Left or Right?

Left or Right?

Attached: nintendo logic.jpg (700x292, 39K)

right, every other possible configuration is retarded

Depends on game.

B at the bottom but keep Y where it's at.

Right makes more sense.
Start with the beginning of the alphabet at the bottom. Move up you go to later in the alphabet to B and X then continue to Y. Also works top to bottom reversed.
Left you go backwards in the alphabet from be to A but also forward to Y then backwards again to X from Y but also forwards to X from A. BAD!

Right makes sense.

If you want it to make more sense, the AB row should be on top and the XY row should be second

fpbp /thread

Left. Because Nintendo's color and letter layout has been around much longer than that of Xbox's

No matter which way you choose. X will always be blue. Also Nintendo did it first with the Super Famicom controller.

I prefer pic related any other layout is autistic

Attached: PlayStation.jpg (450x450, 51K)

>they did it first so nobody else can improve it
okay grandpa

Attached: 1565899190174.png (522x297, 38K)

I mostly play on PC so I'm more used to the Xbox layout

>Xbox logo is a green X
>X button is blue

Attached: 349847329752635843.jpg (225x225, 13K)

Damn, even on Playstation controllers X is still blue. I know it's officially cross but fuck that shit I'm still calling it X.

Left makes sense colorwise.
Red > yellow > green > blue > red...
It follows the color wheel.
Right doesn't make sense.

>offical
>playstation europe
LOL

Right
-Better resting position over confirm button (A)
-Thumb is resting on both A and X more naturally
-I only see in left to right burgervision so right is 1000% easier to pick up

a color wheel has nothing to do with proper button placement
otherwise keyboards would all be alphabetical

Attached: 1562534771984.jpg (667x350, 33K)

Left. First come, first serve.

Attached: 1550925820923.jpg (1199x790, 77K)

Everybody calls it an X. Even other languages

Attached: 1567902581500.png (157x157, 12K)

Respect

How are colors decided on the one on the right?

Attached: X and Y are interchangeable.png (323x282, 65K)

genius

Left because I prefer pressing the right most button to confirm as opposed to the bottom button.

By the dyes added to the plastics prior to injection-molding.

A = OK = Green
B = Back = Red
X = Au(X)illary = Blue
Y = Supplementar(Y) = (Y)ellow

Attached: 1565903334735.jpg (3000x2997, 729K)

Right. Here's why;
>Alphabetical order. You read left to right, so A should be to the left of B, X should be to the left of Y.
>Your thumb naturally rests on the bottom and left buttons, so it makes sense for them to be alphabetically first. The bottom button is always the most used, and is the easiest to press, and so it makes sense to be at the bottom.
>Colours - the pairs are both complementary colours, A and B are used a lot for menus and so make sense to be green (Accepting) and red (denying) respectively. Blue and Yellow are primary colours and blue also makes up the RGB trifecta, so X is blue and Y is yellow. Plus Y stands for Yellow

Green means go, red means stop. Western players prefer the "accept" button to be on the bottom (even SNES games do it). X HAS to be blue (see ) and X should be on the X axis while Y is on the Y axis.

>OOPS! ALL X Buttons!

Left. X and A are the primary buttons so it makes sense for them to be closer to your thumb.

*So it makes sense for A to be at the bottom

A and B from left, Cross and Y from right

If you make the X yellow and the Y blue while keeping their positions you'd have a coherent color wheel. If you are not arrogant you'll see it's for the best.

Both work imo, since you hold the 3DS from the side and the Xbox controller from below the action buttons the location of A on both is appropriate.

..Y
X..A
..B

Cross

swap X and Y and you'd basically have GameCube

Y
|
|
|____________ X

Right is the original, so I prefer that.

I think a more interesting question is why does A HAVE to be accept, and B HAVE to be cancel? Sure there was the habit born of SNES RPGs, but the immediate jump to function reversal in those two button positions with the release of the PSX created a convention gap of years, seeing as how Sony's buttons didn't even share the same names.

Right because it isn't some shitty ultra shallow tactile buttons.

Attached: 20190907_193903.png (82x82, 13K)

The thumb naturally rests on the left and bottom button, and since A is always confirm and B is always cancel, right makes the most sense. That way, the confirm button is the easier one to press (bottom) while you have to go out of your way to hit cancel (right). Pressing the right button to advance through dialogue in Nintendo games always feels just a little bit off, and let's not even talk about the games that use A = jump and B = run.

So many millenials wich their first console was and xbox 360, disgusting

neither

Attached: titled.png (957x945, 40K)

i grew up with left so i have no idea how to fucking use right

i either mod the game ot have ps3 buttons or i refund it

Their closest to your thumb even though in most games those buttons are used the least

My first console was the Megadrive, but you don't see me arguing that
>XYZ
>ABC
is the best layout do you? Xbox's layout is superior in both letter placement and colour choice, so people are arguing for it.

Left.
Having the selection button on the right feels better.
Sony got it right too but America fucked it up.
Now Nintendo is the sole survivor.

X Y Z
A B C

Attached: gigachad.jpg (1068x601, 65K)

Absolutely based controller.

>there are people right now who are old enough to use the 4chinlies but too young to know about FIVE-HUNDRED NINETY-NINE US DOLLARS

Either, because I'm not such a brainlet that arbitrary labels on otherwise identical buttons drives me to frustration.

Attached: Xbox Controller.png (1800x1368, 1.43M)

Right.
A being the confirm button while also being your thumbs resting position just feels more natural to me.

A is always jump and B is always run/attack. You always want run/attack to be on the most comfortable position to press, which is the bottom. Then you want jump to be on the second most comfortable position, which is right. Therefore left is better.

Attached: d2fa6xu-b7d0fea3-5578-4405-afe0-5577629ca6ee.jpg (434x510, 52K)

>Play Nintendo game
>Then play Xbox game
>Xbox game tells you to press A
>Accidently press B
You're telling me this doesn't happen to you?

The console companies need to come together and finally solve this problem. I don't care what configuration wins but they should standardize the configuration and color scheme so players don't have to deal with the problem of forgetting which button is which. I also think Sony should cut it out with the stupid shapes, but they probably won't go for that.

Attached: 1509925547370.jpg (534x566, 33K)

Attached: xbox.jpg (1800x2020, 1.44M)

I finally understand....

Attached: 1429196049900.jpg (344x382, 83K)

I prefer letters because they're single syllables, but otherwise the dualshock layout is essentially the same as Nintendo's. Circle/A is Interact, Cross/B is cancel.

Xbox is the odd one out by swapping the two. As a result, we've got western devs and japanese devs can't settle on an industry standard.

Right. Switch is left style and it makes playing DS a pain

HELLO MAGIC WOK? HOW YOU SAY A BUTTON IN CHINESE

XYZ
ABC

Sega pads make the most sense.

Attached: RB-SGA-022.png (1200x1200, 948K)

a perfect combination for me would be nintendo's A and B with xbox's Y and X

I just push the jump button or the attack button. It doesn't take very long to figure out what that is.

remove Z and C and you have the Xbox layout, perfect

>tfw using xbox

Attached: 1450817983604.png (500x375, 202K)

The reason the Nintendo button layout is backwards is because in Japan they read from right to left.

>the second most comfortable position, which is right
If you're using the right analog stick to control the camera, then you'll be resting your thumb on left+bottom, not bottom+right. Right layout is the better option with this in mind, since it covers A, which is used more often than B. For example, when a game has you perform contextual actions like opening dialogue, it's usually bound to A.

i prefer
_____Y____
A________
_X__B__
:^)

Attached: large (1).jpg (800x450, 61K)

Fpbp
SEGA/Xbox layout will always be the best way

X and Y are the most annoying on nintendo pad. Because usually in geometry Y is vertical line and X is horizontal. So it makes sense on xbox joystick for X to be parallel to another button on a horizontal plane, than on vertical.

anyone else notice these 2 buttons are used more than the others?
it almost makes the idea of the far right button being accept/cancel a waste

Attached: 1567901721446.jpg (700x292, 44K)

>then you'll be resting your thumb on left+bottom,
But it's easier to move your thumb from side to side than rock it up and down on its tip and base. Absolutely no sane person would rest their thumb on bottom+left.

hmm..

Attached: N64-Controller-by-Nintendo-Ice-Blue.jpg (800x755, 317K)

hmm...

Attached: 1567905354824.jpg (494x741, 32K)

Both

Xbox gets the colors right too. A = green and B = red because they're confirm/cancel. Y = yellow because "yellow" starts with y, and X = blue because it's the primary color remaining. Meanwhile 3DS has no logic to it at all.
Of course, what's funny is that Nintendo's home console controllers haven't had colored buttons since the Gamecube, because people called the Gamecube's controllers too kiddy-looking. Controller buttons really should have colors, it makes it easier to tell which one is being shown on the screen at a glance.

What do you call them anons?
X - Times
O - Oh
Δ - Delta
□ - Block

Attached: image.jpg (227x235, 10K)

X - *degeneration x theme starts playing*
O - roundy
Δ - three-edge
□ - four-wall

X-pad isn't a bad idea

>What do you call them anons?
symbols with 1, 2, 3 and 4 lines

xy: nintendo
ab: xbox

I'd be fine with either if we'd just fucking pick one and stick with it.

X - Crosshairs
O - Button
Δ - Arrow
□ - Street sign

>xbox uses B since the original to cancel/back out in menus
>PS1/2 games used triangle to cancel/back out in menus until switching to circle since 3

Attached: 1427171689109.jpg (466x270, 18K)

Snoycucks will defend this too!

A should be on the right and the primary button. The nes and gameboy is the most pared down version of this and any other buttons can build off of it. But you should be able to hold b and reliably press a (the input to make Mario jump while runing) which is difficult to do if they are swapped

mega drive had ABCXYZ first and ABXY is just derived from that

so you also call the circle button O?

pickup or derivery?

JASON

Left, because I had an SNES as a kid.

this happens to me with X/Y but never A/B

It isn't any Circle, Zero, 'OH', etc. It is the '360' button.

Y
-X X
-Y

□ - pizza box
O - pizza
Δ - slice of pizza
X - no pizza

Attached: file.png (1020x1022, 82K)

>>Alphabetical order. You read left to right, so A should be to the left of B, X should be to the left of Y.

Nintendo is Japanese and they read from right to left.

>Your thumb naturally rests on the bottom and left buttons,
Except pressing either of them is a chore compared to just pressing bottom and right.

Left, even Japanese Sony consoles agree with it.

What do you mean?

Convex buttons are an absolutely retarded idea

Dreamcast

Attached: 2014-05-09-564.png (800x1748, 709K)

This only applies to gamergirls and manlets and skinnyjeans wearing thumblets.

based kraid

Brainlet. You're supposed to only put your thumb on one button and move between the two buttons instead of putting your thumb on both and shifting awkwardly between the two, whilst trying not to press both buttons at the same time.

Attached: elder god tier button layout.png (204x180, 65K)

I like the GC controller but god it was the fucking worse for fighting games

I wonder why they ditched that layout for the face buttons.

None, at least right makes some sense but PlayStation has the best buttons..even if they are dumb symbols you can recon them instantly

Left, obviously.

Technically its fork

Because it's objectively flawed.
You can't press B and X at the same time.

>3DS
Fuck them for making the confirm button (A) red. It's still fucking me up after all these years of playing my 3DS.

But most games are regionalized so that X acts as accept, in the west.
So it's the same exact layout as the Xbox.
Only weebs will say PS is somehow better because they import niche JRPGs t hat use O to select.
>MGS is the only popular game that stuck to keeping O as accept in western releases

>A is the largest because it's the one you use the most
>B and X are on either side, making them both easy to move your thumb toward
>A and B are intuitively color-coded
>X and Y are both grey, making them stand out less and indicating that they're less important
>But they also have unique shapes to make them more distinguishable
Best face button layout ever. It's a shame Nintendo only uses identical colorless face buttons now.

You can't press the top and bottom buttons at the same time on the modern layout though.
Let's say Xbox, you never really press A and Y at the same time (X and Triangle on PS).

Left, but I do prefer Xbox's color sceme.

When would one ever need to press two face buttons at the same time? That's just bad design.

this

>instead of putting your thumb on both and shifting awkwardly between the two
Apparently not when Nintendo always maps the primary action to B and secondary action to Y. It's been that way since Mario World.

Running->jumping maybe, but no game would ever make run = B and jump = X.

Why is X and Y and not Y and Z?

Sega did it right with XYZ/ABC

Attached: 41ThY9S-g3L._SR600,315_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg (600x315, 16K)

I guess. And there's also the charge shot in Megaman, but you can argue that charging is bad design as well.

I'd be curious to hear how it would be.

what really fucks with me is that the Nintendo fucked with their button colors

in asia playstations use circle to confirm and cross to cancel

I know, but that is one place. Every other region uses the bottom button as accept. Why should every country change to pander to Japan?

Attached: 02f.jpg (655x527, 36K)

Who gives a fuck if you're not retarded you can recognize which is top left right and bottom button.

it was a mistake to change it outside japan to begin with
when they were originally considering using the bottom button to confirm worldwide, they had circle and cross physically switched, they wanted circle and cross to have a consistent meaning worldwide

Holding a single button for 90% of your playtime is bad design. If you want stronger attacks in your game, just have it charge automatically.

But again, only Japan uses circle as accept.
For instance where I am from when something is circled it means there is a problem. But we also use X to cross out incorrect things too.
So it's not as if it is a universal concept. So I see no reason to conform to the Japs.

C
A D
B

>emulate a SNES game with a 360 controller
>configure inputs according to Nintendo layout
>get incredibly confused while playing, keep mixing inputs up
>end up having to reconfigure back to Xbox layout
>go play on Switch
>can play with Nintendo layout just fine
This is some weird neurological shit. I don't get it.

This. A belongs at the bottom, X belongs on the left.

I grew up with Nintendo and even I realize that A and B are better where they are on the XBox layout.

This comic is so fucking retarded, holy shit

>Holding a single button for 90% of your playtime is bad design.
It's a platformer, you're going to be holding a direction for most of your experience with it.

When I emulate DS games, I always keep A and B as they are labeled, but switch X and Y.

Correct.

fpbp Sega got it right

Are you implying that there are only two directions you can move in in a video game: forward and not-forward?

this is why when people ask me which button to press, i always default to playstation buttons so theres no confusion

left because im more used to the nintendo layout

fuck microsoft for not doing like sony and making their layout symbols different

left looks better to me, both works

are you retarded? do you look at the button when youre pressing it?

left is comfy, right is stressful

Right

Change y for x and you have the perfct controller

right.

Right is the best configuration for letters, don't have any strong allegiance to colors since my first exposure to a controller with ABXY was the Dreamcast and nobody in the world wants A red, B blue, X yellow and Y green.

It's not though, the SNES came first and the 3DS uses that layout

okay what if

Attached: ez.png (276x281, 64K)

O - One
X - Two
Δ - Three
□ - Four (lines)

For me it's
B C D
A

Attached: 1538853779130.jpg (960x1280, 137K)

A-wing
B-wing
X-wing
Y-wing

Doesn't matter who did it right.
The problem is someone using the same symbols as something that already exists, but then mixing it up, instead of being original. It just causes unecessary confusion.

>crossed swords
nice

Attached: 1549978161920.png (750x750, 39K)

this this this fucking this

Nintendo's layout it's because japs read from right to left. That's known since forever

damn i loved that game

>SNES/SFC released on 1990/1991
>MD/Genesis 6 button controller released on 1993/1994
>SNES controller derived from Genesis Controller
God, I fucking hate zoomers.

Attached: F2BABD5C-56D2-40B8-A243-CBBBE6BDB1B4.jpg (631x1649, 361K)

Based, possibility the best control for classic fighting games

>Playing on 3DS
>Just spent a long time using a Dualshock controller to play a game on PC that uses xbox controller prompts
>"Press X"
>99% chance I'll fuck it up
FUCK