Water physics

Why don't games have dynamic water or actual simulated water physics anymore? 2D water splashes are a lazy cover-up.
I remember dynamic water was present in most UE2 games. Are modern devs even trying?

Attached: K8fKqeN[1].gif (400x264, 2M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1o0Nuq71gI4
youtube.com/watch?v=lWyipKbAzAI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

okay in what games was dynamic water a thing? physx tried to do some of that stuff but as turned out it was a resource hog

Developers just can't be bothered to put it in.

Why the fuck should you bother with that when you can make millions with this

Attached: Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 7.32.39 PM.png (640x471, 11K)

I'm a boomer and I don't really see the need for it anymore. I'd rather have devs use resources and hardware to simulate things that actually matter, like actual good AI. Take a game like Silent Hunter for example, all you do is sail around the ocean yet I couldn't give two squirts of piss about how the water looks as it laps against the hull. I'd rather see detailed damage modeling, etc.
So in a roundabout way of answering your question, nobody cares anymore.

Later Unreal Tournaments. GTA IV. Crysis 2 and maybe 3, idk. MX vs ATV Reflex. Spintires has a sort of implementation too.

Wave Race 64

water game

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 44K)

What's the point? Games are already bogged down with worthless shit like uncompressed sound files and stupid post processing effects that just give us filesizes in the ~100 gb range and ridiculously unoptimized games. Sometimes less is more, it works just as well and can still look very good. Developers may or may not even be competent enough to make it happen these days.

>resource hog
That's the reality of it. The amount of real time calculations is more than most consoles can handle. Trying to implement a game around it only adds to more load on RAM.

>Tfw you'll never have in your lifetime puzzle games with dynamic water, despite the shitton of potential they have (moving floating items to make a bridge, use the water's pressure to activate switches, balance weights using water when items aren't enough...)

Attached: 34763958265105654.jpg (432x366, 40K)

I dunno man, Pokemon water seems very realistic.

I'm with you. i wish games focused more on interactive physics simulations than shallow surface graphics. Imagine with modern hardware how much simulation a game could have now with ps2 level surface graphics.

Fuck you.

based cringe zoomer

Games from the 2000s which had such physics were all lightweight on resources.

Yep. No issues here.

Attached: 1567636886473.png (710x512, 849K)

Because game developers are lazy fucks who don't give a shit about the product they're shitting out. All game companies need to be nationalized.

Because programming such things is a massive pain in the ass, and for what? Why put yourself through ton of extra work for something with no pay off?

And lets not forget that such things are hated by CPU's.

Not during that period

Spotted the modern programmer.

Attached: 1563690808830.png (293x244, 78K)

Are you even aware that the little gif you posted took hours to calculate on a high end PC?
Dynamic water already exists on games that can take advantage of it. Whitewater simulations (realistic foam and splashes like in that gif) are literally impossible in real time.

He's not a programmer. Getting something like that gif in a game isn't a pain in the ass, it's impossible. If you can do that you can become filthy rich by selling the technology.

Mostly because consumer recourses won't be able to handle it. To the enthusiast sure their rig can take it, but the average pc gamer won't be able to and as a result means less sales.

It's a lot of computational power for something that doesn't necessarily enhance the gameplay. The resources it would take to have simulated water physics would generally be better used elsewhere, unless your game is about realistic water.

okay you boys don't even understand what actual water physics are. Just because they do waves doesn't mean the water itself is tied to physics like the OP is asking. Like when you swim in GTA there is no water leaving from the sea into the air when it splashes. It is all just fixed particle effects. In the OP's example when water splashes it actually means that the water itself is moving. Like in Borderlands 2 they did that goo stuff with physx and if you would splash the goo around then it would actually move, disperse and change its position.

Nice water

The gif was a real-time nvidia physx fluid demo, fucking liar.

Dwarf Fortress

youtube.com/watch?v=1o0Nuq71gI4
niggerfaggot

Sea of theives is only game that eveh came close to that

nice

Unless it's the game uses water physics as a mechanic there's not really any reason to put resources into a complex physics simulation that 90% of normal fags won't even notice.

This right here is the reason - normalfags.

Are you SERIOUSLY comparing that low resolution shit to a fully simulated whitewater simulation? Are you fucking blind or just absolutely retarded?

So this is where that guy from Miiverse went.

the water isnt simulated in sea of theives though. i think it was originally to create the animation but whats in the game is just a fancy animation you cant deform it or create huge waves dynamically

>running a complex physics simulation for something that 99% of the time is just scenery

That said, there have been some cool developments in particle volume physics that could change things in the coming years. I've often wondered why no one had designed a system where the surface of a volume was a skin of particles, and the inside a flexible single body, but I did some digging a little while ago and found that, in fact, someone HAD done it, and in a much smarter way than my method worked. I can't find the video right now, but it was a hybrid system where particles and volumes can split and combine in real time.

no large amounts of liquid is done in realtime physics in any game these people are just clueless

youtube.com/watch?v=lWyipKbAzAI
Why yes, I am.

Attached: 1554055296550.jpg (960x960, 108K)

Well op asked for dynamic water and simulated water. Water can by dynamic by implementing buoyancy equations and allowing for the water mesh to be deformed. A simulation is something else of course but dynamic water isn’t just possible it’s there in many games.

OP droppin truth bombs, who needs a thousand crummy Pokémon or realistic faces when you can have realistic WATER

muh photorealistic face scans

Attached: 40088276[1].jpg (758x500, 38K)

There are no worthwhile mechanics that could be done with physics water that couldn't be done with much less costly water simulations, except angry birds tier physics chaos that gets boring in ten minutes. Even for the sake of looks it's inefficient when you could make a shitload of high detail geometry instead of just water