*AVGN voice*

*AVGN voice*

What were they fucking thinking??

Attached: oblivion speech.jpg (350x350, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zAXqGOnHxVQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

At least Oblivion had skills and attributes

They just played SMT and figured they'd do an even worse negotiation system.
At least in Oblivion it doesn't have fucking anything to do with the moon.

This system would have made a lot more sense if you weren't required to do all four in the same conversation. The player comes across as some sort of schizo.

>had to do this 10000000 times to max speech

Thanks, Todd, you fucking faggot.

I'm not defending Skyrim's culling of skills but
>axes are blunt weapons
That was fucking dumb, even back then.

Attached: 1554573862703.png (579x533, 158K)

Attached: speechcraft trainers.png (533x253, 11K)

The system is weird but I never really minded it. As far as minigames go it's fast, simple, and not too obtrusive.

HA! Tell another!

Not to mention the naming was completely pointless. It might as well just said "north south west east", it would have just as much impact. It's not like your character is telling a joke, it just feels like they were trying to cover up their shitty, underdeveloped speechcraft system with an RPG-coat.

What is your full section joke?

>no mods to replace the shitty speech system

How come Oblivion modding didn't take off as much as Skyrim's did?

Attached: Todd at gunpoint.jpg (708x708, 43K)

Don't talk such rot.

Attached: 1412190109107.png (356x256, 200K)

Internet wasn't as big at the time.

so did skyrim

Remember stats?

They will be returning for TES 6, right? .... right? ;_;

Attached: oblivion stats.jpg (631x623, 313K)

they sure are user, it'll have all your favorites!
>hit
>cast
>yell

The only milestone you ever needed was the fucking 25 Apprentice one anyway.

We already had massive overhaul mods to Morrowind's combat when Oblivion released, you have no excuse.

>luck is a stat

Miss me with that shit.

Attached: 1556520849276.gif (345x259, 2.34M)

It wasn't great, but at least they tried to innovate or do some sort of system where the speech attribute played some roll in persuading people beyond a static number check.

Sure they will. Along with sleeping/meditating and receiving nifty messages for each level up.

Attached: dreamboy.jpg (808x880, 201K)

Morrowind had an infinitely more hardcore following.
And still does.

Luck is the most important stat worth implementing in RPG's change my mind.

that always triggered the shit out of me

>can only use trainers so many times per level
>can't use trainers early on because you don't have any money, so you have several wasted levels
Athletics, Acrobatics, and Mercantile are the only skills worth training, though. Since they're directly related to your play time. I just console command to give myself free athletics up front so walking everywhere isn't a fucking chore

All it did in Oblivion was increase the amount of gold you find in random contains by a little bit. So instead of finding 5-10 gold, with a high luck stat you'd find 10-15.

Whoop-de-fuckin-doo.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 24K)

Zero, in fact the next TES will feature only 3 skills, Combat (includes all weapon types), Sneaking (includes sneak and pickpocket) and Magic (includes all magic schools).

>Makes Security skill useless
pssh nothin personnel kiddo

Attached: Skeleton_Key_%28Oblivion%29.png (110x827, 92K)

>so you have several wasted levels
Just don't level up until you've trained 5 times.
then you run into the problem that you've trained so much at one level that you won't have any +5 stat boosts for the next. Which is resolved by just training 5 times at that level, but still.

In what universe would that thing open any locks, or even fit into them to begin with? Looks more like a sadistic torture tool. Explain.

Arena was better

Attached: Arena.png (640x480, 65K)

>10 Bethesdabucks have been transfered to your bank account.

Attached: Todd with Mommy.jpg (920x1480, 848K)

Skyrim doesn't have attributes nor racial bonuses. You used to be able to start with huge skill bonuses by matching up the corresponding race, attributes and major skills.

>tfw a dream had to teach me how to lockpick in Oblivion because it was that stupid
needless to say I became an expert overnight

I just realized that one looks weird. This is how it looks like ingame.

Attached: 449224968.jpg (370x278, 30K)

>Disparaging the joy of a 10-luck/1-luck run in games that make use of the stat well.
>Enemies guns explode on them at the worst time, as a herd of fucking wildebeast also storm their position/Your gun explodes the first shot you take with it after you buy it from a store.
>Gambling god/Gambling is so bad an idea you actively need to find ways to remove chance from any games to stand a chance. This includes refusing rock paper scissors.
>Can just outright guess a passcode/The "thing" taking the passcode doesn't work. I guess you don't get to use this door even if you had it, chump.
>Every hit is a critical/EVERY HIT IS A CRITICAL JESUS
>It doesn't matter how little skill you have, a little luck goes a long way/It doesn't matter that you're a fucking doctorate, this scalpel is going STRAIGHT in that man's eye.

Okay the last one I don't think has happened to me, but everything else comes from several games with luck stats. Luck is great to play around with. There's no greater amusement than being a scrub who just can't stop falling into glory. There is no greater triumph than victory in the face of a world that literally has decided you are statistically required to live on the wrong side of the bell curve.

Attached: 5188e9cd133362e349708cd3c859a6d2.gif (128x128, 23K)

>attack rat
>miss 10 times in a row
>horribly loud and bit-crushed *SQUEEK SQUEEK* pierce my ear-drums
>miss another 10 times
>rat hits me once
>dead
>heart another painful *SQUEEK SQUEEK* as the the screen fades to black
>uninstall game

so youre saying i should lucid dream todd into being my friend and explaining why TES is so fucking stupid to me?

It's a daedric artifact, those shits toy with the flimsy-ass reality that composes mundus.

Arena is to Ultima Underworld what Ultima IX is to any Ultima beforehand.

>Call yourself Kain
>Spooky ghost telling you to be the architect of destiny
Uh oh.

>hey I came up with a cool design for this mystical lockpick artifact but I don't know how to implement it into the minigame
>just make it a normal ass lockpick lmao

Attached: Todd-buy-it-or-i-will-kill-myself-Howard.png (328x330, 189K)

Why the fuck would you want to learn Speechcraft anyway, outside of maybe roleplay reasons? It's a useless skill that you never need for anything, especially considering illusion magic is a thing.

>Oblivion had skills and attributes
and they're all irrelevant besides magic because of enemy level scaling, the easiest lockpicking and speech minigames in the world and broken stealth mean that none of the other skills actually do anything

>git gud and unlock the Arena betting box early on
>lodsa moni

Then you get the skeleton key from Nocturnal's shrine quest and the whole skill is pointless since you can just force locks indefinitely...

Reminder to collect those essential followers during quests and to never complete those quests for a big ass 6+ member strong party to carry you through the game in Oblivion. Martin, Jauffre, those 2 brothers from that one random quest, and some guy from an early mages guild charter quest. Makes the game so much more enjoyable and chaotic.

Basically get the quest Skingrad reccomendation, Legacy lost, and Weynon Priory and never complete them to get 5 permanent followers who can never die.

Attached: Oblivion Quest Followers.png (1720x796, 95K)

stop making me want to boot up oblivion again

Attached: 1436986677056.jpg (1094x720, 214K)

But they do have racial bonuses? Like every race has major skills and minor skills that start with a score higher than base. Base is 15, five skills at 20, one at 25.

I fucking love this shit.

It makes sense because axes and blunt weapons are both weighted heavily at the end. The tabletop RPG GURPS actually has Axe/Mace as the same skill.

>>Disparaging the joy of a 10-luck/1-luck run in games that make use of the stat well.
>that make use of the stat well

And that's the issue with Oblivion.

>Reminder to collect those essential followers during quests and to never complete those quests for a big ass 6+ member strong party to carry you through the game in Oblivion.
You can do that in Skyrim too.

It's literally just jiggling a pin until it makes the slow "click-clack" noise. That's it. There's zero skill involved, and leveling up Lockpicking only lets you force it more easily.

I love how even Oblivion tried to rationalize it. One of the in-game books state something like "the way you handle those weapons is basically identical" and just hand-waved it.

Attached: 1322161623978.jpg (419x403, 178K)

youtube.com/watch?v=zAXqGOnHxVQ

I miss being able to exploit this shitty game at every opportunity.

which games have teh best luck implementations?

I just got done installing Morrowind, and Oblivion, and I would like to mod them, but I've never modded a game before.
Is there anything I should know or do before getting started, and what mods would you recommend?

Attached: 1541759061616.jpg (500x500, 43K)

Fallout series?

In Morrowind you could get +15, for example a high elf with willpower as a favored attribute would start with 45 Destruction if you picked it as a Major. Or, an Orc favoring Endurance & Strength could start with 45 Heavy Armor and 40 Axe. Conversely you can use this system to make a challenge run with a character who is not optimized for his chosen profession.

>*AVGN voice*
Get the FUCK out of my board.

>Morrowind
Standard fixes.
>Oblivion
I'd recommend adding a fast-travel mod - one of the Cyrodiil Travel Services mods. That way you can ignore the ingame thing of "fast-travel anywhere, anytime, no cost" which utterly takes me out of most giant RPGs.

>my board

Attached: 1504290070296.jpg (500x328, 135K)

Thank you friend.

Attached: 1565306037695.png (532x582, 514K)

>skyrim has no stats meme

>2011 graphics

Bethesda, everyone.

Attached: ScreenShot85.jpg (1280x720, 789K)

>average skyrim hater

Are you retarded? The system wouldn't make any sense if you didn't have to pick all of them. If you don't have to pick the negative options, then there simply is no mini-game. As shit of a mechanic as it was, do you really think it would be better to just have "Press A to make character like you more?"

Admit it, you just never figured out how it works.

Don't forget for added laughs the imp staff that gives you like 5 weak ass follower imps that dont help you

Am I the only one who liked this minigame?

NOPE! Luck only added a small boost to skills, specifically 40% of any points above 50 are added as a bonus to all skills for calculation purposes. So fucking nothing.

and not even as a fortify effect, but a base stat bonus. I've debated with myself for way too long on whether luck is even worth raising.

Attached: TKPn.gif (320x180, 777K)

So what is the race for the most OP mage? I kinda wanna play again as a mage, I never did it back in the day

>hmm, players aren't complete retards so I'm sure this little puzzle will make conversation a little fun
Guess they were wrong.

high elf with atronach birthsign
max magika is the only real limiting factor for spellcasters once you get spellcrafting, and you can just get 100% spell absorption to regain

MOMMY!

Can a dunmer for some stealth be use instead?
>max magika is the only real limiting factor for spellcasters once you get spellcrafting
How so? I genuine remember very little of Oblivion systems

>Joke
>"Wow thats a great joke friend"
>I'm gonna break your ankles
>"W-what are you talking about"
>Your eyes are so beautiful
It's not about there being a minigame it's that the aesthetic design of the minigame is retarded and makes your character seem like a crazy person. Besides the minigame itself is so easy they may as well have replaced it with a "press to make character like you" button.

Yeah it’s just really fucking awful

This is actually my favourite lockpicking minigame in any game. The only thing I don't like about it is how you're completely unrestricted from attempting any lock regardless of your Security skill, which makes the Security skill itself completely worthless as you can easily pick a level 100 lock at skill level 5 once you understand how the minigame works.

the only 3 factors that limit spellcrafting are
>Having spells with the properties you want to use
>Having the gold necessary to make the spell
>Having the magicka necessary to cast the spell
Obviously money is no concern past the first 10 hours or so, which also solves the spell knowledge issue.

As for stealth, the only thing a dunmer would really change is your starting skills/attributes. You can simply level sneak and lockpicking early alongside your casting.

It's just bad, period. You need the most luck early in the game, but you barely get any bonuses from that. If you grind to maximize luck, it takes 50 levels at base to get the max bonus of 20 skill points. That takes 20 skill increases per luck point, so by the the time you max luck, you would have gained 1000 skill increases, 500 major and 500 minors, enabling you to maximize 6 of your seven majors, with the last at around 75. By that time, the 20 bonus skills from luck does nothing as most skills cap at 100. Luck doesn't give the perks for high level either, so it's not worth it to level your skills to 80 and let luck do the rest.

TLDR: Luck doesn't matter and is not worth raising.

Never actually understood the system. I'd just bribe or use spells.

nord

The races in Oblivion is designed so that any race can do everything well, so races doesn't really matter.

I loved it

You can max every attribute except for personality because who gives a shit about that dump stat by lvl 36 if you plan your level ups/starting bonuses right
>Theif birthsign, +10 luck
>Custom class, +5 Luck

Attached: example.png (1093x574, 108K)

as it should be

Only brainlets didn't get how this system works

I want to really grind down the awful leveling system in Oblivion to find that build (race+class+birthsign) that enables the lowest max level while still maxing every skill and stat. But I have to wonder what I will get out of it...

Don't forget OCO and Blockhead if you want every character to not look like a baked potato

It's easy to plan out your character, the hard part is sticking to it.
>Male Orc/Redguard for 55 starting Endurance, as HP calculation is not retroactive
>Thief Starsign for Luck, The Lady otherwise
>Custom Class, Endurance and Luck (Or whatever you prefer if ignoring Luck) for favored attributes
>before the final level up, max every skill

Attached: example2.png (467x265, 15K)

>Can't use trainers early on because you don;t have the money
Point at him and laugh boys.

Attached: hqdefault (1).jpg (480x360, 10K)

Add Race Balancing to that to make your race actually matter.

you're a big fat liar

Arena was shit. Daggerfall is the real deal.

Oh, left this out
>Raise attributes in order of lowest base to highest, with endurance being the exception in that it should always be maxed asap

I want stats, but not with dumbass Oblivion leveling. I don't want to be cursed to never be able to max out my willpower/intelligence because I walked too much but didn't cast Unlock at a crate enough hundreds of times.

>vampire drinks blood to lose his powers

Attached: image.png (212x212, 60K)

I'd take this over Fallout 3's system which we've seen in literally every game with a lockpicking system since. I usually just mod that shit straight out of any game that has it, I've probably picked tens of thousands of locks over the years and I can't be bothered any more.

Roleplay is a valid reason though. Like in Morrowind you could beat the main game and the Expansions while barely killing anybody by using calm + intimidate (lowers NPCs fight, low fight makes them permanently friendly.)

Sadly, Oblivion simplified it so that only disposition matters. There's only aggression which sets what level of disposition makes them attack and calm/frenzy are the only ways to modify it. This means a theoretical pacifist character would just need to pump personality as far past 100 as possible to push initial disposition as far as possible, making speechcraft basically useless unless it's at 100 and you fucked something up.

But at least creatures are not automatically hostile compared to Morrowind. With high enough personality even slaughterfish will love you because they all have a hidden disposition amount now.

>as you get thirstier you become more animalistic and better able to tap into vampire powers
It makes enough sense to work as a justification for the gameplay

I think it should be combined with Charisma. It could be explained lorewise as the Gods favoring you. I think it makes more sense training your personality and natural glow vs "training luck." There's a lot of overlap with charismatic people and lucky people. Very little circumstances would show those two conflicting.

Think "Chad build."

What the fuck are you talking about?
This was far better than the Fallout/Skyrim system.
A universe with magic.

>tfw liked that wheel and still see myself talking to random npcs just to build up relationship using that shit

>Some dark elf looking motherfucker called Raziel shows up
Well shit.

>Athletics
t. pleb that doesn't go around jumping everywhere

>why yes, I only play oblivion on the xbox 360, how could you tell?

Attached: 1529102143615.jpg (1068x902, 109K)

nah fag, Skyrim removed less from Oblivion than Oblivion removed from Morrowind. Skyrim was the nail in the coffin but Oblivion was the entire rest of the fucking coffin

>removed hit rate but kept agility
uhhhhh what do we do with agility now?
>bow damage
ok todd
>also stagger resistance so you literally have to level it up on every single character

They probably will. Since the backlash to 4 and 76, the critical perspective of how dumbed down the RPG parts of the games have been getting has started to sink in to the mass market consciousness, and the next game will likely be a reaction to that. Like, it’s not going to go full grognard, we’re never getting a second Morrowind, but it’ll be enough to make a casual fan think “whoa so deep and confusing, I’m such a hardcore gamer nerd for playing this haha”.

>but at least they tried to innovate or do some sort of system where the speech attribute played some roll in persuading people beyond a static number check.
How is that a good thing? Adding a shitty minigame to every little thing that should just be a stat/skill check is fucking stupid. Depending on how skill intensive it is it either trivializes the skill to the point where it might as well not exist (like lockpicking in post Morrowind Bethesda games) or it just adds a shitty minigame you have to do ten thousand fucking times every playthrough that gets boring after the 3rd time you do it.
Literally how is Oblivion's system where spamming "lockpicks 1 gold/each" during the thieves guild recruitment quest for 5 minutes turns lockpicking from a stat that might be useful to a stat that ACTIVELY FUCKING HARMS YOU THE HIGHER IT GETS in any way, shape or form good?

Get Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul for Oblivion to completely unfuck about 80% of the game (besides the dumbing down of stats and skills) and make it actually somewhat challenging but also not "you can't complete the MSQ without cheats if you're over level 30" levels of retarded scaling. Also Unique Landscapes to fix the fact that literally every environment is identical besides the snow one

>fallout 3/nv hacking minigame.jpg
I will unironically just console unlock something if I have enough skill to hack it

They should just do what NV did with speech checks for both lockpicking and speech in TES VI and make it a flat number that you have to outskill to open. Make lockpicking perks affect that number in various ways or something. Or do what Ordinator's Perks does for Skyrim and make lockpicking perks less about making the minigame less tedious and more about making the stuff inside the containers more valuable or letting you craft stealth stuff like bear traps

What are some games where intelligence and magic are not linked with each other? If high intelligence gave you more dialogue options like the old fallout games that'd be a plus.
It's starting to annoy me that fantasy games seem to go high int = mage most of the time.

also made you more likely to win bets in the arena

That's because there's not much else you can apply an Intelligence stat to while still having that stat be worthwhile, but also not overpowered. Fallout has the problem where Intelligence affects how much you get out of level ups which makes it a massively OP stat that everyone wants to pump as much as possible. But if all it does is provide dialogue options then those options have to make a significant difference and be implemented everywhere in the game otherwise you're better off with combat stats.

Nah

>What were they fucking thinking??
They weren't.

Is that fucking Lynda Carter?

fuck off retard

based

I liked it

It doesn't actually reduce stagger resistance. The stagger calculation does not take agility into account at all.

>They will mix all magic schools into one
>They will mix all combat skills into one
>They will mix alchemy, enchanting and smithing into one
>They will mix all armours into one
>They will mix sneaking and lockpicking into one
>Thieving will be the only one untouched because it's Todd's tree.

Yes. She's the spouse of that Zenimax boss Robert A. Altman.

Slap on the Jinxed trait with a 1-Luck build and I think you'll see the error of your ways. Or maybe you'll just be more convinced of you opinion.

>>They will mix all combat skills into one
Not necessarily a bad thing if they replace it with something that makes sense. In Oblivion you are essentially using a mace and a sword in the same way, so it is retarded that the corresponding skills are separated.

>They will mix all magic schools into one
I wouldn't mind removing magic schools if they are replaced with something related to your birthsign and/or the god(s) you follow.

What do you mean it harms you the higher it gets?

Oblivion without potatoheads is just wrong

Oh, that must be an FCOM thing then.
Leveling noncombat skills in vanilla oblivion makes the game more difficult because of the retarded level scaling impelementation. The more you let your leveling of useless and/or noncombat skills outpace your combat skills, the more enemies start to automatically outlevel you.
If you end up level 10 from leveling lockpicking, atheltics, acrobatics, and sneak, the game is going to be shitting minotaurs at you constantly and you'll have no way to deal with them (besides running away lmao)
Lockpicking in Oblivion is literally the most useless skill to ever exist that does something. So leveling it doesn't do anything except make enemies scale higher than you for every extra level up you gain from it.

The worst thing in Morrowind is that some spells can render skills useless.
Open and Telekinesis are much more useful for picking locks than actually levelling lockpicking. Why waste time on Sneak when you could just cast a spell of Chameleon or Invisibility. Why waste time and money on archery when you the whole Destruction skill is just shooting damaging orbs? What's the point of unarmed when you could just make a drain fatigue spell? Acrobatics is way less useful than Jump or Levitate.
Who needs speechcraft if you could make a 1sec spell to increase personality?

>"Press A to make character like you more?"
That was what they did in Morrowind.

Oh talk tough to me. I like tough guys!

So you're angry that the game actually lets you play as a full wizard without needing to dip into other skills.

I'm not angry, wizards just have too much utility.
Anyone not proficient enough with Alteration has to carry lockpicks with them to open doors and chests. A wizard just casts Open, you can get one spell at 30, 50, 70 and 100 and cover all locks.
Or you could just buy a scroll to open.
Do you want to taunt that dude over there? Either spend actual hours training speechcraft or make a custom spell "Fortify Speechcraft".
There are so many skills you only need for a very limited timeframe like barter, sneak, sprechcraft or not at all. Want to go fast? Fortify Athleticism and regenerate stamina. Or use Jump. Or Levitate.
Some effects like Lock are exclusive too.
Or just break the game with Alchemy.

That's half the appeal. If you make a character that doesn't use those various abilities, you need a reason why. It opens up roleplaying opportunity.

>it opens up roleplaying opportunity to completely disregard a skill which would have enough tools to overcome an obstacle in itself
Using the magic spell or a scroll is the optimal solution for an already overpowered playstyle. Same with Charm spells, why even bother raising it if you could just cast a very basic spell before any encounter you needed it.

>Oof ouch ooh look at these distant textures as i take 11 dicks up my ass oof ouch owie ow

People were too busy trying to create landscapes worth exploring and improving the cities, combat and enemy variety. Also titty mods, donut steel races and sharingan eyes.