Blair Witch

youtube.com/watch?v=51ONlU6qZwk&Really, not a single thread on this? I mean, I watched an hour or so of gameplay and I felt scared once or twice, but what's Yea Forums's take on it? Also, how do we save the horror genre?

Attached: download (2).jpg (1280x720, 156K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Shadows:_Blair_Witch_2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's fun as fuck, combat is terrible tho,
Its yes, the meme of a slow burn, but it has highly tense fast paced sections. It's fun.
... I just really wish you were forced to use a handgun too. Would be nice, for a little bit of survival.

It's a walking simulator that you can finish in 4-5 hours. Forest looks and sounds great but that's about it.

>It's fun as fuck
How fun is it to do nothing but walk forward?

>use a handgun too
So you want to turn it into a first person shooter?

they spend way too much time in the house at the end. probably a quarter of the game is set there and it really sucks since they beat the plottwist you already figured out a hour into the gameover your head for two hours.

I hated the endings. Both of them are bad. You either die or you become a slave to the witch.

Its western what did you expect?

Gonna have to echo this sentiment. Good game, reminds me a lot like Outlast 2, but I get the feeling they were really trying to justify the play-time.

>Game based on a movie about getting lost in a never-ending forest
>It's completely linear
How do games this garbage get made? How does no one on the dev team realize that this shit will be trash and won't sell.

Attached: The Pit.jpg (645x729, 81K)

Same. At first I thought "Oh fuck it's THE house. This should be good and spooky." But the shit got dragged on. All the rooms and corridors looked the same.

I feel like if it didn't have the stick figures and the house you wouldn't even be able to tell it was Blair Witch game. All of the war flashbacks felt really out of place an unnecessary. There are monsters and killer piles of leaves(?) for some reason. None of the spookiness of getting lost in the woods since you always have a clear path. Also, they ruined the house section

It fucking sucks.

Blair Witch in name only. There is barely any of the Blair Witch's lore in the game. Thrown in SPOOKY TREE MONSTERS for no good reason. Stupid antagonist wild man bullshit thrown in. Stupid PTSD war shit being the backbone of the game. No mention of Rustin Parr. One mention of the students in the first film. The Parr House at the end is a stupid twisty turny maze.

The game should've been about some inquisitive motherfucker and a couple friends who read about the Blair Witch, heard about what happened to the kids and decided to investigate for his own sake. Sure, fucking bring the dog too, why not. Cut out the tree monster shit. Play on the paranoia of the player. Less of the over-the-top scenes of war bullshit and focus more on getting lost in a damn forest with sounds that come out at you at night. Then, end it in the fucking Parr House, exactly like the movie. Credits roll. Would've made this shit 8/10 at least.

Attached: 1556688015621.gif (300x250, 56K)

>The game should've been about some inquisitive motherfucker and a couple friends who read about the Blair Witch, heard about what happened to the kids and decided to investigate for his own sake.
That's the story of the second movie.

reminds me that stupid little slenderman game minus the openness and genuine spooks

It seems pretty shit, I've watched most of it very recently and I felt practically zero fear outside of a slightly elevated heartbeat at 1 or 2 parts. I felt more emotion when the dog got hurt than anything else desu. Really does seem like they just slapped the name on it so it'd stand out better than "Lost in the forest PTSD walking sim"

The story of the second movie was a guy looking for his sister, heather, in the woods like 20 years after being lost there. He wasn't inquisitive about the Blair Witch, he wanted to find his sister.

I'm talking full on near recreation of the first movie, only with different dialogue, characters and situations.

That's the third movie. The second movie Book of Shadows.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Shadows:_Blair_Witch_2

I really feel like Bloober Team simply don't know how to make something tense or scary. You always feel complete safe in their games while they throw stupid looping/morphing environments at you. They should stop trying to make horror games. The mystery solving style of Observer was a much better fit for them.

You know, I've never seen book of shadows. I'm going to have to remedy that.

I stand by what I said, though. The game sucked.

Attached: image0 (1).jpg (2048x2048, 426K)

Dog dies?

No it always survives. Think they did that so they wouldn't get review bombed.

Book of Shadows is a flawed movie but still kinda interesting. There is a good write up on the internet about how studio meddling messed up the great ideas they had for the movie

Nope

>I watched an hour or so of gameplay and I felt scared once or twice
Not attacking you, but how does a person watch a youtube let's play and feel scared? If I'm playing there's tension because I can fuck up, but what sort of risk is there to you to cause fear from a video of game play?

Observer was actually okay as far as walking sims go. Not many games do body horror the way Observer did, which I appreciate.

Doesn't look ANYTHING like Blair Witch, how they got away with this

The movie freaked me out. They go into the forest and the blair witch is maniuplating the forest itself? How come they never able to get out?

Why did the drone fail? Does the creature warp time as well? I was spooked watching it

Apply what you just said to a horror movie

It's actual fucking garbage. The plot focuses on the wrong things and has pretty much no actual moments of terror.
The house wasn't fucking scary, it was a test of patience. It's like they looked at PT but didn't understand an ounce of why that shit worked.

The witch warps time, reality, and can create illusions. You can never leave the forest.

I hate that shit, when games try to copy PT. basically they're thinking "LOL JUST MAKE IT LOOP AMIRITE?? SO SCARY"

fuck PT clones.

But weren't they able to get the tape from his sister?

I really liked it, but the very end was dumb, like you know not to look at the monster and you even say it but at the very end you look at it and end up dying even though you knew it was fake and baiting you to look

Still 8 out of 10 though for me

It's rarely explained how the footage was found. That's the thing with "found footage" horror genre.

I can't remember if it was the original or the 2016, but in one of them it shows police finding tapes in the rubble of the Parr house

I think the problem with the horror genre is that the audience is too smart.
Not in the sense of intelligence, but the general population has become tech enabled media gluttons who can see through common story telling elements and production tricks which disassociates people from the events taking place on screen.
It could have been my younger age manipulating my views, but I feel that before computers were commonplace, most people would watch movies less often and weren't concerning themselves with the setup just taking in the story for what it was.

Despite all that, the horror genre needs to present some sort of legitimate risk and give you a poor/limited means to defend yourself. This doesn't come down to just running and hiding because it gives you the opportunity to learn the enemy. Darkwood gets it right because you rarely see the things that will kill you for most of the game and if you do see them then you're probably about to get fucked hard.

I love you user

Sorry hit you by mistake.

This
was in response to OP

I agree. I also would have liked if it had you actually 'sleep' in the forrest, and wake up at night to investigate, the twig blair witches, etc. It could have been so much better,

>ptsd protagonist in a Blair Witch game

what the fuck were they thinking?

I kind of wonder if they had that character and story ready for a game unrelated to Blair Witch until they got that license. Just seems really weird

Yea Forums, at least the vocal part of it, seems to hate walking simulators with a passion.
Blair Witch is a walking sim.
Likewise they aren't talking about Man of Medan, or any of the amazing walking sims like Firewatch etc.

The puzzles are kinda fun, and dog petting sim.
>not making it so ammos low and you sometimes have to force yourself out of killing yourself.
Faggot.

I'm going to assume you're just retarded and not trolling, but the original Blair Witch film had non-linear geometry and looping back to where you started as a key plot point. PT didn't invent the idea of looping areas.

I took that as the witch allowing something to get out in order to bait more people to come into the woods to investigate.

>omg it was you all along
>omg you become what you are feared/hated
Fuck off with this obvious and repetitive twist

>Man of Medan is Clunky Quick Time Simulator
>Blair Witch is Repetitive Walking Simulator
Truly shitty year for horror vidya

Wasn't there some lore videos that came with the movie? I watched them on demand a long time ago and can't find them anywhere. I think it mentioned something about some missing kids.

No fucking balls. It's only a mutt, why do people get so asspained over them dying in video games jfc.

Shame. The dog's death could serve as a punishment if you shit at the game.

The original movie? There was a documentary that aired on TV called Curse of the Blair Witch

That has to be it, thank you.