How does Baldur's Gate 1&2 compared to the other classic CRPGs? It's the only ones I haven't played

How does Baldur's Gate 1&2 compared to the other classic CRPGs? It's the only ones I haven't played.

Attached: skull.gif (310x293, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LxtSG-ttTbE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>It's the only ones I haven't played.
Have you played the entire gold box series? Because if not, its highly likely you've never played a CRPG and are just playing shitty western VNs.

It's very good.
Play it.
Don't expect it to hold your hand though.

Attached: h675h87nn8j.gif (220x164, 125K)

I want to play a bg spinoff where you play more of a sarevok role rather than a reactive role. That is to say you conspire, build power, and go hunt down and destroy better and better as you progress

Charname is a victim through the whole series reacting to moves that other people made

NWN1, Path of Evil campaign.

Baldur's Gate 2 deserves the praise it gets.

But I think the first game is highly overrated and just lump it together with its sequel when talking about the games.

Low level DnD just doesn't translate well into a videogame. It's just way too much RNG. A single crit can mean a reload. You can play a fight 5 times with the same strategy and it will have a different outcome every time.

The later part of 1 and all of 2 don't have these problems as much if at all, because you can prepare and solve anything with magic and HP pools are higher while hit rates are more stable

Translation: I'm a raging pussy who is afraid of any measure of risk or things having the possibility of going wrong, and am too retarded to prepare contingencies in case this occurs

People have a hard time with bg because they can't employ outside-the-box thinking.

You can ironman mode bg1 easy

This
I regularly solo-run CRPGs. In fact its the only way I play them, I fucking hate managing more than one character. BG1 is one of the easier ones to do it on. Usually I go sorcerer and mod in a wild mage kit because I'm a sucker for Reckless Dweomer.

Elves are retarded.

Attached: irenicus.jpg (380x600, 28K)

You can, and I did, but it still doesn't excuse that you have to either know the game really well or abuse the quick save/load. Especially in an ironman run you will get oneshot by a random crit. You only get the abilities to circumvent such situations midway through the game

>Go into a random tavern
>Mage instantly attacks you and fears the whole party and proceeds to kill your MC
>Reload, this time you get lucky and he only fears one person
>You destroy the mage
Wow, nice risk management there. Why are people defending this? I love both games, but too many people overlook the flaws of the first one

>He didn't get the wand from Imoen
Not my fault you can't play the game.

After finally playing BG2, I don't understand why people suck this guy off as such a great villain.

You can't use it when the person holding it is feared. Why so defensive?

You can still move it between inventories and equip it on the one who isn't feared.
You're just REALLY bad at the game. Especially if your character is so shitty that it can't withstand a low level will save.

He's a decent villain but the circumstances behind him / backstory is fucking stupid.

>Bring up a valid flaw
>NO YOU JUST BAD, ITS RISK MANAGEMENT TO SUCEED ON THAT WILL SAVE
Holy shit, take that stick out of your ass man

Westaboos love it.

Attached: BG 1.jpg (1280x1905, 973K)

They like his line delivery, villain wise sarevok handled everything much better until he had to meekly try to damage control but by then it was too late and everyone was against him

Attached: BG 2.jpg (1276x1920, 1.15M)

I think by then when he was found out he didn't even care anymore or even try to damage control
It felt like a ''Yeah, what are you gonna do about it. Get in line or die.''

>gets blown the fuck out and shown that he's just terrible at video games
>has no rebuttal other than ad hominem
Every time

Their pretty great m8

Attached: through the power of hacks behold a chaotic elf paladin.png (640x480, 416K)

Best DnD CRPG series coming through.

Attached: Pool_of_Radiance_Coverart.png (250x389, 215K)

>implying

I'm not playing through the NES version right now

Attached: Pool of Radiance NES PC & Unlimited Adventure.png (1846x442, 82K)

Fighter/Mage/Thief is amazing

You still have not made a single counter argument to the RNG fest that is early BG1. But I'm not bothering discussing this with you any longer. Your whole "argumentation" rests on how I play my game, even though you don't know, in a discussion about something general. Even if I was the worst of the worst players it would still not be any different for this discussion.

>female
>elf
>paladin
you fucked up big time.
>lvl 3
>17 hp
LOL

>Retconning Imoen's superior BG1 appearance
Shiggy shuggy Diggy Duggy

You admitted that you didnt find the wand that IMOEN TELLS YOU SHE HAS THAT WILL FUCK THAT MAGE UP BIG TIME.

You lack basic understanding of the core mechanics of the game. The dice rolls mean nothing. The point is to create a situation where dice rolls are irrelevant, like USING THE WAND THAT HAS NO SAVING THROW.

Or maybe, I dunno, not letting your bitchboy shit-tier low level 0 experience intern-adventurer main character go first when you have other party members more suited to it.

>playing the absolute worst version
good luck transferring your characters, retard

Attached: 1565609192546.jpg (249x240, 10K)

>Or maybe, I dunno, not letting your bitchboy shit-tier low level 0 experience intern-adventurer main character go first when you have other party members more suited to it.
Are you seriously trying to argue that you should be entering every building in a friendly city with just your tanks or your scout
And, if so, that that's GOOD design?

You have a tool FOR DETERMINING HOW YOUR PARTY IS ARRANGED AND WHO IS IN WHAT SPOT.

But you wouldn't know that since you are CLEARLY a braindead zoomer who zero skill or foresight.

Also
>Not entering unfamiliar areas with strong characters first

>You admitted that you didnt find the wand that IMOEN TELLS YOU SHE HAS THAT WILL FUCK THAT MAGE UP BIG TIME.
Cool, can you point me to where I said that? Or even implied that? Or do you just lay words in my mouth?

>The point is to create a situation where dice rolls are irrelevant, like USING THE WAND THAT HAS NO SAVING THROW.
This is not possible all the time in the early game. In the example I brought up the whole party is feared, which happened to me more than one time. You can't use the wand, swapping it would do fucking nothing.

>Or maybe, I dunno, not letting your bitchboy shit-tier low level 0 experience intern-adventurer main character go first when you have other party members more suited to it.
The partymembers you recruit are your level, so they are also shit-tier low level 0 adventurers at that point. And every single one can die from a single crit, forcing you to reload because you can't fund the revive at that point

>love interest cucks you

Attached: viconia1.jpg (2736x1824, 978K)

What does that matter when an AoE Fear is used?

If you weren't shit, you'd have noticed the wand and used it. But you clicked through everything like a zoomer.

And yes that is possible early game. Just because your party is unbalanced garbage doesn't mean everyones is. Protip: Paladin is immune to fear. Cleric is immune to fear via buff.

And no, the other NPCs will have better gear than you at the very start of the game. And they absolutely do NOT die from a single crit unless you are a bitchboy wizard with 8 con.

You mean Viconia?

>Party moves in a block like this:
| | |
| | |
| | |
>Front row gets in range of mage
>Mage autistically shrieks his fear
>Only front row is in range
>Back row non-feared and beat his face in.

This is NOT COMPLICATED.

That one's a mixed bag for me. I love how lively and full of character BG1 Viconia's portrait is, but it is very off-model. Color-corrected BG1 would be best.

>Put your strongest party members first, retard
>It's okay, only your first party members will get feared, retard
Even ignoring that that's not how range on spells works, your own point defeats itself

I'm going to roll a "normal" pally up when the switch version releases but I just hope we'll be able to switch between different character portraits but given it's Beamdog we're talking about I doubt they gave any thought to it

Attached: Summons.png (640x480, 381K)

That mage is a complete pussy outside his fear and 2 other spells. You can bitchslap him around even with weaker characters.
And if that wasn't enough, you can always keep your high will save or fear-immune characters in the front and make him waste his gay little autistic screech.

Stop being retarded.

>Beamdog
You've already failed; get the OG version.

user haven't you heard the news the "enhanced editions" are coming over to consoles after some 10 odd years for some reason

maybe we'll get some cool new modules from NWNs from this!

youtube.com/watch?v=LxtSG-ttTbE

Attached: Grave Robbers.png (640x480, 334K)

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
REMOVE BEAMDOG NIGGERY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Are you really saying a crit can't kill in the early game? Khalid, the mian tank you get early and most people will use, starts with 13 HP. A crit from a shortbow can very likely kill him, and if he took any damage prior it is pretty much a guaranteed death. A wizard with 8 con would die from any hit at level 1.

Also your argumentation rests on the fact that you already know the game, where to get a Paladin before the tavern scene (btw only Cavaliers and Blackguards are immune to fear, but you just want to test me with your wast knowledge right ;)), or that you will fight a mage that instantly casts fear in a random tavern, so you can cast your cleric spell prior

the first one is great, the sequel is a streamlined romance sim

Memes aside, why does Beamdog take so long to do such basic shit?
BG1 and 2 had Spanish dubs but for some reason Beamdog are incapable of adding those already-recorded voice lines in after literal years?

was meant for

>original BG1
Excellent. Fuck all those tutu retards.

Yeah it was a crazy fun ride all the way through to the end,I'm never going through that maze again though

Attached: 4000 XP.png (640x480, 307K)

That cleric spell has a long duration you dumb faggot. Keep your buffs up.

Also Khalid only has 13 hp if you pick him up at level fucking 1, which is statistically IMPOSSIBLE to do so. You CANNOT reach Friendly Arm Inn without reaching AT LEAST level 2, at which point Khalid will have 24 HP

Prebuffing and rest spam makes for a very bad game.

>not creating your own party

The banter is a small price to pay for a group filled to the brim with your own character classes & races

Attached: Vampires.png (800x600, 408K)

>Why don't you have remove fear always on, which has one hour duration, while you can cast 3 spells daily and never had any enemies use fear prior
Do you even know how retarded you sound`?

You can't get away from it if you have any spellcaster (except sorcerer) in your party.

Which is also why short-rest was created in later versions of D&D

>makes his own party
>cant be bothered to give his characters names
So close and yet so far.

>those stats
>female warrior
>17 hp level 3
> chaotic good paladín
>one npc is holding a rifle
this person actually played like this for around eight hours

You can in tabletop, in fact if you've got a DM worth half a shit they'll explicitly punish any retards that try to rest after every encounter.

Can't blame me for you being an unprepared faggot.
You got wrecked by the mage to teach you a lesson:
ALWAYS expect to be attacked.

Wow I forgot that part. Viconia is dropped.
>congratulations whore. maybe you can use your epic level whoring skills to survive on the surface because you're on your own

Well this isn't tabletop, and I didn't grow up with the benefit of having a bunch of people who played tabletop.

Maybe your pathetic surfacer cock shouldn't be so goddamn small next time

Attached: 26o__laughing_laughing_d.jpg (300x286, 8K)

I actually went all the way through user nice projecting though!

Attached: Mage.png (640x480, 328K)

its better than what you've played so far

to be fair she is doing the >merely pretending meme on you

Its no doubt true. Drow society only has less chance for the virtue of maidenhood than western society

Hmm, it's almost like low level D&D doesn't translate well to video games or something...

Where's Faldorn?

Attached: Mermaid.png (82x127, 12K)

Oh yeah she's fucked before but she's trying to majorly get under your skin

I don't like it as much as Planescape or Fallout 1+2 but it's still a great games and definitely worth playing. 2 is much better than 1 but 1 is still a must play as seeing your character go from nobody to demi-god across three games is a pretty memorable gaming experience.

you mean keldorn

I only played Planescape Torment, what other CRPGs should I play?

what the difference be?

fallout 1 and 2. They have more combat than Planescape but it's much better combat. And you can still play the games without killing anyone

Ahem, I think you mean FOUR games, user?

Attached: 1df71eaecbf80d45c593c91c7f64efdd37588bbd49d9319da722725b971c5ce8.jpg (700x460, 53K)

Is it really as bad as people made it out to be

It doesn't, BG is one of the first "CRPG" games that isn't really a CRPG, it's a fucking wannabe JRPG.

Go play a real CRPG like Eye of the Beholder.

I actually haven't played it yet. I find it difficult to set aside enough time and attention to actually do a full playthrough of BG without losing track of what I'm doing near the end of BG1

>I find it difficult to set aside enough time and attention to actually do a full playthrough of BG
I know that feel all too well. I spend a lot of my days thinking ''Aw, yeah i'm gonna do THIS in bg!'' but never even end up touching it the entire day.

They are the standard bearers for all RPGS to this date.

valid points but this is 2020-0.25 and we have the internet. People can liberally ask and look for any problem if they arent a lazy fuckeroo

SoD destroy any hope for Beamdog to be relevant. They were hired ex biowares before that but after SoD they cucked themselves forever. They have 0 writers and even started to lose some old modders. Console ports is their last profit effort before closing.

Attached: AA.jpg (801x545, 96K)

>pathetic surfacer cock shouldn't be so goddamn small next time
I'm convinced this was the reason Jaheira didnt even bother with Khalid resurrection and was ready to jump on Charname's cock.

They're Time Bandits fans.

>JRPG

How?

Attached: meanwhile in the friendly arm inn.png (640x480, 365K)

That's a cold bitch right there.

Who's a bigger liar, Jaheira or the Dryads that claimed they never touched Irenicus

Mediocre. Not in the sense that they are bad, but in the sense that they don't particularly excel. You want good CRPG combat with D&D rules? Play Icewind Dale. You want story, character, and narrative development? Planescape: Torment. You want something that is just a C+ average in both categories? Baldur's Gate.

Git

what's the best thief or dual/multi thief build? Tired of relying on other characters to thief for me

Then make your own cute female thief?

Attached: Confused Mouse.png (372x497, 243K)

early D&D editions and time of troubles lore stuff is pretty interesting IMO

Depends on what you want to entirely do.
I like multi because you get the use any item ability eventually and you can make some busted combos with fighter hla's

If you don't want to rely on anyone else to thief for you just go for a pure non-kitted thief.

Remember. Your imouto loves you.

Attached: imoen-aerie.png (550x779, 259K)

anything with arcane magic will always be a step above anything else. That said either a dual or multi mage/thief is good (I prefer dual because I can still be a full mage)

Sexually?

bg1 or 2?

Do you have reading comprehension problems? I was acting for build tips, obviously I am going to make my own thief

>want to play bg1 in 1080p widescreen
>install widescreen patch
>black bars everywhere and the game seems to think the only shit that happens in game is in the upper left hand corner
>ask on forums for a solution
>dude use tutu even though it breaks the gameplay lmao
>dude use EE even though it breaks the gameplay lmao
>only fix i can find is a UI mod that supports widescreen but not up to 1080p
>can't find any fix even hours after searching
Someone for the love of god help me here, I just wanna play my game in widescreen.

>Icewind Dale
AD&D combat simulator, great artwork. Doesn't offer anything else.
IWD2 is utter shit
>Planet escape tournament
No combat, just writing.

I see the Baldur's Gate games as the perfect compromise between the two, and this is exactly why IWD was rightfully forgotten, PST is a single play through game, and Baldur's Gate is a timeless masterpiece.

Attached: gigachad.jpg (1068x601, 65K)

What do you care most about thief
because this is right If you just want to open shit and look out for traps, thief dualed into mage
If you wanna get the thief abilities and trap as well, multi would probably be better

>>dude use tutu even though it breaks the gameplay lmao
>>dude use EE even though it breaks the gameplay lmao
Are you an idiot

I will never stop laughing at elitists and noobs who take Yea Forums too seriously and avoid the EE because of it.

I will never stop laughing at degenerates and beamdog shills who take Yea Forums too seriously and avoid the OG because of it.

>PST is a single play through game

I don't think that gives it enough credit, it's definitely worth at least one good and one evil play-through

okay retard. I've played both games in their OG formats long before the EE's came out. I will still recommend the EE's to new players every time, and they're all I play now also.

Remember to recommend the games in tablets and also in the console versions.

Even if you literally despise the new content, it's worth modding it out just for the UI updates and modern OS compatibility

>selling your mod of choice to new players
>not letting them experience the game as it was
You are cancer.

Assassin or swashbuckler dualed into fighter or fighter/thief multi

see nothing else to be said. If you really think getting a 100% purist experience of a 21 year old game matters THAT much, then that's on you.

Anyone young enough to not have played BG but still be interested in playing it will be immediately turned off by the oldschool UI and terrible configuration setting of the original, assuming they are even willing to go to the effort to procure a copy of the original and figure out how to install it on what is probably a Windows 10 computer

Beamnog shills, dilate.

Thoughts on Tyranny?

keep spouting your meme words. It's not even about beamdog. I don't like them and I'm glad there not making BG3. But EE's are still the version that is much easier and more convenient to play.

How sinful is it really for some dumbass late to the party to play BG EE instead of the original?

you can even mod the original 3d graphics movies back into the game very easily now

0% Sin
3/4 of the new companions are pretty bad, but if you find them and hate them (it's pretty obvious which ones even without looking it up) you can just ignore them and their content, it's never forced on you outside of an intro cutscene. Aside from that it's the same as the originals, content-wise.

You are playing the pozzed version and financing Beamshit who are so desperate for money they are porting A 20 YEARS COMPUTER RPG TO A GOOK CONSOLE.
It's sacrilegious.

>implying they didn't pirate the EE version

This is neo nu-Yea Forums, retards don't know how to pirate.

I have the links right hre m8

just play through the originals user

The final battle in ToB with Ascension is some killer shit. More games should have a final battle like that. Too bad ToB was so half-baked and that it had many, many issues. At least it's funny how many conversations you have with Mellisan where you can all but say she's the villain but you still have to follow the storyline anyways.

where is random capitals waifu user

He is always IN your heart, user!

you can install Ascension without the harder battles right? I just want a more fleshed out story, but combining SCS with harder battles is too much for me I'm sure

I don't really remember, man. It's been years since my last playthrough.
What I can tell you is that having harder battles and finding a way on your own to overcome them will make the game far more satisfying and memorable for you in the long run.

Very little of the final game seems to be about dealing with the other bhaalspawn.

It would be cool if they had given you the option to consolidate power in amn with the influence of whatever stronghold and the vacuum power vacuum left by irenicus wiping out the coweled wizards to take over amn and bring it to war

How come all the liches in baldurs gate 2 knew capoera?

Why was the city so big?

Dude BG1 is literally exploration non-handholding anti-railroad campaign. It's one of the few RPG's in the old days with a lot to learn and see, stop being such a bitch.

Because it makes the game better and more engaging. Which is why when Obsidian was pitching PoE, one of the things they sold and failed to deliver on was big dense cities with lots of content.

The reason children why Irenicus is so loved is because he was just some dude. He wasn't a child of destiny, he wasn't mr special snowflake, he wasn't an ancient evil has awoken. He was just some nobody who was pissed off at his bad circumstances and with a little know how applied himself. That is why he is beloved, you'd think in the age of the most bland fucking writing where everyone is a friendship whisperer or a graywarden or a fucking dova'kin or what ever the fuck that just some nigga with a rap sheet would grab you a little.

He's basically just another example of the same people who don't understand stranger in a strange land.

Attached: 1457187293490.jpg (623x414, 133K)

user he was an elf

Attached: Black & White.jpg (585x454, 65K)

don't respond to me

So was I nigga,

Attached: 123656.jpg (385x383, 19K)

Nay, voice acting is literally the only reason he is considered a good villain. His best scenes are when you see him in your dreams, but that's not even real Irenicus.