How do we fix the Horror genre?

Attached: dsl.jpg (750x750, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uxPjZL8MTSI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

JUMPSCARE BAD, SUSPENSE GOOD

innovation and risk

this but unironically.

Is the girl who's obsessed with Angelina Jolie?

I'd fuck it.

But, what do you really think, user? Use complete sentences, please.

I think every trope has been beat to death. For these generations who dont get "shocked," as easily horror games just dont do well.

I think we became desensitized way too fast. Just think 40+ years ago The Exorcist was the scarriest fucking thing anyone had ever seen and was too much for alot of our parents. Now we have movies that blow that shit out the water shock factor wise and its just a shrug reaction. I feel like horror in general in all forms is just dying. You cant be scary, if the people youre trying to scare isnt affected, just that simple

Damn, Angelina Jolie REALLY let herself go...

Scorn. Enough said.

Attached: h9c6zyrlhze11.png (711x600, 454K)

Nothing against jumpscares but they should not be overused. Nothing gets annoying faster than a piece of horrot fiction trying to jumpscare you every 10 minutes.
In fact, horror games should have this rule: you get away with ONE jumpscare for the whole game. So you better make it effective, because that's all you get.

I'd rather be creeped out and unsettled than either of those

She looks like Alyx Vance from the Fake Factory mod

make it fucking depressing as well

the only game that has freaked me out is Soma and that's because of how hopeless and nightmarish it is

She also got Owen Wilson's fucked up nose, wow!

Only game that was properly scary recently was PT.
And that's only because I went into it blind with no fucking clue what it was.
Once a billion devs copied it it is no longer scary.
I think the best horror requires a sense of confusion which gradually becomes dread. That can often be best achieved by horror sections in otherwise normal games.

>I think the best horror requires a sense of confusion which gradually becomes dread. That can often be best achieved by horror sections in otherwise normal games.

Attached: g4hk.gif (358x272, 2.83M)

Is this reverse bogging?

>And that's only because I went into it blind with no fucking clue what it was.
This is the real problem with horror games, you know what to expect before you even load one up thanks to how pervasive information is.

The only time a game can be scary is when the game itself is the source of horror.
There can't ever be anything scary about a commercially released game. But when you play a game that you downloaded on some obscure website, and you have no information about it, then it can be spooky.
I'm talking about shit like Station.exe or D-6.gro. When you don't know where the game is from, or who made it, or what's even supposed to be happening, then it's an unsettling experience.

Attached: station.jpg (1280x720, 26K)

wasn't it actually a guy

You need a good mix of both.

As long as you can use some nicely built-up suspense to lead the player up to a jumpscare I have no problem. But a game that uses nothing but jumpscares every 2 seconds stops being scary since they'll inevitably become predictable, and a game with nothing but suspense and no payoff becomes a bore since the player will become accustomed to the atmosphere overtime and learn that there's nothing to fear.

Attached: 1553938517753.png (230x230, 72K)

youtube.com/watch?v=uxPjZL8MTSI

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 54K)