This is Ryo...

This is Ryo. He was one of the main characters in a Street Fighter 2 ripoff that came out a few years after Street Fighter 2 became popular, which was made by a rival company in direct competition with Capcom. His special attack is a blue fireball.

How is this even legal?

Attached: ryo_sakazaki.png (775x1031, 952K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZA8YUSQHhZ8
youtu.be/nEn6MfZ_Ns8?t=15
youtu.be/nszXkHx5Y-k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

isn't Dan based off of him

Because Capcom got them back by ripping off one of their characters and creating Dan Hibiki.

Karate man isn't a copyrighted idea

Attached: TEAM SNK.png (1724x812, 1002K)

and Sakura

>what does it mean
He's probably just stage decoration. If it was multiple characters they wouldn't have revealed him as Terry Booger.

Who is Dan and Sakura based off of?

Why didn't Akira Toriyama, the true inventor of the gi and martial arts energy blasts, sue all the fighting games?

Attached: da232df83163aec3a916deb0c9f03048.jpg (958x940, 174K)

its clear the trailer they made for Terry was mocked up fast because of the leak
He'll get a real one when he gets closer to his offical release but with the other characters along side him

because Dragon Ball is a JttW ripoff so what can he do?

Dan was ripped off from Robert Garcia.

She came later. Dan was the first.

Dan - Ryo
Sakurai - Yuri

His name isn't Ryo and he doesn't throw fireballs. He's also got a tail, a pole and rides on a cloud.

i like that you can use custom colors in KOF to make him just Ryu

He's a total jobber too.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZA8YUSQHhZ8

Or Ken.

>its clear the trailer they made for Terry was mocked up fast because of the leak
Are you fucking stupid?

>Joker, Hero, and Banjo get fully animated trailer
>Terry just gets sprites

This is Ryo beating up his sister.

Attached: 1557855070141.webm (800x600, 1.08M)

More like Dan is a combined version of Robert and Ryo (Robert head and recoloured Ryo body complete with no spirit bar fireball for derp range fireball, haha. Since taunting was a tactical function in Art of Fighting, Dan had infinite taunting ability in Alpha where characters could only taunt once per round)

That's a good point. Even Sakurai's team was like "who're we kidding? Nobody's buying this"

same guy for different companies, it's a Jack Kirby situation.

He has a really boring design. I used to play Art of Fighting with my friends, and everyone preferred Robert.

the sprites probably took more work than Joker's animation

robert also has a real fire ball

Dan's name is literally "shots fired".

>Dan - Ryo
>ripping off the rip-off
what
why not make a Kyo or Terry parody

Not in every KOF.

Did you even consider that Terry's trailer was supposed to be fanservice for the fans? You're a massive retard. Shit, Terry was still rendered in the usual Smash cgi in the end, so they obviously didn't cobble it together at the last minute.

It was a fucking reference to the old games. You think those sprite animations were easy to make in five minutes? Also Nintendo leaked that shit on purpose.

desu it would've been more hype if nothing was leaked. Imagine seeing having no clue who's 4th and then seeing SNK out of all companies getting represented in Smash.

Wasn't Dan Mr. Karate this whole time?

Makes me hope that Nintendo goes this kind of route again with a previously unrepresented company. Imagine a trailer showing the names of every company involved at the beginning of it, then a new name (Bethesda, Arcsys, Activision-Blizzard, Tecmo, Sony, Valve, etc, any you can think of who isn't involved in Smash yet) pops out.

>fanservice
>taunting the fans will all the much better characters they're never going to get

Chrom in Smash 4 was fanservice too, right`?

It might've been because they knew not many people know who Terry is, meaning a leak would get people to look the games up, maybe try the games for themselves and then they could pretend like they were actually the biggest Fatal Fury/King of Fighters fans when Terry was announced.
It should've been Metal Slug though.

>taunting the fans will all the much better characters they're never going to get
The fans were happy as fuck with Terry, the fuck are you on about?

My conspiracy theory is that they leaked it intentionally to offset some of the butthurt from the zoomers. Just like they included sans in the presentation to soften the blow.

This Dan Hibiki. He is a joke character in the Street Fighter series and is based on a combination of the two ripoff characters (Ryo and RObert) in art of fighting. He, too, throws a one-handed blue fireball.

How is this even legal?

Attached: 1248978765-johnnyutah_dan.gif (400x400, 819K)

>waifushitter mad
Jesus Christ

He fucked King canonically, right?

"Man in a sleeveless Karate gi" isn't a very original design. Also, the game added a ton of stuff that was picked up by other developers afterwards, like taunts, special gauge, super attacks and story sequences between the battles.

Dan is a mix of Ryo (gi with undershirt) and Robert (hair style). That's why he has such a big focus on taunts due to Art of Fighting introducing them.

Imagine if SNK sued Capcom for taking back the character they stole from Capcom.

All of those companies except Valve are already expected to have representation in Smash and Sony is indirectly represented by Snake and Cloud. Valve is the only company that would cause a major shitstorm though, imagine Gordon Freeman or a TF2 character in Smash.

Yuri is so cute! Add Yuri to Smash!

Attached: Heroine-yuri.png (806x1156, 335K)

>Terry was still rendered in the usual Smash cgi in the end, so they obviously didn't cobble it together at the last minute.
Not really it looked like they just used his in-game model and it looked really basic.

OK user, who's the most famous fighting game protagonist?

>America: Ryu.
>Europe: Ryu.
>Japan: Ryu.
>Asia: Ryu.
>South America: TERRRRRYYYY WOOOOOO ARIBA ÉSO MADRE DE DÍOS
>Oceania: Ryu.
>Antarctica: Ryu.

At best you're just getting a striker button. There's no way they're making multiple movesets for Terry (especially considering how going by Ryu he'll have more attacks than a standard Smash character since they will incorporate different strength attacks, some directional normals and extra input specials).

Are you ok?

the Zanretsuken is one of the dumbest moves in fighting games

Only bandwagoners were happy, most of you can't name the characters in the trailer.
I wanted Geese

>Geese
If you thought he even had a slim chance of getting in over literally any other character, you are either delusional or don't play these games.

Scorpion is more famous than Ryu in the US. Mortal Kombat sucks but it's true.

That's just because he was in the movie, so the normies got to see him.

Attached: bait.jpg (560x317, 65K)

I think by now, SNK has accepted Capcom's Dan as "fair is fair" and moved on.

This is Mizoguchi. Capcom actually tried to sue Data East because of his game. They failed.

They were joking about it back in the Capcom vs SNK games already.

Attached: Mizoguchi-3d.jpg (587x1024, 48K)

capcom lost a legal case when trying to sue another company over a street fighter ripoff. so they couldnt then turn around and sue SNK too because they would lose again.

And also Ryo was gradually changed sequel by sequel so he became differentiated from Ryu. And now he is just a minor character in KOF so he isn't a threat to Ryu's street fighter.

>the virgin hadouken
>the chad TAIGA BAZOOKADA

He would've been more special, and the trailer made it look that way

How the fuck did they lose? No wonder we never get anything new from Capcom if people can just steal their intellectual property so easily.

Attached: Chinman.jpg (216x311, 27K)

>more special
christ lmao

Don't forget to buy my game next year!
t. Sho

Attached: sho.png (320x320, 90K)

Dan is an parody amalgamation of Ryo, Robert and even Yuri.

Attached: 1542607182510.jpg (418x305, 30K)

Wow it's the most famous character ever way more famous than Sans

What? You don't know Sho? Fucking dumbass zoomer hahaha

AoF was mechanically a fairly different game from SF.

It's the best mirror match in fighting games, you underage nigger.

Pretty weird seeing as how Scorpion isn't even the protagonist.
Liu Kang, Shujinko, Taven, Cassie Cage, and Johnny Cage all were

>more special
You're certainly special mate.
Once you knew it was Fatal Fury, Terry was the obvious choice.

>Sujinko
>Taven
Are you really surprised?

I liked old master Shujinko

"get over here" was too juicy for the minds of kids

Me too.

The trailer was a parody of KoF '94, dipshit.

If you know Sans but not Sho, re-evaluate your life choices. Here are some Neo Geo games you should try:
Breakers (and Revenge)
Fighters History Dynamite
Galaxy Fight
Waku Waku 7
Ninja Masters
The fighting game genre has much to offer if you go beyond Capcom games.

the only breakers character worth a shit is the giant amazon blanka ripoff lady

Neither Art of Fighting or Fatal Fury were Street Fighter 2 ripoffs because Street Fighter 2 actually gave players more stuff instead of being up its own ass with story.

Because it had one ofthe same directors as the first Street Fighter

It feels like Liu Kang is more favored by Asian audiences, while Johnny Cage is liked more by westerners. But everyone likes a ninja from hell who can shoot chains from his hands and when he takes off his mask he reveals a skull that shoots fire.

>Playing the ripoffs when you can just play the original games

y tho

He was a dumb ass, his entire story is him being tricked

Being the original does not make you better by default, user. It's the reason we play other fighters than the 1991 SF2 release

Fatal Fury was a Street Fighter 1 ripoff, ackshyually.

Is it really a ripoff when it was directed by the same dude who directed SF1?

Have sex.

Attached: tumblr_nlbz9nTBQT1r7sijxo2_400.gif (317x600, 818K)

user, the game is titled Deception, of course he was gonna get tricked by a tricky trickster at some point.

And then at the end he turns into good shang tsung, what's not to like?

Authors can copy themselves, yeah.

Fatal Fury was supposed to be Street Fighter 2 originally. In fact, Terry Bogard was supposed to be the Guile-looking white dude who punches through a wall in the opening of SF1.

You mean it has the best sfx in fighting games.
youtu.be/nEn6MfZ_Ns8?t=15

Pretty sure that guy is Joe from SF1

I don't understand how people thought it would be anyone else other than Terry after they leaked it was a SNK character. Their only relevant series right now are Samsho because of the new game and KoF because of the announcement of the new game, Samsho is not popular enough, KoF ,like smash, has the characters getting an invitation to join the tournament/game and any non-zoomer knows the first KoF game was Fatal Fury.

>Teaming up SNK characters
>Teaming up lead characters who are always the most vanilla representation of what abilities are available in their games
That's a good idea combined with a really bad idea.

Show some respect. This character lead to the creation of Yuri, who inspired a series of wonderful doujins by Saigado

>that came out a few years after Street Fighter 2

It was the very next year.

Dan is Ryo with Robert's head.

Sakura is Yuri pretty much.

>Sakura is Yuri pretty much
Not really

SF has an actual yuri

Attached: file.png (960x720, 1.07M)

Because he was designed by the same guy who designed Ryu and Ken and directed Street Fighter. AOF is the true successor of Street Fighter which makes sense because they both suck

Yuri > Sakura

Galaxy Fight always annoyed the shit out of me. You should try neo geo double dragon.

You also forget the part were the staff of SF1 made AoF.

Sakura is more Shingo than Yuri, a fan of the protagonist trying to copy his moves.

>dan has a dorky sister that's also Yuri

I

I never knew this

>Dan is Ryo with Robert's head.
And Yuri's mannerisms.

Attached: 1561793592292.jpg (639x460, 70K)

Why did they turn Ryo into such a clown in KoF?

In Art of Fighting Ryo was like the fucking terminator, driving around on a motorcycle and beating everyone in South Town to near death with his bare hands.

Attached: artoffightingthemeweek_1.jpg (540x398, 40K)

>How is this even legal?

Attached: you will never think like a lawyer.jpg (1280x720, 136K)

Yeah and mecha akuma is dan's dad. That whole ending is a parody of the first art of fighting game

His character changes a lot in KOF. In 95 he's trying to skip practice with Robert, but in 14 he's mad that the others aren't taking practice seriously enough.

>Sony is represented by Snake and Cloud

Mega kek

One of the lead creators of Street Fighter 1 wanted to make a sequel, but Capcom wouldn't let him. So he left to join a rival company and make his own sequel to Street Fighter. Then Capcom realized that they probably fucked up and made SF2 so that SNK wouldn't steal their whole fan base. Since most of the Street Fighter team was still around, Capcom was able to get SF2 out before SNK could get out Art of Fighting.

I think like a lawer. The only reason capcom lost v. data east is because the worthless senile old fogeys in the court don't respect games and don't think of gameplay mechanics as a protectable expression.

He's not that young kid anymore and now accepted his responsibilities as the Kyokugenryu successor, that's what we call character development. His also banging King now, that's also a character development.

The point is why would you want them to win in the first place?

Game is literally made by people who left Capcom and decided to make more technical fighter ,thy used the same ideas they worked on,also sf isn't first original fighter,first fighting game is from 1976 and both combos and special moves existed already,first game with special moves was made two years before first sf and it was Shanghai kid

>I think like a lawer
You can't even spell lawyer, how can you be trusted to actually think like one? You don't even understand copyright law. You fail as a "lawer".

To protect and endorse the creation of more IPs instead of everyone just copying whatever's popular at the moment?

>don't think of gameplay mechanics as a protectable expression.
Do you even know what kind of protection that would even resemble if it had any?

Because he won't fuck King.

Attached: 1553317293260.png (1280x720, 1.35M)

They copied each other during years. Ryo and Robert came out with some movements, Dan copied them.
Dan came up with some taunts and movements, Yuri copies him.
It's like some sort of friendly bantz

He isn't. He's just a character who appears in the opening. Nishiyama liked his design and wanted him to be an actual character in the sequel, with Terry being a proposed name for him.

And it concluded in a glorious way.
youtu.be/nszXkHx5Y-k

>implying the PS1 wasn't carried by third parties

Lawer my fucking ass, a true lawer would have at least tried to argue, as a lawer and all. I request a directed verdict your honor, for my opposing counsel has decided to yield to me and my awesome lawering.

It was indeed, Namco in particular gave it a lot of support from the start, but that doesn't mean those characters represent any other than their original companies/franchises/games.

This is why you can't think like a lawyer.

Because of the constant parody with Capcom.
Even if he canonically won the first KOF tournament, he's treated like a joke (despise beign one of the strongest fighters in the saga).

Attached: 14.jpg (2048x1470, 629K)

You don't think I'm OP, do you? I'm the OP's opposing counsel.

Poor King
She can't catch a break with this fighing autist

Attached: DP21Z2jVAAATY9R.jpg (844x550, 149K)

Fuck Terry

Attached: MynEnytHXQ.webm (1216x896, 2.9M)

It parodied multiple SNK games

1. Sprites were SNK fan service
2. They blew their budget with Hero and Banjo's trailers
Watch as DLC 5 is also sprites

Okay, I will.

Attached: Dlcchara5.png (582x600, 318K)

The court knew it was a knock off but it just barely and technically had enough differences to slide

>Asian audiences
user, MK doesn't come out in Asia but I will say there's this one Japanese Fujo who is really into Liu Kang, Raiden, and Shinnok

When will they have a kid already?

Right after Mai and Andy have theirs.

Attached: RBFF_Mai_Ending2.png (638x355, 385K)

So, once they are old and ugly.
And even that, it will happen before King and Ryo have theirs

The manga did him justice at least. Robert on the other hand

Does Andy even know they're dating?

I've always liked Robert but man do they make him look retarded,I'm still mad how stupid they made him in kof destiny

Yes.
And it's stated that they are fucking

They live together, so probably yes.

Canonically they live together now

Ryo is objectively better than Ryu. Why, you ask?
>gf is a reverse trap
>has a qt 3.14 sister
>isn’t a hobo, has a steady job
>is white despite being Japanese
>canonically beat Geese Howard (even Akuma jobs to Geese)
>canonically beat Capcom’s legal team

>every character in the Terry reveal trailer is in

>Chun Li and Sakura basically accept that they will never fuck Ryu and turned into lesbians for Cammy and Karin
>King drinks her depression away

>Karate man
It's not even protectable by copyright in the first place. Karate is a practice and if you copyrighted it, you just refused to let other people practice it in real life because the mere practice of it is a violation of one or two rights of the sole owner of said copyright, which is the display and performance of the art.
I seriously hope noone thinks something as stupid as this. I swear to fucking god there are people on the internet who need to go retake their law classes in high school because that's where it's taught.

Kyo and Terry are from KoF and Fatal Fury, respectively. Art of Fighting, which featured Ryo and Yuri, was the "original" ripoff of Street Fighter. Though all are SNK properties, maybe CAPCOM's focus was on just the one game

>>is white despite being Japanese
he just dyes his hair

He's half white

>Chrom btfo
>bad

>King
You mean Kasumi

Not yet but the plot sure does tease them about it. Robert, Takuma and Yuri constantly have been trying to get them both to hook up and every time they try, things get weird and they don't. But they do have a thing for each other.

Attached: 1548105560541.jpg (1846x1470, 603K)

Ryo is not Japanese, he lives in America.

In Kings case she obviously needs to make the first move, Takuma already approved I'm KOF 00 and Ryo feels it but he is too fighting autist+living up to the Mr Karate title
I can't really excuse Andy,
>10/10 qt already fell for you
>Willing to marry and have kids
>You know and you kinda like her
>Only start living together after 20 yearly games

It's not Andy's fault Geese is made of rubber and keeps surviving falling off the tower.

Attached: geese_noooo.png (1280x720, 366K)

Capcom likely figured it was better to just copy shit from SNK than go into a legal battle. Art of Fighting introduced proximity zooming, power meters and taunting. It was also one of the first if not the first to introduce super attacks and desperation supers. SNK fighting games took as much as they gave to Capcom.

I thought in one of the recent KOF endings Mr. Karate said he could tell King had been knocked up by Ryo?

wtf, did Ryo just get pranked?! Has King been the subject of a prank this whole time?

The only one of those games that really tries hard to ape SF2 is Fighters History IMO.

Haven't played Breakers but the rest of those games have quite a few unique gimmicks to them like Galaxy Fight's endless stages (no walls), Waku Waku 7's charging up special attacks, Ninja Masters's equipping and un-equipping of weapons so you could either do hand-to-hand or weapon-based combat.

Presumably Breakers also has unique game mechanics as well?

Pranked ryo is cute,CUTE

Attached: 2e9.jpg (640x810, 301K)

What do you faggot shitposters get from doing this nonsense? Is there a euphoria high from people paying attention to you? Do you believe your garbage that badly? Do you have nothing better to do with your lives?

He meant King. They've been teasing that for a while.

People seem to think Terry will derive mechanics from KOF but the crossover is based on Fatal Fury, not KOF. That most likely means it will be on Fatal Fury mechanics, minus plane swap, which was only available in Smash Wii U. And that was only supported by cannon blasts, not any specific universal mechanic button presses or anything, so it would be difficult to implement in the current game. Of course, there are 1-plane-only games in the series, which are MOTW and RB Dominated Mind, the latter of which is just a derivative port because the Playstation somehow couldn't support the multiplane combat of RB Special, but it gives you an extra character and mechanic in the process.
In classic Fatal Fury games, the most standout mechanic outside plane switch was the low-life desperation move, which let you do stuff like Power Geyser. Later games had a meter system for DMs which were P-Power and S-Power.
In FF3 you got fakeout moves. FF3 also introduced hops and far jumps. Guess where KOF96 took this from*?! That's right, KOF96 didn't have hops before FF3, which was released in 95. KOF95 only had superjumps (which weren't in 94). Most people don't know this.
FF3 also had hidden desperations, but that was stupid and I'm glad they tossed this out.
Real Bout FF introduced break shots which uses a halfway filled bar. It's basically an alpha counter but you do a specific special move per character to do it while blocking. S.Power are level 1 supers and P.Powers are level 2s. S.powers can be done any time at low life though and P.powers require charged meter.
And in MOTW, it was one-plane, but it gave you TOP, just defend, and quickbreaks which cancel specific special moves. This is mainly just for safer pressure and combos. But S.Power/P.Power system is still in this game. By the way, the different jumps are still in this game, too.
*AOF3 also had them, but that came out a year later than FF3

Why did Yea Forums suddenly start worshiping Undertale and Sans after the Direct? Is "HAGAHAGA EBIN BTFO LITERAL WHO FART!!" really the only thing you people care about and will switch your loves and loyalties to other things you despise on a dime just to do it?

youtu.be/nszXkHx5Y-k
Some real gems in there

I like how KOFXIII uses Kyo's intro vs Ryu as his neomax.

Yea Forums thinks it's better to have the side characters that are meme-worthy over the central characters. Why do you think everyone wants Waluigi so badly?

Nice Fatal Fury factoids lad. Truly it was an innovative franchise for its time. Here's hoping it can also see a resurrection too someday.

Man, I fucking hated that Kyo headlined SNK. I feel nothing for Ryu vs. Kyo.

Because people want either titties or epic memes.

If Garou 2 ever happens I hope we get a Sakazaki descendant that looks just like this.
The best girls are those that look like boys who’ve been pranked.

why has eagle yet to come back

because he's gay and hitting gay people is a lawsuit in america so they would have to change him to a generic straight white male

Attached: Geese falls for the (You).png (861x638, 350K)

anyone know any good videos that help explain the lore of all these games? like the story of art of fighting, kof, etc.

Zangief’s gay and Juri’s an oyster shucker.

>Zangief’s gay
stop reading that stupid faq

Zangief, arguably the most patriotic of all the street fighters, loving his country and its people despite their backward-ass attitudes towards gays makes him the most kino character on the roster, shitlord.

>shitlord
oh it's you
go back to screaming for sans in undertale

Weren't the SNK fighting game teams comprised of former Street Fighter devs? I always assumed they just wanted to keep some old character arctypes.

Attached: 02415f3f8bed34242f75c8382ea8af4f.jpg (473x640, 74K)

Because she's a woman

A cute woman

Attached: 1545892714860.jpg (700x700, 86K)

You say that as if these people even play "Capcom games" beyond Street Fighter and Marvel.

Attached: capcomfighting.png (584x566, 335K)