnes. Also your argument is invalid because bsnes/higan supports MSU-1 CD quality audio, which also works SD2SNES flashcarts. Good luck getting your shit running on actual hardware.
And If you've ever done a side by side comparison you'd hear that zsnes audio is shit compared to bsnes and snes9x

still find it really confusing of where to find core-specific settings. is it all just in retroarch-core-options?

Press F1 during gameplay.

>Normies
It's normalfag fellow Redditard.

The bottom line is, you did exactly 0 things to convince anybody there is anything wrong with zsnes, you just went on an autistic rage fit about stupid shit nobody gives a fuck about, like alleged audio issues that only come up if you compare them side by side (seriously, who the fuck does something like that?), and it's a whole other question whether the differences mean zsnes is actually the worse one.
You kinda proved the point, anybody hating on zsnes is actually a massive autistic moron. Good job reinforcing the stereotype.

I think it would be nice if the window had options at the top like "input", "video" etc like regular emulators.

Attached: ra.png (882x621, 248K)

I'm not trying to convince you, I'm only humoring you. Like I said before, enjoy your dogshit audio emulation retard

That's great but does it support VR like Emuvr?

I will enjoy my perfectly viable audio emulation thank you, retard.

no one cares, you can leave now

>no one cares
you cared enough to reply, so that's obviously false
>you can leave now
after you

it's an actual CRT (1920x240@120hz)
retroarch can run outside a display server straight from the linux virtual console

Attached: Stallman.png (264x338, 136K)

>phone UI

fuck you

I don't really get what the problem is. It's pretty great once you've used it for a while. I get that sometimes updates can break things but other than that I don't have many complaints. Certainly not to this extend.

>menus within menus within menus
Not really an argument. Some people find the column and row structure of the XMB confusing - which is kind of baffeling to me. Any multi-emulator frontend is bound to be complex in some why or other. Maybe you would prefer editing ini files. Most don't though.

>saving settings is an obtuse chore
You either turn on "save settings on exit" or you don't and do it manually. That's all there is to what are you talking about?

>hotkeys constantly resetting, they absolutely refuse to stay to what I set them to
I haven't experienced this problem I believe. What hotkeys are you trying to customize. Now if you have trouble getting your stuff to save as mentioned above that could be the cause, right?

>changing the 'threaded video' setting always causes a crash
Default is off I believe and it generally should stay off. Maybe not on android?

>appearently also drops savegames too from what reviews say
Now you're listing issues OTHER people have to talk it down? Why? You can find posts of people having issues with every single little minute thing in RetroArch if you look for it.

>what kind of setups do you use?
Really depends on the system. Either I use webm related but not so often anymore. Only set it up for the heck of it really. For many of the platforms it launches libretro core through RetroArch anyway and so I've gone back to using that directly in those cases. Stand-alone exceptions are DeSmuME, Dolphin, M2, MAME, PCSX2, DOSBox and sometimes I use stand-alone Mednafen. There are a few other I'm sure maybe PPSSPP or Demul but I have a DC core (Flycast) installed too.

Attached: Too_Late_Nintendo_2.webm (960x540, 2.59M)

>Some people find the column and row structure of the XMB confusing

And those people should just switch to glui and stop complaining

I dont think the c buttons for N64 are mapped by default on retroarch, for keyboard

get a controller you doofus

>Maybe you would prefer editing ini files.
editing ini files would be way simpler and easier than what retroarch does in its GUI

are you being intentionally hyperbolic or are you legitimately this stupid?

The people who seem to like RetroArch's format also seem to be the people who don't want to play around with options too much. I see some comments ITT like "you just load up and play, its so easy". But for people who like to adjust a lot of things, Retroarch just sucks in my opinion, the menus are a nightmare

have you ever even attempted to use any other menu driver other than the default (and admittedly shit) one?

are you implying that editing ini files is difficult. you just open it up and adjust the value. better than trawling through ugly, disorganized option pages

>editing ini files would be way simpler and easier than what retroarch does in its GUI
But you can do that, user. Every setting can be changed that way. It's all documented.

>The people who seem to like RetroArch's format also seem to be the people who don't want to play around with options too much.
Nah, the way I see and hear me out on this. Most people on here are just complete idiots. They're just fucking stupid. That's all there is to it. Brainlets. Fucking dumbasses. Yeah, RetroArch might not be perfect but hey, if shit isn't outright broken, guess what? I adjust and move on. It's not fucking rocket science as they say. It's goddamned emulation bro and you're on the user experience side of things, not a developer. So shut your dumb ass the hell up and play those games. You're being a whiny bitch is what I say to them. It's ridiculous.

>the menus are a nightmare
How? How was the PS3 menu structure a nightmare? Have you even fucking seen what Xbox One and PS4 menus look like. They're unusable. It's complete madness on the Xbox One. Compared to those in RetroArch it is clear as day where everything in the menus is located and what it does.

everyone complains about the ps3 style menu

why the fuck doesn't anyone use glui

Put them in the systems folder.

Yeah but a lot of cores don’t have separate options like resolution, they just use main retroarch settings, it’s a goddamn mess

I literally use it everyday and your complaints are all retarded.
The only actual problem is the random crashes when trying to closes the current running core, but even then its not a big problem when the emulator opens in like 2 seconds.

>Retroarch just sucks in my opinion, the menus are a nightmare
What kind of brain damage do you gotta suffer to have any difficulty navigating a simple UI like Retroarch's? I'm honestly curious.

>it plays my snes games perfectly
>*super mario rpg crashes mid game and you lost a bunch of progress from the last time you saved the game*
whoops

>Zsnes has an amazing ui
OMG boomers need to be fucking gassed.
That shit was always horrid. It's the number one reason I switched to SNES 9X back in the day which had a normal fucking windows-style GUI.

works on my machine

>Also Zsnes can emulate music from certain romhacks that neither SNES9x and bsnes cant.
Seriously neck yourself with this gross misinformation.

yeah, retard who made the GUI obviously hates mouse controls

Attached: 1537542709345.jpg (1078x1600, 210K)

I've seen some other all in one emulators and find it incredibly funny that RetroArch's UI gets BTFO by a fucking all in one emulator on a fucking Apple computer.

>download retroarch and unzip
>download roms/isos and put in a folder
>start retroarch
>download the cores of whatever systems you wanna uses
>navigate to folder with roms/isos
>open a game and pick the core required for that game

There you go, a mini tutorial for you retards.
If you still fail to use Retroarch then you really are hopeless.

Everyone knows how to run the games dumbass, it’s that when changing the options or inputs for the games the GUI fucking sucks.

A lot of the options in the ini don’t even appear until you change shit already. The inis in general are really poorly put together. If you look up mupen64plus without a front end, the config file is much more suitable for editing

I knew something was weird.
It looked so sharp.
How does it look like from normal TV viewing distance? Like say from 5 feet away or so?

120hz? Fixed 120hz or a double the native refresh of an actual SNES(which is 60.09881hz)
Also are you using BFI to eliminate double image effect?

Retroarch is trash. The main appeal is supposed to be that it’s “a bunch of emulators under one fast and simple interface”, but it is really bad in this regard. Getting a bunch of separate emulators and putting them in an “emulator” folder on your pc is better and more convenient than what retroarch offers. Retroarch isn’t even convenient at all because fiddling with the options takes a lot longer than in other emulators and it sometimes seems to have problems (might not save, might affect something else) that other emulators just don’t have. In fact when I think of retroarch the word “convenience” never even comes to my mind, it’s like the opposite of convenience, it just seems to be a lot more work for simple emulation options. Also has the worst input interface in history

People also like it because with run ahead mode it has lower input latency than real hardware

no it doesn't.

prove it

Imagine using for anything outside of PS1 emulation, maybe DC if you're desperate for savestates than nulldc doesn't have

I gave up on retroarch a long time ago for the same reasons. i just use separate emulators. Never had a problem.

The genesis plus gx core is objectively the best option for genesis emulation

never had a problem with kega. what's the difference between the two? shaders? I don't care about shaders.

Fusion hasn’t been updated in a long time, genesis plus gx is newer with more accuracy and features

Configuring retroarch feels like pulling teeth

Has anyone made a custom UI to do that?

don't you understand these zsnes retards are just trying to shit up the conversation? they don't care about facts, they just want to annoy everyone and stir up contention

Ok so I know I’m a brainlet, but here’s my main issue. With this front end you basic are dealing with several different types of options:
>Retroarch options
>core options
>game options
I feel like it can be hard to tell exactly what you are changing and what it will affect; will it affect just this one thing, or everything? Will it save? That’s the confusing part for me.

I don't understand why people like you don't understand this. Core settings only effect that specific core. Game options only effect that specific game. Everything outside that applies to every core and game, unless there are settings otherwise.

but YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO FUCK WITH CORE SPECIFIC SETTINGS. You can just load the fucking shit and it works.
I'm getting into conspiracy mode now, there's no way so many of you could have the same argument against something that is a non-existent problem if you weren't trying to squash the use of it

I wouldn't be surprised if you fucks were working for nintendo and trying to make emulation seem inconvenient and undesirable so your own platform would seem less shit than it actually is

agree its trash I ended up dropping it for seperate emulators that have normal (good) UI's like SNES 9x and mesen

Well that's interesting, might as well do that when I emulate genesis games
Also I forgot that I used it for GBA, but it's mainly due to the fact that VBA kept fucking with my pokemon FRLG battery saves

did you even try changing the menu driver to something else? the default menu driver is shit I admit, but I find glui extremely usable

too bad it doesn't support switching cores

have sex incel

you first

>Core settings only effect that specific core. Game options only effect that specific game. Everything outside that applies to every core and game, unless there are settings otherwise.
You act like RA clearly designates every option in simple menus.

I am 100% convinced everyone who complains about RA's menus has not once tried to change the menu driver. I personally dislike the default PS3 style menu.

How do you change the menu driver. I googled it and it seems kind of complicated

Go to settings -> drivers -> menu and pick one from the list.

The more you post, the clearer it becomoes that this is pretty much the case. Just let them tire themselves out. You can't help those equipped with a inferior intellect (and no, I'm not being arrogant or elitist right now because if you have actual serious trouble using RetroArch, then make no mistake about it, you ARE in fact a dumbass) because you help them out with this thing but tomorrow it is another thing they can't handle on their own. Their whole lives consists of nothing but insurmountable hurdles that they need someone to help them with. It's a neverending task, don't waste your time. You might be inclined to offer some advice over the internet from time to time because it feels good to do good but don't for crying out loud to tire yourself out trying to convice brainlets that anything but their own incompetence is to blame when it comes to be grumpy at failing to set up and operate AN EMULATOR. Okay? They're made to be used. Albeit by normal people. Of at least normal, average intellects.

driver > menu driver > choose and then restard

I personally find glui the easiest to use

Attached: afsfsdfasdfasdf.jpg (586x934, 109K)

It's shit but functional desu, rather see them fix those atrocious scanning speeds on Android holy shit imagine having to spend hours scanning a big folder and then it "misses" half because it's not the exact format/title

Attached: 1567996431977.jpg (789x574, 126K)

It's shit, if you are a brainlet.

Thanks

I'm getting audio crackling when playing snes games, doesn't happen on ps1 or gba games. Does anybody have the same problem?

If I want to use emulators lll just use emulators and not a shitty front end

You're just another dumb ass. Probably using some ROMs you got payed with in a filthy backalley for a sloppy bj.

>RetroArch incoporates a ROM scanning system to automatically produce playlists. Each ROM that is scanned by the playlist generator is checked against a database of ROMs that are known to be good copies.

>In order for content to be correctly scanned, you must:
>Have a compatible core already downloaded and installed
>Update Core Info Files via Online Updater
>Update Databases via Online Updater
>Restart RetroArch if any of the above was just done

>Finally, the content must match existing databases from the libretro-database README (See: pic related)
github.com/libretro/libretro-database/blob/master/README.md

Literally too stupid to even find the documetation. I swear to you.

Attached: 1558002694699.jpg (1311x3032, 1018K)

That's going to be a yikes from me.

Nice assumptions there retard, all my sets were no-intro and I did all of those steps, still it took ages even when loading from the internal memory of my shield or an external hdd. Like literally hours for one set, felt like it struggled with alot of smaller files alot worse than lesser big ones.

>Set your display-reported refresh rate after running 2048 sample in the video driver section
> turn off threaded video
>turn off hard gpu sync
>turn off frame delay
>turn off black frame insertion
>turn off run ahead
>if you have 120 hz set v sync swap interval to 2
>turn ON audio synchronization in the audio driver section
None of these are core options
Try the bsnes mercury balanced core btw. Was the go to at least until very recently.

thanks user I'll try it

Xebra is fucking awesome

>NVIDIA Shield
>External HDD
>Can't get shit working right
>Calls others trying to actually help retards because he can't see through a little jest
Not a good look for you back alley fluffers. I'm dabbing on your ass scanning directorys on an SSD in seconds. Maybe get through some more dicks to afford better hardware I dunno.

Does there not exist a libretto application where I can just drag a core onto an exe, and it starts?

Have sex

Dilate.

I think it would be a lot easier to use if every core had its own separate config

You could write a batch file that you drag the ROM onto if you want. It would then still launch RetroArch of course but you wouldn't have to see it anymore before you start playing. Hitting the Guide / Home / button combo on your controller or however you have that set up would still bring up the Quick Menu for example. It's basically how works for some of the platforms. I don't see a reason for this though. Starting a game in RetroArch shouldn't be too difficult right? Or are you trying to ignore the fact that you're actually using RA because you hate it THAT much?

go to driver -> audio driver and switch it to xaudio

that might help

just gid gud faggot

You mean stored in different ini files for those that want to use those? Because you absolutely can change things around and then set those changes to either be global, platform, core or game specific. It that might in fact all end up in one settings file. I'm not sure of that. I really only go into the ini stuff for RA if I fuck something up and it doesn't work anymore or when an option is actually not represented in the GUI.

>Have sex
I know you will. How much is it per pop? 20? 25? If you get busy now you might be able to afford a decent hardware solution this afternoon even. Don't overdo though. You're in it for he long run.

Oh my god user it worked, thank you so much! The audio crackling was leaving me nuts.

Attached: brohug.gif (556x250, 2.8M)

Nice. Glad it worked.

nigga what? this was my first proper emulator and it seemed fine, what're yall having issues with maybe i can help

That being said, i do wonder which things are better to emulate from another standalone emulator, been thinking of playing N64 games like Donky Kong and Paper Mario

Attached: 1522443477073.gif (200x161, 986K)

Honestly that does sound better than going into theads about the android version of retroach just to flex your "decent hardware solution" to a bunch of anons. But whatever gives you people validation I guess.

>Honestly that does sound better than...
Does it now? Well, you've got your work cut out for you until then. I doubt most complaints in here are about the Android version just because OP mentioned that.

>not modifying an existing rainmeter skin to create your own launcher with neatly arranged icons to all your games

Attached: 1.jpg (1920x1080, 1.1M)

I'm autistic, is there any way to have the game's cover art show up when I'm browsing it, sort of like Netflix? If I have to download the pictures myself, that's fine

First menu -> Online updater -> Playlist Thumbnail ipdater

Looks like shit.

I don't know how that question attests you autism but whatever. If anything it makes you look as stupid as the rest of these guys in here because of how ridiculously easy it is. The result will not really look like Netflix however. There's some more customization options. You'll figure it out - yeah right, kek.

Boot RetroArch > Online Updater > Thumbnails Updater > Download desired thumbnail set

For more details please see this post

It's highly modifiable so if you could make it look like shit that you like, fag

Attached: 94596620.jpg (600x600, 52K)

I don't care I'm just saying yours looks like shit.

To specify a little more, I linked that other post about playlists because you need to set those up as well. Otherwise RA wouldn't know what to do with those thumbnails and which thumbnails belongs to which game. Makes sense right? The playlist entries are where all those pictures will show up.

>zsnes's audio emulation is fucking trash
Or maybe it's your shitty chink speaker lmao.

Well you know, in this day and age even your penis is highly modifiable. You can get rid of it and make it look like shit you like... but I'd rather not.

Try EmulationStation

I just use MyBoy and its NDS and and GBC brothers. Gotten free, of course. Also, jnes.

What does this have to do with anything?

Attached: 1123645983056.jpg (480x480, 38K)

I veto that. Don't use EmulationStation. At least not on Windows.

Reasons not to use EmulationStation on Windows:
>You're a Windows user. You 90% more likely to be too stupid to write the requires systems.cfg file
>The Windows version of ES is abandoned. Dead. It's already outdated as fuck. The metadata scanner doesn't work anymore. It has no support for bookmarks/favorites and is missing a ton of other features.
>It performes like ass. Basically causes 100% load on one of your CPU cores whenever you're looking at it - not when playing games and it's minimized. Every time you shut it down it updates all of it's stupid XMLs and continues to hog cpu perfomance at 100% load for another minute or so.

Nice cocept, nice visuals. Horrible, horrible execution. Believe me, because I made this

It's a metaphor, Peter. I was likening your little frontend to a sex change. Get off the phone though and go fight some crime. You're good at that.

Ok how is the version for Raspberry Pi? That's what I'm trying to set up right now

That's a whole different story. EmulationStation is one of the default frontend options when installing RetroPie. So you might just want to go with RetroPie. Standalone exists for Linux, but you should do some researching if that's what you want because I believe several forks exist offering slightly varying features.

But why were you likening it to sex change of all things?

Attached: 1455845698217.png (502x500, 238K)

Translation, you little troll:
I COULD use your ugly ass frontend. I COULD spend the time to make it a less ugly ass frontend. I could ALSO cut of my dick and turn it into a boypussy. Doesn't mean I WILL. In fact. I WON'T. They about EQUALLY AS APPEALING.

I didn't really mean that though. It's cool that you made that on your own in fact.

The first "Looks like shit" reply wasn't by me either. I have nothing against the look.

>troll
It's just a peculiar choice for an analogy and plus, whenever I post something, which happens very rarely, I usually expect something along the lines of but thanks anyway

Don't worry, posts from different people are easily distinguishable, as long as they don't try to samefag

Is there an option to just turn off the retropad completely?

You'd have to elaborate a little further. What's the issue? There are predefined controller profiles you can select other than the RetroPad. You can see those under the input section. Platform specific profiles are only selectable once a core and game has been started in the cores quick menu options. You can turn off auto configuration. You can also set any changes to be global, platform, core or game specific. Some cores might be a little buggy with this shit - looking at you Beetle Saturn.