Good or bad?

Good or bad?

Attached: sonic_adventure_2__battle___wallpaper_by_dashyster-d5n38v2.png (1280x755, 1.02M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o1A8hO7Uqn0
youtu.be/JgG--74XExY
youtu.be/6BrN4ABIJKQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I personally found the "bad" story to be much more engaging than the "good" story but the hero story was definitely more memorable.

When will they return to interconnected stories like the Adventure days? I miss them.

Great.

If as in the game itself, good.

If as in "Hero or Dark story?" Dark. You got to play as Eggman as well as two completely new characters and it was interesting to learn about them rather than the well known group of the hero side.

mediocre

Adventure-era Sonic was kino.

Attached: 1567911082084.png (600x1112, 85K)

God tier

Bad, but I still like it.

SA1 will always be better

You could call it the perfect Sonic game, there's bad Sonic games that are fun to laugh at and there's good Sonic games that are fun to play, this game is like the best of both worlds

>Generations
>a game literally built on nostalgia pandering
>zero soul
I know this chart is bait but cmon

I think op was asking about the game, that's the "DARK" story you're talking about

>It's another "I enjoy thing I like so there is no way in hell it can be bad" thread.
The amount of SOUL in it is justification enough why people enjoy it, including me, but there is no denying it's just a bad game.

Yea Forums has shat on more functional games then this, the only reason it's a sacred cow is because it has a level of genuine charm to it back when not everything had to be hidden with 5 layers of irony.

>but there is no denying it's just a bad game.

Besides the poor lipsyncing, whats bad about it?

good. the speed stages are all good. i actually like the shooting and treasure hunting stages. the only problems i have with the game are the bugs and sega's refusal to use more than 2 buttons on the controller. literally everything that isnt jump is mapped to B

The amount of people who go "haha the adventure games are bad but I love them anyways haha" fucking astounds me/ Maybe they aren't actually fucking bad then and you retards just don't wanna admit a 3d sonic game/a game with jank can be good in spite of that?

The Adventure games are unpolished and have a load of flaws, there's no denying that, but they are good games in SPITE of those flaws. says there's games thata re more functional that get shit on, but it's also true there are LESS functional games that get their dick sucked: SM64 has just as bad, arguably worse camera, glitchyness. and movement issueds whtn SA2 and it's considered one of the best games of all time.

>Besides the poor lipsyncing, whats bad about it?
You mean besides 2/3 of the gamemodes being boring, some awful map and level layouts for said 2/3 modes with the "Dark" side especially having some absolutely heinous levels and the one good gamemode being a generally buggy mess where accidental suicide not in part of you not paying attention but the game itself having a hissyfit is very common?

Not much I suppose.

I missed it when it came out and I had not played a 3D sonic game until Unleashed came out or any sonic game after 90's when I was in 3rd grade.

I thought Unleashed was very fun and I was surprised so many people hated it and recommend me this instead.

Whoever thinks those robot stages with eggman or tails are any better than the werehog levels must be high. Not to mention you go FAST for 1/3 of the game.

At the very least is an overrated game but I do sure enjoy the memes. I finished it about a few years ago so it is very fresh in my mind.

The music is dope though.
youtube.com/watch?v=o1A8hO7Uqn0

SM64 didn't waste peoples time with two extra game play styles that actively hinder itself.

>This is what furries genuinely believe

chaos garden alone makes this worth your time

Attached: jeyST.jpg (600x286, 49K)

That game came at the peak of the tamagochi craze, right?
I grew up during that time, revisiting SA2 made me realize how not fun raising tamagochis were.

There was a period between 1998 and 2003 were life simulators were incredibly popular, hell I was a sucker for the sims.

>2/3 of the gamemodes being boring
Disagree
>"Dark" side especially having some absolutely heinous levels
So just Rouge's levels?
>the one good gamemode being a generally buggy mess where accidental suicide not in part of you not paying attention but the game itself having a hissyfit is very common?
Are you talking about locking onto rails with a homing attack?

>Unleashed, Colors, and Generations' scores

user...

>Heroes
>more soul than 06, Unleashed, Colors, Generations
>literally just replaying the same levels four times with only the Chaotix offering much real change

I know but I was hoping to take this old question in a different direction

I never understood anyones complaints with the Knuckles/Rouge levels. How can you not like flying around doing a treasure hunt?

I really like this game myself and all three gameplays and kart missions, but I can see why somebody won't. In terms of the hype factor though, it's unrivaled.

Attached: 1567726604978.jpg (1280x720, 83K)

Alright, a very bumpy ride with a lot of ups and downs

Attached: Untitled.png (476x542, 29K)

Attached: SA2.jpg (750x750, 67K)

Perfect

I unironically have more fun navigating around treasaure stages in SA2 then I do with mario in SM64 since at least knuckles and rouge actually control tightly/are responsive.

same user, I don't get it.

Some of the smaller treasure stages are a bit cramped I admit and rouge in partiuclar is probably the only character whose stages are more flawed then they are good, but aside from mad space they are far froim outright bad.

It’s my favorite sonic game. I like the over the top story and the game has a lot of replay value for me personally. It has such a good soundtrack I listen to it outside of the game and JSRF too.

Based. I honestly fucking hate all sonic games that arent adventure 1 and 2, heroes and Battle

Still my favorite 3D Sonic game to this day.

youtu.be/JgG--74XExY

Attached: 9F686366-3BC1-4F9B-B0FF-1978A5BAFCD3.jpg (480x360, 39K)

Based ProNetori

It was so funny seeing /sthg/ gloating when he got metoo'd just because of this video

BIG

Attached: 1557293061223.png (1280x720, 1.21M)

The major issue is gimping the radar to only detect one emerald shard at a time makes those levels a lot more tedious than they were in SA1

What if they did a remake that combined the best parts of SA1 and SA2 (maybe Heroes) into one games, using the SA2 engine?

Attached: 1540249936738.jpg (1005x501, 186K)

I preferred Adventure 1 over 2. I liked that SA1 told the story through multiple perspectives and gave each individual character their own personal story more than SA2's you get the hero perspective and the dark perspective and thats it.
Also Shadow is a terrible rival character and Metal Sonic is superior to him in every regard.

for me as a kid, it was just a good excuse to play through the levels over and over

Why have them use an ancient buggy engine that nobody left at Sonic Team knows how to use?

MEATY

It's smoother and better than most of their other 3d engines

Out of an archaic sense of honor and stubbornness, there's no way Sonic Team would ever use another engine other than the new Hedgehog Engine they wasted 2/3rds of Sonic Forces' dev cycle developing.

Shadow is fine in SA2 itself, he's only awful after that when they had to come up with contrived reasons to justify him still being around and made him straight up just edgy-cool-guy-man instead of how he was in SA2 where he was a bit more nuanced.

Shit taste.

fuck egg quarters, fuck death chamber, fuck mission street, fuck sand ocean, fuck crazy gadget, fuck mad space, fuck hidden base, fuck lost colony, fuck eternal engine, and fuck cannon's core. All of these were terrible fucking loves. That being said though I still like playing the other levels and the chao garden is great.

What do you dislike about Mission Street, Sand Ocean, Hidden Base and Lost colony?

You gotta at least give credit to Egg Quarters, Death Chamber, Mission Street, and Mad Space for having good music. But yeah, the Tails/Eggman levels were utter shit. Also, anyone else get stuck on Crazy Gadget for the longest time due to the end part?

>But yeah, the Tails/Eggman levels were utter shit.

I don't think so.

Most are pretty meh, but only like Eternal Engine is actually bad and there's a few outright great ones like Weapon's Bed and Cosmic Wall

>this artist only draws futa on male and scat

Attached: file.png (640x754, 741K)

why the fuck doesn't sonic have a neck

link?

>Anyone else get stuck on Crazy Gadget for the longest time due to the end part?

Yes, I was stuck on that level for years.

>high skill based speed levels
>decent treasure hunting levels
>shitty mech levels
>good story/characters
>great OST
>chao garden which I personally didn't care for
Good overall

It's great.

Attached: ohno.jpg (637x358, 41K)

I played it for the first time a few months ago. Gameplay-wise it doesn't hold up well in my opinion. I still appreciate it for what it was at the time of its release, though.

Attached: Eh.webm (325x297, 329K)

it's better than Mania

Seeing as ProJared fanboys don't mind 40 minute videos, here's one destroying all his arguments. youtu.be/6BrN4ABIJKQ

the game falls off a massive cliff after the island escape and never recovers

whoever honestly sat down and developed, playtested, and greenlit tails sections taking up like 1/3rd to a/2 the game(as eggman) should actually be put in front of a firing squad and shot. Whoever decided to gimp the treasure hunting radar and make aquatic mine as claustrophobic as possible while managing to have possibly the worst camera in video game history should also be put to death, only this time by being thrown into an active volcano

generations had soul in its level design. Even its green hill zone had soul. It was the first of its nostalgia pandering besides sonic4. I'd give it atleast a 4

thats the sucky part. there is some good side levels. the shooters have weapons bed, cosmic engine, mission street. these levels are all about blowing shit up in big numbers and its decent enough. the emerald levels same thing. knuckles and rouge get a good first level and pumpkin hill is amazing because of all the open spaces and free movement you can do. the rest of them are about limiting where you can go while locking you in tight cramped spaces. it just totally goes against the freedom they have.

not even the speed levels are perfect, some like crazy gadget, pyramid cove, and final chase fucking suck. if the levels were better on average, the game would seriously be one of the best. its the inverse of sonic 06, which has great levels but crappy controls. sa2 has good controls but crappy levels.

Ok, you have a right to your opinion

Mediocre. Better gameplay, but level designs for all 3 types are garbage. Also, it should have a better stage selection than "generic" locations.

If SA1 was remastered in the SA2 engine, you'll see it's the better game that pays homage to the Classics.

Attached: 1375176472180.jpg (1500x2270, 628K)

Keep it 60fps.
SA1 spindash and run animation
SA2 grinding with Heroes' rail design.
Shadow keeps his '06 moveset.
Knuckles isn't slow anymore. SA1 radar
Rouge can fly upwards before gliding.
Extend the homing attack range to Colors
Rolling and momentum physics
Amy has Advance 2 moveset.
Big replaced by Advance 2 Cream

Perfect.

>Whoever decided to gimp the treasure hunting radar

this is a meme complaint, it taking slightly longer then it otherwise would to beat them isn't a problem. The whole point is for them to be a slower paced, more relaxed expierence anyways, hence the chill music

>while managing to have possibly the worst camera in video game history

SM64's is worse

SA1 having better level design is also a meme. It's not any less linear then SA2, it just has a item box or two hidden away in a short side path here or there. It's actually MORE explictly linear for a lot of stages that aside: Emerald Coast is more railroaded then City Escape is for example.

And SA2 has levels actually designed around mech and treasure gameplay.

>SA1 spindash

this broke the game, I don't know why people suck it off. Even in the classics you can't spam it.

>Shadow keeps his '06 moveset.
Please no, don't make him slower for no fucking reason

>Extend the homing attack range to Colors
This would casualize it too much

>Rolling and momentum physics
Stopped reading right here, this would totally butcher the games and would cease to make them actually play like the adventure titles at all. The fact that they are instantly responsive and have fixed tight physics is half of what defines ythe formula.

If you just want to tweak it so that you CAN roll into a ball and moving downhill causes you to pick up speed and that's it, then sure, but it still needs to control and feel like the adventure titles and not the classics.

>The whole point is for them to be a slower paced
So you give me something great in the first game. Then you nerf it so it can be "slower paced"? Not that guy but that's how anyone would feel if they liked the previous method better.
The option of looking for any emerald and still scoring high for a rank is a good challenge, requiring you to be faster. Also opens up the "linear" complaint.

>SA1 having better level design is also a meme
Being a meme doesn't make it a lie. The Adventure series is as linear as it gets. Each stage only has ONE goal ring. It isn't Sonic CD.
The better level design comes from the use of Classic gimmicks, no GUN robots dropping on you, and fantasy world stuff like a tornado bringing you to another part of a level. SA2 had less flashy stuff except the GUN truck.

Also, SA1 had it right by making each stage into different portions so the music could change. A reference to Act 1/2 of the originals and keeping things interesting.

>SA1 spindash
>this broke the game
Wrong. SA2's spindash can be done just the same. Look at Final Rush speedruns. SA1 spindash feels better than spazzing out into a somersault. It was a worthless move that was replaced by the superior "stomp" to break boxes. Even Advance 1/2's somersault was useless.

>don't make him slower
Moveset not physics. I never liked "clone" Sonic in SA2. Shadow using 06' Chaos Boost is a good feature.

>This would casualize it too much
Then fix the janky homing detection without using target markers. Or make the enemies further apart instead of spamming an obvious line of them.

>The fact that they are instantly responsive and have fixed tight physics is half of what defines ythe formula.
Tight physics is bullshit. This is the series that brought in automated loops and speed panels everywhere. It's an insult to the classic series and why it's flawed in the first place. Both series could use better larger stage designs to use this. Super Monkey Ball did it anyway.

Attached: trapcard.png (636x701, 477K)

If your issue is the somersault, then just have a light tap of the b button make you curl up, with the spindash still being you needing to hold down. Combine that with SLIGHT momemtum system.

>Then fix the janky homing detection
Litterally git gud, I've never had an issue with my homing attack going where I want it to past my first few hours playing.

>Tight physics is bullshit.
Then fuck off, you aren't a fan of the adventure games. They aren't the classics and they don't need to play like the classics.

>Then fuck off, you aren't a fan of the adventure games.
LMAO. I was never a fan for mediocrity. I got Mania and the superior classic trilogy. And just because you're a "fan" of something, doesn't mean it's an excuse to eat shit.
Great thing Mania 2 and more fangames are still being made. Yet no one can replicate the garbage that's Adventure.

Hey, Nothing called for a fight to get this heated between you two.

If you don't even like it, then, again, fuck off. Let us fans of the formula actually enjoy it.

Attached: 1547167376448.png (637x643, 657K)

Not him, but out of curiosity... what's wrong with adding a little more weight to the 3D games? I never thought the 2D games controlled bad so what's the issue? Building up speed is pretty satisfying, is it not?
I mean, i guess it could be a little lighter if you really want to, but I never saw much of a problem with it.

Attached: tumblr_ow1khdFZYo1w1kerio1_500.gif (500x356, 3.35M)

Is okay.

What's good is really good, enough to counteract the absolute bland of the rest.

I wouldn't mind a "little" more weight, but I absolutely don't want it like the classics in terms of weight, which I think feel awful.

If they want to add a TINY bit of less acceleration and weight to his movement, alongside just making it so there's not as low a speedcap and going downhill raises your speed and uphill lowers it, then I wouldn't mind that, but I don't want the basehighly high responsiveness, high acceleration altered signficantly.

Even something like SM64 pisses me off with how weighty mario is and how bad his acceleration is. Even Oddsessy annoys me to a lesser degree with it.