So I'm a big fan of "active" RPGs, though I've only ever played the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games...

So I'm a big fan of "active" RPGs, though I've only ever played the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games, are there any other games that have mechanics like this?

The timed input adds a fun level of interaction to an already solid genre without going full "Action RPG" and it's something I've found really enjoyable playing these games, wondering what else there is out there with mechanics like that.

Attached: Paper Mario Action Command.png (597x402, 295K)

The first South Park RPG.

South Park: Stick of Truth
Legend of Dragoon
Mother 3
Squall in FF8

Rereading the OP, if you liked the ones you mentioned, go play Super Mario RPG.

dare i mention undertale in the current shitstorm?

Are there any games that combine this aspect with a TRPG?

vagrant story and parasite eve on the ps1. vagrant story has timed hits, in parasite eve you dodge enemy attacks in real time.

Super Mario Rpg. It inspired Paper Mario to include and innovate on said action commands.

the new yakuza game sounds like it's going to have some mechanics like these.

Shadow Hearts the South Park games do it

Utawarerumono mask of deception + mask of truth have an immensely satisfying version of this mechanic. However, they are visual novels with gameplay segments similar to fire emblem games, so it may not be for you.

There is Bug Fables which should release this year.

Have you not played Super Mario RPG? What the fuck is wrong with you, literally puts all those paper shit games to shame.

Also, I think Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden would qualify and is also better than papershit.

If you want more action, try out Battle Network.

Attached: 1491017704180.gif (480x320, 1.08M)

>Battle Network
>turn based
Pick one.

Attached: 1304376955947.png (600x450, 457K)

>implying a game that uses the term "turn" to describe repeating phases of attack isn't turn based

Attached: 1562012536275.png (640x480, 348K)

Shadow Hearts
Legend of Dragoon

For me, it's Tomato Adventure, a cute, wild, and overall funny game.

Attached: 6435116i.jpg (450x600, 127K)

Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden

Attached: pumpp.jpg (400x400, 20K)

it is kinda rough around the edges

ffx but only for overdrives

Undertale and Delta Rune

Mario & Luigi games. Pretty sure paper mario died for this series anyway. Still pretty good though

Seconding this, if you haven't played this already it's probably one of the single greatest gaming experiences to be had.

Attached: 1560187049766.jpg (277x406, 70K)