What are Yea Forums's favorite RTS games?

What are Yea Forums's favorite RTS games?

Attached: Death of the RTS.jpg (1280x720, 382K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/MZtytj8c77o
youtube.com/watch?v=raXWFH4aOTw
youtube.com/watch?v=J675BQaIuQs
giantbomb.com/images/1300-599843
youtube.com/watch?v=MnDJOm1J_Vk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

who is veee?

The one I've played by far the most is Age of Empires + Rise of Rome, and I think the only ones I've played apart from that, in descending order of play time, are Dawn of War + Dark Crusade, Tiberium Wars and Rise of Legends. Not a big RTS player at all.

Heaven & Hell of course

the protagonist of cyberpunk 2077

Field of Glory Empires right now even tho it'sturn based.

Mah nigga, beautiful game but shame not a lot of people played it

I've played an unbelievable amount of time with Stronghold Crusader.

Company of Heroes 2. Also this .

Been playing tons of Galactic Battlegrounds lately. Mostly as the Republic

What's that one in the top left?

Dawn of War 3

Shit.

Generals: Zero Hour

Attached: 2869-dungeon-keeper-dos-front-cover.jpg (784x944, 164K)

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance Forever.

Obviously.

For me, It's Rise of Nations. The best RTS ever made.

Battle for the Middle Earth 2
Gotta love dropping some drakos and killing everyone

My favorites are SupCom, CoH2, Brood War, and Warcraft 3.

Tiberian Sun

is Creeper World series considered an RTS?

Brood War, honorable mentions for C&C3 and WC3. I feel like a pleb for saying popular games but they really are fucking great games

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour
Cossacks: back to war \ Cossacks 3
Napoleon Total War with NTW3 mod
Wargame: Red Dragon

Rise of legends is better.

I honestly kind of like Battle for Middle Earth 1 more. If only because the campaign is so much better and I prefer the building pads.

I only play 2 multiplayer with my dad, I really don't remember playing the first one

Homeworld and Rise of Legends,never was a fan of blizzard rts

I have to many RTS games I love.

CNC series
DUNE series
ACT OF WAR
Original war
Warzone2100
Company of heroes 1.2
Sudden strike
So many more.

It's great. Easily one of my all time favourite RTS campaigns.

Multiplayer is fun, but unbalanced as fuck. Good races are WAY stronger than evil ones.

I spent by far the most time on Starcraft 1, and now SC2.
I don't play any other RTS on the internet, but I greatly enjoy playing campaigns or building bases against the AI, like Stronghold.

Same. I tried getting into Starcraft 2 online for a while. But it never really stuck. They always just feel like action games rather than strategy games.

It's an incredibly in depth strategy game online, it's just very different to the campaign

There is a stupid amount of depth, I know. But at first, it honestly just feels like a action game based around who can click on the most things the fastest. .

Campaign is amazing though. Useless for teaching you how to play the game online, but amazing.

I wish more people played brood war so I don't constantly get my shit pushed in by skilled players

I can't play Starcraft 1 to save my life. The unit limit is too just much of a hassle for me to deal with. Same reason why I never got into Warcraft 1 despite loving Warcraft 2.

Rise of Nations & Legends, it's sad that the series went mobile. If anyone knows recent 4X RTSs that focus less on the military side of things similar to how Civilization is for TBSs I'd like to know.

unit limit as in how many you can select at once? yeah, and no subgroups for spellcasters. the ancient interface is kind of funny to work around though

Warcraft III and Starcraft (for the campaign and custom maps).
Stronghold Crusader.
Command and Conquer Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge. (My favorite in the series, but Tiberian Sun, Kane's Wrath, and Zero Hour are all good.)
Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2: Rise of the Witch King (with the unofficial balance patch).
Age of Empires (1, 2, Mythology, and 3).
Company of Heroes (1 and 2).
Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends.
Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander 2: Forged Alliance.
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War (Winter Assault, Dark Crusader, and Soulstorm).
Kohan (1, Ahriman's Gift, and 2).

Honorable mention to Total War, Shogun 2 and Warhammer (1 and 2) in particular.

Attached: 1550218639924.jpg (346x480, 57K)

Have you tried starcraft 2 coop?
It's like campaign missions with 2 vs AI. Lots of fun mechanics among the commanders.

Rise of legends is my favorite 3 races were super unique + lots of different technology paths to make playing the same race multiple times fun (especially the clockwerk faction getting a choice between a super worker or a super sniper soldier that functioned as a mini hero was great). Pains me seeing the concept art for the expansion faction that never released.

Attached: rol_exp_concept.jpg (949x960, 163K)

Starcraft 2, have over 15k multiplayer games played and I never get tired of the game, playing it since early 2011.

Race?

AoE2, Sudden Strike Forever, Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes

> still no age of mythology

youtu.be/MZtytj8c77o

Attached: file.png (475x265, 212K)

Started with zerg, then got bored because they were OP as fuck ( blord-infestor era), then I decided to play random but wanted to learn each race individually, so I tried terran and once I got diamond, started with toss, and when I got dia as toss, started playing random. Im about 4000-4200mm, with zerg a bit more, but currently my mmr dropped because I barely can play and I'm rusty as fuck so when I can I just play unranked.

>I am Kenji of the Serpent clan, and my ancestor broke the world.

Attached: Kenji.jpg (600x1058, 52K)

There are only 3 that I really enjoy. Age of empires 1, Age of Mythology and Warcraft 3. I’m really looking foward to Warcraft reforged and Age of empires 4

hey i'm a time traveller from 2016 and i'm realy looking forward to dawn of war 3. trailer was so fucking good

Supreme commander will always be the best RTS that I know of. Those twitchy starcraft clones and micromanagement games aren't my cup of tea.

How shit is Age IV inevitably going to be?

Attached: 1564021358750.jpg (800x600, 140K)

That's because they're the Quake of RTS games. Brainless, no actual strategy required and all about performing repetitive tasks as fast as possible.

Well this thread turned to shit

Supcom
Battle Realms
Earth series, though I prefer 2150 over 60.

Reminder that Swan's Pool is best song.
youtube.com/watch?v=raXWFH4aOTw

I didn't even know there was a planned expansion. Just fuck my shit up.

Attached: 1544050505054.png (500x500, 155K)

I know that it's just reskinned AoE2 but it's still fun to me as well

What is it that makes Supreme Commander praised as such an amazing RTS? I'm not trying to defend Starcraft, I also think it's twitchy and a nightmare of rapid clicking, but I've played Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance and it didn't quite click for me why so many people love it so much.

did they include city builders in dome if those numbers

List of games in the screenshot?

Does Total War count as an RTS?
If so then Warhammer Total War 2.

age of wonders 2 and the expansion.
There is now a new age of wonders called "Planet fall" . you might want to check it out.

Did you get a good grasp of the economy system? That's the biggest hurdle to get over before the game really becomes fun. Once you've figured it out then everything else starts to fall in place.

It's not my favorite, but it was absolutely top-tier and had a great ost.

Warcraft 2
Warcraft 3
StarCraft
Age of empires 2

>The best campaign is age of empires 2
>The best multiplayer is Warcraft 3, or it was in it's prime

This It starts off seeming like a chore, but with practice and learning how to use the goat assist/reclaim options it becomes seamless

>tfw they fucked up trying to make BR2 by making it a card game
what a fuck up, even a battle royale HD would makes me happy

>Top row
Dawn of War 3
Age of Empire 2
Men of War: Assault Squad 2
Starcraft

>Bottom row
Red Alert 2
Populous
Dune
Stronghold

thanks

It was probably always going to be shit no matter what to be fair. They failed to port BR to steam.

>The best campaign is age of empires 2

*blocks your path*

Attached: R̸̙̅̈́͂͘Ḙ̶̙̖͊M̸̓̈́͊̌͜Ò̴͈̭̥̔̈́͝V̸̨̘̜̲͆̏Ę̸̻̤͍̐̋͌̿D̸͂.jpg (1280x720, 68K)

Honestly I did kind of struggle to grasp how to make use of the system. I should get back into it and play around with it some more because it was an interesting an unique thing that I haven't seen elsewhere. I've been in an RTS mood lately so I'm sure I'll realize what makes SupCom special when I try it again.

Age of Empires
Close Combat III
Settlers 4
Earth 2150: The Moon Project
Red Alert 2

Pretty sure that's AoE 1, not 2.
The armour looks more Roman than middle ages

Total Annihilation didn’t make the cut? I know it’s ancient SupCom, but it’s always been comfy to me. Especially with mods.

AoE2

Daily reminder that Britons, Teutons, Byzantines and Huns are noob bait civs

is stronghold good? looks comfy

If you want to play around with a similar system while also playing a gud game, try Total Annihilation, it's the game SupCom is an indirect sequel to.

Don't they all see play at a pretty high level?

It's a screenshot from the Definitive edition.

Both Dawn of War and Warlords battlecry series.

Attached: WARLORDS-BATTLECRY-III-Battle-Cry-3-Strategy.jpg (381x400, 53K)

Tiberian Sun is probably my all time favorite
I've fallen into the wargaming autism zone though

>try to play Steel Division 2
>end up just going back to Graviteam instead

>doesn't even post the best Homworld

Attached: tonks.jpg (1600x900, 336K)

Britons and Huns yes, the other 2 no.
The catch is that Britons, Byzantines and Teutons fall into the 'wall up and turtle category' for noobs, which makes them weak when an actual good players knows how to properly disrupt a boom and break a turtling
Hunwhores are basically 1 trick pony, scout rush into knights or CAs, anything besides that and they fall appart.

t. 4000 hours

Red Alert 2

Cataclysm was gud, but 1 had a better campaign fren.
nuKaran a cute

Attached: Screenshot_20190902-142544.jpg (938x1169, 456K)

Play Zero-K

The only RTS I've played has been Empire Earth. I enjoyed it and the online was fun back in the day, especially with custom scenarios.

I wish they would do another tank sim.

Rise of Nations might not be the best balanced or most competitivr but it's my fav.

Age of Empires 2 is literally the first vidya I've ever played, still my favourite game. I wish AoE 1 was this polished but it's a good game on its own
Dawn of War Dark Crusade and C&C Generals are other favourites of mine and I still can't get over the fact DoW3 is fucking trash
Will we ever see another golden age for RTS games?
I wish I didn't suck at it, maybe I'll pick it up again soon or later

Attached: 1554085241998.png (428x424, 124K)

Excuse me, gentlemen.

Attached: 814650-938138_20070810_001.jpg (1280x720, 357K)

I like Teutonic Knights cause their capes look cool

t. 5 hours

Some tips then, the basic gist of the system is supply and demand. So long as you have more income than you are spending you will always have maximum build efficiency. You do however have reserves in the form of storage meaning you can afford to be spending more than your income so long as they aren't empty. The penalties for not meeting your resource demand while building can be offset by assigning more engineers to the project. Good players will often go into the red on their economy for a few minutes to finish a big project earlier than if they prepared their economy for it properly. Reclaiming is super important all game but especially early on and will give you the mass boost needed to upgrade your extractors to be able to support your base without it.

>Will we ever see another golden age for RTS games?
no
the requirements just aren't there anymore

Based and redpilled

Fuck, I forgot about Age of Mythology
Speaking of that, is the Extended Edition worth buying? It got patched recently
Also is it true that it's based on a fucking beta build?

Thats fine, just be aware that if you ever get in real online matches, TKs are not really viable, unless you get 60 elite TKs into siege towers, which is fair enough

>scope cleaned and mounted

Attached: Gen1_Pathfinder_Icons.png (120x96, 25K)

I only played rts's as a kid on Windows 98, and even then it was just to build up bases and a huge army on an easy bot. If anyone remembers in aoe1 the mission where you are a monk and you have to go convert a local populace then beat an army to the top, I played that or skirmish only. Then as well I played some red alert and tiberium wars. My favourite rts was battle for middle earth, think it was out around 05 I used to go to the lan cafe to play with my brother, funny enough I preferred the simplicity of 1 as a kid, I liked having a set base in that game

SupComFA>>>AOE2>SC2>SupCom2, Honeworld, SoaSE>everything else

It's not RTS, it's tycoon. Liked it, though.

I'm not going to be original - DoW + DC, patched SS and finally Apocalypse mod. Also Myth 1/2 if these count.

Tell that to one who thought Byzantines were god tier because of cataphracts and cheap trash units
Really, they're not bad but there are way better options out there
I remember losing a 2 hours game with a bro because of this fuckers
I didn't knew you could kill the guys inside the GLA SAM nests and I discovered it the worst way possible
Apocalypse mod is too much of a mess imho, I prefer Titanium Wars(probably dead now)

Definitely it's not the best RTS but it will always hold special place in my heart. Good times when Electronic Arts logo was seal of quality.

Attached: populous3-5.jpg (800x600, 115K)

>Apocalypse mod is too much of a mess imho
This is exactly what made it good. Try holding frigging Necro forces with IG while waiting for goddamn Baneblade to build

Dunno, it feels bloated with a lot of redundant units and a clear tier system that feels out of place in dow. I like the titanium wars mod much better honestly, even though it also has its issues. (Im not the same user, also i think the last release was this year maybe)

That does clear up a bit of my confusion, thanks. The game never really explains the interactions all that well like the value of draining everything just to finish something or using the reclaiming mechanic.

youtube.com/watch?v=J675BQaIuQs
Why no one plays Homeworld Remastered multiplayer anymore? :(

I'm a big fan of Star Wars: Empire at War. The core game is a pretty mediocre 4X with real time battles and the space combat is far better than the ground combat. However, the game also has a skirmish mode where the whole thing becomes an RTS where you actively build units and upgrade things on battle map which I think is much more fun. The IP really helps, but the space combat skirmish mode is a lot of fun even if you ignore the Star Wars license.

Different guy, but I liked the Apocalypse mod just because it captured the feel of the universe better. I didn't feel that it was particularly tactical, but damn is it enjoyable to have those large and flavourful armies blast each other. It's more of a fun and cinematic experience than a complex RTS experience in my mind but I'm also pretty shit at base DoW so I may not have the best opinion.

SunAge
Tzar Burden of the crown
Lord of the realms 2
All the Dune games
Total Annihilation
SC1
World in Conflict
Supreme Ruler 2020

because remastered is garbage and 3 is going to be worse

Eh, different mods for different people. I get the appeal, and i think Apocalypse has some cool and fluffy ideas, like space marines being ridiculously ideas. Its just a matter r of taste, i think they are both very impressive works.

You do know what "RTS" means, right?

Attached: 1555078262836.jpg (600x450, 42K)

WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO ACT

remastered got fixed and 3 will be either a dumpster fire or passable. Blackbird seems to have more control over the project going by promotional materials, but G*arbox will undoubtedly fuck it up to some degree. Hype is at 5/10 4me, especially since I feel nothing but resignation about VtMB2 and CP2077, despite both being things I've dreamed of since I was an underageb&, let alone seeing gameplay from both in the same year fucking HW3 was announced

YES MY LORD

Attached: knightsofhonor.jpg (800x1128, 335K)

Find a fucking flaw.

Attached: 124282-supreme-commander-forged-alliance-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x1108, 189K)

>games for windows

Big SC vibes from this indie.

Attached: Zero-K_Main_Menu.jpg (3840x2160, 818K)

Is the economy system the same as TA/SC?

Pikmin is a rts game?

I used to love these games now I feel like I don't even have time to play a single campaign mission.

I think you could definitely make an argument for them being RTS. That being said, they're pretty different from your average RTS. Great games nonetheless.

2 > 1 > 3

There can be only one

Attached: WC3.jpg (600x418, 85K)

I think you have a case there. It certainly has other elements to it like puzzles and action, but you do have to control units and it's about managing and strategically using those units. Still, as much as I love Pikmin it feels weird to say that Pikmin is one of the best RTS series.

2 is objectively the best game of the bunch.

Not particularly, but it is a dual metal/energy type of economy.

Just random favorites from childhood to current in no order.
Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge
Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
Planetary Annihilation TITANS
Supreme Commander (for 360)
Halo Wars 1 and 2
Could anyone recommend me more RTS based off of those choices?? I'm excited to try remastered AoE and Warcraft

GOAT Total War game. Don't @ me.

Attached: 78049-medieval-ii-total-war-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x1110, 172K)

Sins of a Solar Empire. My most played rts by far.

Attached: 20180211072735_1.jpg (1600x900, 245K)

I'm with you on that. I was actually disappointed when I got Shogun II because it had so many differences in mechanics to Medieval II. I think that's one of the last of the older style Total War games and it feels like they became more "gamey" and less feeling like it was at least trying to get some historical simulation in there. I like having leaders that are retarded due to random rolls rather than being able to upgrade them to all be awesome damn it!

How do I get good at Warcraft 3?

I liked that DS game with the legos
does any one have any good modded factions that they would like to share?

Unbelievably based user right here.

all blizzards rts

The only thing I don't like about old rts games is that you can't play it on high resolution on a modern monitor because it'll basically display the whole map at once and everything will be too fucking small.

Age of Mythology.

That's the big brain micromanager way to play though

Honestly the way I usually fix it is just set the game resolution to something smaller than my monitor then blow it up to fullscreen.

I play user, and I do enjoy getting my shit kicked in by skilled players.

It was okay. It sacrificed complexity while the new things it introduced were very simple and shallow

One of my all-time favorites. I've never played another game like it. My only complaint is that I think you fight other dungeon keepers/monsters in too many missions and not enough fighting heroes.

As in to currently play\watch?

Play: Starcraft remastered.

Watch: Warcraft 3, Starcraft 2, Dawn of War 2.

I love Brood War but I'm horrible at it. Can hardly even finish some of the campaign missions. I also love Stronghold and Empire at War but only the space battles.

>Dawn of War 2
>not Soulstorm, DC or Ultimate Apocalypse
>Only other recommendations are Blizzard titles
Holy shit just shut up.

why are you spoilering the fact that you love an incredibly good RTS? Empire at War is fantastic, especially now with its modding community

my man
the atmosphere was something else

Not my favorite, but this one is pretty good.

Attached: 403985-firefly-studios-stronghold-crusader-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x1131, 282K)

Dawn of war 2 multiplayer is really good. Good players make it really interesting.

What's the best starting game for a newbie?

I rarely check in on Yea Forums nowadays but I vaguely remember Empire at War was generally disliked here. Guess I was wrong? And yeah, I'm so glad EaW gets as much love as it does from its modding community. It's one of the few RTS games that I bought on launch and still play to this day.

>watch
gtfo with your cuck mentality

stay strong, brother

>BUILDING....
>CONSTRUCTION COMPLETE
>BUILDING....
>CONSTRUCTION COMPLETE
>BUILDING....
>CONSTRUCTION COMPLETE
>BUILDING....
>CONSTRUCTION COMPLETE
>BUILDING....
>CONSTRUCTION COMPLETE
>BUILDING....
>CONSTRUCTION COMPLETE
>BUILDING....
>CONSTRUCTION COMPLETE

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 35K)

I love Sins.

and I love the Hoshiko's phase lane jump audio
>Powering up phase drive, stand by

Stronghold: Crusader is very comfy. The AI are simple in gameplay, but they're funny enough. The Scribe is always commenting on what's going on, and your peasants will give you their opinions if you click on them. Clicking on most buildings will show a neat little video of something going on at the building. The gameplay itself is great. The city-building isn't as complicated as in dedicated city-builders, but you do get to make a custom castle+ the RTS portion isn't neglected. The peasants aren't just visuals— if a woodcutter dies while carrying raw wood, you have to wait for a new woodcutter to reach the old one's work hut and go cut more, then turn it into planks before bringing it back to the castle.

I had Warlords Battlecry III running just fine on my Win10 computer at some point, but now it runs at half speed or slower. I can't find the right compatibility settings.

the ones with good soundtracks

How the hell did this game even get made, Yea Forums? THQ basically gave Taylor a AAA budget for an RTS game, a genre with an inherently niche demographic. Not only that, but we got a full stand alone expansion in the same year.

Attached: 245576-supreme-commander-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x690, 115K)

Is total war a rts?

Yes, they're a hybrid between RTS and grand strategy, but they mostly lean towards RTS. They have more in common with the games post ITT than something like Victoria II.

The single player campaign ends with a cliffhanger / very short tease of the faction for more suffering good compilation of the art here: giantbomb.com/images/1300-599843

Why are Eugen's games getting no love here? Where are my /k/ommandos at?
and are the only posts mentioning them this far and no one's mentioned R.U.S.E. yet (though to be fair, it's not on steam so I can see why it's not popular here)

But anyway, if you count Wargame: Airland Battle and Wargame: Red Dragon as one game, then they're probably in my top 5 most played games. DoW:SS with the Closer to Codex mod is up there as well.

Was 11 when I would ally with the sardaukar, spam build them and roll the fuck out of the enemy base. Harkonnen had the best faction soundtrack, but Ordos is autist master race.

Attached: emp.jpg (800x969, 133K)

Also, has anyone played Grey Goo? I'm thinking of buying it the next time it's on sale, because I like the goo mechanic.

Uhhh pls don't judge me but can anyone recommend an rts or rts-lite console game? I don't have a PC atm so I can't boot up anything from my steam library :c

Rolling with a switch. Played Golem Gate and can recommend it, it's a deck building rts. Keep your commander still to draw cards, various commander abilities, buildings, and units; no deck limit that I'm aware of but min 30 cards.

Check it out Anons.
Now pls rec me games c:

Forgot pic

Attached: images (1).jpg (300x168, 6K)

Bad North

Castlestorm

Crush Your Enemies

Element

Mushroom Wars 2

Siegecraft Commander

Crush Your Enemies

Element

Fuck me, better quality pic

Attached: Golem-Gates-Card-System-1024x576.jpg (1024x576, 117K)

Sweet, thank you user.

I noticed Bad North and meaning to look into it. Have you played Mushroom Wars 2? I was ready to pick it up a couple months ago before learning it were a mobil game first. Disappointing, but if it's fun then it's fun. I enjoyed Armello before realizing it also has a FREE mobil counterpart.

cabal did nothing wrong, it was just Kane uniting the brotherhood under Anton until his return

also my computers system name is CABAL
pic related

Attached: PROOFBBY.jpg (322x143, 10K)

Attached: 1452241094491.png (147x153, 55K)

staracraft 2
warraft 3
command and conquer red alert
age of empires 2

i wish i could play this on my current computer

Thoughts on Twisted Insurrection?

I think its kickass but buggy and the campaign is trash but full of SOUL

Attached: Command_and_conquer_logos_nod_1920x1200.jpg (1920x1200, 715K)

It feels mediocre. It's a Command and Conquer game, basically, but it's underwhelming despite generally being solid.

If I remember correctly, the campaign ends on a cliffhanger, and I doubt there'll be a sequel.

Kirov reporting.

any fun RTS to play in singleplayer? preferably from the last few years

every command and conquer game but generals and the forsaken one
i even liked RA3, thought it was fun but RA2 is hyperOmega elder god tier, hard to top

Starcraft brood wars & 2 have both taken years of my life and warcraft 3

>ask for RTS recommendations
>get recommended games from the 90s

Attached: 1477170198394.jpg (335x275, 40K)

Nice. My build was named TACITUS for a while.

Attached: 1562960690196.jpg (1024x576, 117K)

based and technology-of-peace-pilled

Attached: 1555274870945.jpg (680x456, 25K)

90s were peak PC gaming decade

c&c1 and red alert1 were my childhood so those

Attached: RA1_Nadia_Zelenkov.jpg (250x120, 7K)

RTS peaked in the late 90s/early 00s. Supreme Commander was the final hoorah and that released in '07.

>No Kohan: immortal sovereigns
Plebs, all of you

The most recent top-tier RTS is probably Company of Heroes 2, but I don't know if the campaigns are as good as they were in CoH1. Dawn of War 2's campaigns might be alright for you.
Stellaris is more grand strategy than RTS, but it's technically an RTS with the ability to pause and issue commands (like in Baldur's Gate-type CRPGs).
Divinity: Dragon Commander technically has RTS combat, but it might be better to just play it like grand strategy (autobattle and just stick to using the overworld). The RTS mode is very fast-paced and difficult, probably unbalanced. Playing diplomacy with the various races in Mass Effect-style conversations is the main draw of the game.
Planetary Annihilation is okay, I guess, but Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance is better.

Total Warhammer 2 is good if you don't mind the RTS being tactical-only, and it's fairly new.

Stronghold Crusader 2 is fairly recent, but it's not as good as the original Crusader.

Tooth and Tail is a very light RTS with a brief campaign, but it's moderately entertaining.

Sins of a Solar Empire is fairly dated at this point, but it doesn't need flashy graphics because of its perspective. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it could be described as a less complicated Stellaris.

Based AF

Attached: CelJaded-Top-100-Warlords-Battlecry-III-1.jpg (800x600, 131K)

Starcraft Brood War.
t. Terranchad

Attached: YOU GOTTA KEEP THEM HONEST.jpg (439x290, 24K)

CoH2 is a huge step down from CoH1, unless you're into MP.

Stronghold Crusader is unbelievably comfy.

MoW Assault Squad 2 is what Company of Heroes wishes it could be, can't go back to CoH after that.

Why is RTT > RTS Yea Forums?

terran are the true chad race
protoss have 2 units, goons and zealots
zerg just spam ling/hydras then mutas/lurkers then defilers and more lings

I figured. Co-op vs. AI and AI skirmishes are pretty much the same deal, though, from what I remember of playing both.

What about Planetary Annihilation: Titans?

I feel the opposite way. I tried a little MoWAS2 and went straight back to CoH. I like Command and Conquer-styled base builder RTS games more than RTT, though I do force myself to play Total Warhammer 2 for the setting.

I generally enjoy city builders with RTS combat more than either of those. Stronghold Crusader and Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery are wonderful.

Attached: 1537405107041.png (1920x1080, 2.72M)

Am I the only one who played this game?

Attached: uaw.jpg (256x360, 34K)

Good game, but I'd say it's overall a stepdown from TA/SC.

I pirated it many years after anyone cared about it and didn't really enjoy it. Decent setting, but the finite resources bothered me + I didn't really feel a draw to the factions. Probably should've played the campaign first instead of trying a skirmish.

>based around who can click things faster
Nah, micro only matters when you can actually macro. In fact, the only micro that matters below diamond is not running your army into siege tanks.
Youtubing X race build order and actually pulling it off in a timely manner will win you more games than any fancy micro will.

Sure it absolutely sucks for base building but combat, and gameplay wise its a straight upgrade. Fucking inventory system, amazing physics engine, limited ammo and fuel for everything, proper long range engagements, and of course no arcadey lame HP style vehicles, more module and armor based damage system.

youtube.com/watch?v=MnDJOm1J_Vk
Dangerously redpilled posts.

Each faction played completely differently, which was about the only thing I liked about it. It left a lot to be desired in their actual design.

The modding scene for Sins is such a fucking treat. Godbless all the fucks who let me create giant comfy fleet fights with UNSC vs Cylons.

I like StarCraft.

I'm forever sad that factions like the zerg that actually expand to cover the map never really took off.
It's cool to terraform.

Criminally underrated RTS coming through.

Attached: magic&mayhem.jpg (640x480, 86K)

>thinking about how far supreme commander could have come if it had survived
it was so ahead of its time, just imagine how it could have advanced

Attached: 1553667367999.png (367x202, 63K)

Have you heard of Heroes of Annihilated Empires? You can choose to start as a single RPG-style hero, or you can start with a base built around a statue of a hero that awakens later. The factions are different enough, thematically, though they probably play more similarly than in UaW.

I don’t see any particular reason it couldn’t be really good. 3 was generally great, it was just let down a little by small maps and the card system.

Because ALB and RD are trash

Shame that planet combat is so gay and boring

Haven't played in 3 years but I remember feeling extremely satisfied doing the ol burrow a cyborg commando into the enemy base with no way of responding in time. One issue I noticed with some of the new units they added is that they were some were either useless or completely overpowered, but the aesthetics were very nice.

warcraft 3

Byzantines fall into the 'drown your opponent in cheap trash units' category. They're also designed to be flexible.

Huns receive inflated attention due to Arabia maps which they excel on.

It had the biggest one you can have that makes people not want to keep playing an RTS. There is very little in the way of actual skill for strategy. Units sort of do their own fucking thing even with direct input. When you send a few bombers to take out some mass extractor and the other guy does the same, it is a total fucking RNG on who gets a free win early on by taking out the extractor or workers repairing it. Usually the game win too.

Pretty much exclusively fun to do a few people vs ai.

Play Age of Mythology!!!!!!!!!!!

Right NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached: 1512467253287.gif (719x642, 133K)

there's a big update, version 0.7 and as far as i know, thats the final update because its dead

they added new music, multiplayer maps and full GDI / Nod Campaign levels but whoever makes the campaign is obsessed with taking away control for cutscenes and long ass intros

i get legitimately pissed off hearing "unit lost unit lost" over and over because some dumb ass info intro to every level or because i sent a soldier to far into the map and it triggered some scripted event, like the never ending ion storm in GDI mission 10 that takes out all your flying units and hover units for the rest of the mission

Played it numerous times. The definition of soul.

I played 2 one with my old roomate. I picked goblins because he hates goblins and thought they were pathetic. I amassed a huge army and split it. Summoned Sauron and made a separate archer group. I lured him out with a small army in the center of the map and then had the archers rain down from a hill above. Then two large armies attacked from both sides. He didn't talk to me for awhile.

Based and Kamal Pilled

RED ALERT 2

I completely forgot this shit existed. I played it briefly on release, but now seems like a good time to give it another try.

The reason is it's being made by Relic and they've been pumping out shit for years now.

Starcraft 2 is the only one I've played so Starcraft 2.

>I don’t see any particular reason it couldn’t be really good.
Relic is making it and the last RTS they made was Dawn of War III.

>Battle Realms
muh nigga

>be 14
>can actually know what's going on yuri revenge and can defeat 7 insane difficulty bots with 1000 apm
>be 30
>can't understand the simplest redstone mechanics
FUCK, IS IT ALZHEIMER'S BROS?

Attached: EE19C04D477347818549B39FB279A39F.jpg (640x932, 89K)

PEACE THROUGH POWER

dude goblins were the shit! i looked smashing those early hero rushes with those 5 man goblin squads that had the halberds

Great taste user

>Supcom 3 will never release
>It will never bring modern computers to their knees and have 3 fully fledged campaigns like the original did
>It will never receive new factions and units through expansions
>It will never have a chance to have a crazy modding scene
>It will never stop supcom FA from being the swan song of the genre

Attached: 1555299446929.gif (500x324, 2.49M)

I like that the mod has redundant units, because it covers almost all of the codex of each faction.

My biggest issue with UA is that the game's pathfindong is atrocious and groups of units form into ugly inconsistent lines.

If the game had formations like the age games and better pathfinding it would be so much better.

As for favorite RTS, its hard to pick. I love sins of a solar empire and rise of nations for implementing 4x mechanics, starcraft 1 & 2, wc3, heroes of anihilated empires, warlords battlecry, armies of exigo and dawn of war for the factions, and sacrifice, original war, metal fatigue and brutal legend for the unique gameplay.

>Sins of Solar Empire... 4x mechanics
What's your opinion on Stellaris?

If you like tweaky rts, than C&C 3 is the best.

Stick to Dawn of War 1 + expo with racemods, unironically.

i have a toaster so i cant play it

That´s not really my experience. And even then, the macro is already pretty ridiclous.

AoE2 is the best RTS that ever was, and ever will be.
Timeless art style and mechanics. It's a shame that the "new" releases make it look so shitty. Looking forward to 4, I hope it's pre rendered 2.5d and not the style failure that 3 was.

Reminder that don't like starcraft, and wanted a good and fresh competitive scene. FUCK YOU

The only good contender that was Grey Goo sold poorly.

Not really an RTS, but AI War is so underrated.

You can reach the second highest rank in the game with under 100apm.

Dawn of War 3 is the exception rather than the rule though. DoW 2 and 1 are great. While, even though I´ve never really gotten into it, COH is a pretty good game.

Just through build orders? Because I find that hard to believe.

>that pathfinding
>that micromanagement

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug

everyone that made COH, DoW1&2 and best campaign on the genre is gone. Relic has high rotation of devs and each they made was directed by different dudes, the last two one literally complained mutiple times they genre is dead it should be made more casual appealing.

It's good but I can never get myself to enjoy the campaigns. The levels all just feel so samey and full of "turtle until you have a giant army to wipe the enemy with" type scenarios.

AoM is better

I think the card system and the home shipments are a nice touch to the game. I like the variability it adds by letting civs play a lot differently. They could have probably done away with leveling the Home City though. Even though it doesn't take long to get all the cards you'd want, it still comes off as handicapping newer players.

Play rise of the witch king with the Edain mod, it essentialy turns it into bfme1 but with more factions, better graphics and balance. They use the same building style that 1 had, instead of the "spam farms walls are useless" they implemented in 2. Its absolutely amazing

I still think they should emphasis the strategy rather than the real time aspect. Micro can go fuck itself.

>C&C series for nostalgia and mods
>Cossacks for comfy singleplayer
>AoE 2 for multiplayer
>SupCom for big brain multiplayer
>StarCraft for watching gook autism

*the best campaign in the genre being homeworld.

That sounds amazing. Always preferred build pads over the system they had in BFME 2.

It saddens me to think we are never going to get a third game that combines the good aspects of both games.

LET THE BOOK OF AGES, RECORD THIS DAY.

I really like Endless Legend and Space, EU4 and Stellaris are fun too.

Look up "under 100 apm" on youtube. Most of his games were under 100 apm, a few went over but not by much. He has some good guides as well.

Rex Chance, at your service.

Attached: IC.jpg (616x353, 51K)

I might. Like I said, I never really got into it because of how much it felt like a action game. But I do want to like it.

play Edain, you will be amazed. It kind of feels like BFME 3 because they rebuilt the game from scratch. the ai was also redone by the modders.

LOOKING BACK AT ME
I SEE THAT I NEVER REALLY GOT IT RIGHT
I NEVER STOPPED TO THINK OF YOU

>I've never played another game like it.
War for the Overworld is a copy of DK, although not as good. Dungeons saga is the same concept but more focused on killing the heroes of the surface and has more cringey humor.
I think you fight other keepers because heroes are too easy and boring sometimes. They don't build bases, they just hide behind trapped hallways or send some scouts to mess with your walls and that's it.

I played M&M:AoM and the concept was really cool. I wish they made a version with better graphics, protagonist was horrid.

Attached: hqdefault[1].jpg (480x360, 33K)

>ctfl+F empire at war
>4 results

I'm so glad someone remembers that game. Now with the modding community in full swing, it's only gotten better. My favorite mod has to be EAW Remake. The ships are beautiful, the variety is vast, and the attention to detail is outstanding. Imagine literally being able to see every single individual turret on a ship, and they show battle damage when hardpoints are destroyed. If I wasn't a crippling poorfag, I would've donated money to the modmaker.

>Lotus brothers attacking the river to farm yang
>Koril 1-shotting buildings later
>Kabuki warriors
I miss this game.

>Find a fucking flaw.
mediocre knock-off of TA
Not even as good as Spring and it was AAA game while spring was free.

Cossacks II is pretty underrated, not even fans of 1 and 3 seem to know it exists.
Fuckload of unique mechanics but also well balanced, polished and streamlined.

Also hands down the best ever representation of musket and bayonet warfare in a game.

Attached: Cossacks_2.jpg (286x400, 26K)

I don't know, the gameplay felt clunky when I played it. I think Empire and Napoleon Total War are better suited for this kind of thing.

Fookin' this. Streamlined automatic formation commands, no line drawing. Battles for the control of resource villages and roads that were actually vital for transportation. Actual combined arms warfare with line infantry, light infantry, cavalry, artillery and maybe the best implementation of engineers building fortifications. Also the factions are nicely varied. If only someone made a new game like that...

Meh I had fun with it when I learned how to abuse stand ground.
You can hold towns indefinitely with few units because millitia will automatically reinforce formations.

Yeah but if you are top 0.000000000000000000001% of Protoss you can use Reavers :^)

BW and SC2

The only one I've ever truly enjoyed is DoW 1. I buy a lot of RTS games but only because the potential is huge, yet only the ultimate apocalypse mod for SS comes close to an ideal RTS rather than micro garbage which every single RTS has.

this was me 12 hours ago and after seeing CoH mentioned a few times I decided to check it out. Been playing nonstop since then so thanks you fuckers

EA sure done fucked up. What happened to them

How's balance? I've always stuck with the unofficial patch.

Any glaringly ugly standout graphics, units, sounds, etc.?

Wargame, homeworld, Total Annihilation, KKND

C&C Generals + Red Alert 2

Try some less micro-heavy RTS games, then.

The Kohan series has squad-based units, like Dawn of War. The only micro is in changing formations for various benefits, but combat is entirely automated besides telling the squad to rout/retreat. You get to focus on customizing squads (you can make squads of just one unit type to capitalize on its strengths, or you can make blended squads with various special units supporting the main unit type), exploring, and expanding/building.

Battle for Middle Earth also uses squad-based units, but there is some micro for heroes (they don't attach to squads as in Dawn of War).

Ashes of the Singularity has a button that lets you turn multiple units into a big squad that works as one big unit, but I haven't played it enough to say it's not micro-intensive.

Total War can be micro-intensive, particularly with certain units and factions, but there's no base to mind during battles + scouting isn't as important and micro-heavy as it is in other RTS games.

Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery is definitely more of a city builder than an RTS, but it does have RTS combat that requires very little player intervention. Other than ships, units are just little visual candies for "camp" buildings that you can move and place near enemy buildings to attack (or defend, if the enemy puts a camp near one of yours).

That game is criminally underrated.

Currently playing Sudden Strike Gold. I love this game, but fuck artillery.
>tfw few good WW2 RTS games and the good ones are all made by slavs

Dawn of War 2 or Company of Heroes 2

Attached: 1135536826239.jpg (717x605, 149K)

Just finished Deserts of Kharak on classic difficulty. It was a lot of fun but if you use the default fleet preset at the start of the mission it becomes really easy. I couldn't maintain a fleet throughout the whole game because the fighting would carry on in cutscenes so I'd always lose something important between missions. Now it's time to play Homeworld Cataclysm/Emergence

I wholly recommend Project Celeste for anyone who wants to scratch that Age of Empires itch. It's completely free

Used to be brood war before I realized how unbalanced it was in terrans favor. Haven't found any replacement so far though

>tfw Spring:1944 is dead

because Red Dragon and Steel Division were garbage
Ruse was pretty okay, though held back by consolitis

Gonna be boring and say AoE II as my absolute fave, since it's the one I've played the most in a genre I haven't played very much of. Then DoW Dark Crusade, AoM and probably WC3 aswell.