Why do almost every Japanese mech games the mechs almost always be humanoid?

Why do almost every Japanese mech games the mechs almost always be humanoid?

Attached: 1525489884914.png (847x877, 841K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KxwUByr7woc
youtube.com/watch?v=Ro_QpDJX-Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=oCbvltWwR3c
youtube.com/watch?v=05p646nlYS0
i.imgur.com/YGhDFZA.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=Dplt-8IydbQ
youtube.com/watch?v=yTcxloIP5mQ
youtube.com/watch?v=C_t47BVtPuE
youtube.com/watch?v=E0DdzZXAGIg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because when they aren't the mechs humanoid you stupid gaijin think the mechs aren't humanoid because western when really the Japanese mechs

Attached: 1539810795272.jpg (320x216, 16K)

It's an entertaining "extension of body". That's kinda the whole point really.

Because the point of the genre is the Japs compensating for their physical inadequacies.

this is ekkusu from concrete revolution. he is a corvette that transforms into a centaur and he will never ever get a model kit ever ever.

Attached: 1.jpg (1920x1090, 406K)

so they can punch shit

All mechs are a meme, even western style mechs would be horribly inefficient compared to just using normal tanks / jets.
Japs don't care about reality and just want it to be anime as fuck, and if its human-shaped its easier for the pilot to know how to move it over a spider or whatever animal-based body.

Attached: use in case anon decides to question mechas realism.png (640x481, 347K)

Because outside of 2d tits all the japs can think about is how to be taller

Because it's cool, you faggot. Man creating a godlike form for himself in his own image, but much bigger and with rockets attached to it.

Attached: 1551846798948.png (1920x1080, 1.62M)

normal tanks/jets can't wield guns and swords, retard.

Cool is subjective.

Name something you find more cool than launching a bigger version of yourself out of a linear catapult and slamming a pile driver through another machine at 150mph.

Nope. Hasn't robots are one of the few objective cools in the universe.
t. coologist

Yeah and you're objectively wrong

Oh mech thread?
Mech thread
How's DxM? I'm contemplating getting a switch for it and AC

Mech noob user back at it again. I want to present my finalized list. Does anything need added before I get into it?
>Gunbuster
>Diebuster
>Gundam 0079
>Zeta Gundam
>G Gundam
>Thunderbolt Gundam
>Gurren Lagann
>Getter Robo (Manga)
>Macross
>Do You Remember Love?
>Giant Robo
>The Big O

Attached: tumblr_ou10semExL1rsw96uo7_400.gif (338x230, 1.37M)

Didn't you watch anything from last night?

Doing the same shit, except with a more reasonable control scheme.

Nope. I went to sleep. I got up, and then spent the entire day on campus. Got home a couple hours ago, and played some video games with the boys.

Sounds like a surefire way to get yourself killed asap. I'd rather gun shit to death.

Attached: DSC100492483.jpg (1600x1200, 2.06M)

It's a good list, although Gundam takes a while to get going

I might do all the little series first. I might just cut Gurren Lagann out entirely, too. I wanna try and keep it more retro. Not a big fan of modern stuff in general, just one a pure art style level. Giant Robo is the most visually appealing.

Attached: 1559995748644.png (245x271, 127K)

>hawken got jewed and people stopped playing it

I fucking loved that game when it first came out. Why do bad things happen to good things?

on*

Attached: TFtJu.gif (449x252, 1.94M)

because a man is wearing it as a suit for the film

its easier to cosplay than to GCI that shit

That scene from spaceballs where the mayor of spaceball mayor runs all the way across the ship because of his justified mistrust of teleporters

What about 008th MS team?
Bokurano?
Blue Gender?
Escaflowne?
Votoms?
Full Metal Panic?
Patlabor?
Maddox?
Zone of the enders?

>Anime Bokurano
No

I'm just trying to get into it, so I don't need an absurd backlog. Just the absolute greatest.

Attached: __akira_howard_astral_chain_drawn_by_kumaponn__b1b384bf0ec8c2d502eccca4ff5d5b73.png (695x850, 189K)

Because it's cool

Attached: 1567606202302.jpg (1200x1805, 884K)

Blue Gender is tough to get into for its art alone. I watched it all last month for the first time since it was on Adult Swim.

>Just the absolute great
>Gundam
Someone's in for a shock

Where did I ever list a control scheme?It's a gamble even in AC. Pile Drivers can one-hit-kill in ACVD, but they're incredibly hard to actually land a blow and you only get two charges per weapon, meaning if you miss twice you wasted a weapon slot. Still, they're a meta weapon on a lot of lightweight builds because they can outright delete one enemy.
Demo feels fucking great. Characters are grating but the amount of QoL features is insane.
Gurren Lagann is a celebration of super robots, having a new = bad attitude is just silly.

Isn't 08th MS Team Gundam, though?
Is it good? I'll add it to the list.

Because when the mechs aren't humanoid you stupid gaijin complain the mechs aren't humanoid and look western when in reality they are Japanese mechs.
Is this what you were trying to say bud?

Can you post some webms of the new DxM gameplay?

Mecha>mechs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>tanks
When the day comes were they will be real all of you tank faggots will be sorry for shitting on gundam.
Time is on our side.

Not saying new = bad, but on a pure visual level, I prefer stuff made before the 2k's. I'll watch it if it's good, just like I did for Space Dandy, but the aesthetics for the older stuff is much more appealing.

Add Armor Hunter Mellowlink. It's a short-ish OVA about 12 episodes in the Votoms universe. You won't need to have watched Votoms itself but it will give you a taste of what the main show is like.

Attached: mellowlink.jpg (400x272, 35K)

Mazinger Z and Gundam. I'm pretty sure there were giant man-shaped mechs before them, but those are the big two.

All new anime fans go through a new=bad phase, they get over it the more anime they watch

Anime mechs are terribly designed.
>heads
>front-facing hatches
>hands
Just removing those features makes a more interesting design.

Attached: 1564719844347.jpg (544x715, 287K)

The future goes smaller, user, not bigger.

Attached: 1200px-Black_Hornet_Nano_Helicopter_UAV.jpg (1200x798, 107K)

Pretty sure Gigantor was the first giant man-shaped mech

lolololol

Attached: Santa for LYFE(1).png (617x489, 686K)

As opposed to what, anything else that still has legs? It's ALL stupid, not embracing the idea of a supersized representation of a pilot is leaving stuff on the drawing room floor.

youtu.be/KxwUByr7woc

@476906681(You)
Cringe

trees are made of wood

Attached: hurr durr(1).png (611x721, 228K)

Like I said, I don't think new = bad, but I prefer older looking stuff more than new stuff visually. There's less "lens flare" and it seemed less shiny and more drawn, with thicker lines and such.

Uuuuuuuuh.....no.

Gurren Lagann is one of the most "moving sketch" high budget productions out there, it's a little cleaner than actual handrrawn but not by much.

Gundam is fantastic you fucking shit taste retard.

If they weren't cool then they wouldn't last as long as they have
So I'd say that they're objectively cool

Attached: g.kaiser.jpg (1289x1041, 123K)

See pic related.
Look how better it is without that unnecessary head.

Attached: de712bdf-2f5b-4858-a9e7-9bccc8bf59e0.jpg (1280x1899, 451K)

I'll look into it.
I looked up Mellowlink, and it doesn't seem like there's much actual mech stuff in it; it looks like it's just about some dude on foot.

I dunno, I liked it. But I'm am old.

Why? Want him to read the manga instead?

Metal Skin panic Madox is a movie and has some really nice animation.

Patlabor is considered some of the best pseudo-realistic mecha.

Votoms is fucking great.

Others are generally good too but maybe not the greatest.

Watch symphogear

that poor kampfer

Star Driver, Raxephon, and Patlabor. Add War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory and 8th MS Team for Gundam

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

@476907259(You)
Cringe

Attached: 1504799650580.jpg (314x301, 14K)

giant robot genre is dying, user.
Ironically, Girls und Panzer, an anime about tanks is more popular than any recent mecha anime.

Attached: MV5BNGRmYTE3ZjgtOTJmYS00M2EzLWE5YmUtODdmNjU5NTI4YTU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDI3NzQxODA@._V1_UY1200_CR103,0, (630x1200, 131K)

You must love this, then.

Attached: d1lykkd-43590d6a-857d-4614-a32c-a28491f76665.png (1124x768, 330K)

Are you a fan of the guntank?

What the absolute fuck did you do to that poor kampfer?

I liked it too, but it might be a bit difficult to get into as someone new to the genre.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ro_QpDJX-Sk

Tanks are mecha.

>

>Make a fictional war machine for a fictional setting.
>Normal fags get mad.

Attached: 1395342656590.jpg (1439x812, 227K)

>giant robot genre is dying, user.
Funny you should say that, because people have also been saying that for a long time
And yet it's still there, because TRULY cool ideas never really die.
Mecha to me is a trend, not so much a fad

Attached: gkaiser.jpg (1280x720, 136K)

>an anime about tanks
you know this is bullshit by omission

Attached: bec54c3bfd94dc34431d10aa06b35f3b.png (552x740, 375K)

That's why I said 'giant robot'.

>human
fucking gross

>gup is more popular than franxx
I don't think this is true.

Metal Skin Panic, Mellowlink, Blue Gender, and Patlabor all look pretty cool.
How big is Patlabor? Are there multiple anime / movies? What do I watch, exactly?
Metal Skin Panic seems like it's one standalone entry, which is nice. Makes it easy to get into.
Is Blue Gender also standalone? I like the look of it.
This list is gonna get fucking huge. The only thing I know for certain is that I'm most likely gonna start with Gunbuster.

RIP beautiful knight helmet

Franxx was shit

Blue Gender is a series, but is also a short one. Funimation has it uploaded to Youtube if you want to watch the first few episodes.

Yukari is a qt tank otaku, floof head, and all around perfect, even if she isn't fusion powered or 17m

Attached: 1539647971948.gif (158x280, 1.28M)

There is a lot of patlabor stuff, 2 different continuities. I would recommend wiki-diving to figure out what goes with what. I'll also add Tekkaman Blade and Guyver (both organic power armor/body morph but pretty close to mechs in terms of functions) to your recommendations, for a slightly weirder but still good watch.

>Oricon released their half-year sales chart for anime’s best-sellers. The chart compiles sales that occurred from December 11, 2017 to June 10, 2018.

>27 Girls und Panzer – 25,891 copies sold
>6 Girls und Panzer das Finale: Part 1 – 69,602 copies sold

Franxx was not on the list.

Patlabor looks badass. Criminal justice is my passion, so anything involving cops gets a big boost for me.
Gonna add
>Patlabor
>Blue Gender
>Metal Skin Panic
>Mellowlink
to this list .
With a job / college, and still wanting to play video games, I'm gonna have a lot of shit in the backlog.

Attached: 9112f189b7debca24b6f82d801d89120.gif (500x375, 1.09M)

Seriously consider Tekkaman if you like revenge.

Attached: 1551313631637.jpg (525x280, 145K)

Please come to /m/ and just add more to your backlog through osmosis, Yea Forums is a terrible board for this.

This

Yea Forums may be terrible but it's also populated. /m/ is sloooooow.

No

>Criminal justice is my passion
dominion tank police

Attached: bunnyleonalovestanks.jpg (1394x1054, 328K)

Yeah but only /m/ really understands it

The slower a board is, the better the quality of posts (usually). People understand they're part of a long-form conversation and will write longer posts to fully explain their point or for other reasons. Also, /m/ is not that slow, threads may last weeks but that's with dedicated bumping.

Patlabor is a universe, kind of like gundam, so you can probably look at the different stuff you want to look at. There are movies I know, might want to start with those, depending on where they are in the continuum

Madox is stand alone yeah. I think its just an hour long OVA.

Blue gender is a stand alone series. The Warrior movie is just a movie version of the episodes think.

Gunbuster is fun. Best floating dolphins

I believe its

lazybones

I almost never post between boards, so I always forget how to do it.
Better to escape from this thread before we get an off-topic warning, because they only ban you for posting fanart T&A.

The manga is a lot better than the anime, except the anime opening was kino as fuck

Attached: Bokurano63_0018-0019.jpg (1803x1287, 832K)

I'm sure this can be converted to a vidya mech thread with ease to stay on topic.

Attached: CORE_Commander.jpg (600x600, 66K)

Thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=oCbvltWwR3c

Attached: ideon simultaneous missile attack.jpg (960x720, 175K)

What's the best SRW game?

I like Hambrabi.

Attached: RX-139 Hambrabi.webm (1280x720, 1.42M)

>normal tanks/jets can't wield guns and swords, retard.
>normal tanks/jets can't wield guns

Attached: you (4).png (1280x720, 1.05M)

good gundam game again when? breakers a trash
also how was the daemon x demo?

All of them except your favourite one

Attached: a_weapon_to_surpass_metal_gear.jpg (592x525, 80K)

they can integrate guns, but they can't truly wield them like honorabu warriors

Attached: 1559829327814.jpg (602x992, 187K)

sugoiiii

They should make games with power suits instead. I like how the mechs in DxM are relatively small.

Attached: starship.troopers.jpg (570x875, 157K)

Because humanoid designs are the best. Two legs are the most energy efficient walker design which would matter a lot when operating at large sizes. Forward bending knees (actually ankles) like birds are less efficient and have problems with their range of motion ("knees" getting in each other's way).

Two manipulators (arms, hands) is an optimum for handling objects; one arm sticking out of the center of the chest would be quite awkward, unbalanced and unable to apply much leverage. Of course arms are optional and in that case it wouldn't be "humanoid", but if a design has substantial arms (not tiny little T-rex pokers) then it makes sense to place them where a human would have them.

We didn't become Earth's masters by having a terribly designed body.

>Super Robot WAAIIIIIIII!!!

Theres plenty of shooters with power armor.

Attached: AdvancedRIG.jpg (370x600, 53K)

Fair I suppose. I recommended the anime because he was looking for anime. If he's willing to read a manga, he should do that.

He can read GANTZ while he's at it.

youtube.com/watch?v=05p646nlYS0

Attached: CY7AyHj.png (1827x1400, 1.53M)

And the loss of the war.

While the game was overall shit, fallout 4's automatron dlc's robot building was a surprisingly fun distraction since you could make factory new designs, industrial shit, mad max, full retard, or anything in between.
not mechs, still mecha

Attached: ragnarok.jpg (1920x1080, 688K)

>how was the daemon x demo?
The new demo is great. Definetly feels refined

I will now pirate and play Fallout 4 todd

Attached: _cirno_touhou_drawn_by_rochika_gekijou_5e12b7fb11954830615983d3e18e921b.jpg (731x812, 322K)

because its cool and its fictional
What other reason do you need spergometer

How does DxM differ from all the other booster mech games? They all have similar issues

Ok stupid faggot

Attached: gurren laggan.jpg (960x1440, 273K)

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING YOU FUCKING CHINK.

Attached: 6E5AEBCA-0AA7-4D8F-BACF-15DEF3E7951A.jpg (1400x700, 157K)

Gurren Lagann was twelve (12) years ago.

See, the power armor in that picture is from the novel starship troopers. And that power armor puts every other power armor to fucking shame, even 40k. They spend a whole chapter just explaining how it works and all the details and intricacies of it. It flies around on rocket pods, it fires thermonuclear warheads and grenades, it is a one man death machine that can, and does, wipe out whole cities.

The Rig ain't that.

Isn't there an entire fucking Mech board?

I agree, but often times the suit = tech part is overlooked. For all of Halo 5's sins, adding ground pound and the thrusters actually made it feel more like power armor. Fuck "sprint", though.

>Videogames aren't allowed on the videogame board

Wearing the mechanists clothing and building a giant robot army was the peak of that game
A better choice of picture would've been SSSS gridman

Attached: Automatron_Mechanist_concept_art.jpg (600x968, 86K)

Pretty sure its a netflix original so fuck off buddy

bruh look at this dude

>booster mech
Please refine this description.
Yes, but it looks cool and the zero-G sections kind of make you feel like a badass.

be sure to go brotherhood, cause they're apex mecha and the railroad are whiny faggots
here's the "full retard" I mentioned btw

Attached: tornado.jpg (1920x1080, 816K)

So you want power armor on steroids then?

Having a fighting spirit invisible to normal people besides you that can punch shit or stop time

Games like Garrison Archangel, Project Nimbus, MASS Builder

A power armor just has to be a suit you wear that protects you and enhances your strength and/or mobility. Adding a fuckton of weapons and utilities to it doesn't make it stop being a power armor.

DxM basically plays like AC4A but with a gen 3 lockbox in the center of the screen again, more basic altitude control, and the ability to temporarily buff your speed, attack, or defense. No idea how any of those games play, I've heard Nimbus described as a ZoE successor and this is not that.

>Nobody getting the joke of replying to OP in his own bizarre moonspeak

THIN. YOUR. PAINTS.

Attached: Anon.jpg (300x300, 15K)

I'm glad
I just want a game I've been excited for since its announcement to turn out fun once in a while, and giant robotos with gun collecting mechanics is a winning recipe I really wanted to succeed

Attached: 1449010993412.jpg (349x324, 28K)

I T I S A G O O D P A I N

/m/ will hate me, but I personally recommend victory gundam. If you decided to watch it, remember that due to sponsor's request that the gundam must appeared in ep 1, ep 3 is aired first and become ep 1. So thing is rather confused around the early episode.
Also include "the guide":
i.imgur.com/YGhDFZA.jpg

dude, what?

Attached: 1558359341038.jpg (258x195, 9K)

If the pilot is controlling them through some kind of mind-link that just lets them move the mech as if they were moving their own body then it makes sense

But almost every mech setting shows them controlling them with buttons and joysticks, and pulling off fluid humanoid movements despite this

sex

>Posting the troll chart

Attached: aiportraits_1563503204.jpg (512x512, 13K)

Why would we hate you for this? It's Tomino going full kill-em-all. We'd hate you for shilling SEED/Destiny or being one of those faggots who has only watched IBO and calls everything else shit because it has "beam spam".

/m/ has a bipolar opinion for victory

bad guide

Attached: 1567172477641.jpg (2800x3000, 2.39M)

I dont fucking know pick one:

> it's a trope.
> toys
> easier to design for, present and pose
> more exciting as a narrative device

Gundam specifically:
> they were designed for space ie: it's a massive space suit.
> the side that was using tanks versus the side that was using humanoids was losing so they decided to make humanoids of their own
> minovsky particles
> GN Particles, Innovators and the Trial System

Is this an actual nip trying to communicate through Google?

Macro-movements + inverse kinematics. Hit the "draw beam saber" button and it will move its arm itself to grab the hilt and activate it. Push the joystick to move forward, the legs and auto-balancer will figure out how to get somewhere.

Attached: 1552718050275.gif (500x365, 165K)

>kill em all tomino's massacre magnum opus
I liked victory gundam to an extent, but holy shit it was almost an exercise in absurdism at some points
Also shakti is the single most frustrating character in all gundam, full stop, hathaway and his waifu fucking up CCA can get in line
marbet is apex qt though

based hambrabi poster

>ywn redline a zaku

Attached: zaku limiters.webm (640x360, 2.56M)

>They spend a whole chapter just explaining how it works and all the details and intricacies of it. It flies around on rocket pods, it fires thermonuclear warheads and grenades, it is a one man death machine that can, and does, wipe out whole cities.
As scary as that is what really made me shudder was that part where Rico tries to get some guy out his suit and ends up tearing his head off.

Gasaraki

*blocks your path*

Attached: Machinedramon.jpg (173x262, 40K)

>All these mech recommendations
>No g gundam

Shame.

Attached: GF13-066NO_Nether_Gundam_Front.png (306x481, 185K)

For more of this horror, read why only Spartans can use Mjolnir armor in Eric Nylund's "The Fall of Reach".
>Regular guy tries the armor on
>brain moves too slowly to control it
>spasms his arm with too much force
>breaks his arm with his own strength
>his convulsions of pain destroy the rest of his body and all anyone can do is stand and watch, or they will be injured trying to immobilize him

This is now a Zeon thread

Attached: FIGURE-047037_04.jpg (640x800, 67K)

no

Attached: yande-1.re 172764 sample artemis_(broken_blade) broken_blade delfing male mecha rygart_arrow sword u (1062x1500, 455K)

It was so fucking stupid, but at the same time amazing
TAKE THIS: MY LOVE! MY ANGER! AND ALL OF MY SORROW!
youtube.com/watch?v=Dplt-8IydbQ

I rewatched it. It doesn't hold up that well.

why did it suck?

Attached: ss_b792f0a0f4c2cbdf6e623506b4c0dc88596fb855.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 560K)

Is this ACVD?

If it's all preprogrammed contextual movements then it sounds like something an AI could do

Its that stealth game that's set in the Front Mission world.

Formula FrontChads where you at

VOTOMS the tv series, everything else is irrelevant
also Patlabor

>As scary as that is what really made me shudder was that part where Rico tries to get some guy out his suit and ends up tearing his head off.
don't quite remember that part

left alive

Attached: ss_49ce2cfad9b5ac2319f8fe9a163b3ebcbe9d9d32.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 2.04M)

Looks pretty cool

yes it looks cool...

Attached: 1567611777777.jpg (295x414, 14K)

hell yeah

Attached: E3C20AB8-231F-4A89-BBEB-EBABF7B31280.jpg (482x500, 32K)

I don't speak weebglish, but I think he's saying the Japanese make them humanoid so they can be easily identified as "Japanese". Mechs that don't look humanoid are typically a "Western" thing.

it looks cool but it sucks.

>Dutch didn’t answer when I called to him. His body temperature read ninety-nine degrees, his respiration, heartbeat, and brain wave read zero — which looked bad but maybe his suit was dead rather than he himself. Or so I told myself, forgetting that the temperature indicator would give no reading if it were the suit rather than the man. Anyhow, I grabbed the can-opener wrench from my own belt and started to take him out of his suit while trying to watch all around me. Then I heard an allhands call in my helmet that I never want to hear again. "Sauve qui peut!Home! Home! Pickup andhome! Any beacon you can hear. Six minutes! All hands, save yourselves, pick up your mates. Home on any beacon! Sauve qui — " I hurried. His head came off as I tried to drag him out of his suit, so I dropped him and got out of there. On a later drop I would have had sense enough to salvage his ammo, but I was far too sluggy to think; I simply bounced away from there and tried to rendezvous with the strong point we had been heading for.

Big Zam MG when?

Attached: ozcmobile-suit-gundam-i-720p-mkv_snapshot_00-56-39_2015-01-08_08-07-13.jpg (960x720, 61K)

Please discard that story because its terminally retarded.

Who designs a suit mean for a human that can break a human's arm? Who tests a machine at maximum output from the get go instead of slowly ramping up? Who runs an experiment without a fucking off button?

user, he's just saying that if OP sees a non-humanoid mech he probably just assumes they're western, and vice-versa with humanoid mechs and Japan.

>still no Crossbone Gundam anime

Attached: 1521902752580.jpg (325x346, 14K)

>mean for a human
a 7 foot tall cybernetically genetically enhanced hyper soldier that can punch holes through sheet metal unassisted

>crossbone is so low priority to sunrise that all the kits are premium bandai limiteds
>the only non premium kit is the fucking build divers one
I wanna see spooky spess gundam with fully animated phantom light particle effects

Attached: 1445257092084.gif (230x230, 1.53M)

Yes, but still a human. As in, his arm bends forward and not backwards, maybe up to 181 degrees at most. One does not design a suit to be able to bend more than that amount.

Sprained and torn muscles from being moved to 180 degrees too fast yes, broken bones no.

okay I remember that scene now.

if you slam your arm back with enough force, even in its range of motion, it'll snap or shatter

Attached: Zaku ambushed.webm (960x720, 2.65M)

Ah I see you also really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like too.

Who let 2ch in?

What?

>AAAAAH WHO THE FUCK THOUGHT A MECH WITHOUT PERIPHERAL VISION WAS A GOOD IDEA
I really loved every design from 08th, the grittier guntanks, the bootleg grunt gundams, ezpz 8, even the autism ball had its charms. also jungle loli titties

Attached: mpv-shot-[OZC]Mobile Suit Gundam - The 08th MS Team Blu-ray Box E11 'The Shuddering Mountain (P (960x720, 121K)

maybe when battery tech advances and they can fly longer than 5 minutes.

Late UC is the redhead middle child of Bamco/Sunrise. Acknowledged, but never really given as much love as Early/Mid UC.

fuck i knew i shouldn't have installed that new english patch

I need more shields

Attached: C1P6KUuVEAErqUQ.jpg (884x1200, 200K)

How do you feel about Thunderbolt's guntank?

Attached: Guntank door.webm (1280x720, 2.13M)

Attached: Gundam attack.webm (960x540, 2.84M)

I love this scene, really show how scary it is to have a gundam fucking your ass

Why is Lancer such a dick in Gundam?

I didn't know Sundowner had his own Metal Gear

>12 years
>go look in my Gurren Lagann folder
>I saved this in 2007
Fuck

Attached: 1186889989038.jpg (644x4633, 355K)

I wish we could go back bros...

C'mon guys, it was only ten years ago.

Attached: have anyone really.jpg (1007x3343, 323K)

chunky troop carrier guntank was cool

Attached: mXqn1Jy.jpg (850x837, 214K)

>over half the faggots on this board are too new to understand

FUCKING WHITE DEVIL

Attached: Gundam A Baoa Qu.webm (1280x720, 2.9M)

and that's a good thing because that mechanical design is shite to the max

whiter devil

Attached: 1515796814141.jpg (1136x1407, 432K)

t.newfag

>

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 12.31.12 PM.png (768x106, 13K)

why the fuck do you only have the getter robo manga listed?
the ovas are the hypest shit to watch ever
half of diebuster is character building tripe
ill just assume other people will help you add more to the list
but generally speaking stick with OVAs since they will usually have the best animation
as for long series pretty much only Sunrise productions are worth watching

How do you even incorporate GEKKOU CHOU DE ARU in a satisfying way into a game? The games have it as a sort of nuke attack but it never really gets the "unstoppable avatar of ctrl-z" feeling it should have, but then it'd be broken since it literally just undoes technology itself

Attached: WuePb7u.jpg (1500x1060, 294K)

Ooooh so close

I unironically enjoyed franxx but it was completely flotm like AoT and a shitload of other "popular" anime in the west that everyone forgets about almost immediately after it ends.

I'll never forget
I'll never not be mad they couldn't get the one single thread of joy left the ending it deserved; fucking reincarnation bullshit

Hows the PC port?

stick with UC gundam only
AC gundam is going to be hit or miss unless tomino directed it, in which case it's worth watching

30 FPS

>tfw we will never get more Thunderbolt

Attached: 1359170655133.jpg (1102x967, 253K)

Have it be a giant MAP attack that drains all the energy from opposing units while restoring yours.

Unlockabe?

Gundam is more or less based on ST's armor, they just made it bigger because that was the rage at the time.

oh i know
add aura battler dunbine - all of it

>implicitly recommending zz or v over x

Attached: 1466464124667.gif (350x263, 719K)

Because from an entertainment standpoint, tanks are boring. They can only move along the ground and shoot. That's it. A tank in action isn't that interesting to look at, especially over the course of an entire show or game. A humanoid mech offers many more possibilities simply through range of movement alone.

Gundams and feddies are bullshit.

eww
add break blade to your list

seeth more space niggers

Attached: FIGURE-047038_06.jpg (800x640, 63K)

What is this from? I don't remember 0079 looking this good

zz was good even though almost half of it is a comedy show
i think i ended up deciding to watch it fully after is Puru 12 in unicorn

You're bullshit.

Battlefield Record OVA.

Attached: Gundam space battle.webm (1280x720, 2.5M)

Late UC is pretty much retconned at the point thanks to Bandai fellating Unicorn so much. Probably could have turned out differently if F91 got the full series treatment it deserved.

Mechas and mechs are the same thing

not sure why it'd restore your energy, but yeah I guess
It's just really hard to balance the explicitly designed be all end all of gundam, only 00fanta, and maybe miracle unicorn or super love-love tenkyoken G-gundam come close

Because a mechas final goal is always being one with it's pilot as an extension of them.

look at this fucking dude
he dodges before that nigga even shoots
fucking fix your internet fucking high ping lagg master
this is why i hate playing with japs chinks and ivans

Newtypes just have super low ping

And high autism

zz is fine, I liked it and once somebody took away the staff's cocaine and scooby doo dvds around half way through the series it turned into a completely straight gundam plot
and puru is fucking cute I don't even care
it's just that calling UC/tomino consistent while AU has things like X to offer is silly

>look more like is 10 years old now

Attached: original.gif (500x280, 1009K)

>All those tripfags

you won't like it when I fuck you with my 12' mecha dick

you can add mazinkaiser too
the OVAs are pretty cool
there was a movie released recently too
it's all in CGI but from the trailer i saw it looked really action packed and im gonna watch it myself soon

Attached: completely infallible superior design.webm (640x320, 1.13M)

it's p much a straight port aside from bloom

kamille literally calls himself an autistic child, and the first thing he does upon getting a gundam is to terrorize an authority figure that mildly angered him while laughing maniacally
in a world without gundam kamille would just straight up be a school shooter

this

Attached: 1567659253922.jpg (429x410, 27K)

i like x too but it's going to be hit or miss
for instance i dont like 00 (it wasnt really super bad though), IBO, SEED, any of the builds and probably much more and wouldnt recommend any of them to anyone
generally speaking, for me, stories that take place in the UC timeline are entertaining

Would he also be a Yea Forums poster?

animal mechs are the best

Attached: Zoids-Wild-King-of-Blast.jpg (600x338, 54K)

Attached: Macross Frontier.webm (1280x720, 1.91M)

>Zoids
>Horizon Zero Dawn (which was inspired by Zoids)
I don't think there's much to that sub-genre besides those two

Humanoid mechs are cool because they're like gigantic futuristic knights.

>there will never ever EVER be a Zoids video game worth playing
life is suffering

I liked 00 but it borrowed A LOT from wing for its basic premise but turned the characters' autism up to 11 (except somehow ore wa gundamu was a bit less special than hiro). Also the chinese lady's motivations were full schizo, and they really didn't need to torment louise so much (hell a lot of tragedy felt unnecessary when they already got the point across)
Kati and Patrick were the best gundam couple though.

3D was the worst thing to happen to Mech animes..

This whole anime needs to be gassed.

Attached: SEED Destiny auschwitz.jpg (640x480, 48K)

The GBA title was everything you could ask for.

>Getting pushed back into your chair.
>In space
wait huh

yea bro just like in real life

Retard
acceleration forces is still a thing in space

Humans think in terms of humanoid movement. Humanoid mechs have hands, you can equip them with whatever weapons you like. Mecha are a good way to include death and extreme violence in your children's show because you don't have to show blood.

Megas XLR

What is this from

mazinkaiser
a 7 episode OVA so that means it's good
youtube.com/watch?v=yTcxloIP5mQ

>Tfw one of my all time favourite franchises only has 4 entries and 1 super obscure game
Bros...

Attached: FaceMaker.jpg (625x622, 43K)

>have legs
>there are wheels on the feel
>they don't even roller blade, just glide around
Mecha will always be shit for this reason. Literally just use wheels then. The legs are a waste at that point.

Japanese mech

Attached: MGS4_REX.png (1020x933, 704K)

What?

Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Qué?

Fuck you
It's photoshopped
It hasn't been 10 years

Attached: 1538743793464.jpg (254x726, 57K)

I want to see the mechs actually run and such. Have actual weight to them. Not this shitty gliding weightless shit every mecha game or show seems obsessed with.

NANI?

Attached: 1547238543480.png (397x547, 193K)

KIMI WA KIKOERU
Give it back, why time so cruel?
youtube.com/watch?v=C_t47BVtPuE

This is perfect thanks, I always hated the pros and cons section of the other guide telling people what they should think. It poisons the well for people who otherwise would form their own opinions. You could immediately tell when someone was using that guide because their opinions would use it as a starting point.

Good luck on having that mindset

If you're talking about skating/hovering the origin of that was Gundam but later popularized by Votoms.

Gundam had a famously troubled production and it's directory Tomino was known for his ability to tell a story as cheaply as possible. They lost their lead artist due to an injury, they had their funding cut, the ratings were pretty low because they were pushed to a bad time slot, toy sales were initially pretty low, it was hell and not looking good for Gundam, and the episode they were producing that week had the Gundam up against three enemy mechs in a forest and they just didn't have the money or the time to animate all four of these guys fighting at once. So tomino is like 'what if these guys don't run but hover around" then we can save money by just pulling the cel across the frame instead of animating a costly run cycle and as it turned out the Dom robot with it's hovering movement was an instant hit and hovering/skating robots have been a staple ever since.

youtube.com/watch?v=E0DdzZXAGIg

Attached: hovering dom.png (1271x934, 626K)

I think mechs look cool and I want to start playing the games, but I don’t know whether I should play first or watch mech related anime first. What should I do, lads?

>I don’t know whether I should play first or watch mech related anime first
I don't think that really matters. I can give you suggestions on what games to play. What genre would you want to play?

You can do both, although the mech games tend to assume you're already a mech fan.
Armored Core 3 is a great place to start with games and Gurren Lagann is a good starter for anime

Giant stompy robots are cool.

Attached: UFFSr35.jpg (1324x1000, 297K)

Will you say that a person in a wheelchair is as agile as a person wearing rollerskates? The legs are just a waste, after all.

*macrossnigger seething*

Because if they weren’t humanoid they’d look like fucking tractors and shit. Even western mechs are humanoid, they generally stand upright, have two arms and a head.

The fuck kind of comparison is that. Let say the wheelchair is motorized. Then what?

GAOGAIGAR

which gundam series is that, doesnt look like the ones ive seen

Thunderbolt, it's an OVA.

Thunderbolt.

Attached: Io Fleming GM.webm (1280x720, 1.95M)

Attached: showtime.gif (360x264, 810K)

Yeah, then would you say that the man in the powered wheelchair is as agile as the man wearing rollerskates?

What exactly is your point? Macross has stompy robots.

Attached: destroid monster.gif (900x710, 126K)

Neon Genesis Evangelion, even though it's technically not mecha, it has mecha themes and designes.

>he doesn't know
Yikes!

Reminder that the jungle loli gets gangraped by feds while screaming shirou's name then kills herself by biting her tongue

Based Feds

not canon

Mechs are stupid
>large hit area
>lots of moving parts
>slow
>takes a lot of energy to move
>legs pose an extreme vulnerability

Track vehicles > mechs

*flips ur tank upside down*
what now faggot

Nigga, is that some Heavy Gear?

Yeah, I like the Kodiak alot. Wish HG Assault wasn't so ass and dead.

Attached: 61d20NdXxvL.jpg (499x500, 73K)

I think he's talking about how "weightless" a lot of mechs look when they're moving around. But you can tell he hasn't watched much Gundam because there's plenty of examples in most of its series where suits were shown to be slow/lumbering with weight in their steps when moving on the ground.

It's the best though.

>inb4 you need to be gassed.

To be able to preform cool matrial art moves.

Exoskeletons > mechas

Attached: 1554380286552.jpg (1920x1080, 229K)

post that japanese mechs vs western mechs image

Which one?

Attached: 1538929463942.jpg (1024x569, 128K)

Attached: IMG_6408.png (248x241, 101K)

Maybe not but it doesn't matter when you're being shot at.

Yes it does. The man on the roller skates will get to cover faster and avoid obstacles on the way easier. He can also change his height so some pieces of cover can be utilized by standing and crouching. The roller skater is a lanky target with large gaps in between his body parts whereas the man in the wheelchair is a predictable square (hit)box.

It is not a mech. It is a mecha. It is a mixture of power armor and a mech.

thats what makes it gay and retarded instead of cool

western mech:
>creatively reimagined walking tank/weapon
eastern mech
>reskin of a normal human, lazy halfassed shit

>right side features mechs from front mission

I to play Minecraft

That's the point

Mech shape is based on narrative intent for Japs, see the alien monster mechs of EVA, the mixed "functional" designs in MJP, and the fantasy of Dunbine all compared to the mechs in FLAG. This is unlike many American mech designers who either copy Japanese designs while strapping more guns to it or get so caught up in muh realism that they forget everything else.

Capeshit and 40k are notable exceptions, and are generally good examples of artists trying to match the tone of their story with the mechanical fantasy but I'd personally argue that the Braves series more fully embraces heroic symbols and style than something like Iron Man ever will.

The Gantz anime is awful, but the manga and the CGI movie and even the live action movies are very solid. The manga however is pure kino if you want nothing but bad ass fighting and the plot isn't very important to you. I still pray we get a better anime adaptation one day.

Attached: 231601a54902cb16ad50204265e7be99.png (762x577, 215K)

nice space battles where 0 mass weighs accelarate left and right while being a completely inpractical and retarded design that is a shitty jack of all trades.
Those gundams would get btfo in space by a specialized space fighter and btfo on ground by a specialized vehicle.

it's not a mech its a reskinned ninja with jet pack.
If it looks like shit, smells like shit, moves like shit, acts like shit and fights like shit its shit. Not a mech.

powerarmors are just the manlets of mechs

Right side is all nip designs, left is all western ones. That's the joke. There is no western or eastern style of mech, both produce "grounded" and fantastical mechs in equal measure.

eva is only one excused because of the plot its mechs make sense to be humanoid.
GITS does it well as well.
Rest can fuck off with their retarded ineffecient design that is not a mech but infact a giant ninja with robot reskin and a jetpack and tiny human inside, it's trash, lazy and uncreative. They don't care.
Western mechs like mechwarrior (they stole nip ones and fucking fixed them) and endless fan art do it right. Mech is actually an unique vehicle like a tank is different from a car or fighter plane from a helicopter.
Instead of a giant human with 0 mass zipping around in environment where the entire cost, engineering, weight, complexity and hit size are all a giant disadvantage.

Guindam and macross is fucking retarded, enjoy it for what it is dont pretend it's "mechanically competent" or "well thought out" or "completely original"

post kino mecha designs

Attached: JehutyZOE2.jpg (2000x2811, 573K)

Attached: unhelpful handler.png (1565x1565, 512K)

there is. Mecha is retarded weightless ninja with jetpack with 0 thought given to practicality or reality eg gundam, mech is a walking tank eg mechwarrior.

Attached: TheWackerOfBushes.jpg (450x450, 66K)

Gakusaver
Kotetsushin Jeeg
Gaiking LoDM
K.O. Beast
Baldios
Heybot

MG Rex is still a better design than anything in mechwarrior if we're talking about non-humanoid too, stay bitter you filthy gaijin.

Fuck you Zoids Battle Legends was great

/thread

Soon™

Attached: city-ruins.png (1600x900, 2.39M)

Soon(Never)™*

easier to sexualize

Attached: https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Folliebarder%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F10%2Fescaflowne_mecha-1200x1651 (960x1321, 186K)

Tekkaman Blade didn't really have a revenge plot. It was a kill your family because they're murderous space aliens now plot.

>TSF Forefront will never come out
It still hurts

Attached: Takemikazuchi Type-00r.png (1000x1604, 1.63M)

Very Soon™

Attached: 1567057499559.jpg (1600x901, 347K)

Fuck off, stupid zeke.

Pic related.

>enjoy it for what it is dont pretend it's "mechanically competent" or "well thought out" or "completely original"
>says walking tanks make sense in the same post
Little hypocritical there, mate.

You do realize the words mech and mecha are just short for mechanical, right?

Attached: Dreizehn.jpg (1200x675, 130K)

Kyosuke please

FLAG's design was an example of trying too hard to be realistic and ending up stupid, however.

The primary fixed weapon was located below the nose, however this meant it couldn't be used in wheeled mode especially with the front fender in the way. It had to transform into humanoid mode to use any weapon and frequently did so while standing out in the open. They spent an entire episode about getting the machine and pilot ready to handle the stresses of a large cannon while standing up perfectly straight; except its a mostly humanoid mech and the simplest solution would have been to just have it lie prone in their cliffside sniping mission the next episode.

Attached: 1541871551276.jpg (184x184, 13K)

ALL YOU NEED IS FIRE AND PIERCE

Non humanoid mechs are literally giant tanks. And tanks are ultra boring. Pure slog. Dogfighting is always superior

Attached: 53270650_p0.png (1414x2000, 3.89M)

Nothing wrong with humanoid mechs.

Attached: 82.jpg (1424x1021, 478K)

ooh, that's cool, what game?

>there still no AC like game with FMP or Muv Luv mechs
sad

DxM may fill that hole slightly, maybe?

>You do realize the words mech and mecha are just short for mechanical, right?
you do realize meme has nothing to do with the internet right? You do realize "internet" is not a real word that exists and is just random letters, right? You do realize "you" is not a word but retards use it instead of "thou", right?

Attached: vanguard-bandits-0029.jpg (800x600, 113K)

>ywn travel from warzone to warzone, selling the services of yourself and your giant robot equivalent of an AK-47 wielding a giant robot AK-47 to the highest bidder in the name of personal profit only to get gibbed by some guy in an AS you can't even see half the time who is yelling at the top of his lungs

Attached: Savage IV.png (725x770, 139K)

>Mecha is retarded weightless ninja with jetpack with 0 thought given to practicality or reality eg gundam, mech is a walking tank eg mechwarrior.
So how do you feel about Big O or Pacific Rim's Jaegers?

sex is subjective

Attached: 1562701085849.jpg (1952x947, 546K)

dumbass

Attached: 1562533068901.jpg (1036x1600, 692K)

Takes me back

Hey, I think I ran into you in an Astral Chain thread.

Wish we could turn back

Attached: telegraph.jpg (847x1251, 519K)

It's from the anime Escaflowne. It's one of my favorite giant robot suits of armor ever in fiction.

The point is that it has a stupid design to prove that muh realisms and robots don't combine well though. The series covers pretty much every argument as for why humanoid robots are bad and inconvenient so I'd say the story is a success on that front.
Gasaraki does realism as well but it goes a different direction with the idea of giant robot realism. Or Heavy Object having another completely different idea on what the practical outcome of giant death machines are.
Macross and Gundam hit the actual outcome of future warfare and then try to find ways to nerf it in the story with funnels and Ghosts being objectively superior in every way to humans so really anything that isn't just "flying autonomous gun" isn't actually realism.

why do the mechs in japan almost never make any sense? I especially hate the angle win designs.
a giant robot should not be able to move fast let alone fly-

what did he mean by this?

Autistic realism ruins scifi and fantasy.

Attached: Because it's cool..png (1436x1080, 841K)

Vision of Escaflowne for some good fantasy mech action

Man painting gunpla take so much god damn time.
Doing RX-78-2 right now

>it's not a mech its a reskinned ninja with jet pack.
I think this hits the problem with a lot of mecha based media. The majority is just a reskin of the super hero phenomenon. The particulars of how it works, the fact it's gigantic, and a laundry list of physics related problems are ignored for fast zippy action. It's a human with super powers. Except it's a robot, or we're pretending it's one. Having a giant robot in itself is like having a super power with how the majority work. So why not cut out the middle man and just give the person super powers? Or magic. Gundam certainly likes treating the suits themselves with the same reverence one would a god instead of a complex machine.

You might as well throw out the entire idea of a giant robot if you're going to ignore ever element that makes a giant robot cool.

Look at this fatty

Attached: 717ZjKUbI0L._SX425_.jpg (425x540, 31K)

Because humanoid is the best.

Attached: stephen-zavala-ravage-3-sz.jpg (1920x1026, 771K)

Can't believe I'm saying this but thank Christ the Chinks saved this movie.

>argument about realism
>even gundam creators said it's not realistic

Gotta thank the new director too for saving the franchise, he literally grew up with the show.

Attached: stephen-zavala-shockwave-3-sz.jpg (1920x1026, 842K)

Attached: Decepticons2.webm (1280x720, 2M)

>Japs don't care about reality and just want it to be anime as fuck
Yes if you pretend that all mecha anime is super robot anime.

>muv luv
Yuck