Was it peak RTS?

Was it peak RTS?

Attached: 792-age-of-empires-ii-the-age-of-kings-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x965, 188K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8jp5PlHRlpo
youtube.com/watch?v=1JoZkahjO1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=zriYlA7o3sc
moddb.com/mods/cc-shockwave/downloads
moddb.com/mods/cc-shockwave/addons/shockwave-sinpleplayer-experience
youtube.com/watch?v=9MmavaV1-2o
youtube.com/watch?v=PJvPyH8WnMw
youtube.com/watch?v=ACQwFQYD4sI
youtube.com/watch?v=FH6IuxzgpT4
youtu.be/zKOt_iRaa8s
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGVjiUKVQd701TTtOEoHFmUwMKflvnPmB
youtube.com/user/SamuraiRevolution/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=cdiexmHOy24
youtube.com/watch?v=ZfMX1fz8l7s
youtu.be/hdQmBk37BfI
youtube.com/watch?v=xhHfiAy0bWk
youtube.com/watch?v=WBOD8qeCBuc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes.

yes

Its the best game ever made.

Yes and always will be

Literally cannot be topped.

Unironically the best and most finely tuned rts, best competitive. You can play other for comfort if you want.

No you homo, red alert 2 was.

It killed genre

Why do people larp this one so fucking much
Where's the love for AoM and AoE3?
inb4 >AoE3

AoE2 is superior tho.

AOE II laid the definitive groundwork for its succeeding games.

Absolutely. I keep coming back to it and replaying the campaigns over and over again.

Yes, in fact it was so good that it killed the entire genre since no one could top it.

A lot of AOE 3's maps weren't my favorite. AOM doesn't let me change my player color and it was also lacking in the map variety.

rly? I thought StarCraft killed the genre.

No, Original War was.

Pic related was.

Attached: ron.jpg (600x600, 89K)

No and fuck anyone saying yes. The game had horrible balance. AOM was much better.

My girlfriend loves that game, she plays 2-3 hours every single day

Now that's a good idea
Now that's a good idea
Well now, let's see

You are now reminded of the home city mechanic

Lmao fuck no. Did you ever play this thing in multi-player?
Also the buildings were horrible and balance was up the ass. The expansion making the US the best nation in the game didn't help either.

WOLOLOLOLO

You are completely fucking insane if you think aom has better balance than aoe2

>the italian dub being a mix between incredibly professional work and pure unfiltered hilarious shittiness
God i love this game.

>Laughs in Jar Jar

Attached: AgeofGalaxies.jpg (800x627, 141K)

RTS fans:
>AoE2 is perfect and can never be topped! Death to those who insult it!!!
>Why is our genre dead bros? Why are there no new RTS games...

uuuh retard? everyone acknowledges that AoE2 was literal perfection and made everything before and after it feel mediocre by comparison. I fail to see the cognitive dissonance here.

Don't you have a C&C clone to lap up

>AoE2 is perfect and can never be topped!
Because it is, you stupid skank, its literally why the genre dead.
Why making other games when you literally made the apex of RTS mechanics.

AOE has a bunch of civilizations that are literally useless and most multi-player matches just boiled down to rushing gold production to starve the enemy of gold and then rush their city

>Lmao fuck no. Did you ever play this thing in multi-player?
>Also the buildings were horrible and balance was up the ass.
This is what's wrong with the RTS community. Pearl-clutching over some impossible standard of balance and vague complaints that have little meaning.

For me? it's AC.

Attached: screen126.jpg (2560x1440, 2.72M)

For me, its Dune

Attached: Command&Sandworm.jpg (1600x1073, 378K)

AoE2 is peak rts and also one of the best games of all time.

It’s like the American football of the video game world. The Meta is constantly evolving which keeps the game interestering even 20 years since release. It’s a perfectly crafted game.

>The expansion making the US the best nation in the game didn't help either
Well it is the best nation in real life.
So extra points for realism.

AoE 3 is maximum comfy, there's just something about those mid 2000s graphics. It's my go to chillout game

Probably one of the few games here we can all agree it's the best of it's genre.

AoM has smaller maps

pic related when

Attached: barabba.jpg (1280x720, 131K)

>Where's the love for AoM and AoE3
They are very chill, but AoE 2 is better in every regard except comfy

I thought Russia was the best? Attrition bonuses from the start and that one wonder.

>Not one mention of Empire Earth
despicable!

I love Empire Earth, but AoE2 is objectively unbeatable.

Daily reminder that Britons, Byzantines and Teutons are noob bait civ
Also huns, but for opposite reasons funny enough

>not going full Celts

>esports
eat a dick

Oddly enough it is my favorite civ
Scrubs dont know how to handle Celtic MAA Trushes, or having Woad Raiders surrounding whole stacks of crossbowmen

I'd respect more Hun players if there were not 1 trick ponies

Minus the addon though.
Compared to vanilla it felt tacked on and half done. I don't know what they were thinking.
And fuck airplanes, micromanaging that shit was frustrating.

Dawn of War 1 was my fav. I could never get into AoE.

yes but competitively siege units ruin the game

Attached: aomx 2019-09-04 15-40-15-89.jpg (1600x1200, 372K)

It's the only FUN RTS.

some reasons:
>random generated maps, each map is a new experience every time
>extremely comfy to just chop wood and relax
>can also be extremely fast paced and fine-tuned to a razor edge
>lots of factions but none that work COMPLETELY differently encourage players to try all of them
>memorable soundbites ROGAN

>be huge fan of Supreme Commander
>people tell me that it's inferior to Total Annihilation
>try and play it
>can't stomach the UI or gameplay

I'm so sorry bros. Sup Com just ruined me with all of its QOL elements. I took them for granted.

Attached: 600.jpg (500x320, 29K)

>make games on voobly for noobs/beginners
>smurfs join to get their free wins
how am i supposed to learn

Attached: 1565308672675.jpg (250x241, 7K)

no, this was

Attached: 19153-command-conquer-generals-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x1128, 192K)

How new you're?
Did you your homework?
Have you practiced vs AIs?
Have you practiced vs harder AIs?
If Voobly doesnt work, try HD, while they are less numerous, the HD playerbase is slightly more casual and laidback

Zero Hour

Attached: 1324785026001.jpg (400x388, 18K)

It was close, but it wasn't the best

Attached: Impossible_Creatures_cover.jpg (256x363, 30K)

Yes. Anyone who says Starcraft is better is a shitter.

Yes. That and Starcraft. The only way to advance the genre was to go in different directions like CoH and Natural Selection did.

Attached: 1560919330921.png (738x499, 394K)

AOEII
Company of Heroes (first one)
Shogun 2
These are my favorites. I'm not a huge RTS player but these are the ones I like the most.

Attached: shogun2awesomeness.jpg (1366x768, 292K)

I'm gonna reinstall right now.

i'm a plat/diamond zerg sc2 player. i have decent mechanics but im an aom/aoe2 noob. i played vs the ai on hard and it was fairly easy. but vs humans i always lose

been focusing on aom. right now watching some matches on youtube. there are 2-3 youtubers that upload some matches daily. thats nice

t. 8 rax reaper in wol diamond

definitive edition looks like shit

Attached: 1566769794520.png (1366x768, 1.25M)

>but vs humans i always lose
How do you lose?
I'm fairly certain your APM and mechanic skills are on point, I'm assuming it's the strategy and tactics standpoints you're struggling the most.

How do you often lose?

> 20 year old game is more popular than any other RTS on the market
What went so right?

personally looking forward to replaying all campaigns on hard, heard there are new civs and new campaigns, also that they remade the campaigns so you can probably have over 75 pop

you got memed
TA was great but SC is that but better

Picrelated is peak RTS
Pretty sad that this series is not popular as typical APM simulators

Attached: 13214364756.jpg (616x353, 38K)

The only one that's ever grabbed me. I put ENDLESS hours into it over the years (shame it doesn't run on any modern computers).

Age of Mythology was better

Pretty damn fun
Still requires a very high apm if you want to be good. Why can you people not understand that it's a good thing to have a high apm game?

>game about combining animals to make interesting and unique units to fight with
>play online
>everyone uses the same ~20 or so units

why? you might as well just play a regular rts game at that point

Attached: D4m-hCMUIAAoOH6.jpg (1009x682, 148K)

Not even peak in its own series.

COH is the purest distillation of the RTS genre.

Attached: coh.jpg (616x353, 41K)

i have 1 win and 4 losses in 1v1 on voobly and 4 losses on aom EE. and 4 losses in 3v3s. i lose when it comes to the mid game. i always go for upgrades but they'll eventually surpass me on score by a good margin when they reach 1600 points. i need to work on my timings (i only know the timings till you reach classical age) and focus on a single civ/deity.

i like playing defensive zerg with muta harass and complete map control/vision. whats the closest to that in aom?

yes

I only played AoE2 and I'm not an expert at AoM, also never played SC2.

>i like playing defensive zerg with muta harass and complete map control/vision. whats the closest to that in aom?
Dont have anything for AoM, but I can tell you can do something somewhat similar on AoE2

I'd say even peak video games
Shame about the Definitive edition being Win10 exclusive, though by the looks of it it's done by the same people who made AoE:DE into a boring drab mess of brown with weak tinny sound effects.

and what would that be? are you a voobly pro?

i wonder how the community will be after the release of aoe2 DE. how much of the steady 10k of aoe2 hd will migrate etc

I don't hate high APM rts honestly. Just need some attention. They're kinda classic formula. But in same time some series tried to do something new and now they're ded

Attached: 576575786876.jpg (1000x500, 164K)

No but I have +4000 hours on HD, something on Voobly doesnt really hits me on the right place.

Mongols, Huns and Magyars.
Try doing a 21-23 villagers Fast Feudal and rush Scouts as soon as possible, harass non stop while you spam farms.
Once you're around 30-40 villagers, get to castle, make a second stable and do a small group of knights to harass and/or kill archers
Then switch to Cavalry Archers and harass everywhere

confess, v, why are you not playing the best rts right now?

Attached: Hunted_Animals_First.jpg (250x157, 11K)

Because college and work and life happened and my friend group kinda slowed down into a Stand By and we dont have enough time to play together and I'm not playing boring 1vs1s and I have done all campaigns and I'm above playing vs AI

That's StarCraft.

>ao3

>Was
Is.

For now, yes.

Attached: feudal_wars.jpg (1280x720, 284K)

Name a better match

youtube.com/watch?v=8jp5PlHRlpo

Negative.

Attached: 124282-supreme-commander-forged-alliance-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x1108, 189K)

>release teaser for AoEIV
>two years has passed
>no new trailer
>no news
This is truly some Super Bullshit 64

motherfuckers probably only have like two villagers on that shit

The best ones are either Warcraft or Starcraft.

Do you guys have hope for AoEIV?

Rise of Nations is peak RTS just because it's too fucking crazy for human beings to handle.

I'm making a shitty RTS on Unity just to force myself to code something so I can eventually git gud at it. My question is regarding balance, would you people prefer a balanced homogenized game or a fucking mess with lots of variety?

Is hard to say. Is either going to be really good or really forgettable
you now remember age of empires online

The latter.

Square based movement, 2D, generic models? Nope. People only like it because of nostalgia. Age of Mythology is absolutely superior in every way: Actual 3D environment, unique models (changes with EVERY blacksmith upgrade), very well balanced, every game is different.

> fucking mess with lots of variety
this because making a balanced game is reaaaaaally hard. Players always find a way

no fucking way, empire earth is peak you fucking idiots.

Post god tier tracks.
youtube.com/watch?v=1JoZkahjO1Q

Attached: JustRightWario.gif (560x582, 45K)

>People only like it because of nostalgia.
we're reaching new heights of terrible opinions.

>tfw still feudal age and everyone is in castle and angry at you
youtube.com/watch?v=zriYlA7o3sc

no fucking way are you all retarded, empire earth shits on aoe in every single aspect.

how so.

Reminder to download Shockwave and get the singleplayer addon.
moddb.com/mods/cc-shockwave/downloads
moddb.com/mods/cc-shockwave/addons/shockwave-sinpleplayer-experience

Attached: Devestator.jpg (620x465, 53K)

first shit c&c, this one started the downfall of c&c. rush gameplay all day. fuck you bro.

If I had to choose one it would be Starcraft 1. But AoE2 would be really close.

youtube.com/watch?v=9MmavaV1-2o
youtube.com/watch?v=PJvPyH8WnMw
youtube.com/watch?v=ACQwFQYD4sI
youtube.com/watch?v=FH6IuxzgpT4

Attached: kohan.jpg (800x960, 141K)

And by that, you mean Brood War.

Ao3 was comfy and I did like being able to produce infinite resources by late game so you don't have to rely on trash units, but overall Ao2 was superior.

because it just takes time, base building is not even compareable, everything is way more detailed and you have an insane amount of options how to play and what to research and what to use in what situation. the two games are not even compareable to be honest.
its the same like comparing MW2 to BF3, its just way more content.

im not trying to be contrarian, but i really enjoyed aoe3, possibly even more than 2, and 2 holds a lot of nostalgia for me. what is it about 3 that every one hates?

Attached: 1557835986076.jpg (509x501, 115K)

Would always play against the third world shitters on gameranger with this. Would always host CBA Heroes games. I'd love dragging a game out for 2 hours then kicking one of the Pajeets so I insta win. I'd go back to the lobby and get a tirade of poo in loo Engrish over the chat. Good times.

MW2 is superior tho.

hold up
vikings were black
pls fix this historically inaccurate box art

Attached: 1359433691401.jpg (640x480, 30K)

>Age of Mythology
Broken attack move.

Based.

>Why do people larp this one so fucking much
You keep saying that word

for me, it's Impossible Creatures

Attached: 324680_screenshots_2015-10-30_00003.jpg (1920x1080, 273K)

how do i git gud at AoE2 lads? obviously with practice, but is there some sort of metagame strategy i should know about?

Swastika farms for maximum efficiency.

gitting gud at AoE2 takes all the fun away desu. you're just going to turn into a minmaxing automaton

Attached: 1510660223947.jpg (1200x900, 220K)

Do your homework, know the civs, know the units, know the maps.
Watch spirit of the law, is a great start.
Besides practicing of course.

Spoken like a player that cannot play or think outside a cookie cutter build or meta.
Cease.

Because AoM and AoE3 are shit?

Attached: 324680_screenshots_20190430045909_1.jpg (1920x1080, 277K)

Attached: updatedCringe.png (500x495, 468K)

Attached: 173BE3C5ED442F1B457128F526DD3E46BDF4B4E6.jpg (1366x768, 179K)

it's not 2

Go slowly, practice in singleplayer, know the civs bonuses, strengths and disadvantages. Also try to watch pro players and tournaments, many of them stream and there are some dedicated casters for the tournaments

does the game still slow down in late game multiplayer? generals would have been the shit it there wasn't for 3fps after half an hour that made me sick.
by the way, yes, aoe 2 is gold,

Don't start with spirit of the law
He's entertaining but 99% of his videos are essentially bullshit looking at contrived cases while ignoring/hand waving the massive amount of variables present.

>That one RTS no one but you played
What's her name, Yea Forums?

Attached: 2869-dungeon-keeper-dos-front-cover.jpg (784x944, 164K)

For example?

outlive

Im sorry but the shipment system literally enables the cheesiest shit ever seen in RTS, and not the fun type.

give some examples

C&C3 will learn you basebuilding

How's AoE2 2013 on steam?

The most recent video following his typical format:
youtu.be/zKOt_iRaa8s
Most of his videos are like this and are things like top 5 X and worst 5 Y. He attempts to weigh things on an arbitrary scale that abstracts away almost all the variables present in the game. To watch a video like this and not be misled requires you to have a pretty good understanding of the game already. Otherwise you will get pigeonholed into making choices that are good in the general case but not the case of your specific game.

His other formats are looking into vague or not well understood game mechanics and general aoe2 news and there's nothing wrong with those. Recently he's had some pros come on and talk to share their perspectives as well. He's not the best player himself.

By definition an EA LA C&C cant possibly be the best RTS ever, even if they were fucking legends for actually delivering decent games with EA breathing down their necks.

With that said Zero Hour is the most entertaining but Tiberium Wars was objectively the most featured and highest quality C&C ever made. Red Alert 3 was also very fun but not up to par compared to the other 2.

ever since DoW3 happened, I do not have faith relic will not shit the bed with AoE4

>larp
That's not what that word means.

Homeworld, Company of Heroes, and Total Annihilation were all better.

Total Annihilation was just a beta test for Supreme Commander, though.

it's up there
i liked total annihilation more for single player and compstomp but aoe2 was better for actual like 3v3, 4v4 games.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGVjiUKVQd701TTtOEoHFmUwMKflvnPmB
Here you go my dude
Some of these guys are obviously grandmaster autists and some are just bored, most of them are top 50 on Voobly and definitely all of them have more skill and creativity than you.

Total Annihilation is in almost every aspect a better game.

Total Annihilation Kingdoms.

based spiceposter

based

it's very alive. usually has around 10k ppl playing it

>finally install HD
>hyped to try out the Rajas civs because I like the SEA aesthetic
>all of the civs save for the Burmese are gimmicky garbage

Attached: 4.jpg (135x135, 18K)

>Total Annihilation is in almost every aspect a worse game.
ftfy

Not him, but supcom is actually vastly inferior to TA in almost all ways except for tactical zoom and having to run on a pc from '97 vs '07.
TA: ESC is much better than SupCom:FA and I say that as a huge fan of forged alliance.
I play Escalation literally every weekend and there are always matches.

I'd say join the >discord
but...
just look up the total annihilation escalation mod and give it a shot.
although C&C3 was objectively the most feature filled C&C it plays more like starcraft or generals than tiberian sun or dawn or ra1/2... I feel like it was a missed opportunity for true greatness, and SC2 / DoWII's hype kinda killed C&C3, sadly, despite it being a fantastic game. I feel like soon, people will appreciate it more, as it may have been the last of its kind.
we've had tons of 'obscure rts threads' but i'll just say The Tone Rebellion and Dominion: Storm Over Gift 3 and RoboRumble.

k

Basado y rojoencapsulado.
Scout early and often.
Card system.

It's the only one I've ever been able to get into. So yes

t. shitter that doesn't actually know how to play
You can do something as simple as a scout rush and kill an enemy by starving them of wood and then just keeping them busy not being able to farm or get any resource while you get a proper army set up. Same shit can be done with fucking towers even

never played this one. i will try it.
you should try twisted insurrection, the tiberian sun mod.its really good campaign.
i respect that but politely disagree. it is like a 9.5/10 though.
aoe online could've been so good if it wasnt held back by f2p bullshit.

What did the Aztecs and Teutons have that was special?

It's been too long bros, all i remember are Jaguar warriors and Teutonic knights.

aoe2 is the best for comfy base building but it's also the best for competitive games

how did they pull that off?

That isnt dawn of war

>the best for comfy base building

Attached: 403985-firefly-studios-stronghold-crusader-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x1131, 282K)

rise of nations / rise of nations are pretty fun.
These are real time tactics games, not strategy games.

KKND2

Attached: 4a5fab74e2540357238de34378d8a87629ae3dead38e886856291b0f679a6b6d_product_card_screenshot_600.jpg (599x450, 156K)

Its good, but too realistic
I need magic or space

Americans are strong no matter the age due to the bonus resources you get from having army units. Makes it easier to snowball as everyone else needs to balance economy and army but you don't give a fuck.

Russians have problems early on, albeit mitigated by attrition bonus and cavalry having a bonus against siege (so you can hit supply wagons and cripple the enemies army). Late game Modern/Information era Russians are the best faction in the game. Good special units, bonuses to oil and their attrition bonus goes from annoying to game winning, especially if you stack the attrition bonuses from world wonders.

Aztecs have intense infantry buffs and superpowered monks, kinda average archers, no cavalry and terrible navy
Teutons are a (very) slowly advancing wall of doom with great booming potential, conversion resistance, excellent defences but lackluster archers

Get the actual fuck out

youtube.com/user/SamuraiRevolution/videos
Cant find them right now but i know this guy has them
Also its mainly stuff like pic related, strong units for free or super cost efficient trades out of nowhere, might not seem like much but then people start making strategies around getting shit like this as fast possible and basically worming their way into strong presence without having to actually do proper macro or map control or anything that requires skill besides autistic minmaxing.

Attached: InkedAnotação 2019-09-05 173846_LI_Moment.jpg (592x168, 23K)

based

1 is better

Im sorry but it absolutely didnt play anything like SC.
Neither did any C&C game ever for that matter.

my brother

based peak rtt

Attached: bPapTtj.jpg (1043x781, 87K)

No peak AOE RTS type of game ether goes to cossacks or empire earth.

Attached: main-qimg-594192b3aeffc61cd60db14006a7b84b.png (602x752, 568K)

since were on the topic of aoe2. can someone make a lobby so i can shit on you niggas

>game of thrones
>terrible opinion
checks out

Name a better RTS campaign.

Attached: 448849-company-of-heroes-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x1138, 192K)

>Red Dragon
Red Dragon is ass compared to based European Escalator, or even OffBrand Cattle. Adding super-long ranged artillery that can delete critical units with pinpoint precision was the death of the strategical aspect of the game, turning it into a race of "who can get concealed vision of the enemy's spawn first".

Attached: 1323028764592.jpg (680x709, 66K)

in terms of competitive sc2 is the best rts

Boring Hollywood movie.

>never moved past AOE
>tries to shame peak form king type

You can go and make yourself basedfrape now

I was memed into buying this terrible fucking mess. Every single new patch they push completely breaks all singleplayer savegames, and the multiplayer is dead as fuck because the game itself is trash compared to Red Dragon.

Attached: 20190623183010_1.jpg (1920x1080, 705K)

Hundred Swords

>Microsoft now has a studio wholly devoted to the Age of Empires series, and is currently working on remastered 'definitive' editions of Age of Empires 2 and 3. Meanwhile, Relic Entertainment is busy creating Age of Empires 4. And now it sounds as though Microsoft may have plans to revive Empires' more fantastical spin-off, Age of Mythology.

Speaking to Eurogamer at E3, Age of Empires creative director Adam Isgreen hinted that Age of Mythology was something the team may be returning to once they've gotten the definitive editions are finished.

"It's great to see how much love there is for Age of Mythology, 'cause I love it too," he said. "It's more of a… less accurate history. It's super loose, people just have fun, and I love that too."

"After we get through the definitive editions for the three here, and [Age of Empires 4] is kind of rolling, then we're going to look back and see what we can do with Myth," Isgreen went on. "Because I love Myth, we're not going to leave it behind, we'll figure out what to do with it then."

Isgreen was noncommittal on what exactly he has in mind for Age of Mythology, although another definitive edition seems most likely. However, Age of Mythology: Extended Edition came out in 2014, and another remaster of the 2002 original might be a little underwhelming.

Isgreen said his team is planning a new patch for Age of Mythology: Extended Edition "really soon," which will fix some exploits and address various player concerns.

think it would be better if they released good expansions. what mythologies would you like to see?

Isn't zero k a better total annihilation?

AoM2 when?

You called?

Attached: 824237-932462_game_20070918_001.jpg (1280x1024, 344K)

how to keep with the style in current technology? would it be realistic? if so wouldnt it take away the charm?

dude infestor/broodlord/corruptor lmao

based 2010 time traveler bro. seems like you missed hots and lotv

>Those 4-hour long attrition matches in MP
I don't know if I enjoyed that or want my life back.

Trash... No seriously that was the name.

Attached: trashgamelol.jpg (1280x720, 145K)

yeah and judging by the view counts of post 2010 sc2 tournies so did everyone else lol

Make way, you underage faggots

Attached: Dune_The_Battle_for_Arrakis_basa.png (640x480, 45K)

Kek

The one and only.

Attached: 3936-homeworld-game-of-the-year-edition-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x957, 162K)

I think they could balance the realistic and the fantastic like they did in AoM 1. Civs could be Greeks, Egyptians, Celts, Mayans, Chinese, and Indians for some pantheon variety.

State of War. Flying saucer taking control of factory buildings.

Attached: stateofrts.jpg (2560x1920, 798K)

which rts game *NEEDS* a sequel the most?

Attached: 324680_screenshots_20160720135825_1.jpg (1366x768, 268K)

>No Nords

I want to try to keep the timeline a bit closer in scope :(

No

Attached: BfmeIIbox.jpg (357x500, 63K)

This one.

Attached: 4-1024_5051.jpg (1024x768, 156K)

What do RTS chads think about grand strategy games?

Attached: 230758-victoria-ii-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x1154, 161K)

This shit was weird, I could never get the hang of it. Some really cool concepts though.

wait WHAT THE FUCK

>Total War
>RTS
I don't think you know what RTS means

Kharak...is...burning...

Haven't touched AoE3 in over a decade, yet I still play AoE2 to this day.
That really says all it has too.

I would much rather play starcraft in multiplayer but this game has better single player.

Warlocked. Fucking awesome RTS for GBC. You have no idea of how fucking great it was to be able to play a strategy game on the go. Plus it had some super neat shit like dragons, wizards with various interesting and fun skills, some really interesting levels as well. Fun times were had, although it was hard as balls sometimes and also a fairly simple and straightforward game. I feel this is one of those games that truly used more strategy than anything because you didn't have access to shit like upgrades and had finite resources for the most part.

Attached: warlocked.jpg (323x250, 55K)

>You have no idea of how fucking great it was to be able to play a strategy game on the go.
AoE2 Switch when?

that game was really good, but too complax as far as I remember

Finally, someone with taste.

The only RTS game I will ever play. I mostly play it for the comfy atmosphere and that bitchin OST. Can't wait for DE!

this.
"why dont dumb zoomers want to get into classic RTS games like AoE2?"
I guess phones and social media have killed their willingness to spend hours perfecting their boar killing technique just to be able to start to play seriously.

nah red dragon is goat, fuck off

Attached: AL5hDzr-s-QIrV9wZQMIhK9i1pVYgS5EL59n4Za1tD8.jpg (816x767, 106K)

Secondary who didn't play EE detected

butthurt f-117 usa faggot detected.

Attached: 3232323.png (1024x647, 363K)

original war

Attached: 2213592-2850.jpg (393x500, 87K)

The Chinese shit was really fucking bad. hopefully they just delete that and try something else.

yup. i dont think anyone plays that

Attached: 1452331562084.jpg (1600x978, 256K)

tfw played with a friend on coop. hope you all were graced to have the same experience

Attached: 1566278536407.jpg (1180x590, 48K)

This. Out of all mythologies, they picked Chinese. Even their gimmick, the garden thing, is just a buildable version of the Hephaestus god power.

I fucking loved AoE3, I played it probably the most of them.
I loved AoM as well.
But AoE2? AoE2 was kino. It was just better balanced and played better.

the OST is eternal
youtube.com/watch?v=cdiexmHOy24

and Steve blum sold his soul to the chaos gods

I like original wars but it threw to the trash like 50% of conventional RTS mechanics.

This

for me its youtube.com/watch?v=ZfMX1fz8l7s

fucking mess with lots of variety. Not to be rood user but i don't think your RTS will have a competitive scene, bigger companies have tried and failed, so it's better if you just focus in variety.

I actually really hate how the unit type upgrades makes the unit look silver and gold, it's so offputting.

shit's mad crazy on the hardest levels

i was surprised kingdoms under fire started as a starcraft clone.

Was even more surprised that fucking circle of doom referenced characters from this.

Attached: warofheroes.jpg (480x360, 32K)

For me, it's the Chaos Rising menu theme

To date the only menu theme I stop to listen to apart from Runescape

Attached: 1495206809315.png (237x287, 173K)

wrong webm

Attached: kohan_1.webm (640x360, 2.93M)

youtu.be/hdQmBk37BfI

still is. it's currently (and still) the most played RTS and also sold the most copies of any RTS game in history.
and they didn't even have to resort to giving a free copy away with every pre-built Dell PC like Red Alert did.
crazy thing is it still has a fucking pro scene.

AoM could've been cool but only being able to use each of your god powers once per match was a dealbreaker for me. Should've been more like Company of Heroes or C&C Generals.
No-one talks about AoE3 because it's bad. In fact everyone pretends like it never happened at all, even Microsoft.

>linear tech trees
>no real difference between the nations
>Total Annihilation-style resources
>combat consists of putting the rally point marker in the enemy base and spamming units until he dies
>if that doesnt work, just nuke him
nah. i love RoN but it's never been as good as AoE2

La Hire in smash when

cant believe they actually charged money for essentially AoE2 with a star wars skin.

And it was fucking great. One of the better SW games out there.

>being able to use each of your god powers once per match
I've played a lot of RTS, and i prefer the one use powers over cooldowns.

It means you have to actually think about what powers to use and when, you can't just clone animals non stop, or freeze everyone or delete a wall with a single power.

This also means that the powers can be incredibly op but situational, instead of neutered and spam friendly.

>4 hour
stop playing domination matches and 3v3/4v4
play Capture Point 1v1 or 2v2's. Matches are 25-40min.

Yep, best one so far. I doubt we will see anything better any time soon.

There is very good reason why AoE2 still has decent sized player base.

>Kingdoms
dude that game was my main man rts

>Unity
i mean if you want a game engine that looks like a Facebook game but also melts the CPU through your desk, go right ahead.
you're better off making it a sprite based game so you can focus the processing power on the shit like pathfinding.

Not the same guy, but Great Bombards are unironically bad. Their slow fire rate makes them worse than regular heavy cannons. Three of them can instantly blow up a town center, sure, but that's implying your opponent will let you do that. In my experience, the shipments add an interesting dimension to the gameplay.

I agree, though Homeworld 1 and C&C 1 both have pretty fucking sweet campaigns too.

>Kharak is burning
>mission is to save as many cryo pods as you can, because they contain the last surviving population
>Adagio for Strings (Vocal version) starts playing

Attached: 1557487542448.png (472x410, 254K)

>no real difference between the nations
I'm not going to entirely disagree with the rest of your points, but this is so wrong.

to be honest, yeah i agree with you.
the only other good Starwars games I feel like were the original Battlefront 1 & 2 and the Starwars total conversion mod for Total Annihilation.

i guess it's a matter of balance.
in AoM i felt like the god powers were either way too weak and useless to be a once-per-match power, or they were absolutely game breaking.
I think C&C Generals and Company of Heroes had a good balance, especially CoH because some abilities were once only, others were passive and some were on lengthy cooldowns while costing resources to use

Overrated as fuck. Brood war is miles better, WC3 too.

make everything as unique as you possibly can. That'll actually attract players.

>aoe 2
>overrated
>when the butthurt Supreme commander brigade exists

You can't be in an RTS thread without retards sucking sup com dick like they were paid to do.

>tfw you went in blind and had no idea about the traitor system so you went ham on all the chaos traits
>tfw WITH COMBAT KNIFE, BOLTGUN AND GRENADE, THE SPACE MARINE SHALL ASSAIL HIS FOE

Attached: 1390453250926.png (434x460, 195K)

WC3 was, but AoE2 is certainly 2nd.

Whoops, meant to post this.

Attached: 3914-command-conquer-red-alert-2-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x977, 169K)

Yeah that makes more sense.

>Blizzdrones still exist and post on this board

>Brings up SupCom out of nowhere
Obsessed.

anyone who liked slower RTS will like GSG
I like GSG
I like 4X
I like TBS, TBT, RTT, RTS, citybuilders, tower defense games, pretty much every flavor of RTS.
I also had a master's 2v2 team and diamond 1v1 rank in SC2, and hit C rank in iCCup on broodwar
most people aren't as well rounded as I am, i'd think most people actually wanted to just play simcity or whatever, but instead played shit like starcraft user maps with no rush 20 infinite minerals or whatever.

Has anybody played this?

Attached: Praetorians_Coverart.png (252x357, 181K)

Great fucking game.

>rts thread with 271 replies
>no mention of Stronghold or Stronghold Crusader or "STRONGHOLD CRUSADER XTREME"
I'm really disappointed Yea Forums
based galactic battlegrounds poster

SC Extreme is stupid.
The other 2 games are easy 10/10

Read the thread, bro.

Still is

Destroyed my brother in a LAN. I loved that game.

nani is this?

>Be huge fan of Zero-K
>people tell me that it's inferior to SupCOm
>Try and play it
>can't stomach the sloth pace, focus on macro and unresponsive controls

Attached: tina.png (481x793, 498K)

i cant appreciate aoe2 because i grew up playing the aoe demo, i love aoe, i wish we had aoehd instead of the wingoy 10 version
ground control, i still have the full package safely stored
i remember picking it up because the dude on the box was baddass and i thought it was a shooter

youtube.com/watch?v=xhHfiAy0bWk
Ehh, sokay. I prefer Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge over that, although I pick Age of Empires 2 over WC3/FT or SC/BW, and Blizz RTS over Battle Realms. Something about stealing their MCVs, infilitrating their Battle Labs to get special units, then sticking them in IFVs and have some fun. Kinda wish they continued with that in other RA games. Also wish they'd make BR2. Pretty interesting mechanics where your resource gatherers can be converted into units, have to manage resource gathering and unit generation, put out fires with water/water fields for faster output, and so on.

This desu.
The meta is:
>mass a gigantic army with shipments and maybe a couple of barracks
>engage once with the enemy
>whoever loses resigns
boring game to watch & play

Absolutely based.
youtube.com/watch?v=WBOD8qeCBuc

Tiberian Sun was my favourite RTS, though not the 'best' (it always felt like 2/3rds of a finished game).
Kane's Wrath was peak RTS IMO.
I like AoE2 a lot but the palette swap civs keep it from being the best for me.

Your left or right hand?

>learn your build orders/gimmicks
>apply it, and meticulosly walk your units back and forth looking for an opening
How many RTS fix this issue?

I love RA2 lad, but you have to admit it is terribly unbalanced

Attached: Allied-PrismTank.1.png (640x480, 519K)