SOUND IN VIDEOGAMES

SOUND IN VIDEOGAMES.

Why has it mostly stagnated, or even been downgraded for so long? Specially compared to visuals and physics.

>its just not very marketable, people don't care

bullshit. People talk about the amazing sound design of Bad Company 2 to this day, and how every sequel has been a huge downgrade from that. Good sound can elevate the experience in a huge way, but most devs just play safe.

Just listen to this and tell me it doesn't completely change the experience: youtu.be/MQt1jtDBNK4?list=FLe-CzlFib4TN6GcM3KLfqPw&t=195

Attached: 1552655488630.jpg (720x900, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B2iZC8xxRiw
youtube.com/watch?v=dyym4oXUmTo
youtu.be/FD0h-s6NUeM?t=14858
youtu.be/rniukPhgptU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I like how Demon's Souls has that atmospheric sound of wind, birds, sea waves in a distance, fire crackling, echo etc (depending on the stage). Dark Souls was a massive downgrade, most areas are just silent, or not as atmospheric as Demon's Souls...

Attached: DeadKnightKeyArt.jpg (4236x5514, 1.98M)

post games with good ambient sound

Attached: 2018.11.17-03.14.png (1920x1080, 3.61M)

youtube.com/watch?v=B2iZC8xxRiw

here's some sound user

Attached: 155035855866421.jpg (1080x1080, 384K)

Nobody ever mentions this but most of the Sony first-party cinematic PS4 games have really terrific sound design and will let you configure them for a surround sound system if you have the setup for it. Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, God of War and TLOU Remastered I can all personally vouch for as the best sounding games I've ever played

This is true. I guess when you want 'cinematic' you get the sound right. Also RDR2 has probably the best sound of any game I've played.

Attached: 1563335400456.jpg (1125x1101, 151K)

because fiat currency is trash that retains less and less purchasing power as time goes on and near it's end that loss of purchasing power becomes exponential which is why video games are becoming shittier and shittier as the years go by

Attached: this_is_your_god.jpg (480x360, 8K)

Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm had really great sound design. From the soldier voice commands (except in English) to the guns firing to the explosions booming to the bullets whizzing by to the brutal death screams, it was all perfect

retard

it's a fact

No one gives it credit, but RE4 ambient sound: youtube.com/watch?v=dyym4oXUmTo

Attached: Pueblo.jpg (1920x1370, 577K)

Most people play on shitty stock HDTV speakers and not through sound systems. The average consumer isn't going to notice or care. That said, sound design should be a big concern as it impacts immersion sometimes more than graphics.

Bullshit. The gaming industry has grown tremendously and there are way more people buying games nowadays than there were in the past. It costs devs almost nothing to make new copies to sell to these new customers, which more than offsets the inflation factor.
When they sell people digital versions, they don't even have to worry about used game sales making a dent in their profits.

If you've never heard it, SOMA has some of the best sound design in any game I've ever heard. Godlike footstep noises.
youtu.be/FD0h-s6NUeM?t=14858

>consoles don't have a built in P2
>can't connect my Sennheiser Headphones without adapters

its the only thing I ask of the next gen of consoles...

it could work if not for that background music on 11

People would care more but they don't notice enough to start caring
Lots of casuals play games on consoles, and thus on TVs with shitty speakers around other people walking and talking

Even if people do have good sound systems, I have a few friends who put their own music on over whatever it is they're playing. I think they're assholes because sound design and music is one of the most important things for me for media. Subnautica comes to mind as a game where the sound was the best part of it.

teh worst aprt is how much worse new FPS games have gotten
like quake 3 arena has perfect positional sound but quack chumpions is absolutely terrible and you cant even tell if shit is above you or below you

How about having good soundtracks instead of making shit soundtracks that are covered by other sounds?

I i feel this but for CS.
how come CSGO has all this fancy 3D sound technology and 1.6 is clearer?

youtu.be/rniukPhgptU

Listen to around 4:11:00. It's so good. Music doesn't play that much, either

Not sure what you're talking about. 5.1/7.1 support only became standard last generation, and sounds did get a lot more accurate and detailed.

Bad Company 2 has amazing sound design because it's ridiculously exaggerated. It's not realistic, but it's not trying to be. Instead, it sounds overpowering. Every gun simulated "blowing out" your speakers and it's extremely loud and chaotic, but like the transition from exterior to interior is completely unrealistic.

Later Battlefield games did have more realistic sound (which a lot of the times meant guns were punier sounding than their ridiculous cannon effects in BC2), and incorporated effects like hearing the supersonic crack of a bullet depending on your angle relative to its trajectory.

So the fact that you care about sound but didn't notice this kind of thing demonstrates why advancements in sound aren't marketable per se.

Nigger post more Claire?!

GTA San Andreas has the worst gun sound effects I've ever heard. I still remember firing the pistol for the first time and thinking "wtf is this shit!?"

I don't think anyone here is making an argument for ''realistic'' sound, specially when no game in the BF series is even close to being a simulator. In fact, a Battlefield game with realistic sound and proportion of volume would make players half deaf.

the hi fidelity and dynamic volume bullshit probably

sounds lack punch now compared to when everything was on a few channels at full volume

games with good sound allow you to change the dynamic range in the game options

Speaking of which, RE2R had pretty shitty sounds especially for the guns

Attached: claire redfield.jpg (1080x1920, 484K)

Audio mixing in games is terrible. The worst offenders this gen in my experience are Metro Exodus and Final Fantasy 15. At some points it's impossible to hear what characters are saying without subtitles.

>Audio mixing in games is terrible.
not all games

>still quietly BTFOs modern games after 20 years

Attached: Thief_The_Dark_Project_boxcover.jpg (280x357, 12K)

It hasn't stagnated. You're just ignorant. Go read developer diaries from various studios where they talk about sound design in detail.

That's by choice. They want you to turn your volume up ridiculously loud. It's a stupid traight that's been borrowed from Hollywood sound design.

>its not bad, look, the devs say its good!

Attached: 1538832461839.jpg (400x396, 28K)

Audio design and playback is very complex, and extremely difficult to reproduce in different rooms with different audio gear, and with different headphones. On top of that, it takes a good imagination and a good ear to make sound effects. Because of this, good sound design is locked into big budget games, and/or studios that have a lot of talent in that department. Most games don't prioritize it because it's difficult, expensive, and time consuming to do it well.

> Bad Company 2
Literally what

>Literally what
I believe he said "Bad Company 2"

Game with amazing sound design? Deus Ex MD

Attached: MD.jpg (450x800, 74K)