Touhou is more popular then it

>Touhou is more popular then it
>Cave Story is more inspirational then it
>Celeste is higher reviewed and talked about then it
>Undertale is even more popular and said to be a 10/10 game, also popular in japan unlike it
>”But it’s the king of indies!!!!”
I get it having been the first (and some may argue only) major successful Kickstarters but like that’s really nothing when you consider that Undertale was also a Kickstarter game and shit like Hollow Knight arguably handled its Kickstarter 100x better then SK ever did, I’m not saying the games bad, hell I thought it was fine but why is he labeled Mr. Indie over someone like Quote, Sans, or fuck even Reimu (I know she’s a girl fuck like fuck man)

Attached: 2DC22027-988F-4609-87CF-A02F7EE1BEB5.png (1987x1600, 454K)

I don't like it

Crossover whore

People only liked this game because the year this came out the industry was fucked. Now things are better and this character is irrelevant

>game is suddenly shit because it offers a third pronoun
Get the fuck out of my board, /pol/

Attached: 1566841016112.png (602x636, 448K)

> It's less popular than Touhou but the only western indie to achieve a tenth of its popularity otherwise.
> Cave Story did the successful indie thing earlier, yes, but that can be said to be a downside- rather than a trendsetter, Cave Story has become known as an anomaly
> Celeste relies much more heavily on your willingness to play the shit out of it to get maximum enjoyment, cultivating a surprisingly respectable, skilled playerbase, but not as broad of one
> Undertale eclipses it in popularity but is very, VERY hit-or-miss; if you don't like it the odds are you'll hate it

Shovel Knight is not the king because it's better than everyone at everything. Shovel Knight is the king because it beats most comers in virtually every category, and its characters have supreme crossover viability.

Attached: sknight.png (1920x1080, 1.75M)

dilate

Attached: 1565673771763.jpg (883x1765, 433K)

>never even mentioned the new pro noun
Buddy I don’t give a fuck what Gender Shovel Knight is, I only care about gameplay.
>> It's less popular than Touhou but the only western indie to achieve a tenth of its popularity otherwise.
Toby Fox wants a word with you
>> Cave Story did the successful indie thing earlier, yes, but that can be said to be a downside- rather than a trendsetter, Cave Story has become known as an anomaly
Not really, people still talk about and love CS and if anything it aged perfectly
> >Celeste relies much more heavily on your willingness to play the shit out of it to get maximum enjoyment, cultivating a surprisingly respectable, skilled playerbase, but not as broad of one
That’s.... actually a fair point, I’ll take an L on that one user!
> Undertale eclipses it in popularity but is very, VERY hit-or-miss; if you don't like it the odds are you'll hate it
Same with Zelda BotW and OoT, yet those games are still more iconic then let’s say Horizon Zero Dawn or some shit,
also Sonic has been in more Crossovers then Mario yet Sonic isn’t considered the king of mascots, I appreciate the cameos we have but if we get one for every indie game it kinda hurts more then helps, like sure he’s know as the guy in the assist trophy in smash to some in a positive light but also that one guy in the Banjo Kazooie rip off Kickstarter in another.

dilate

>It's less popular than Touhou but the only western indie to achieve a tenth of its popularity otherwise
Undertale.

I dont consider it that good but its a much better posterboy than Fez at least

He's pixelshit, and got forced to appear in a bunch of other kickstarter projects through backing so people who barely play indie games somehow were made to believe he's bigger than he actually is.
Pretty much only posers believe SK is anything beyond a decent platformer.

Than*

Attached: 1549845292768.jpg (1080x1080, 95K)

>why is he labeled Mr. Indie
Because he was the first majorly successful game Kickstarter, as you already said
The fact that his game is on every console and him showing up in any other indie game for no reason also helps
That being said he's not doing a very good job beyond that - between no news of a sequel, tranny shit being implemented and those amiibos being indefinitely delayed I can't say I'm very interested in this franchise anymore
If Shovel Knight doesn't do something interesting soon I think Shantae is going to overtake his status as "Mr. Indie" but god I hope Hollow Knight does it instead

I explained the issue with Undertale. For everyone who loves it there's someone else who despises it just as much. Undertale is really, really up there as far as indies go, but it's not THE indie, too many people despise it.
I know, that's backwards, broken reasoning, but it's how popularity works, user. Having intense fans does not balance out against an equal number of equally intense detractors.
Yes, Cave Story aged perfectly, but it didn't exactly spearhead an entire generation of indies like Shovel Knight did.
I love that Cave Story still has some relevance. Fuck man, it was one of the first games I sought out and played entirely on my own. It's had a full life... but Nicalis owns it, and I have the sinking feeling that its future is anything but guaranteed.

Anyway, I guess my main point is that Shovel Knight has a lot of what all your other listed contenders do. It has popularity (not as much as Undertale or Touhou, but less specific popularity for certain), it's a hip, young, and relevant property (as opposed to a single game that can never live forever), and its gameplay, setting, and characters have versatility (if not for crossovers, it's good for your mascot to be a good everyman, something, say, Celeste couldn't achieve).

I wouldn't say it's the king of indies, but it's definitely one of the ones closest to Nintendo
>one of only 2 indie characters represented in smash bros ultimate outside of spirits (got an assist trophy, sans as a costume is the other - neither proper fighters)
>only indie character to get an amiibo

>no news of a sequel
Oh yes since it's called Shovel Knight Dig and not Shovel Knight 2: Dig it's in no way a sequel. Got it.

Do any of those other games have REIZE SEATLAN? Hmm, no? I think Shovel Knight wins.

Shovel Knight is cool but I can't see him bringing anything new to Smash since his whole deal was using moves from other NES games.

King of Cards looks pretty good and the optional tranny shit I never even have to look at doesn’t bother me one bit.

I really dislike it when people is biased enough to think UT is *the* indie game. Only thing it gor for it is it popularity that overrates the game. I have seen more games directly inspired by OFF, LISA and fucking yume nikki than UT.

They legit said it’s a spin off and not a sequel user, by you’re logic Sonic fans don’t need a new mainline game, Team Sonic Racing is here to save the day!

Because it kickstarted a wave of indie development via crowdfunding, it was the first major title to prove it was a viable model

the town bicycle of crossovers

rent free

Only newfags and under-20 think SK is THE indie game, Cave Story is. It was just less fortunate because of its time period. Hell there's a fucking PSP port of it.

Also Cave Story is really indie, Yacht Club studios is a publisher at this point.

That's because all those other titles (except Cave Story) are massively overrated:

- 99% of Touhou's fanbase hasn't completed a single game, popularity overwhelmingly inflated by fan art / music / figures / circlejerking
- Cave Story has built its reputation for almost two decades
- Celete was mediocre and was only popularized by the current feminism movement
- Undertale is a decent game with good music that gets inflated similarly to Touhou but deserve some of the credit

Meanwhile Hollow Kuck is actually a game that feels like anything but an indie. If the game had been released 20 years ago it would still have been a hit. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't actually pay for it, but it plays great on a 3DS and it's overall a game that fully deserves its praise, with very little of it due to marketing (or even community) pushing.