SOTC named the best game of the 2000s

Sony always wins baby

Attached: B50B09ED-4555-4AC8-9E8B-A015F6456B20.jpg (640x495, 261K)

Wow the 2000s were shit...

Nintendo will never deliver such a masterpiece.

Who named it?

Cope Tendie
Destructoid, IGN had the same top two as this but in different order

Accurate

>living in the past
I thought we were talking about sony, not nintendo

The 2009 list they made? If so, why does it matter? Outdated.

I'd probably pick either Perfect Dark or Silent Hill 2 personally.

how can a list be outdated when it's only measuring up to a specific date?

based, I hate nu-SNOY but SotC is a masterpiece

Because it’s been 10 years since then. Games are bound to not hold up.

Before anyone asks, here was the list
> 15. Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
> 14. Okami (PS2)
> 13. Metroid Prime (GameCube)
> 12. Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)
> 11. The Wind Waker (GameCube)
> 10. Resident Evil 4 (GameCube)
> 9. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
> 8. Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)
> 7. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (PC)
> 6. Beyond Good & Evil (GameCube)
> 5. God of War II (PS2)
> 4. Portal (PC)
> 3. MOTHER 3 (GBA)
> 2. Half-Life 2 (PC)
> 1. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)

>SotC
>better than timesplitters 2
>better than beyond good and evil
>better than max payne 1 and 2
>better than any 3D GTA
>better than dead rising
>better than RE4
>better than SH2
>better than pathologic
>better than hotel dusk
>better than MGS 2-4
>better than psychonauts
>better than any game in the orange box
>better than Arcanum or VtM:B
>better than fucking Deus Ex
>better than Bioshock
Fucking absurd.

>games like VC before Okami
It should have been at top 3 to be honest. It's my favorite PS2 game along with SotC

probably the greatest presentation of all games in history,but video game? the gameplay is easy as shit,there's barely any challenge in it,it has regenerating health on top of the bosses being just a bunch of puzzles requiring almost no skill at all to succeed

>God of War higher than DMC
>Half Life 2 on the list at all
Yeah, I’m gonna day this list aged like milk.

PS3 version is better in every way. Almost to the point where the original PS2 version is obsolete.

I take it these are massive consoletards and don't really like PC that much?

Kill yourself Tendies, Kill yourself PC drones. Sony always wins

It's true though.

It hardly has the framerate of a game and its controls are jank city
gtfo sonyggger

PC gaming was never relevant, you can look at any list any you wil never see any PC game on it except Valve shit. Nobody cares about your literal who outdated garbage when they can play superior console games. All of the best games are on Playstation

>Beyond Good & Evil (GameCube)
Didn't know the game came out for the gamecube too

> Seething this badly that a Port will never happen
Based Sony

It's still the best game of 2005

i wish brainlets could appreciate art

I own it on PS2, PS3 and PS4, I love it but it has seen better (playable) versions and the 00's saw way better games.
It became playable on PS3 ffs.

Wrong, but cope more if it makes you feel better.

>I subjected myself to sub-20 framerates and janky controllers because ART

Timesplitters sucks and always has.

Attached: timesplitters artwork.jpg (640x480, 119K)

Best game of the century, no amount of seething will change that

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-05 dDS264e png (PNG Image, 703 × 1151 pixels).png (881x223, 77K)

>RE4
>Civ IV
>Psychonauts
>Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
>DMC3
>Dawn of Sorrow
>The Warriors
No.

Yes.

It blows the absolute fuck out of the 2010s, that’s for sure.

>SotC
>Better than Diablo 2

Hold the fuck up.

All shit games except RE4

Not in a million years.
Ico > SotC

>WW on the list at all
God I hate the Zelda cycle WW is a fucking piece of shit

Ico isn’t that great. Good game but overrated.

It unironically isn't as good as you remember it being. Looks great, sure. Has one great mechanic, true. But every fight is a mediocre puzzle and not a single boss requires any skill at all. Everything up until the guy with the sword ramps up difficulty but then the difficulty is just gone and you're just solving basic puzzles with little to no challenge.

game honestly put me to sleep
it sucks when the novelty of fighting big dudes wears off
as far as video games goes, it blows. that's my hot take.

Better than SotC for sure.
It has least has actual content that's not 60% riding a horse through seemingly empty plains

Best art style of all time.

no ape escape 4

Colossus are too small and half of them are reskin

>games like VC
You mean masterpieces? Okami isn't that good. The combat is clanky and the pacing is all off because of the brush mechanic. The art direction is awesome but in a way it's too strong, it makes everything look a little too similar. Not a problem 10 hours in, 20 hours in it starts to get to you.

I dislike sotc

Nothing it does stands the test of time and had been obliterated by more contemporary games.

>MGS3
>Metroid Prime
>Resi 4
>that low
Holy shit what terrible taste

Except for art direction and music. And story, as minimal as it is.

None of those games were Nintendo games

Hold up are we still pretending Silent Hill 2 is a good game? It's objectively bad. Horrible combat, shit puzzles, not scary at all. It looks and sounds great, but it's a bit shit. It's what people today would call a movie game

>Vc combat is clanky and the pacing is off because of the turn base combat and the art direction make every level look too similar

DMC 3 is far ahead of SOTC

Ive never played it. Give it to me straight: is it a game or an "experience"?

You might actually be retarded.

I love SotC but it's not the best game of the 2000s in any way whatsoever. Not the most fun, most ambitious, most innovative, most influential, it's literally none of these things.

How is SoTC even fun? I tried playing it years ago, on PS2. It was just hours of walking around doing nothing. Its no surprise then that journalist claim it's the best game of the 2000's, it was the OG walking simulator/Sony movie.

Attached: 1567210137059.png (680x680, 404K)

>Vc combat is clanky
It is, but thankfully it's also a strategy and that's the bit people like. If it was just action I'd join you in saying it plays like shit.
>pacing is off because of the turn base combat
No, it doesn't interrupt action, it happens between action scenes, not during them.
>art direction make every level look too similar
It's a strategy, it's not about immersion. It could honestly happen on a black board.

Now I know you probably haven't played either of those games so you can't argue with me, you'll just make a quick strawman again in response.

You don't get art the colossus are sad, SAAD! they are evil but they are also good art ,ARRT!

The mechanics were mindblowing at the time. Not just the fact that you could walk on top of monsters, but also the dynamic climbing, you could climb shit in physics-based way. Neither of those is impressive anymore so the game aged poorly and no zoomer will understand the appeal.

Correct on the music

>Not the most innovative
It is one of the most innovative games on PS2, purely on a mechanical level.

Love tha"Action in Vc ratatata clunk!‘ your turn now vroooooooooooooooooooooooooom puffft! WoW EPIC! Valkyria are nuclear bombs wooooooow!

>6/10 games are on sony consoles
>not a single xbox title
>10/15 games are japanese
yep, it's based.

>we've entered the zoomer era where nobody likes Fumito Ueda anymore
Is he boomercore now? Is this why nobody ever mentions TLG in console war threads? People who like him are too old to participate in those?

>I know you probably haven't played either of those games so you can't argue with me, you'll just make a quick strawman again in response.

>purely on a mechanical level.
Eh, not really. Mechanically it's nothing spectacular and most games with some kind of stamina system have had SoTC gameplay for a single boss.
The appeal of it comes from the visual spectacle.

Nobody mentions TLG because it was a forgettable frustrating AI based game that nobody thinks about anymore.

No one mentions TLG because it's trash.

>Mechanically it's nothing spectacular and most games with some kind of stamina system have had SoTC gameplay for a single boss
Name 1 that came out before Sotc. There were no games where you could dynamically walk on top of NPCs, the entire idea blew peoples minds. And by NPCs I don't mean a level that's moving in a pre-calculated way, I mean an NPC that reacts in real time.

>Diablo 2 still being played and modded to this day
>Resident 4 keeps being ported to everything
SotC was one of th le best ps2 games and the ports are beautiful but I think D2 should be number one

Are you color blind? There’s nothing confusing about Okami’s art style

>shits on your movie game

Attached: 220px-Mgs3box.jpg (220x310, 37K)

Like I said, zoomers don't get it.

>non ninja gaiden or dmc
what the fuck is this shit list

no other games have really done what SOTC has done desu

like obviously there's games like god of war, monster hunter, dark souls, etc that have boss fights with enemies much bigger than you but not fights where you literally scale the monster and take it down

Can you read? I'm saying the art direction is so strong and coherent that it doesn't work very well for a game that's like 30 hours long. Everything is a bit too samey, starts to get boring. Compare it Zelda where the general art direction is more bland and because of it every area feels pretty different.

SOTC is pretty meh, I loved ICO and I love the atmosphere and world of SOTC but the boss fights just don't do it for me. they're not challenging, just annoying and boring
probably the true best game of the 2000s

why must you bait? imagine being so pathetic that pretending to be retarded on the internet gives you some sort of gratification

there's nothing to get user, it really just wasn't that good. SOTC is one of my favorite games of all time but TLG is just kinda meh. I don't really care for Ico that much either.

I'm older than you faggot. I had use of reason when it was first announced unlike you.

Major Zero and paramedic awful dialogue and voice actor makes every other movie game shine in comparison

>play game
>realize it's just a mediocre puzzle game
>hipster faggots praise it endlessly
So the most overrated games ever thread then?

this is literally more of a movie game than sotc could ever be

Yeah if you're a baby

I still need to play this.
(I'm 24)

how is SOTC at all a puzzle game

WW hasn't aged a single day.

Metroid prime, better than Silent Hill 2. That list isn't worth shit.

Cod4 was the best game of the 2000s, the fuck is this hipster list.

That is stupid and you're an idiot.

Attached: 1567242920477.jpg (620x413, 35K)

There actually is a lot to get. What you need to get is that the AI doesn't obey you and does what it wants. If you go full zoomie and spam commands then you will think that it's a "frustrating AI". The pace of the game is set by the AI and you need to get into that flow. A lot of people can't and they end up hating it. I get it, not everyone can appreciate something as complex as this, this is for higher level video game players such as myself

>I mean an NPC that reacts in real time.
Like most giant bosses.

These are the types of people that enjoy walking sims

Attached: Do It.gif (1221x1007, 142K)

>t. played it a decade ago
It is user, unironically. Sad but true, I wish it was more skill based but unfortunately only the first few bosses are skill based, the rest die as soon as you solve their puzzle

>3. MOTHER 3 (GBA)
We can officially say that their opinion doesn't matter
Mother 3 is libtard trash

not really, the bossfights are intense as fuck

>figure out the puzzle
>boss becomes a cakewalk

Every single 2D action platformer had you adapting and playing to the rhythm of the AI.
Shit, Megaman is a franchise built on this.

Too late if you ever played bayonetta dragon dogma or god of war 3 , you won't be impress

Yeah. Now name those you need to walk on dynamically, released before Sotc.

Yeah sure, it's not the fact that the game was woefully underwhelming for the length people had to wait. People who you say are younger just don't understand.

You sonyfags really hate anything that isn't total praise huh.

I have :(

Just watch a condensed story video on youtube.

Except adapting to a rhythm of pew pewing enemy is a much more visceral zoomie experience than adapting to the rhythm of a cat playing around in a room. Like I said, it's a filter game and that's a good thing. I need to feel special about my superior taste and this game lets me do it.

>ctrl-f Deus Ex
>...
>ctrl-f again just to make sure
What the absolute fuck?

Attached: 1515360977273.png (382x291, 154K)

why does Yea Forums hate games so much

You don’t get why it’s unique.

>mother 3
>valkyria chronicles
>on the same list as RE4, Metroid Prime, Silent Hill 2 and Diablo 2.
Yeah fucking ok. What kind of jabroni compiled this? Was is Giant Bomb?

Attached: 54pvitwfnor21.gif (190x182, 2.36M)

Stabbing the colossi appeals to the same fucking visceral experience except with more boring shit between.
Impressive.

Yep. What’s the matter, never played it?

>woefully underwhelming for the length people had to wait
Nobody was waiting for it though. It was assumed to be cancelled for like half of that "wait". If anything, I'm just happy it's released, even as buggy as it is, and it is buggy.

this. it makes no sense.
mother 3 is great in terms of premise, tone, soundtrack and artstyle.

I liked fighing huge beasts

See you're so zoomie you couldn't even follow our discussion, we're talking about TLG.

Zoomers hate what they don't understand. They were born too late to fully enjoy SotC so they need to bring it down to their level. They can't rewrite history though, people enjoyed it a lot in the past and that makes zoomies seethe even harder

Mother 3 doesn't compare to the other games. There are a dozen other superior games that aren't even on that list.

Oh fuck I dropped the ball
Sorry user.

>MGS 2-4
>not 1-3

Attached: 1508520230651.jpg (453x439, 85K)

>Zoomers will never have a comfy night of headstabbing before bed and think about the next colossus all day at school the next day
Take me back

We're talking games released in the 00's. 4 is nowhere near as good as the original trilogy but it surely is a better game than SotC

You didn't fight them. You completed a platforming puzzle to reach a stab point. Dragon's Dogma shits all over this shitty "art" game.

Dragons Dogma cites SotC as influence and if DD was anywhere near its finished state youd complian it was another art game

No I wouldn't. I'd be championing it as the best game ever made. Doesn't really matter if SotC did the whole climbing giant monsters first, it's still not a fun game.

Attached: 15544029693550.gif (652x562, 392K)

Play a better game

Attached: The-Last-Guardian-4K-Wallpaper.jpg (3840x2160, 1.21M)

the full list:

Part One - #50-41
50. Metal Slug 3
49. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
48. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
47. Vagrant Story
46. Super Smash Bros. Melee
45. Team Fortress 2
44. WarioWare: Twisted!
43. Banjo-Tooie
42. Psychonauts
41. Braid

Part Two - #40-31
40. Kingdom Hearts
39. Rock Band 2
38. Marvel vs. Capcom 2
37. Lost Odyssey
36. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
35. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3
34. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
33. BioShock
32. Katamari Damacy
31. Civilization III

Part Three - #30-21
30. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
29. Shenmue II
28. Left 4 Dead
27. Skies of Arcadia
26. Paper Mario
25. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
24. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
23. Cave Story
22. Ico
21. Ikaruga

Part Four - #20-11
20. Final Fantasy IX
19. World of WarCraft
18. Persona 4
17. Pikmin 2
16. Deus Ex
15. Silent Hill 2
14. Okami
13. Metroid Prime
12. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
11. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Part Five - #10-1
10. Resident Evil 4
9. Super Mario Galaxy
8. Valkyria Chronicles
7. Diablo II
6. Beyond Good & Evil
5. God of War II
4. Portal
3. Mother 3
2. Half-Life 2
1. Shadow of the Colossus

what really bothers me is that there's no morrowind, how is taht possible bros? surely its one of the top 50 games od 2000s for everyone here at least, right?

>most of those games
>better than THPS2-4
>imblyign

>Nobody was waiting for it though
You're joking right? user, people bought ps3's for it.

The Remake is the best

Attached: downloadfile.png (1600x900, 2.04M)

>MGS3 on the list and MGS2 was not

HA

>2. Half-Life 2

Attached: conbel.jpg (375x411, 26K)

>plebs gonna pleb
Yeah you sure showed everyone

What's the deal with cave story?
I played it and it's just a fun little browser/flash game, I feel like I've played similar things several times on flash game sites in the early 00's because they were everywhere. Why's this one garnered so much attention?

Would you prefer Yea Forums be nothing but praise for every game?
In a few hours, maybe after few days, this thread will be in the archive and no one will care to ever look it up.
Yes, it is true that because of the nature of imageboards a lot of people come here for the sole purpose to bait and shitpost about things and very often they shitpost about thing you or I like.
For example the fag that called PC gaming irrelevant, thought most people smartly ignored him.
Did you expect a thread discussing some "Best of" list to be civilized? These kind of lists are the most subjective thing in the world so of course shitposting will be at higher level.
Even so people are still actively arguing for or against SotC, which is must better than the blatant shill threads. I guarantee the people who put the list together put less thought into it than some anons here put into a single post about SotC
Look at it:
Its a complete mess and its why "Tier Lists" have been beating out "Top X lists" in recent years.
You can either use these threads to strengthen your own views on the subject by arguing with other viewpoints, or just throw out a post of your feelings so lurkers of the thread can have a better sample of how people on this site feel about the game.

>everything looks too good, it’s boring now
>everything looks bland, so every area looks different

Attached: 8B15806A-5347-463F-AB93-D6DE22E2AA27.jpg (1920x1080, 309K)

>No MGS2

So much for being "Game of the Year" when it's not even on the top 50 list

Attached: laughing4.jpg (632x483, 275K)

Not surprised at all to see sotc in first. This game was barebones, and yet no other game gripped me like this one has. The sense of wonder when you the explore empty ruins and landscapes, the ambiguous and minimal story, the awe you feel when you fight a colossus for the first time. That first playthough left me floored.

You're replying to someone who hasn't played Okami or Zelda. What did you expect?

Based.

>Being a plebian and thinking like journalists do that SoTC is about Colossus being sad and shit
>Not being a redpilled patrician like the hardcore SoTC Autists and realising that SoTC is a Biblical story about Christian Tribes hunting down a heretic (Wander) who plans to make a deal with the devil (Dormin = Nimrod) in the Tower of Babel (the Hidden Gardens = Hanging Gardens of Babylon) in the ruins of Babylon

What has happened to Yea Forums? The whole game is a warning about Demon worship. Are you seriously as ignorant and dumb as the Game Journalists you criticise?

Attached: The Tower of Babel.jpg (1200x1641, 175K)

this shit barely had stable 17fps on PS2 what the fuck

>Sony sometimes wins baby
FTFY

Attached: 43797264470_df5dd84db5_b.jpg (920x512, 190K)

Only zoomers and greasy old nintenboomers disagree

They only put one game per franchise, in case it wasn’t obvious. Braindead retard.

and yet there are several Mario games.

Even so, this means that MGS3 is the better of the PS2 MGS games

>game of 2000s
>Its only 2019
Yeah I'm sure SotC is way better than the fully immersive tank- sensory simulation fantasy RPG with a full scale world and ultra realistic indistinguishable from IRL 2999 magnum opus from Godd Howard

so just like breath of the wild on the switch

>mgs3 that low
>hl2 that high

This list is bullshit

But WAIT there's more!
>You save the game by praying to idols, but using the Christian prayer, which is inherently heretical
>Final Colossus is a Wizard and a Tower, representing the Tarot Cards of the Magician and the Tower
>Final Colossus is a Wizard, referring to the heretical nature of Mages like Simon Magus and various other sorcerers that worked on the Tower of Babel.
>Several of the Colossi are based on Tarot Cards (including cut ones like the Devil Colossi)
>Wander is baptised at the end to free him of his sin, turning him into a baby, a pure creature, yet simultaneously his body is still tainted by the "original sin" that he committed with the appearance of the horns
>The Colossi are referred to as "Idols" by Dormin, referring to the Sin of Idolatry, which Wander commits.
>As Wander slays more Colossi and frees pieces of Dormin's soul more and more, Wander's body becomes corrupted with Sin and he looks dirtier as a result. (Pic related)
>There is no good ending, even if we assume Wander was freed, it's heavily implied Yorda is corrupted and becomes the Dark Queen from Ico, moral of the story: Don't make a deal with Demons and don't worship them.

This game is more redpilled than Journos and Snoyfags make it out to be.

Attached: SoTC Wander Corruption.jpg (1280x907, 255K)

>27. Skies of Arcadia
You know what, I'd put it higher but Im just glad its even on the list at all.

Do one on Ico and the last Guardian

Attached: 220px-Ico_cover_-_EU+JP.jpg (220x313, 27K)

*Mono
Shit I meant to write Mono instead of Yorda, my bad.

>first deus ex nowhere in the first 10
list discarded

Ico is a bit more trickier for me to analyse. It's pretty much a less ambigious more straightforward game, especially since a lot more of the story got cut early on (like Ico being a normal human and Yorda just being an imprisoned princess)
If I had to guess, the Dark Queen is a noblewoman (presumably Mono after her corruption) who rose to power and made every Knight in the realm hunt down kids with specific horns. The Dark Queen is evidently a sorceress who sacrifices cursed/sinful children and turns them into demonic wrathful spirits who hunt down Ico throughout the game. There isn't much to really go in-depth since Ueda really only made the game with a simple concept in mind, whereas SoTC is where he started applying more context religious symbolism, that and I never fully finished Ico (I am only 1/4s of the way through finishing it rn).

As for Last Guardian, I haven't played it, unfortunately. So can't analyse it.

The reason SoTC is so easy to analyse is because of the open-world, there's a ton of weird small details you can find (like the magnetic rings that guide Phalanx throughout the arena [actually similar looking rings can be found in Ico but I am not sure how connected they are], or the cut dam area, or even a Castle that resembles the one from Ico). There's a lot of things still being uncovered in this game to this day, and even in Ico too. But I haven't gone too in-depth with Ico (yet).

Attached: SoTC Rings.jpg (1280x720, 98K)

Cool it's a shame they cut all of the Colossus in the game. Also after you finish Ico you should really play The Last Guardian.

Attached: Alpha+Spider.jpg (640x480, 43K)

Wait, Colossus were actually GOOLDS?

Good, it's easily a masterpiece.

It gave us your sorry ass, so I'd be inclined to agree.

It wasn't even considered the best game of its release year.

bioshock is literally system shock 2 for 6 year olds

>tfw haven't played any of those games either
Fuckyea I'mma go get it rn

>Mother 3 that high

I'm impressed

Attached: 1521342123991.jpg (320x240, 10K)

Are you implying it's not?

Why the fuck is Diablo 2: LoD only 7?

unique doesn't equate to good.

>God of War II
No Devil May cry 3, Ninja Gaiden black or Bayonetta. Lo fucking l.

You mean 10/15 are games on sony consoles

I really don't understand why everyone to this day is still attached to a game that's only feature is climbing on bosses. It's very artsy and sombre, yeah, but that's it.

>Okami
Actually a pretty nice list

Attached: 1565058488423.png (480x480, 148K)

You have been visited by Laurseiseki.

Y-you should probably bump the thread, d-desu. There's 169 p-posts in this thread, desu. Yet it's near the e-end of the b-board, desu.

Attached: 1560963479396.jpg (333x760, 52K)