What kind of protagonist do you find more compelling to control...

What kind of protagonist do you find more compelling to control? The underdog who fights and triumphs against insurmountable odds? Or the powerful warrior even monsters fear?

Attached: DxCPDhhX4AAveUJ.jpg (685x1200, 280K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/s9qmWnyDzLE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A cute girl

I went out and filmed people without their permission again.

youtu.be/s9qmWnyDzLE

Attached: 1.jpg (1318x728, 268K)

A cute strong girl or a cute girl who tries her hardest to survive? I think the latter is better in the case of a girl.

The underdog that slowly transforms into a powerful warrior

The latter of course

The underdog who becomes a powerful warrior who monsters fear. Extra points if the game mentions how terrifying you’ve gotten.

this

fpbp

Powerful warrior who gets humbled by the antagonist and then needs to build himself back up

Mrs Brisby comes to mind.

Attached: Brisby9a.jpg (776x795, 41K)

I can only think of Altaïr and Kratos. Could you name a better version of the archetype you're describing?

>The underdog who fights and triumphs against insurmountable odds?
what game let me play as that?

Attached: 1453051172574.png (372x515, 295K)

This one is specially satisfying. Who's the first character that comes to mind?

Thats pretty gay

whats gay about it?

Dark Souls seems like a decent example, but I'm sure there are many more.

Mobius 1

Mount and blade’s protag comes to mind. Cant think of any other RPG examples though.

>the powerful warrior even monsters fear
I love this

Attached: 278278.jpg (1280x720, 89K)

The underdog for sure.

Attached: 1420392922422.gif (295x210, 170K)

?

Ah here’s another - EDF5 - start out as a loading dock civilian and slowly get more experience and weapons. Game mentions how badass you’ve gotten, taking down entire armies of aliens solo. Going from slow walking to figuring out how to dash jump all over the place feels like leveling up from mech warrior to armored core.

Most RPGs tend to follow that structure, don't they? Nothing wrong with it, it just shows up so often that it's not as satisfying once you've experienced it many times. I'm wrong; what I mean to say is that the more you follow it the easier it becomes to tell whether it's been done poorly or properly, and thus your taste becomes more demanding.

it literally doesn't matter because people project their expectations and how they're feeling on the character they're controlling

Storm 1

I disagree. The game's presentation is key to imbuing the player with the kind of expectations they have for their character.

You’re right in that most RPG do the zero to hero trope. Not really ones where the game or the enemies recognize you’ve gotten stronger. Most games the enemies will attack you as if you were a nobody they could fuck up.

The one where you start out as nobodies and halfway through the campaign become a force of nature and myth that the enemies tremble before.

Attached: acerazgriz.jpg (1023x887, 102K)

Yes, that's an example of the game treating the power scaling poorly. I like it when your enemies are a bit smarter in picking their battles. You could make the argument that it doesn't matter that much, since you can just kill them in one blow either way, but their reaction towards the player is fundamental to convincing the player that they are indeed powerful. It breaks the illusion if they never react in fear.

It actually frustrates me how weird and out of touch this guys fans are. Mental illness sure is spooky.

The underdog who fights and triumphs against insurmountable odds who eventually becomes the powerful warrior even monsters fear

Attached: 1567832651770.jpg (920x343, 45K)

Raiden gets fucked in MGR

What was it?

Attached: 1490142759565.png (610x699, 381K)

I like it more if the character doesn't necessarily become aware of his power until he realizes how others perceive him.
>"Oh shit, isn't that the kid who slayed, the dragon Ryvenich, the so called 'Mouth of Satan?'"
>"Yeah, I got trapped in a dungeon and he was on the way out. I almost soiled myself when I saw him".

Gothic 1 and Gothic 2

Nerevarine

The protagonist of a good game.

DaS3 felt so generic and uninspired after Bloodborne.

The evil overlord that wants power, riches and bitches.

i must say i i kinda like dark souls protagonist more because he starts as a corpse nobody that becames god, hunters are feral killingmachines from the starts who ascend to godhood.

yeah ace combat is definitly one of the best examples. whats your favorite game in the series for me its zero

I still want to know why the sun fucking bled in early concepts

Attached: 8ac6772685b0df6809ebc831260787b3.jpg (1600x900, 570K)

That's bound to happen when you compare a sequel to a stand-alone story. Bloodborne had a lot more room to experiment, while DS3 was firmly stuck within boundaries.
Your sentiments are why I consider that it would be better to play the DS trilogy before Bloodborne.

This man of culture gets it.

this but also underage

The underdog idea has been most compelling since the start of written literature. The power fantasy will always be fun though.

Attached: gascoignopoly.png (800x600, 316K)

In Far Cry 2 enemy dialogue changes as you progress through the game. Early on they're mostly just annoyed or angry and insulting but by end game they're anxious as hell trying to psyche themselves up or downright terrified of you in the final mission.

The hero of oakvale

I dont see a difference.
In the end, it equates the same thing.

In a movie it would be different SOMETIMES, but in a game, the challenge presented would be the same, regardless of the context.

Any protagonist that emphasizes might makes right. There's no problem that enough violence can't solve. And if the problem isn't solved, you're just not hitting it hard enough.

Attached: Bully.jpg (500x333, 143K)

I'd play a video game with Mrs Brisby as the MC

Me too.

Storm 1 from EDF5 is basically this.

>pleb that gets twoshot by axe executioniers
>muh bloodvials, need to farm them
>uuuh
>*dies to 2 dogs*
How the fuck is Hunter supposedly a fearsome powerful warrior from the start?

congrats user, he's the other one !

>he needs to farm blood vials

No he isnt. Ashen one is an even bigger shitter in the beginning.

Underdog.
Playing as "guy who starts with nothing but the clothes on his back and a chip on his shoulder" is infinitely more compelling than "chosen one who gets given everything and is destined to win".

I can't even get invested when the latter shows up. If the premise is "Fate hits you with a strike of lightning/fate fucked your grandmom and your powers manifest, you are now magical and special and Chosen, how do you deal with it?" I'm probably not even going to bother picking it up. That includes capeshit, YA fiction, "prophecised one", it's all garbage.

Attached: blade-of-darkness_31.jpg (1680x1050, 166K)

ashen one beats a boss right away
the hunter needs to fucking run away until he finds a lamp

>"prophecised one"
Actually ignore this one, in retrospect 9/10s of the time the twist is "There was no prophecy/the prophecy was wrong/some other spin" and the remaining 1/10 is covered by YA fiction.

>he doesnt beat up the werewolf with his hands like a man

Do you have any feelings regarding tales of Greek mythology in which the hero is the son of a god?

I really liked AC3 as a kid, project NEMO made it even better

Kwakbrein.

Very dim ones. Not a fan of demigods. Or any sort of "your parents are amazing and you carry their legacy".
Now earning the boons and favours of the gods through feats of valour, heroism or skill? Go nuts. Fair game.

It's like the difference between a wizard and a sorcerer. One's mother fucked a dragon, the other read "cast fireball" 5000 times before he was able to do it from memory. Same destination, but one avenue is infinitely more appealing. For me at least.
Stories where man overcomes their base nature and battles overwhelming odds, up my alley. Stories where man is given power for the fuck of it and the whole premise is just dealing with it? Don't care.

Attached: silt striding.jpg (700x469, 81K)

Understandable. That's one of the reasons why I like Odysseus more than Achilles; in theory, no divine family ties are ever described to Odysseus, his wits have simply impressed Athena enough for her to give him a hand now and then.

I like feeling powerful and that my enemies know it.

>Underdog who becomes a powerful warrior
Or
>Powerful warrior from the start

Why not:
>Underdog who stays an underdog but gains a fuckton of allies, weapons and such. At the end of the adventure our character is still a weak shit, but backed by an army he created

Examples?

Suikoden
Fire emblem (In a sense)
ME3 (sort of)
Sadly those are the only ones I can think of

>heavily set in reality, low fantasy where even fighting one goblin is difficult
>protag goes through every fight almost dying
>protags party of friends and warriors (all stronger than him) are wiped out with ease in front of him
>protag becomes the protag after the first one dies
>group of warriors vastly overestimate the ease in killing something and get completely slaughtered
What are some games or media friends?

Attached: 833.jpg (830x496, 102K)

>>heavily set in reality, low fantasy where even fighting one goblin is difficult
>>group of warriors vastly overestimate the ease in killing something and get completely slaughtered
These two ideas clash with each other and risk making everyone but the protagonist look like idiots.

I wasn't referring to the same game. Just cool ideas I've hardly if ever seen