Controller buttons: Do we need more?

Do you think there should be more buttons? Personally, I think i'd like to see more face buttons, but right now, it seems like Back Paddles/Buttons might come to the next generation of consoles, just because of its rising popularity.

I'm curious to see anyones extra ideas, cause I think a controller layout revision has been needed for a while.

Attached: 13mhjGr.png (1436x1047, 1.15M)

There are 4 wasted fingers when you use a controller and idk if everyone finds it comfortable to claw so I think paddles would be nice to come standard with next gen controllers

We already know how to add more face buttons, but the world wasn't ready yet

Attached: file.png (465x318, 62K)

That's always bothered me too, every single shooter has you focus on the 4 shoulder buttons, and clickable analog buttons, and it's weird break of gameplay flow when you have to shove a finger down to press a face button to crouch or something else.

Too many buttons would be too much to proccess for the brain
I personally think the future lies in less buttons, or entirely button-less control systems

100% controllers need to come standard with 1-2 back paddles on each side. The biggest downside for controllers currently is the lack of available buttons while using the analog sticks (I’m ignoring the unergonomic claw grip). I’m surprised it hasn’t become standard yet

This. I'd like to see more paddle controllers. Right now most are very expensive. Mostly I'd like to see some switch paddles that are larger and have a more ergonomic grip for adult hands.

yes

Attached: file.png (800x299, 145K)

>buttonless control systems
Maybe if you only play mobile games. It will never become standard in traditional gaming

Attached: 33FFD709-08E9-4DCF-A78A-B559BD291579.gif (356x200, 1.4M)

I think we already have enough buttons, ps4's controller is already perfect and there's no need to fix what is not broken

Attached: e2c3a29e1d33e50e5a0df33e3d650792.png (361x514, 226K)

Yes. There's no good reason not to add as many buttons as comfortably possible other than "muh minimalism meme."
Places we could add some are:
> extra face buttons for a total of 6
> another pair of bumpers beside the first pair like the 3ds
> extra menu buttons- this is by far one of the most egregiously needed since games nowadays tend to have incredibly convoluted menus with tons of submenus that need to be switched between
> paddles/rear buttons- this would be useful for running since the usual setup is a face button for running, which makes it difficult to run and move the camera at the same time, which is part of what necessitates lock on when fighting enemies. If we could have rear paddles as standard we might see more games ditch lock on and embrace more free-form fighting.

I want clap grip to die. I don't know that I want more buttons so much as a face and trigger pair that count as the same button.

The fall was that it didn't also have bumpers, and the bigger tragedy is that 360 got rid of the BW buttons when adding bumpers. It should be 4 buttons instead of 6.

weaklings

See:

6 buttons instead of 4* I'm retarded

>not just growing more fingers

crabs not welcome

Attached: Crab-kill-with-knife.png (478x332, 317K)

The problem with the keyboard is that it’s entirely unintuitive design-wise for games, being a literal grid of buttons. There’s a few that work together, like the defaults WASD, space, tab, Q, E, and R, but outside of that it’s literally just a mess that is impossible for the brain to naturally map outside of muscle memory. And that’s usually a per-game basis as well.

You aren't wrong, but I have the grid of 1,2,3,q,w,e,r,a,s,d,f,z,x,c, in my muscle memory, and combined with the mouse buttons that's still significantly more than a controller has.

Add 2 paddles on the back (one on either side), add two more face buttons similar to the OG xbox and add a single button to the middle of A,B,X,Y etc.
You don't want to overdo it because you still need a few fingers free to actually get a good hold of the controller. That and having too many inputs will be confusing.

>center button
that's not a bad idea at all

> add a single button to the middle of A,B,X,Y etc.
Shit tier idea. The buttons need to be close enough together that you can hold down two diagonal buttons at once, especially for platforms, and putting a button in the middle would push them uncomfortably far apart for that.

We should just drop the shoulder buttons for some paddles
face buttons should be at 6
Triggers should actually be triggers
Drop the d-pad and second stick
add gyro

(you)

Attached: all_out_bait.jpg (625x626, 76K)

There is no need for more buttons. Controllers haven't changed in 25 years for a reason

Whats the one in the top left?

Yeah, I agree, either paddles or buttons on the back should be standard. Once you pass the learning curve and get used to never (or rarely) having to take your thumbs off the sticks it's hard to go back to regular controllers.

Yes, they should have at least 6 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons and 2 back paddles. There is no reason not to it wouldn't change the ergonomics and it would give more options to developers on consoles.

Yes, the reason is because we have a tri-opoly of 3 companies that control controller design. 2 of them aren't interested in innovating at all and the other one typically gets shat on and made fun of for every change it makes until they're forced to revert it.

I don't get why every 6 face button design has died off.
Also don't get why paddles aren't the norm yet

>unintuitive design-wise for games

have you never used a keyboard before?

>Controllers haven't changed in 25 years for a reason
Are you really stupid or are you joking?

I get what he's saying. Keyboard layouts for games are kind of abstract and have more of a learning curve.

There's no need for a lot of things but they are still good. 6 face buttons would be good for fighting games and back buttons are good for fps. it would be nice to have and there is pretty much zero downside to it. it's not like there is a law that every game needs to use every button.

Ahh I suppose. It would depend on the game you were playing though because having a centre button would be beneficial for a fighting game for example. Like have the centre button as block with the fight moves assigned to the buttons around it. I could see that working.

There's no reason to not have some more buttons. The games that don't need them wouldn't use them and those who do would benefit.

Just use a mouse and a keyboard you repugnant console niggers. You don't even play platformers or racing games anymore you're all wasting time on console turds third person shooter, battlefield and fortnite so stop acting stupid and trash the controller.

Console niggers everyone, can't even use a keyboard properly and call it "unintuitive".

Fuck yes, contextual controls must die.

Aso, gyroscope should become the norm.

Will this do?

Attached: 56CF6F4D-2A68-41D8-A764-8534CC545537.jpg (520x487, 41K)

Those pedals might be useful for misc things but I dunno if they are comfortable.
Anyone have a controller like those? Which one?

Attached: 1546732775967.jpg (512x512, 75K)

>The games that don't need them wouldn't use them
That is not true. Every developer would try to cram in unnecessary features for unnecessary buttons. Games are not limited by the amount of buttons and the current layout is perfection

Where's the Doug button?

How am I gonna doug faster without proper buttons?

They should be blank buttons that can be remapped face buttons.

if paddles aren't standard next gen I'll be upset.
Gyro too.

you should replace that blurry lemon party with a daily dose

There's an adjustment period but once you used to them and have them set up the way you like you will never go back.

Gyro is already on Switch and PS4. The bone is the only console that doesn't have it and there's a good chance they'll add it next gen.

DS4 might as well not have it. It needs to get embraced as an industry wide option.
Honestly don't force it, just provide the choice.

Yes. The paddles on a Steam controller are a godsend in some games, especially considering how you can bind them to whatever you like.

They're perfect for gear shifting in racing games. It's hard to go back to old controllers.

I'm torn between controllers having six face buttons again and grip buttons.
Literally every controller should have gyro at this point, and it's fucking dumb they don't.
Probably the absolute most god tier controller, if it hypothetically existed would be the Steam Controller, but with a Genesis dpad.

>I think we already have enough buttons, ps4's controller is already perfect and there's no need to fix what is not broken
Remove the useless touch pad and I agree.

Controllers are unironically the main cancer of the industry.

fuck you the touchpad stays

It literally adds nothing to 98% of games on the ps4. And even then it just used as a really big select screen button.

>entirely button-less control systems
*gasp* Captain Hook!

Thank you user. I play my fair share of PC games that require a keyboard, but as a designer I’m well aware that it relies purely on memorization for each game to remember which keys are used and for what. It’s usually arbitrary. If it’s not just using a cluster of keys on the left side of the board, it’s using related but distant letters for the action (I for inventory, R for reload, M for map). Controllers are much more intuitive, their downsides are just:
>lack of buttons available while using the analog sticks
>lack of precision of analog sticks for many uses

>Genesis D pad
The most supreme digital direction pad is the Neo Geo stick.

Absolutely worthless addition that gets used as select most of the time because the share button exists.

Personally, I think the Genesis has better ergonomics, especially considering the Steam controller's shape, but hey, you do you.

>2 of them aren't interested in innovating at all
sony came up with the perfect innovation with the dualshock and they've had no reason to make drastic changes since then. nintendo's gimmicks are detrimental to most games.

Attached: 1562361828633.png (708x2694, 717K)

Xbox One Elite and a X One Brook adapter is all you need for the best cross-platform controller

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 78K)

>ignoring the fact that Sony added a near useless touchpad and battery-wasting light
Add at least a paddle button on each grip and the default controller layout would be improved.

I love mine to bits but I'm glad I didn't pay anywhere near full price for it.

>blurry lemon party
jesus christ I never noticed that

Attached: Ichigo.png (650x648, 364K)

>not using the touchpad as both start/select and binding Share/Options to whatever
The absolute state of consoleshits, can't even take full advantage of their own controller.

The beauty of the grip buttons is that they're programmable. I will instantly lose interest once games start utilizing them and they're no longer mappable.

Wouldn’t it still lack gyro?
Or does the adapter add that?

Low iq console nigger can't use a fucking keyboard LOL

black and white buttons fucking sucked

6 face buttons should have been the standard, but history is written by the winners

Joystick on a trigger is the future

Attached: BCFCD6A4-0007-4C94-84D6-485410CC6D67.png (1280x720, 186K)

this is the future

Attached: LfeEI.jpg (400x338, 42K)

The more buttons, the better.
I long for the day when I have a gamepad with so many buttons that I can play Dwarf Fortress on it.
I'm joking of course.