Bad story

>Bad story
>Bad plot twist
>Bad gameplay
Does this game have ANY redeeming factors whatsoever?

Attached: ff8-logo.jpg (755x552, 169K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3v6BtJaBQmo
youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs&t=13s
youtube.com/watch?v=kjTw1Wcjzf8
youtube.com/watch?v=frzO5OX8zf4
youtube.com/watch?v=RCLojwnEQZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=1eU0tRBHnE0
youtube.com/watch?v=k5VhscZJXcE&t=80s
youtube.com/watch?v=RVkcmx2l3WA
youtube.com/watch?v=l75zjpDpAWs
youtube.com/watch?v=SKI8RFr0Ec8
streamable.com/ej028
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Does this game have ANY redeeming factors whatsoever?
Yeah the entire game is a retard casual filter. Thanks for demonstrating

Deepest and best developed protagonist of the series.

Attached: Squall.jpg (960x720, 121K)

some of the gf abilities and junction system are kind of neat.. sort of

the draw system ruins it though

OP is a faggot as usual. Great music, great world, great cast of characters, great optional boss fights. Eat shit OP.

>enc-none available right near the start of the game

At least this allows you to cut out the battles and progress through the story quickly enough that it almost seems coherent.

To answer your question, the OST is pure gold and the junction system is pretty awesome (in theory anyway)

To be honest I'm replaying this for the first time since the original release and it's no where near as good as I remember it being. It's easy to see the flaws that I didn't see back then. So I wouldn't fault anyone playing it for the first time today

Music
Aesthetics
Setting

People really liked triple triad
People also have fun breaking the game since it's systems are kinda goofy

Yeah, it triggers retards.

Yes. Quistis.

I can hear it just from the pic.
youtube.com/watch?v=3v6BtJaBQmo

The whole junction stuff is pretty interesting to figure initially although once you solve it it's just straight up broken

He is actually a really cool character. Thought I would hate him early on cause of pic related but god damn is he a really good character.

Attached: image.png (450x552, 297K)

>triple triad
>quisty
>too OP in early game
Not too fond of the junction mechanic but whatever

Much like Zelda TP, it appeals to edgy teens.
And they will defend it.

You were never meant to draw 100 of every spell right away, just like you weren't meant to grind to level 100 instantly in other games

That's true but if you can do the grind to level 100 in 4-5 hours early on instead of 30+ hours later on. As someone new to FFVIII it's kind of hard to figure out how many draws are a "good" enough amount of draws but usually you can just grind it out a bit if enemies get though

The only people who hate Squall are jealous incels and shallow retards too stupid to understand the legit problems he deals with.

The soundtrack.

This is the only thing.

Imagine being a brainlet even today.

All Junction needed was a limit to how much magic you can stick on a stat based on your level. That alone would have fixed everything.
Can't become OP immediately by putting 100 Ultima on whatever.
Get stronger gradually through both leveling up and more "capacity" to Junction on stats so you would want to actually level up.
And you'd have some spare magic in Stock that you might want to actually use.

>redeeming factor
The only one you need.

Attached: Best Girl.jpg (1260x1921, 731K)

8 has a lot of issues but Squall's character development really makes it special for me.

I remember loving Triple Triad back in the day but it's utterly broken/unbalanced and patently garbage to play from the perspective of an actual card game

>begin the game with shit cards and no interesting rules, essentially making it "highest number wins"
>most players have way better cards than you and will wreck your shit
>have to play the meta game of challenging progressively better players while you build a deck
>finally start amassing some good cards
>can now easily win every game because no one else has a comparable collection
>finally get some interesting rules like plus and same that should be the DEFAULT rules, because now you don't need them
>these rules can be removed at any time by random meta fuckery
>DIRECT
>random is actually tolerable assuming you either manage your deck or have other rules that allow for skillful play even with shitty cards

The entire challenge in it comes down to the meta management and not the actual game. The game should have had fixed rules and opponents with an easily identifiable skill level and rare card users should have been completely randomized so that playing random people wasn't meaningless. The game has zero value as an actual game, I've watched TT playout in real life and it's painfully unfun

>tfw she can deep throat vore most monsters
Christ...

>first time playing ff8
>characters pass out
>dream of sick shit
>dope battle track
This shit sold the game for me
youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs&t=13s

Attached: giphy.gif (250x232, 672K)

Imagine spending your life getting good at a card game only to have some cunt to come along with a OP picture of his face and fuck your shit up

I would have just limited how much magic each monster holds. Being able to draw 300 spells from a single monster is what's broken. No name scrubs shouldn't have more than 3 of any spell. If you want to fight 100 of them, then that's your liberty playing a JRPG. But it would have made it feel a lot more like grinding which should cue the "I'm going to make this too easy" warning

>This guy is totally wrecking me
>His cards have easily 3-4 times the totals most of mine do
>I know! I'll use my one rare card that I've been saving along with these 4 other shitty cards that have never worked for me

There really isn't that makes it worthwhile. Good soundtrack and Squall is a cool bro stuck in a meandering mess of a story full of plotholes. The party roster is lame, level scaling monsters makes every minor encounter a chore, the gameplay feels like a straight downgrade from the previous installment, and the junction system straight up breaks the game.

At least it tried to do something different though.

>music
>world
>side content
the junction system would have been cool too if it was balanced better, it's still fun to see how much you can break the game with it though at least

At least the ending was actually satisfying, unlike FF7.

Attached: 80565386.jpg (1280x737, 107K)

>Muh draw is tedious

Git gud or change the rules

The music is pretty tight.

youtube.com/watch?v=kjTw1Wcjzf8

youtube.com/watch?v=frzO5OX8zf4

youtube.com/watch?v=RCLojwnEQZ0

You can't change the rules at the beginning of the game since you can't leave the region of Balamb and you actually stand to lose several rare cards if you don't get them then. "Git gud" in Triple Triad means "make a deck with numbers higher than your opponents cards". There's zero skill involved. If you'd actually read my post you'd understand the logic behind this claim, but suffice it to say it's a meta game

The setting is pretty cool. I remember trying the game at a friend's house, I had never played a RPG before so fighting through a menu was confusing to me but I thought the military setting was cool and made me want to get the game. I thought the whole game would just be military stuff and going on various missions. I still think that aspect of the game is really cool although the game focuses less and less on that as the story progresses. I still think the Dollet invasion part at the beginning of the game is fucking kino from start to finish, I wanted a whole game of that.

>That alone would have fixed everything.
First time player here
So far I'm liking the concept of Junction but what kills it for me is just the terrible UI for it. There's like three fucking menus you have to go through to set up a character each time you switch GFs around and it's just tiresome. And I only have like 7 GFs at the moment, can't imagine how bad it will be at endgame

wew found the casual fag, nice b8 m8
it has one of best OST in all FF franchise, its also a really nice story that comes into full circle when youre at the end of the game, great gameplay because it is actually ATB unlike those pure turn based shit where brainlets will just scroll around for their items and make choices far longer than they shouldve.

She needs all those calories for the hours upon hours of intense loving.

Attached: Quistis17f310f3f8b5ef48014107f70049dceb.png (600x800, 514K)

yeah but brainlets and casualfags still dont know how to do it and yet they have the audacity to make complaints about something they know nothing about

do what? select cards with higher totals than others?

It's really not a complex game. It just has a huge barrier for entry because they start you with shitty cards, so you can either very slowly and painstakingly build up your deck by challenging retards, or wait until you get the card ability to make cards that way (also not fun or fast). At any rate the game is only ever difficult at the beginning because of how unbalanced they made it

What was her fucking problem?

Attached: fec237a02bb6a622b0ac020f4a250c31.jpg (480x640, 173K)

Seifer never gave her dick

Was Raijin a precursor for Wakka? They talk and behave the same way, never noticed it before.

She was a fucking chunni nerd.

RAGE.

FF8 is so blatantly unfinished I'm surprised more people haven't even noticed it after all these years.

for like half the game i thought she was screaming all the time because she was deaf or something

God tier music, environments, and enemy/GF designs.

Be more specific

Attached: 1404683107847.webm (390x242, 178K)

The worst thing about FFVIII for me is that the entire plot relies on Ellone having a very specific kind of time magic, yet there is never any explanation for why she has these abilities. This sticks out like a sore thumb in a world where every time a human uses magic there's some kind of explanation for it (sorceresses, GF's, para-magic etc) and it really bugs me.

>not cerberus.webm
One job

Impossible to translate verbal tic.

>all these rare cards you can't get unless you purposefully lost other rare cards earlier in the game
FUCK YOU

Honestly, at first, I was wondering if Ellone was a sorceress too. Sure, I was 12 at the time but I couldn't be the only one who was thinking this right?

I'm not big on trying to apply logic to fantasy narratives

>Chocobos are useless
>Weird empty spaces in the open world
>GFs more than likely had a significant importance of the story given the final boss
>Lunatics Pandora had doors randomly locked even though level design signified you were supposed to go through them
>FMVs set the game up to be more dramatic than it was
>Several other Square games had their funding stripped in attempt to keep this game alive

It's a very conceptually interesting game and find it really engaging to play but a lot of shit seems weirdly half-assed for Final Fantasy. Hope to see it remade after FF7.

Attached: tumblr_nn9udo85fb1ut1g04o2_540.gif (540x189, 97K)

I think that's what everyone was thinking at first, but then the story explicitly rules that out and in the end your left with no explanation for why she has these powers.

Sounds mostly like conjecture. A game of this size back then was basically unheard of so it's not surprising that it feels disjointed, but that's the most you've demonstrated

>after FF7
They will never finish FF7

Yeah I'm curious what's up with the huge number of FMVs. It's like they thought that was the thing people liked most about VII and tried to cram as many in as possible, even when there was nothing that merited having an FMV for

music nigga

HOME
youtube.com/watch?v=1eU0tRBHnE0

>It's like they thought that was the thing people liked most about VII
It was the thing that sold VII the most, that's for sure. Cinematic trailers for a movie game. 7 is where that started. Most of the people who bought 7 didn't even get through disc 1 because they hated it

As insane as it sounds, FF8 operates on a realm of scientific logic that only the Japs and the manic would be able to comprehend. It's really fucking cool but virtually impossible to explain unless you're invested in the realm of quantum physics.

Yes.

Attached: D54ad0GV4AItGMU.jpg (849x1200, 138K)

whatever

>unless you're invested in the realm of quantum physics.
Please don't sully actual scientific theory with this. FF8 might be a pseudo-scientifically themed world based in a quasi-realistic world but it's 100% horseshit

It's just advanced functioning.

nigward wuut? every happy ending is an unfinished game, it up to the person on how he will perceive it after he finishes playing the game with a happy ending.

The game is decent, anyone who says the gameplay is objectively bad didnt make it very far.

So what the hell was time compression anyway?

>functioning
Meant to write junctioning

Can anyone give me a guide on how to do this?

quantum superposition but bullshit

Make each character draw 100 of every spell you encounter.
Make your GFs learn all of the "Stat"-J abilities first.
Auto-junction your magic for Atk.
There, you just broke the game. You can break it more by figuring out what it is you're doing

If that's all it is then how come she's the only one in the whole world who can do it? If it was just an advanced form of junctioning then surely you would expect a powerful sorceress like Ultimecia or the mtf-tranny sorceress to be able to do it?

Is there a tutorial somewhere for a total novice so I can cheese the game instead of being baffled by junctions and gfs?

It involves grinding the fish at the beach near the balamb garden to convert their drops into cards and then make the cards into broken spells. You can just google an 100% walkthrough, pretty much all of them recommend it at the start

Artistically, yes, but unless you took the time to analyse it, it has more than just quantum physics itself but mumbo jumbo that can actually has an application of use given the right circumstances.

Without going into detail, all I will say is that the people designing the game were not amateurs and 99% made sure that whatever was (attempted) to be put into the game operated on a scientific logic.
I can't break it down any further than that.

Being better than IX

came here to make this very post
the game is still rough as all fucking hell though

no

youtube.com/watch?v=k5VhscZJXcE&t=80s

Attached: 879824.gif (386x216, 991K)

What logic does a flying garden (that is also a seafaring vessel) have? It has none. It's somehow more retarded than airships.

>meandering mess of a story
Seemed pretty well-paced and straightforward (albeit wacky/anime-esque) to me.
>full of plotholes
Name one.

>very slowly and painstakingly
You can card enemies right outside the Garden for boss-level cards. The fucking bomb cards and Ifrit card from the fire cavern are better than 90% of the npc's cards in the entire Balamb area. You can also quickly and easily spread the All trade rule around Balamb and get a whole set of better cards than your starting deck in ONE GAME/WIN. Once you get Ifrit/Quistis/MiniMog/Zell you're pretty much unbeatable for the entire game and you can get those cards before THE FIRST MISSION. All this shit takes like 20 minutes to an hour max. And even if you don't do any of this you get GF-level cards just for playing through the story. Once you get the Brothers and Diablos cards to go with your Ifrit, you are again OP as hell and basically can't lose, and it requires ZERO effort.

>play cards
>learn card mod
>learn -mag rf abilities
>learn HP-J, Str-J, etc
>refine cards into items, then into magic, then junction them to your stats

Attached: s.jpg (1920x1080, 174K)

Bullshit. You can get 300+ curaga at the start of the game with no grinding. Getting OP spells from triple triad on disc 1 isn't hard either. The game was designed to reward people that used the gf crafting abilities. Comparing it to grinding to level 100 in other FF games is nonsense.

>You can card enemies right outside the Garden for boss-level cards
You don't even HAVE "card" until you get Quetzacoatl which is after Dollet, and it requires a good AP investment.

The rest of your post ironically is a great argument for how trash the game is, so thanks for agreeing with me

>ou can get 300+ curaga at the start of the game with no grinding.
By spending hours playing cards which is another virtual grind. If grinding = spending way too long in a segment of a game, then does it really matter what you're doing whether it's spamming the A button killing monsters or playing a braindead card game that's impossible to lose once you build up your deck?

>you get Quetzacoatl which is after Dollet
What? You start the game with him.

Colour extraction.

>Quez is after Dollet
Why do FF8 haters always have no idea what they're talking about. Every time. Without fail.

Nevermind that. You have to learn card though. Anyway the point is you can't just start playing Triple Triad. There's a barrier of entry which involves getting better cards than the game hands you, because if you actually try to play with those card you will not have a good time

>By spending hours playing cards which is another virtual grind.
No, you can just refine Tents into curaga spells, no grind needed.

Wrong. You get it by buying tents from a vendor and crafting them into curagas with Siren. You can do this at the start of the game and it takes 5 minutes.

what was up with the hot dogs?

And where did you get all that money at the beginning of the game with no grind?

I made a mistake. It's a far cry from having no idea what I'm talking about

It's not like you actually can grind for money in VIII. No one is going to run around doing nothing for 25k steps just for more cash

By doing the SeeD exam. The salary it gives you is ridiculous.

All of these steps are necessary to obtain curaga (and to know the most direct obtainment method, which also involves AP grinding because Siren doesn't know that ability to start with and you don't even have her at the beginning)

I don't even know what your point is anymore. Yes, you can break the game, I never argued otherwise, but you can break most JRPGs by spending too long somewhere, so FF8 is no exception.

>Good story
>Good plot twist
>Good gameplay
Does this game have ANY negative factors whatsoever?

You can only gain so many levels before you get locked out by Squall's actual level. But I thought this was "no grinding at the beginning of the game"? You can't even take those tests at the start.

What else are you going to spend your money on?

You know different npcs have different level decks right? You can easily find players with the same cards you start with if you want "fair" games right at the start. And the game literally hands you the best cards all the damn time. There's almost zero barrier of entry because of how easy it is to get great cards and how npcs never have more than 1 GF or Player card, while you always have 5/6 (whatever the hand limit is, I forget) every game.

An actual argument, maybe.

It's been a while since I played the game but all I know is that I always used to get to Dollet with 3000 hp and it took minimal effort.

>You know different npcs have different level decks right? You can easily find players with the same cards you start with if you want "fair" games right at the start
Yes, and this is what I said.
> so you can either very slowly and painstakingly build up your deck by challenging retards,
i.e. find people with shitty cards like you are slowly build up. I know it's fucking slow because I did it this way as I forgot you get cards just from fightin GFs like Ifrit. Took me at least an hour before I could win on a regular basis, and then all of the sudden the challenge goes out the window when you get player cards and the game becomes unloseable. Thus unbalance trash. It's not a game of skill, it's a game of highest number and the only hard part is when you literally have no cards because they start you with the worst ones imaginable and this is before you have the ability to make cards

The card game actually makes sense how you play it unlike in 9

>I always used to break the game before getting to Dollet
Ok? You know you can use a phoenix down on the president, too? FF games are full of shit like this.

>If that's all it is then how come she's the only one in the whole world who can do it?
She's some kind of prodigy like those autists who can calculate a big math equation like 26543 x 163534 in a second.

>you would expect a powerful sorceress like Ultimecia or the mtf-tranny sorceress to be able to do it?
Junctioning was invented short before or after Adel was imprisoned so she wouldn't even know it's possible to do or wouldn't have had the time to learn it before being imprisoned. As for Ultimecia we really don't know much about her situation in the future.

Do you not know how to follow a conversation or something? The point is you can get 300 curaga at the start of the game without spending hours playing triple triad.

>requires a good AP investment
learning card only requires 40AP, the fishes at balamb's beach provide 3 each. thanks for proving you're an idiot

You don't even get Siren until Dollet so I don't know how you managed to pull this off beforehand, so I don't think causality is your strong suit either

You weren't being specific so I assumed converting from cards. Grinding GF abilities and then grinding gil and then buying tents is all still grinding. Not to mention just making your HP high isn't going to help much, most monsters have drawable cure spells for fuck's sake, it's almost impossible to lose the beginning of the game

That's a lot at the beginning of the game for someone who isn't going into it with the intention of grinding and who should just be able to start playing a card game with an entry level difficulty curve

Triple Triad is unreasonably difficult with the starter deck they give you. This is really my only point. You can make whatever excuses you want around this fact, but this fact is not up for debate.

Did she really do anything wrong? She would've been a good person if it wasn't for the persecution she suffered. If she knew she could've just prevented that part instead of being stuck in the time loop, she likely would've done that.

Attached: ultimecia.png (975x1121, 911K)

>Junctioning was invented short before or after Adel was imprisoned
Adel obviously knew about Ellone's powers because that's the whole reason she kidnapped her.
>As for Ultimecia we really don't know much about her situation in the future.
We know that she's from far off in the future and we know that she can't do whatever it is that Ellone does, she needs a machine for it.

you might as well make an argument on how each party member should join your party along with their level 10 player card at this rate, or do you want triple triad "booster packs" as dlc since you're assuming every new player is as stupid and lazy as you

Alright, yeah, I meant after Dollet, my bad. But my point was that you can get strong spells early in the game without much effort. The gf refinement skills barely take any grinding to get and you can get other strong spells like quake without grinding which makes your attack obscenely high early on.
Basically saying that using the junction system like that is the equivalent to grinding to level 100 is just wrong.

Incels relate to Squall and fantasize about getting the pure maiden like him
I know I did

can i just play them all on mednafen or do i use the steam ports with mods

Ifrit gives 20AP and those fish give 3 each you can learn card in literally 10 minutes.
>TT is unreasonably difficult with the starter deck
No it isn't. Also it's a starter deck.
>That's my only point
You have no point, then.
>this fact is not up for debate.
You're retarded.

Imagine for a second that you're playing FF8 as a normal person who hasn't played it a billion times and read every strategy guide, nay, they actually want to just play the game and not read a lecture about it, the way a game should be played

You're presented with a mini-game card game and you're given a deck of starter cards and told to challenge people. Unbeknownst to you your deck is awful and you won't know this until you start challenging people and losing all of the time. You might eventually figure out that some people have better average cards than others so you figure you'll work your way up, but this process is slow and deliberate, and yet has a snowballing effect that exponentially decreases the difficulty until there is virtually none and the game becomes impossible to lose. Even as the game adds rules and complexity (which ironically would have been more useful at the start as you can actually win with bad cards with enough rules to work in your favor) it never really trumps having unbeatable cards and a strategy that an 70 IQ savant could put together, so the balance of the game falls flat on its ass

This is an assbackwards difficulty curve.

Yes there's the card ability and GF cards and dozens of other cards you're awarded as you progress through the story, but just being presented the game at the beginning, you don't know this. If someone tries to play Triple Triad when given their starter deck, and they lose, it's not their fault. It's just a result of the game being horrendously set up.

Haven't beaten the game yet, but Rinoa strikes me as the least pure girl in the game

She was pure in my heart when I was 12

Welcome to 1999.

I was hoping for Nice! with instructor Quistis but I see that it's boring traditional japanese waifu so I became less interested.

Also isn't Lulu in this game?

>Seifer's sloppy summer seconds
>possessed by an eternally vengeful rape victim
>pure
Are you by chance an aspiring hero of justice

>No it isn't. Also it's a starter deck.
Try it. Boot up a new game and try to play with the starter deck. Took me an hour to get mini mog, and I hated it.

That's why it's just a fantasy. You're an awkward lonely guy in college, you're struggling with your exams and you meet this girl and you just know you want her, so you start chasing her to the other side of the world.

Lulu is FFX.

Emulate 8, the PC port has a bunch of problems.

>Does this game have ANY redeeming factors whatsoever?
its the pleb filter of the old ff you stupid piece of shit

Equip a GF with Str-J
Junction the strongest magic you have on to Strength
Kill 99% of the game's enemies effortlessly by holding down X to Attack

Attached: thats it.png (364x480, 68K)

It's a fucking starter deck. What do you expect? And once that player gets the Ifrit card they'll see what a good card looks like and can try again, now with a much improved deck
It's not "unreasonable" to lose to a kid with better cards.

This is my theory. Ellone's power isn't unique to her, anyone could do it. But she's some kind of prodigy or savant who just knew how to do it for some reason, not in a "magical power" way, but in a "her brain is wired differently and she easily understands this incredibly complex thing" way. I believe her power is actually some kind of junctioning for two reasons. First, Odine studied her and invented junctioning shortly after. Second, he invented a machine that could replicate Ellone's power and called it a Junction Machine. Therefore, her power must be related to junctioning. And junctioning is about connecting with another being, which is what Ellone does. As for why the sorceresses can't do it; as I said, I don't think it's "magic" so much as "something anyone could do but it's really complicated" which is why they need Odine's machine to do it. Even if it WAS magic, the timeframe doesn't help them. Although Adel knew of Ellone's power, she wouldn't have known it was a form of junctioning, and she was imprisoned too shortly after Odine's study to do anything with that knowledge anyway. As for Ultimecia, she wouldn't know it was junctioning at all, so she wouldn't have a good starting point to learn how to do it without the Junction Machine.

>It's a fucking starter deck. What do you expect?
A good game? You fanboys build it up like this deep complex game and it's not. It's literally fucking highest number and the only difficulty is derived from having to build your deck, not the game itself.

A good game that involves skill instead of grinding for cards would be enjoyable with any deck

baste

>Any redeeming qualities
The OST is full of bangers and all around great and if you disagree, you just have no taste.

Imagine for a second that you're playing FF8 as a normal person who hasn't played it a billion times and read every strategy guide, nay, they actually want to just play the game and not read a lecture about it, the way a game should be played

You're presented with a Junction ingame and you're given a couple of GFs and told to junction spells. Unbeknownst to you your Junction is awful and you won't know this until you start leveling up and losing all of the time. You might eventually figure out that some spells have better stats than others so you figure you'll work your way up, but this process is slow and deliberate, and yet has a snowballing effect that exponentially decreases the difficulty until there is virtually none and the game becomes impossible to lose. Even as the game adds abilities and complexity (which ironically would have been more useful at the start as you can actually Junction with bad Spells with enough abilities to work in your favor) it never really trumps having unbeatable Spells and a using Auto-Junction that an 70 IQ savant could put together, so the balance of the game falls flat on its ass

This is an assbackwards difficulty curve.

Yes this is exactly how you sound retard. If you hate learning to play the game and expect things to be handed to you on a silver platter, go back to fortnite or something.

I never once said or even implied that it's a deep or complex game, just that your point about "barrier of entry" is absolutely retarded.

You are playing a JRPG, the entire genre is about getting bigger numbers to defeat stronger foes.

>Zell choking to death on a hotdog

It truly was a great ending.

Attached: Zell.jpg (676x360, 26K)

Can you get back unique cards if you refine them?

this. your starter deck sucking shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. not only does common sense suggest it, but the genre itself is centered around the concept of grinding out improvements for yourself.

yes on Disc 4, provided you clear the CC group sidequest prior to reaching Disc 4. One of the npc plays every card

>. If you hate learning to play the game
It's funny that I'm the retard and you say something this stupid as to demonstrate a complete lack of understanding.

All the time spent was not spent learning how to play Triple Triad. It was spent building a deck that wasn't shit. Triple Triad has zero inherent difficulty. It's the shittiest of minigames that was clearly inspired by Pokemon or something equally banal.

>You're an awkward lonely guy in college, you're struggling with your exams and you meet this girl and you just know you want her, so you start chasing her to the other side of the world.

>Irony: your much hotter teacher that you saw every day wanted you and chased you to the other side of the world

Why are Square protags so retarded?

>just that your point about "barrier of entry" is absolutely retarded.
If you approach it like a normal mini game, when you're first presented the game and not 20 hours later when you've amassed broken cards, then yes, it is difficult to get the ball rolling.

Nice. I played the game when it first came out but I was obviously a noob. I think I'll replay it properly one day.

People like TT because it's simple and easy to play. And collecting cards is fun. No one thinks it deep and complex, lol. It does require some skill, though. Especially in the beginning when you only have 1 good card in Ifrit and random bullshit rules aren't in play yet.

>It does require some skill, though. Especially in the beginning
To the contrary, the beginning is when the least skill is involved because there are no rules at play. It's simply whoever has the highest number wins.

I personally just thought the tutorial for it was really bad, it made me think that Same and Plus were the main rules of the game and not special rules. It was not clear at all that it was just a high low game and so I lost several times without understanding why

>Yeah the entire game is a retard casual filter.
This. Faggots that grind getting angry is great.

youtube.com/watch?v=RVkcmx2l3WA
redeemed

I've already made a post reflecting this, but I would have made certain rules fixed like same, plus. Maybe it's a lot to take in at the beginning, if you're an idiot. But it makes playing with a shitty deck managable instead of painful.

People bitch about Random because they never actually learn how to play the real game

more like you don't even understand how the game works retard. the more you post, the more it shows that you suck at the game. come back and whine again when you actually cleared the queen of cards and cc group sidequest, noob

>20 hours later
You get the Ifrit card and the card ability within the first 10 to 20 minutes into the game.
>It's difficult to get the ball rolling.
It's not.

It's not like your cards have 1 on every side with the opponent have 9 on every side. You can get some cards with like a 5 on two sides but then a 2 on the other sides. So using it at the right moment or spot where the weak sides already have another card/side of the board protects your card.

The draw system, leveling system, GF abilities and junctions are all inherently linked, at least say the game is easily broken due to the Card spell existing. Drawing was actually an interesting idea.

Quistis best girl
Rinoa a shit (not really, I just prefer Quistis)

Its a legit tactic early game, but it will backfire endgame when all the same/plus/wall combo kicks in and you lose the entire board

For me, it's Selphie.

Attached: 8939654972729a03cd31a90f70f74225.jpg (1100x990, 327K)

The soundtrack and Triple Triad.
That's about it.

I never finished the game as a kid and also I didn't understand half the plot. If I want to replay it, should I go with the original or is the remaster actually good?

Best music, Uematsu agreed don't bother him about it.

Renzokuken is the most badass attack move in the history of video games.
Getting every R1 strikes then Lionheart procs. Fucking goosebumps inducing during the Ultimecia fight.

Attached: ff8_deep_sea_reseach_center_2_ultima_weapon_limit.jpg (960x672, 75K)

thank ya

>the more it shows that you suck at the game.
I'm talking about the perspective of someone who has just started playing the game. TT has an unreasonable barrier for entry as presented.

>It's not.
You're presented the game way before you go fight Ifrit.

The only problem with drawing is the fact that it's like 3 or 4 spells given per draw, when 100 is the max limit, and buffing your magic stat only boosts it to like 9 or some shit. It should have been default like 20 spells minimum and high magic characters should have been able to draw 50+ per draw. Drawing magic from your enemy is an awesome concept, they just made it way too tedious... for most people, I actually didn't mind personally.

>mess around with the game
>find out there's a limit to how much magic you can hold
>find out you can't discard magic

That was kinda lame.

>perspective of someone
oh you simply meant yourself, suck less buddy

>is the remaster actually good?
It's a flawed port with PC-mod-tier additions, at best. It's functional, especially if you want to play it on a platform that can't play the original, but I don't think it gains much in the plus column if you can already play the original elsewhere

You been spotted for being a baiter. I will laugh really hard and post a picture of my laughter.

Attached: LOLLLLLL.jpg (217x217, 9K)

Is me wanting to marry Quistis a redeeming factor?

except you can discard magic, press square to discard

>way before
You literally pick up the cards on your way to the Fire Cavern. You're actually given the FC mission before the cards. And the cards are an optional conversation too.

>You will know that you're not dreaming

Attached: Final_Fantasy_8_Opening_Main.jpg (633x356, 34K)

>suck less buddy
In a game of high low. Wow, this guy right here, how do I become a skilled player such as him who can pull out the higher numbered cards so gracefully? How does he do it?

Since you're clearly mentally retarded, it's this simple. When the game first says "HEY, TRIPLE TRIAD IS A THING THAT EXISTS, PLAY IT, HERE'S SOME CARDS", the game is unreasonably difficult to actually do as the game suggests and play it. If you want to stop everything and succeed at the game, at this juncture, you need to either:
a) find the retards who only have low level cards and slowly work your way up to higher level players, or
b)
>go level your GFs
> to learn an ability to turn monsters into cards
> fight said monsters and knock them down to a low enough HP
>use the card ability
>repeat until you have a deck that isn't shit
>go back to a) and since you still need to get player/gf cards

The entirety of Balamb should have nothing but other players who have cards as shitty as you if they were going to do the difficulty curve correctly

>If you want to stop everything and succeed at the game, at this juncture
ok buddy, thanks for showing you're retarded

But that's my whole point?
THE GAME, WHEN INTRODUCED TO THE PLAYER, IS AWFUL
Jesus. I'm fucking done with you and whatever learning disability you have.

>This never played an add rule game.

>you're not le smart enough to understand it

Attached: 1534146314832.png (657x539, 110K)

A rule not added until way later, I might add. And at that point your deck is so powerful it doesn't matter. If you're too stupid to watch your opponents cards not to get fucked in the ass, then you are retarded.

I got the Seifer card before leaving for Timber. cry more.

It's because that was the thing people liked most about VII.
FMV's were all the rage.

lol cope
9 is better than this shitpile

Yeah because Incels totally have a girl like Quistis drooling over them

says the one that is retarded and autistic. if something doesn't work, you still continue to bruteforce. apparently the concept of getting better cards via other means is beyond your learning ability

>le game is le bad le meme
fuck off

Art direction.

The music and the card game

>Was going to get the plat trophy playing it for the first time in about 8 years
>Forget about disc 4 locking everything off
>mfw

Attached: 1468925532948.gif (500x375, 1.86M)

I'm on the edge to buy the remaster but I'm being autist about one thing : analog control and rumble missing. Mods won't be able to correct it, right ?

Level up MAG you brainlet, drawing is tied directly to your MAG stat, early game optimisation can see you drawing the maximum 9 of every spell every time.

because exploring the overworld and pretty fantasy locales is FUN
also I want to have anal sex with quistis

please do I love weird stuff

I wish he didn't fall for Rinoa and change so rapidly. It didn't feel realistic.

why did old jRPGs do this in the first place, seems pointless.

Disc space I would presume, ff8 ends with like a 7 minute fmv

Does it make more sense if you don't pick all the brooding edgy dialogue choices?

Wymyn have special power from Hyne.

>he doesn't know you can check Squall's desk for 2 GFs right at the fucking start of the game

Only sorceresses, and Ellone is explicitly NOT a sorceress.

ALl wymyns are special in FF8. They can all be granted sorceress powers by another, so she was probably born with another super special wymyn only power from that god.

Possibly the best OST in the series. And your opinions are bad.

>>Bad plot twist

What's the twist?

It's not FF7, do you need another reason?

>inb4 brainlet says orphanage and makes himself look like an idiot

the music and the monster designs, that's literally it.

Triple triad is the only thing that keeps me from playing 8. I truly don't care enough to learn a card game, let alone a fictional one that changes rules based on where you are fuck that noise

I gotta say, after giving FFVIII a go, I'm thoroughly baffled as to how they thought it was a good followup to one of the most successful games ever made. There's just so many confusing design and story decisions. This must be what Chrono Trigger fans feel like when trying out Chrono Cross

Every FF is different than the rest, that's the appeal to many, including myself. I didn't want another FF7.

There is no twist, just retards who keep pointing at "memory loss same orphanage" as if the GFs causing memory loss wasn't explicitly mentioned several times since the beginning of the game, and as if the point mattered at all. It didn't matter one bit that all of the main cast happened to live under the same foster home for a couple years.

The closest thing to a "twist" in FF8 was the realization that the story takes place in a causal loop. Ultimecia and Future Squall going into the past kicks everything off, creates the "prophecy" that vilifies Ultimecia before she is even born, so she fights back out of self-defense. She tries to use Time Kompression simply to escape her would-be killer, Squall, but ends up in the past, starting the loop again. Her spirit possessing Edea tries to get rid of Squall earlier, but that too is in vain as fate condemns her to the loop while everyone else gets out of the loop at the end to live happily ever after.

It took a lot of swings at new things, and some of them failed. But fuck me it's still leagues better than what modern mainline FFs have become.
I'd sooner play 8 again than spend 5 minutes with FF13.

I felt VII was a pretty natural extension of VI, it took many of the same concepts and made a bigger and better game. VIII just feels different for the sake of being different, where everything it does is that one cool idea some guy thought of and they put in without considering how it works with everything else. I just want to know the thought process behind it, what is it that compels Square to not play it safe and to continually alienate fans of past titles with every single new thing that they do?

>I can't understand basic human feelings
>I can't comprehend what I read
>hurr game is bad

every FF8 thread

I don't agree with what you said. 6 and 7 are very different. Fans of the series like that they're different. You were a fan of a game or two.

FF games is what triggered my missed items paranoia.

>Oh. You've spent 100 hours on your FFX save grinding up the sphere grid, items and had just one summon left to get. Oh, whats that? You wanted Anima? Your only chance on getting him was earlier in the game lol sorry bro. Have fun with that 99.9% save.

Anima isn't missable iirc. Zodiac spear was though.

isn't anima just cock blocked by the dark aeons if you missed the destruction spheres items

Best world, best music.

Literally thinks its cool to talk in one word sentences and try to be a badass.

She is completely normal though - at the end of Disc 3, she talks normally for a few sentences to try and convince Seifer to stop what he is doing, then leaves it to Squall (one of the best lines in the game: "Its sad...sad that we have to leave things to Squall.").

Fujin and Raijin would probably be Balamb's most powerful combatants if they wen't completely stupid.

According to the Ultimania guide, there is a shitload of cut content. All FF games end up with a lot cut, but after the success of VII they initially over-designed VIII by miles.

Attached: renzokuken_bosses.webm (208x158, 2.48M)

It has tons more content than any of the other games

I'm still awed by how they bothered to animate all those special versions for the bosses

How did she know about the future SeeDs anyways. I forgot.

>FFVIII was made in a year and a half

How

No. It's really bad even by FF standards,even worse than shit like 13.

No way is it worse than XIII.

in this ps4 remaster, anyone else have the wrong song play during the "time compression" sorceress boss sequence?
The track from edeas boss fight was playing instead of compression of time.
Sure compression of time played during this whole sequence when I had the ps1 version.

Really pulled me out of the moment, Sounded more serene, melancholy when latter played over edeas boss theme.

this track should have played.
youtube.com/watch?v=l75zjpDpAWs

>Does it make more sense if you don't pick all the brooding edgy dialogue choices?

it apparently makes more sense if you drag Rinoa with you everywhere and don't fuck up the musical at Fisherman's Horizon

If anything, FF8 is a good insight into the mind of egoistic, manipulative roasties.

Attached: 1542577357917.jpg (640x368, 57K)

No. He is still visibly annoyed with her on multiple opportunities.

because she's Rinoa.

9 has the best overall characters. Not a single character in 9 is really unlikeable

>What's the twist?

the Ultimecia asspull reveal and the "We all grew up in the same Orphanage" bullshit

>Not a single character in 9 is really unlikeable
Garnet
Eiko
Beatrix
It had a solid male cast with the exception of maybe Amarant but it utterly shat the bed with Garnet being a piece of retarded shit who singlehandedly allows Brahne to genocide a few nations after the huge sacrifices that were made to get her ass to Lindblum.

Those are all perfectly good characters

No, unless you have shit taste enough to like obnoxious clingy little girls or a literal mary sue protected by writer.

>wrong
>wrong
>wrong

We found the faggot, bros

time kompression

Since they didn't bother with anything else in the game they might as well make it look good.

BASED

Why isn't she more popular?

I want to marry Quistis.

What was her thing in Japanese?

I fapped enough to garnet, she fulfilled her role as female character
Eiko i totaly forgot about meaning she did nothing to burn her into my mind as terrible, and thus is a fine and acceptable filler character
Beatrix is cool and would have been best FF warrior female of the time if not for the existence of celes

There is no 9 character i view as the best character of the franchise, or even one of the best, but they are all acceptable, none of them upset me by existing.

Got any more remastered memes?

Attached: qUEaDO2Z_o.jpg (960x960, 76K)

What the fuck is going on here?

A corpse of an unknown SEED soldier lying on bed, with upper torso brutally destroyed in combat.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY.

It gave us squall for KH which was a better version of him

Attached: 1540478619041.jpg (512x512, 106K)

>and don't fuck up the musical at Fisherman's Horizon
There was supposed to be a "correct" way to do that? I thought it was just picking what instruments you wanted to hear

Zell on bass, Selphie on guitar, Irvine busting out the sax and Quistis on piano, name a more based setup

Great story, really boring to play though.

He's not SEED. He's a Galbadian recruit.

apparently its Sax, Piano, Electric Guitar and Bass Guitar

One off, eh? What does it change?

it gives a romantic development scene between Squall and Rinoa

I'm nearing the final boss (Ultimecia's castle) and I can't really get the appeal of the story. There's a lot that's left unexplained so far and the twists are so wacky that I'm left pretty bewildered. You don't even meet Ultimecia until the very end and it feels kinda tacked on with the whole time compression stuff. It's like there's a very impersonal villain that's doing bad stuff just because.
I guess I'll have some answers when I get to the end. Also I stopped playing yesterday once I got to Ultimecia's Castle because you're stripped of almost all your shit and it kinda killed my motivation for the day. Can you get your abilities back before the final boss?

You need to fight bosses to restore your abilities etc. in the castle. After every boss you can choose what you want to regain.

I can fix the story and twist completely, in one sentence.
You ready?
Swap Rinoa and Seifer.
Just take a second and really think about how plot points would line up, and the relationship between Squall and him would be altered if the story remained mostly intact.

Attached: 457910-ccwp14_800_.gif (800x600, 307K)

The music's pretty good, and Squall has his moments here and there. It was nice of the game to try something new with the gameplay, but I feel like the execution could have been better. I wouldn't call it one of the best entries in the series, but acting like it's an unplayable mess is a bit much. It's alright.

>I can fix the story and twist completely, in one sentence.
>You ready?
>Swap Rinoa and Seifer.

can we also drop the shitty romance?

In my opinion, the system could be improved by having enemies drop spell charges on death. Not too many at once but a handful would do. The drawing mechanic could stay in case you needed to gather as much of a spell as possible, but perhaps with this change the game's pacing would be improved.

>In my opinion, the system could be improved by having enemies drop spell charges on death

but then you would have to worry about level scaling and also who would get the spell charge

Oh, okay. I just got lazy and disabled the encounters and got to Ultimecia by chance without really bothering exploring the castle before shutting the game off.
I also didn't really bother exploring and doing side-quests before entering the Lunatic Pandora. Can I still explore the world normally through thoses three gates? Did I miss GFs? I know there's at least Odin that I thought I'd do once I get to the end-game.

You can get all GFs you missed in the castle as well.
And no, you can't really explore towns and stuff.

The level scaling doesn't matter
Spell charges received after a drop could work in the exact same way refining them does

Really? I can't go back to Balamb garden and stuff? That's a bummer since I lost some cards I'd like to get back and I didn't check the latest Timber Maniac entries I got.

Assigning the band to play the irish jig extends the dialogue between Squall and Rinoa.

Yeah, exploration/backtracking is pretty limited once you get to the last disc.

You can find Ragnarok on the world map but Balamb Garden and most towns are inaccessible. You can only acquire missed rare cards if you completed the card group sidequest before disc 4.

I think I still have a save from just before the last Seifer bossfight so I should be able to backtrack to the ragnarok right?

Yep, I think so. The castle is the point of no return.

IIRC she spoke exclusively in kanji.

Okay, thanks. Also did I miss it completely or does the game not have chocobos?

It's not shitty with the switch. They already have a rivalry. Just have him be progressively more tsundere until the ship and then overprotective past that.

Attached: DPTDC_SCREENSHOT_9.1359430832.jpg (1280x720, 146K)

I think there is a Chocobo forest but most of the Chocobo stuff was tied in with the Pocket Station

There are 6 chocobo forests on the world map that have some items and you can get chocobo from there to ride on the worldmap
FF8 also supported the sony pocketstation with a game mode called chocobo world, which would get you items and stuff. I think there's a pedometer built in. But this has been largely stripped out in the ports iirc.

forgot pic

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 12K)

the large amount of soul negates all negative factors. locations, atmosphere, music are among the best in the series. even story is open to interpretations and some fan theories made it god tier.

youtube.com/watch?v=SKI8RFr0Ec8

you're just a pleb user.

>argue endlessly about how story doesn't matter in video games and read a book if you want a good plot
>rage about bad stories in video games

This is my first time playing the game with the remaster and honestly...

I like the overall story but EVERY FUCKING CHARACTER except Squall/Seifer/Laguna is utterly terrible. This easily has the worst cast in any modern Final Fantasy. Even 15 and 13 are better.

Zell is a little snot but otherwise everyone else was okay.

Quistis is subdued and intelligent and Irvine is a suave cowboy.

>the sony pocketstation
2003 ... I am forgotten.

streamable.com/ej028

best Uematsu soundtrack