Why hasn't 21:9 (Ultrawide) screen ratio become the new standard...

Why hasn't 21:9 (Ultrawide) screen ratio become the new standard? I've been playing MHW with it and the wider panorama look is so nice.

Attached: 1511_6_1.jpg (2560x1080, 813K)

It's dumb

How?

A lot of old games barely support 16:9, some barely scrape by with janky hacks. 4:3 UI stretched to widescreen already looks pretty bad, but I can't imagine playing like that at ultra wide.

because you are better of getting two 16/9 displays instead of one widememe

because real life field of vision is closer to 16:9 than 21:9

Because
>most people don't have ultrawide screens/tv's
>more demanding for the game (if on console)

Also ultrawide will have to force players to shift their attention and focus around a larger area, so picking things up with your sub near peripheral vision becomes harder, meaning you have to use your mid peripheral vision, which demands more focus/effort, which hampens your focus/immersion.

Why are the top and bottom of the screen cut off?

Attached: Cat2.png (750x730, 470K)

Because ultrawide is a meme

I love how you took the biggest advantage of ultrawide, which is being able to see more and therefore being more immersed, and twisted it into the exact opposite thing. Lovely mental gymnastics.

I'm not buying a monitor with meme native resolution and aspect ratio, only for it to be supported by a handful of games.
Developers won't bother supporting meme resolutions and aspect ratios because rational people think like me.

fuck you

Your aspect ratio is wider than hidamari sketch character's face

Attached: 1522555557924.jpg (445x488, 47K)

actual retard

Or maybe, just maybe, it's not as good a thing as you thought. But close minded people will only see what they want to see, so "mental gymnastics" it is. You never even stopped for a second to think you might be wrong, don't even pretend otherwise.

Not even that user but are you retarded? You field of focus is small as shit. Nobody want to turn their head to see shit. Important UI couldn’t be st the edges of 21:9. Just look some up. They would have to center the UI wich would look jank, or we can just accept human limitation and design around it instead of ignoring it for wideness. Want to be more immersed? Get a bigger screen or VR

because 16:9 is the perfect balance
21:9 is absolutely retarded

19:9 is pretty comfy.

Attached: EVoVQ1p.jpg (2280x1080, 1.23M)

It's basic camera design 101 in games.
Just something so simple as having your healthbar and vital information centered around a character in say a 3rd person game doesn't mean the player has to shift focus away to different parts of the screen to check various information like health, mana, ammo, etc.

Imagine having a screen the size of a wall. You would now actually have to move your entire head to check your health, ammo and stuff.

Bigger isn't automatically better. There are pros and cons to consider, which you don't understand. You just think "I can see more" and that's it.

Chad

With your specific example, HUD Bounds are a thing, user. Some games ultrawide does just let you see more and detracts literally nothing.

so some extra space are tacked on outside of the edge of the hud? those look like shit

Is that how you feel about 16:9 compared to 4:3?

Doesn't change the fact that shifting your vision to the sides of the screen in ultrawide takes more effort and focus.

Ultrawide would only be viable for something slower paced or by just watching pictures. Otherwise the extra screen space is pointless and you might as well just make the game run and look better.

Ultrawide really isn't that good overall for gaming, so making it standardized would be pretty fucking dumb.

Most new games support it. If they don't you can usually find a hack, which is nice.

21:9 is pretty solid, I could never go back to 16:9

My monitor is only 2560x1080 though, I want to upgrade to a 3440×1440 at some point in the future.

In stuff like third person shooters especially, it lets you track movement without taking a whole lot of extra focus. Think peeking corners etc.

I don't think it will be the new standard though, nor should it. It just doesn't really detract anything.

Dunno, a big 16:9 screen is more immersive to me than a long and narrow noodle.

>Is that how you feel about 16:9 compared to 4:3?
You're suggesting the bottom version (see image). So your example doesn't apply, so why did you even make it? Don't you think before posting?

Attached: Capture.jpg (1208x724, 37K)

>the virgin tiny ultrawide screen user vs. the chad large 16:9 screen user
Take the 40"+ redpill, anons.

>It just doesn't really detract anything.
It actually does while not really offering a strong enough benefit most of the time. Meaning it's a waste.

it's just like triplescreen wide 5760x1920. you don't focus on the peripheral, idiot.

How is 43'' for a monitor?
Currently have a 32'' and sometimes feel like I could go bigger.

err 5760x1080

Why did you decide to comment when you don't know how the brain or human vision works?

? the same could be said about 16:9

Depends on how far away you sit.