What's the point of using orbital drop pods to put soldiers behind enemy lines...

What's the point of using orbital drop pods to put soldiers behind enemy lines, when you could just load the soldiers onto a ship and fly them behind enemy lines?

Also Halo thread

Attached: halo-3-odst-gallery-010-full-screen-1920x1080-9663af49b9ef4443bfa6bc45fbb24f8c.jpg (1920x1080, 216K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LCMqbVCyyaY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I haven't really thought about it before. I would assume its harder for AA to counter. Scattered small targets are harder to hit than larger troop carriers.

More like

>Having spaceships
>Not bombarding the shit out of everyone and everything there
>Load the cleanup crew only

because you can't shoot down a metal coffin hurling itself with speed of gravity on its taint to a random point that you, and only them know, and by the time you scram to get to location guerrilla warfare boogaloo comenses

because it's fucking cool

Harder to shoot down.

Literally tactically superior.
1 aa gun can shoot down 1 aircraft at a time.
1 aircraft is loaded with 1-2 pilots and 12 squadmates.
1 drop pod is 1 unit.

Numerically overwhelming an enemies ability to counter rapid troop deployment.

hey man these aint just ordinary soldiers, these are ODSTs!

see
you can apply this rule to everything

They are called helljumpers for a reason user, they jump in the middle of the firefight for backup

instant shock troops, faster then transports and less danger from AA

STEEL RAIN

Attached: icon[1].jpg (750x600, 43K)

ODST are literally one of the few wholly original and interesting parts of the Halo setting.

As far as we can assume:
>Drop pods require no trained crew
>Drop pods are faster to deploy
>Drop pods probably are harder to shoot down
>Drop pods require no or less fuel
>Drop pods are easier to transport on spaceships due to their compact space and design
>Drop pods are fucking cool
In the end neither is realistic for a scifi setting this advanced.

>ODST are literally one of the few wholly original... parts of the Halo setting.
What? Have you just not read, watched or played ANY pre-Halo Scifi? Fucking 40k of all things had it, let alone stuff like starship troopers.

Morale is a big factor. Humanity was losing, everyone knew it in the back of their heads. ODST were like spartans x10, and by that I mean everyone on the ground thought they were epic unkillable soldiers but ODSTs died 10x faster.
In lore, whenever the aliums talk about ODSTs they joke about them like annoying flies, and they know humanity uses them for a morale boost.

How come they don't get crushed when they hit the ground ? Same question applies for Titan Fall.

The bottom is lined with katanas.

They are designed so their terminal velocity is lower than the pressure needed to crush them
Ants are like this irl

Sorry but it doesn't answer the question. The poor soul inside would still be squished to bits on impact.

How ? Any impact speed beyond 10-20 km/h would at the very least break your legs. That's why we use parachutes IRL.

Titanfall has momentum-cancelling technology.

It's supposed to board enemy ships.

They have parachutes and retros to slow the descent.

Same technology that allows UNSC ships to fly in-orbit.

>How ? Any impact speed beyond 10-20 km/h would at the very least break your legs. That's why we use parachutes IRL.
like what said, it is supposed to board enemy ships not hit land, that is why so many of those ODSTs died on impact and you start the game severely wounded

It’s not the most viable strategy when you’re fighting a war mostly in your own territory and you only have fleeting periods of naval superiority.
Plus ODSTs are dropped for more important shit like asset recovery that requires a lighter hand.

I thought the whole point was the Covenant Orbital Armada was their main strength? I mean Orbital Bombardment isn't much of a detterant if the Enemy had spaships too.

"what are para-troopers?": the post: the movie: the game

I played Halo 4 but didn't pay any attention to the game because I hated it so much, what happened to the covenant after halo 3?
Sure the prophets were killed, but their race still existed, and the aliens as a whole still harbored massive hatred of humanity. It doesn't make sense for the war to simply end at that.

basically it's a shaky alliance with Brutes still being dicks

Isn't this literally just the same strategy used against the Strogg in Quake 2?

>original
This is your mind on halo

>odst are original

Nigger shits been done since the 40's, heinlein wrote about it as new age paratroops. FUCKING Halo 2-3 niggers I swear to god.

Attached: Maymays.jpg (510x546, 195K)

>They're for boarding ships
That doesn't make any sense at all
>Their pilots are called Orbital Drop Shock Troopers
>The pod is called a Single Occupant Exoatmospheric Insertion Vehicle
>The pods are dropped out from the bottom of a ship instead of being aimed at a ship target
>The pods have no way to maneuver in space in case their ship target moves
>The pods don't have any way to attach or cut into a ship
>The pods have parachutes

No, they're not, they were interesting when they were Master Chief's meat shields in Halo 2 and 3, like everything in Halo, they got ruined when they decided to explore them fo lore junkies.

*for

>Implying Halo didn't invent FPS

I didn't get an invite to either of the Reach flights this sucks man

I got an invite but the game didn't work for me at all.

Attached: 1564816957990.png (399x373, 186K)

This has to be bait.

all true except for
>The pods have no way to maneuver in space in case their ship target moves
because they actually do have thrusters even if they are only used for stabilisation and course adjustments

Never underestimate resetera's retardation.

They have depoloyable air brakes and dampening thrusters. Plus maybe shock absorption technology implemented into the harnesses and ODST BDU.

But in Halo CE you crash land in a Pelican, not a drop pod.

Blood Gulch is a bad map, prove me wrong

Attached: maxresdefault (4).jpg (1280x720, 113K)

Shock absorbers, parachutes, and I believe also short burn engines to slow descent immediately before impact.

The Slipspace rupture fried that though, which is why the ODST get so fucked up in the drop.

No they aren't. The goal was to board the ship from planetside, not drop directly onto the ship. If that was the plan they would have simply glanced off the shielding and died in freefall.

A ship is much easier to shoot down and detect.

No, you crash land in a bumblebee. Also, that user never mentioned Halo CE.

>dropped into the atmosphere
>needs a thruster
Why? What's its terminal velocity? Humans drop at 195km/h. How fast would a human housed in a metalic-enema drop that it wouldn't be enough without a thruster?

youtube.com/watch?v=LCMqbVCyyaY

Course correction, plus maybe added stability.

There doesn't seem to be any way for vectoring though. Why wouldn't they just add fins? Better yet, why not shape them like WW2 bombs?

Those aren't thrusters, it's just some effect they used to show atmospheric entry and speed. Rule of cool. They do have four small thrusters, but they're located on the sides and are for course correction and I think slowdown during terminal descent.

After the SOEIV has penetrated the atmosphere, at an altitude of 900 m. The upper exterior panels separate acting as a drag-type chute, slowing its descent some and helping to keep the pod on course by keeping it upright. At about 50 meters[citation needed], the pod’s computer controlled braking rockets engage, slowing the pod further; this allows for a safe (though somewhat abrupt) landing. Braking rockets on SOEIVs do fail on rare occasions, leaving the pod’s occupant to die on impact. It’s the death that every ODST fears, and is referred to in hushed tones as "digging your own grave."

SOEIVs are capable of smashing through almost any surface during re-entry, including buildings. However, a reinforced roof should be able to withstand the impact, allowing an ODST to begin his mission with a distinct vertical advantage.

Besides the distinct speed and shock value advantage that the SOEIV has, it also has another advantage over conventional systems. Because the SOEIV is dropped from above, this allows it to enter much tighter spaces like an urban area where a Pelican might have trouble maneuvering. This can also be useful on hazardous terrain where the long length of a Pelican makes landing a challenge.

A lot of people don't seem to realize both ODST and Spartans came into being before humanity was even aware of the Covenant. They were meant to be used bringing rebel colonies back into line through precision strikes and overwhelming force. Some of the stuff from the extended universe is pretty interesting, and some of it is complete fanfic tier.

>having a drop pod
>not being a drop pod

Attached: Section_8_Earth_by_Baldasseroni.jpg (1745x1764, 674K)

>blocked in america
OOH SAY CAN YOU SEEE

Stealth purposes, its much easier to spot and hit a ship while with a pod its possible the enemy will think its just a meteorite or debris from space and even if they notice its much harder to shoot down and reduces possible casualties since if you hit a ship the entire crew can be killed but with pods you just kill the one guy and still have several others to hit.

>Massive suit of armor
>barely 6 feet tall

Attached: [GLASS HIM].png (440x495, 300K)

Spartans being created as Riot Police kind of undermines the desperation of overwhelming odds (Even for people who have access to space travel) needed to create them in the first place. Like trying to use a repurpose a Mall Cop buggy to shoot down aircraft.

Because it's hard for AA weapons to shoot something that moves extremely fast and can't lock on.

Why read a bunch of boring old shit when you can read Halo books?

I think the implication in that game is that rather than mega-swole soldiers in super armor like SPARTANs or Space Marines they had normal soldiers in even more super-armor.

The covenant devolved into multiple splinter groups that are usually to busy fighting each other for legitimacy which is why humanity pretty much became the dominant power due to everybody else fighting each other and only occasionally attacking human worlds. It also helps that humanity has a shaky alliance with a few of the more powerful factions such as the Swords let by Arby.

>original

Christ alive...a story can be cool without being original, just say it's cool.

Also the humans got ahold of a massive amount of Forerunner tech that they managed to mature in the interim. That actually puts them on par with or better than their direct Covenant counterparts, despite being horribly outnumbered.

>halo invented FPS
>halo invented drop pods
>halo invented custom maps and gamerules
what else will halobabies attribute to halo?

Attached: gaylo.jpg (602x792, 103K)

What is there to prove wrong?
Any map that encourages the use of long range weaponry is bad. Halo is at its best when everything is medium-short range, even with vehicles it's better for there to be obstacles preventing long range tank camping.