Redpill me on Torchlight 2, is it good? Would the switch version be good?

redpill me on Torchlight 2, is it good? Would the switch version be good?

Attached: tl2.jpg (256x366, 51K)

its fucking awful.

I have literally never made it past Act 2 because its so fucking boring and I drop it.

And there aint gonna be mod support on console so thats even more reason to avoid it.

It's alright. Diablo 3 and Path of Exile are better. D3 is on the switch, so unless you just hate D3, I'd go with it.

It's alright. The Switch version is probably fine, but it's better with mods, which is PC-only.
Build diversity is alright although the classes can feel shoehorned into certain setups.
Fun for one or 2 run-throughs.
Character diversity went into the fucking toilet. Everyone feels bland, both the MC and the quest givers and bosses and such, as opposed to the original, where characters had personality. You can partly thank character customization for this.
Give it a whirl if ya want.

Incredibly boring, if you want an arpg for the switch just get diablo 3.

It's in top#3 of singleplayer HnS arpgs.
Vanilla is great, consider Synergies Mod, it's the best one.

Hole fuck I can't believe people are recommending Diablo3.
Is this fucking baiting? Are you fucking niggers sane?

Had it since launch. Never bothered going more then a few hours in since it's so fucking boring. Its insanely boring.

>flat damage and armor values
>fucking anti-critical chance aka fumbles
>higher difficulty is just enemies with tremendously inflated stats
who the fuck thought this was a good idea

A studio that's been disbanded.

>diablo 3
Yikes

> fuck I can't believe people are recommending Diablo3.
Is this fucking baiting? Are you fucking niggers sane?
seems to be a lot of dumb bros advocating d3

there's always a minority who will play anything. the crackheads of vidya

It honestly was a disappointment to me. I had more fun with the first one.

It's among the best

- Grim Dawn
- Torchlight II
- Titan Quest: AE
- Victor Vran
- Van Helsing: Final Cut

Only Grim Dawn is good out of those.

titan quest is great too. fuck off tranny

It’s okay. I was really hyped for TL2 after playing the first with the knowledge that it was very low budget. Was hoping that they’d hit their stride with the series in the sequel with the positive reception of the first, mistakes learned from, and more funding.
However, it was just “eh.” The ending was absolutely anticlimactic, my roommate where honestly unaware we beat the game when it happened. I was just looking for the next quest acceptor.
Stick with the first, it’s more focused and humble.

its a bit short

It's boring as fuck, don't bother. The rebalance mod doesn't help it either. If you want an ARPG just stick to the king, Diablo 2.

it's just worse Grim Dawn. 90% of the skills are passive 5% chance to trigger on attack and fights take hours.

Didn’t like it

grim dawn is better for sure but tq is till worth playing

you boomers are delusional.

It plays like fucking shit. It ain't adventure point&click to hold up after all these years, it's heavily focused on mechanical gameplay loops.

It's XXI century, gramps.

Attached: 1555118074196.jpg (640x427, 42K)

people like to hate on it because of the simplicity of the rpg mechanics and cartoony art design, you should play it and figure it out yourself

Attached: 1468442412228.gif (400x399, 321K)

It wasn't even as good as Diablo 2
avoid it

It's okay. A bit boring (especially if you don't play CoOp), but better than "Diablo III".

If you want a good ARPG try Victor Vran or Grim Dawn.

cretin.

What's wrong with diablo 3?

>zoomer gets mad his baby arpg doesn't hold a candle to Diablo 2
LMFAO do you have any actual criticism or do you just like to spout buzzwords? Faggot.

Diablo 3 isn’t better than anything. I’m a shitter at Arpgs and I cleared d3 end game no problem

diablo 3 is shit but not as shit as you make it sound, stop being a bandwagon faggot

you are a fucking idiot if you seriously think Torchlight 2 came anywhere close to Diablo 2

>people calling it boring and shilling diablo 3

times really have changed

>poefags

Attached: 1566404383035_1.jpg (960x928, 75K)

it's decent but it doesn't have the same level of depth as diablo 2. the difficulty system is jank and the amount of modifiers available for items doesn't make room for any interesting builds

Fuck you faggots, I played Diablo 3 on launch and it was so fucking bad it ruined THE ENTIRE FUCKING GENRE FOR ME

THAT'S HOW BAD IT IS
I CAN'T PLAY ANY ARPG ANYMORE WITHOUT GETTING ANGRY ABOUT DIABLO 3

FUCK DIABLO 3
FUCK ACTIVISION
FUCK BLIZZARD
AND FUCK TRANNIES

Attached: wojak rage.jpg (808x805, 35K)

All three console ports are the same. And the port is suffering from crippling bugs and issues due to the gameplay changes and UI overhaul. There is a community bug report post about it, if you google it. But I recommend waiting for a sale, which might happen after the patches are out.

I bought diablo 3 last year with the expansion and had fun with it desu.

It's okay. Mods make it better be it Unearthed Arcana or the other more popular one.

Unless Torchlight 2 also does some retarded "fifty difficulty modes and three different priorities with no room browsing so good luck finding a full game" bullshit, Diablo 3 is still the worst choice of modern ARPG.

based

no, it's way above it.
Nostalgia is helluva drug.

Attached: 1371797945887.jpg (1280x1819, 1.22M)

when a game is shit, at least it should be fast so you can have quick fun with it.

diablo 3 does that.

torchlight on the other hand.... not so much.

PoE is on a whole other level of shit, it's the most boring of them all, it's the slowest of them all, and it pretends to be complex by throwing a retarded skill system with shitloads of literally nothing.

in the end for ARPG's "Fun > Difficulty"

and nothing beats the diablo series at that, the closest ones to do it were Grim Dawn and the Van Helsing series.

this is factual, this is the only true post on this entire thread, deal with it, suck my dick, kiss my ass, and fuck off.

B^)

I’m curious as to why you think d3 isn’t dogshit. Pls tell me why

Attached: 1564607927177.jpg (1024x504, 41K)

i played d3 with the necro and i was like 'woah this is fun' but i had a creeping suspicion the more i played. i went back and installed d2, made a necromancer and i haven't played d3 since. the only thing that makes d3 seem good is the distance between it and d2. once you play them side by side there's no hiding just how poor an offering it is.

Never could get into any of these top-down dungeon crawlers. Everytime I check one out they play the same.

>There are a variety of abilities, but instead of weaving them together you only boost one and use that 99% of the time with the other 1% being the "oh shit save me" button
>Game tries to make you feel powerful by making you mow down 10 enemies at once for every encounter in the entire game. However since they do this all the time you never feel that sense of accomplishment of taking multiple enemies on. You never fight a singular strong opponent (even with bosses since they always summon trash minions cause some builds cannot work without them).
>Bosses are just scenarios of avoiding getting one shot.
>Only way the game can make things difficult is to make everything take most if not all your health. This means that dodging via gookclick is the only real challenge. No need for planning or strategy - just memorize the giant circle telegraphs for the big bad AOE.
>normal enemies are boiled down to a singular gimmick instead of having a variety of abilities and attributes
>melee builds are always fucked cause of the aforementioned issue of dodging being the only viable defence.

Torchlight 1 and 2
Diablo
Path of Exile

They are all literally the same game. It really says something when playing an MMO and sitting there fighting 1 or 2 mobs feels more engaging than mindlessly grinding through waves of very weak enemies

It's alright, better with mods (so get it on PC). Some class mods can be pretty fun. By itself, lackluster compared to PoE, Grim Dawn and Victor Vran.

I thought d3 was horrishit. What got me the most was how horrid endgame was, repetive and dull, and how builds were so class set dependent. Was diablo 2 like this?

it's ok
first game is better

>Torchlight 2
It's really bad. It's a game for people that think even Diablo 3 is too complex. Think about it, every friend you know who recomends torchlight is an idiot right? Thought so.

Attached: octopus2.webm (960x540, 2.91M)

Path of Exile is finely crafted net for autists, whales, nolifes, bots, Russian&Brazilian scammers, and people that can dedicate their life to a fucking neverending grindfest with a billion paywalls infused into core mechanics.

It's pretty dope, but overall- waste of time and nightmare.
MMO arpg hns- not even once.

Attached: 1504670123007.jpg (1024x730, 97K)

Diablo 2 had an infinitely higher skill ceiling for pvp and more variety in what you could use. Some would argue the expansion and especially the later rune updates kinda homogenized the gear game, and they're not wrong, but it was still fun as fuck.

That said, the game is kinda ruined now thanks to bots, dupes, maphack and duel cheats.

>try diablo 3 again after years
>new season is just them attempting to copy POE leagues but very poorly
>takes me 30 minutes to get to max level due to adventure mode
>game just gives me a full set for free
>hitting monsters literally for 500 billion damage
>run through the same not even randomly generated maps fighting arbitrarily scaled enemies in GRs forever
>this is considered the end game content

look what they did to my boy

Attached: 1565784804328.jpg (1024x768, 194K)

>game just gives me a full set for free
>hitting monsters literally for 500 billion damage
So did you turn the difficulty up? You're supposed to constantly turn up the difficulty as you get better and better gear so that you drop rates improve.

Also you don't get endgame gear until you beat greater rift 70 and unlock primal ancients.

Attached: ca2.jpg (489x750, 69K)

do you think i'm retarded? i literally described the mechanic in my post

Then why complain about doing high damage?

Attached: 1567243758200.jpg (184x184, 6K)

What isnt wrong with diablo 3? is a better structured question fren.
It would save the person answering you time.

Sounds like you're just trying to dodge the question.

Honestly I am because im to lazy to explain the metric ton of bad I have to list off.
So no thanks chief ask someone else, for me its as easy as not playing it.
>TLDR its almost as bad as a mobile clicker/afk arpg
There fucky digest what you want outta that.

Well if you can't defend your opinion then it's not really worth considering.
Go take a nap, lazy bones.

>implying mine or your opinion matters on an anonymous forum on the internet to begin with

>way too fucking long (per zone)
>boring
>visual soup
>decent itemization
>all any enemy does is run at you and die
>cool "puzzle" rooms and some bosses

There is no end to the glowing reviews of TL2 across the entire Internet, and how it's a spiritual successor to D2

Unfortunately it looked and played like a phone game, my friend and I stopped at Act 3

If opinions don't matter then why even post in the first place?

>paid reviews
Ftfy fren

Do the console versions have online play?

Same reason you do
Cuz you can and you will and you do.

So are you saying that if I stop posting then literally everyone else on Yea Forums will stop posting as well?

If you happen to be tranny, you'll love it.

You didn't get to max level in 30 mins.

yes i di

yeah its good

Who still fucking plays PoE? It's the same all the time. I played it for a while, but shit man, enough with that crap.

Game looks fun but I wish they'd fix the controls to something like League of Legends. constantly having to click EVERY FUCKING ENEMY ON SCREEN IS SO FUCKIN ANNOYING. Why can't my character auto attack anything near it? Or attack near cursor command?! So fucking bullshit and annoying.

>only 4 classes
>way above Diablo 2
LUL
nice bait

How the fuck did Torchlight 3 fly under my radar for a whole fucking year?

You are supposed to spam specials that clear the whole screen.

Looks like micro-transaction storm is rolling over from the horizon tho.

Attached: 597b0b02e2af8806d552f4e171eaf0e91549651592.jpg (1000x518, 281K)

TL2 was pretty fun but it needed an expansion to give it more longevity, but the PC version has a good modding community. Grim Dawn is my jam atm.

You can tell how underage someone is by how much better they think Torchlight 2 is to Diablo 3. Objectivity is a thing people learn later on in life.

>Casualty: the game
Its literally hard to die, there are zero penalties of any kind, everything is designed to be as easy and comfortable as possible and it's like the devs were legit afraid to create any form of challenge. Did I mention you can reset skill tree whenever and send your dog to sell equipment and buy options for you, so you won't have to, god forbid, actually trade yourself?

After a point it just feels like playing Idle Games where you hold a button down and watch numbers on the screen fly up, except you never really hit the damage numbers that idle clickers get to.

I played on of the alphas months back it was rough

It's worth playing but is not very well balanced. Lots of skills are bugged or useless.

It's called Diablo 3.

Torchlight 1 is better.

>After a point it just feels like playing Idle Games where you hold a button down and watch numbers on the screen fly up
And that's why you turn up the difficulty. So that the enemies have more hp and deal more damage. As you get stronger you need to raise the difficulty higher in order to give yourself a challenge and have better chances at higher tier loot for progression.

Attached: 1560444430351.jpg (500x500, 81K)

This is false

Name anything the first one did better

Isnt the octopus considered fairly smart for an animal? Would we be okay seeing someone just munching on live puppied?

Its the most boring and generic arpg ever made.
Its actually amazing how bad and forgettable it is.
I bet nobody in this thread can name 3 plot points in this game. Nothing in the game is memorable whether it be the lore, the world, the characters or the gameplay.
its like the game doesn't even exist in reality.

Attached: touhodsuancneufd.gif (326x274, 1.98M)

No you di

Even on maximum difficulty it's all just the same. The illusion of challenge comes from adding extra digits, but it's not like there's any fundamental difference to the gameplay and the loot mechanic is just a treadmill. After a while the concept of making a macro to play the game felt more challenging than actually playing the game.

And that's for people who played on the better version too. Having played both console and PC, I feel for the people who had to put up with doing the same grind on console. Hamster wheel simulator.

this had no desire to even bother playing through this snorefest

Path of Exile > Diablo 2 >> Grim Dawn > Diablo 3 > Torchlight > Diablo > Torchlight 2 >>>>>> Torchlight 3

Did anybody else take fucking 10 years to beat the final boss in torchlight one? I didn't think I failed my spec or gear or anything but I recall attacking that motherfucker for like 50 minutes straight before he finally died.
To this day I have no idea if I was missing some gimmick or mechanic or just was massively underleveled or some shit.
What the fuck was that

FATE was better than both torchlights. Fate should be on your list instead of them lmao

you forgot dungeon siege you monkeys uncle

>Even on maximum difficulty it's all just the same
There actually is no hard cap on greater rifts. You can fight enemies stronger than those found on torment 16. Though I doubt you ever got to torment 16.
> The illusion of challenge comes from adding extra digits, but it's not like there's any fundamental difference to the gameplay and the loot mechanic is just a treadmill
That's literally how all ARPGS work. You're constantly gearing and getting stronger till you can reach your maximum potential for your build. Just because Diablo 3 uses billions instead of thousands for damage numbers doesn't mean it's not all relatively the same. The number used to define the exact amount of damage you're dealing doesn't matter, all that matters is if you can kill the strongest things at your level or not.

Attached: 1567652894697.jpg (300x300, 11K)

>I bet nobody in this thread can name 3 plot points in this game
The Alchemist from the last game turned evil.
They use magical gems called Embers to power their world.
Uhh, Jackie Chan?

Everyone is comparing it to Diablo but it's literally supposed to be the babby's first dungeon crawler
Torchlight 1 is fun but it helped me discover the genre isn't really for me
I might come back to it later, I did find a nice staff and wanted to try it out along with this weird fish thing for my pet

everything you brought up was the plot of torch one not tl2.

I'm aware that's how all ARPGs work, I didn't say that any other ARPG was any better. My whole point was that it got repetitive, the "challenge" was a hamster wheel, and the "loot" was just reskins with bigger numbers, and by Torment 2 it was painfully obvious that it wasn't going to get any better. Even back in the day before GRifts was a thing it was already painfully obvious.

Is it that hard to accept that D3 doesn't appeal to some people because they don't feel like dumping in hours running the grind?

Modding is the only saving grace for Torchlight since it removes all pretense of being a serious ARPG and just lets you screw around however you want.

Any good ones?

>Even back in the day before GRifts was a thing it was already painfully obvious
You mean the days when diablo 3 was a shit game? Yea it wasn't worth playing, they didn't have any real gameplay altering gear. But that was the past and we live in the present. I get that initial impressions are important and all but if you can't accept that something has changed then what's the point of changing for the better in the first place?
The only negative thing I can think about diablo 3 now is that by buying it you're giving money to blizzard.
>Is it that hard to accept that D3 doesn't appeal to some people
I can accept that, not all games are for everyone. There is a challenge to be had with the game if you put in the time, but if you don't then that's fine. But can you accept that some people might enjoy the game? Can you also accept that your complaint about "billions of damage" was kinda ignorant since as I said before that damage is all relative to each games. After all a seasonal set of armor easily jumps you up to torment 10 and you settled on torment 2.
>I didn't say that any other ARPG was any better
>some people because they don't feel like dumping in hours running the grind?
All ARPGs are about grinding. If you don't like grinding then you shouldn't be playing ARPGs, and you also shouldn't be posting in a thread about ARPGs. Go talk about games you like instead of ones you hate.

Attached: 1562063509002.png (750x750, 233K)

>you also shouldn't be posting in a thread about ARPGs
This is a thread about Torchlight, not D3. You're free to start a thread about D3 if you want.

And to talk about torchlight people are naturally going to compare it to other games. Is everyone that brought up other ARPGs in this thread in the wrong too? If so then you should take it up with them first since I'm only responding to people that brought up D3.

Attached: 1565884894590.jpg (637x637, 34K)

I played Torchlight 1 and it was just monotonous and horrifically boring. And kind of ugly, I don't like the art at all.
And apparently that was the exciting one. That one is a well paced machine compared to 2's plodding mess. I feel fear looking at Torchlight 2 and the idea of playing it.

You're better off playing the game once to see if you like it at all, and from there decide if you feel like adding the nonsensical parts like Jedis and whatnot or if you prefer the ARPG-lite part of the gameplay and focus on mods that extend that like infinite dungeons, loot pools, class overhauls, etc.

Torchlight doesn't compare well to any of the mentioned ARPGs, and other posters have already pointed this out. It's basically a standard RPG with minimal grind, a barebones self insert story, a "loot pool" that's somewhere in between classic RPGs and roguelike loot pools, and basic RPG mechanics. You might as well be comparing it to Baldur's Gate and it would be a better comparison than Diablo. Just because the devs tried to market it as a Diablo wannabe does not make it one.

Torchlight 2, what the OP was asking about, is even closer to a early stage Baldur's Gate/Pillars of Eternity than Diablo, especially given how vanilla Torchlight 2 has basically shit all when it comes to loot, and grinding is absolutely unnecessary.

All I can say is that it's fucking boring and the art style is absolute shit. Play Diablo 2, Grim Dawn, even nu-PoE is still better.

It's so boring/bad that I played a few years ago and fucking forgot everything about it.
Just play PoE or something if you need an ARPG.

Attached: deep concern.png (293x323, 168K)

That still doesn't answer my question. Are the other posters in the wrong for bringing up other ARPGs or not? Because if so then you should be bitching to them and not me for defending D3 when it was brought up by other people.

Attached: 1565570079571.jpg (214x236, 13K)

>Ctrl+F "boring"
>13 matches
Yep. About as many posters saying that it looks like dog shit too.

They're not wrong. You are, because you keep trying to hijack this thread to make it all about you, and how you have to be right or wrong as if OP is hosting a debate and you have to score enough points to win the grand prize.

this is pretty accurate
the mechanics are fine, it's just such a bring experience though

Diablo 3 is unironically a good casual game that knows it's a casual game and doesn't try to be anything more unlike other ARPGs

Torchlight 1 is better than Torchlight 2.

The second one was only bearable with mods, the default classes are weak and uninspired.
It has a few nice moments and a mapping system at the end if for some reason you'd like more.

Torchlight 1 is simple yet fun and the classes have a few fun abilities at least.

If you're looking for an ARPG you're better off playing Belzebub (Diablo 1 mod improving the base game significantly without deforming its core) or Path of Diablo (Same as Belzebub, just for D2). Then maybe Titan Quest if you're tired of the Diablo franchase - also pretty basic, but can be fun due to its unique setting. Sacred 1 is dated and feels clunky, but has a massive world and retains some charm. Nox if you love multiplayer. Haven't played Grim Dawn. I don't recommend Diablo 3 unless you're playing with friends. It's superbad if played alone and both the early and endgame are badly balanced - one is atrociously slow and the other is a spazfest of trying not to get 1 shotted whilst wearing down supertanky mobs. The monk class in D3 is pretty fun and well designed, though.

Pick your poison.

Didn't grab me. But then, I'm not looking for a casual game on console or PC. If I'm going to the trouble to boot it up, I'm probably not looking for something to switch off with.
That's what mobile games are both for and decidedly terrible at.

Play Grim Dawn, fag.

>Haven't played Grim Dawn
Grim Dawn is just more Titan Quest, I swear they play exactly the same.

Although Titan Quest was carried by being able to talk to random farmers about random facts about Greece or Egypt. It was half arpg, half Horrible Histories.
Grim Dawn has the Inquisitor's diary and a bunch of boring assholes who don't quite live up to the ominous malevolent streak you think you're getting from the intro.

Still, it's fine.

Attached: 51TAiuTwdcL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (326x499, 41K)

No, Torchlight is literally the definition of the casual game. The reason why it's boring is because it is the most casual and generic RPG experience you can get, with the skeleton "save the mcguffin fetch quest" structure and the usual RPG toolkit locked in. D3 tries too hard to be considered a casual game.

The whole appeal of Torchlight, even if the devs didn't intend for it, is that you can somehow pick up the game and complete it in no time at all. There's basically zero grind to it other than tolerating how barebones it is.

It's boring. It tries to be good, it throws you a lot of loot, you can see there was effort put into the world and maps... but it just doesn't click for some reason. It also has 0 replay value. But it lacks depth and there's little to look forward to while you go through maps. The cartoony graphics also don't help.
It's good for a single playthrough.

You're the one making it about me, though. People brought up their opinions on a game and I gave my opinion. Nothing wrong with that, right? That's how discussions work.
But you're the one that's saying I can't have my opinion and defend a game a like and others are allowed to shit talk it freely.

If you disagree and don't want the thread to be about me then you can just stop replying and we can drop it.

Not exactly related but: how do I make a build in grim dawn?
The skill tree seems so wack and idk whether I should just put points into raw stats or just pick a skill and sink points into that. At the same time I dunno if I should have a billion or just focus on one and that's it.
Basically I'm a retard pls explain the skill system to me

Attached: fucked thinking.gif (326x326, 211K)

Use an item skill early on and put all points into stat gains and passives. When you get enough energy regen and skill points, respec to max out an attack skill you like.

So just ignore everything but passives and stat gains?
That seems really weird but ok. Are there any good beginner builds/class combos or whatever? That part fucks me up too, having 2 classes to choose shit from I mean.

Titan quest was pretty good. I liked the fact that it had a handcrafted world instead of procedural generation, some of the locations look really nice. Skills were all quite boring though and I was steamrolling the game with pretty much just basic attacks.