I unironically believe that this is the worst JRPG of all time...

I unironically believe that this is the worst JRPG of all time. My friend was telling me that he loves it and I instantly lost all respect for him. Literally 0 soul in the entire game.

Attached: C131AB83-3AFA-463E-A56E-2ABBAB1386A9.png (1920x1080, 2.39M)

Well yeah it’s a square enix game last soulful game they made was TWEWY

Attached: 51115BBD-E815-4979-BF00-189117EAC8A1.jpg (470x495, 113K)

I felt really disappointed that the 8 stories never came together in any meaningful way ala something like SaGa Frontier. Because that game did it already and it did it better and it set up this expectation that if you're going to have this many stories that they should converge and make sense as a whole otherwise why group them together in such a fashion?

It's always such a great feeling when the divergent stories that seem to be completely unconnected have this Aha! moment where everything suddenly lines up and makes sense in a way it didn't before and then you're like, oh so that's why we spent so much time developing this seemingly ancillary character in this guy's storyline, he's the main antagonist of that girls story and he was right under our noses all along.

But this game none of the stories ever really mesh in any meaningful way and when you get characters in your party from other storylines it doesn't mean anything they're just along for the ride. So maybe if I never played a game that already did this and did it better my opinion of it would be higher but came off that game feeling like it was a mediocre PS1 game without the excuse of being 20 years old and trying something new.

Attached: SaGa Frontier.jpg (640x480, 54K)

Oh come on, how many JRPGs have you played?
Even if you think the game was disappointing, there's some real stinkers out there.

I'd say the worst I ever played was Beyond the Beyond and I got that for free because my friend hated it and didn't want it in his collection. Then again I don't think I got very far in it and neither did he. I played maybe the first 5 hours and was so out of it I dropped it. So if you put a gun to my head and asked me to say what is the worst JRPG you ever played I'd blurt out Beyond the Beyond but I don't think I ever game it fa fair shake. I went into it expecting the worse, and that might have poisoned the well for me. Then again I've never seen anyone fondly remember Beyond the Beyond so maybe it isn't worth giving a fair shake.

I got pretty bored after a dozen or so hours. All the fucking dungeons are just one big room with a path sprawling through it, that has a few side paths with a treasure chest.

hey dunkey

honestly the only jrpg i haven't liked enough to finish once i picked it up was FF7. i even finished enchanted arms on the 360

At first I was going to disagree with you but then I stack TWEWY against everything after that, and I think you may have a point.

I haven't even played the game but that pixel art on the left is pretty soulful.

You'd think so but the way it's presented makes it feel about as soulful as a korean gatcha mobile game.

>and I instantly lost all respect for him
He was never your friend.
How far did you get before dropping it?

>Beyond the Beyond
Relatable. Imagine desperately waiting for PS1 RPGs and then buying Beyond the Beyond on release day. (At least Wild Arms came out soon after.)

Attached: 57472.jpg (1980x2499, 1.04M)

Cuckey isn't your friend. Cuckey will never be your friend.

the battle system and npc interaction is what makes the game good. story can't make up for shit gameplay but good gameplay can make up for shit story, octopath does the latter which make it a good game.

t. never reached gates of finis

The fucking final boss. I would not have an issue with it the boss is tough however my last run had me narrowly get through phase one until he wrecked me with his second phase.

No, the real problem is the unneeded Megaman Boss Rush that wastes 10 to 30 mins of your time beforehand. Not spoiling anything just in general why I've having difficulty wrapping up this game.

Attached: 1554345148577.png (1136x640, 950K)

Ya it does suck
It looks fucking amazing
It sounds FUCKING AMAZING
and the story aint half bad
But actually gameplay?
Holy fuck I have played shitty indie eroge jrpgs that are legions ahead of this.
Its such a shame. Their was clearly a lot of people who really put in a ton of work for the game.

Octopath has bad gameplay compared to what traditional JRPGs exactly?

Get gud

Yeah, the game is not somewhat to blame it is all my fault when I admit that I lost to the second part of the boss. Hey you know another JRPG that puts in this handicap of no save points in a hard as hell endgame FF3!

Attached: 1567464997810.jpg (816x979, 84K)

I beat galdera both phases on my first try and I barely knew anything about the fight besides the fact I needed all characters.

you need to realize how much control and power you have within the battle system in general by the time you get to galdera, this is THE time to use all those rare consumable items and abuse the broken advanced jobs, overpowered passive skills and alfyn's concoct which can break the game if used correctly.

>My friend
Don't lie to us. You don't have any friends.

Fuck I love SaGa Frontier so goddamn much.

I love the class system in this. The only thing is that Ha'annit's class talent wasn't integrated very well.

I got Suikoden as my first PS1 JRPG and then FF7 came out right after that.

My friend gave me his copy of Beyond the Beyond after I had already finished FF9 so it was pretty late into the PS1's life.

Good, you saw through the squeenix boomer cashgrab.

>Literally 0 soul in the entire game.
All memes aside, it really is a husk of a game. And it TRIES. It tries so fucking hard to be all emotional and shit but it's like a game made by robots. Fuck OT.

it's good, learn to speed run it

>Literally 0 soul in the entire game
So it's an average JRPG then?

Not that guy but Gates of Finis felt super tacked on, as if it were a last minute addition.
No voice acting, no cutscenes after the battle, no characters reacting to the diary readings.

Considering all the foreshadows and "puzzle pieces" to the Gates of finis and lore in general it feels like the whole "character not interacting with each other" thing is an intentional decision. The "Party Banter" thing is what feels like a last minute addition in comparison rather.