Unpopular Smash Opinions

Well it's been a while and we're nearing the end of the first challenger pack, so let's hear 'em.
>I think Steve and Reimu would be great additions and have good moveset potential, but Jesus Christ the shitposting fags on Yea Forums are annoying
>Banjo is kind of dull moveset wise. He's very faithful and fun, but compared to other characters introduced in Ult and 4, he feels like his moveset was designed in Melee, which I guess makes sense in a way
>The only 1st parties that I think still deserve to be in are Paper Mario and Dixie Kong. As much as I'd love to see Porky or Sylux or BWD, if they weren't in the base roster I'd doubt they'd come as DLC
>Boomer/Zoomer shit doesn't exist
>This is looking to be the final Smash before reboot/revamp, so the roster bloat is fine to me
>Waluigi is a trash-tier meme pick and the only character that I actively dislike
>Terry is ok. He's not SUPER HYPE OH MY GOD but he's fine and is different enough from Ken that I think he could be cool

Attached: It's funny that you think that.png (595x160, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5toVjFq0O_4
youtube.com/watch?v=VUhihcRz8pk
youtube.com/watch?v=waMXTrx4SGw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

my nigga

Attached: 1554144165937.png (532x582, 514K)

Third party characters that don't have sufficient relevance to Nintendo have no business being in the game. Third party faggotry has ruined Smash discussion because a bunch of literal whos that have nothing to do with Nintendo are all people talk about now.

Plant is perfect as a joke character but he should stay bottom tier for this reason.

Banjo turned out to be very lame. No collecting mechanic and all of his moves are ripped directly from other fighters

Casual elitists who get assblasted about tournaments that they don't play in are worse than tourneyfags.

I agree with this but I think the sole exception was Cloud. You could make a case for Snake, but Final Fantasy does have its roots tied to Nintendo, and Cloud is the mascot, so it makes sense. Joker is inexcusable though and I'd rather not see Master Chief or Heavy

This is going to be the case for every future fighter because there are only so many spins you can put on punching, kicking, body slamming and spinning, and Smash has already covered all of them with its many fighters.
Unless they actually pick someone with an appropriate body type and powers to be proper unique in the way you want, like King Boo, but they won't.

I wish there wasn’t another season of DLC characters. I’m sick of listening to to people rosterfag and claim some sort of knowledge or criteria on who should be in or why when it’s ultimately Sakurai doing whatever he wants so long as he gets Nintendo’s approval.

King K. Rool is awesome and a living manifestation of fan desire

>wanting every DLC to be some stupid gimmick shit
I am pleased with Banjo even though he seems a bit undertuned. He's exactly what I thought he would be.

the only people who unironically think this way are rosterfags (who think characters people actually care about are blocking their precious geno and isaac from getting in) and console-war fanboys (who don't want to admit that anything other than their bing bing shit is popular or iconic).

>Steve
Yes. Already have an idea.
>Reimu
Don't know enough about her.
>Banjo
From what I've seen, and haven't yet played, yes. There were opportunities for more variety with eggs and feathers in there that didn't really manifest. Looks fun to play still, though.
>Paper Mario
Unless he has a really distinct moveset, no.
>Dixie Kong
I can see it.
>First parties in general
There's a massive goldmine of viable characters, and deciding who "deserves" to be in is a nebulous conversation.
>Boomer/Zoomer shit
Ehh, there's definitely a little something to it - just not as much as people make it out to be.
>Final Smash
Yeah, probably.
>Roster bloat
Fill me the fuck up, sempai.
>Waluigi
Nah, I think there's a lot of potential fun there as a character. I'm not quite sure why the internet has latched onto him in general, but I can see exactly where he would fit into a roster.
>Terry
Only concern I have is making him distinct as a headline fighting game character from the others we already have.

Here's mine:
>Sonic could use more reps, but the first priority is Dr. Robotnik, and Shadow should never be made playable until a number of criteria are filled
>Dark characters that weren't alternate outfits/colours for existing characters and yet acted exactly the same were a mistake
>Sakurai needs to be taken off the franchise - not because he's done a bad job, which he hasn't, but because it may literally kill him
>Nintendo should consider this game a testing ground for pocket dev teams contributing content, and carefully poach features from fan projects like M
>Changing that one track from Melee's instrumentation in every subsequent game was stupid
>World of Light would've been better if you could play it co-op
>Not having descriptions on the spirits like the old trophy descriptions means that the game is missing a fundamental part of its soul

Attached: Big Loves Froggy.jpg (1920x1080, 266K)

>Marth, Ike, and Robin are all deserving characters who should be in the next game. Corrin's shit, but he at least has an original moveset. The three Marth clones aren't necessary, especially Lucina and Chrom. That being said, it's not worth getting too worked up over at the moment, seeing as how Ultimate's gimmick is bringing everyone back
>Porky should be brought back as a boss, not a fighter. The WoL boss rush is a poor replacement for a proper boss rush mode.
>the overabundance of smash threads is a good casual filter for Yea Forums, especially the newfags who ask for a /smash/ board to be made
>being a fan of both smash and other fighting games is suffering because Yea Forums's FGC has a collective aneurysm if you mention smash in a fighting game thread, and the smash fanbase on Yea Forums couldn't even recognize Terry
>Bomberman is the only AT that I think was deserving to be playable
>Ridley and Diddy should've been in Melee
>the next smash isn't going to be as nearly as heart-breaking as people are making it out to be, roster-wise. We'll lose most of the clones and echoes, except Toon Link, Luigi, Ganon, and Falco I imagine, the three Marth clones, PP, Corrin, and the SE reps, but outside of that, I can imagine a lot of the 3rd-parties will probably return
>Akuma should've been an echo fighter
>it was reasonable that people assumed Shadow was going to be an echo fighter, even if there was a lot of whining about it afterward
>spirits were a pretty big waste of time, and serve as a poor replacement for trophies
>Alph should've been upgraded into an echo
>TP Link (with 4 costumes being OoT Link, switching out the voices and all) should be an echo for Link
>same for Zelda
>TP Ganon should be a costume for Ganon, though that's not really unpopular
>Miiverse should've returned as a stage
>Sakurai wasted most of SF's music on having every last Type A and B variations for the entire SFII cast

Banjo's trailer was the worst by far. It honestly felt like Microsoft allowed Banjo into Smash at the last second, so they just edited Rool's trailer, which says a lot considering the others had their own trailers.
While on the topic of Banjo, in my opinion, he didn't deserve to get into Smash.

>Changing that one track from Melee's instrumentation in every subsequent game was stupid
Could you please be more specific? Which track?

I miss the decision mode from melee.

Samus is not relevant enough to be in Smash, let alone ZSS or Dark Samus

This. The addition of Snake and Sonic in Brawl was the start of the downfall, with Ultimate having now reached the point of ruining the series's integrity both currently and retroactively.

>Steve and Reimu
True
>Banjo
Yeah, but its nice to see a character that doesn’t seem so gimmicky
>1st party
I think any character should be able to make it in, and I think anyone who uses the “bottom of the barrel” argument is an idiot
>Boomer/Zoomer
Eh
>reboot
I don’t think an entire reboot is coming but cuts are inevitable, whether people want them to be or not
>Waluigi
I don’t hate him, but I’m not really a big fan of him
>Terry
Agreed

Here are some of my opinions
>Smash Ultimate at launch felt like Mario tennis aces or Kirby star allies at launch for me, but my feeling have improved
>Smash 4 wasn’t as bad as everyone tries to make it out to be

Bump

>Also, world of light was shit

Priority with the DLC should be new franchises. Crash Bandicoot deserves a spot more than a second Sonic rep.

I agree with everything you've said except for the Banjo part. DLC characters (that aren't returning) tend to be more complex and gimmicky than regular characters, though this isn't unique to Smash. Banjo being a simple clean character is a good change of pace when compared to the 2 weirdos that came before.

As for my opinions... I'm pretty much a normie and don't have any crazy unpopular opinions. I guess I want Doomguy in the game unironically, I love me some power armor and would love shelling people with Shotguns.

Attached: Doomguy.jpg (1400x1100, 304K)

It's a shame that people will eat up this DLC just because the characters namesake. It's also shame we aren't going to see more first party characters especially ones from core Nintendo franchises that you can always count on to have pretty unique fighters not counting clones. Maybe Botw 2 will get a shill character hopefully

Attached: Sheriff’s_Spirte.png (350x365, 31K)

I unironically want a Three Houses character of some kind. A 3-lords-in-one type fighter would be the dream
Also unless you're playing bad online, zoners aren't bad and shitters need to learn to adapt

Attached: EAYOAyJUcAAOwxI.jpg (960x1200, 142K)

Paper Mario is a terrible choice because you know they'd go with sticker star/color splash moveset

Attached: 1446245813404.jpg (192x146, 11K)

never ever arlo

>>Not having descriptions on the spirits like the old trophy descriptions means that the game is missing a fundamental part of its soul
one of the most fucking based things ive ever read

>m-muh geno!
>m-muh hat goomba!
>m-muh waluigi!

Yea Forums only hates Waluigi now because hes popular on reddit

Smash with items on and more players is more fun than 1 on 1s.

>>being a fan of both smash and other fighting games is suffering because Yea Forums's FGC has a collective aneurysm if you mention smash in a fighting game thread, and the smash fanbase on Yea Forums couldn't even recognize Terry
God, this is the worst feeling ever, fuck me.

youtube.com/watch?v=5toVjFq0O_4
youtube.com/watch?v=VUhihcRz8pk

>Steve has good moveset potential
How would Steve be ANY different from the three Links?
>Paper Mario
>deserving
It's bad enough we have three Links and Four Marths. We do NOT need a third Mario in any form.
>Waluigi is a trash-tier meme pick
Yet he seems to be the only Mario Spin-Off series character omitted from the game. He's more deserving than a goddamn hat goomba, despite the fact he was a meme character to begin with. He's carved out a more noteworthy history than any other singular Mario series character that isn't already present in Smash, so I don't know what the deal is.

SHUT THE FUCK UP SMASHERS FUCK POST THIS STUPID SHIT ON REDDIT FUUUUUUUUUUCK

Attached: 1567712036822.png (908x769, 643K)

I feel as if they were a little bit lazy with the costumes, sometimes I think they could have done a little more with the costumes other than "We changed the hair color to the hair color of another character in the series!"

For example, Snake not having an eyepatch in a single one of his skins.

Or Lucina not wearing a mask as an alt.
They even had Lucina put on the mask for her taunt

Attached: EDs8gRhVAAIqqoV.jpg (1664x1000, 253K)

>Cloud is the mascot
This is how overrated FF7 is

How many of these characters don't have sufficient relevance anyway?
I can only think of Snake, Cloud and Joker. Most of the third party added so far was born on Nintendo to start with.

yep its a real shame they steal the slots from true video game icons like isaac goldsun and geno earthbound

What consists of enough sufficient relevance to Nintendo?

Metal Gear 1&2 were both on NES, Metal Gear solid got a reboot on the Gamecube and Snake Eater got a remake for the 3DS.

Atlus has been making games on Nintendo systems for a long time now, and there are 9 games in the Shin Megami Tensei franchise on Nintendo systems.

I truly wish they released melee HD

OP is based.

It is but he pretty much is the mascot now. Personally I would've preferred Black Mage as the FF rep. I mean, he was even in Mario Basketball

Fire Emblem was the worst thing to ever happen to smash and outside of robin I hate every single one of their inclusions
I somehow hate Joker even more than the swordfaggots, he sticks out like a sore thumb and is just unfun to play against
Literally everyone else is fine to me though
FS meter and items are fun

Attached: 1566370956843.png (311x441, 87K)

I honestly they think they should reboot almost completely for the next game, reconsidering every veteran character's movesets, making deep cuts in favor of unique new fighters, maybe even a new art style that ties the whole cast together. Almost all new stages, please. I also badly want another attempt at an adventure mode with branching paths that feels like its all one huge map.
I don't think there's anything wrong with a plethora of Mario and Pokemon characters, since those characters are indeed the most iconic and are more unique than other regular human type fighters.
I have nothing against any of the 3rd party characters themselves (thus far) but I wouldn't mind if they were dropped for a game to focus on more surprising Nintendo picks, or limited to Sonic, Pacman, plus 2 or 3 new ones.

Franchises like Final Fantasy don't and shouldn't have a character that only appears in one main series game as a mascot, if Final Fantasy does have a mascot then it's the Chocabos

>Sakurai needs to be taken off the franchise - not because he's done a bad job, which he hasn't, but because it may literally kill him
This is the most based opinion in this whole thread. Sakurai constantly looks like he's about to fall into a coma at any second.

Zelda representation is shit, a good way to fix it is to cut the two Link clones, give Ganondorf a unique moveset and add Midna, Ghirahim and maybe Lana

>Marios Fludd should have been cappy in this game
>Shantae would be a fine addition if done right
>So would spongebob even though he's never gonna happen
>Fire emblem should only be marth, ike, and roy
>ZSS is one of the most obnoxious characters to fight
>If Sonic ever got a second rep it should be Eggman
>Rayman should have been in since brawl

Attached: 1556911788423.png (411x412, 296K)

Smash ultimate would be a thousand times more fun and a better game if it had all the features and move sets of Project M added to it, especially if all of its newcomers had the same design philosophy put into them as Project M characters

Reimu and Doomguy should both be in, not one or the other, both.

Attached: BAE0BE52-4DDF-4170-878C-B296D92FC5DC.jpg (2048x1152, 334K)

Cinematic Final Smashes fucking suck and shouldn't have become the standard.

Fuck off with that, people jack off PM's moveset changes when the only standouts were Sonic and Lucario
Some of them made the character legit less fun and more linear, like Lucas and Mario. Some of them were incredibly pointless and barely changes the character's gampelan, like DK and Wario. Some of them legit overtuned the fuck out character;s kits, like Wolf, Mewtwo and Pit, the last of who had to be nerfed into B-Tier irrelevancy before he could even be considered balanced and the former two are still considered some of the best characters to this day, by a disproportionate amount
also, they barely fucking touched Meta Knight and kept his retarded Gliding, which alone is enough to keep him #1 and keep Charizard form literal bottom of the barrel

Any character that is just a variant of another character that needs a unique moveset is a bad choice. You like Mario? He's in the game already.

Fuck Megaman and megaman players. The absolute worst to fight against holy shit.

Attached: 1516547971807 2.jpg (724x626, 127K)

Online sucks dick and cannot be used to determine actual skill level. It constantly feels like there’s a small delay whenever I try to attack and it feels ridiculously clunky.

That's not an unpopular opinion at all. Everyone knows online is trash.

>>Boomer/Zoomer shit doesn't exist
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO OLD GAME GOOD SHUT UP ME BOOMBOOM

god melee's soundtrack is just incredible. the second isnt terrible, but they shouldve just not changed it
youtube.com/watch?v=waMXTrx4SGw

PM is absolute trash, i rather just stay with melee.

Phoenix Wright is one of the only characters I'd actually despise if he ever got in. Have no fucking clue why he has such a large fanbase around here.

Samus still doesn't have an actual Fusion skin.

Attached: tumblr_p2825lJZPq1ugm5xuo1_1280.jpg (800x1200, 222K)

based bomberbro. he was my only pick to get in
and also rayman

>May I ask why?

Shit didn't mean to greentext
May I ask why?

He's from a VN "game" franchise. It's no better than putting in a character from a movie game.

i think that's kinda the appeal of the character. he's not high up on my wishlist, but i think he'd be cool just because his moveset would have to be pretty creative for it to work.

His entire character was created because Wario needed a partner for fucking tennis. Let him get in an ACTUAL mainline Mario or Wario game first. Would honestly rather have fucking Captain Toad

I've almost lost all confidence in Sakurai's ability to change. I've waited 5 years for Kirby to even get something new beyond Sakurai's influence, and I've been blatantly ignored.
If I don't see Adeleine on the spirits list at the end of the development cycle, Sakurai needs to leave.

Attached: 1516438956613.jpg (250x183, 6K)